the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 405 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 786Likes

post #12121 of 15032 Old 02-08-2018, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2086 Post(s)
Liked: 1945
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedD View Post
I'm itching to get a new TV, ideally a 65" but other unplanned expenses keep getting in my way.

My current set is a Sony XBR-55X800B, which allows me to enjoy the 4K output of the Xbox One X at least. Curious to get thoughts on how much of an upgrade a 55" TCL C-series would be, at least I would have HDR. I noticed that set is only $399 at my local Costco, so I would be OK with it being an interim set until a 65" with more bells and whistles takes its place.
Not sure the TCL C would be much of an upgrade for you. It will give you Dolby Vision and HDR 10 along with the Roku platform but it's an edge lit TV similar to your Sony. And it's a 60 Hz panel as well. You might want to wait for the 2018 TCL 65 inch 6 series.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12122 of 15032 Old 02-08-2018, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Might be worth waiting for the 2018 Sony models, apparently they are shipping in a few weeks at Best Buy. Prices are fairly reasonable compared to the 900E series:
https://www.avsforum.com/sony-announc...hd-tv-pricing/
Even Sony is going with those stupid edge stands. Why do they think making people by a new stand also if they buy a bigger TV is a wonderful idea?
post #12123 of 15032 Old 02-08-2018, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
Even Sony is going with those stupid edge stands. Why do they think making people by a new stand also if they buy a bigger TV is a wonderful idea?
IMO it gives it more stability than the center based stands but it does have the disadvantage of requiring a wider piece of furniture to place it on. One can always wall mount as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12124 of 15032 Old 02-08-2018, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
IMO it gives it more stability than the center based stands but it does have the disadvantage of requiring a wider piece of furniture to place it on. One can always wall mount as well.
I have no interest in wall mounting, which is a complete waste of time since you still need someplace for your cable/satellite box, sound system, game system, HTPC, etc. anyway. Plus TV tables are at the perfect viewing height while most all wall mountings are done to high and you have to tilt your neck up to watch. All my TVs have center stands, and all are perfectly stable. My old 46" plasma sits on a 48" wide table and I'm not buying a new larger one just because I want to go to a 55" when it finally dies. But with 28,000+ hours on it, maybe it will never die. Only TVs with center stands need apply.

The only reason Vizio, Samsung and now Sony are going with these stands is because they are cheaper and I assume they think they look cool.
AV Challenged likes this.
post #12125 of 15032 Old 02-08-2018, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 4255 Post(s)
Liked: 4552
Quote:
I have no interest in wall mounting, which is a complete waste of time since you still need someplace for your cable/satellite box, sound system, game system, HTPC, etc. anyway. Plus TV tables are at the perfect viewing height while most all wall mountings are done to high and you have to tilt your neck up to watch. All my TVs have center stands, and all are perfectly stable. My old 46" plasma sits on a 48" wide table and I'm not buying a new larger one just because I want to go to a 55" when it finally dies. But with 28,000+ hours on it, maybe it will never die. Only TVs with center stands need apply.

The only reason Vizio, Samsung and now Sony are going with these stands is because they are cheaper and I assume they think they look cool.
It's not a waste of time to wall mount when you can hide wires inside the walls and/or have your A/V gear in a closet. It is a much cleaner look to wall mount without question. Personally having your TV on a stand is hideous today lol. The only wall mounts that are too high are incorrectly measured installs. I've never wall mounted a TV and had to look up at the screen. You also have adjustment up and down when you install the mount to the TV.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
post #12126 of 15032 Old 02-08-2018, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
It's not a waste of time to wall mount when you can hide wires inside the walls and/or have your A/V gear in a closet. It is a much cleaner look to wall mount without question. Personally having your TV on a stand is hideous today lol. The only wall mounts that are too high are incorrectly measured installs. I've never wall mounted a TV and had to look up at the screen. You also have adjustment up and down when you install the mount to the TV.
Sure it is, you just proved it saying that after you waste money buying a wall mount, and waste time and effort installing the mount and mounting the TV on it, then you have to hide the wires behind the wall and then hide your A/V gear in a closet. Of course then you also have to hide all the wires going to the closet, wherever that is. Why would anyone want to "have your A/V gear in a closet" anyway? All my wires are hidden behind a nice looking maple TV table, with shelves and drawers for my A/V equipment, DVDs and accessories, and they are all right in front of the TV where the need to be. But you know, each to their own.

The only wall mount TV that interests me is the Samsung Frame, which actually sits perfectly flat, has a wood frame around it, and displays artwork when the TV isn't being used. Too bad the TV itself isn't very good, but maybe they'll use a better one in future models if there are any. But then, if you mount it like art, it will sit kind of high and you'll have to look up at it. So it still wouldn't be ideal. Regular TVs, IMO, look pretty hideous on a wall as they don't sit flat, and many are tilted down a bit so they stick out from the wall with the mount visible.
post #12127 of 15032 Old 02-08-2018, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Not sure the TCL C would be much of an upgrade for you. It will give you Dolby Vision and HDR 10 along with the Roku platform but it's an edge lit TV similar to your Sony. And it's a 60 Hz panel as well. You might want to wait for the 2018 TCL 65 inch 6 series.
Thanks for the response, my brain keeps thinking your last line - the 65" TCL is going to be the TV I really want. It was surprising seeing the C for such a low price at Costco today, if only they carried the 65" model instead of just the 55 and 75.
post #12128 of 15032 Old 02-08-2018, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Sure it is, you just proved it saying that after you waste money buying a wall mount, and waste time and effort installing the mount and mounting the TV on it, then you have to hide the wires behind the wall and then hide your A/V gear in a closet. Of course then you also have to hide all the wires going to the closet, wherever that is. Why would anyone want to "have your A/V gear in a closet" anyway? All my wires are hidden behind a nice looking maple TV table, with shelves and drawers for my A/V equipment, DVDs and accessories, and they are all right in front of the TV where the need to be. But you know, each to their own.

The only wall mount TV that interests me is the Samsung Frame, which actually sits perfectly flat, has a wood frame around it, and displays artwork when the TV isn't being used. Too bad the TV itself isn't very good, but maybe they'll use a better one in future models if there are any. But then, if you mount it like art, it will sit kind of high and you'll have to look up at it. So it still wouldn't be ideal. Regular TVs, IMO, look pretty hideous on a wall as they don't sit flat, and many are tilted down a bit so they stick out from the wall with the mount visible.
Personally I like the clean look of a wall mount, and agree that most people have their TVs mounted too high (likely out of ignorance). Here is a wall mounting tool that makes it easy to hide the cables/wires, and doesn't require a media closet. Also IMO, the larger the TV screen the better it looks as a wallmount.

Dave, is this the year that you're going to upgrade to HDR? What if you can't find a TV that you like, that has a center based mount? What would you do?

Last edited by PlanetAVS; 02-08-2018 at 08:06 PM.
post #12129 of 15032 Old 02-08-2018, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedD View Post
Thanks for the response, my brain keeps thinking your last line - the 65" TCL is going to be the TV I really want. It was surprising seeing the C for such a low price at Costco today, if only they carried the 65" model instead of just the 55 and 75.
The $399 TCL price is tempting admittedly. Hopefully the new TCL 65 6 will be out soon, the 2018 Sonys are shipping this month.
post #12130 of 15032 Old 02-09-2018, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Personally I like the clean look of a wall mount, and agree that most people have their TVs mounted too high (likely out of ignorance). Here is a wall mounting tool that makes it easy to hide the cables/wires, and doesn't require a media closet. Also IMO, the larger the TV screen the better it looks as a wallmount.

Dave, is this the year that you're going to upgrade to HDR? What if you can't find a TV that you like, that has a center based mount? What would you do?
I don't feel any need to upgrade, I'm very happy with the old plasma. We exclusively watch TV through a cable box, and nothing looks better than a plasma on that. I have no interest in You-tube garbage or anything like that. We've tried Netflix and most everything on there is pretty mediocre so no interest in that. I watch lots of sports and we do watch movies on cable and an occasional Blu-ray. I'm always keeping up with the current technology because with 28,000+ hours the TV you never know when the old Panny might fail. Right now, if that were to happen, the Sony 55" 900E would be perfect for me (my wife would freak out with anything larger). A great performer at a great price, and it even has a nice center stand! So that would be a no brainer for me. For 2018 I might consider an LG OLED if they can make a few improvements like ditching ABL, but we'll see on that.

I don't want to replace the stand, since it has the wife's seal of approval and meets all my other requirements for storage. Even if I was a wall mount guy, my TV is in a corner on a wall covered in windows with a gas fireplace in the middle. The gas fireplace even has a huge semi-circular window above it so, no wall mount is even possible. My brother-in-law moved into my summer beach house after his divorce and brought his 60" Samsung 1080p LCD with him. He mounted it on the wall since he, for some reason, threw away the stand. IMO it looks terrible on the wall - it does not sit flat. From the dining area, directly off to the side, you can see the mount as it isn't flush to the wall with a small down tilt. I hate that TV anyway, he loves SOE, so I can hardly watch it and off-angle viewing is very bad. I had small old 720p plasma there that you could see clearly from the couch area, the kitchen and the dining area which are at 45 to 70 degrees off angle. Not so much off-angle viewing with the much larger VA panel LCD. I moved the old 42" plasma to another room and I mostly watch that when we go there in the summer.

I did wall mount my friend's 60" Samsung plasma for him last year. Don't know why he wanted to do that as he later built a large cabinet that's right beneath it anyway. Plus there's an HVAC return right beneath it so hiding the wires behind the wall became a bit annoying. But I mounted it low so you don't have to look up at it.
AV Challenged likes this.
post #12131 of 15032 Old 02-09-2018, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
After researching, I have narrowed the choices for my new 65-inch TV down to the LG C7 or the Samsung KS9800. I know the KS9800 is a bit older, but it seems to have a good following and gets good reviews. Plus, it is about $300 less than the LG. On the other hand, the LG gets great reviews and has more up-to-date technology.

I will use it as an every-day TV in our family room, which gets lots of natural light during the day, and medium to low light in the evenings/night. It will primarily be used for cable/satellite and streaming - lots of sports during football and hockey season. Any thoughts on which to choose? Does one have a game-breaking advantage over the other?
post #12132 of 15032 Old 02-09-2018, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1450 View Post
After researching, I have narrowed the choices for my new 65-inch TV down to the LG C7 or the Samsung KS9800. I know the KS9800 is a bit older, but it seems to have a good following and gets good reviews. Plus, it is about $300 less than the LG. On the other hand, the LG gets great reviews and has more up-to-date technology.

I will use it as an every-day TV in our family room, which gets lots of natural light during the day, and medium to low light in the evenings/night. It will primarily be used for cable/satellite and streaming - lots of sports during football and hockey season. Any thoughts on which to choose? Does one have a game-breaking advantage over the other?
Does your family room have off-angle seating? All VA panels have narrow viewing angles but curved ones can look exceptionally weird at off angles as the nearest side get a bit squished by the curved leading edge.

Curved TVs are best viewed seated directly in front of the center of the screen at a close distance. If that's what you'll be doing, the KS9800 is one to consider. The KS9800 is a very bright FALD set, but it is a 2016 model and newer ones have improved processing of FALD and HDR. You should carefully review the thread here on an older model TV before making a purchase since you may not get any future firmware updates.

If you need off-angle viewing, just get the LG OLED and be done with it.
post #12133 of 15032 Old 02-09-2018, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Returning the Sony XBR55900E that was delivered yesterday

I am returning this TV today due to dead pixels. It was delivered yesterday evening. After thinking more about what my needs/daily use are I am not sure now if I want to get the same model/brand. Plus I'm just disheartened by this experience. I had done quite a bit of research before pulling the trigger on the Sony 55 XBR900E model. This is the second Sony TV I bought that has had display issues. The other was a Sony KDL 46NX720 that went bad after 3 years of limited use. I have a 14 year old Sony Grand Wega KDF 55WF655 RP TV that is running great on the original lamp and I intend to keep it as long as I can. The XBR900E was for the bedroom for watching Netflix and YouTube at night mostly. I don't have cable or DVD or Blu Ray or any gaming consoles.

Quite honestly, I did not see much difference in watching Netflix (The Crown) last night on the 900E as compared to the old Grand Wega. My Internet speed is capped at 5 Mbps and will not support 4K streaming and I don't think it was upscaling it to 4K.

What other TVs would be best for just watching Netflix - 55" max? I am not sure if it is worth spending so much on this TV when it isn't as reliable as a cheaper brand. There are a bunch of 11-12 year old non-smart Vizio TVs in my building gym that are still running to this day.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic1.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	264.9 KB
ID:	2358352   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic3.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	362.0 KB
ID:	2358354   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic4.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	2358356   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic2.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	2358358  
post #12134 of 15032 Old 02-09-2018, 01:00 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Does your family room have off-angle seating? All VA panels have narrow viewing angles but curved ones can look exceptionally weird at off angles as the nearest side get a bit squished by the curved leading edge.

Curved TVs are best viewed seated directly in front of the center of the screen at a close distance. If that's what you'll be doing, the KS9800 is one to consider. The KS9800 is a very bright FALD set, but it is a 2016 model and newer ones have improved processing of FALD and HDR. You should carefully review the thread here on an older model TV before making a purchase since you may not get any future firmware updates.

If you need off-angle viewing, just get the LG OLED and be done with it.

Good point. We do have some off-angle seating, and I would be kicking myself if it posed a problem. You made my decision easier, for sure. Many thanks.
post #12135 of 15032 Old 02-10-2018, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonsazkin View Post
I am returning this TV today due to dead pixels. It was delivered yesterday evening. After thinking more about what my needs/daily use are I am not sure now if I want to get the same model/brand. Plus I'm just disheartened by this experience. I had done quite a bit of research before pulling the trigger on the Sony 55 XBR900E model. This is the second Sony TV I bought that has had display issues. The other was a Sony KDL 46NX720 that went bad after 3 years of limited use. I have a 14 year old Sony Grand Wega KDF 55WF655 RP TV that is running great on the original lamp and I intend to keep it as long as I can. The XBR900E was for the bedroom for watching Netflix and YouTube at night mostly. I don't have cable or DVD or Blu Ray or any gaming consoles.

Quite honestly, I did not see much difference in watching Netflix (The Crown) last night on the 900E as compared to the old Grand Wega. My Internet speed is capped at 5 Mbps and will not support 4K streaming and I don't think it was upscaling it to 4K.

What other TVs would be best for just watching Netflix - 55" max? I am not sure if it is worth spending so much on this TV when it isn't as reliable as a cheaper brand. There are a bunch of 11-12 year old non-smart Vizio TVs in my building gym that are still running to this day.

Thanks for any suggestions.
If you're watching non-4k content looking for an upgrade with the upscaling...that's pretty unheard of - as far as an enthusiast goes. But I understand we're not all cut from the same cloth!

If you're turned off by Sony and aren't worried about 4k, HDR or gaming I'd get the Samsung MU9000 which has great upscaling, color and brightness. It's onboard apps and dashboard are about 9 million times easier to use, and faster too - and I have the 900e.

I'm pretty sure there is no upscaling "setting" in either the Sony or Samsung TV, it just automatically does it, all the time. You may notice it, you may not.

Good luck! Some others may be able to point you out different brands but I'm pretty sure that the Sony and the Sammy have the best upscaling!
vonsazkin likes this.

65" 900E Tee Vee | Denon 6300H AVR | PSA MTM-210s | PSA MTM-210c | PSA MTM-110s | Canton 880 InCeilings | Rythmik FV25HP
post #12136 of 15032 Old 02-10-2018, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Personally I like the clean look of a wall mount, and agree that most people have their TVs mounted too high (likely out of ignorance).
Wall mounting is the way to go.
Just as with seating distance, that's up to the owner to decide what 'too high or far' is.
cmdrdredd likes this.
post #12137 of 15032 Old 02-10-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javan robinson View Post
If you're watching non-4k content looking for an upgrade with the upscaling...that's pretty unheard of - as far as an enthusiast goes. But I understand we're not all cut from the same cloth!

If you're turned off by Sony and aren't worried about 4k, HDR or gaming I'd get the Samsung MU9000 which has great upscaling, color and brightness. It's onboard apps and dashboard are about 9 million times easier to use, and faster too - and I have the 900e.

I'm pretty sure there is no upscaling "setting" in either the Sony or Samsung TV, it just automatically does it, all the time. You may notice it, you may not.

Good luck! Some others may be able to point you out different brands but I'm pretty sure that the Sony and the Sammy have the best upscaling!
Thanks for the response and the suggestion. We currently live in a condo and are buying a house in the next year or so. Wife and I had 2 options when we were looking at TVs. Buy a good/more upscale 4K TV for our condo bedroom that would be great for the bedroom in the future house or get a cheaper Vizio/TCL that could later be put in the guest room of the house. Our current and future needs are simply Netflix and YouTube - watch an episode or two before bed. We went with the former/more expensive option only to be disappointed. Now we are seriously considering getting a cheap 49-55" TCL or Vizio 4K for around $300-400 that will then go in the guest room in the future. If it lasts 3-4 years, that is fine as it wouldn't cost too much to start with. If it lasts 10 years, awesome! We don't get much time for TV as is and the Grand Wega in the living room works great, albeit it takes up more room owing to its size. It is worth more to us than the $100 it may fetch us now (It cost $3750 back in 2004). I like that by connecting it to a slim Win 10 desktop, it actually is such a better way to watch and browse content on it than most smart TVs.

I really wish manufacturers would make non-smart TVs again - give an option to consumers. Hook up a cheap desktop or Chromecast to it and you're good to go with better keyboard/voice input.
post #12138 of 15032 Old 02-10-2018, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by javan robinson View Post

The Samsung MU9000 might be a good alternative but it's even more expensive than the Sony 900E. Until your limited internet speed is increased, or you start consuming other 4K content such as UHD discs you might want to consider a Vizio M55 or a TCL C or S series 55 inch panel

Here are the Rtngs ratings for 55 inch panels
vonsazkin and javan robinson like this.
post #12139 of 15032 Old 02-10-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
The Samsung MU9000 might be a good alternative but it's even more expensive than the Sony 900E. Until your limited internet speed is increased, or you start consuming other 4K content such as UHD discs you might want to consider a Vizio M55 or a TCL C or S series 55 inch panel

Here are the Rtngs ratings for 55 inch panels
Thanks! I don't see us consuming 4K content for the next 2-3 years so it'll be a cheaper 4K TV for the bedroom now. I'd get a full HD TV but the price difference is so low, it makes sense to get a 4K set. I imagine OLED TVs will be a lot more affordable in the next 2-3 years when we might be in the market for a high end TV. By then there'll be laser light or whatever...who knows.
javan robinson likes this.
post #12140 of 15032 Old 02-10-2018, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonsazkin View Post
Thanks for the response and the suggestion. We currently live in a condo and are buying a house in the next year or so. Wife and I had 2 options when we were looking at TVs. Buy a good/more upscale 4K TV for our condo bedroom that would be great for the bedroom in the future house or get a cheaper Vizio/TCL that could later be put in the guest room of the house. Our current and future needs are simply Netflix and YouTube - watch an episode or two before bed. We went with the former/more expensive option only to be disappointed. Now we are seriously considering getting a cheap 49-55" TCL or Vizio 4K for around $300-400 that will then go in the guest room in the future. If it lasts 3-4 years, that is fine as it wouldn't cost too much to start with. If it lasts 10 years, awesome! We don't get much time for TV as is and the Grand Wega in the living room works great, albeit it takes up more room owing to its size. It is worth more to us than the $100 it may fetch us now (It cost $3750 back in 2004). I like that by connecting it to a slim Win 10 desktop, it actually is such a better way to watch and browse content on it than most smart TVs.

I really wish manufacturers would make non-smart TVs again - give an option to consumers. Hook up a cheap desktop or Chromecast to it and you're good to go with better keyboard/voice input.
Hey sounds good and as mentioned above, I think a TCL or Vizio would suit you quite nicely.

We'll see you in the future

65" 900E Tee Vee | Denon 6300H AVR | PSA MTM-210s | PSA MTM-210c | PSA MTM-110s | Canton 880 InCeilings | Rythmik FV25HP
post #12141 of 15032 Old 02-10-2018, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I’ve been looking for an upgrade to my VIZIO P602ui-B3 and was interested in the vizio p65-e1 until I saw a thread on this forum. I was originally looking to purchase an OLED tv until I did more research. I mainly use it for gaming(Xbox One X and occasional PC games) so screen burn in would be a real issue. Having said that, if there are that many issues plaguing the E1, is there anything comparable? I’ll probably wait until Black Friday to get the best deal. 4K and HDR is a must for me. Thanks for any advice you can offer.
post #12142 of 15032 Old 02-10-2018, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom0713 View Post
I’ve been looking for an upgrade to my VIZIO P602ui-B3 and was interested in the vizio p65-e1 until I saw a thread on this forum. I was originally looking to purchase an OLED tv until I did more research. I mainly use it for gaming(Xbox One X and occasional PC games) so screen burn in would be a real issue. Having said that, if there are that many issues plaguing the E1, is there anything comparable? I’ll probably wait until Black Friday to get the best deal. 4K and HDR is a must for me. Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Since you can wait, and gaming is the primary use I would suggest waiting for the new 2018 TCL 65 inch 6 series. It will have 120 FALD zones and if it is comparable to the 2017, will have one of the lowest input lags on the market.
post #12143 of 15032 Old 02-11-2018, 11:10 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm in a bit of pickle with my current TV situation. I purchased a 65 inch x850e last week and am currently on my third one due to defects. I do understand the TV won't be perfect but the issues have been too noticeable to ignore. At this moment I currently have one that has some moderate backlight bleeding and most noticeably one of the corners is much brighter than the rest. I am unsure if this is just a quality management problem with Sony but I feel quite unsatisfied with my purchase when viewing the TV in a dark setting.

So my question is should I swap to another TV in the same price range or wait for better technology to decrease in price? Seems like an odd time to be purchasing mid range TV's. Any input is helpful!

Thank you.
post #12144 of 15032 Old 02-11-2018, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyllan View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm in a bit of pickle with my current TV situation. I purchased a 65 inch x850e last week and am currently on my third one due to defects. I do understand the TV won't be perfect but the issues have been too noticeable to ignore. At this moment I currently have one that has some moderate backlight bleeding and most noticeably one of the corners is much brighter than the rest. I am unsure if this is just a quality management problem with Sony but I feel quite unsatisfied with my purchase when viewing the TV in a dark setting.

So my question is should I swap to another TV in the same price range or wait for better technology to decrease in price? Seems like an odd time to be purchasing mid range TV's. Any input is helpful!

Thank you.
Maybe you want to get away from an edge-lit set. If you don't need a tuner, you could try a Vizio P65-E1 which is an FALD set at just about the same price.
post #12145 of 15032 Old 02-11-2018, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

the "help me choose an LCD" thread

Quote:

It isn’t a waste of time when you don’t have any wires, boxes, or stands visible. Just the tv on the wall. So much nicer looking. Lots of people have an AV rack in a closet because they don’t want all their amps and such out in the open with lights and such on them. For people with controlled lighting in their room this is a factor.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
post #12146 of 15032 Old 02-11-2018, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It isn’t a waste of time when you don’t have any wires, boxes, or stands visible. Just the tv on the wall. So much nicer looking. Lots of people have an AV rack in a closet because they don’t want all their amps and such out in the open with lights and such on them. For people with controlled lighting in their room this is a factor.
It's pointless to keep going on about this, some like wall mounting, some don't. But I will point out that a cabinet with doors will hide all those lights you find so bothersome. It can also hide the wires you don't like. And most humans like furniture in their rooms anyway, not just open wall space defined by a large rectangular TV.

But, since someone will certainly return to defend their wall mount, I will state for the record, that I will not respond to any more wall mounters!!
post #12147 of 15032 Old 02-11-2018, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's pointless to keep going on about this, some like wall mounting, some don't. But I will point out that a cabinet with doors will hide all those lights you find so bothersome. It can also hide the wires you don't like. And most humans like furniture in their rooms anyway, not just open wall space defined by a large rectangular TV.

But, since someone will certainly return to defend their wall mount, I will state for the record, that I will not respond to any more wall mounters!!
Cabinets often inhibit airflow around hot amps. Open air racks are the best bet.

post #12148 of 15032 Old 02-12-2018, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I own a 65" 2015 Sony 850C. I have been unhappy with this TV since after a few months from purchase, picture is quite bad. I posted the whole story on the dedicated thread, the short version is I believe I have a bad panel but Sony denied any claim under warranty.
The bottom line: I've had it, and want to replace this TV with something in the $2/2.5K range.
I'm torn between the LG C7 and the Sony 930E (although a little burned by Sony, 2 friends have this set and looks great, not showing any defects mine has).
So I guess it boils down to simple technology pros and cons.
I do like the deep black and viewing angle factor of the OLED, a little concerned about image retention.
Also, although not a big fan of Android (Apple all around), I got quite used to the system. Is WebOS better or worse?

Any advice?
post #12149 of 15032 Old 02-12-2018, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renpar61 View Post
I own a 65" 2015 Sony 850C. I have been unhappy with this TV since after a few months from purchase, picture is quite bad. I posted the whole story on the dedicated thread, the short version is I believe I have a bad panel but Sony denied any claim under warranty.
The bottom line: I've had it, and want to replace this TV with something in the $2/2.5K range.
I'm torn between the LG C7 and the Sony 930E (although a little burned by Sony, 2 friends have this set and looks great, not showing any defects mine has).
So I guess it boils down to simple technology pros and cons.
I do like the deep black and viewing angle factor of the OLED, a little concerned about image retention.
Also, although not a big fan of Android (Apple all around), I got quite used to the system. Is WebOS better or worse?

Any advice?
Why are you worried about IR? What will you be doing that might cause it?
post #12150 of 15032 Old 02-12-2018, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Think it is time to finally upgrade my Samsung LN46A630 that I bought almost 10 years ago. Looking to get either a 50" or 55" tv to fit on top of a 55" stand. I have a satellite speaker setup so if I get a bigger tv then I would need to move the side speakers to the first shelf which I don't think would affect the sound too much. I have a Yamaha receiver to connect to the TV that passes through 4k signals and I have a Amazon FireTV (gen 1), PS3, Steam Link box and a Nintendo Switch connected to it. I've been looking into the Vizio P or M series tvs and the Sony 900e series as well. Both seem great and have amazing reviews and are reasonably priced. I think getting the LG OLED is a bit more than I want to spend but it did look much better at Best Buy. It would be nice if the tvs had all the apps I want (Netflix, Amazon, HBO, Plex, Youtube) all built in but I feel like that they are never as good as Apple or Amazon. But getting the latest FireTV is only $50. Not sure how long I would have to wait for anything newer coming around but would definitely like a new tv sometime soon.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Cables Interconnects , Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Sony , Toshiba

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page