the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 418 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 807Likes

post #12511 of 15194 Old 04-26-2018, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2191 Post(s)
Liked: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by N3wtclguy View Post
was about to type out that i misread.....Now to decide on the 5 or 6. 200 buck difference. its for someone who is a non gamer. what are you guys thoughts on that?
If the buyer has the budget and watches in lower light conditions, the FALD benefits of the 6 would be worthwhile IMO.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/pict.../local-dimming
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12512 of 15194 Old 04-26-2018, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I had an LG 65UH60 and watch TV (Uverse) in a well lit living room. The LG was my first 4K TV and Blurays look great, but Uverse TV was not impressive (I watch Uverse 95% of the time). I now need a bigger TV for my new house. The new TV will be above the fire place, couch is 16ft away, eating table is 25ft away, and kitchen is 35ft away. So I need 80+ inches. Budget started out at $3k, but it can move up if its truly worth it. These are my current choices.

1) Samsung 82" MU82M000 (MU82M00D) for $3k from Costco or BJs, slightly less on ebay.
2) Sony 85" 850F for $600 more
3) Samsung 82" NU82M000 for $1000 more
3) Sony 85" 900F for $1800 more

Those are current choices. The MU82 is the least and what my wife wants because she can get it from Costco. I'd like the best for the price.

Thank you

Last edited by Bmr4life; 04-26-2018 at 02:24 PM.
post #12513 of 15194 Old 04-26-2018, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmr4life View Post
I watch TV (Uverse) in a well lit living room. TV will be above the fire place, couch is 16ft away, eating table is 25ft away, and kitchen is 35ft away. So I need 80+ inches. Budget started out at $3k, but it can move up if its truly worth it. These are my current choices.

1) Samsung 82" MU82M000 (MU82M00D) for $3k from Costco or BJs, slightly less on ebay.
2) Sony 85" 850F for $600 more
3) Samsung 82" NU82M000 for $1000 more
3) Sony 85" 900F for $1800 more

Those are current choices. The MU82 is the least and what my wife wants because she can get it from Costco. I'd like the best for the price.

Thank you
The 82 MU8000 gives excellent brightness for your Uverse SDR. It won't give very good HDR brightness though. The Sony 85 900F is a much better TV but at almost twice the street price. The Sony 850F is an IPS panel meaning better viewing angles for your various seating positions but with poorer black levels (which might not be as noticeable if you are watching in brighter conditions). The Samsung NU8000 is not significantly better than the MU8000 and is probably not worth the extra money

Incidentally you can get the Samsung 82MU8000 fairly regularly at Frys for $2599 via promo code. However Costco gives you the advantage of rewards, extended warranty and extended return policy
Bmr4life likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12514 of 15194 Old 04-27-2018, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
At 8 to 10 feet, 75" is fine. You might also look at the cheaper but similar Q8FN 75" which just got a great review at Rtings.
I think you are on to something. I’ll have to see how much of an improvement the Q9 is vs Q8. As the Q8 comes in under even the Sony price wise. I have a 55” Samsung now so going to 75 is a huge jump. If I go 75 now and much larger in 10 yrs at 8k could work.

Thanks for the alternative
post #12515 of 15194 Old 04-27-2018, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Any help picking something would be appreciated

1. Budget - ~1500, but willing to stretch to $1800 or so for a tremendous deal

2. Seating distance - 9ft

3. Size/placement limitations - Limited to 65" mounting above a fireplace. Regular seating at a 30 degree angle to screen.

4. Uses and sources - TV/Movie/Gaming/HDR Gaming. Primary input is an HTPC. Netflix / Hulu / Amazon Prime, as well as an HDHomerun that dumps mp4 onto the NAS that we play through the HTPC. Also would have a PS4Pro hooked up. Not sure how well HDR is handled in Win10 at this point, so something with native apps would be ideal. We do use the HTPC for PC related stuff sometimes, so ideally I'd leave HDR off in Win10 and then just throw to 4k,60Hz,4:2:2 when I need to turn HDR on for video.

5. Room lighting - medium lit room with no direct glare. TV mounted on a west facing wall with windows on the north / south side at least 8' away.

I'm debating between a 900e or a Vizio 65P, but I'm not in love with the viewing angles on the VA panels. OLED is nice, and B7A is probably not too far out of the budget, but burn in on an HTPC would scare me to some extent - I'd adjust the screen saving options very quickly to avoid leaving a static image on the screen.

Currently have a 2013 era 60" Vizio E that's worked surprisingly well - but it's starting to get intermittent lines of pixels through the screen. Probably ready to move from "best budget TV" type thing to something closer to the acutal high end (otherwise I would order a 65" TCL 6 series right now).
post #12516 of 15194 Old 04-27-2018, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1515 Post(s)
Liked: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthropogentric View Post

1. Budget - ~1500, but willing to stretch to $1800 or so for a tremendous deal

2. Seating distance - 9ft

3. Size/placement limitations - Limited to 65" mounting above a fireplace. Regular seating at a 30 degree angle to screen.

4. Uses and sources - TV/Movie/Gaming/HDR Gaming. Primary input is an HTPC. Netflix / Hulu / Amazon Prime, as well as an HDHomerun that dumps mp4 onto the NAS that we play through the HTPC. Also would have a PS4Pro hooked up. Not sure how well HDR is handled in Win10 at this point, so something with native apps would be ideal. We do use the HTPC for PC related stuff sometimes, so ideally I'd leave HDR off in Win10 and then just throw to 4k,60Hz,4:2:2 when I need to turn HDR on for video.

5. Room lighting - medium lit room with no direct glare. TV mounted on a west facing wall with windows on the north / south side at least 8' away.

I'm debating between a 900e or a Vizio 65P, but I'm not in love with the viewing angles on the VA panels. OLED is nice, and B7A is probably not too far out of the budget, but burn in on an HTPC would scare me to some extent - I'd adjust the screen saving options very quickly to avoid leaving a static image on the screen.

Currently have a 2013 era 60" Vizio E that's worked surprisingly well - but it's starting to get intermittent lines of pixels through the screen. Probably ready to move from "best budget TV" type thing to something closer to the acutal high end (otherwise I would order a 65" TCL 6 series right now).
The 900E has a wider viewing angle than the Vizio P based on Rtings testing, but if you need really need viewing angles get the LG B7A OLED.
post #12517 of 15194 Old 04-27-2018, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm brand new here, first post .

I'm having a heck of a time trying to decide on a TV for our bedroom, so figured I'd ask. We have a 55" KS8500 that serves our main living space entertainment center.

1. Budget - Preferably 400ish, can maybe go to 500 for something much more amazing.

2 & 3. Seating distance - We'll be watching solely from bed. It's about 9 feet away from the head of the bed, on our quite a bit taller dresser. Can be no bigger than 43" preferably. We could technically fit a 49", but it'd use our entire dresser top (and the wifey wouldn't be thrilled).

4. Uses and sources - 90% Movies, 4k and regular blu-ray, streaming via Vudu, Apple TV 4k, etc... Need 2 HDMI with HDCP (in case we hook up a console in addition to the ATV).

5. Room lighting - Pretty dark all the time. We've got room darkening shades on both windows in there.

Anyway, so I'm looking at purchasing either at Best Buy or Amazon, but prefer the first. Am sort of looking at the Sharp 4k with HDR for 299 this week at BB, or the new TCL 43" 5 Series, or maybe the new LG, or new Vizio. I'm mainly looking at the new versions of all these brands because they all have HDR, and even if it kinda sucks, I'd still prefer to have it rather than not.
post #12518 of 15194 Old 04-27-2018, 10:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
A long time since my last post here (old crt projector days). Anyway, the wife and I are looking for a new TV for the living room after a renovation. The standard questions below:

1. Budget: not fixed. I don't want to spend more than makes sense with a hard cap around 2k Canadian.
2. Seating distance: Usually within 7-8 feet, but not really terribly relevant (see next question) Edit: most seating is within 20 degrees of direct line from TV.
3. Size/placement limitations: Maximum 55". This is going in a recessed mantle over a gas fireplace. Heat shouldn't be an issue, but we can't fit anything bigger than 55" in the space. Wife's directive.
4. Uses and sources: Shaw Cable (currently no 4k channels, generally 1080p and less) and movies are our primary uses. Some streaming on Netflix and other sources, might upgrade netflix to 4k account. DVD/Blu Ray sources as well, possibly 4k blu ray in the future. I'm a very casual gamer (PC/Laptop most of the time) and I might hook the laptop up both for streaming and the occasional game.
5. Room lighting: During the day it's moderately bright but we don't watch a lot of TV then. At night we can control the light.

I've been doing a lot of research. The CNET hdtv finder is useless to me. I don't care about brand, I just want a TV that will look good for the uses I have at a price that makes sense given my needs. TV's I've been looking at have a very wide range: Visio P and M series, Sony x900e, a bunch of Samsungs (6300, Q7 and more), LG B7a and the list goes on.

Since I'm using mostly lower than 4k sources, I assume a decent scaler is important. Contrast ratios are probably reasonably important for watching movies. I am reading that brightness is now becoming an important thing (is this true or marketing BS?). I saw a side by side demo of Samsung 6300 and Q7 that was staged to show you how much better the Q7 was due to it's extra cd/m2 (or nits if you will). I have a bit of an innate distrust of in-store demos, often they are just designed to up-sell you regardless of your needs. I still haven't seen a q7 being fed a cable tv source. Funny how hard it is to find that or an OLED showing anything but 4k demo material.

Anyway, if anyone can help me navigate the information overload of looking for a tv/display to fit my needs, please chime in.

Last edited by MikeReilly; 04-27-2018 at 10:46 PM.
post #12519 of 15194 Old 04-27-2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthropogentric View Post

I'm in a similar boat, but stuck at 55", which kind of rules out the Vizio P series, I think, which according to rtings has an IPS panel that doesn't give as good an image quality. All three of those tvs are on my short list in 55" size. 900e seems just a bit better at everything than the p-series, but for me I'm not sold that it's worth the extra cost over more entry level tvs that might do the job as well given my use cases. I've seen the B7 and C7 demoes, and they look spectacular, but I've never seen a cable quality source fed to them. I've had a plasma tv hooked up to my laptop for years and I still haven't managed to burn an image in on it. With reasonable care, you should be OK. In the end, you'd probably be happy with any of the three you propose, which makes the decision difficult - how much bang for you buck do you really get going from the vizio to the lg oled or the sony? How often would you notice it?

Last edited by MikeReilly; 04-27-2018 at 10:48 PM.
post #12520 of 15194 Old 04-28-2018, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 33
@MikeReilly at your budget, you should be considering the LG B7A. It's really no contest and there are deals to be had now that the 2018's are out. If you are hard set on an LCD, the 900e comes up very often here for good reason and would be good for your needs. Personally would not even consider the Vizio lineup based on the terrible stability issues I've seen on the ones installed at my work.

- Born half deaf in the 60's and cranking it to 11 ever since.
Living Room: Audio: Pioneer Elite VSX-26tx in 2.1 with Behringer B215XL and Dayton SUB-1500, Video: Roku Ultra and PS4 to an XBR65X930E
Home Gym: Denon DRA-395 in 2.0 with Klipsch KLF-10
wishlist - new LR AVR and Rythmik sub
post #12521 of 15194 Old 04-28-2018, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeReilly View Post
I'm in a similar boat, but stuck at 55", which kind of rules out the Vizio P series, I think, which according to rtings has an IPS panel that doesn't give as good an image quality. All three of those tvs are on my short list in 55" size. 900e seems just a bit better at everything than the p-series, but for me I'm not sold that it's worth the extra cost over more entry level tvs that might do the job as well given my use cases. I've seen the B7 and C7 demoes, and they look spectacular, but I've never seen a cable quality source fed to them. I've had a plasma tv hooked up to my laptop for years and I still haven't managed to burn an image in on it. With reasonable care, you should be OK. In the end, you'd probably be happy with any of the three you propose, which makes the decision difficult - how much bang for you buck do you really get going from the vizio to the lg oled or the sony? How often would you notice it?
Good to know about the burn in. I'm thinking realistically with the bump from the 900e to the OLED (all 2017 models) being not that much, it's probably worth the additional cost. Curious if there are more real world opinions rather than the super bright 4k demo stuff you'll see.
post #12522 of 15194 Old 04-28-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blorton View Post
@MikeReilly at your budget, you should be considering the LG B7A. It's really no contest and there are deals to be had now that the 2018's are out. If you are hard set on an LCD, the 900e comes up very often here for good reason and would be good for your needs. Personally would not even consider the Vizio lineup based on the terrible stability issues I've seen on the ones installed at my work.
I know the B7 is better, but I wonder how much better for my purposes (ie: mostly cable signals less than 4k). I can probably get a B7 for 1999 Canadian. I can get the x900e for around 1299 Canadian. I guess I'm looking for a sweet spot in terms of bang for my buck. Financially, I can afford whatever I want, but I got to this financial situation by making good choices.
post #12523 of 15194 Old 04-28-2018, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I know the B7 is better, but I wonder how much better for my purposes (ie: mostly cable signals less than 4k). I can probably get a B7 for 1999 Canadian. I can get the x900e for around 1299 Canadian. I guess I'm looking for a sweet spot in terms of bang for my buck. Financially, I can afford whatever I want, but I got to this financial situation by making good choices.
Either of the Sony 900E or the LG B7A would be good choices. Sony probably upscales your content better and is brighter for HDR and daytime viewing. The OLED will give you better blacks, viewing angles. Neither of the TVs are bad in any of these four categories. Since your gaming is relatively limited, it will reduce your risk of burn in on the OLED but the risk is still worth considering.

Honorable mentions to the 2018 Vizio P and the 2018 TCL 6. The IPS panel you referred to for the Vizio is only on the 2017 model. The 2018 Vizio has great specs but no reviews yet. The TCL is getting excellent early feedback from iMagic, AVS Forum writer.
post #12524 of 15194 Old 04-28-2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Either of the Sony 900E or the LG B7A would be good choices. Sony probably upscales your content better and is brighter for HDR and daytime viewing. The OLED will give you better blacks, viewing angles. Neither of the TVs are bad in any of these four categories. Since your gaming is relatively limited, it will reduce your risk of burn in on the OLED but the risk is still worth considering.

Honorable mentions to the 2018 Vizio P and the 2018 TCL 6. The IPS panel you referred to for the Vizio is only on the 2017 model. The 2018 Vizio has great specs but no reviews yet. The TCL is getting excellent early feedback from iMagic, AVS Forum writer.
Thanks for your comments - they address issues in a way I can sink my teeth in to and are quite helpful. Scaling I think will be a fairly important factor since I won't have much in the way of 4k content. Better blacks really are good for movies as is high contrast. I would look at TCL, but I can't see any availability from Canadian sources. I'm glad you mentioned the 2018 Vizio p-series. I looked that up and indeed the IPS in the 55" appears to be gone. I know they announced on April 10th, I wonder how long until we see them in stores.
post #12525 of 15194 Old 04-29-2018, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for your comments - they address issues in a way I can sink my teeth in to and are quite helpful. Scaling I think will be a fairly important factor since I won't have much in the way of 4k content. Better blacks really are good for movies as is high contrast. I would look at TCL, but I can't see any availability from Canadian sources. I'm glad you mentioned the 2018 Vizio p-series. I looked that up and indeed the IPS in the 55" appears to be gone. I know they announced on April 10th, I wonder how long until we see them in stores.
The 2018 Vizio P has really promising specs however they will not provide an ETA for availability. The TCL 6 was only released 3 days ago and it appears to be on back order already due to overwhelming demand. Currently Best Buy and Amazon are the only vendors selling it, at least for the USA. YMMV for Canada. Any of these 4 TVs would be good choices.
post #12526 of 15194 Old 04-29-2018, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Am going, finally, to stop trying to keep my beloved Samsung 61" DLP alive. It has a power issue and I'm ready for something reliable. A little overwhelmed (health) so help in pointing me to best options would be very appreciated:

1. TV will be in bedroom on a 62" buffet where the current 62" is, angled a bit. Viewing distance 12'. It is by a large slider - viewed both during day with curtains open and at night. Love the Samsung matte screen so anything available that is on the less reflective side would be great. If not, I'll adjust.

2. Budget isn't fixed, can spend what I need in order to get what works, though of course less is always better.

3. Am on cable with inputs being only Tivos (3!) at this point.

4. Superficial, but I would prefer a black bezel.

5. Am thinking 70". Could accommodate a 75" since I do angle the set, but it would take up a lot of real estate. If a 75" has more choices or a best choice, could do. Not sure if it would be better to mount. Pro = getting it out of the way; Con = not able to angle away from any light reflection. Would love thoughts on this too!

Thanks so much.

Last edited by moonscape; 04-29-2018 at 03:59 PM.
post #12527 of 15194 Old 04-29-2018, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by garykone View Post
Thanks much, @PlanetAVS , @VA_DaveB ! Going with the Sony 900F then; the three extra inches are a bonus too.
So, the Sony 85" 900F is in service! Picture quality is fabulous, particularly with Netflix 4K (I was enjoying Planet Earth II as can be seen in the pic below) and with YouTube TV. The size of this beast and the short throw makes the horrendous compression artifacts from Dish Network show up pretty bad though; maybe, it's indeed time to move forward with the YouTube TV choice and cut that Dish cord.

Only slight annoyance has been with the vignetting - small dark shadow areas in the 4 corners that show up in a very light scene and when viewed in a darkish room - that's apparently common with most large Sonys including the 900F. I'm slightly bothered by it but, enough to return the set? Not at this time but, let's see. Don't have any other choice really at this size; the Samsung Q6 82" has similar issues as per Reddit threads.

Here's the pic:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3389.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	2397232
post #12528 of 15194 Old 04-30-2018, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonscape View Post
Am going, finally, to stop trying to keep my beloved Samsung 61" DLP alive. It has a power issue and I'm ready for something reliable. A little overwhelmed (health) so help in pointing me to best options would be very appreciated:

1. TV will be in bedroom on a 62" buffet where the current 62" is, angled a bit. Viewing distance 12'. It is by a large slider - viewed both during day with curtains open and at night. Love the Samsung matte screen so anything available that is on the less reflective side would be great. If not, I'll adjust.

2. Budget isn't fixed, can spend what I need in order to get what works, though of course less is always better.

3. Am on cable with inputs being only Tivos (3!) at this point.

4. Superficial, but I would prefer a black bezel.

5. Am thinking 70". Could accommodate a 75" since I do angle the set, but it would take up a lot of real estate. If a 75" has more choices or a best choice, could do. Not sure if it would be better to mount. Pro = getting it out of the way; Con = not able to angle away from any light reflection. Would love thoughts on this too!

Thanks so much.
There's definitely more choices at 75", plus with your viewing distance the larger screen would be better. Wallmounting would increase the distance by a foot or two, and eliminate your 62 inch stand restriction. Recommend a full motion mount to give you the flexibility to angle the tv as necessary.

I would look for a closeout deal on a 75 inch Sony 900E which would range between 2-2.5K. It does a great job with reflections (semi gloss finish), excellent brightness for your daytime viewing and it upscales really well for your cable content. Even if you decide not to wallmount, the stand is center based and would easily fit on your existing 62 inch stand (although the TV itself would hang over the edges as it has a 66 inch width)

Last edited by PlanetAVS; 04-30-2018 at 09:33 AM.
post #12529 of 15194 Old 04-30-2018, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
There's definitely more choices at 75", plus with your viewing distance the larger screen would be better. Wallmounting would increase the distance by a foot or two, and eliminate your 62 inch stand restriction. Recommend a full motion mount to give you the flexibility to angle the tv as necessary.

I would look for a closeout deal on a 75 inch Sony 900E which would range between 2-2.5K. It does a great job with reflections (semi gloss finish), excellent brightness for your daytime viewing and it upscales really well for your cable content. Even if you decide not to wallmount, the stand is center based and would easily fit on your existing 62 inch stand (although the TV itself would hang over the edges as it has a 66 inch width)
Thanks. I think I'll get this - Amazon has it. Can you recommend a specific mount? I'd like to get that at the same time along with the service through Amazon for them to mount it.

First time in my long life I've not researched a large purchase like this to death before making a decision but my circumstances make it too overwhelming, so I particularly appreciate your help!

Ah - just saw this mount as one people buy with that set - https://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Art...HRW0RA4KX396Z5

Editing to ask: What about warranty? I typically don't get them but if it would be wise am all ears. Any info on the reliability of this set?

Last edited by moonscape; 04-30-2018 at 12:58 PM.
post #12530 of 15194 Old 04-30-2018, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonscape View Post
Thanks. I think I'll get this - Amazon has it. Can you recommend a specific mount? I'd like to get that at the same time along with the service through Amazon for them to mount it.

First time in my long life I've not researched a large purchase like this to death before making a decision but my circumstances make it too overwhelming, so I particularly appreciate your help!

Ah - just saw this mount as one people buy with that set - https://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Art...HRW0RA4KX396Z5

Editing to ask: What about warranty? I typically don't get them but if it would be wise am all ears. Any info on the reliability of this set?
I'm no expert at wallmounts, the mount you listed looks ok. I know that Sanus mounts have a good reputation as well. I used one with a 112 pound Kuro plasma with no issues.

You can buy a Square trade extended warranty at Costco (even if you don't buy the TV there and even if you are a non member). Also try to use a credit card that provides additional warranty as well. For example, Costco Visa extends warranty by two years.
post #12531 of 15194 Old 05-01-2018, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello everyone

I'm looking to buy a new LG led tv

I have reached to the conclusion to go for either LG 49SJ810V or 49UK6400PLF

lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-49SJ810V
lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-49UK6400PLF

I have a hard time figuring out which TV to go for since no shops around have TV easily available for comparing.
The UK6400 is direct LED and IPS vs edge led on the SJ810. I think direct gives the best picture since from past experiences the edgelit can have light bleeding into the picture and give puddles of lighter areas on dark screens. But then again the SJ810 is 'super UHD'

Can anyone give any recommendations from knowledge or experiences?
post #12532 of 15194 Old 05-01-2018, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Price cut enough to justify buying display model?

Hey, everyone. Thanks in advance for providing me with some insight.

I'm looking to buy a 75" TV with a budget of about $2000. Living room use, with nothing but recessed lighting and limited sunlight. L-shaped couch so the unlucky loveseat guests will have a slightly off-angle viewing.

I have on my radar:
• LG 75SJ8570 ($1849 amazon)
• Sony XBR75X850E ($1998 amazon)
• Samsung UN75MU9000 ($2277 amazon)

Went to BB today to compare 65" and 75" to make sure I was willing to pay the nearly $1000 more to jump up 10" and stumbled upon a 2017 display model Sony XBR75X850E for only $899!

That got the attention of this cheap ass real fast. We're talking an $1100 price drop. Here's the catches: No remote (can buy one on amazon for $36), no stand (going to wall mount anyway) and probably no manual and box. The picture looked great, with no damage at all to the screen or bezel, and it comes with 1-year manufacture warranty and free delivery. (The savings is enough to not even have to think twice about buying an extended warranty.)

So my question is, does the 55% price cut outweigh the risk of buying a display model that could possibly have been running constantly for a year?

Last edited by merkinball; 05-01-2018 at 09:44 PM.
post #12533 of 15194 Old 05-01-2018, 09:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merkinball View Post
Hey, everyone. Thanks in advance for providing me with some insight.

I'm looking to buy a 75" TV with a budget of about $2000. Living room use, with nothing but recessed lighting and limited sunlight. L-shaped couch so the unlucky loveseat guests will have a slightly off-angle viewing.

I have on my radar:
• LG 75SJ85 ($1849 amazon)
• Sony XBR75X850E ($1998 amazon)
• Samsung UN75MU9000 ($2277 amazon)

Went to BB today to compare 65" and 75" to make sure I was willing to pay the nearly $1000 more to jump up 10" and stumbled upon a 2017 display model Sony XBR75X850E for only $899!

That got the attention of this cheap ass real fast. We're talking an $1100 price drop. Here's the catches: No remote (can buy one on amazon for $36), no stand (going to wall mount anyway) and probably no manual and box. The picture looked great, with no damage at all to the screen or bezel, and it comes with 1-year manufacture warranty and free delivery. (The savings is enough to not even have to think twice about buying an extended warranty.)

So my question is, does the 55% price cut outweigh the risk of buying a display model that could possibly have been running constantly for a year?
That's a fantastic deal for a display model, I'd get the extended warranty as you mentioned. Consider a Square Trade warranty instead of the Geek squad warranty.

Keep in mind that on the 75 inch model it is an IPS panel, which means greyer black levels which is not ideal for your lower lit room but it does offer better viewing angles for your guests.
post #12534 of 15194 Old 05-02-2018, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
That's a fantastic deal for a display model, I'd get the extended warranty as you mentioned. Consider a Square Trade warranty instead of the Geek squad warranty.

Keep in mind that on the 75 inch model it is an IPS panel, which means greyer black levels which is not ideal for your lower lit room but it does offer better viewing angles for your guests.
Thanks, PlanetAVS.

I'm going to head back to BB and see if I can't get them to dig up a Sony remote so I can track down how many hours this TV has on it. I also want to get them to play some other content than the 30 second loop that was running to make sure I didn't miss any dead pixels or screen scratches, etc.

I know the downsides to IPS panels, and at this price point I'm OK with that. It will make easier for me to justify spending big cash in 5-6 years on an OLED (or whatever's out there) when my pains in the asses, er ... I mean my lovely teenage kids, get the hell out of my house and I use their bedroom for a home theater.
PlanetAVS likes this.
post #12535 of 15194 Old 05-02-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:

I ended up going with the 900E. The wife wasn't keen on spending more than that and the deal on last year's model was just too good to pass up. I think what really sold me is the fact that the 900E has very good scaling of lower res signals. It might not be 'the best' at any one thing, but it doesn't really have much in the way of weakness. Good scores across the board.

Just as I was about to go to Best Buy to order it (most of the employees there are ex-students of mine) I noticed they had removed the 900E from their web site (Canadian site). Ended up going to Costco, but at least the extended warranty there is reasonable ($100 for 3 years for a total of 5 years). 3-7 working days to ship, here's hoping it's worth it!

Thanks to everyone who provided suggestions and advice in this thread (not just those who replied to me, but all those who posted in the pages I've read)
post #12536 of 15194 Old 05-02-2018, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Ugh. Impatiently awaiting delivery of the new TCL 65R617 from Amazon. And now I notice a near-new Sony 65X900E in my area on craigslist that I could probably get for about the same price (family's moving).

TCL: Dolby Vision, full warranty, return window, Citibank perks/protections, extended warranty if I want it

Sony: better tv overall, better motion handling, brighter, 120hz, but no DV. Also no waiting. If anything goes wrong I'm on my own (unless Sony would warranty it). Probably can't go buy a SquareTrade either.

What to do.
post #12537 of 15194 Old 05-02-2018, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I ended up going with the 900E. The wife wasn't keen on spending more than that and the deal on last year's model was just too good to pass up. I think what really sold me is the fact that the 900E has very good scaling of lower res signals. It might not be 'the best' at any one thing, but it doesn't really have much in the way of weakness. Good scores across the board.

Just as I was about to go to Best Buy to order it (most of the employees there are ex-students of mine) I noticed they had removed the 900E from their web site (Canadian site). Ended up going to Costco, but at least the extended warranty there is reasonable ($100 for 3 years for a total of 5 years). 3-7 working days to ship, here's hoping it's worth it!

Thanks to everyone who provided suggestions and advice in this thread (not just those who replied to me, but all those who posted in the pages I've read)
Good choice. I didn't know Costco sells Sony in Canada? They don't in the USA

EDIT: Costco US sells Sony products but just not the TV line

Last edited by PlanetAVS; 05-02-2018 at 11:08 AM.
post #12538 of 15194 Old 05-02-2018, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Hi All,

Similar to a post above, I am having a real hard time choosing a 43" TV and finding reliable info. I am looking for a bedroom TV. Cost at this size/level isn't really an issue. Single viewing location (bed), no direct sunlight, low light in evening where most viewing will occur. Content will be primarily broadcast TV and sports (Comcast) with occasional Amazon Prime / Netflix (20%).

Lots of mixed reviews out there which are sometime based on larger panels and not on the 43".

Ex: RTINGS.com lists the Samsung MU6300 as the best, but this was based on a larger panel that was VA and 43's seem to be IPS per RTINGs and other sources. Some sites list the Sony X800E as the best quality wise, while others say Samsung MU7000. Still others the TCL 43S405, where as some say the TCL is really a budget TV and doesn't have the image quality as the Sony/Samsung.

Just quite confused giving the mixed "reviews" and not knowing if they are basing the review on the actual 43" TV or the series which may not being using the same panel. Just looking for some direction.

Thx.
post #12539 of 15194 Old 05-02-2018, 11:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnadrifter View Post
Hi All,

Similar to a post above, I am having a real hard time choosing a 43" TV and finding reliable info. I am looking for a bedroom TV. Cost at this size/level isn't really an issue. Single viewing location (bed), no direct sunlight, low light in evening where most viewing will occur. Content will be primarily broadcast TV and sports (Comcast) with occasional Amazon Prime / Netflix (20%).

Lots of mixed reviews out there which are sometime based on larger panels and not on the 43".

Ex: RTINGS.com lists the Samsung MU6300 as the best, but this was based on a larger panel that was VA and 43's seem to be IPS per RTINGs and other sources. Some sites list the Sony X800E as the best quality wise, while others say Samsung MU7000. Still others the TCL 43S405, where as some say the TCL is really a budget TV and doesn't have the image quality as the Sony/Samsung.

Just quite confused giving the mixed "reviews" and not knowing if they are basing the review on the actual 43" TV or the series which may not being using the same panel. Just looking for some direction.

Thx.
You're right that the top recommendations from Rtngs are all IPS panels at the 43 inch size. Assuming that you want to avoid IPS due to your single viewing location, I would go outside the Rtngs reviews and consider the 2018 TCL S517. I haven't seen any reviews yet, but it has DV support, wide color gamut, 120 Hz (CMI) and the built in Roku platform.
post #12540 of 15194 Old 05-03-2018, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
the "help me choose an LCD" thr.

Thanks. The new TCL looks interesting. How do you expect the upconverting will be from Comcast (720p ?) compared to the Sony/Samsung. I had been a little concerned about this on the TCL TVs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Cables Interconnects , Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Sony , Toshiba

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page