the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 420 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 786Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #12571 of 15027 Old 05-10-2018, 08:07 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Argentina
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Which do you prefer?? Sony x690e 60", Sony x720e 55"/65", Samsung mu6300 65" or samsung mu8500 55". Im going to watch from near 10' and for movies/tvshows from the pc or streaming from chromecast. The room is near dark. This tvs has near the same price (on my country)
Trunksleo is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12572 of 15027 Old 05-10-2018, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VA_DaveB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,513
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunksleo View Post
Which do you prefer?? Sony x690e 60", Sony x720e 55"/65", Samsung mu6300 65" or samsung mu8500 55". Im going to watch from near 10' and for movies/tvshows from the pc or streaming from chromecast. The room is near dark. This tvs has near the same price (on my country)
For a dark room, you want a VA panel so eliminate the Sony X720E which has an IPS panel. At 10 feet, 55" is too small so eliminate the MU8500. Between the Sony 690E and Samsung MU6300, the Sony has better motion control and the Samsung is a bit brighter with a higher contrast ratio. Both are 60 Hz with similar input lag, and are direct lit with no local dimming. The Sammy is 5" bigger so pick the one that looks better to you.
Trunksleo likes this.
VA_DaveB is offline  
post #12573 of 15027 Old 05-10-2018, 09:37 AM
Member
 
Rogue74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Miami
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I'm currently in the market for a new 4K HDR LED. I'm coming from a Panasonic TH-PX60U (2006). It is only a 768p set. It has lasted 12 years and it was an incredible TV at the time. It still has a better picture quality than most budget 2018 4k LCDs IMO, but the time has finally come.

I really like the picture quality of OLEDs. They seem to be the natural upgrade path from plasma. However, I am a gamer and do watch a fair amount of cable TV with news and sports thrown into the mix. I fear the burn in issues. My plasma has always had image retention that I notice if I look for it on certain content. Most of the time watching something else made it go away and I trained myself to stop looking. I did take a look yesterday and sure enough I saw the faint outline of a logo on the lower right corner. I just don't want to worry about that anymore. So, LED it is.

I have been doing a lot of research and the whole process can be fun but incredibly frustrating at the same time. I went to Best Buy to take a look at some of the models in person. I know that they are all set to dynamic/vivid mode and running hand picked demo loops. Nevertheless, the Samsung QLEDs immediately stood out. The color and sharpness on those sets is unbelievable. The OLED looked great running a Las Vegas nighttime scene but I've already discounted them. The Q9FN looked the best but is so expensive. Q8 is a bit almost 1K cheaper and the picture quality was very close, but I still find it overpriced. Other than the price, one thing that annoys me about the Samsungs is that they can't passthrough DTS from either the ARC or the optical out. Rtings states that this isn't much of an issue because most source material includes a Dolby Track. I did a quick search in Amazon and found more than a few Blu Rays that only had a DTS English track. The Dolby tracks were foreign language or English with descriptive audio. So one question I had is what happens if I want to connect a soundbar to the TV via HDMI or optical on a Samsung and the Blu Ray I'm watching doesn't have a Dolby track? What exactly will I be hearing?

Moving on to the Sonys, the 900f on display looked duller and more washed out than the other sets. Didn't look bad but having it next to the QLEDs and OLEDs really didn't do this set any favors. After I left, I realized I forgot to ask what input the source feeding the Sony the demo was connected to. From what I gather, on Sony TVs only HDMI 2 and 3 support wide color gamut for HDR. I am curious to see if maybe the picture wasn't as good as it could have been because the TV wasn't set up properly. All reviews I've read say that the 900f produces an excellent HDR picture. But that leads to one of my problems with the Sony: having only 2 HDMI inputs that support the full capabilites of HDR. If I have a UHD player, a PS4 Pro and in the future decide to get an Xbox One X, I'm suddenly short of inputs. This is ridiculous. The other problem is Android TV, which has a rep of being sluggish and not very intuitive. This makes it more likely that I would want to add a Roku or an Apple TV to the setup. I could remedy this with an receiver but I was planning on just a sound bar. I don't have a dedicated home theater room and a full blown 7.1 or Atmos setup would be wasted in my situation. My wife doesn't enjoy loud surround like I do and when I watch alone at night I would wake everyone up. A shame, but it's the situation I have.

So, to make a long story short, I'm having a very hard time deciding. Any suggestions on the 900f vs Q8FN would be appreciated. If the 900f looking bad at Best Buy was just a settings/configuration thing I wouldn't mind saving the $800 since I have to invest in a UHD player, soundbar and upgrade to a PS4 Pro to take advantage of the new TV.

Edit: The TCL 65" R615 for $999 is very appealing considering that the P607 got such good reviews and recommendations considering its price. From what I see from early reactions though, a lot of people are getting panels where the LEDs are visible through the panel under certain conditions. I don't know if this is just a few defective panels or if it is more widespread, but I'm willing to give it a chance if I see considerable positive feedback.

Last edited by Rogue74; 05-10-2018 at 09:41 AM.
Rogue74 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12574 of 15027 Old 05-10-2018, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 648
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 345
.[/QUOTE]Moving on to the Sonys, the 900f on display looked duller and more washed out than the other sets. Didn't look bad but having it next to the QLEDs and OLEDs really didn't do this set any favors. After I left, I realized I forgot to ask what input the source feeding the Sony the demo was connected to. From what I gather, on Sony TVs only HDMI 2 and 3 support wide color gamut for HDR. I am curious to see if maybe the picture wasn't as good as it could have been because the TV wasn't set up properly. All reviews I've read say that the 900f produces an excellent HDR picture. But that leads to one of my problems with the Sony: having only 2 HDMI inputs that support the full capabilites of HDR. If I have a UHD player, a PS4 Pro and in the future decide to get an Xbox One X, I'm suddenly short of inputs. This is ridiculous. The other problem is Android TV, which has a rep of being sluggish and not very intuitive. This makes it more likely that I would want to add a Roku or an Apple TV to the setup. I could remedy this with an receiver but I was planning on just a sound bar. I don't have a dedicated home theater room and a full blown 7.1 or Atmos setup would be wasted in my situation. My wife doesn't enjoy loud surround like I do and when I watch alone at night I would wake everyone up. A shame, but it's the situation I have.
[/QUOTE]
You are selling the Sony short, all 4 HDMI ports support WCG, only Ports 2 & 3 support 4K @ 60 Hz which is only a concern for PCs and very few movies, pretty sure that very few TVs have more than 2 ports supporting [email protected] The easiest remedy is to buy a soundbar that acts as an HDMI switch (HT-NT5 or CT-800) and plug your Xbox and PC into it. The issues with the responsiveness of AndriodTV on the Sonys are IMO overblown and easily remedied by disabling some of the unnecessary services (Samba).

The other TVs you list are nice and might be the right choice but HDMI ports and AndroidTV should NOT be the reason to avoid the Sony.
Cheddarhead is offline  
post #12575 of 15027 Old 05-10-2018, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,272
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2086 Post(s)
Liked: 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue74 View Post
I'm currently in the market for a new 4K HDR LED. I'm coming from a Panasonic TH-PX60U (2006). It is only a 768p set. It has lasted 12 years and it was an incredible TV at the time. It still has a better picture quality than most budget 2018 4k LCDs IMO, but the time has finally come.

I really like the picture quality of OLEDs. They seem to be the natural upgrade path from plasma. However, I am a gamer and do watch a fair amount of cable TV with news and sports thrown into the mix. I fear the burn in issues. My plasma has always had image retention that I notice if I look for it on certain content. Most of the time watching something else made it go away and I trained myself to stop looking. I did take a look yesterday and sure enough I saw the faint outline of a logo on the lower right corner. I just don't want to worry about that anymore. So, LED it is.

I have been doing a lot of research and the whole process can be fun but incredibly frustrating at the same time. I went to Best Buy to take a look at some of the models in person. I know that they are all set to dynamic/vivid mode and running hand picked demo loops. Nevertheless, the Samsung QLEDs immediately stood out. The color and sharpness on those sets is unbelievable. The OLED looked great running a Las Vegas nighttime scene but I've already discounted them. The Q9FN looked the best but is so expensive. Q8 is a bit almost 1K cheaper and the picture quality was very close, but I still find it overpriced. Other than the price, one thing that annoys me about the Samsungs is that they can't passthrough DTS from either the ARC or the optical out. Rtings states that this isn't much of an issue because most source material includes a Dolby Track. I did a quick search in Amazon and found more than a few Blu Rays that only had a DTS English track. The Dolby tracks were foreign language or English with descriptive audio. So one question I had is what happens if I want to connect a soundbar to the TV via HDMI or optical on a Samsung and the Blu Ray I'm watching doesn't have a Dolby track? What exactly will I be hearing?

Moving on to the Sonys, the 900f on display looked duller and more washed out than the other sets. Didn't look bad but having it next to the QLEDs and OLEDs really didn't do this set any favors. After I left, I realized I forgot to ask what input the source feeding the Sony the demo was connected to. From what I gather, on Sony TVs only HDMI 2 and 3 support wide color gamut for HDR. I am curious to see if maybe the picture wasn't as good as it could have been because the TV wasn't set up properly. All reviews I've read say that the 900f produces an excellent HDR picture. But that leads to one of my problems with the Sony: having only 2 HDMI inputs that support the full capabilites of HDR. If I have a UHD player, a PS4 Pro and in the future decide to get an Xbox One X, I'm suddenly short of inputs. This is ridiculous. The other problem is Android TV, which has a rep of being sluggish and not very intuitive. This makes it more likely that I would want to add a Roku or an Apple TV to the setup. I could remedy this with an receiver but I was planning on just a sound bar. I don't have a dedicated home theater room and a full blown 7.1 or Atmos setup would be wasted in my situation. My wife doesn't enjoy loud surround like I do and when I watch alone at night I would wake everyone up. A shame, but it's the situation I have.

So, to make a long story short, I'm having a very hard time deciding. Any suggestions on the 900f vs Q8FN would be appreciated. If the 900f looking bad at Best Buy was just a settings/configuration thing I wouldn't mind saving the $800 since I have to invest in a UHD player, soundbar and upgrade to a PS4 Pro to take advantage of the new TV.

Edit: The TCL 65" R615 for $999 is very appealing considering that the P607 got such good reviews and recommendations considering its price. From what I see from early reactions though, a lot of people are getting panels where the LEDs are visible through the panel under certain conditions. I don't know if this is just a few defective panels or if it is more widespread, but I'm willing to give it a chance if I see considerable positive feedback.
For the Samsung DTS issue, you can plug your bluray player into a soundbar with ARC capability. Or you can pass through PCM audio from the tv and then apply a surround upmix if desired. What soundbar are you planning to use? I would recommend getting one with ARC, HDR pass through and some kind of surround capabilities (whether native or upmix). IMO discs with DTS only and no usable Dolby track would be rare but I haven't researched it.

For the Sony, a workaround would be to use a HDMI switch such as this. Or plug your devices into a soundbar as mentioned above.

Both are excellent, the Sony has the advantage of a lower price and Dolby Vision support. The Samsung has better colors but for $800 more. You might want to also consider the upcoming Vizio P Quantum 65 inch for $2300, it should combine the best features of the Sony and the Samsung

Last edited by PlanetAVS; 05-10-2018 at 11:07 AM.
PlanetAVS is online now  
post #12576 of 15027 Old 05-10-2018, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VA_DaveB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,513
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue74 View Post
I'm currently in the market for a new 4K HDR LED. I'm coming from a Panasonic TH-PX60U (2006).
The TCL is a budget 60 Hz set, not up to the quality or performance Sony 900F or the Samsung Q8FN or Q9FN. And yes, the Samsungs are overpriced and having some firmware issues at the moment. Go look at the Sony 900F somewhere else as it is likely it is not setup correctly at the Best Buy you are going to. The uber bright Samsung Q8FN or Q9FN are going to pop in any super bright big box store. Since you're a plasma user I can't see you enjoying a super bright TV with over saturated colors like you're seeing in the showroom anyway.
VA_DaveB is offline  
post #12577 of 15027 Old 05-10-2018, 06:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Agree with Dave, I'd pick the Vizio P over the TCL although both would be good choices. Furthermore, why not wait a few weeks for the 2018 P? It has almost double the stated brightness at 1000 nits vs the actual peak brightness levels per the Rtngs test of 531 nits. It also adds a tuner and slimmer bezel for this year for only $100-200 more.
I saw the specs for the 2018 P and they seemed worse than 2017? Maybe that's just what I saw as a noob and thought less dimming zones meant worse automatically. Looks like it'll be $1199, so $100 more than the 2017 model and $200 more than the TCL. Any idea when the 2018 Vizio P65 might start shipping? I suppose it'll go on sale in late May which might mean it doesn't ship till June which would likely make it a no-go.
citizens is offline  
post #12578 of 15027 Old 05-10-2018, 06:39 PM
Member
 
montl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
The Samsung 75" MU8000 is a far better TV.
Thanks for the opinion. I think the VA panel is one concern (the MU8000 is VA right?) - we do have some off angle viewing...
montl is offline  
post #12579 of 15027 Old 05-10-2018, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,272
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2086 Post(s)
Liked: 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizens View Post
I saw the specs for the 2018 P and they seemed worse than 2017? Maybe that's just what I saw as a noob and thought less dimming zones meant worse automatically. Looks like it'll be $1199, so $100 more than the 2017 model and $200 more than the TCL. Any idea when the 2018 Vizio P65 might start shipping? I suppose it'll go on sale in late May which might mean it doesn't ship till June which would likely make it a no-go.
The number of dimming zones is just one indicator, and yes there are fewer zones for 2018. They will be available late May through Best Buy but if you can't wait that long that's your call.
PlanetAVS is online now  
post #12580 of 15027 Old 05-10-2018, 07:32 PM
Member
 
Rogue74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Miami
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
You are selling the Sony short, all 4 HDMI ports support WCG, only Ports 2 & 3 support 4K @ 60 Hz which is only a concern for PCs and very few movies, pretty sure that very few TVs have more than 2 ports supporting [email protected] The easiest remedy is to buy a soundbar that acts as an HDMI switch (HT-NT5 or CT-800) and plug your Xbox and PC into it. The issues with the responsiveness of AndriodTV on the Sonys are IMO overblown and easily remedied by disabling some of the unnecessary services (Samba).

The other TVs you list are nice and might be the right choice but HDMI ports and AndroidTV should NOT be the reason to avoid the Sony.
Thank you for the clarification. Maybe the Best Buy unit had crappy settings.
Rogue74 is offline  
post #12581 of 15027 Old 05-10-2018, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VA_DaveB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,513
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by montl View Post
Thanks for the opinion. I think the VA panel is one concern (the MU8000 is VA right?) - we do have some off angle viewing...
The TCL C807 you were also considering is a VA panel too. For a 75" IPS panel, look at the Sony XBR75X850E.
VA_DaveB is offline  
post #12582 of 15027 Old 05-11-2018, 09:33 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
The TCL is a budget 60 Hz set, not up to the quality or performance Sony 900F or the Samsung Q8FN or Q9FN. And yes, the Samsungs are overpriced and having some firmware issues at the moment. Go look at the Sony 900F somewhere else as it is likely it is not setup correctly at the Best Buy you are going to. The uber bright Samsung Q8FN or Q9FN are going to pop in any super bright big box store. Since you're a plasma user I can't see you enjoying a super bright TV with over saturated colors like you're seeing in the showroom anyway.
Actually CNET preferred the TCL 6-series over the 900F and the Q8. So I suppose maybe it depends upon who you ask.

https://www.cnet.com/products/tcl-55...oku-tv/review/
davearm is offline  
post #12583 of 15027 Old 05-11-2018, 11:16 AM
Newbie
 
bl13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff19342 View Post
If you are in the market for a 75" RUN to Costco to see if they still any 2017 VIZIO M75-E1 left in stock! It's EASILY the best bang for the buck on a 75" you'll see until at least Black Friday 2019. I was holding out for OLED, but I just couldn't resist the lovely M75 for just $1500 at Costco!

The reason it's such a remarkable deal on a 75" with Dolby Vision & FALD is TCL won't introduce a new 75" until 2019 & VIZIO's 2018 model line eliminated the 75" version of the M series! (I presume the rave reviews it received siphoned sales away from their P series, costing VIZIO profits in the minds of their bean counters.) So if you're in the market for a superb 75" with Dolby Vision & FALD, you're not likely to see one for $1500 again until at least 2019 when a TCL 75" arrives & goes on sale or the $2500 '18 VIZIO P-series goes on a similar deep discount.

Call all your local Costcos because VIZIO's 2018s models have arrived & the M75-E1 is no longer listed on their website. The one near me in tax-free Delaware didn't have any, but the Concordville, PA warehouse had 3, now 2, including the display model. Good luck!
Just called my Costco and they do have M75-E1s left, but at $1500 is it a better value than 75'' MU 8000 at $1700 (Fry's promo)?
bl13 is offline  
post #12584 of 15027 Old 05-11-2018, 11:31 AM
Newbie
 
dadoph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all!,


Long time lurker, very infrequent poster. Need help deciding between 3 displays. My 5 year old Vizio has an LED problem. I feel like I've gotten my money's worth out of it and don't want to try to fix it.


Space limitations restrict me to looking at 43" models. Budget limitations restrict me to looking at $400 (or less) models. Mostly use the display for 1080 viewing from a Spectrum cable box, Xbox One gaming, occasional Netflix via the built in app, and infrequent Chromecast from my phone or laptop. Viewing is from a distance of about 8 feet.


There are limited choices in that size and budget, but here's what I'm down to:


LG UJ6300 - best price by a little

Vizio E43-F1 (2018 Model) - has 10 local dimming zones - built in Chromecast - built in apps for what I care about
TCL 43S515 or 43S517 - 5 series - built in Roku


Leaning toward the Vizio or TCL, but looking for any opinions or reason why I should choose one over the other. Unfortunately, local access to these models is very limited right now, so I'll probably buy online sight unseen.


Thanks!
dadoph is offline  
post #12585 of 15027 Old 05-11-2018, 11:51 AM
Member
 
montl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
The TCL C807 you were also considering is a VA panel too. For a 75" IPS panel, look at the Sony XBR75X850E.
Perfect, thanks! I have been looking at that model for a while - being that it is IPS I think it would make it a better fit for our room...now the task is to find it at a decent price!
montl is offline  
post #12586 of 15027 Old 05-11-2018, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VA_DaveB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,513
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by montl View Post
Perfect, thanks! I have been looking at that model for a while - being that it is IPS I think it would make it a better fit for our room...now the task is to find it at a decent price!
Well it's been replaced for 2018 by the 850F so now's the time before they're all gone. BTW, the 75" 850F is also IPS.
VA_DaveB is offline  
post #12587 of 15027 Old 05-11-2018, 12:58 PM
Member
 
montl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
Well it's been replaced for 2018 by the 850F so now's the time before they're all gone. BTW, the 75" 850F is also IPS.
Local store has one still on the floor - but "none in stock" - so I suppose I could get lucky if I happen to convince them to sell me the display model. Highly doubtful though...maybe I need to camp out there
montl is offline  
post #12588 of 15027 Old 05-11-2018, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VA_DaveB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,513
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by montl View Post
Local store has one still on the floor - but "none in stock" - so I suppose I could get lucky if I happen to convince them to sell me the display model. Highly doubtful though...maybe I need to camp out there
Amazon, Best Buy and B&H are still selling them for $2,000. So offer the store $1,250 for it. What good is a display model to them with none in stock?
VA_DaveB is offline  
post #12589 of 15027 Old 05-11-2018, 02:00 PM
Member
 
hollywoodfrodo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
TV for Bright Large Area (Outside)

In the next couple of months our pool will be finished and there will be a Gazebo over the deck at one end. I'm looking to put a TV out there - don't want to spend too much because, well it's a TV...outside. So probably $550-650 range. Obviously brightness is somewhat important though with it being under the gazebo and also being fairly confined and near walls on most sides other than the once facing the pool, I don't think it's get much brighter than an average room with windows, maybe less actually. Of course reflection will be an issue... Other than overal quality, viewing angles are probably the biggest concern. Obviously OLED is out of the question for the budget. Would like to get 55" or larger.

So in a nutshell:
Budget: $550-650
Size: 55" +
Purpose: Under a Gazebo by pool
Concerns: Viewing Angles, Brightness, Reflections

Been looking at the new TCL 6 Series as seems to be best TV for price right now, but have heard they don't have the best viewing angles. Wasn't sure if there's anything in our price range that's any better though...

Denon AVR-x6300H | LG OLED65C9PUA & Sony 55X720E | Polk Audio Signature Series Speakers in 5.2.4 Atmos Setup |
Spectrum Cable/Internet | Tivo Roamio | Chromecast Ultra | Chromecast Audio | Roku |
hollywoodfrodo is offline  
post #12590 of 15027 Old 05-11-2018, 02:49 PM
Member
 
montl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hollywoodfrodo - I have a TV outside under our pergola - I got the cheapest I could get ($200 at the time 3 years ago). I would shoot for an IPS with a good non reflective finish on the panel if you can find one in your price range (by the way I have posted on one of your posts over at TFP - small world)

I cover it during the swim season and put it in our bedroom during the winter - our TV is only 40" so that people can walk under it.

We are looking to upgrade our indoor TV soon and so I will have a bigger TV to try out at the pool to see if it gets in the way or if people knock there heads on it...plus the cheapo TV I have to turn the brightness all the way up to enjoy outdoors, and I think one of my other TV's is a bit brighter...
montl is offline  
post #12591 of 15027 Old 05-11-2018, 02:56 PM
Member
 
hollywoodfrodo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by montl View Post
I have posted on one of your posts over at TFP - small world)
lol - definitely a small online world! Yeah, I've heard continually to look for IPS - is the viewing angle THAT much better on IPS? And/or is it so much better that an overall inferior TV with IPS (not as bright, no local dimming, etc) better than a superior TV without it?

Denon AVR-x6300H | LG OLED65C9PUA & Sony 55X720E | Polk Audio Signature Series Speakers in 5.2.4 Atmos Setup |
Spectrum Cable/Internet | Tivo Roamio | Chromecast Ultra | Chromecast Audio | Roku |

Last edited by hollywoodfrodo; 05-11-2018 at 04:33 PM.
hollywoodfrodo is offline  
post #12592 of 15027 Old 05-11-2018, 03:18 PM
Member
 
montl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hopefully some of the better experts chime in - as I am just learning the ins and outs of the various panels.

I will say that I have a fairly new larger VA panel on my main work computer - but I also use an IPS panel on another machine for some video and image editing. Looking straight on the VA panel is better overall for me. However, the IPS panel does looks great from the side and the image doesn't drop off as much at an angle compared to the VA panel. Sitting at a computer is a lot different than TV viewing for me.

Outdoors - I would look at brightness first, IPS if you want angled viewing, and then the reflections. Having a TV outdoors adds lots of other elements to the equation - sort of the reason I went the cheapo route for ours!
montl is offline  
post #12593 of 15027 Old 05-11-2018, 04:39 PM
Member
 
Shagz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Northeast PA, USA
Posts: 179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Needing help on a 4k TV and receiver. Content will be ps4 pro, movies. Im torn between sony 900e and 900f. i can go cheaper for last years model with receiver, OR splurge a bit and get a future proof system. Speaker setup will be in sig. Previous setup was Panasonic vt-50 - denon 1712.

Open floor plan appartment could be a well lit room or total darkness. picture an old school class room. Thanks for your input.

Vizio PQ-65. Denon 3400h. Ps4pro. Xfinity cable w/dvr. Klipsch RW-12d sub, Definitive Technology BP6 x2. Mythos 7 center. Polk t15 rear speakers.
Shagz is offline  
post #12594 of 15027 Old 05-11-2018, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VA_DaveB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,513
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagz View Post
Needing help on a 4k TV and receiver. Content will be ps4 pro, movies. Im torn between sony 900e and 900f. i can go cheaper for last years model with receiver, OR splurge a bit and get a future proof system. Speaker setup will be in sig. Previous setup was Panasonic vt-50 - denon 1712.

Open floor plan appartment could be a well lit room or total darkness. picture an old school class room. Thanks for your input.
If you plan to keep your new TV for a while, go for the 900F and get DV capability. The 900F comes with the better X1 Extreme processor which helps with upscaling and motion control. As for the receiver, you'll have to pick a price range and identify the features you need.
VA_DaveB is offline  
post #12595 of 15027 Old 05-12-2018, 05:24 PM
Member
 
montl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
Amazon, Best Buy and B&H are still selling them for $2,000. So offer the store $1,250 for it. What good is a display model to them with none in stock?
Some one beat us to this one got busy doing some yard work and went out to the store at about 2PM - someone just got it 20 minutes before us...

I was concerned that might happen, but got too wrapped up in a project.

Oh and the salesman told us it sold for $899 no stand, missing accessories - I am not sure what condition it was in, but I am pretty bummed...
montl is offline  
post #12596 of 15027 Old 05-12-2018, 05:39 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Buffalo, New York
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I know this is the help me choose an LCD thread but one of the tv's is an LCD lol. I’m kinda curious about the Vizio PQ 65" vs let’s say the 2018 LG 65” C8. Obviously the picture is going to be better but I need longevity. I do a lot of gaming especially games that have static images. (GTAV for example) I don’t want to buy a higher end tv and it crap out on me within 5 years or whatever. Also the price of the Vizio is a little too steep for me. I’m curious whether the price will drop for Black Friday? The sweet spot for me would be $1500. ($2000 - $500 for PP)
venom0713 is offline  
post #12597 of 15027 Old 05-12-2018, 07:03 PM
Member
 
Shagz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Northeast PA, USA
Posts: 179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
If you plan to keep your new TV for a while, go for the 900F and get DV capability. The 900F comes with the better X1 Extreme processor which helps with upscaling and motion control. As for the receiver, you'll have to pick a price range and identify the features you need.
Decided to go the cheaper route. 900e 65in. 400.00 for receiver. will have a 5.1 setup. not sure on features. i was fine with my vt50 and denon 1713 in a 3.1 setup. that being said, i do love extras, but what do i really need to push my speakers and have great sound.

Vizio PQ-65. Denon 3400h. Ps4pro. Xfinity cable w/dvr. Klipsch RW-12d sub, Definitive Technology BP6 x2. Mythos 7 center. Polk t15 rear speakers.
Shagz is offline  
post #12598 of 15027 Old 05-13-2018, 01:32 PM
Newbie
 
blissr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Decision time

I've settled on a 65" TV for a 12'x22' enclosed (4-season) porch. I'd almost decided on the LG B7A, but I don't think it's bright enough given that the porch has windows all around.

My next choice was the Sony XBR 900E and I was very close to buying from Best Buy for $1,500. However, I went into another BB store and they had an open-box Sony XBR65930E. It was on display next to the 900E and the 930E was clearly brighter. I also found this
which puts the 900E, 900F and 930E side-by-side in a really good comparison and concludes the 930E is the best choice.

So, I got the open-box 930E for $1,500 b/c the remote and some screws were missing. Given that I was ready to pay $1,500 for the 900E, I felt pretty good about my purchase. That's the good news. I got the TV home, got all 85 lbs. of it up on the wall mount and for 2 days it looked phenomenal. Then, it started to momentarily go black (sound stayed on) about every 30-60 seconds. It happened on all inputs (cable, antenna and wi-fi), so I knew it was the TV.

I called Best Buy and there are almost no more 930Es in their inventory. The guy found a brand-new one in Virginia that he said he can get, but the cost would be $1,750. So here's my question: is there a better $1,750 65" television than the Sony 930E for the room I described above?

My other option is to have Sony come and repair/replace the current TV, but that comes with a lot of other hassles.

Any opinions/insights are greatly appreciated! Thanks, in advance, Richard
blissr is offline  
post #12599 of 15027 Old 05-13-2018, 02:53 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
75 inch TV for basement theatre

I will have my couch at about 8-9 feet from my wall so it looks like 75 inches is a good choice. My budget is ~$5000 for a TV. What would you guys recommend?
laevy is offline  
post #12600 of 15027 Old 05-13-2018, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VA_DaveB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,513
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by laevy View Post
I will have my couch at about 8-9 feet from my wall so it looks like 75 inches is a good choice. My budget is ~$5000 for a TV. What would you guys recommend?
Look at the Samsung QN75Q8FN, if they ever get the firmware to fix it, and the Sony XBR75X900F.
VA_DaveB is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Cables Interconnects , Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Sony , Toshiba

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off