the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 452 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 732Likes

post #13531 of 14757 Old 11-11-2018, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1402 Post(s)
Liked: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrabigjon View Post
Looking to purchase a new primary TV
1. Budget is $1,000
2. Seating distance in the living room ranges from 14’ to 20’ from the wall
3. Size/Placement limitations I think a 65” would work, have marked tape on the wall for about a year and this feels ok. I’m coming from a 20+ year old 32” tube tv as a loaner for far to long after the 4:3 50” CRT RPTV went out. Seeing menus and scores is kind of hard. Really anything might be an upgrade.
4. Uses and Sources Regular TV viewing sports, movies, sitcoms and kids shows through an HR-24 also have a Wii and a DVD player. Motion blur during football games is a concern. Not into streaming due to slow internet access. Built in OTA tuner for when weather knocks the sat out. The TV does all the AV switching but usually on sat most of the time. Can get a soundbar if the audio is that bad.
5. Room Lighting The living room gets a fair amount of natural light from a large picture window on a south wall, TV will be on a west wall. Can close the curtains and it helps some they are not blackout though. TV will be placed at eye level when seated. Might go with a stand instead of wall mount to get closer to our eyes and hide the components. Primary horizontal viewing angles are 30 degrees and less. Secondary viewing angles with an open floor plan kitchen and dining room it could go as wide as 60 degrees.

Been searching off and on for the last year or two. I would like something to last a few years but always afraid of getting junk. Always end up frustrated and confused and put it off. I keep circling back to Vizio and TCL mainly because they are in my budget. There recent quality control issues have me concerned though. Perhaps with the holidays there will be more options in my budget. Want to get something by the end of the year. Who knew finding a new TV was so difficult.
The 60 degree viewing angle area is hopeless with any LCD so no need to worry about that. Only and old plasma would do the trick, even OLED would have color shift issues. For $1,000 I'd suggest you look at the 65" Samsung NU8000 which is a fairly bright VA panel TV with local dimming. Edge lit, so the dimming isn't the best but still a good all around TV. An IPS panel TV would provide equalized viewing up to a bit past the 30 degree off angle zone but everyone would have to deal with grayish blacks and most IPS panel sets are fairly dim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13532 of 14757 Old 11-11-2018, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
Best Buy is selling the UN75NU8000 for $1,599 starting today.
Following up on the NU8000, just went and looked at those with the wife... probably was a $400 mistake as she loves the QLED color of the Q6FN haha. I don't really mind it though and I think the stand look is a big improvement too. Gonna be using a stand for now because we're moving in 6 months and I don't want to mount a 75" for that amount of time. Oh and we both agreed all the Samsung models beat everything else in reflection mitigation. That could be big too as we won't know our lighting situation when we move. The Sony Q900F would be my choice over everything, but not enough to justify another $300-400 up in our case.

So now I'm leaning toward the Q6FN and will probably do Samsung.com as it seems to be $1999 everywhere, they can do white glove delivery for $50, and I can even do their "Samsung upgrade" like I already do with my Note 9. Not sure if I would use that on a TV I plan for keeping much longer than 2 years, but for about the same price it's nice to have the option. Maybe I'll want to step up to true FALD over edge-lit in a couple years.

Thanks for all the help!
post #13533 of 14757 Old 11-11-2018, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm looking to get a new 65" TV to replace my old 42" Panasonic TC-L42E5 with abysmal black levels.

Viewing conditions:
The viewing distance will be roughly 10' and 100° from center.

The television will be upstairs in a room with light to moderate light pollution.

I do quite a lot of movie watching and Netflixing like 90% of people, and will only need one input for my HDMI pass through AVR.

Issues with current set:
My main dislikes on this Panasonic consist of the awful, awful black levels (night scenes are a fuzzy uncontrasting mess of gray and more gray) and the light bleed on the edges, further ruining its black level performance.

I also do some document editing and reading on this set as it's fed by my HTPC which I also use for work. Decent sharpness and contrast are a must.

Budget:
My budget is <$1500

Last edited by clanderson; 11-11-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13534 of 14757 Old 11-11-2018, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Edited to correct my budget

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #13535 of 14757 Old 11-11-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanderson View Post
Edited to correct my budget

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Oh well at $1500 I'd say something like Samsung Q6FN (~$1300) or Vizio P65-F1 (~$1200), possibly if Black Friday deals bring it down any then the Sony X900F (currently ~$1800) would be the real sweet set for you or anyone looking mid-range. Those are the TVs I'm looking at in the 75"/$2000 range, so it's fairly comparable. I'm leaning away from the Visio P because there seems to be more uniformity issues than the others, but you didn't list sports as a major content type and that's typically where bad uniformity shows up most. The P series is supposed to have the great blacks you want (probably better than the Q6FN since that's edge-lit), but I suspect maybe you'll be happy with most of the black levels in this range compared to an older LCD. I know when I looked at these today in the store, black levels became less of a concern just because they're all so much better than 5+ year old non-HDR stuff I'm used to... as well as my 4K IPS PC monitor with its bad blacks.

EDIT: Whoops, also theres a BF deal on a Vizio P Quantum at $1400. That could be perfect for you... not sure about reports of uniformity though. I haven't been looking at that since there is no 75.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/197-l...65-1399-a.html
post #13536 of 14757 Old 11-12-2018, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjunk77 View Post
Ok, looks like I'm buying two TVs this Black Friday. We're also going to get one for the baby's playroom. This one will be much cheaper...

Budget - $600 max,
Seating distance - 8'
Size/placement limitations - 55" set mounted high on wall (tilted down).
Uses and sources - streaming only, as there is no cable in the room
Room lighting - lots of direct sunlight so brightness a plus

So, this will be mounted high enough on the wall to be out of reach of a toddler and will stream content (mostly as background) while we're in the baby's room playing. Keys here are good smart platform (as that is all we'll be using), good brightness, and good value. Thinking one of the TCL Roku TVs maybe or the Samsung NU6900. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Yeah the 55" TCL 6-series at $599 seems like a no-brainer for this use. The only downside I can think of vs the Samsung or most others would be the TCL uniformity lottery, but for bright kids' content this seems much less relevant than most other cases.
post #13537 of 14757 Old 11-12-2018, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Planning on buying a new 65" tv in the coming weeks. I think I have narrowed it down to:
  • VIZIO M-Series (M65-F0) $769 @ Sam's Club
  • TCL 6 Series (65R615) $899 @ Best Buy

I currently watch everything through an Nvidia Shield, so the tv's "smart" capabilities are not really relevant. I watch: live TV via HDHomerun, Netflix, Hulu, Prime, Plex (all 720 and 1080p content for now). I have a PS4 (not pro), but really don't game much...so it's not a priority.

I also have a concern about audio pass through. My setup includes an HK 1700 AVR that currently does all my HDMI switching and 5.1 audio. I know for 4K, I will have to plug into the TV and rely on ARC or Optical out to get sound to the AVR. Will I have an issue with either TV passing through DD, DD+, DTS, other 5.1 audio to the AVR? If so, the vizio is more appealing because I can use the $140 difference to upgrade my AVR.

Rtings shows these pretty close...with the TCL slightly better...but is it $140 better? Chances are I will use this for 2-3 years as a main TV, them move it to secondary when OLEDs are more reasonable.
post #13538 of 14757 Old 11-12-2018, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjunk77 View Post
Ok, looks like I'm buying two TVs this Black Friday. We're also going to get one for the baby's playroom. This one will be much cheaper...

Budget - $600 max,
Seating distance - 8'
Size/placement limitations - 55" set mounted high on wall (tilted down).
Uses and sources - streaming only, as there is no cable in the room
Room lighting - lots of direct sunlight so brightness a plus

So, this will be mounted high enough on the wall to be out of reach of a toddler and will stream content (mostly as background) while we're in the baby's room playing. Keys here are good smart platform (as that is all we'll be using), good brightness, and good value. Thinking one of the TCL Roku TVs maybe or the Samsung NU6900. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaconda View Post
Yeah the 55" TCL 6-series at $599 seems like a no-brainer for this use. The only downside I can think of vs the Samsung or most others would be the TCL uniformity lottery, but for bright kids' content this seems much less relevant than most other cases.
The 55" NU6900 is only $450 at Microcenter and $480 at Walmart and Best Buy. You don't need the TCL's superior HDR for the toddler so save $150 and get the Samsung which, according to Rtings, actually has excellent out-of-the-box color accuracy. That is unusual for Samsung and better than most of the high-end "QLEDs".
CruelInventions likes this.
post #13539 of 14757 Old 11-13-2018, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Need help/advice

Quote:
The 55" NU6900 is only $450 at Microcenter and $480 at Walmart and Best Buy. You don't need the TCL's superior HDR for the toddler so save $150 and get the Samsung which, according to Rtings, actually has excellent out-of-the-box color accuracy. That is unusual for Samsung and better than most of the high-end "QLEDs".

Wll after a couple of years of my wife saying we don'y need a 4k tv. She might be shockingltt opening up to getting one. Our viewing habits are streaming. watching digital movies from external hard drivre and very littl OTA tv and the superbowl.The possible two options are the sony 55" 900f the lg sk8000 65" from Costco. Keep in mind my room is somewhat bright, we sit 6-8 feet awayboth off axis 3 feet in both directions from mod center of tv if i were to guess, btw we have a 50" plasma. Btw she gave me the choice of getting the 55" 1100 sony or the 65" lg sk8000 lg sk 8000. I know the 900f is one beautiful model but it's 55" sigh... decisions.....
post #13540 of 14757 Old 11-13-2018, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by gondey99 View Post
Wll after a couple of years of my wife saying we don'y need a 4k tv. She might be shockingltt opening up to getting one. Our viewing habits are streaming. watching digital movies from external hard drivre and very littl OTA tv and the superbowl.The possible two options are the sony 55" 900f the lg sk8000 65" from Costco. Keep in mind my room is somewhat bright, we sit 6-8 feet awayboth off axis 3 feet in both directions from mod center of tv if i were to guess, btw we have a 50" plasma. Btw she gave me the choice of getting the 55" 1100 sony or the 65" lg sk8000 lg sk 8000. I know the 900f is one beautiful model but it's 55" sigh... decisions.....
If you sit off axis I'd suggest the sk8000 or sk9000 as they are IPS and great of off axis viewing.
post #13541 of 14757 Old 11-13-2018, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gondey99 View Post
The SK8000 is fairly dim by today's standards (not compared to your old plasma though) and has the usual grayish blacks typical of IPS panels. It doesn't meet the WCG standard and the color volume is low. From your "6-8 feet away both off axis 3 feet in both directions from mod center of tv", you will be off angle by 20 to 26 degrees. So the PQ will remain more consistent with the IPS panel, but will be dim with poor black levels and the dimming is poorly implemented so 4K HDR will be mediocre. No IPS panel comes close to your old plasma on viewing angle though. Not even OLEDs can match it.

Any reason you're limited to just a 55" Sony 900F or a 65" LG SK8000?
post #13542 of 14757 Old 11-13-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
The SK8000 is fairly dim by today's standards (not compared to your old plasma though) and has the usual grayish blacks typical of IPS panels. It doesn't meet the WCG standard and the color volume is low. From your "6-8 feet away both off axis 3 feet in both directions from mod center of tv", you will be off angle by 20 to 26 degrees. So the PQ will remain more consistent with the IPS panel, but will be dim with poor black levels and the dimming is poorly implemented so 4K HDR will be mediocre. No IPS panel comes close to your old plasma on viewing angle though. Not even OLEDs can match it.

Any reason you're limited to just a 55" Sony 900F or a 65" LG SK8000?

Well goo question I have to say thanks to the b est buy rep her really go through to her about 4k tv's Even just about an hour ago, my wife and I were in costo and she was noticing all the lgs on sale like the sk 800 the uk 6500. So If she was sort of giving me a choice of the 55" sony potentially or a 65: lg that's a buget of 870-1200. The on advantage thay costco has is the warranty, aquare trade and we have costco credit card that gives extra whatever for 2 years. Thank you.
post #13543 of 14757 Old 11-13-2018, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Looking to purchase a new primary TV for my living room

1. Budget is $2000

2. Seating distance in the living room ranges from 10 to 13 ft mostly straight on

3. I have a 5 year old Sharp 80" Aquos 80LE632U the 1080P is nice and so is Directv.

4. I primarily watch Directv sat, Netflix=Amazon+hulu, have a new FireTv stick 4k and an ATV 4k.

5. The room is not that bright and mainly watch with one light on.

Have seen the NU8000 and like the 75" or 82" flavor, but at this time with he deal on the 75" that may be the ticket. Would like Directv to look nice as well. Have a Hisense 65" in the bedroom and really like everything but the Directv does not look that great. I was entertaining the 900F but with the Samsung about 1/2 of that it seems a no brainer.

I just find myself not watching programs that are HDR or 4k and watch them instead in he bedroom. The Hisense is an ok tv so I expect whatever I choose to be superior to that and the Sharp as well. Thanks to any.
post #13544 of 14757 Old 11-13-2018, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepen View Post
Looking to purchase a new primary TV for my living room

1. Budget is $2000

2. Seating distance in the living room ranges from 10 to 13 ft mostly straight on

3. I have a 5 year old Sharp 80" Aquos 80LE632U the 1080P is nice and so is Directv.

4. I primarily watch Directv sat, Netflix=Amazon+hulu, have a new FireTv stick 4k and an ATV 4k.

5. The room is not that bright and mainly watch with one light on.

Have seen the NU8000 and like the 75" or 82" flavor, but at this time with he deal on the 75" that may be the ticket. Would like Directv to look nice as well. Have a Hisense 65" in the bedroom and really like everything but the Directv does not look that great. I was entertaining the 900F but with the Samsung about 1/2 of that it seems a no brainer.

I just find myself not watching programs that are HDR or 4k and watch them instead in he bedroom. The Hisense is an ok tv so I expect whatever I choose to be superior to that and the Sharp as well. Thanks to any.
Yep, right now the 75" NU8000 for $1,600 is a good option to stay under $2K.
post #13545 of 14757 Old 11-14-2018, 12:34 PM
Kaa

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for a new TV :-)

Budget: around $1500, maybe up to $2K

Seating distance: around 12 feet and closer. I'm looking at 65" screens mostly.

Uses: Movies/shows from local files and Netflix, etc., some gaming as well.

Now, the important part: I expect to basically never watch this screen in a dark room. During the day there's a large window to the side which will have a translucent shade, and during the evenings there will be a fair amount of light around -- think open-concept living room where you don't switch off all the lights until you go to bed. I also expect people to walk around while glancing at the screen.

Given all this I've been looking at IPS screens, specifically LG SK9000. It seems to me that an OLED would be a waste in my situation -- is that so?
post #13546 of 14757 Old 11-14-2018, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaa View Post
Looking for a new TV :-)

Budget: around $1500, maybe up to $2K

Seating distance: around 12 feet and closer. I'm looking at 65" screens mostly.

Uses: Movies/shows from local files and Netflix, etc., some gaming as well.

Now, the important part: I expect to basically never watch this screen in a dark room. During the day there's a large window to the side which will have a translucent shade, and during the evenings there will be a fair amount of light around -- think open-concept living room where you don't switch off all the lights until you go to bed. I also expect people to walk around while glancing at the screen.

Given all this I've been looking at IPS screens, specifically LG SK9000. It seems to me that an OLED would be a waste in my situation -- is that so?
Is there any off-angle viewing or will you be sitting directly in front of the screen? While better than VA panels, most IPS panels lose brightness and have color shift by roughly 30 degrees off angle while their mediocre black levels stay unchanged. With few exceptions, VA panels show color shift and black level degradation at around 20 degrees off angle while brightness remains OK. OLEDs are better with only color shift becoming an issue at over 30 degrees off angle, both brightness and black levels remain unchanged. Plasma is the best, with no degradation at all, but they're out of production since 2013.

But both VA and IPS panels work in a bright room with better VA panels tending to be brighter and, of course, have deeper blacks. So only get an IPS panel if you have off angle viewing over 25 degrees to either side.

Also at 12 feet, and 85" is recommended for 4K viewing, and a 75" from 10 to 11 feet. Generally a 65" is recommended for 4K viewing at 8 to 10 feet.
post #13547 of 14757 Old 11-14-2018, 10:29 PM
Kaa

Quote:
Is there any off-angle viewing or will you be sitting directly in front of the screen? While better than VA panels, most IPS panels lose brightness and have color shift by roughly 30 degrees off angle while their mediocre black levels stay unchanged. With few exceptions, VA panels show color shift and black level degradation at around 20 degrees off angle while brightness remains OK. OLEDs are better with only color shift becoming an issue at over 30 degrees off angle, both brightness and black levels remain unchanged. Plasma is the best, with no degradation at all, but they're out of production since 2013.

But both VA and IPS panels work in a bright room with better VA panels tending to be brighter and, of course, have deeper blacks. So only get an IPS panel if you have off angle viewing over 25 degrees to either side.

Also at 12 feet, and 85" is recommended for 4K viewing, and a 75" from 10 to 11 feet. Generally a 65" is recommended for 4K viewing at 8 to 10 feet.
Well, 65" is the right size for the place where the TV will be, so I don't want anything larger.

With respect to deeper blacks vs better off-angle view, I understand the trade-off. What I'm not sure about is whether I'll be able to see these deeper blacks in a well-lit room, especially given that SK9000 has FALD. Off-angle shifts in color on the other hand are not subtle.
post #13548 of 14757 Old 11-14-2018, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 3
1. Budget: up to 1500, but lower is better cause then I can use the money for other things
2. 10-12 feet or so I think
3. No big issues
4. Mainly movies/shows, either from uhd blurays or streaming from Fire stick 4K / Shield TV etc
5. Living room which can get light during day but most watching will be in evening and it will have blinds to close.

Initially I had settled on the Vizio P65-F1 for around 1200. Then I saw the Costco deal coming up on the Vizio Quantum for 1400 and figured for only 200 extra that was too good to pass up. Now I see that Bestbuy has the regular P65-F1 for 900 so I am leaning back towards getting that one, unless someone can convince me that the Quantum is really worth spending an extra 500 bucks.

I am moving to the States in 2 weeks so I cannot go to a store to compare them side by side, am doing this long distance and just based on what I read on the internet (since that's always true I should have no problems ).

Also why I am leaning away from the PQ now is that people seem to rave about how bright it gets, but I have the feeling my wife and I are not necessarily super fond of that. Especially my wife is the type who will probably get a headache from that.

So my mind is looking fairly made up towards the regular P65 unless someone has a compelling argument why I should get the PQ? Thanks a lot!
post #13549 of 14757 Old 11-14-2018, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Question TCL 65r615 or Vizio P65f1

I have the TCL coming in the morning but the Vizio went on sell for same price. I have a 900 dollar budget. I'm see reviews that HDR is better on Vizio and OS is better on TCL. This is in a small office. My old Vizio heats up the room. I would like to avoid that if I can. Anyone have experience with these sets in a small room about 13x11. Distance set from tv is 8 feet.

After a full day does it heat up the room. Which of these models runs cooler? Is there enough of a difference in picture that warrant going with Vizio? My biggest issue is heat. If I want my furnace on I will turn that in. Granted it does take it running most of the day to get the room toasty but I'm tired of cracking open windows in the middle of winter to cool off my office. If one tv is cooler running then the other, I would sacrifice a bit (not much) of picture quality between the two sets.

I'm in a crunch trying to decide if I need to cancel delivery and jump over to the Vizio. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Synergi; 11-14-2018 at 11:09 PM. Reason: More info added
post #13550 of 14757 Old 11-15-2018, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergi View Post

I'm in a crunch trying to decide if I need to cancel delivery and jump over to the Vizio. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
I just canceled my TCL in favor of the Vizio.
post #13551 of 14757 Old 11-15-2018, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Looking for a good 43" 4K HDR TV (needs to be that size). I'm leaning towards the TCL 5 Series S517. It has good reviews, Dolby Vision, and Wide Color. The only item it doesn't have is local dimming. I have yet to find a 43" set that has all 3. It seems that of the 3, local dimming is the least important.

Is there a set I'm missing?

Thoughts?

TIA!!!
post #13552 of 14757 Old 11-15-2018, 02:19 PM

Liked: 0
Hello, long time lurker; first time poster.

My old Toshiba 65 inch rear projection set has officially died and I am in the market to upgrade. Any advice / suggestions are very much appreciated.

1. Budget around $3000

2. Seating distance 12 to 14 feet. All very close to straight ahead viewing (i.e. very little llateral angle)

3. Size/placement: No less than 75 inch and 85 max. In a mid-sized media room with no windows and controlled lighting.

4. Uses /source: Mostly sports and some TV shows. Zero gaming. I plan to continue my DirecTV service, but add the 4K service. DirecTV informs me I am eligible for a receiver upgrade that I will time with the arrival of the new TV.

5. Room lighting: Dedicated media room with no windows and controlled lighting.

I am open to all suggestions. Currently intrigued by the 75 inch Sony 900F, the 75 inch Samsung Q8. Also wonder if I should just go for a bigger screen like the 82 inch Samsung Q6F

Also I am getting really good quotes from Cleveland Plasma. They are legit, right?
post #13553 of 14757 Old 11-15-2018, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadoo123 View Post
Hello, long time lurker; first time poster.

My old Toshiba 65 inch rear projection set has officially died and I am in the market to upgrade. Any advice / suggestions are very much appreciated.

1. Budget around $3000

2. Seating distance 12 to 14 feet. All very close to straight ahead viewing (i.e. very little llateral angle)

3. Size/placement: No less than 75 inch and 85 max. In a mid-sized media room with no windows and controlled lighting.

4. Uses /source: Mostly sports and some TV shows. Zero gaming. I plan to continue my DirecTV service, but add the 4K service. DirecTV informs me I am eligible for a receiver upgrade that I will time with the arrival of the new TV.

5. Room lighting: Dedicated media room with no windows and controlled lighting.

I am open to all suggestions. Currently intrigued by the 75 inch Sony 900F, the 75 inch Samsung Q8. Also wonder if I should just go for a bigger screen like the 82 inch Samsung Q6F

Also I am getting really good quotes from Cleveland Plasma. They are legit, right?
Yes Cleveland Plasma, AKA Cleveland AV, is legit. Lots of members here purchase from him.

At 12 to 14 feet, IMO, you should go larger than 75". Look at the 82" Samsung NU8000 @ $2,500, the 82" Samsung Q6FN @ $3,000 and the 85" Sony 850F which could drop to around $3,000 in a BF sale. The NU8000 and Q6FN are very similar edge-lit VA panels with local dimming that perform very similarly. The 85" 850F is also a VA panel, unlike the smaller 850F models which are all IPS panels. The 850F has no local dimming which is sometimes preferable to poor edge local dimming. Having seen it close to the 85" 900F, it looks very good. For me, Sony's motion control is superior to Samsung's. The FALD 900F is superior to any of the above for HDR, but in your budget will be the smaller 75" size.
CruelInventions likes this.
post #13554 of 14757 Old 11-15-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by square_one View Post
I just canceled my TCL in favor of the Vizio.
They brought out the TCL this morning, is has one spot of banding I wouldn't notice if I had went looking for it. It's not bad compared to what I've seen others ending up with. So I was debating playing the exchange game or buying the Vizio but it's back to full price. Best Buy must have done like a one day sale on it so for now I will have to decide if I want to risk getting a panel that's worse or keeping the one I got.

Anyone know If banding get worse over time?
post #13555 of 14757 Old 11-15-2018, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked: 1432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergi View Post
....So I was debating playing the exchange game or buying the Vizio but it's back to full price. Best Buy must have done like a one day sale on it ....

They had a one day sale today for the P series Vizio in the 65" size.

Not sure if there were other models from Vizio also on sale there for one day.

But the P Series one was the hot ticket item. The BB website went back to regular sale price well before the day was out, though I guess in store people were still finding it being listed for the one-day sale price.
post #13556 of 14757 Old 11-15-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post
They had a one day sale today for the P series Vizio in the 65" size.

Not sure if there were other models from Vizio also on sale there for one day.

But the P Series one was the hot ticket item. The BB website went back to regular sale price well before the day was out, though I guess in store people were still finding it being listed for the one-day sale price.
Darn I missed out on that one. I do like the TCL but you might as well grab the best at the price you can afford.
post #13557 of 14757 Old 11-15-2018, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey guys, first post here, ive been looking at a lot of threads in the audio section for some time though.

I'm looking to buy a 4k TV this black friday for my bedroom, and conflicted on what to go for. I'm going to be upgrading from a 32" Sony 1080p TV from 2009. That TV has been great to me and I love Sony products(still keeping my soundbar+sub from the same purchase in 2009), however i know that sony is now definitely out of the budget lol. In terms of value im just not too aware on if no matter the TV i end up getting is going to be a significant upgrade to my current Sony or not SO much. pretty sure i got my 32" w/ a soundbar + subwoofer in 09 for $600 from a Sony black friday deal.

1. Budget: $200-300

2. Seating Distance: 6-7 feet.

3. Size: 43"

4. Uses:
watching tv shows, movies(via streaming services ie netflix, youtube, amazon prime), sports via chromecast, AND im buying a PS4 slim to get back into gaming. I LOVE my chromecast lol, i think im prob gonna end up using that to stream apps rather than the 'smartTV' interfaces on any of the TV options, unless they absolutely blow me away.

5. Room Lighting
The lighting in my room is idk average? lol. during the day with the blinds open it can be bright but in the evenings my lamp isn't that bright, and i only watch movies with the lights off if its horror so not that often. This wasn't really a consideration when it came to buying my current TV so if the differences would be just marginal between my TV options, i don't really mind.

the TV deals ive seen so far that im interested are the:

-Toshiba 43" 4k Fire TV Edition(mayyy be able to get for $130 but thats if im like all the way in the front of the line at Best Buy which is realistically unlikely but im being optimistic lol.) The rest of the TVs are around $300

- Samsung 43" 6900 series(one downside of this is that i know it only has 2 hdmi inputs but if you guys think this is a good one then i could manage tbh)

-TCL 43" 5 series(this one im honestly just unsure of because of the brand especially since ive always rolled with Sony BUT from a technical standpoint ive heard these are great value.)

I would appreciate it if you guys could provide your opinions on the TVs listed here or even suggest other ones in the budget, thank you!
post #13558 of 14757 Old 11-15-2018, 10:58 PM

Please pardon my Ocd for rehashing this question.

My viewing habits are streaming. watching digital movies from external hard drivre and very littl OTA tv and the superbowl.The possible option was/is lg sk8000 65" from Costco. Keep in mind my room is somewhat bright, we sit 6-8 feet awayboth off axis 3 feet in both directions from mod center of tv if i were to guess, btw we have a 50" plasma. I know this tv is good for off angle viewing and has limitations at first i had my heart was in it but seeing some reviews on you tube and rtings now i'm not so sure. Budget is just under 1k for sure or less. Thoughts on recommendations? Should i really care about Hdr or how many nits a tv has? I know there is no perfect tv and evertv has flaws and QC issues. not looking to keep returning tv's as due to health issues i can't drive. Thank you.
post #13559 of 14757 Old 11-16-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Yes Cleveland Plasma, AKA Cleveland AV, is legit. Lots of members here purchase from him.

At 12 to 14 feet, IMO, you should go larger than 75". Look at the 82" Samsung NU8000 @ $2,500, the 82" Samsung Q6FN @ $3,000 and the 85" Sony 850F which could drop to around $3,000 in a BF sale. The NU8000 and Q6FN are very similar edge-lit VA panels with local dimming that perform very similarly. The 85" 850F is also a VA panel, unlike the smaller 850F models which are all IPS panels. The 850F has no local dimming which is sometimes preferable to poor edge local dimming. Having seen it close to the 85" 900F, it looks very good. For me, Sony's motion control is superior to Samsung's. The FALD 900F is superior to any of the above for HDR, but in your budget will be the smaller 75" size.
VA-Dave, second set of questions.

If I rearrange by media room furniture to get to a 10- foot max viewing distance, would you think the 75 inch 900F makes sense?

Also, what are the comparable sets to the 900F from other manufactures I should be considering at a 10 foot viewing distance.
post #13560 of 14757 Old 11-16-2018, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadoo123 View Post
VA-Dave, second set of questions.

If I rearrange by media room furniture to get to a 10- foot max viewing distance, would you think the 75 inch 900F makes sense?

Also, what are the comparable sets to the 900F from other manufactures I should be considering at a 10 foot viewing distance.
Yes at 10 feet a 75" is fine for you to be able to benefit from the 4K resolution.

The most direct comp for the Sony 900F is the Samsung Q8FN, also FALD, similar number of zones, generally more expensive. IMO, there are only two reasons to pick the Q8FN over the 900F: 1) You're a serious gamer and need/want the VRR capability; 2) You have direct sunlight on your screen or some type of hellacious reflections where the superior "QLED" AR coating comes into play. Personally I prefer the more correct and natural Sony colors and find Sony's motion control to be better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Cables Interconnects , Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Sony , Toshiba

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page