the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 453 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 783Likes

post #13561 of 14982 Old 11-16-2018, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi guys

i've been lurking for a few weeks now trying to gleam some information about TV's over here. Basically i've moved to the US from the UK and would like to buy a OLED (although open to other suggestions). I've possibly got a budget up to $3k maybe a touch more if I can sweet talk the wife .

My watching habits are mainly digital movies, netflix etc and I do game using a PS4 (possibly upgrading to a Pro). 65in I think would be the size I'm looking at however the interesting part comes along as the TV would need to be dual voltage (110v-240v). I had been looking at the one of the Sony Master Series (for the life of me I can't remember the model) but back in the UK I'm more of a Panasonic man - but you guys don't seem to have Panasonic TV's over here (any reason for that?).

If any one has any suggestions of TVs that I could take a look at it would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13562 of 14982 Old 11-16-2018, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
samsung QN75Q6F vs. vizio p75-f1

QN75Q6F dropped quite a lot in price at BB.

But, is it a better tv, for the roughly same price as a vizio p75?
post #13563 of 14982 Old 11-16-2018, 06:04 PM

I'm interested in a 75"+ tv to replace an 8 year old 58" plasma that just died. I've narrowed it down to 82" NU8000 (for around $2250) or 75" X900F (for around $2500). I realize that the X900F has overall better picture quality and full array dimming but I'm having a tough time justifying the smaller screen for higher price. I'm looking for best option to watch hockey games. I appreciate help with this decision!! Thanks!!

1. Budget

$2,500

2. Seating distance

13 feet

3. Size/placement limitations

No limitations. Planning on mounting on the wall in average sized living room.

4. Uses and sources

My main use is watching hockey games. Also watch some netflix tv shows and occasional movie. But hockey games are main use.

5. Room lighting

Have two windows with shades and 4 dimmable recessed lights. Can be dark or light when needed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13564 of 14982 Old 11-16-2018, 07:06 PM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gherkin12 View Post
Hi guys

i've been lurking for a few weeks now trying to gleam some information about TV's over here. Basically i've moved to the US from the UK and would like to buy a OLED (although open to other suggestions). I've possibly got a budget up to $3k maybe a touch more if I can sweet talk the wife .

My watching habits are mainly digital movies, netflix etc and I do game using a PS4 (possibly upgrading to a Pro). 65in I think would be the size I'm looking at however the interesting part comes along as the TV would need to be dual voltage (110v-240v). I had been looking at the one of the Sony Master Series (for the life of me I can't remember the model) but back in the UK I'm more of a Panasonic man - but you guys don't seem to have Panasonic TV's over here (any reason for that?).

If any one has any suggestions of TVs that I could take a look at it would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
The Master Series currently only has the AF9 in it, the new flagship model for 2018/19. It is by far the very best TV I have seen. An absolute beauty. Panasonic's OLED was comparable with the last flagship Sony TV, the A1. This new AF9 beast is just something else. Considering the retail prices in my country, I dunno if you can get the 65" for just 3k. You might wanna start sweettalking the wife. Or just take her to the store and show her the TV. She'll agree.
post #13565 of 14982 Old 11-16-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drury23 View Post
I'm interested in a 75"+ tv to replace an 8 year old 58" plasma that just died. I've narrowed it down to 82" NU8000 (for around $2250) or 75" X900F (for around $2500). I realize that the X900F has overall better picture quality and full array dimming but I'm having a tough time justifying the smaller screen for higher price. I'm looking for best option to watch hockey games. I appreciate help with this decision!! Thanks!!

1. Budget

$2,500

2. Seating distance

13 feet

No limitations. Planning on mounting on the wall in average sized living room.

4. Uses and sources

My main use is watching hockey games. Also watch some netflix tv shows and occasional movie. But hockey games are main use.

5. Room lighting

Have two windows with shades and 4 dimmable recessed lights. Can be dark or light when needed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Are a few inches from 13 feet away really all that important? Just get the Sony, it's much, much better. Or, if you'd like, the 85X850F currently goes for around $3500 on amazon.
post #13566 of 14982 Old 11-16-2018, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Sincerely appreciate any recommendations and opinions

Not looking for AMAZING due to budget limitations only an improvement from our current 42"inch $200 LG from Costco

1. Budget - Less than ~ $600 if possible

2. Seating Distance - 10-15 feet, 2-3 feet from center on either side (no centered seating)

3. Size/Placement - Wall hanging, bottom of TV sits about 5'8 off the ground.... BUT only up to 55" fits... possible 58" but its super tight due to wall configuration. TV sits in the middle of a 20ft long room with seating at either side of the TV about 8-12ft away with 2 recliners on center about 18ft away.

4. Uses/Sources -- 40% Cable TV, 30% streaming movies, 30% watching YouTube videos

5. Room Lighting - VERY light daylit room during the day full of windows from the left side perpendicular to the TV (no real glare on TV itself, (which is when 90% of Cable TV watching occurs and 50% of Youtube videos),....night is very dark due to blackout curtains and no lights on when 100% of the movie watching occurs and 50% YouTube videos) -- although if room lights are on at night there's a TON of glare and reflectivity

--- Hoping to also get a budget soundbar to complete the set up.

Thanks and sincerely appreciate any help choosing a new set!
post #13567 of 14982 Old 11-16-2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallofiron View Post
Sincerely appreciate any recommendations and opinions

Not looking for AMAZING due to budget limitations only an improvement from our current 42"inch $200 LG from Costco

1. Budget - Less than ~ $600 if possible

2. Seating Distance - 10-15 feet, 2-3 feet from center on either side (no centered seating)

3. Size/Placement - Wall hanging, bottom of TV sits about 5'8 off the ground.... BUT only up to 55" fits... possible 58" but its super tight due to wall configuration. TV sits in the middle of a 20ft long room with seating at either side of the TV about 8-12ft away with 2 recliners on center about 18ft away.

4. Uses/Sources -- 40% Cable TV, 30% streaming movies, 30% watching YouTube videos

5. Room Lighting - VERY light daylit room during the day full of windows from the left side perpendicular to the TV (no real glare on TV itself, (which is when 90% of Cable TV watching occurs and 50% of Youtube videos),....night is very dark due to blackout curtains and no lights on when 100% of the movie watching occurs and 50% YouTube videos) -- although if room lights are on at night there's a TON of glare and reflectivity

--- Hoping to also get a budget soundbar to complete the set up.

Thanks and sincerely appreciate any help choosing a new set!

The way I see it, the SONY 49WE660 is your best bet. It currently goes for about 500 euros.The picture quality is amazing, compared to what else you can get for that money. You mention that noone is actually seated center to the TV. Well, this TV also has a great viewing angle. It's not an Android, but you can't really expect one for this kind of money. The OS is very limited, but it still has the manditory Youtube and Netflix apps.
As for the soundbar, a good budget version is the LG SJ2. I can't really tell you how much it costs, but if the prices in your region are comparable to the ones in mine, it should be no more 120-130 euros.
Cheers.
wallofiron likes this.
post #13568 of 14982 Old 11-17-2018, 01:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth Brahm View Post
Hey guys, first post here, ive been looking at a lot of threads in the audio section for some time though.

I'm looking to buy a 4k TV this black friday for my bedroom, and conflicted on what to go for. I'm going to be upgrading from a 32" Sony 1080p TV from 2009. That TV has been great to me and I love Sony products(still keeping my soundbar+sub from the same purchase in 2009), however i know that sony is now definitely out of the budget lol. In terms of value im just not too aware on if no matter the TV i end up getting is going to be a significant upgrade to my current Sony or not SO much. pretty sure i got my 32" w/ a soundbar + subwoofer in 09 for $600 from a Sony black friday deal.

1. Budget: $200-300

2. Seating Distance: 6-7 feet.

3. Size: 43"

4. Uses:
watching tv shows, movies(via streaming services ie netflix, youtube, amazon prime), sports via chromecast, AND im buying a PS4 slim to get back into gaming. I LOVE my chromecast lol, i think im prob gonna end up using that to stream apps rather than the 'smartTV' interfaces on any of the TV options, unless they absolutely blow me away.

5. Room Lighting
The lighting in my room is idk average? lol. during the day with the blinds open it can be bright but in the evenings my lamp isn't that bright, and i only watch movies with the lights off if its horror so not that often. This wasn't really a consideration when it came to buying my current TV so if the differences would be just marginal between my TV options, i don't really mind.

the TV deals ive seen so far that im interested are the:

-Toshiba 43" 4k Fire TV Edition(mayyy be able to get for $130 but thats if im like all the way in the front of the line at Best Buy which is realistically unlikely but im being optimistic lol.) The rest of the TVs are around $300

- Samsung 43" 6900 series(one downside of this is that i know it only has 2 hdmi inputs but if you guys think this is a good one then i could manage tbh)

-TCL 43" 5 series(this one im honestly just unsure of because of the brand especially since ive always rolled with Sony BUT from a technical standpoint ive heard these are great value.)

I would appreciate it if you guys could provide your opinions on the TVs listed here or even suggest other ones in the budget, thank you!
bump please lol
post #13569 of 14982 Old 11-17-2018, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

Coming up on 11 years with my Sony KDS-55A3000 and I'm looking to replace it since I don't want to change the bulb anymore, and I want something slightly larger and definitely thinner. It's a great TV, even now for me, but I know things are considerably different than they were in 2007 so I'd greatly appreciate some assistance. I should have started researching earlier and been more on top of things in preparation for BF but I've also been replacing a 16 year old car so my free time was going towards that before. Here's my info:

1. Budget
- Ideally I'm spending between $1,300-2,000. I'm willing to be on the higher end of my budget since I keep my TVs for a long time but I don't want to go much above that unless there's some ridiculous deal on a $3k set for $2.2k per se.
2. Seating distance
- Down in Texas now so I have a larger family room. One couch is straight on at 15' and the other is off to the left between 8-13' at 30-45 degree angle.
- I'd prefer 75" probably but my wife thinks that's too large so I'm looking at 65" primarily. The wall it's on is very large and high which is why I'm fine with something larger but I understand that she doesn't want a "huge" TV. She'd also like to have it wall-mounted since we've never been able to do that with the current RPTV.
4. Uses and sources
- I watch a lot of soccer, basketball and college football. Current A/V sources are a crappy Charter/Spectrum cable box, PS3 (for Netflix/Amazon/Plex and Blu-Ray), and Chromecast. Ultimately I hope to get brought into this century with my cable box (seriously the one I have looks like 1995 called) and will be upgrading the PS3 in the future after a TV is selected.
5. Room lighting
- During the day it's a very bright room because it's West facing (TV is on the North wall). I have blinds that I limit the light if necessary. In the evening we currently use wall sconce lights over on the West wall.

Any suggestions or recommendations on what I should get or could do differently are greatly appreciated.

Current set up (me sitting 15' away)

Last edited by Thrice; 11-17-2018 at 03:02 PM.
post #13570 of 14982 Old 11-17-2018, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have the option to get a 65" Sony X900F for $1400.

I'm looking for something with:
-Good black levels/contrast in a dark room
-Decent in a bright room
-Little motion blur
-Usable as a computer monitor (no image burn in)

Is there a better choice at $1400? I was looking at the Samsung Q8FN/Q9FN but the Q8FN doesn't seem as good and the Q9FN can't be had for less than $1700.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #13571 of 14982 Old 11-18-2018, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by clanderson View Post

-Decent in a bright room
-Little motion blur

Is there a better choice at $1400? I was looking at the Samsung Q8FN/Q9FN but the Q8FN doesn't seem as good and the Q9FN can't be had for less than $1700.

Where are you seeing it at that price? I'm hoping to get one and that is my target price.
CruelInventions likes this.
post #13572 of 14982 Old 11-18-2018, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 823
the "help me choose an LCD" thread

Sony 65-x900F at $1,400 cant be from authorized vendor?? Or is it

Primary set-up 5.1.4; Yamaha A2050, Paired w/Parasound P5 & ATI 522NC 2 channel amp
Revel F206 fronts & Revel M16 rears; Outlaw X12 Sub & 4 RSL C34e in-ceilings

Secondary 5.1: Denon S900W, Polk LSiM703/704C, Polk RC80i in-ceiling rears, RSL Speedwoofer 10s
post #13573 of 14982 Old 11-18-2018, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1234 Post(s)
Liked: 1441
^^.. I'm going to take a wild stab and say he might have some BB points/credits or maybe something like that in combination with one of those now rare 10% off movers coupons.

I too would be all over that Sony model if it could be had for $1400 w/o having to jump through a ton of hoops.

Last edited by CruelInventions; 11-18-2018 at 10:06 AM.
post #13574 of 14982 Old 11-18-2018, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2081 Post(s)
Liked: 1938
Quote:
Originally Posted by clanderson View Post

-Decent in a bright room
-Little motion blur

Consider the Vizio P Quantum as well, if you are not as concerned about low resolution upscaling quality. The black levels rival but don't quite match OLED. Very bright, excellent for motion.
post #13575 of 14982 Old 11-18-2018, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Consider the Vizio P Quantum as well, if you are not as concerned about low resolution upscaling quality. The black levels rival but don't quite match OLED. Very bright, excellent for motion.
Can't find one available at a similar price point. It the Vizio PQ65-F1 was my first choice, but it's out of stock everywhere offering it for less than ~MSRP.

post #13576 of 14982 Old 11-18-2018, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Alrighty, I have tried to do my own research and just keep going around in circles, so time to call in the cavalry here...

Background: I currently have an aging Sharp 70" LE847U 1080p 3D TV. It's served me well, but the time for 4K is here.

Budget
This is really a stopgap on my way to OLED. They've received several thousands of dollars of discounts over the last 6 months, but remain a little more than I'm looking to drop - especially as prices continue to fall and technology improves.

Given that I'm looking for a 70+ inch (which I guess are 75" these days), I'm looking in the $2K range, though wouldn't hesitate $2500-$2800 for something highly rated.

Seating Distance
I'm roughly 12' (11.5', if we're being pedantic) from the couch to the TV.

Size/Placement
As mentioned, I'm looking for something in the 70s, which seem to be most commonly 75 in LCD. The current TV is placed high on the wall because my viewing distance used to be 18"; I get strain and headaches with the current vertical angle, so I'm definitely going to lower this.

I have just revamped my entertainment area to an Ikea BESTA unit; I haven't decided if I will keep the TV on a stand, or wall-mount it a few inches higher than the surface.

My natural viewing angle is only about 5 degrees (the TV is centered on the center of my main couch). I do have another couch to the left, which is about 30-40 degrees from the TV, but slight degradation is not a dealbreaker.

Uses
Nearly 100% Xbox One X; however, only 50-60% of that is gaming, the rest being recorded TV/Movies through Plex or other streaming services, even for higher-quality content.

Lighting
It's bright in the daytime. I might change the curtains to block a little more light, but it's your average general living room ambience.

Other Considerations
Dolby Vision and FALD (or otherwise non-edgelit) are important to me. Unless there are compelling reasons to omit one or the other (I know some of the popular Samsung sets don't have DV), I'd prefer to have both if other qualities are there.

Thank you for any direction you can provide!
post #13577 of 14982 Old 11-18-2018, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1459 Post(s)
Liked: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgon View Post
Alrighty, I have tried to do my own research and just keep going around in circles, so time to call in the cavalry here...

Background: I currently have an aging Sharp 70" LE847U 1080p 3D TV. It's served me well, but the time for 4K is here.

Budget
This is really a stopgap on my way to OLED. They've received several thousands of dollars of discounts over the last 6 months, but remain a little more than I'm looking to drop - especially as prices continue to fall and technology improves.

Given that I'm looking for a 70+ inch (which I guess are 75" these days), I'm looking in the $2K range, though wouldn't hesitate $2500-$2800 for something highly rated.

Seating Distance

Size/Placement
As mentioned, I'm looking for something in the 70s, which seem to be most commonly 75 in LCD. The current TV is placed high on the wall because my viewing distance used to be 18"; I get strain and headaches with the current vertical angle, so I'm definitely going to lower this.

I have just revamped my entertainment area to an Ikea BESTA unit; I haven't decided if I will keep the TV on a stand, or wall-mount it a few inches higher than the surface.

My natural viewing angle is only about 5 degrees (the TV is centered on the center of my main couch). I do have another couch to the left, which is about 30-40 degrees from the TV, but slight degradation is not a dealbreaker.

Uses
Nearly 100% Xbox One X; however, only 50-60% of that is gaming, the rest being recorded TV/Movies through Plex or other streaming services, even for higher-quality content.

Lighting
It's bright in the daytime. I might change the curtains to block a little more light, but it's your average general living room ambience.

Other Considerations
Dolby Vision and FALD (or otherwise non-edgelit) are important to me. Unless there are compelling reasons to omit one or the other (I know some of the popular Samsung sets don't have DV), I'd prefer to have both if other qualities are there.

The FALD Sony XBR75X900F just dropped to $2,798 so that would be the one to get IMO. Otherwise, to stay under $2K, the only FALD choice is the Vizio P75-F1.
Morgon likes this.
post #13578 of 14982 Old 11-18-2018, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1897 Post(s)
Liked: 2197
1. Budget

Ideally less than $800, and really less is better, but not to the point of being awful.

2. Seating distance

About 7-8 feet, someone adjustable (I'm likely happy with a 55 inch, even though I expect others to recommend 65!)

It's going to sit on an Ikea Besta TV stand. I like the height but thanks for your alternative opinions

4. Uses and sources

Cable (Fios), occasional movies, nothing too serious.

5. Room lighting

The room has limited overhead lighting (10 foot ceilings) and a lamp that can be shut down. Two windows flank the TV, they have blinds. It's city light at night but nothing too severe.

There's a saying about "everything in moderation". If only it was applied to well, you know...
post #13579 of 14982 Old 11-18-2018, 06:58 PM

We are moving to a new house and looking for a new primary TV for the living room. It's great that Black Friday pricing is available, but I've reached analysis paralysis, so I'm looking to you all for some differentiating factors.

I think I've narrowed down my search to the Sony 75X900F and the Samsung 75Q7FN, but open to other options in that size/price range.

Budget: Less than $3,000 (Both models are currently $2,800 for BF)

Seating Distance: 14-15 feet. The main seating is an L shaped sectional, all of which is no more than 20 degrees from the TV. The kitchen is ~24 feet straight back from the TV and would love to maintain good viewing from there too.

Size / Placement: Planning on 75", wall mounted. It will be mounted between two windows so there isn't enough room to go bigger...

Uses and Sources: We primarily watch sports (football, basketball, baseball) via Comcast, as well as Netflix, Amazon and movies via ATV4K. No gaming.

Room Lighting: The living room has large, west-facing windows on one entire side. While we haven't moved in yet, I anticipate a decent amount of afternoon sun/glare/reflections. As it's an open plan room, I don't anticipate it ever being truly dark, potentially lessening the need for FALD.

Other Considerations: As part of the setup I'm looking into a 5.1 system with a (new, TBD) receiver so TV audio quality isn't a concern. Also, we currently have a 55X900E in our bedroom that I am quite happy with (making me bias towards another Sony), but the reflection handling of the Samsung along with the One Connect cable and thinner profile for wall mounting are tempting.
post #13580 of 14982 Old 11-18-2018, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Need a decent cheap LCD for a guest room. looking at the samsung NU6900 (50") or the vizio e43-f1 (43"). I assume samsung is a better constructed panel, but at this price i dont know that it matters. Both are 120 refresh, Vizio is FALD vs the Samsung edge-lit...

FWIW, the viewing distance is about 8', straight on. The room only gets partial sun all day, so no major glare. A soundbar might be in the cards, but definitely no AVR. Mostly tv/streaming (roku).

which would you choose (both are just around $300)

Last edited by Redline9k; 11-18-2018 at 08:59 PM.
post #13581 of 14982 Old 11-19-2018, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline9k View Post
Need a decent cheap LCD for a guest room. looking at the samsung NU6900 (50") or the vizio e43-f1 (43"). I assume samsung is a better constructed panel, but at this price i dont know that it matters. Both are 120 refresh, Vizio is FALD vs the Samsung edge-lit...

FWIW, the viewing distance is about 8', straight on. The room only gets partial sun all day, so no major glare. A soundbar might be in the cards, but definitely no AVR. Mostly tv/streaming (roku).

which would you choose (both are just around $300)
Both of those TVs are 60 Hz native refresh, not 120 Hz. The Vizio E has bad FALD and is very small, so just get the NU6900.
post #13582 of 14982 Old 11-19-2018, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
Both of those TVs are 60 Hz native refresh, not 120 Hz. The Vizio E has bad FALD and is very small, so just get the NU6900.
This is my third tv. Had a P series that had a bad display, got a TCL 5 series that had a bad dispaly, and just got the Samsung 6900 to just go with a "bigger" name brand. I had it set up for about 30 minutes and I'm not very happy with it. The viewing angle on it is pretty bad. Sitting on a cough and the TV is eye level, it looks like there is a polarized tint on the screen. It is very dark and can't see anything in dark scenes (put on Haunting of Hill House on netflix). Stand up and look down on the screen, the tint disappears and the colors are perfect. I've adjusted the settings, calibrated it via Rtings, and even switched to the Dynamic (vivid) settings and its still there. Its definitely the TV and not a settings thing. I was going to return it for the Vizio E series. Now I may just say screw it and get another P series since the price dropped on them.
post #13583 of 14982 Old 11-19-2018, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iksnoved25 View Post
This is my third tv. Had a P series that had a bad display, got a TCL 5 series that had a bad dispaly, and just got the Samsung 6900 to just go with a "bigger" name brand. I had it set up for about 30 minutes and I'm not very happy with it. The viewing angle on it is pretty bad. Sitting on a cough and the TV is eye level, it looks like there is a polarized tint on the screen. It is very dark and can't see anything in dark scenes (put on Haunting of Hill House on netflix). Stand up and look down on the screen, the tint disappears and the colors are perfect. I've adjusted the settings, calibrated it via Rtings, and even switched to the Dynamic (vivid) settings and its still there. Its definitely the TV and not a settings thing. I was going to return it for the Vizio E series. Now I may just say screw it and get another P series since the price dropped on them.
According to Rtings, the Vizio E an P both have even worse viewing angles specifically for color shift and brightness. The Vizios and NU6900 are equally bad as far as black levels tanking at 13 degrees off angle. VA panels are for viewing pretty much dead on plus or minus 20 degrees tops. As far as brightness goes, Vizio P is much brighter but the Vizio E is just slightly brighter.

Seems like you got a defective NU6900 especially since you're saying it looks worse dead on than from above. VA panels have bad vertical viewing angles too so it should never look better from above or below. You're certainly having bad luck with three bad TVs in a row, the Vizio, TCL and now a bad Samsung. All LCDs are cheaply made and flimsy. So IMO, most of the bad ones were likely damaged during shipping.

Having seen the NU6900 in stores it looked as good most higher priced mid-range TVs. Rtings even mentioned how accurate the colors are on it and Samsung is not known for accurate colors. It's only $599 in my local BJ's for a 65" which I thought was a pretty good deal. The 50" is just under $330 at Walmart.
post #13584 of 14982 Old 11-19-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
According to Rtings, the Vizio E an P both have even worse viewing angles specifically for color shift and brightness. The Vizios and NU6900 are equally bad as far as black levels tanking at 13 degrees off angle. VA panels are for viewing pretty much dead on plus or minus 20 degrees tops. As far as brightness goes, Vizio P is much brighter but the Vizio E is just slightly brighter.

Seems like you got a defective NU6900 especially since you're saying it looks worse dead on than from above. VA panels have bad vertical viewing angles too so it should never look better from above or below. You're certainly having bad luck with three bad TVs in a row, the Vizio, TCL and now a bad Samsung. All LCDs are cheaply made and flimsy. So IMO, most of the bad ones were likely damaged during shipping.

Having seen the NU6900 in stores it looked as good most higher priced mid-range TVs. Rtings even mentioned how accurate the colors are on it and Samsung is not known for accurate colors. It's only $599 in my local BJ's for a 65" which I thought was a pretty good deal. The 50" is just under $330 at Walmart.
I got the 55in which was $400 from best buy. I called them up last night and they said to speak with the samsung rep they have there to see if its just a setting that needs to be adjusted. I assured him I played around with the settings but would speak with the rep before making another exchange/return. Just not sure what I want to do now... exchange for another samsung...pay the extra for a TCL 6 or Vizio P series, or maybe try another brand like LG... Any suggestions? It would be for a living room, wall mounted, that would get a decent amount of light. That's why I'm thinking pay more for the TCL 6 or P series.

I was surprised to...I was watching Haunting of Hill House just to check out the HDR and dark scenes and contrast and you could hardly make out the picture. Stand up and it was fine, the way it should be. Obviously i'm frustrated.
post #13585 of 14982 Old 11-19-2018, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgon View Post

Budget

Seating Distance

Size/Placement

Uses

Lighting

Other Considerations

Ordinarily I'd agree with the above on the X900F recommendation, but for that much Xbox X gaming could you maybe benefit from FreeSync on the Samsung panels? Might be worth it to you to go for a Q8F at ~$2800 to get FreeSync + FALD, although the tradeoff is no Dolby Vision. Would depend on what games you play though, I don't know too much of the specifics other than serious gamers tend to love VRR capability.

Also given your bright light I would compare the quite different Sony vs Samsung anti-glare coatings in person (see below...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueWit View Post
I think I've narrowed down my search to the Sony 75X900F and the Samsung 75Q7FN, but open to other options in that size/price range.

Budget: Less than $3,000 (Both models are currently $2,800 for BF)

Seating Distance: 14-15 feet. The main seating is an L shaped sectional, all of which is no more than 20 degrees from the TV. The kitchen is ~24 feet straight back from the TV and would love to maintain good viewing from there too.

Size / Placement: Planning on 75", wall mounted. It will be mounted between two windows so there isn't enough room to go bigger...

Uses and Sources: We primarily watch sports (football, basketball, baseball) via Comcast, as well as Netflix, Amazon and movies via ATV4K. No gaming.

Room Lighting: The living room has large, west-facing windows on one entire side. While we haven't moved in yet, I anticipate a decent amount of afternoon sun/glare/reflections. As it's an open plan room, I don't anticipate it ever being truly dark, potentially lessening the need for FALD.

Other Considerations: As part of the setup I'm looking into a 5.1 system with a (new, TBD) receiver so TV audio quality isn't a concern. Also, we currently have a 55X900E in our bedroom that I am quite happy with (making me bias towards another Sony), but the reflection handling of the Samsung along with the One Connect cable and thinner profile for wall mounting are tempting.
I'm looking at these two also, and after seeing them in the store I realized just how much you're paying for the OneConnect thing. FALD of the Sony is better obviously, but the OneConnect stuff would be great if it was high up and/or you had a lot of your components further away. For me the components are gonna be so close that a ~1-foot distance of "super-cool invisa-cable" wasn't worth the ~$400 or whatever over the similar picture quality of a Q6F.

Also for the reflection handling... in the store my wife and I both thought the Q6F/Q7F did a better job in the bright showroom than the X900F did. But then I see the absolute %age reflection data is better on the Sony. So I realized it's more of the *type* of reflection handling they're going for... like "blurring" the reflection with the Samsung vs just trying to "kill" it as much as possible with the X900F. So yeah that probably didn't make a lot of sense, I would just say that's a category you may need to evaluate for your own eyes before saying one is definitely better.
Morgon likes this.
post #13586 of 14982 Old 11-19-2018, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I got the 55in which was $400 from best buy. I called them up last night and they said to speak with the samsung rep they have there to see if its just a setting that needs to be adjusted. I assured him I played around with the settings but would speak with the rep before making another exchange/return. Just not sure what I want to do now... exchange for another samsung...pay the extra for a TCL 6 or Vizio P series, or maybe try another brand like LG... Any suggestions? It would be for a living room, wall mounted, that would get a decent amount of light. That's why I'm thinking pay more for the TCL 6 or P series.

I was surprised to...I was watching Haunting of Hill House just to check out the HDR and dark scenes and contrast and you could hardly make out the picture. Stand up and it was fine, the way it should be. Obviously i'm frustrated.
The NU6900 has no local dimming, so HDR will not be very good regardless. Outside of this forum, most people watch little to no HDR so it isn't an issue for them. If HDR is a priority, then IMO, FALD is a priority although you can get by with edge dimming. LG's and Samsung's edge dimming are certainly better than no local dimming but up there with FALD sets. Virtually all LG LCDs are IPS, most with no local dimming, and some of the low-end ones are still "fake 4K" RGBW panels. And as you've found, TCL and Vizio have lots of QC issues. You might have to lower your expectations at a sub $500 price point. The next Samsung worth considering is the NU8000 which is bright with edge dimming for $750. And, even higher, is the Sony 900F 55" FALD for $1,100.

With that many returns, you might be on the way to the banned from returns list at Best Buy. Good luck with whatever you choose.
CruelInventions likes this.
post #13587 of 14982 Old 11-19-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
The NU6900 has no local dimming, so HDR will not be very good regardless. Outside of this forum, most people watch little to no HDR so it isn't an issue for them. If HDR is a priority, then IMO, FALD is a priority although you can get by with edge dimming. LG's and Samsung's edge dimming are certainly better than no local dimming but up there with FALD sets. Virtually all LG LCDs are IPS, most with no local dimming, and some of the low-end ones are still "fake 4K" RGBW panels. And as you've found, TCL and Vizio have lots of QC issues. You might have to lower your expectations at a sub $500 price point. The next Samsung worth considering is the NU8000 which is bright with edge dimming for $750. And, even higher, is the Sony 900F 55" FALD for $1,100.

With that many returns, you might be on the way to the banned from returns list at Best Buy. Good luck with whatever you choose.
I've never heard of a "return blacklist" before... but it wouldn't surprise me that they have that. If they do, that's ridiculous... its not my fault the TVs they sold are DOA. You should have seen the number of TVs they had as store returns. There were at least 15 when I was there yesterday.

I'm alright paying a little more. I actually liked the TCL a lot. But this black tinting thing just doesn't work for me. It took me about 20 minutes of watching it to finally say, "nope, can't do it". Nobody should have that sort of reaction when buying something brand new.
post #13588 of 14982 Old 11-19-2018, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've never heard of a "return blacklist" before... but it wouldn't surprise me that they have that. If they do, that's ridiculous... its not my fault the TVs they sold are DOA. You should have seen the number of TVs they had as store returns. There were at least 15 when I was there yesterday.

I'm alright paying a little more. I actually liked the TCL a lot. But this black tinting thing just doesn't work for me. It took me about 20 minutes of watching it to finally say, "nope, can't do it". Nobody should have that sort of reaction when buying something brand new.
Several members here have been banned from returns at BB after returning multiple faulty TVs. I guess it's all up to the store manager or department manager.
post #13589 of 14982 Old 11-19-2018, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Smile Need decent 32" for spare bedroom

Hey all,

Gosh I haven't posted here in forever! Glad to see it's still alive and well.

So we have a guest bedroom that has must of our "last generation" equipment. Earlier Roku, OTA digital receiver, first gen Sony DVD player and a decent for the day, 32 inch Sony tube TV.

My wife wants to replace the TV as we've having people over for some visits this holiday season. I don't want to spend more then maybe $300-$400 for a 32" flat TV. I don't care what panel technology it as long as it's not plasma...the room will get too hot as small as it is.

Any suggestions worth mentioning?

Thanks much...

-m
post #13590 of 14982 Old 11-20-2018, 02:47 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post
Hi all,

Coming up on 11 years with my Sony KDS-55A3000 and I'm looking to replace it since I don't want to change the bulb anymore, and I want something slightly larger and definitely thinner. It's a great TV, even now for me, but I know things are considerably different than they were in 2007 so I'd greatly appreciate some assistance. I should have started researching earlier and been more on top of things in preparation for BF but I've also been replacing a 16 year old car so my free time was going towards that before. Here's my info:

[
2. Seating distance
- Down in Texas now so I have a larger family room. One couch is straight on at 15' and the other is off to
- I'd prefer 75" probably but my wife thinks that's too large so I'm looking at 65" primarily. The wall it's on is very large and high which is why I'm fine with something larger but I understand that she doesn't want a "huge" TV. She'd also like to have it wall-mounted since we've never been able to do that with the current RPTV.

Any suggestions or recommendations on what I should get or could do differently are greatly appreciated.

Current set up (me sitting 15' away)
If your sitting 15FT away, 75" is NOT to big. I'm 8 feet away and moved from 50 to a 65 and I while it feels perfect, I could have gone to 70 and still felt right. I took painters tape and measured out how much surface area they would take on my wall and 50'' always felt to small to me even though 8 feet didn't seem that far. Before we took the 50" down I took a picture of them from my seated chair 8 feet away if that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0057.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	2485154  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Cables Interconnects , Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Sony , Toshiba

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page