the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 456 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 781Likes

post #13651 of 14980 Old 12-03-2018, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 19
TV for bright room and some angled viewing

Looking to replace my 7 year old Sony KDL60EX701. Any and all opinions appreciated. Due to often watching with lights on in the room, need good glare and reflecting handling, and also a picture that doesn't degrade too much on angled viewing.

1. Budget - Up to $1500, give or take $100-$200 (Will go higher if it means a major step up in quality. Will go lower if it means getting bang for my buck while spending less than I thought I had to).

2. Seating distance - Large family room. Large sectional sofa is about 13 ft away from TV.

3. Size/placement limitations - Custom wall unit table top will allow for a foot print of about 60" max between the leg positions. SO we are definitely in the 65-75" range. A 75" TV with a wider stand foot print will probably not work.

4. Uses and sources - Just got a Sony STR-DN1080 A/V Receiver. Also have a Directv HR44 Genie, Roku Streaming Stick+, and LG UBK90 Blu-ray player. No gaming at all. Just watching lots of network TV and streaming through our Roku Stick+, and sports, plus Blu-rays.

5. Room lighting - my wife and kids like to watch with the lights on on the room. I go along with it, although I would prefer less ambient light. For movies, we do turn the lights down, but not completely.

Am open to any and all manufacturers. Our Sony KDL60-EX701 has served us well and we had virtually no reliability issues with it at all.

Again, any and all opinions and info greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13652 of 14980 Old 12-03-2018, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1459 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusbuf View Post
Looking to replace my 7 year old Sony KDL60EX701. Any and all opinions appreciated. Due to often watching with lights on in the room, need good glare and reflecting handling, and also a picture that doesn't degrade too much on angled viewing.

1. Budget - Up to $1500, give or take $100-$200 (Will go higher if it means a major step up in quality. Will go lower if it means getting bang for my buck while spending less than I thought I had to).

2. Seating distance - Large family room. Large sectional sofa is about 13 ft away from TV.

3. Size/placement limitations - Custom wall unit table top will allow for a foot print of about 60" max between the leg positions. SO we are definitely in the 65-75" range. A 75" TV with a wider stand foot print will probably not work.

4. Uses and sources - Just got a Sony STR-DN1080 A/V Receiver. Also have a Directv HR44 Genie, Roku Streaming Stick+, and LG UBK90 Blu-ray player. No gaming at all. Just watching lots of network TV and streaming through our Roku Stick+, and sports, plus Blu-rays.

5. Room lighting - my wife and kids like to watch with the lights on on the room. I go along with it, although I would prefer less ambient light. For movies, we do turn the lights down, but not completely.

Am open to any and all manufacturers. Our Sony KDL60-EX701 has served us well and we had virtually no reliability issues with it at all.

Again, any and all opinions and info greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Sounds as if you need/want an IPS panel for a wider viewing angle and at 13 feet you need the biggest TV you can afford. Look at the Sony XBR75X850F. You can mount the feet turned in if it won't fit on your table. It seems that 75" LG IPS sets all have the very wide feet located at each end of the panel. Having lights on mitigates the grayish blacks that are typical of all IPS panel TVs.
post #13653 of 14980 Old 12-03-2018, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Looking for some advice...

I am wanting to upgrade the 55" Samsung in my living room. https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/j6200

We have an open floor plan and the TV faces the kitchen and dining room. Sofa is about 13ft from the TV. I am looking at 65-70". This is for general use with a soundbar. We have a projector set up in the basement for movie nights and video games.

Currently, we using streaming apps for:
Spectrum
Netflix (4k HDR)
Vudu (4k HDR)
Prime (4k HDR)
Hulu
WWE

As you can see from the list, not everything supports 4k or HDR. Therefore, I've been looking at the Vizio E Series (seems to be better than TCL 5 series). I know the P is better and the TCL 6 series is also great, but they are several hundred more. Thoughts? It appears I can get a 65" E series for under $700 if I am patient. I am not sure I could find a P or TCL for close to that even if I wait until Superbowl time.

Am I on the right track? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13654 of 14980 Old 12-04-2018, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRZ1 View Post
Hi all, need advice on ...

I think my question comes down to size vs. FALD. Is the picture on the 65Q8 that much better than the 75Q6 to make up for the size difference? Will I regret going 65 vs. 75? The 75 will fill the entire wall basically. Any other suggestions? Thanks!
Update on my inquiry: I ended up going with the 75Q8FN. I saw the 75NU8000 and 75Q6FN many times in stores and felt that the Q8 offered a much better picture. The glossy screen finish just makes a huge difference IMO. Even better looking than the 75-900F. I will update more when I get the TV.
post #13655 of 14980 Old 12-04-2018, 09:40 AM
IAH

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 89
What about Toshiba?

Is there any love for Toshiba on here?

I just saw this doorbuster for best buy today. Wondering if its worth it...

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba...?skuId=6194911
post #13656 of 14980 Old 12-04-2018, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2081 Post(s)
Liked: 1938
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarpNinja View Post
Looking for some advice...

I am wanting to upgrade the 55" Samsung in my living room. https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/j6200

We have an open floor plan and the TV faces the kitchen and dining room. Sofa is about 13ft from the TV. I am looking at 65-70". This is for general use with a soundbar. We have a projector set up in the basement for movie nights and video games.

Currently, we using streaming apps for:
Spectrum
Netflix (4k HDR)
Vudu (4k HDR)
Prime (4k HDR)
Hulu
WWE

As you can see from the list, not everything supports 4k or HDR. Therefore, I've been looking at the Vizio E Series (seems to be better than TCL 5 series). I know the P is better and the TCL 6 series is also great, but they are several hundred more. Thoughts? It appears I can get a 65" E series for under $700 if I am patient. I am not sure I could find a P or TCL for close to that even if I wait until Superbowl time.

Am I on the right track? Thanks!
At 13 ft you want the largest screen size you can afford. If $700 is your budget, the Vizio E65-F1 is a good choice. The negatives are poor local dimming, poor upscaling and poor HDR brightness. The TCL 5 series would have better upscaling but arguably lower quality control and you might have to exchange it if you get a bad panel. I know both are available for less than $700 at Costco.
post #13657 of 14980 Old 12-04-2018, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2081 Post(s)
Liked: 1938
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAH View Post
Is there any love for Toshiba on here?

I just saw this doorbuster for best buy today. Wondering if its worth it...

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba...?skuId=6194911

Depends on your use cases but Rtngs has the TCL 5 rated higher for gaming, color, Dolby Vision support, ROKU OS. The Fire TV is brighter with better black uniformity and requires Amazon Prime to get the most use of all the features.
post #13658 of 14980 Old 12-04-2018, 10:23 AM
IAH

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Cool. Thanks Planet
post #13659 of 14980 Old 12-04-2018, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Looking for help. I’m looking at getting either the NU8000 or the QN65Q6FN.
post #13660 of 14980 Old 12-04-2018, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 13
@IAH , keep in mind Sharp, RCA, Toshiba are all brands licensed to budget manufacturers now. Not saying they can't be decent tvs. Surprised Panasonic has not licensed their name yet.
--------------------------------

I am in the market for a 65" to 70" tv for living room. I do not game. As a cord cutter, I currently use my tv with Roku or an attached PC. I have new Rokus and older Amazon Fires so smart features not important. While I will use pc for web browsing I will not do heavy work on it, (the pc is also attached to a monitor at a desk in the room behind it)

I almost got the Vizio 70 E series during BF but I backed out because of concerns of brightness. The TV I have been leaning towards is the Samsung 65NU8000 which is the only native 120hz that I am currently aware of in the <$1k range. I would likely buy it Costco with there insane warranty. I realize the price is higher now but with 15% Citi card rebate , and free Square Trade still decent

My hesitation is for my needs , is 120hz native overkill since I do not game, nor am I an avid sports fan , should I consider something else ? The Vizio P65 which I believe is also 120hz native also had great pricing during BF, without the insane Costco warranty although but at the moment I think its priced too high. I can wait a little longer if that is a better route to go. As according to many, FALD is better than edge lit.

While I hear good things about TCL, I am not considering for my living room, I would consider it for another room. And frankly, I do not like playing the lottery when I am buying a tv.
post #13661 of 14980 Old 12-04-2018, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman2101 View Post
Looking for help. I’m looking at getting either the NU8000 or the QN65Q6FN.
Very similar in performance, both edge lit with poor local dimming. Better WCG coverage and color volume in the Q6FN but they looked very close to me. The Q6FN is sort of a "QLED" light and doesn't have the superior anti-reflective coating of the real "QLEDs".
post #13662 of 14980 Old 12-04-2018, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
Very similar in performance, both edge lit with poor local dimming. Better WCG coverage and color volume in the Q6FN but they looked very close to me. The Q6FN is sort of a "QLED" light and doesn't have the superior anti-reflective coating of the real "QLEDs".

So not really worth the extra $300+ then in your opinion ?
post #13663 of 14980 Old 12-04-2018, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman2101 View Post
So not really worth the extra $300+ then in your opinion ?
Not to me, but others will surely disagree.
Aceman2101 likes this.
post #13664 of 14980 Old 12-05-2018, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I picked up a 75" x850F on sale during black friday for 2499CDN and while the colors are nice the backlight bleed is driving me nuts and im deciding to return it to Costco. Here is two shots of my issue

https://imgur.com/a/NNt1dDQ

So now im looking at the p75-f1 and the x900f. The p75 being $500 more and the 900 being 1000 more. I have a shield so smart features arnt important at all, however the only positive about android tv right on the tv is using android tv notifications app so I can get notification while watching other inputs other than the shield. I have 90 days to return my current x850f to costco so I may wait for boxing day to see if these two tvs go on sale at all. The tv size in important to me as im sitting about 12ft away. Really need some help deciding. Is the current extra $1000 really worth it?
post #13665 of 14980 Old 12-05-2018, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggyk View Post
So I picked up a 75" x850F on sale during black friday for 2499CDN and while the colors are nice the backlight bleed is driving me nuts and im deciding to return it to Costco. Here is two shots of my issue

So now im looking at the p75-f1 and the x900f. The p75 being $500 more and the 900 being 1000 more. I have a shield so smart features arnt important at all, however the only positive about android tv right on the tv is using android tv notifications app so I can get notification while watching other inputs other than the shield. I have 90 days to return my current x850f to costco so I may wait for boxing day to see if these two tvs go on sale at all. The tv size in important to me as im sitting about 12ft away. Really need some help deciding. Is the current extra $1000 really worth it?
I'd return that set also...that looks horrible...especially for a tv as costly as the Sony. Tell me again why inky black plasmas went away....

Good luck on your journey for a replacement.
post #13666 of 14980 Old 12-05-2018, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Any reason you went for an IPS panel in the first place? That should only be your choice if you need the wider viewing angle and watch in a bright room. All IPS panels have grayish blacks and are more prone to backlight bleed. I ask because now you're looking at VA panel FALD TVs with narrow viewing angles but deep blacks. And both the P75-F1 and the x900F will have narrow viewing angles not suitable for off angle seating beyond 25 degrees or so. If you need an IPS panel for wider viewing angle performance, look at the LG 75UK6570 which is fairly comparable and goes for $1,400 here in the US. Or, for an even bigger IPS Panel, there's the 86UK7570 for $3K here, which originally was advertised as FALD, but is not. Both are sold at Costco if you must buy from them.

Also, your 850F has no local dimming so is local dimming a priority or not? Local dimming is very helpful for HDR, but not necessary for SDR or regular TV. There are no FALD IPS panel TVs larger than 65" so if FALD is a priority for HDR, you will have to go for a VA panel TV. If so, the Sony 900F has better upscaling and motion control. The upscaling is only a factor if you are using a 720p cable feed as Vizio upscaling is fine with 1080p inputs. Users here also report lots of QC issues with Vizio TVs, but if you don't mind returning it you can play that game until you get a good one. I would not recommend an edge-lit VA panel TV with local dimming if HDR is a priority. But you could look at the 75" Samsung NU8000 for a good all around TV with the edge dimming providing somewhat better HDR than no local dimming at all. There is also an 82" version for $3K.
post #13667 of 14980 Old 12-05-2018, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Any reason you went for an IPS panel in the first place? That should only be your choice if you need the wider viewing angle and watch in a bright room. All IPS panels have grayish blacks and are more prone to backlight bleed. I ask because now you're looking at VA panel FALD TVs with narrow viewing angles but deep blacks. And both the P75-F1 and the x900F will have narrow viewing angles not suitable for off angle seating beyond 25 degrees or so. If you need an IPS panel for wider viewing angle performance, look at the LG 75UK6570 which is fairly comparable and goes for $1,400 here in the US. Or, for an even bigger IPS Panel, there's the 86UK7570 for $3K here, which originally was advertised as FALD, but is not. Both are sold at Costco if you must buy from them.

Also, your 850F has no local dimming so is local dimming a priority or not? Local dimming is very helpful for HDR, but not necessary for SDR or regular TV. There are no FALD IPS panel TVs larger than 65" so if FALD is a priority for HDR, you will have to go for a VA panel TV. If so, the Sony 900F has better upscaling and motion control. The upscaling is only a factor if you are using a 720p cable feed as Vizio upscaling is fine with 1080p inputs. Users here also report lots of QC issues with Vizio TVs, but if you don't mind returning it you can play that game until you get a good one. I would not recommend an edge-lit VA panel TV with local dimming if HDR is a priority. But you could look at the 75" Samsung NU8000 for a good all around TV with the edge dimming providing somewhat better HDR than no local dimming at all. There is also an 82" version for $3K.
Truth be told I wasnt really looking too much at ips vs VA, but for some stupid reason I was under the impression the 850 was a full backlit display. My theater space is pretty narrow and watching at an angle is not really an issue. If anything maybe 20deg max. Iv been waiting a long time to move to a 4k HDR panel. I prefer sticking with Costco as there warrenty and customer support is very good imo.
post #13668 of 14980 Old 12-05-2018, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Truth be told I wasnt really looking too much at ips vs VA, but for some stupid reason I was under the impression the 850 was a full backlit display. My theater space is pretty narrow and watching at an angle is not really an issue. If anything maybe 20deg max. Iv been waiting a long time to move to a 4k HDR panel. I prefer sticking with Costco as there warrenty and customer support is very good imo.
Nothing stupid about it, the 65" and 75" 850F sizes are edge-lit IPS panels while the 85" 850F is a direct-lit VA panel - so it isn't straight forward at all.

So you do want a 75-inch VA panel, and since you used the term "theater" and have waited for a while, you should get an FALD model for the best HDR. So your choices are pretty much as you specified, the Vizio P or the Sony 900F. While I prefer the Sony, it is more expensive.
WinMod21 likes this.
post #13669 of 14980 Old 12-06-2018, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hello all

I have been reading and reading and reading and changed my mind about which TV I was planning to get about 20 times. I have a basement being remodeled and really do not want to put my 57" rear projection set back down there. This is our only TV in the house, so important that I get the right one this time around.

1. Budget was initially $1k, but willing to go as high as $2500

2. Seating distance is about 10 feet. Will not know until I get the room setup, but may be able to cheat it a foot closer.

3. Size/placement limitations do not exist

4. Uses and sources are mainly Netflix and Plex with OTA sports. No Blu-ray player or intention of getting one

5. Room lighting is all LED lighting. There is one window that lets on very little light and none directly.

I was initially thinking of getting the 65" NU8000 but further reading indicated I should go up up at least 70". Almost pulled the trigger on Black Friday for the 70" UK6570 because the in store demo lead me to believe it was better at sports than the NU8000 (my wife commented on the blur being distracting on it).

Then this week I thought I had made up my mind on a 75" 900F (BuyDig deal almost got me). Now I am back to thinking about the 75" NU8000 which is significantly cheaper and comes with a SquareTrade warranty as Costco.

So many decisions! I bought my RPTV 12 years ago with no research and it has treated me well so halfway thinking I am spending too much time on the decision and should just go for the biggest TV I can afford, regardless of the reviews.

The only thing I have ruled out is Vizio due to their upscaling quality as a lot of my current content will rely on it.

Please help!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #13670 of 14980 Old 12-10-2018, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 348
There are so many great TVs this year.

LG C8 OLED
LG B8 OLED
Samsung Q8FN
Vizio P Series Quantum
Sony X900F
Vizio P Series
TCL 6 Series
Samsung Q7FN
Samsung NU8000
TCL 5 Series
Vizio M Series
TCL 4 Series
Vizio E Series

Epson 8350 / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
Samsung 51F8500 / Panasonic P50ST60 / Vizio P502ui-B1E / Sony 50W700B
Sony S790 / Panasonic BDT-220 / Roku 2 XS & Roku 2
Sony NT5 / Samsung F550 / Speakercraft CS3 / Yamaha YAS-105
post #13671 of 14980 Old 12-10-2018, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Sounds as if you need/want an IPS panel for a wider viewing angle and at 13 feet you need the biggest TV you can afford. Look at the Sony XBR75X850F. You can mount the feet turned in if it won't fit on your table. It seems that 75" LG IPS sets all have the very wide feet located at each end of the panel. Having lights on mitigates the grayish blacks that are typical of all IPS panel TVs.
thanks for the advice. The 75" with stand would fit on the spot I need to put it. But regarding turning the legs inward, besides looking a bit weird, does this affect the stability of the TV at all?
post #13672 of 14980 Old 12-10-2018, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusbuf View Post
thanks for the advice. The 75" with stand would fit on the spot I need to put it. But regarding turning the legs inward, besides looking a bit weird, does this affect the stability of the TV at all?
Several reviewers have done this and reported it is stable with the legs turned in.
post #13673 of 14980 Old 12-10-2018, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UponFirstListen View Post
Almost pulled the trigger on Black Friday for the 70" UK6570 because the in store demo lead me to believe it was better at sports than the NU8000 (my wife commented on the blur being distracting on it).
The 75" NU8000 was on sale for $1.6K and was a good value at that price but now it's back up to $2K. The 70" UK6570 (the only size that is a VA panel) is half the price at only $1K. Although the LG has no local dimming, it might be worth a shot since the edge local dimming the Samsung NU8000 has doesn't work very well anyway. I'm not sure that mediocre local dimming that can't be turned off is that big of an asset. The downside is 70" is a bit small at 13 feet. Reviews of the LG UK6570 tend to be of the one of the IPS panel sizes and don't fully apply to the 70" VA panel model.
post #13674 of 14980 Old 12-10-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
The 75" NU8000 was on sale for $1.6K and was a good value at that price but now it's back up to $2K. The 70" UK6570 (the only size that is a VA panel) is half the price at only $1K. Although the LG has no local dimming, it might be worth a shot since the edge local dimming the Samsung NU8000 has doesn't work very well anyway. I'm not sure that mediocre local dimming that can't be turned off is that big of an asset. The downside is 70" is a bit small at 13 feet. Reviews of the LG UK6570 tend to be of the one of the IPS panel sizes and don't fully apply to the 70" VA panel model.
Yeah, the information on the 6570 is difficult to ascertain. I have also been watching the 86" 7570 thread with much interest.

Never thought it would be so hard to buy a TV!

post #13675 of 14980 Old 12-10-2018, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I'm also in the market for a 75" 4k LCD HDTV, and although I would like to get a Samsung QLED q9, I don't watch TV enough to justify the cost.

With that being said, I think (after reviewing the posts here - thank you all by the way) that my best bang for the buck option would be the Samsung NU8000. Question: If I can get the TV for $1,599 (for the 75" - via Greentoe) is that a great price that I need to hop on now, or do you think I might find a better price if I wait until SuperBowl week (I'm not in a huge rush here). I am coming from a 52" Sony Bravia that is like 15 years old, so I am sure the NU8000 is going to be huge step upwards. However, if I can spend $500-$750 more to get a significantly better picture, I may bite the bullet (so to speak) and go up to the next tier (QLED q6/7/8 - or Sony) if necessary.

Thanks in advance for your time and insight, really appreciate your guidance.
post #13676 of 14980 Old 12-10-2018, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pianta View Post
I'm also in the market for a 75" 4k LCD HDTV, and although I would like to get a Samsung QLED q9, I don't watch TV enough to justify the cost.

With that being said, I think (after reviewing the posts here - thank you all by the way) that my best bang for the buck option would be the Samsung NU8000. Question: If I can get the TV for $1,599 (for the 75" - via Greentoe) is that a great price that I need to hop on now, or do you think I might find a better price if I wait until SuperBowl week (I'm not in a huge rush here). I am coming from a 52" Sony Bravia that is like 15 years old, so I am sure the NU8000 is going to be huge step upwards. However, if I can spend $500-$750 more to get a significantly better picture, I may bite the bullet (so to speak) and go up to the next tier (QLED q6/7/8 - or Sony) if necessary.

Thanks in advance for your time and insight, really appreciate your guidance.
The BF price set by Samsung was $1,600 so I would think that would be the lowest it could go for the Super Bowl - but there's no guarantee on that. Going up is up to you. The Q6FN is very similar to the NU8000, and does not have the same "QLED" panel as the Q7FN/Q8FN/Q9FN. It does have better color volume, but the same sketchy edge dimming. If you go up in the "QLED" ecosystem, the Q8FN with the real "QLED" panel and FALD is the one to get but is way over your limit. The 75" FALD Sony 900F is $1,000 less than the Q8FN right now and would be the way to go IMO. Maybe you can get a Greentoe deal in your price range for that one.
WinMod21 likes this.
post #13677 of 14980 Old 12-10-2018, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Thanks VA_DaveB, I really appreciate your prompt input. In comparing the NU8000 (which I can get for $1,599) vs Sony 900F (retail of $2,799), at what price point would you think would make it worthwhile to spend the extra $ on the Sony? Do you happen to recall what the BF pricing was for the 900F?

Much obliged.
post #13678 of 14980 Old 12-10-2018, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pianta View Post
Thanks VA_DaveB, I really appreciate your prompt input. In comparing the NU8000 (which I can get for $1,599) vs Sony 900F (retail of $2,799), at what price point would you think would make it worthwhile to spend the extra $ on the Sony? Do you happen to recall what the BF pricing was for the 900F? Much obliged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UponFirstListen View Post
Hello all ~
Then this week I thought I had made up my mind on a 75" 900F (BuyDig deal almost got me). Now I am back to thinking about the 75" NU8000 which is significantly cheaper and comes with a SquareTrade warranty as Costco.
Hello, and now for a Sony commercial break . . .

While having very little experience with LCD flat panel displays (two Samsungs; then two Sony's), and certainly no expertise —as VA_DaveB does in panel technology and TV consulting— I would always (well, since Nov/Dec 2017) vote for Sony over Samsung. The Sony's are well worth the extra $$, in our opinion. A year + on, every time we turn-on our Sony's... we still marvel at the PQ. Moreover we have always been so glad we spent the extra $$ for the Sony's, so have never looked back.

Last year (around Oct 2017) we started looking at Costco, Sam's & BestBuy for a tv in the $350~$500 range, then quickly realised we could pay $460-$470 thereabouts for a inexpensive entry level 4K, so we bought the Samsung MU6300. Then after bringing it home but before un-boxing it, I found the rtings .com website, plus a few other (less professional, less technical) dedicated review sites (whose names escape me at the moment), and after explaining the 'why for's to my Shining Bride —by far and away and without a doubt the most difficult part of the TV return process— we returned the MU6300 and bought a MU7000. Then before un-boxing the MU7000 —mind you, within about two weeks time I had become hooked on reading about TV spec's 🤓— I started reading more in depth on the MU7000 vs. MU8000, as well as comparisons with other models and manufacturer's.

Consequently, after another several days of convincing my wife why we now had to return the MU7000 . . . we returned the MU7000 and bought the MU8000. Don't worry, this long convoluted story does have an eventual ending. Thus by the time we brought the MU8000 home —but before un-boxing it— I had been reading somewhat extensively about the Sony LCD TV's; as well all the seemingly legitimate users reviews I could find and read. That's what did it for us; that's what finally sold us on Sony.

I don't recall exactly how I worded it to my wife— that we needed to return the MU8000, our 3rd un-opened new TV in two weeks time and pay several hundred $$ more for a Sony— but somehow I must've convinced her because the next thing I knew she looked at me and said something to the effect of, "Well Honey, sounds like we should go back to BestBuy and return our 3rd TV in two weeks and get the Sony," !:O

Moral of the story . . we are so glad we did; so glad we spent the extra money; have never looked back, and we're still in dazzled awe of the brilliant PQ every time we turn our Sony's on.

. . . ~ And now we return you to your regularly scheduled programming ! ~ . . . ~ cue instrumental musical ~ . . .

. . . ~ My apologies to VA_DaveB for the interruption of normal programming ~ . . .
CruelInventions and lucacow like this.
post #13679 of 14980 Old 12-10-2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinMod21 View Post
Hello, and now for a Sony commercial break . . .

While having very little experience with LCD flat panel displays (two Samsungs; then two Sony's), and certainly no expertise —as VA_DaveB does in panel technology and TV consulting— I would always (well, since Nov/Dec 2017) vote for Sony over Samsung. The Sony's are well worth the extra $$, in our opinion. A year + on, every time we turn-on our Sony's... we still marvel at the PQ. Moreover we have always been so glad we spent the extra $$ for the Sony's, so have never looked back.

Last year (around Oct 2017) we started looking at Costco, Sam's & BestBuy for a tv in the $350~$500 range, then quickly realised we could pay $460-$470 thereabouts for a inexpensive entry level 4K, so we bought the Samsung MU6300. Then after bringing it home but before un-boxing it, I found the rtings .com website, plus a few other (less professional, less technical) dedicated review sites (whose names escape me at the moment), and after explaining the 'why for's to my Shining Bride —by far and away and without a doubt the most difficult part of the TV return process— we returned the MU6300 and bought a MU7000. Then before un-boxing the MU7000 —mind you, within about two weeks time I had become hooked on reading about TV spec's — I started reading more in depth on the MU7000 vs. MU8000, as well as comparisons with other models and manufacturer's.

Consequently, after another several days of convincing my wife why we now had to return the MU7000 . . . we returned the MU7000 and bought the MU8000. Don't worry, this long convoluted story does have an eventual ending. Thus by the time we brought the MU8000 home —but before un-boxing it— I had been reading somewhat extensively about the Sony LCD TV's; as well all the seemingly legitimate users reviews I could find and read. That's what did it for us; that's what finally sold us on Sony.

I don't recall exactly how I worded it to my wife— that we needed to return the MU8000, our 3rd un-opened new TV in two weeks time and pay several hundred $$ more for a Sony— but somehow I must've convinced her because the next thing I knew she looked at me and said something to the effect of, "Well Honey, sounds like we should go back to BestBuy and return our 3rd TV in two weeks and get the Sony," !:O

Moral of the story . . we are so glad we did; so glad we spent the extra money; have never looked back, and we're still in dazzled awe of the brilliant PQ every time we turn our Sony's on.

. . . ~ And now we return you to your regularly scheduled programming ! ~ . . . ~ cue instrumental musical ~ . . .

. . . ~ My apologies to VA_DaveB for the interruption of normal programming ~ . . .
You lived the scenario I am trying to avoid! Sony it is!

WinMod21 likes this.
post #13680 of 14980 Old 12-10-2018, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinMod21 View Post
Hey, this is an open forum and everyone's input is desired! It's just too bad you didn't actually open all those Samsungs so you could pass on your hands-on experience.

And just for the record, which Sony did you spend the extra $'s on? I'm thinking the 900F?!?
WinMod21 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Cables Interconnects , Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Sony , Toshiba

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page