the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 465 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 741Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #13921 of 14815 Old 01-31-2019, 12:47 AM
Newbie
 
lithium007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubers View Post
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/nu8000

decent gradients.

if you mean banding via Dirty Screen Effect then that's completely random = panel lottery. All about luck.

This is an edge lit so blooming can be very crappy with letter box content but might not that be noticeable with a bias lighting / medium lit room AND directly in front.

Blooming will be crap, off angle, regardless of which set you pick unless you go with an lcd set that doesn't have local dimming or go OLED.

Not sure if it matters, but Samsung doesn't support DTS.
Thanks for your response. DTS is not a big deal for me. I only care about the PQ. OLED is prohibitively expensive for my usage
PQ-wise rtings mentioned nits for NU8000 are a couple hundred nits lower than the Sony X900F. Does that make a really big difference?
lithium007 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #13922 of 14815 Old 01-31-2019, 04:12 AM
Senior Member
 
tubers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 432
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by lithium007 View Post
Thanks for your response. DTS is not a big deal for me. I only care about the PQ. OLED is prohibitively expensive for my usage
PQ-wise rtings mentioned nits for NU8000 are a couple hundred nits lower than the Sony X900F. Does that make a really big difference?
I also asked something related.

In order for us to see TWICE the actual perceived brightness the nits need to increase FOUR TIMES.

250 nits will only look half as bright vs a 1000 nits TV assuming all other things are equal.

X900F seems to have slightly better anti-reflection so it may boost the perceived clarity/brightness of the set.

You may also want to think about spending less then buy a new tv sooner. Save the X900F difference for an upgrade in 2-3 years time.

Still depends on how you wanna go about it.

Goodluck. Keep asking so less chances of buyers remorse/waste of time.
tubers is offline  
post #13923 of 14815 Old 01-31-2019, 08:47 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Mariette, GA
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Trying to choose between Sony 85x900F and Samsung 82Q8FN.

Can get them for same price.

TV will be in den with windows and lots of daytime viewing.
usage:
OTA Sports,
streaming netflix , movies, directv now sports.

I know Sony known for upscaling and has DV and 3in larger.

Samsung better reflection handling.

what else should I consider ?

What would you pick ?
wilson44 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #13924 of 14815 Old 01-31-2019, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,201
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2038 Post(s)
Liked: 1913
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson44 View Post
Trying to choose between Sony 85x900F and Samsung 82Q8FN.

Can get them for same price.

TV will be in den with windows and lots of daytime viewing.
usage:
OTA Sports,
streaming netflix , movies, directv now sports.

I know Sony known for upscaling and has DV and 3in larger.

Samsung better reflection handling.

what else should I consider ?

What would you pick ?
I'd put more weight on the DV and screen size over the anti reflection. The Samsung has better anti reflection but its not like the Sony is bad at it. Upscaling is probably a wash. The Sony arguably will have better motion as well, there are reports of ghosting on the Samsung 82 inch panels.

Also, the Sony would have more natural colors if that matters to you. Some people prefer the oversaturated torched look that Samsung appeals to.
PlanetAVS is offline  
post #13925 of 14815 Old 01-31-2019, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Hisense 75H8080E

The military exchange has this for $999 delivered w/no tax.

Any feedback on quality. I see it claims Quantum Dot tech.

Would this be worth it for the kids area in the basement?

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
Cheddarhead is offline  
post #13926 of 14815 Old 01-31-2019, 11:14 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Mariette, GA
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
I'd put more weight on the DV and screen size over the anti reflection. The Samsung has better anti reflection but its not like the Sony is bad at it. Upscaling is probably a wash. The Sony arguably will have better motion as well, there are reports of ghosting on the Samsung 82 inch panels.

Also, the Sony would have more natural colors if that matters to you. Some people prefer the oversaturated torched look that Samsung appeals to.
Thanks for the good advice.

I just ordered the Sony 85x900F from the AFFES military exchange.
$3600 + no tax + free shipping + 12 months 0%.
wilson44 is offline  
post #13927 of 14815 Old 01-31-2019, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VA_DaveB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,435
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1414 Post(s)
Liked: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
Hisense 75H8080E

The military exchange has this for $999 delivered w/no tax.

Any feedback on quality. I see it claims Quantum Dot tech.

Would this be worth it for the kids area in the basement?
Hard to say. No real reviews on it and those Chinese state owned manufacturers don't have a good QC record.
VA_DaveB is online now  
post #13928 of 14815 Old 01-31-2019, 11:59 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 19
the more research I do, the less I know what TV to buy. I had my heart set on the Sony 85in x900f, but now I am not sure. It seems I need HDR10, HRD10+, AND dolby vision all supported. I also need a blue ray player and receiver that supports these formats as well.

There is not a single TV on the market that meets this requirement. Panasonic has an OLED that is coming out sometime this year that will do it all, but 65in is the largest.

Without knowing who will win the format war of Dolby vision vs HDR10 (and how successful HDR10+ is), what is the best bet?

If I get the sony (only HDR10) and watch a movie that is encoded with dolby vision, does that mean I dont even get to enjoy ANY HDR effects????
tubers likes this.
Michael Carton is offline  
post #13929 of 14815 Old 01-31-2019, 12:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 464
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Carton View Post
the more research I do, the less I know what TV to buy. I had my heart set on the Sony 85in x900f, but now I am not sure. It seems I need HDR10, HRD10+, AND dolby vision all supported. I also need a blue ray player and receiver that supports these formats as well.

There is not a single TV on the market that meets this requirement. Panasonic has an OLED that is coming out sometime this year that will do it all, but 65in is the largest.

Without knowing who will win the format war of Dolby vision vs HDR10 (and how successful HDR10+ is), what is the best bet?

If I get the sony (only HDR10) and watch a movie that is encoded with dolby vision, does that mean I dont even get to enjoy ANY HDR effects????
You have been misinformed.

The Sony 85X900F definitely has both HDR10 and Dolby Vision.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-85...?skuId=6179708

I am hoping the 85X900F gets a price drop after the G series comes out. I am really looking closely at that one.
tubers likes this.
gocubs418 is offline  
post #13930 of 14815 Old 01-31-2019, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,201
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2038 Post(s)
Liked: 1913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Carton View Post
the more research I do, the less I know what TV to buy. I had my heart set on the Sony 85in x900f, but now I am not sure. It seems I need HDR10, HRD10+, AND dolby vision all supported. I also need a blue ray player and receiver that supports these formats as well.

There is not a single TV on the market that meets this requirement. Panasonic has an OLED that is coming out sometime this year that will do it all, but 65in is the largest.

Without knowing who will win the format war of Dolby vision vs HDR10 (and how successful HDR10+ is), what is the best bet?

If I get the sony (only HDR10) and watch a movie that is encoded with dolby vision, does that mean I dont even get to enjoy ANY HDR effects????
Assume that you meant Samsung, not Sony. You'll still get HDR10 when playing Dolby Vision content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubs418 View Post
You have been misinformed.

The Sony 85X900F definitely has both HDR10 and Dolby Vision.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-85...?skuId=6179708

I am hoping the 85X900F gets a price drop after the G series comes out. I am really looking closely at that one.
He was referring to the lack of HDR10+ on the 900F
PlanetAVS is offline  
post #13931 of 14815 Old 01-31-2019, 12:17 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 19
[quote=PlanetAVS;57530646]I assume you mean the Samsung (only HDR10). You'll still get HDR10 if you play Dolby Vision content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubs418 View Post
You have been misinformed.

The Sony 85X900F definitely has both HDR10 and Dolby Vision.

He was referring to the lack of HDR10+ on the Sony 900F
according to this: https://www.sony.com/electronics/tel...specifications

it does not list dolby vision. This is what is says: Yes (HDR10, HLG)

It ALSO lacks HDR10+.

Will an HDR10+ signal be able to scale back to HDR10??
Michael Carton is offline  
post #13932 of 14815 Old 01-31-2019, 12:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 464
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 118
[quote=Michael Carton;57530664]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
I assume you mean the Samsung (only HDR10). You'll still get HDR10 if you play Dolby Vision content.


according to this: https://www.sony.com/electronics/tel...specifications

it does not list dolby vision. This is what is says: Yes (HDR10, HLG)

It ALSO lacks HDR10+.

Will an HDR10+ signal be able to scale back to HDR10??
Interesting. I see what you mean. If the 85X900F does not have DV, then I most certainly am getting the Vizio Quantum X when it releases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Assume that you meant Samsung, not Sony. You'll still get HDR10 when playing Dolby Vision content.



He was referring to the lack of HDR10+ on the 900F
Can you confirm if 85X900F does indeed have Dolby Vision capabilities?

Last edited by gocubs418; 01-31-2019 at 12:26 PM.
gocubs418 is offline  
post #13933 of 14815 Old 01-31-2019, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 314
[quote=Michael Carton;57530664]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
I assume you mean the Samsung (only HDR10). You'll still get HDR10 if you play Dolby Vision content.


according to this: https://www.sony.com/electronics/tel...specifications

it does not list dolby vision. This is what is says: Yes (HDR10, HLG)

It ALSO lacks HDR10+.

Will an HDR10+ signal be able to scale back to HDR10??
The 900F did not have DV when released but DV was added through a firmware update. Guessing the website wasn't updated.

Both DV and HDR10+ will scale back to HDR10 if the TV does not support DV/HDR10+. With very few exceptions HDR10+ is Samsung, DV is everybody else. LG might support both in a couple of TVs but I'm not really sure.

Be aware support for the Sony version of DV or Samsung HDR10+ on disks is dependent on your Bluray player being compatible, read the specs carefully, if it does HDR then HRD10 will be supported.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
Cheddarhead is offline  
post #13934 of 14815 Old 01-31-2019, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,201
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2038 Post(s)
Liked: 1913
[quote=Michael Carton;57530664]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
I assume you mean the Samsung (only HDR10). You'll still get HDR10 if you play Dolby Vision content.


according to this: https://www.sony.com/electronics/tel...specifications

it does not list dolby vision. This is what is says: Yes (HDR10, HLG)

It ALSO lacks HDR10+.

Will an HDR10+ signal be able to scale back to HDR10??
I see where the misunderstanding is. The 900F did not support Dolby Vision on release but added it shortly after via a firmware update. I believe the specs you are looking at were based on the initial release. If you read the product description above the chart you referred to you will see confirmation of the Dolby Vision support.

All of these HDR formats contain a HDR10 base layer. At a minimum, any HDR capable TV will provide at least HDR10 output from a HDR10+ source.
PlanetAVS is offline  
post #13935 of 14815 Old 01-31-2019, 12:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 464
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Thank you gentlemen.
gocubs418 is offline  
post #13936 of 14815 Old 01-31-2019, 12:59 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 19
[quote=PlanetAVS;57530822]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Carton View Post

I see where the misunderstanding is. The 900F did not support Dolby Vision on release but added it shortly after via a firmware update. I believe the specs you are looking at were based on the initial release. If you read the product description above the chart you referred to you will see confirmation of the Dolby Vision support.

All of these HDR formats contain a HDR10 base layer. At a minimum, any HDR capable TV will provide at least HDR10 output from a HDR10+ source.
Thanks, so between the 85" Sony x900f and a 82" samsung Qled 8 series, I'm just choosing between HDR10+(Sammy) and Dolby Vision (Sony) as winning out??

Sony XBR 85 900F
Sony STR DN1080
TI 85 Calculator with Snake
Michael Carton is offline  
post #13937 of 14815 Old 01-31-2019, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,201
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2038 Post(s)
Liked: 1913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Carton View Post
Thanks, so between the 85" Sony x900f and a 82" samsung Qled 8 series, I'm just choosing between HDR10+(Sammy) and Dolby Vision (Sony) as winning out??
Someone else asked about these two earlier today and I answered in post 13924. But you can add HDR10+ as a Samsung advantage in the list of pros and cons for each TV.
PlanetAVS is offline  
post #13938 of 14815 Old 01-31-2019, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 314
[quote=Cheddarhead;57530796]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Carton View Post

The 900F did not have DV when released but DV was added through a firmware update. Guessing the website wasn't updated.

Both DV and HDR10+ will scale back to HDR10 if the TV does not support DV/HDR10+. With very few exceptions HDR10+ is Samsung, DV is everybody else. LG might support both in a couple of TVs but I'm not really sure.

Be aware support for the Sony version of DV or Samsung HDR10+ on disks is dependent on your Bluray player being compatible, read the specs carefully, if it does HDR then HRD10 will be supported.
[quote=PlanetAVS;57530822]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Carton View Post

I see where the misunderstanding is. The 900F did not support Dolby Vision on release but added it shortly after via a firmware update. I believe the specs you are looking at were based on the initial release. If you read the product description above the chart you referred to you will see confirmation of the Dolby Vision support.

All of these HDR formats contain a HDR10 base layer. At a minimum, any HDR capable TV will provide at least HDR10 output from a HDR10+ source.
Jinx

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
Cheddarhead is offline  
post #13939 of 14815 Old 01-31-2019, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Someone else asked about these two earlier today and I answered in post 13924. But you can add HDR10+ as a Samsung advantage in the list of pros and cons for each TV.
Not sure I would list hdr10+ as an advantage what with the lack of media and the fact that Samsung doesn't support DV.
Panson likes this.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
Cheddarhead is offline  
post #13940 of 14815 Old 01-31-2019, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,201
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2038 Post(s)
Liked: 1913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
Not sure I would list hdr10+ as an advantage what with the lack of media and the fact that Samsung doesn't support DV.
It's minor but an advantage regardless. A degree of futureproofing at least. I'd still go with the 85X900F over the 82Q8FN.
Panson likes this.
PlanetAVS is offline  
post #13941 of 14815 Old 02-01-2019, 01:03 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello

I am now going to buy a screen and is currently confused between two

lg 86sj957v 4K SUHD

Sony 85X9000F 4K UHD

I will use the screen for games and movies

I need your help to be able to select the appropriate screen for me

Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
almawdah is offline  
post #13942 of 14815 Old 02-01-2019, 08:26 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
The Indecision Has Consumed Me

Ahoy!

Currently I have a Sony XBR65X930E that will soon be moved into a Family Room/Man Cave of sorts. Been on the lookout for a decently priced TV (approx $300), am even okay with going down to a 50" or above as it'll primarily just be for the wife and she doesn't care about all the bells and whistles. My local Walmart has two TCL 65S4's in stock for $373.50 which I believe were Black Friday models. Worth it or no way? If not, any other recommendations you all can make would be greatly appreciated.
Beebo32 is offline  
post #13943 of 14815 Old 02-02-2019, 05:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
BillP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 14,668
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 477
You may also want to look at Vizio. Both BestBuy and WalMart have a 50" Vizio for $300, and WalMart has a 65" Vizio for $318 (although currently out-of-stock). IMO, Vizio is a better brand than TCL.

Sony A9G, Oppo 205, Parasound JC2, Parasound A21, Sonus Faber Olympica IIIs
BillP is online now  
post #13944 of 14815 Old 02-02-2019, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member
 
TravisPNW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 919
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
IMO, Vizio is a better brand than TCL.

I'd agree. Every TCL I've ever looked at had visible light bleed in the corners of the screen and the one I did purchase on BF 2017 powered on to a dead screen with sound only 2 months after purchase. It was a blessing in disguise... I returned it and bought my OLED.

LG B7A OLED 65” / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Movie collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
TravisPNW is offline  
post #13945 of 14815 Old 02-02-2019, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Moderator
 
rboster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 25,059
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1625 Post(s)
Liked: 2234
I've moved your thread to the LCD forum. You won't find a OLED within your budget, so you'll get more suggestions in this forum.
TravisPNW likes this.
rboster is online now  
post #13946 of 14815 Old 02-02-2019, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 535
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebo32 View Post
Ahoy!

Currently I have a Sony XBR65X930E that will soon be moved into a Family Room/Man Cave of sorts. Been on the lookout for a decently priced TV (approx $300), am even okay with going down to a 50" or above as it'll primarily just be for the wife and she doesn't care about all the bells and whistles. My local Walmart has two TCL 65S4's in stock for $373.50 which I believe were Black Friday models. Worth it or no way? If not, any other recommendations you all can make would be greatly appreciated.
I’d be on the lookout for a low end Vizio E or find a 2017 TCL P series refurbished.
acphydro is offline  
post #13947 of 14815 Old 02-02-2019, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,201
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2038 Post(s)
Liked: 1913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebo32 View Post
Ahoy!

Currently I have a Sony XBR65X930E that will soon be moved into a Family Room/Man Cave of sorts. Been on the lookout for a decently priced TV (approx $300), am even okay with going down to a 50" or above as it'll primarily just be for the wife and she doesn't care about all the bells and whistles. My local Walmart has two TCL 65S4's in stock for $373.50 which I believe were Black Friday models. Worth it or no way? If not, any other recommendations you all can make would be greatly appreciated.
At this price point picture quality is going to be a compromise. The PQ is probably not going to be that different between TCL and Vizio, but the screen size will be therefore I'd get the largest screen size you can. The TCLs you quoted are a good deal to stay at 65. Your wife will probably appreciate the ease of use of the built in Roku operating system as well.

If you go smaller and cheaper, the new Vizio V50 would also be a good choice.
PlanetAVS is offline  
post #13948 of 14815 Old 02-03-2019, 11:00 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello everyone.

I'm so confused that I've put off this purchase several times already, and then I found this website to I'm hoping to solve my dilemma.


I'm looking to buy a 65 inch tv.
It needs to have good brightness because it will be in a room with a lot of windows, they have blinds, curtains will come later but won't change much.
It needs to have a good viewing angle to about 25-30 degrees off center.
Cost under $1000
I don't care if it's a smart TV or not, right now I have DirecTV, when I cut the cord I'll be using an NVidia Shield.


What is making this so difficult is that I believe that I got some bad information which I'm sure is easy to come by wherever TVs are sold. I'm taking care of my 95 year old mom. The TV goes on at 8 AM and doesn't go off till midnight most days.

I was pretty set on a Vizio model but the salesman told me that that TV wasn't meant for more than about 6-8 hours a day. Obviously, I need better than that. Sams has an LG on sale for $679, the model number is
65UK6500AUA

Is this suitable for my needs or should I look at something else? I'm going to buy an extended warranty no matter what the choice is.


Thanks for the help.
Ron
Ron Lawrence is offline  
post #13949 of 14815 Old 02-03-2019, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,201
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2038 Post(s)
Liked: 1913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Lawrence View Post
Hello everyone.

I'm so confused that I've put off this purchase several times already, and then I found this website to I'm hoping to solve my dilemma.


I'm looking to buy a 65 inch tv.
It needs to have good brightness because it will be in a room with a lot of windows, they have blinds, curtains will come later but won't change much.
It needs to have a good viewing angle to about 25-30 degrees off center.
Cost under $1000
I don't care if it's a smart TV or not, right now I have DirecTV, when I cut the cord I'll be using an NVidia Shield.


What is making this so difficult is that I believe that I got some bad information which I'm sure is easy to come by wherever TVs are sold. I'm taking care of my 95 year old mom. The TV goes on at 8 AM and doesn't go off till midnight most days.

I was pretty set on a Vizio model but the salesman told me that that TV wasn't meant for more than about 6-8 hours a day. Obviously, I need better than that. Sams has an LG on sale for $679, the model number is
65UK6500AUA

Is this suitable for my needs or should I look at something else? I'm going to buy an extended warranty no matter what the choice is.


Thanks for the help.
Ron
Virtually all TVs are smart TVs, just go with it. You don't have to use the smart features, the Nvidia Shield will definitely give you access to almost anything you need.

There are no daily limits on a TV's viewing, lol.

IPS panels are better for viewing angle but they make blacks look greyer. However the greyish blacks are not as noticeable in bright conditions, therefore it would probably be a good fit for your goals.
The LG is a decent choice, I'm guessing that the LG65UK6500AUA is the warehouse club version of the LG UK6570, which gets decent reviews for its price class. It also has excellent anti reflection which is handy for your bright room. Also consider the Sony 65 inch 750F, which has better viewing angle performance but might be a bit higher in street price.

Here are the rankings for the TVs viewing angle performance:
https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/pict.../viewing-angle
CruelInventions likes this.

Last edited by PlanetAVS; 02-03-2019 at 12:20 PM.
PlanetAVS is offline  
post #13950 of 14815 Old 02-03-2019, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,057
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 1593
"Sams has an LG on sale for $679, the model number is
65UK6500AUA. Is this suitable for my needs or should I look at something else? I'm going to buy an extended warranty no matter what the choice is."

Good choice, Ron. Enjoy.
Panson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Cables Interconnects , Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Sony , Toshiba

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off