the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 474 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 741Likes

post #14191 of 14815 Old 04-16-2019, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
I think your original thinking re X850F 85" is still valid. This is a VA panel and received much better notices than the X850F 65" and 75" IPS panels. Though it's hard to find a professional review for the 85", it's received some favorable comments lately at this site. Good luck.
Thanks Panson! Definitely some information I'd missed. Back on board with the 850!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14192 of 14815 Old 04-16-2019, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Quote:
Stick with it.
+1. Especially if you don't want to give up 3D. HDR is nice but not really worth upgrading from an excellent 2015 4K TV.
well I guess I don't need to totally give it up... I've been thinking I might move my JS9500 to the bedroom. If I ever really want to watch a 3D movie in the home theater I could just move it down for the night. It's not like I watch 3D all the time, but I do love my 3D Bluray collection.

Pretending that 3D is not part of the equation, what would you say? I was in Best Buy today and they have an open box Z9F for under $2,000... the sales rep said it's Sony's best TV. Anyone here that can attest to that?
post #14193 of 14815 Old 04-16-2019, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1414 Post(s)
Liked: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevrox View Post
I was in Best Buy today and they have an open box Z9F for under $2,000... the sales rep said it's Sony's best TV. Anyone here that can attest to that?
It's their master series LCD and is a great TV for a family room - very bright, wide viewing angles, excellent local dimming, motion control and upscaling. Dark room performance isn't the best so I wouldn't recommend it for a totally dark theater room. That $2K price is good vs. the $3.5K for a brand new one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14194 of 14815 Old 04-16-2019, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2038 Post(s)
Liked: 1914
Quote:
well I guess I don't need to totally give it up... I've been thinking I might move my JS9500 to the bedroom. If I ever really want to watch a 3D movie in the home theater I could just move it down for the night. It's not like I watch 3D all the time, but I do love my 3D Bluray collection.

Pretending that 3D is not part of the equation, what would you say? I was in Best Buy today and they have an open box Z9F for under $2,000... the sales rep said it's Sony's best TV. Anyone here that can attest to that?
Sounds like you have upgrade-itis

The Sony Z9F is excellent in many ways but Sony added the new XWide Angle technology which gives it better viewing angles but at the expense of black levels. Check out the HDTV test and Rtngs reviews.

Any of the earlier options you mentioned would be good. I would recommend the Vizio P Quantum of the three. It has deep blacks almost as good as OLEDs, and is ultra bright for HDR. It can be had for around $1400 on closeout pricing.
post #14195 of 14815 Old 04-16-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
Quote:
I was in Best Buy today and they have an open box Z9F for under $2,000... the sales rep said it's Sony's best TV. Anyone here that can attest to that?
It's their master series LCD and is a great TV for a family room - very bright, wide viewing angles, excellent local dimming, motion control and upscaling. Dark room performance isn't the best so I wouldn't recommend it for a totally dark theater room. That $2K price is good vs. the $3.5K for a brand new one.
Quote:
Quote:

Sounds like you have upgrade-itis [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

The Sony Z9F is excellent in many ways but Sony added the new XWide Angle technology which gives it better viewing angles but at the expense of black levels. Check out the HDTV test and Rtngs reviews.

Any of the earlier options you mentioned would be good. I would recommend the Vizio P Quantum of the three. It has deep blacks almost as good as OLEDs, and is ultra bright for HDR. It can be had for around $1400 on closeout pricing.
I think I do have that condition right now, lol. But I also have indecisiveness 😄

The price for the Z9F open box does seem like a steal, but from what you both have told me probably not a huge upgrade for the money. My home theater room is in the basement and I've covered up both windows, so I have it pretty dark for movie viewing. Viewing angle isn't something I'm concerned with at all either. So perhaps the Z9F isn't for me.

They didn't have the Vizio PQ65 on display at Best Buy so I didn't get to see that. I did think both the X900F and the Z9F looked stunning, though. It's hard for me to tell by viewing demos in the store anyway... whatever TV I get I will have professionally calibrated just as I did with my JS9500.

I think my main problem right now is that I have over 200 UHD discs and so many of them have Dolby Vision, and I can't experience it and I don't like that. 😄 The Q8FN looks like a really, really great TV too but the lack of Dolby Vision is what's holding me back from sticking with Samsung.

They also had an open box LG OLED C8 for $2,350.

Ahhh, decisions, decisions... by the time I decide the Z9F will probably be gone and I'm not willing to spend over $3,000 so that will probably not be happening.
post #14196 of 14815 Old 04-16-2019, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think I do have that condition right now, lol. But I also have indecisiveness 😄

The price for the Z9F open box does seem like a steal, but from what you both have told me probably not a huge upgrade for the money. My home theater room is in the basement and I've covered up both windows, so I have it pretty dark for movie viewing. Viewing angle isn't something I'm concerned with at all either. So perhaps the Z9F isn't for me.

They didn't have the Vizio PQ65 on display at Best Buy so I didn't get to see that. I did think both the X900F and the Z9F looked stunning, though. It's hard for me to tell by viewing demos in the store anyway... whatever TV I get I will have professionally calibrated just as I did with my JS9500.

I think my main problem right now is that I have over 200 UHD discs and so many of them have Dolby Vision, and I can't experience it and I don't like that. 😄 The Q8FN looks like a really, really great TV too but the lack of Dolby Vision is what's holding me back from sticking with Samsung.

Ahhh, decisions, decisions... by the time I decide the Z9F will probably be gone and I'm not willing to spend over $3,000 so that will probably not be happening.
You can do way better than $2350 for a LG C8

If you're determined to buy from Best Buy, the 900F is not a bad choice.
post #14197 of 14815 Old 04-16-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Quote:

If you're determined to buy from Best Buy, the 900F is not a bad choice.
Eh, Best Buy worries me because of the 15 day return policy. I'm going to take a trip to BJ's with my mother some day soon since she has a membership to check out what they have and what prices.

The Vizio quantum looks like a good deal at the Costco website. I'm really leaning towards that. Is it really as good/better than these other TVs that are priced so much higher?

I don't plan on buying (if I do) until another 2-3 weeks anyway. I'm also curious to see what the 2019 Vizio Quantum X is like.

I guess I'm leaning towards either the Vizio or Sony 900f
post #14198 of 14815 Old 04-16-2019, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Eh, Best Buy worries me because of the 15 day return policy. I'm going to take a trip to BJ's with my mother some day soon since she has a membership to check out what they have and what prices.

The Vizio quantum looks like a good deal at the Costco website. I'm really leaning towards that. Is it really as good/better than these other TVs that are priced so much higher?

I don't plan on buying (if I do) until another 2-3 weeks anyway. I'm also curious to see what the 2019 Vizio Quantum X is like.

I guess I'm leaning towards either the Vizio or Sony 900f
As I mentioned before, the Vizio PQ would be my choice. I had it previously but exchanged it for the 75 inch Sony 900F for the larger screen size and expecting to get much better upscaling. The Sony upscaling hasn't been the upgrade that I was expecting. The Vizio is excellent for deep blacks, motion, brightness, color and Dolby Vision support. The only negatives are the Smart O/S and some owners complain of blooming.

Costco is excellent not just for price but for the 90 day return policy, no questions asked. They'll also deliver and pickup if you return it, for no additional cost.
post #14199 of 14815 Old 04-16-2019, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I'm driving myself nuts trying to decide. I've been waiting to see the new Vizios and TCLs, but at this rate I might have to check myself into an inpatient facility before they hit store shelves. If I wanted 65", I'd probably just pull the trigger on the PQ from Costco, but I think I need to go to 75" (replacing a 12-year-old 65" DLP). I've been really tempted by the 900f, and by a Q9FN on eBay special for around the same price, but I don't think I want to spend that much. (I'd rather just be more comfortable upgrading sooner.)

My TV room gets VERY bright during the day, so the Samsung Qs seem like a decent option, but then I wonder if I'd regret not having DV. And I worry about having to swap out a huge set, or maybe the Q panel lottery just seems worse than it is since people with issues are more likely to post online than those without.

Maybe I should just listen to music. . .
kateyes likes this.
post #14200 of 14815 Old 04-16-2019, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You can get a 65" LG B8 for $1,800.
post #14201 of 14815 Old 04-16-2019, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi,

Need a suggestion, I'm in the market for a new 75 inch TV, have the following options (broadly the same price point hence not able to make a choice)

1) Samsung Q6F
2) Samsung RU8000
3) Sony X850F

Not able to decide between these, I use my TV for basically watching movies blue ray, Netflix & Prime video

Please help
post #14202 of 14815 Old 04-16-2019, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked: 1600
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav013a View Post
Hi,

Need a suggestion, I'm in the market for a new 75 inch TV, have the following options (broadly the same price point hence not able to make a choice)

1) Samsung Q6F
2) Samsung RU8000
3) Sony X850F

Not able to decide between these, I use my TV for basically watching movies blue ray, Netflix & Prime video

Please help
1 & 2 have VA panels, 3 has IPS (not much review love for 65", 75"), so the choice should be from 1 and 2.

I'm intrigued by Samsung 2019 tech claims for No. 2, improved PQ and local dimming. See for yourself in Q6FN comparison. Good luck.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #14203 of 14815 Old 04-17-2019, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 1
[quote=Panson;57909642]Sony X900F and X950G, both under $1500. FWIW the latter has Ultimate Processor, eARC.

Any thoughts on the sonyx850? My installer is suggesting that in order to be closer to $1200. Will that be adequate or am I settling?
post #14204 of 14815 Old 04-17-2019, 09:26 AM

[quote=zeak;57915032]
Quote:
Sony X900F and X950G, both under $1500. FWIW the latter has Ultimate Processor, eARC.

Any thoughts on the sonyx850? My installer is suggesting that in order to be closer to $1200. Will that be adequate or am I settling?
I think the x850 is IPS and the other two are VA, so there's likely a big difference in image quality. However, you mentioned that you'll be viewing a 55" at distances over 10 feet, so I don't know how noticeable it would be, especially considering the fact that you also said it's a brightly lit room.

RTINGs gives screen reflection scores of 8.6 for the 850 and 8.7 for the 900 and 950, so that doesn't appear to be a big difference.

How wide is the room? The IPS panel of the 850 would have better viewing angles if people are sitting off to the side.
post #14205 of 14815 Old 04-17-2019, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 1
[quote=DJ Kuul A;57915152]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeak View Post

I think the x850 is IPS and the other two are VA, so there's likely a big difference in image quality. However, you mentioned that you'll be viewing a 55" at distances over 10 feet, so I don't know how noticeable it would be, especially considering the fact that you also said it's a brightly lit room.

RTINGs gives screen reflection scores of 8.6 for the 850 and 8.7 for the 900 and 950, so that doesn't appear to be a big difference.

How wide is the room? The IPS panel of the 850 would have better viewing angles if people are sitting off to the side.
Thanks. Room is about 20 ft wide and there are multiple viewing angles/distances. TV is on a floating mount that retracts when we're not using it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6944.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	2554444   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6945.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	2554446  
post #14206 of 14815 Old 04-17-2019, 09:58 AM

Interesting. The angles aren't too bad, since you have the set mounted in the corner. (Well done not putting it over the fireplace! ) Do you have a store where you can see the models you're considering? If so, you could measure the widest viewing angles in your room and go see whether there's much difference between them at those angles.
post #14207 of 14815 Old 04-17-2019, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

[quote=DJ Kuul A;57915152]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeak View Post

[quote=zeak;57915302]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Kuul A View Post

Thanks. Room is about 20 ft wide and there are multiple viewing angles/distances. TV is on a floating mount that retracts when we're not using it.
The 55" X850 is an IPS panel, which means greyer (worse) blacks but less color/brightness/contrast shift from angles. However the greyer blacks are not as noticeable in well lit conditions, therefore your room should be fine during the day but night time would be worse. Based on your pictures, you could definitely benefit from better viewing angles. It's your call as to what you want to prioritize of course.

Personally I think the viewing angle issue is overstated, but that's just my opinion.

EDIT: Does your retractable mount have the ability to swivel? If so, that is an alternative way to manage viewing angles and you might be able to get the best of both worlds by getting a VA panel and use the swivel feature to optimize viewing. It won't work when you have several people sitting in different locations of course.
post #14208 of 14815 Old 04-18-2019, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hi I am trying to decide if keeping my actual Sony X900F or move to the Samsung Q8fn. I watch mostly movies in dark room. Which is the best option for this use ? I like the motion in the Sony as well as the reality creation feature that I already experienced with my old Sony projector 500es. I was curious about how much more contrast and better black levels I may find with the Samsung. Thank you!
post #14209 of 14815 Old 04-18-2019, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyp1974 View Post
Hi I am trying to decide if keeping my actual Sony X900F or move to the Samsung Q8fn. I watch mostly movies in dark room. Which is the best option for this use ? I like the motion in the Sony as well as the reality creation feature that I already experienced with my old Sony projector 500es. I was curious about how much more contrast and better black levels I may find with the Samsung. Thank you!
The Samsung has deeper blacks, although I don't know how noticeable it would be. Overall they each have pros/cons. IMO, it wouldn't be worth the trouble but YMMV.

Here is the side by side comparison from Rtngs:
https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/comp...omparison_2317
post #14210 of 14815 Old 04-18-2019, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thank you very much. So it seems that as regards watching movies in a dark room the two tvs are quite interchangeable. Rtings actually gives a little advantage to the Sony for this use and I bought the tv following their judgment. Then after reading very high enthusiastic reviews about the Samsung I started to think about a potential replacement.
post #14211 of 14815 Old 04-18-2019, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I posted questions about 9 months ago, but never made a purchase. Things have changed with the 2019 models available.

Size first:

I've been thinking either 65" or 75". This is in a multi-purpose family room where the max viewing distance will be 12', but also can be as close as 7' to 8' when multitasking (i.e. workout routine, folding/ironing laundry, etc.). I'm coming from a 40" on a stand where the screen is about 18" from the wall, and the new TV will be mounted ON the wall. We have one seating location that is around 45 deg off-center, but that is usually my wife and she probably wouldn't care/notice a difference in picture quality. Will be used for cable TV (Fios), movies (mostly 1080p but transitioning to 4K over time), and Nintendo Switch (maybe another 4K console in the future). Leaning toward 65", especially if I choose Samsung because % discounts through [email protected] are MUCH higher for 65" vs 75" (although maybe that will change). Budget is flexible, but I get satisfaction from finding the sweet spot in terms of value.

Independent of size, I have it down to the following models:

Q90R: Seems to most OLED-like LCD. I can get a nice deal through [email protected] for $2599 (i.e. same price as 2018 Q9FN).

Q80R: Not a huge fan of OneConnect and not sure the extra dimming zones are worth it since we generally have ambient lights on (e.g. under cabinet kitchen lights at night in line-of-sight beyond TV). Also MUCH cheaper at $1899 (pricing is even better than 2018 Q8FN). No RTINGS or HDTVtest review yet, and it looks like it could be quite a while before at least RTINGS gets to it.

X950: I prefer Sony's motion processing and software interface to Samsung and like the idea of Android TV without needing a separate box. I even have dreams of using Android TV to run Retroarch ;-) No special pricing deals though, so more expensive than Q80R. Also like the idea of having eARC, but not sure I'll ever get a soundbar or receiver because we tend to only set the volume high enough to JUST make out the dialog (wife HATES loud TV). Z9F seems way overpriced compared to X950G. X950G is a big premium over X900F (at least currently), but I like the faster Android TV SOC and lower 1080p input lag. Also, I understand there might be a big difference between 65" and 75" due to addition of viewing angle filter.

C8: Very highly regarded and heavily discounted while supplies last. Concerned that burn-in risk doesn't suit my tendency to worry and also not sure perfect blacks are worth the risk because I almost never view in a pitch dark room (although maybe I would if the experience was worth it).

C9: Most of the same concerns as C8, but currently the street price is a LOT more expensive. Extra expense over C8 would provide piece of mind about getting latest features. No RTINGS or HDTVtest review yet, although RTINGS is coming soon.
post #14212 of 14815 Old 04-18-2019, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

thomase, discounts or no discounts, I'd hate to suffer from motion or burn-in sickness, so I'll vote for X950G. Good luck.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

post #14213 of 14815 Old 04-18-2019, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomase View Post
I've been thinking either 65" or 75". This is in a multi-purpose family room where the max viewing distance will be 12', but also can be as close as 7' to 8' when multitasking (i.e. workout routine, folding/ironing laundry, etc.). I'm coming from a 40" on a stand where the screen is about 18" from the wall, and the new TV will be mounted ON the wall. We have one seating location that is around 45 deg off-center, but that is usually my wife and she probably wouldn't care/notice a difference in picture quality. Will be used for cable TV (Fios), movies (mostly 1080p but transitioning to 4K over time), and Nintendo Switch (maybe another 4K console in the future). Leaning toward 65", especially if I choose Samsung because % discounts through [email protected] are MUCH higher for 65" vs 75" (although maybe that will change). Budget is flexible, but I get satisfaction from finding the sweet spot in terms of value.
With a 45 degree off angle situation for your wife, you want the extended viewing angle. She will notice, and you will be blamed! So, if you want the Sony, you need to go for the 75" which comes with the wide angle layer at around $3.5K. Either Samsung will work at 65" and 75" as both sizes have the wide angle layer, an of course the OLED has great viewing angles. Right now the 65" LG B8 is regularly available for under $2K, so less than the Q90R and about the same as the Q80R. At the same price, I can't see not picking the LG OLED over the Samsung Q80R "QLED". All LCD FALD dimming schemes and algorithms are a bit of a kluge which work OK on some material and not so well on other material. Samsung seems to favor black bars over actual content which leads to black crush and lack of shadow detail. But you can make some adjustments for that if you're willing to spend the time. For OLEDs each pixel is individually controlled so no need for controlling zones of pixels.
post #14214 of 14815 Old 04-19-2019, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
1. Budget: $1300CAD (which is about $1000 USD)
2. Size/placement limitations : 55
3. Uses and sources: Netflix, IPTV (some IPTV channels less than 1080p) . Mostly watching movies , sports and playing PS4
4: Prefer TV to be reliable(since I own a car and don't want hassle of returning multiple times) I was considering vizio p55-f1 but held back upscaling and QC issues.
post #14215 of 14815 Old 04-19-2019, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye10 View Post
1. Budget: $1300CAD (which is about $1000 USD)
2. Size/placement limitations : 55
3. Uses and sources: Netflix, IPTV (some IPTV channels less than 1080p) . Mostly watching movies , sports and playing PS4
4: Prefer TV to be reliable(since I own a car and don't want hassle of returning multiple times) I was considering vizio p55-f1 but held back upscaling and QC issues.
If you're in Canada, Panasonic 55" 4K PRO HDR (TC55FX800). $1298, Visions.ca. 2 year warranty.

Good luck.

post #14216 of 14815 Old 04-19-2019, 01:28 PM

Back in December, I posted the following. (Thanks to VA_DaveB for advice at the time!) My Toshiba finally kicked the bucket about a month ago, so we've been making do with our 50" bedroom set in the TV room and even my wife is getting antsy (she has to wear her glasses now to watch).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Kuul A View Post
Sooooo. . .here's where I'm at.

My Toshiba 65hm167 is starting to dim again. . .at this point, I'll miss it, but when this bulb goes, it'll be time to upgrade. That set has served me well for a long, long time, but LCD tech has come a long way since the last time I shopped for a TV (which was actually the plasma currently in my bedroom, but I digress. . .).

I watch from a distance of about 9' for the most part (also from the dinner table a bit farther away ). The room is not super wide, so a wide viewing angle is not necessary.

The most important viewing is done at night when the room is very dark. However, I live in Florida, and my TV room has a number of south-facing windows. During the day, it gets bright and there's plenty of glare, even with the curtains closed.

Usage: BD (4K and 2K) and DVD movies, PS4, sports, and various other regular HD cable content [now including Netflix]. In that order in terms of personal importance, but in terms of actual time spent, it might be reversed, so this is "Mixed Use" City. (I'm sure I'll try some 4K streaming too, once I have a 4K set.)

Image quality is most important to me, by a wide margin. Audio is least important (it's actually very important to me, but I intentionally set up my HT so that everything runs through my STR-DN1080, thus the TV's audio is meaningless ). Minimizing screen glare/reflection is also high on the list, as is input lag (for gaming).

After much hemming and hawing, I think I've decided to go to 75". This removes OLED from the equation due to budgetary constraints.

I'm actually kind of bouncing between the Vizio P75 (currently $1700 at Costco) and the Sony X900F (currently around $2800 at various places; some sites seem to have it for a few hundred less).

I can see the X900f in 75" and the P65 on the wall at Best Buy. . .everything looks "nice" there with those demo reels and settings cranked up (especially compared to my nearly dead DLP bulb at home), but who knows what they'll look like in my house, calibrated.

To some extent, it's a question of what I can afford vs. what I can justify. I think I am just going to have to determine whether that price difference is worth it to me, and go from there. Does anyone who owns one of those sets have comments, positive or negative, on any of my criteria? Is there another set in those price ranges that I should be considering? The X850f on the BB wall doesn't look hugely different from the 900f aside from the $1000 missing from its price tag, but from what I read online, it's a significantly inferior panel. Will I notice? Does the Vizio for a similar price blow it away? Am I wrong to give up on Samsung and LG?
Dave recommended the Q8, since reflections are an issue. At the time, it was way more than I was looking to spend.

I've been awaiting the new Vizios and TCLs, but like I said, the wait is getting annoying. I've considered getting the PQ-65 for $1400 at Costco and hoping I don't make myself bitter for not going 75" yet. That's definitely a comfortable price.

One thing I've noticed, however, is that last year's high-end Sammys just keep getting cheaper. A local store (Brandsmart) currently has the 75Q9FN for $2500, which is REALLY tempting, even though that's definitely the high end of what I can justify spending. (Every time I'm in a store and see how nice even the cheapo sets look compared to what I had before, the distance between what I can afford and what I can justify gets a little wider.)

Thoughts? Is it time to just pull the trigger on the Q9?

Last edited by DJ Kuul A; 04-19-2019 at 02:45 PM.
post #14217 of 14815 Old 04-19-2019, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 30
In the market for 75" TV. Have owned plasma sets for the past 12 years. Currently view most programming/movies, etc. on a Samsung D8000 ( 7.5 yrs old with 21k hours ). Have a larger room/new house so want to upgrade size.

Don't care for smart tv/apps, etc. and probably be limited to a very small percentage of 4k viewing ( there's not much out there, let's be honest ).

Viewing breakdown as followed: Cable/Sat 70%, Fire stick/Roku ( Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO Now ) 20%, Oppo Bluray 10%
I watch a ton of sporting events.

I run everything through my Yamaha 2070 receiver 100% of the time.

Any suggestions? Have visited local shops a few times over the last 2-3 weeks but don't really get a good feel for a TV's performance just viewing 4k looped programming.

Dan
post #14218 of 14815 Old 04-19-2019, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by platoon2063 View Post
In the market for 75" TV. Have owned plasma sets for the past 12 years. Currently view most programming/movies, etc. on a Samsung D8000 ( 7.5 yrs old with 21k hours ). Have a larger room/new house so want to upgrade size.
Don't care for smart tv/apps, etc. and probably be limited to a very small percentage of 4k viewing ( there's not much out there, let's be honest ).
Viewing breakdown as followed: Cable/Sat 70%, Fire stick/Roku ( Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO Now ) 20%, Oppo Bluray 10%
I watch a ton of sporting events.
I run everything through my Yamaha 2070 receiver 100% of the time.
Any suggestions? Have visited local shops a few times over the last 2-3 weeks but don't really get a good feel for a TV's performance just viewing 4k looped programming.
Dan
You didn't mention what your budget was. Or whether you're cautious about OLED burn-in possibility.

FYI Rtings ratings - Overall, and Sports.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/be.../70-75-77-inch

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/sports

You're not interested in the latest features, so look at these two 2018 close-outs. Examples at B&H Photo: LG C8 OLED 77", $4500; Sony X900F LED 75", $2800. You may find these cheaper elsewhere.

Good luck.

post #14219 of 14815 Old 04-19-2019, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Looks like the Sony 900F is the unit I should look closely at. While I have never had a plasma ( owned 3 ) fall victim to burn-in, it does seem that OLED is definitely susceptible to it.
Panson likes this.
post #14220 of 14815 Old 04-20-2019, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by platoon2063 View Post
Looks like the Sony 900F is the unit I should look closely at. While I have never had a plasma ( owned 3 ) fall victim to burn-in, it does seem that OLED is definitely susceptible to it.
FWIW Your experiences with plasma and viewing habits (no static graphics, game-playing) probably make you a good OLED candidate.

That said, I think the X900F's a worthwhile audition for PQ and resting easier. Have fun.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Cables Interconnects , Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Sony , Toshiba

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page