the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 476 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 804Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #14251 of 15165 Old 04-26-2019, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 666
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
Do TCL TVs last long? I would hate to buy a TV that craps out on me quickly.
Kind of hard to know since the brand is fairly young but I wouldn't bet on it especially with their poor reputation when it comes to QA. That said at half the price of the Sony how much do you really care if 2 TCLs outlast a single Sony?

TCL and Hisense are both owned by the Chinese Government if you care about that kind of thing.
PlanetAVS likes this.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
Cheddarhead is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14252 of 15165 Old 04-26-2019, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,399
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2168 Post(s)
Liked: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
Is there a reason why? I find it very hard to believe that I am the only person in the world that wants a center stand. I see no advantage of moving away from it. Center stands are better as it helps TVs stand on smaller furniture.
A lot of people prefer the older center based stands and most would agree that aesthetically they look better. And the furniture aspect is definitely true. The wider based stands that are the current trend are to accommodate placement of a soundbar underneath the TV. My guess is that it is also due to the increasing screen size of current TVs, and the wider placement of the legs adds stability.
PlanetAVS is offline  
post #14253 of 15165 Old 04-26-2019, 10:23 AM
Member
 
Detonation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detonation View Post
Looking to upgrade my 65" Vizio in my basement to a 75".

I'd love to get an OLED, but I just can't justify $4000 on the 77". So my dilemma is, do I go the cheaper route as a temporary measure, waiting a year or two for OLED prices to come down and knowing I'd then move this TV upstairs into the living room where it's casual viewing. Or do I just spend the money and get something nice and worry about the future later.

On the low end, I've been considering the Samsung NU8000 or the Vizio P75-F1. The Vizio is the better TV on paper, but as a current Vizio owner, I despise their software and I have concerns over the long term reliability and QC. The only reason I have a Vizio now is because I got it for dirt cheap on clearance at Walmart. Otherwise I can get the NU8000 for about $1200 after EPP discount, cashback, etc, which is a couple hundred less than the Vizio.

On the high end, I would get the Sony X900F. But for nearly twice the cost of the NU8000, it's hard to consider knowing I probably won't be happy until I get an OLED anyway.

The other option would be to wait a little longer for the 2019 Vizio lineup...but they're still Vizio's, and by that time all the cheap 2018s will probably be gone.

Fine print per the OP:
1. Budget: Around $1000-2000
2. Seating distance: 10-11 feet
3. Size/placement limitations: None
4. Uses and sources: Netflix, Gaming (Xbox One X), OTA TV
5. Room lighting: Dark (basement)
Not that anyone probably cares, but I ended up buying the 75" TCL R615 for $1300 today. Couldn't bring myself to buy the NU8000 which would have been a downgrade in some ways, and I didn't want another Vizio. And while the x900f is no doubt a better TV, it's hard to justify $1000 better - and that's $1000 I can put towards the OLED in a year or two.
PlanetAVS likes this.
Detonation is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14254 of 15165 Old 04-26-2019, 10:36 AM
Member
 
pandaconda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
Is there a reason why? I find it very hard to believe that I am the only person in the world that wants a center stand. I see no advantage of moving away from it. Center stands are better as it helps TVs stand on smaller furniture.
Well it's cheaper, for one. But with higher end Sony and Samsungs doing it too, the explanation may go back to "they don't care about anything under 55". Personally I find that weird too, as it seems like there are a decent number of people wanting high quality in small spaces, but I'm sure they must have market data showing otherwise.
pandaconda is offline  
post #14255 of 15165 Old 04-26-2019, 10:48 AM
Member
 
pandaconda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detonation View Post
Not that anyone probably cares, but I ended up buying the 75" TCL R615 for $1300 today. Couldn't bring myself to buy the NU8000 which would have been a downgrade in some ways, and I didn't want another Vizio. And while the x900f is no doubt a better TV, it's hard to justify $1000 better - and that's $1000 I can put towards the OLED in a year or two.
Yep, I'm right there with you. With the 75R615 at $1800 vs ~$2250 for the X900F on Greentoe I thought the Sony was worth it, when the R615 dropped to $1500 I was like wait a minute.... then at $1300, can't not do it.
Detonation likes this.
pandaconda is offline  
post #14256 of 15165 Old 04-26-2019, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MrHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
A lot of people prefer the older center based stands and most would agree that aesthetically they look better. And the furniture aspect is definitely true. The wider based stands that are the current trend are to accommodate placement of a soundbar underneath the TV. My guess is that it is also due to the increasing screen size of current TVs, and the wider placement of the legs adds stability.

Kind of silly to buy a soundbar when you can get a nice 5.1 speaker system instead. But whatever floats people's boat, I guess.

Last edited by MrHT; 04-26-2019 at 11:37 AM.
MrHT is offline  
post #14257 of 15165 Old 04-26-2019, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MrHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaconda View Post
As to the center-stand issue, something like this clears that up pretty easily I would think. These all have VESA mounts.

https://smile.amazon.com/Universal-T...-1-spons&psc=1

The only reason I made the distinction of stand width in my choice is the TCL and Vizio are within like $50, if you're talking $250 vs $550 then an add-on stand like that (or dozens of others on Amazon) starts to sound really great...

Yes that's what I would have to buy since non-centered stands will not work on my current furniture as it is not wide enough. But that would mean I'd have to order the stand first, wait a week for it to arrive and then buy the TV afterwards. I was hoping to buy a TV tomorrow and if I got the Sony, I can buy it now and set it up right away. But I guess since the Sony is not a good bang for the buck, then I would have to concentrate on finding a universal stand first and then buy the TV again next month or so.
MrHT is offline  
post #14258 of 15165 Old 04-26-2019, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 666
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
Kind of silly to buy a soundbar when you can get a nice 5.1 speaker system instead. But whatever floats people's boat, I guess.
Lots of reasons why a soundbar can make sense over a nice 5.1 system. Small room, wires, initial cost, simplicity of setup, did I mention wires, space, did I mention cables.

That's why we have choices.
kateyes and PlanetAVS like this.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
Cheddarhead is offline  
post #14259 of 15165 Old 04-26-2019, 01:20 PM
Member
 
OldPannyMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 31
80"+ only

Definitely want to go bigger, we have a 65" Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 plasma which we really love but want to go to 80+, preferably 85. Have been trying to do my research and due diligence but I am overwhelmed with OLED, QLED, LCD etc. The picture on the panny is awesome in our opinion, so with that in mind would like some recommendations based on the following:


Budget: 4-5K
Seating Distance: 10ft
Uses: DVD, OTA, Hulu, Netflix, Sports
Room Lighting: Well Lit, but have blinds that can darken the room some.



Thank you for any recommendations.
OldPannyMan is offline  
post #14260 of 15165 Old 04-26-2019, 01:41 PM
Member
 
Detonation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPannyMan View Post
Definitely want to go bigger, we have a 65" Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 plasma which we really love but want to go to 80+, preferably 85. Have been trying to do my research and due diligence but I am overwhelmed with OLED, QLED, LCD etc. The picture on the panny is awesome in our opinion, so with that in mind would like some recommendations based on the following:


Budget: 4-5K
Seating Distance: 10ft
Uses: DVD, OTA, Hulu, Netflix, Sports
Room Lighting: Well Lit, but have blinds that can darken the room some.



Thank you for any recommendations.
Since you're a plasma owner, I'd normally say go OLED, but OLED's realistically top out at 77" (unless you want to drop $20k+). Otherwise I'd recommend taking a look at the 85" Sony x900f (2018) or x950g (2019).
Detonation is offline  
post #14261 of 15165 Old 04-26-2019, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,399
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2168 Post(s)
Liked: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
Kind of silly to buy a soundbar when you can get a nice 5.1 speaker system instead. But whatever floats people's boat, I guess.
Some people have space restrictions that preclude a full AVR system with speakers. I would think you would be able to relate to that

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
PlanetAVS is offline  
post #14262 of 15165 Old 04-26-2019, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MrHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Some people have space restrictions that preclude a full AVR system with speakers. I would think you would be able to relate to that

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Well considering that people here are suggesting that I go bigger than 43" for a TV size, then I didn't think people here had space restrictions.


Speakers come in all shapes and sizes so you can buy a set of whatever size speakers fits your space.
MrHT is offline  
post #14263 of 15165 Old 04-26-2019, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,399
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2168 Post(s)
Liked: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
Well considering that people here are suggesting that I go bigger than 43" for a TV size, then I didn't think people here had space restrictions.


Speakers come in all shapes and sizes so you can buy a set of whatever size speakers fits your space.
I believe I asked you if 43 was your max?

In any case, good luck with your TV choice. The 43 inch TCL's legs are 27.3" apart....fyi in case that fits on your furniture

https://www.tclusa.com/products/home...mart-tv-43s517
PlanetAVS is offline  
post #14264 of 15165 Old 04-26-2019, 04:58 PM
Member
 
OldPannyMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detonation View Post
Since you're a plasma owner, I'd normally say go OLED, but OLED's realistically top out at 77" (unless you want to drop $20k+). Otherwise I'd recommend taking a look at the 85" Sony x900f (2018) or x950g (2019).

Definitely the models I was leaning towards. Now a big question, will I really see a distinct difference between the 900 vs 950 or save $500 and get the 900. I went to local BB and they had an 85" 900 but not the 950, but they had 75" 900 and 950 next to each other and I could not really see a difference in PQ unless the sales guy stopped the picture numerous times to point out the differences. So I don't mind spending the extra $500 if I am actually getting more for my money and/or I'm future proofing but not sure enough about either without some input from forum members. And one other thing, the salesman was showing me how in order to see the best picture possible I would need $450+ hdmi cables from and to everything I hook up to the TV. $450+ I almost sh*t right there in the store. Is this really true or was this just a salesman trying to screw me a little?

Again thank you for any replies.
OldPannyMan is offline  
post #14265 of 15165 Old 04-26-2019, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MrHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
I believe I asked you if 43 was your max?

In any case, good luck with your TV choice. The 43 inch TCL's legs are 27.3" apart....fyi in case that fits on your furniture

https://www.tclusa.com/products/home...mart-tv-43s517

My furniture is only 23.5" wide, so the TCL won't work with the legs. I would either have to buy new furniture or a universal stand and obviously, a universal stand is significantly cheaper and easier to get than furniture.
MrHT is offline  
post #14266 of 15165 Old 04-26-2019, 07:05 PM
Member
 
Detonation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPannyMan View Post
Definitely the models I was leaning towards. Now a big question, will I really see a distinct difference between the 900 vs 950 or save $500 and get the 900. I went to local BB and they had an 85" 900 but not the 950, but they had 75" 900 and 950 next to each other and I could not really see a difference in PQ unless the sales guy stopped the picture numerous times to point out the differences. So I don't mind spending the extra $500 if I am actually getting more for my money and/or I'm future proofing but not sure enough about either without some input from forum members. And one other thing, the salesman was showing me how in order to see the best picture possible I would need $450+ hdmi cables from and to everything I hook up to the TV. $450+ I almost sh*t right there in the store. Is this really true or was this just a salesman trying to screw me a little?

Again thank you for any replies.
I own neither of the Sony's, but my understanding is that the 950 is a slight upgrade in brightness, viewing angles, and processing, but at the cost of contrast. I compared these when shopping for a 75" and would have went with the 900, but the price difference at 75" was also over $1000.

Regarding the cabling, that's pure Best Buy upselling. Any $10-20 high quality HDMI cable from Amazon will handle 4k signal just fine (until HDMI 2.1 comes out at least, which neither of these TVs support). But yea, don't buy cables or accessories from Best Buy.
Detonation is offline  
post #14267 of 15165 Old 04-26-2019, 09:27 PM
Member
 
OldPannyMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detonation View Post
I own neither of the Sony's, but my understanding is that the 950 is a slight upgrade in brightness, viewing angles, and processing, but at the cost of contrast. I compared these when shopping for a 75" and would have went with the 900, but the price difference at 75" was also over $1000.

Regarding the cabling, that's pure Best Buy upselling. Any $10-20 high quality HDMI cable from Amazon will handle 4k signal just fine (until HDMI 2.1 comes out at least, which neither of these TVs support). But yea, don't buy cables or accessories from Best Buy.

Thank you for the reply. I figured it was BB doing there BS but wanted to make sure. So for $500 might be good to just go with the 950 unless I find a really good deal on the 900.
OldPannyMan is offline  
post #14268 of 15165 Old 04-28-2019, 08:03 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Can you help me choose which 4k TV?


Samsung NU8000 55"- I have the NU8000 49" I like it and all but I want a larger screen with the 55" plus it has 120hz panel.

Vizio P 55"- It got good reviews when it came out but the price tag wasnt worth it but not the price dropped to $600. Is it worth getting at this price?

So right now I am thinking between the Samsung and the Vizio. NO I cant afford the Sony 49" x900F out of my price range else I would have gotten that tv. The Sony Tvs from 2016 and 2017 the 800e and 750F which suck compared to the Vizip and Samsung are going for a higher price then the 2018 model. That's rediculous. Sony is a bully with thier prices. Any one help?

TCL 6 series R617 55"- I know about the panel lottery and I dont know of I want to go through it.
Scottt1174 is offline  
post #14269 of 15165 Old 04-28-2019, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,399
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2168 Post(s)
Liked: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottt1174 View Post
Can you help me choose which 4k TV?


Samsung NU8000 55"- I have the NU8000 49" I like it and all but I want a larger screen with the 55" plus it has 120hz panel.

Vizio P 55"- It got good reviews when it came out but the price tag wasnt worth it but not the price dropped to $600. Is it worth getting at this price?

So right now I am thinking between the Samsung and the Vizio. NO I cant afford the Sony 49" x900F out of my price range else I would have gotten that tv. The Sony Tvs from 2016 and 2017 the 800e and 750F which suck compared to the Vizip and Samsung are going for a higher price then the 2018 model. That's rediculous. Sony is a bully with thier prices. Any one help?

TCL 6 series R617 55"- I know about the panel lottery and I dont know of I want to go through it.
The Vizio P will have the advantage of local dimming, Dolby Vision support. The Samsung will be better for upscaling HD content and will have some gaming advantages. You haven't mentioned your use cases so its difficult to judge what is better for you. Rtngs has the Vizio rated better overall.
PlanetAVS is offline  
post #14270 of 15165 Old 04-28-2019, 12:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottt1174 View Post
Can you help me choose which 4k TV?


Samsung NU8000 55"- I have the NU8000 49" I like it and all but I want a larger screen with the 55" plus it has 120hz panel.

Vizio P 55"- It got good reviews when it came out but the price tag wasnt worth it but not the price dropped to $600. Is it worth getting at this price?

So right now I am thinking between the Samsung and the Vizio. NO I cant afford the Sony 49" x900F out of my price range else I would have gotten that tv. The Sony Tvs from 2016 and 2017 the 800e and 750F which suck compared to the Vizip and Samsung are going for a higher price then the 2018 model. That's rediculous. Sony is a bully with thier prices. Any one help?

TCL 6 series R617 55"- I know about the panel lottery and I dont know of I want to go through it.
The Vizio P will have the advantage of local dimming, Dolby Vision support. The Samsung will be better for upscaling HD content and will have some gaming advantages. You haven't mentioned your use cases so its difficult to judge what is better for you. Rtngs has the Vizio rated better overall.

Oh sorry. I would say 50% watching HD Blu ray movies as I dont have a xbox or 4k player yet. I use my Ps4 slim for my HD bluRay's. .I guess the rest of the time is watching built in Apps Netflix, Amazon etc and 30% gaming on PS4. I know the Samsung has good input lag. I think Rtings said Vizio isnt bad for gaming. I dont think any Tv really today are bad for gaming. They pretty much all have a pretty good or responsible input lag. So I am stuck choosing. Should I go with the Vizio? FALD or upgrade my Samsung 49 inch to 55. I am kinda torn cause I like the Samsung but the Vizio is nice to lol
Scottt1174 is offline  
post #14271 of 15165 Old 04-28-2019, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,399
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2168 Post(s)
Liked: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottt1174 View Post
Oh sorry. I would say 50% watching HD Blu ray movies as I dont have a xbox or 4k player yet. I use my Ps4 slim for my HD bluRay's. .I guess the rest of the time is watching built in Apps Netflix, Amazon etc and 30% gaming on PS4. I know the Samsung has good input lag. I think Rtings said Vizio isnt bad for gaming. I dont think any Tv really today are bad for gaming. They pretty much all have a pretty good or responsible input lag. So I am stuck choosing. Should I go with the Vizio? FALD or upgrade my Samsung 49 inch to 55. I am kinda torn cause I like the Samsung but the Vizio is nice to lol
Samsung has some additional gaming features such as variable refresh rate, freesync, auto game mode but if all you care about is input lag, either TV is fine. You'll likely start watching 4K content through the internal Netflix app (if you have the UHD plan), and Amazon Prime. I'd suggest the Vizio, especially if you are going to be keeping your 49" NU8000.
PlanetAVS is offline  
post #14272 of 15165 Old 04-28-2019, 01:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottt1174 View Post
Oh sorry. I would say 50% watching HD Blu ray movies as I dont have a xbox or 4k player yet. I use my Ps4 slim for my HD bluRay's. .I guess the rest of the time is watching built in Apps Netflix, Amazon etc and 30% gaming on PS4. I know the Samsung has good input lag. I think Rtings said Vizio isnt bad for gaming. I dont think any Tv really today are bad for gaming. They pretty much all have a pretty good or responsible input lag. So I am stuck choosing. Should I go with the Vizio? FALD or upgrade my Samsung 49 inch to 55. I am kinda torn cause I like the Samsung but the Vizio is nice to lol
Samsung has some additional gaming features such as variable refresh rate, freesync, auto game mode but if all you care about is input lag, either TV is fine. You'll likely start watching 4K content through the internal Netflix app (if you have the UHD plan), and Amazon Prime. I'd suggest the Vizio, especially if you are going to be keeping your 49" NU8000.
Thanks no Iwill be returning the NU8000. Yeah I already have Netflix 4k plan and planning to buy The Xbox one X. So thanks yeah I think I may go with the Vizio P. Thanks for your input. May I ask what you have?
Scottt1174 is offline  
post #14273 of 15165 Old 04-28-2019, 10:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,399
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2168 Post(s)
Liked: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottt1174 View Post
Thanks no Iwill be returning the NU8000. Yeah I already have Netflix 4k plan and planning to buy The Xbox one X. So thanks yeah I think I may go with the Vizio P. Thanks for your input. May I ask what you have?
I have the Sony 900F
PlanetAVS is offline  
post #14274 of 15165 Old 04-28-2019, 10:55 PM
Member
 
Detonation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Well the hunt is finally over. Was returning my 75" TCL at Best Buy because I lost the panel lottery, and they had an open box 75" Q8FN they just marked down on clearance for a whopping $1240. Normally not an open box/display buyer, but there's no way I could pass it up at that price up. Came with everything but the box and it looks brand new.
PlanetAVS likes this.
Detonation is offline  
post #14275 of 15165 Old 05-01-2019, 08:19 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
After a lot of research, ordered 65Q8FN. Arrived Friday. Do users recommend using the settings Rtings.com uses?
MarathonTim is offline  
post #14276 of 15165 Old 05-01-2019, 09:25 AM
Newbie
 
Liondeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I can get a good deal on a Samsung 55' KS8500. Is it still worth it to buy? My main concern is it doesn't seem that HDR10+ will be added and then does the current firmware support HDR10?
Liondeon is offline  
post #14277 of 15165 Old 05-01-2019, 10:11 AM
Newbie
 
720GTI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm ready to replace my 2005 Sony KDFE42A10 which has been solid and only has required one lamp replacement in almost 15 years. I was thinking about the TCL 6 series but hesitant about panel lottery and long-term reliability (I don't buy TVs often): I've come down to 3 choices from Sony: a 2018 70" XBR70X830F for $1100, a 2019 65" XBR65X850G/C (w/Costco 2 year warranty) for $1370 or 2018 65" XBR65900F for $1500.

I have seen at one authorized seller's website that the XBR70X830F will receive "Future Update for Dolby Vision Support". I've seen the Sony firmware update but it doesn't specifically state this and some websites state that DV support is only on the "non-basic" versions of the X1 processor (even though the 2019 X850G has DV support and is the basic X1 processor). Can anyone verify if the X830F has DV support?
720GTI is online now  
post #14278 of 15165 Old 05-01-2019, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,399
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2168 Post(s)
Liked: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarathonTim View Post
After a lot of research, ordered 65Q8FN. Arrived Friday. Do users recommend using the settings Rtings.com uses?
Better to check the Q8FN owners thread for suggestions
PlanetAVS is offline  
post #14279 of 15165 Old 05-01-2019, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,399
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2168 Post(s)
Liked: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liondeon View Post
I can get a good deal on a Samsung 55' KS8500. Is it still worth it to buy? My main concern is it doesn't seem that HDR10+ will be added and then does the current firmware support HDR10?
Depends on price, its a 3 year old TV but received excellent reviews. Rtngs reports that it supports HDR10
PlanetAVS is offline  
post #14280 of 15165 Old 05-02-2019, 12:37 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a spare bedroom upstairs that I want to make into a media room. The primary goal is to be able to watch 4 screens at once in the highest possible picture quality. I had 2 home theater companies give me quotes/suggestions. The first one recommended an 85" Sony X950G with a video scaler. The second one recommended a Sony projector (VPL-VW295ES). These are equal in price, so I'm torn on which route to take, pros/cons, etc. I have no previous experience with projectors. I'm not set on only these 2 as options. I'm open to other options as well.

1. Budget: Total for TV, setup, surround sound, and equipment ~$15,000
2. Seating distance: 10-11 feet
3. Size/placement limitations: ~100"
4. Uses and sources: 2 DirecTV boxes, 2 AppleTV boxes, mostly sports, netflix, movies
5. Room lighting: currently has 1 window and some light. plan on buying blackout curtains/shades to get it as dark as possible
cardsharkchemist is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Cables Interconnects , Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Sony , Toshiba

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off