the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 478 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 744Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #14311 of 14845 Old 05-06-2019, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
bnewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Shepherdsville, Ky USA
Posts: 882
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 15
is the lack of contrast noticeable on the Q90 due to wider viewing angles?

Remembering Dad's passing 01/16/2017


May God Guide and Guard the USA!
bnewt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14312 of 14845 Old 05-06-2019, 12:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 464
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dangerous View Post
I am looking to upgrade from my current XBR65x850C to either a 75" or a 85". My couch is about about 12-13 feet from where the TV will be.
Looking at these
1. XBR75x900F
2. XBR85x900F
3. XBR75x950G

Not sure if it is worth getting the new model(75x950G) or going a size up (85x900F) or save money and go 75x900F.

Torn b/w 75 and 85 size choice as well. Not sure is 85 is an overkill for my living room. Posting pics of exiting setup, mock up of how a 75 will look and how a 85 will look in the room.
Appreciate any suggestions.
IMO, the 85 looks GREAT in your room.
gocubs418 is offline  
post #14313 of 14845 Old 05-06-2019, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VA_DaveB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,447
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnewt View Post
is the lack of contrast noticeable on the Q90 due to wider viewing angles?
It has close to double the native contrast of the Z9F and with local dimming on Rtings measured 11,200:1 which is over 3 times the measurement for the Z9F. And Samsung doesn't allow you to turn it off so you'll never see the native ratio anyway. You'd never notice anything in the daytime or with the lights on. In a totally black theater room sitting right next to an OLED you would notice it.
gocubs418 and Panson like this.
VA_DaveB is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14314 of 14845 Old 05-07-2019, 08:14 AM
Newbie
 
namaharg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Waynesboro, VA
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need help choosing new Display

Hello all!

I am in the market to buy a new tv. I'm upgrading from a Panasonic TH-42PX80U plasma, and and looking for something that gives me the best picture quality/dolby vision quality for the money. My wife gave me a budget of $600, so I'd like to keep it around that. I know the TCL 6 series is highly regarded, as well as Vizio M & P series. Should I wait for the 2019 Vizio lineup? Are there others I should look at? I'd prefer 55'' if possible. Thanks!
namaharg is offline  
post #14315 of 14845 Old 05-07-2019, 09:48 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Update:

So I have the x900F up on my wall and I fired it up for the first time last night. My initial impressions are good. Upscaling looks to be good, blacks are deep, and the display is bright.

One of the big problems however is that the wall of windows behind my couch are reflecting pretty badly on the screen. Also, when watching SD programming over my cable set top box, I get a noticeable "pixelation" when scenes change. It's a bit hard to describe, but for a brief second as the camera angle changes or pans its almost as if the resolution get's blocky. Not sure if the TV or my source feed, but some feedback would be appreciated.

I'm still within my 30 day return window, so I'm wondering if I should give the Samsung Q80 or Q8 a shot due to their excellent anti reflection capabilities.

Any thoughts?
mcervinojr is offline  
post #14316 of 14845 Old 05-07-2019, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,125
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by namaharg View Post
Hello all!

I am in the market to buy a new tv. I'm upgrading from a Panasonic TH-42PX80U plasma, and and looking for something that gives me the best picture quality/dolby vision quality for the money. My wife gave me a budget of $600, so I'd like to keep it around that. I know the TCL 6 series is highly regarded, as well as Vizio M & P series. Should I wait for the 2019 Vizio lineup? Are there others I should look at? I'd prefer 55'' if possible. Thanks!
TCL R617 55" Class HDR 4K UHD - $529.99 (saving of $370) pre-order sale at B&H Photo. May be cheaper elsewhere.

Review:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tc...ries-r617-2018

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
Panson is offline  
post #14317 of 14845 Old 05-07-2019, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,125
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcervinojr View Post
Update:

So I have the x900F up on my wall and I fired it up for the first time last night. My initial impressions are good. Upscaling looks to be good, blacks are deep, and the display is bright.

One of the big problems however is that the wall of windows behind my couch are reflecting pretty badly on the screen. Also, when watching SD programming over my cable set top box, I get a noticeable "pixelation" when scenes change. It's a bit hard to describe, but for a brief second as the camera angle changes or pans its almost as if the resolution get's blocky. Not sure if the TV or my source feed, but some feedback would be appreciated.

I'm still within my 30 day return window, so I'm wondering if I should give the Samsung Q80 or Q8 a shot due to their excellent anti reflection capabilities.

Any thoughts?
Cover windows. Reboot STB, modem, router.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
Panson is offline  
post #14318 of 14845 Old 05-07-2019, 10:54 AM
Newbie
 
namaharg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Waynesboro, VA
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks! That looks perfect. What is the difference between the 2018 and 2019 6 series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
TCL R617 55" Class HDR 4K UHD - $529.99 (saving of $370) pre-order sale at B&H Photo. May be cheaper elsewhere.

Review:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tc...ries-r617-2018
namaharg is offline  
post #14319 of 14845 Old 05-07-2019, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,125
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by namaharg View Post
Thanks! That looks perfect. What is the difference between the 2018 and 2019 6 series?
All should soon be revealed.
namaharg likes this.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
Panson is offline  
post #14320 of 14845 Old 05-07-2019, 04:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but do you guys think 2020 4k TVs from Samsung will have HDMI 2.1? I kind of want to upgrade now from my KS8000 since PC mode has too much input lag for online gameplay and game mode doesn't look very good for PC games. There are currently sets such as the Q6-8 FN that don't have much input lag, but I know I'd regret upgrading if HDMI 2.1 is around the corner. It'd be nice to finally be able to have HDR in PC mode 4:4:4.
KuffarisMaximus is offline  
post #14321 of 14845 Old 05-07-2019, 04:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 16
hey everybody, I didn't really want to start a new thread, but I seriously have to ask "is that hard to find a really good 43" tv?" I have been eyeing the Sony XBR800F, but it gets not the greatest reviews all over the place. I got the Vizio 2018 E series and I've had problems with every single one of them, including a dead pixel on the last one. The XBR800G can use autocal as well. I was wondering if maybe this could offset the grey-black at all. Anyways, is it really that hard to find a really good 43" tv? I have size limitations, so 43" is really about the largest I could go.
toby5 is offline  
post #14322 of 14845 Old 05-07-2019, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VA_DaveB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,447
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby5 View Post
Anyways, is it really that hard to find a really good 43" tv? I have size limitations, so 43" is really about the largest I could go.
Yes, because there aren't any really good 43" TVs. They are all 60 Hz panels, none have local dimming. Some have VA panels, some are IPS, there are no OLEDs in that size. Reviews for larger versions of models with 43" will not be applicable as the panel type may change as well as the native refresh rate and some features may be eliminated. Samsung has a few of the better VA panel 43" TVs including the Q60R, NU7100, RU7100 and NU6900. The 43" TCLs and Vizios are iffy IMO. The 43" Sony 800F/G have IPS panels so grayish blacks and better viewing angles.
VA_DaveB is online now  
post #14323 of 14845 Old 05-07-2019, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CruelInventions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 6,587
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1231 Post(s)
Liked: 1439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
All should soon be revealed.
Don't toy with us by being coy you little panel tease. Give it up.
Panson likes this.
CruelInventions is offline  
post #14324 of 14845 Old 05-07-2019, 06:36 PM
Member
 
Limeybastard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Been out of the fold for while..looked at Rtings and Google. What recommendations for a sub $500 TV 50 or 55" ? I'm a Roku user, but if Roku is not inbuilt it doesn't matter . Cheers.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Limeybastard is online now  
post #14325 of 14845 Old 05-08-2019, 06:29 AM
Member
 
pandaconda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by namaharg View Post
Thanks! That looks perfect. What is the difference between the 2018 and 2019 6 series?
I think the 2019 is the 8-series, it should have more backlight zones (better local dimming) but other than that we don't know. But it also won't likely launch at under $600 for the 55".... probably best to go for the 6-series now. Just make sure to evaluate it for panel inconsistency to see if you need to return it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby5 View Post
"is that hard to find a really good 43" tv?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
Yes, because there aren't any really good 43" TVs. They are all 60 Hz panels, none have local dimming. Some have VA panels, some are IPS, there are no OLEDs in that size. Reviews for larger versions of models with 43" will not be applicable as the panel type may change as well as the native refresh rate and some features may be eliminated. Samsung has a few of the better VA panel 43" TVs including the Q60R, NU7100, RU7100 and NU6900. The 43" TCLs and Vizios are iffy IMO. The 43" Sony 800F/G have IPS panels so grayish blacks and better viewing angles.
Technically the 43" Vizio E-series does have local dimming... though only 6 zones barely counts, I suppose . It's currently RTings' top 43" TV. I bought a 43" recently, also due to size limitations, and would have gone with the Vizio E except for a few factors that made me choose the TCL 5-series: it's a bit cheaper, we love the Roku software, it looks nicer when it's off, and the Vizio has a crazy-wide stand that wouldn't work well where we wanted it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limeybastard View Post
Been out of the fold for while..looked at Rtings and Google. What recommendations for a sub $500 TV 50 or 55" ? I'm a Roku user, but if Roku is not inbuilt it doesn't matter . Cheers.
As mentioned above, the TCL 6-series can't be beat in that price range. Just have to check the panel uniformity (either through full-color screens or through "normal" tough scenarios you might encounter like football/hockey games). Google "dirty screen effect" for more on that. But if you get a good panel like I did for my 75" you will be very happy and save a lot of money. Oh and the non-Best-Buy one (55R617) has a better remote for $30 more on Amazon, if you care about voice search and a couple other functions.
Limeybastard likes this.
pandaconda is offline  
post #14326 of 14845 Old 05-08-2019, 08:14 AM
Member
 
Limeybastard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaconda View Post
I think the 2019 is the 8-series, it should have more backlight zones (better local dimming) but other than that we don't know. But it also won't likely launch at under $600 for the 55".... probably best to go for the 6-series now. Just make sure to evaluate it for panel inconsistency to see if you need to return it.











Technically the 43" Vizio E-series does have local dimming... though only 6 zones barely counts, I suppose . It's currently RTings' top 43" TV. I bought a 43" recently, also due to size limitations, and would have gone with the Vizio E except for a few factors that made me choose the TCL 5-series: it's a bit cheaper, we love the Roku software, it looks nicer when it's off, and the Vizio has a crazy-wide stand that wouldn't work well where we wanted it.







As mentioned above, the TCL 6-series can't be beat in that price range. Just have to check the panel uniformity (either through full-color screens or through "normal" tough scenarios you might encounter like football/hockey games). Google "dirty screen effect" for more on that. But if you get a good panel like I did for my 75" you will be very happy and save a lot of money. Oh and the non-Best-Buy one (55R617) has a better remote for $30 more on Amazon, if you care about voice search and a couple other functions.
Thanks , so there are major differences between this $500 tcl and the lower priced tcl for the same given size? I even say a tcl for approx $350 in 55".
I'd like to be able to watch 4k hdr via Netflix and YouTube via roku.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Limeybastard is online now  
post #14327 of 14845 Old 05-08-2019, 08:29 AM
Member
 
pandaconda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limeybastard View Post
Thanks , so there are major differences between this $500 tcl and the lower priced tcl for the same given size? I even say a tcl for approx $350 in 55".
I'd like to be able to watch 4k hdr via Netflix and YouTube via roku.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Yep, the backlighting difference makes them pretty different. I have both the edge-lit 5-series (in 43") and the Full-Array Local Dimming 6-series (in 75").

5-series:
-thinner due to edge lighting
-no real quality control issues associated with many FALD models
-not so great for HDR as it doesn't have blacks as black or brights as bright

6-series:
-much better HDR due to FALD enabling blacker blacks and brighter bright spots
-you do have to worry about panel uniformity (AKA panel lottery)**

**Panel lottery... check for noticeable dark blotches either by watching normal bright content that pans side to side (hockey, football, sky in nature documentary) or by pulling up full-screen-color test patterns on YouTube (some say don't do this, as you likely will see something off, but it may not be bad enough to impact normal viewing at all). If it is too blotchy in normal content, just return it and try again with a different panel.
pandaconda is offline  
post #14328 of 14845 Old 05-08-2019, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,215
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2050 Post(s)
Liked: 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limeybastard View Post
Thanks , so there are major differences between this $500 tcl and the lower priced tcl for the same given size? I even say a tcl for approx $350 in 55".
I'd like to be able to watch 4k hdr via Netflix and YouTube via roku.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Both the TCL 5 series and the 6 series will do 4K HDR Netflix, Youtube. The 6 series is much better for brightness (for HDR), deeper blacks due to local dimming and better for motion. The difference is about $100 for the 55 inch model and is well worth the extra money if you have the budget.

The $350 55 inch that you saw is probably the S series, which is two models lower and does not have Dolby Vision support. But it will still provide 4K HDR of Netflix/Youtube.
Limeybastard likes this.

Last edited by PlanetAVS; 05-08-2019 at 08:35 AM.
PlanetAVS is offline  
post #14329 of 14845 Old 05-08-2019, 08:36 AM
Newbie
 
h00pla85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Need some help

Hello everyone,

Long time lurker but I am in need of some help. I am building a new home and looking to buy a new TV and surround sound for my basement (walkout). I live in Canada. I don't really have a budget but I would like to keep it under $5,000 for both. Windows will have automatic blinds so glare from sunlight shouldn't be much of an issue.

I can run speaker wire overhead or place speakers on the table behind the sofa. Behind the sofa is a bar that is about 18' back from the couch. Ledge below TV is roughly 6-7" deep and 11ft wide so I can place center and L/R speakers unless it would be better to space the L/R farther apart and up?

With the viewing distance I am thinking a 75" is the minimum but I am not sure if I should trade off PQ for a larger size in my case (82-85)?

Mainly Netflix, Shield and a little PS4 use. No cable TV where I will be living.

Coming from a Panasonic Plasma with a 5.1 sound system.

Any input would be appreciated as I know no one with something to compare to and not sure how worth while some of the newer formats like DV and Atmos are
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Andrew BASEMENT.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	2564148  
h00pla85 is offline  
post #14330 of 14845 Old 05-08-2019, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,215
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2050 Post(s)
Liked: 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by h00pla85 View Post
Hello everyone,

Long time lurker but I am in need of some help. I am building a new home and looking to buy a new TV and surround sound for my basement (walkout). I live in Canada. I don't really have a budget but I would like to keep it under $5,000 for both. Windows will have automatic blinds so glare from sunlight shouldn't be much of an issue.

I can run speaker wire overhead or place speakers on the table behind the sofa. Behind the sofa is a bar that is about 18' back from the couch. Ledge below TV is roughly 6-7" deep and 11ft wide so I can place center and L/R speakers unless it would be better to space the L/R farther apart and up?

With the viewing distance I am thinking a 75" is the minimum but I am not sure if I should trade off PQ for a larger size in my case (82-85)?

Mainly Netflix, Shield and a little PS4 use. No cable TV where I will be living.

Coming from a Panasonic Plasma with a 5.1 sound system.

Any input would be appreciated as I know no one with something to compare to and not sure how worth while some of the newer formats like DV and Atmos are

Looks like your viewing distance is approx 15 feet? If so, 82-85 would be better. The Samsung 82 inch Q6FN and Sony 85 inch 850F are available at closeout prices these days (approx 2K USD). DV is worthwhile but with your budget, it would be tough to get in a TV larger than 75". I would sacrifice DV, get a larger TV and use the rest for your surround sound budget.

That would leave approx 2K USD for your AVR/Speakers which is enough for a decent 5.1.2 ATMOS setup. ATMOS is definitely worthwhile and doesn't need to be costly. Spend most of your sound budget on the subwoofer and front speakers.
PlanetAVS is offline  
post #14331 of 14845 Old 05-08-2019, 10:25 AM
Newbie
 
h00pla85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Looks like your viewing distance is approx 15 feet? If so, 82-85 would be better. The Samsung 82 inch Q6FN and Sony 85 inch 850F are available at closeout prices these days (approx 2K USD). DV is worthwhile but with your budget, it would be tough to get in a TV larger than 75". I would sacrifice DV, get a larger TV and use the rest for your surround sound budget.

That would leave approx 2K USD for your AVR/Speakers which is enough for a decent 5.1.2 ATMOS setup. ATMOS is definitely worthwhile and doesn't need to be costly. Spend most of your sound budget on the subwoofer and front speakers.
Yeah I have been watching prices lately but we get screwed here in Canada.

The best deal I have seen is $2999 for a NU8000 82" but that quickly sold out - About 3,300 now if i can find it in-store. RU8000 in stock for $3,600

850F is the same price as 850G and have no luck finding an in-store on sale - selling for $3,999 same as the Q6FN

The massive price jump from 75" to 82/85" is why I was considering going smaller even though it might not be ideal.
h00pla85 is offline  
post #14332 of 14845 Old 05-08-2019, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,215
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2050 Post(s)
Liked: 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by h00pla85 View Post
Yeah I have been watching prices lately but we get screwed here in Canada.

The best deal I have seen is $2999 for a NU8000 82" but that quickly sold out - About 3,300 now if i can find it in-store. RU8000 in stock for $3,600

850F is the same price as 850G and have no luck finding an in-store on sale - selling for $3,999 same as the Q6FN

The massive price jump from 75" to 82/85" is why I was considering going smaller even though it might not be ideal.
Pm'd you with a tip. If you need to step down to a 75, the TCL R617 or the Vizio P75-F1 are your best bets and would free up $ for your sound system
PlanetAVS is offline  
post #14333 of 14845 Old 05-10-2019, 12:28 PM
Member
 
curtiswhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: louisiana
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Help me spend my money on a tv. 75in only

1. seating positions are 10,11,12 feet away
2. play games most of the time and not to picky on picture quality or lag.
3. movie time will be with mostly with vudu uhd, xbox uhd and some blu ray or uhd blue ray when on sale.

i had a 65in mitsubishi rear projection and was vary happy with the picture and fine for games (after calibration) . For a few weeks i had a 75in vizio p series 2018 model and the picture was steller. After sending it back i got a 50in insignia fire tv 4k hdr and again the picture is fine and hdr is fine for my viewing. So i guess i am looking for the best budget bang for the buck 75in tv. I may go as high as $1,500 usd.

This being, that becomes;
On the arising of this, that arises.
This not being, that does not become;
On the cessation of this, that ceases.
curtiswhite is offline  
post #14334 of 14845 Old 05-10-2019, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,125
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtiswhite View Post
Help me spend my money on a tv. 75in only

1. seating positions are 10,11,12 feet away
2. play games most of the time and not to picky on picture quality or lag.
3. movie time will be with mostly with vudu uhd, xbox uhd and some blu ray or uhd blue ray when on sale.

i had a 65in mitsubishi rear projection and was vary happy with the picture and fine for games (after calibration) . For a few weeks i had a 75in vizio p series 2018 model and the picture was steller. After sending it back i got a 50in insignia fire tv 4k hdr and again the picture is fine and hdr is fine for my viewing. So i guess i am looking for the best budget bang for the buck 75in tv. I may go as high as $1,500 usd.
75" TCL - 6 Series, $1599.99, pre-order at B&H Photo. May find cheaper elsewhere.

Product info:

https://www.tclusa.com/products/home-theater/6-series

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
Panson is offline  
post #14335 of 14845 Old 05-10-2019, 02:23 PM
Member
 
curtiswhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: louisiana
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
75" TCL - 6 Series, $1599.99, pre-order at B&H Photo. May find cheaper elsewhere.

Product info:

https://www.tclusa.com/products/home-theater/6-series
i was thinking about that model. best buy has it on sale for $1499 or something like that.. Now because most of my watching will be streaming would it be just as good to go with the tcl 4 series $999, vizio E $1179 or sony x850f $1025.

just wonder about diminishing returns on stepping up to the 6 series.

This being, that becomes;
On the arising of this, that arises.
This not being, that does not become;
On the cessation of this, that ceases.
curtiswhite is offline  
post #14336 of 14845 Old 05-10-2019, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VA_DaveB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,447
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtiswhite View Post
i was thinking about that model. best buy has it on sale for $1499 or something like that.. Now because most of my watching will be streaming would it be just as good to go with the tcl 4 series $999, vizio E $1179 or sony x850f $1025.

just wonder about diminishing returns on stepping up to the 6 series.
The Sony 850F @ $1,025 cannot be a 75", it must be a 65". It is also an IPS panel without any local dimming. The TCL 4 series is very inferior to the 6 series while the FALD on Vizio E is quite a mediocre performer. The 75" Vizio P for $1,550 is something you should to compare with the TCL 6. Both TCL and Vizio TVs have QC and panel lottery issues so be prepared for a possible return.
Panson likes this.
VA_DaveB is online now  
post #14337 of 14845 Old 05-11-2019, 01:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Looking to upgrade from my 55" Samsung KS8000 to a 65". I have had zero issues with my Samsung and was thinking about keeping with them, unless there is better out there for a similar or better price.

Costco has the NU8500 Curved Screen in 65" for $980. I have never looked into a curved screen, but it is a great price. They also have the QN65Q6 for $1399 and the Sony X850G for $1369.

I watch mostly sports, tennis and college athletics mainly. Main source is cable, some streaming. Looking for the best sports viewing tv essentially. Ideally would like to stay under $1500, lower the better if all possible.

Thanks

Last edited by TDHawks; 05-11-2019 at 01:39 PM.
TDHawks is offline  
post #14338 of 14845 Old 05-11-2019, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,125
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDHawks View Post
Looking to upgrade from my 55" Samsung KS8000 to a 65". I have had zero issues with my Samsung and was thinking about keeping with them, unless there is better out there for a similar or better price.

Costco has the NU8500 Curved Screen in 65" for $980. I have never looked into a curved screen, but it is a great price. They also have the QN65Q6 for $1399 and the Sony X850G for $1369.

I watch mostly sports, tennis and college athletics mainly. Main source is cable, some streaming. Looking for the best sports viewing tv essentially. Ideally would like to stay under $1500, lower the better if all possible.

Thanks
The curved screen is now an Edsel, but it's what you think that counts. X850G 65", good for sports, not so for movies.

This rtings link may help--emphasis on sports.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/sports

Considerations for your budget, needs, and if you prefer a better known brand. Under budget (at B&H Photo): Samsung RU8000. Over budget (at B&H Photo): Sony X900F. May find cheaper elsewhere.

Good luck. Have fun.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo

Last edited by Panson; 05-11-2019 at 04:57 PM.
Panson is offline  
post #14339 of 14845 Old 05-12-2019, 12:17 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Looking for another TV, this time for my parents. They are looking to spend under $2000. An LED, no OLED. The seating is front on and the distance is maybe around 8ft. The room can be dark when needed.

They are looking for a 65" 4k HDR TV. My dad watches sports and they both watch regular primetime TV, news, and movies. My dad is big on action movies and my mom watches scifi and stuff like game of thrones. They also use Amazon Video. There will be zero gaming.

They have DirecTV if that matters.
peefles is offline  
post #14340 of 14845 Old 05-12-2019, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VA_DaveB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,447
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by peefles View Post
Looking for another TV, this time for my parents. They are looking to spend under $2000. An LED, no OLED. The seating is front on and the distance is maybe around 8ft. The room can be dark when needed.

They are looking for a 65" 4k HDR TV. My dad watches sports and they both watch regular primetime TV, news, and movies. My dad is big on action movies and my mom watches scifi and stuff like game of thrones. They also use Amazon Video. There will be zero gaming.

They have DirecTV if that matters.
Look at the Sony 900F, Sony X950G, Samsung Q70R and Samsung Q8FN. The 900F and Q8FN are 2018 models while the X950G and Q70R are new for 2019. All are FALD VA panel sets with narrow viewing angles (no problem for them) and deep black levels.
VA_DaveB is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Cables Interconnects , Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Sony , Toshiba

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off