the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 486 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 718Likes

post #14551 of 14664 Old 07-11-2019, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
If I were in the market for a +80 screen, I'd go with the Sony 85 inch 850G as well. Do a google search and you'll find your price

There's also some all time low prices on the 85 inch 900F if you bump up your budget a bit, which will get your full array local dimming.
Yeah ive found it on newegg flash but theyre not a authorized seller so that concerns me. Anyone have experience with them?

Just saw that it is on greentoe now!!

Last edited by dlesh04; 07-11-2019 at 09:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14552 of 14664 Old 07-11-2019, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1885 Post(s)
Liked: 1542
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlesh04 View Post
Yeah ive found it on newegg flash but theyre not a authorized seller so that concerns me. Anyone have experience with them?

Just saw that it is on greentoe now!!

Sorry didn't notice that it was with a marketplace seller on Newegg, don't know if they are reliable or not. It's not that much of a discount from MSRP so you should be able to match or beat it with Greentoe or one of the AVS Forum sponsors.
post #14553 of 14664 Old 07-11-2019, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Sorry didn't notice that it was with a marketplace seller on Newegg, don't know if they are reliable or not. It's not that much of a discount from MSRP so you should be able to match or beat it with Greentoe or one of the AVS Forum sponsors.
I'll look into both. Whats the best way to contact AVS sponsors. Thank you for all the information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14554 of 14664 Old 07-11-2019, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlesh04 View Post
I'll look into both. Whats the best way to contact AVS sponsors. Thank you for all the information
They have ad banners at the bottom of every AVS page. Cleveland AV is the only one I see at the moment.
post #14555 of 14664 Old 07-11-2019, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I’ve been super happy with my LG OLED65B7A, but some sections have begun to brown, and there’s a little burn-in. Retailer warranty repair was going to replace the panel, but instead determined to let me get a new TV whose cost is up to the Nov 2017 price of the old one (about $2200).

If I upgrade from a 65” set, I’ll need to get a new piece of furniture up there, but I’m willing to do that. The seating arrangement in the room would support a larger set.

I’ve been recommended the Samsung QLED as a bulwark against future burn-in. The TV’s optimal purpose is 4K Blu-ray and streaming, and I loved the OLED blacks, the HDR whites — really the whole package of the LG TV. But it’s also heavily used as a gaming TV by my kids, which I feel like exposes it to the risk of burn-in and maybe even brown-out again.

If I was getting cash back I would probably get a TCL, on the expectation that the TV was going to fail in one way or another in a few years and so I’d only spend $800 and be content with an excellent $800 experience.

But that’s not how it’s going to work — I need to spend $2200 on a TV at Best Buy. I’m not sure what my best move is in that regime. Should I step down from OLED if I can’t zero out burn-in risk? Are the non-OLED LGs any good? (Like, the 86” LG UM8070PUA is about the right trade-in price.) I realize I’m throwing out a weird condition — what’s the smartest purchase I can make at Best Buy for about $2200, where the TV could be 65” or larger, or OLED or not, or etc. etc., but I’m curious as to what people would recommend.
post #14556 of 14664 Old 07-11-2019, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanw View Post
I’ve been super happy with my LG OLED65B7A, but some sections have begun to brown, and there’s a little burn-in. Retailer warranty repair was going to replace the panel, but instead determined to let me get a new TV whose cost is up to the Nov 2017 price of the old one (about $2200).

If I upgrade from a 65” set, I’ll need to get a new piece of furniture up there, but I’m willing to do that. The seating arrangement in the room would support a larger set.

I’ve been recommended the Samsung QLED as a bulwark against future burn-in. The TV’s optimal purpose is 4K Blu-ray and streaming, and I loved the OLED blacks, the HDR whites — really the whole package of the LG TV. But it’s also heavily used as a gaming TV by my kids, which I feel like exposes it to the risk of burn-in and maybe even brown-out again.

If I was getting cash back I would probably get a TCL, on the expectation that the TV was going to fail in one way or another in a few years and so I’d only spend $800 and be content with an excellent $800 experience.

But that’s not how it’s going to work — I need to spend $2200 on a TV at Best Buy. I’m not sure what my best move is in that regime. Should I step down from OLED if I can’t zero out burn-in risk? Are the non-OLED LGs any good? (Like, the 86” LG UM8070PUA is about the right trade-in price.) I realize I’m throwing out a weird condition — what’s the smartest purchase I can make at Best Buy for about $2200, where the TV could be 65” or larger, or OLED or not, or etc. etc., but I’m curious as to what people would recommend.
No option to get the 75 inch TCL 6 series plus store credit? What's your viewing distance going to be?
post #14557 of 14664 Old 07-11-2019, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:

The 65" Samsung Q80R is right about at your price point. It is brighter than your OLED with FALD for good HDR, has VRR support for gaming, and has wide ultra viewing angle similar to your OLED. That 86" LG is an IPS panel with no local dimming, quite a PQ drop from an OLED.
post #14558 of 14664 Old 07-12-2019, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
No option to get the 75 inch TCL 6 series plus store credit? What's your viewing distance going to be?
It’s about 9 ft. (although I am encountering internal resistance at the idea of taking down the entertainment center).

The deal is, straight-up trade, and the only thing I could put any surplus dollars toward would be Geek Squad protection. And the trade can’t be done in-store or any clearance/open-box — the selected replacement will be loaded into a Geek Squad van from the warehouse.

Good to hear some appreciation for the Samsung option. What are the PQ differences compared to the comparable current-model LG OLED?
post #14559 of 14664 Old 07-12-2019, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Good to hear some appreciation for the Samsung option. What are the PQ differences compared to the comparable current-model LG OLED?
Of course even the 2017 B7 OLED has better black levels while the Samsung Q80R QLED/LCD has much brighter peak highlights. So in a totally dark room, the OLED is better, in a brighter room it's closer to a push with HDR peak highlights more prominent on the Q80R. The FALD on the Q80R works pretty well so it has good HDR and is superior for gaming due to VRR. Another plus is that is has wide viewing angles that are pretty comparable to the OLED. Both have decent motion control for gaming and sports while the Samsung has somewhat lower input lag. You should go look at it in the store for yourself and see what you think. But remember, if you do a comparison, the newer OLEDs in the store are brighter than your older B7.
post #14560 of 14664 Old 07-12-2019, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It’s about 9 ft. (although I am encountering internal resistance at the idea of taking down the entertainment center).

The deal is, straight-up trade, and the only thing I could put any surplus dollars toward would be Geek Squad protection. And the trade can’t be done in-store or any clearance/open-box — the selected replacement will be loaded into a Geek Squad van from the warehouse.

At 9 feet viewing distance you could go either way with 65 inches or 75 inches. Based on today's Best Buy pricing on their site, I agree that the 65 inch Samsung Q80 would be a good fit. Deep blacks, excellent for gaming. At 75 inches, I would suggest the Vizio P759-G1, which has similar strengths. The Vizio will have the advantage of the larger screen size and Dolby Vision support. The Samsung will have some advanced gaming features, wider viewing angles, better 720P upscaling and a smoother operating system. The Vizio would also have a higher chance of shipping a lemon for screen uniformity which might necessitate an exchange.
post #14561 of 14664 Old 07-13-2019, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
At 9 feet viewing distance you could go either way with 65 inches or 75 inches. Based on today's Best Buy pricing on their site, I agree that the 65 inch Samsung Q80 would be a good fit. Deep blacks, excellent for gaming. At 75 inches, I would suggest the Vizio P759-G1, which has similar strengths. The Vizio will have the advantage of the larger screen size and Dolby Vision support. The Samsung will have some advanced gaming features, wider viewing angles, better 720P upscaling and a smoother operating system. The Vizio would also have a higher chance of shipping a lemon for screen uniformity which might necessitate an exchange.
I'd go with the 75" Vizio - if the TV doesn't have any major defects it'll be really high quality at a large size.
post #14562 of 14664 Old 07-13-2019, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Help me choose

Which would you choose for the following:

Sony Z9F (open box with 5 year warranty)
Sony 950G (new)
Vizio Quantum X (new)
Vizio Quantum P (new)
Samsung Q8F (open box with 5 year warranty)

Pricing is very similar so I'd take that out of the equation. Looking at a 65". TV will be placed in a corner so some angled viewing but probably not too extreme. It's a living room setup and not our dedicated theater area so there are several windows, mixed lighting, etc... Viewing will be day and night(typically some lights on). Input will be Google Fiber Tv, Netflix(thinking about upgrading to the higher def) and Apple 4k TV. Eventually there might some gaming on it. I have tower speakers, a dedicated center channel and ceiling speakers for the rear so sound quality isn't that important.

My thoughts, the Z9F is amazing deal and I like the idea of the 5 year warranty. I'm a bit scared off by the reviews regarding the black levels but how bad can Sony Master series tv be?
post #14563 of 14664 Old 07-14-2019, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuuke View Post

Sony 950G (new)
Vizio Quantum X (new)
Vizio Quantum P (new)

Pricing is very similar so I'd take that out of the equation. Looking at a 65". TV will be placed in a corner so some angled viewing but probably not too extreme. It's a living room setup and not our dedicated theater area so there are several windows, mixed lighting, etc... Viewing will be day and night(typically some lights on). Input will be Google Fiber Tv, Netflix(thinking about upgrading to the higher def) and Apple 4k TV. Eventually there might some gaming on it. I have tower speakers, a dedicated center channel and ceiling speakers for the rear so sound quality isn't that important.

My thoughts, the Z9F is amazing deal and I like the idea of the 5 year warranty. I'm a bit scared off by the reviews regarding the black levels but how bad can Sony Master series tv be?
If you can use the wider viewing angle, in your bright room use case the Z9F is a good choice.

If not, the Sony X950G would be next on my list since the wide viewing angle starts at 75" for that model so it has deeper blacks. The Samsung Q8FN is a 2018 model that is not as bright with less accurate colors, but does support VRR for gaming and has a better anti-reflective coating.

I personally am not a fan of Vizio due to banding and upscaling issues along with some QC problems, but others will certainly disagree.
post #14564 of 14664 Old 07-14-2019, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Sony 950G (new)
Vizio Quantum X (new)
Vizio Quantum P (new)

If the prices are similar I don't see any way you will go wrong with the Z9F.
post #14565 of 14664 Old 07-15-2019, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hoping I could get some advice as I’m having a tough time finding direct comparisons between these two sets online (Not surprising considering they’re different tiers and release years)

Because of the current sales going on these are the exact same price. I’m struggling to decide which is better. I’m quite drawn to the wide angle viewing of the Q80R and the one connect cables fragility plus the inability to run it in wall make me hesitate on the Q9FN. That being said the top of the line set from last year is still probably better in many ways than the second tier this year.

Anyone with any experience that can provide some feedback? Am I overblowing any issues? Thanks in advance for your help.
post #14566 of 14664 Old 07-15-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD5MDK View Post
If the prices are similar I don't see any way you will go wrong with the Z9F.
Thinking about the LG C8 now that prices are dropping on those as well.
post #14567 of 14664 Old 07-15-2019, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Moved into a new house and the wall space for a TV is between 65" and 70"

1. Budget = About $1,300 US
2. Seating distance = about 15 feet (TV is hung above a fireplace)
3. Size = 65" or 70"
4. Uses and sources = Watch YouTube during the day. HBO Go and Netflix at night. No video games and have a indoor HGTV Antennas Direct ClearStream Eclipse. Watch Blue-Ray on occasion at night.
5. Room lighting = Windows on one wall in the room. Semi-bright during the day but no direct glare on TV.

I actually ordered a 65" TV from Costco that's arriving today: Samsung RU8000. It was midway through my TV search and I thought it was the best Costco TV for $1,080

I also started looking at BestBuy and the Sony TV's look nice but they are more expensive. Here are the ones I'm considering:

65" Sony X900F - $1499 (about $400 more than the Samsung I ordered)
65" Sony X800G - $999
65" Samsung QLED Q60 - $1299
65" TCL 6 Series - $729.99

What should I be looking for or is the Samsung I bought a good deal for what I paid. I know the x900F is a great TV, but not sure it's $400 better
post #14568 of 14664 Old 07-15-2019, 11:48 AM

Crazy prices on tvs today. 65" Quantum X at Costco for $1399 and $1599 at Best Buy. 65" LG C8 OLED for $1599 on ebay.
post #14569 of 14664 Old 07-15-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Crazy prices on tvs today. 65" Quantum X at Costco for $1399 and $1599 at Best Buy. 65" LG C8 OLED for $1599 on ebay.
Best Buy sales person said Vizio's were the most returned models.
post #14570 of 14664 Old 07-15-2019, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskydawgs View Post
Best Buy sales person said Vizio's were the most returned models.
Best Buy sales rep will also tell you that you need their premium Rocketfish HDMI cable that starts at $30
golferrick likes this.

Last edited by PlanetAVS; 07-15-2019 at 01:03 PM.
post #14571 of 14664 Old 07-15-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Moved into a new house and the wall space for a TV is between 65" and 70"

1. Budget = About $1,300 US
2. Seating distance = about 15 feet (TV is hung above a fireplace)
3. Size = 65" or 70"
4. Uses and sources = Watch YouTube during the day. HBO Go and Netflix at night. No video games and have a indoor HGTV Antennas Direct ClearStream Eclipse. Watch Blue-Ray on occasion at night.
5. Room lighting = Windows on one wall in the room. Semi-bright during the day but no direct glare on TV.

I actually ordered a 65" TV from Costco that's arriving today: Samsung RU8000. It was midway through my TV search and I thought it was the best Costco TV for $1,080

I also started looking at BestBuy and the Sony TV's look nice but they are more expensive. Here are the ones I'm considering:

65" Sony X900F - $1499 (about $400 more than the Samsung I ordered)
65" Sony X800G - $999
65" Samsung QLED Q60 - $1299

What should I be looking for or is the Samsung I bought a good deal for what I paid. I know the x900F is a great TV, but not sure it's $400 better
Any comments?
post #14572 of 14664 Old 07-15-2019, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Any comments?

If you don't mind stepping back to a 55", I was recently shopping the LG C8 on Amazon and came across this... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...S57NX03I&psc=1

It's refurbished, but the reviews on the refurb are good.

Otherwise, I'd go with the Sony X900F

Last edited by jmbrad; 07-15-2019 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Added comment
post #14573 of 14664 Old 07-15-2019, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Any comments?
At 15 feet away, it's recommended to get as large as you can manage.

I would recommend the 75 inch TCL R615 at Best Buy, or the 65 inch Vizio P Quantum X which just had a price drop today at Costco in response to Amazon Prime Day.
post #14574 of 14664 Old 07-15-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
At 15 feet away, it's recommended to get as large as you can manage.

I would recommend the 75 inch TCL R615 at Best Buy, or the 65 inch Vizio P Quantum X which just had a price drop today at Costco in response to Amazon Prime Day.
The 75" TCL is intriguing....it's $1499. I wanted to stay in the $1,000 range so it's about 50% over my budget. The 75" would fit though. I have a 68" wide fireplace and the 75" TCL is 66" wide x 38" tall.
post #14575 of 14664 Old 07-15-2019, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The 75" TCL is intriguing....it's $1499. I wanted to stay in the $1,000 range so it's about 50% over my budget. The 75" would fit though. I have a 68" wide fireplace and the 75" TCL is 66" wide x 38" tall.

Earlier you mentioned that the budget was $1300. In any case, the TCL price was lower and must have gone back up.
post #14576 of 14664 Old 07-16-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Earlier you mentioned that the budget was $1300. In any case, the TCL price was lower and must have gone back up.
I'm torn...I have the Samsung RU8000 now. Fresh and new in the box.

Paid $1,080.

Not sure if I should just keep it or save $300 bucks and get the

or
spend +$400 and get the 75" TCL 6 Series
post #14577 of 14664 Old 07-16-2019, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I'm torn...I have the Samsung RU8000 now. Fresh and new in the box.

Paid $1,080.

Not sure if I should just keep it or save $300 bucks and get the

or
spend +$400 and get the 75" TCL 6 Series
You can never go too big. That is the number one complaint. Should have gotten a larger display. Get the tcl75.
post #14578 of 14664 Old 07-16-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpwj40e View Post
You can never go too big. That is the number one complaint. Should have gotten a larger display. Get the tcl75.
Any other thoughts?
post #14579 of 14664 Old 07-16-2019, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Any other thoughts?
Even a 75 inch is too small for a viewing distance of 15 feet. If you go with the 65, it will definitely take away from the 4K experience.
post #14580 of 14664 Old 07-16-2019, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Any other thoughts?
You really need an 85" at that distance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Cables Interconnects , Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Sony , Toshiba

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page