the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 505 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 851Likes

post #15121 of 15383 Old 11-28-2019, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Lots of good options with your budget at 65". I'd keep the LG C9 in mind, especially with Black Friday. Sony 950G is a solid choice, especially below 75". I would also consider the Vizio PQX but others will disagree
Now that Rtings has rated the TCL 8 Series, would your recommendation change? I’m still really drawn to the Samsungs (Q80 or Q90) but my usage probably doesn’t require that big of an investment, though I’m willing to make it. And of course the LGs are nice, too.

Probably can’t go wrong with any of these...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15122 of 15383 Old 11-28-2019, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1559 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozper View Post
Now that Rtings has rated the TCL 8 Series, would your recommendation change?
I realize your question was addressed to PlanetAVS, but I'll provide my take on it. It seems as if there is some work to be done on the TCL Q825 while the concept of a large array of Mini-LEDs seems promising. Maybe TCL can implement the required fixes, maybe not. Their track record in the QC area is not good be we'll see as there's always hope for improvement. But at the current pricing of $2K for the 65" and $3K for the 75", for now I'd recommend you look elsewhere to avoid the early adopter blues. Some of the issues noted in the Rtings TCL 8 Series Review are included below:

LOCAL DIMMING ISSUES
The backlight consists of a large array of Mini-LEDs that create a large number of local dimming zones. This is good, as it allows the TV to minimize blooming around bright objects. At the same time, due to the large number of zones, it's very noticeable when they turn on and off, and this creates a checkered/golfball effect.

However, the local dimming algorithm is very aggressive and crushes details in very dark scenes, like the intro scene of Netflix's Our Planet which is displayed with almost no stars.

Finally, the zone transitions can be distracting, depending on the scene. At about 1:06 of the above video, the small ball almost disappears as the slow zone transitions can't keep up with the speed of the fast-moving object.

DSE
Our TCL 65Q825 has a decent overall gray uniformity. Unfortunately, there's noticeable dirty screen effect both in bright and in dark scenes. Furthermore, the overall uniformity in the darker scenes is one of the worst we've encountered so far.

HDR ACCURACY
Unfortunately, the EOTF (electro-optical transfer function) doesn't track the target PQ curve closely, and most scenes are displayed darker than they should be. 'Game' mode is nearly identical, as shown here. Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do to make HDR brighter without messing with picture quality. Changing the Brightness setting from its default value will brighten HDR but also ruin the picture quality, so it isn't recommended.

For me, DSE is a showstopper, especially when it is visible in bright and dark scenes. While the dimming algorithm may be somewhat tunable, from Rtings testing it appears that the EOTF tracking may not be fixable leaving many scenes too dark. For many, overly dark HDR will also be a showstopper. There were other more minor issues (all TVs have some issues) along with positives such as the uber bright display, but overall IMO it's a work in progress.
post #15123 of 15383 Old 11-28-2019, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking to replace 60" ST50 viewed from 12' away--how much to spend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
What's the reason for upgrading? Did your plasma die? Unless youre going to be watching 4k HDR, switching from that particular plasma will likely be a downgrade in every area except brightness with lower tier 4k tvs. Cable TV will look alot better on that plasma than on an LCD, it's a huge downfall right now.

If your moving up 10", the increased size can be worth it but the 850e is edge lit and will have issues with blacks so I doubt I'd advise that coming from an ST plasma.
I have a 2012 Panasonic ST50 that still works great. Wondering about a more immersive experience, 4K, HDR, but don't really know what I'm missing or what I'd be giving up. My room:

Viewing distance is 12'
Viewing angle up to 45 degrees off centerline in either direction (does that mean 90 total?)
Daylight basement with no direct light but, can't get fully dark until night. Watch with lights on sometimes.
Mostly streaming movies, some OTA sports through HD Homerun/Xbox One (would upgrade to One S to get 4K). No fast-response gaming needed.

Not knowing what I'm missing, i'm happy with ST50 PQ and don't know that I'd see huge 4K difference at 12' on a 60-65" set. So would want to upsize to 75" I think.

What am I looking for at 75" with above constraints that's not a noticeable downgrade in PQ (dark levels? viewing angle?). If my budget is about $1500, am I on a fool's errand? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15124 of 15383 Old 11-28-2019, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2257 Post(s)
Liked: 2143
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozper View Post
Now that Rtings has rated the TCL 8 Series, would your recommendation change? I’m still really drawn to the Samsungs (Q80 or Q90) but my usage probably doesn’t require that big of an investment, though I’m willing to make it. And of course the LGs are nice, too.

Probably can’t go wrong with any of these...
Unfortunately the Rtngs review confirmed what was expected, that the blacks are crushed by the local dimming. Other tests (HDTV test, Villa Man on Youtube) and the owners thread are all reporting the same thing. Some are reporting that its only a problem using the onboard native apps (example Youtube) and that using external inputs is fine. To me, crushed blacks as shown in the reviews is a showstopper but I'll still be following what happens as there may be a firmware fix coming. HDTV Test and Wirecutter have already reported that the latest firmware fixes the EOTF problem but Rtngs still reports it as an issue. Not sure what firmware version Rtngs tested.

Aside from the black crush, the contrast ratio results are amazing and the brightness is spectacular.

Assuming you need something right away, I'd look elsewhere and try to take advantage of the Black Friday deals.
post #15125 of 15383 Old 11-28-2019, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaylor View Post
I have a 2012 Panasonic ST50 that still works great. Wondering about a more immersive experience, 4K, HDR, but don't really know what I'm missing or what I'd be giving up. My room:

Viewing distance is 12'
Viewing angle up to 45 degrees off centerline in either direction (does that mean 90 total?)
Daylight basement with no direct light but, can't get fully dark until night. Watch with lights on sometimes.
Mostly streaming movies, some OTA sports through HD Homerun/Xbox One (would upgrade to One S to get 4K). No fast-response gaming needed.

Not knowing what I'm missing, i'm happy with ST50 PQ and don't know that I'd see huge 4K difference at 12' on a 60-65" set. So would want to upsize to 75" I think.

What am I looking for at 75" with above constraints that's not a noticeable downgrade in PQ (dark levels? viewing angle?). If my budget is about $1500, am I on a fool's errand? Thanks in advance.
45° off center means in either direction. So you're looking at an OLED, VA panel with extended viewing layer, or IPS panel in that order of PQ. For 75" @ $1,500 the OLED and wide angle VA panels are out leaving only a low-end IPS panel. So yes, you're on a fools errand. For VA panels with extended viewing angle, look at the 75" FALD Samsung Q80R for $2,300 and the 75" Sony FALD X950G for $2,500. For IPS, the 75" LG SM8670 is in your price range at $1,300 but without local dimming and with a low contrast IPS panel it's not something I think you will want.

If you go down to 65", the Q80R FALD VA with ultra wide angle viewing is $1,700. Unfortunately, the 65" Sony X950G does not have the x-wide angle layer.
ntaylor likes this.
post #15126 of 15383 Old 11-29-2019, 03:13 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is the Samsung 80qr really worth a thousand more than the 70qr? I'm a PC gamer that uses a 4k 65" as a monitor and am thinking of upgrading to an 82". The viewing angle doesn't matter to me as I sit in the center, so the question is really based on the PQ.

Also, what tv stands are suggested for an 82"? About all I can find are ludicrously price gouged stands made of particle board. I live in an apartment so putting holes in my wall really isn't an option.
post #15127 of 15383 Old 11-29-2019, 04:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonikku View Post
Is the Samsung 80qr really worth a thousand more than the 70qr? I'm a PC gamer that uses a 4k 65" as a monitor and am thinking of upgrading to an 82". The viewing angle doesn't matter to me as I sit in the center, so the question is really based on the PQ.
For a gamer, no. The Q70R supports VRR for gaming and has good FALD for decent HDR. What the Q80R has over it is a glossy screen with wide angle viewing, more FALD zones, somewhat increased brightness and a better anti reflective coating. The Q70R has deeper blacks and a semi gloss screen.

Quote:
Also, what tv stands are suggested for an 82"? About all I can find are ludicrously price gouged stands made of particle board. I live in an apartment so putting holes in my wall really isn't an option.
You'll need only a 50" wide table to fit the stand legs on the 82" Q70R (the TV is 72" wide). A quick look an Amazon shows quite a few available for close to $100.
Sonikku likes this.
post #15128 of 15383 Old 11-29-2019, 04:54 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
For a gamer, no. The Q70R supports VRR for gaming and has good FALD for decent HDR. What the Q80R has over it is a glossy screen with wide angle viewing, more FALD zones, somewhat increased brightness and a better anti reflective coating. The Q70R has deeper blacks and a semi gloss screen.

You'll need only a 50" wide table to fit the stand legs on the 82" Q70R (the TV is 72" wide). A quick look an Amazon shows quite a few available for close to $100.
Thanks for the quick reply! I think I'm going with the 70 then.

But back on the stand, how do I fit a 72" wide TV on a 50" wide stand? Are you saying the legs on the 82" are only 50" apart?
post #15129 of 15383 Old 11-29-2019, 05:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply! I think I'm going with the 70 then.

But back on the stand, how do I fit a 72" wide TV on a 50" wide stand? Are you saying the legs on the 82" are only 50" apart?
Yes, according to the specs on the Samsung Canada website they are 1,251.4 mm apart, which converts to 49-1/4 inches.

Stand (Minimum) (WxD)
1251.4 x 387.3 mm
Sonikku likes this.
post #15130 of 15383 Old 11-29-2019, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Looking for some advice here. I recently purchased an 85" Sony 850G but haven't been happy with the black uniformity on the set. I read several reviews before buying, and everything sounded good for what I would expect from the set; good picture, could be a lot better with a more expensive technology, but nothing that would stand out as a serious flaw when viewing at home. I thought it was something I would be happy with for the price point. Needless to say, from the second I turned on the TV, the bright spots just stand out. It's fine for bright scenes and watching sports, but the majority of my viewing is UHD/BD movies, so it can be really distracting. I did a little more in depth digging after and found a few user reviews and it sound like this is fairly typical with this set (how professional reviews gloss over this while first hand experience accounts vary so wildly is a little disturbing).

So my question is, is it likely this is just a bad set that I should exchange, should I look at a different, comparable set that will produce better results, or should I just deal with it cause all sets in this size/price range are like this? With the size of this set, it's not like I can plan to ride it out for a year or two, then upgrade and just move this set to a spare bedroom. I have about two weeks left before I'm out of the return policy.

Would this break in over time, or are there any tricks to make this less noticeable?

My specifics:

1. Budget - Right around $2500, could go higher if necessary.
2. Seating distance - 12-15' (we love the 85" size for the room, seating distance, and wall)
3. Size/placement limitations - Viewed straight on, no crazy angles.
4. Uses and sources - Primarily UHD/BD movies, some tv and sports. No video games. Shield Pro/Panasonic 820 UHD Player
5. Room lighting - Two windows, both with black out shades, room is pitch black when watching movies.

Other TVs under consideration:

LG 86" UM8070 (never owned LG anything, not that I can't be sold on it)
LG 86" SM9070 (same as above, and pushing the budget)
Samsung 82" Q60 (no Dolby Vision)
Samsung 82" Q70 (no Dolby Vision)
Sony 75" X950G (would rather stay >80")
Sony 85" X900F (really pushing the budget)

Pictures:

Black screen, a bit exaggerated due to the auto camera settings

Doesn't look as bad as it is, but still noticeable

This is most like what my eyes perceive when watching a dark scene
post #15131 of 15383 Old 11-29-2019, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Galt View Post
My specifics:

1. Budget - Right around $2500, could go higher if necessary.
2. Seating distance - 12-15' (we love the 85" size for the room, seating distance, and wall)
3. Size/placement limitations - Viewed straight on, no crazy angles.
4. Uses and sources - Primarily UHD/BD movies, some tv and sports. No video games. Shield Pro/Panasonic 820 UHD Player
5. Room lighting - Two windows, both with black out shades, room is pitch black when watching movies.

Other TVs under consideration:

LG 86" UM8070 (never owned LG anything, not that I can't be sold on it)
LG 86" SM9070 (same as above, and pushing the budget)
Samsung 82" Q60 (no Dolby Vision)
Samsung 82" Q70 (no Dolby Vision)
Sony 75" X950G (would rather stay >80")
Sony 85" X900F (really pushing the budget)
You won't be happy with an IPS panel, since cloudiness is almost a feature of those panels, so eliminate both LGs. Also eliminate the 75" X950G since its too small and you're left with three choices:

Samsung 82" Q60 (no Dolby Vision) - also no local dimming like your Sony 850G and Rtings wasn't thrilled with it's black uniformity either.
Samsung 82" Q70 (no Dolby Vision) - has FALD for good HDR, deep blacks, Rtings measured excellent black uniformity.
Sony 85" X900F (Dolby Vision) - has FALD for good HDR, deep blacks, Rtings measured OK black uniformity.

The Samsung Q70R and Sony X900F are at a similar performance level with each beating the other in some areas. Go see them and see which you like better.
post #15132 of 15383 Old 11-29-2019, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi everyone,

Looking for a new 75"+ TV. Budget approx $2k - $3k. We mainly watch TV / movies.

Done a bunch of research recently, and looking at the Samsung 75" Q80R - on sale for Black Friday for $2299. The Q90R doesn't seem to justify the $1k bump?

Would really appreciate any thoughts / recommendations!
post #15133 of 15383 Old 11-29-2019, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 2375
Quote:
Originally Posted by hay7777 View Post
Hi everyone,

Looking for a new 75"+ TV. Budget approx $2k - $3k. We mainly watch TV / movies.

Done a bunch of research recently, and looking at the Samsung 75" Q80R - on sale for Black Friday for $2299. The Q90R doesn't seem to justify the $1k bump?

Would really appreciate any thoughts / recommendations!
Wide angle viewing? Room light?

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #15134 of 15383 Old 11-29-2019, 02:04 PM

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
Wide angle viewing? Room light?
Somewhat wide, yes. Typically we'll have lights off when watching movies, but lots of normal viewing during the day too.

cheers

David
post #15135 of 15383 Old 11-29-2019, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi,

Somewhat wide, yes. Typically we'll have lights off when watching movies, but lots of normal viewing during the day too.

cheers

David
Samsung Q80R 75" ($2297.99) has Ultra Viewing Angle. Sony X950G 75" ($2498) has X-Wide Angle, eARC, Dolby Vision, IMAX Enhanced, Ultimate Processor. Prices from B&H Photo, may be cheaper elsewhere.

Both are similarly touted. Should see and compare.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

post #15136 of 15383 Old 11-29-2019, 05:38 PM

Need Help

I have finally broken down and I'm in the market for a new tv. I have narrowed it down to 2 tvs.

Samsung QN75Q900RBFXZA
LG OLED77C9PUA

The room gets a lot of light since I have 3 big windows to the side of where the tv is mounted. I do have shutters which I can close to darken the room, which I know would help the LG OLED out. TV viewing will be mostly between 10-15 ft. We use the tv for watching sports and tv shows. We don't do any gaming at all. The place where I'm going to buy the tv has them for the same price, so price does not come into play. What should I do?

Current setup right now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191129_163239.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	2647328  
post #15137 of 15383 Old 11-30-2019, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegtsw94 View Post
I have finally broken down and I'm in the market for a new tv. I have narrowed it down to 2 tvs.

Samsung QN75Q900RBFXZA
LG OLED77C9PUA

The room gets a lot of light since I have 3 big windows to the side of where the tv is mounted. I do have shutters which I can close to darken the room, which I know would help the LG OLED out. TV viewing will be mostly between 10-15 ft. We use the tv for watching sports and tv shows. We don't do any gaming at all. The place where I'm going to buy the tv has them for the same price, so price does not come into play. What should I do?

Current setup right now.
The LG OLED77C9PUA is the one to get. The Samsung Q900 is considered a "fake 8K" in that only works with some 8K content and is outperformed by the 4K Samsung Q90R for regular 1080p and 4K use. While some issues are supposed to be fixed with an updated One Connect box, IMO the 900R is an early adopter compromise, so it's a good idea to wait for 8K.
Panson likes this.
post #15138 of 15383 Old 11-30-2019, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Anyone have any opinions on this screen:

bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/sharp-75-4k-uhd-hdr-led-roku-smart-tv-lc-75lbu711c/13493969?cmp=knc-s-71700000056140580&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-Ya_tpuR5gIVLYNaBR1r6AsnEAQYAyABEgLXlfD_BwE&gclsrc= aw.ds

It seems like a great black friday deal.
post #15139 of 15383 Old 11-30-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Samsung Q80R 75" ($2297.99) has Ultra Viewing Angle. Sony X950G 75" ($2498) has X-Wide Angle, eARC, Dolby Vision, IMAX Enhanced, Ultimate Processor. Prices from B&H Photo, may be cheaper elsewhere.

Both are similarly touted. Should see and compare.
Thanks!

Was a little shocked to see just a 1 year warranty?! Noted that Costco do their own version on QLEDs, with longer warranties - anyone know if they have an equivalent for the Q80R?

Any thoughts on whether a SquareTrade warranty would be worth it?
post #15140 of 15383 Old 11-30-2019, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks!

Was a little shocked to see just a 1 year warranty?! Noted that Costco do their own version on QLEDs, with longer warranties - anyone know if they have an equivalent for the Q80R?

Any thoughts on whether a SquareTrade warranty would be worth it?
Costco only carries the Q6DR and Q7DR, they don't carry a version of the Q80R. If you use Amex, for example, you get a extra year added to your warranty. Square Trade is legit, you just have to fight for a better TV than the one they offer as a replacement.
Panson likes this.
post #15141 of 15383 Old 11-30-2019, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Costco only carries the Q6DR and Q7DR, they don't carry a version of the Q80R. If you use Amex, for example, you get a extra year added to your warranty. Square Trade is legit, you just have to fight for a better TV than the one they offer as a replacement.
Good suggestion. Also, some Visa and MasterCard have the extended warranty. Search should reveal which ones. I had one such experience with Visa, and it was an easy success.

post #15142 of 15383 Old 11-30-2019, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Good suggestion. Also, some Visa and MasterCard have the extended warranty. Search should reveal which ones. I had one such experience with Visa, and it was an easy success.
I only mentioned Amex because it's a slam dunk. Lots of VISA and Master Cards have been removing the extra warranty coverage so you need to check with your specific one. I've only went with Square Trade for refurbished items. They replaced a 26" LCD I bought years ago with a brand new one when it failed.
post #15143 of 15383 Old 11-30-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
The LG OLED77C9PUA is the one to get. The Samsung Q900 is considered a "fake 8K" in that only works with some 8K content and is outperformed by the 4K Samsung Q90R for regular 1080p and 4K use. While some issues are supposed to be fixed with an updated One Connect box, IMO the 900R is an early adopter compromise, so it's a good idea to wait for 8K.
Thanks VA_Dave, after writing this post I did some more research and you reaffirmed what I had been reading about the samsung 900R.
post #15144 of 15383 Old 12-01-2019, 12:28 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Hi everyone, I'm going to buy a TV tomorrow. My budget is $2k-3k, and I want at least 75" size. Trying to decide between Samsung Q70 85" for $3k or Q80 75" for $2,300. Which one would you recommend? Or should I consider other brands (LG and Sony)? Viewing distance is about 12 feet, will be watching mostly TV shows and movies, sports occasionally. I actually never had a TV before, always watched everything on my laptop. Went to BestBuy today, but couldn't really tell the difference between any of the TVs they had in there - to me it seems like the size if the biggest differentiator.
post #15145 of 15383 Old 12-01-2019, 04:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelklachko View Post
Hi everyone, I'm going to buy a TV tomorrow. My budget is $2k-3k, and I want at least 75" size. Trying to decide between Samsung Q70 85" for $3k or Q80 75" for $2,300. Which one would you recommend? Or should I consider other brands (LG and Sony)? Viewing distance is about 12 feet, will be watching mostly TV shows and movies, sports occasionally. I actually never had a TV before, always watched everything on my laptop. Went to BestBuy today, but couldn't really tell the difference between any of the TVs they had in there - to me it seems like the size if the biggest differentiator.
The 85" Q70R is a standard VA panel with narrow viewing angles. Compare it with the 85" Sony X900F also at $3K.

The Q80R is a higher-end VA panel with more FALD zones and wide viewing angles. Compare it to the 75" Sony X950G VA panel with X-Wide angle layer for $2.5K.

If you don't need viewing angles more than 20° to either side, look at the 85" Q70R and 85" X900F. Size matters. These sets have similar numbers of FALD zones and either is a good choice so pick the one that looks best to you.

For wider viewing angles, the 75" Q80R is a higher-end TV and the best choice IMO. The Sony 75" X950G which has fewer FALD zones isn't as good but some prefer Sony's colors and motion.
post #15146 of 15383 Old 12-01-2019, 05:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I am looking to upgrade my 65" 1080p LCD to 75" 4k. There are a few 75" Black Friday deals happening at my local Best Buy.

Can anyone speak to which is the best purchase?
post #15147 of 15383 Old 12-01-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
The 85" Q70R is a standard VA panel with narrow viewing angles. Compare it with the 85" Sony X900F also at $3K

Thanks. I decided to go with 82" Q70 for $2,500. Now I wonder if I should get it on Amazon, which offers Asurion 4 year TV protection plan for $132, or BestBuy, which offers 2 year Geek Squad protection for $400. It's not clear to me why such discrepancy in pricing, for what appears to be identical level of protection. Any insight?
post #15148 of 15383 Old 12-01-2019, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelklachko View Post
Thanks. I decided to go with 82" Q70 for $2,500. Now I wonder if I should get it on Amazon, which offers Asurion 4 year TV protection plan for $132, or BestBuy, which offers 2 year Geek Squad protection for $400. It's not clear to me why such discrepancy in pricing, for what appears to be identical level of protection. Any insight?

You should really consider the 82” Q80R. It’s $2800 on eBay from a reputable seller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #15149 of 15383 Old 12-01-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
The best 49"/50" TV is the Sony XBR49X900F. It's a native 120 Hz VA panel FALD TV that's brighter with a better anti-reflective coating, has more FALD zones, better motion control and better upscaling than the Vizio M507-G1. While it's normally sold right at your budget, you should find a BF deal on it in the next few weeks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmonty View Post
Budget: Under $900

Seating distance: 12-14 feet

Size/placement limitations: The only place that a TV will go is in the corner of the living room between the fireplace and the doorwall. It's not a large living room. I currently have a 47" LG HDTV there now. A 50" TV is the largest that I can squeeze in there. Seating is against both walls opposite the TV's corner.

Uses and sources: We watch mostly cable TV and movies, DVDs and Bluerays (on a PS3). We play occasional video games, but rarely. We have an available ethernet cable plus wifi. Sometimes we watch Netflix but we normally use it through the cable box (Xfinity X1). We have a baby in the house, so maybe we will get Disney+ some day.

Room lighting: During the day, there is a lot of light, since one wall of the living room is all doorwalls, which are to the side of and behind the TV. We have shades that come down over the doorwalls but they do not completely darken the room. At night, we usually watch TV with a corner lamp on and the rest of the room is dark. The living room is open to the kitchen, which usually has lights on, so there will be some reflections. Our current LG TV has a wonderful matte finish that minimizes reflections.

The LG TV is not UHD or 4k. It's quite a decent TV but we notice that when we watch in the dark and the picture has a dark scene, the picture will sporadically dim and undim by itself. It's not very bright during the day.

We have a good surround sound audio system, so the TV speaker quality is not a concern.

I have my eye on the Vizio M507-G1, but am open to all suggestions.
If I wanted to upgrade to a 55 inch for the same budget, what would be the best option?
post #15150 of 15383 Old 12-01-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-1* View Post
You should really consider the 82” Q80R. It’s $2800 on eBay from a reputable seller.

If you mean the one from seller "echo and optics" it shows "0 available". I don't see any other sellers at this price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Cables Interconnects , Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Sony , Toshiba

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page