the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 507 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 852Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #15181 of 15387 Old 12-11-2019, 08:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Hogfan2502's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm looking to get a 55" budget 4K TV for my son for Christmas. He mainly games on it and also streams movies/tv shows on netflix, vudu, disney+, etc, but mainly games on it with his PS4 or Xbox One S. After looking around at reviews, etc. I have come down to these three tv's listed below. I just wanted to get y'alls opinions on which you all think is the best to get. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

TCL R615 (2018 model, same as the R617 just diff remote) at Best Buy for $399.99

TCL R625 (2019 model) at Best Buy for $599.99

Hisense H9F at Best Buy for $549.99

Which is the best in y'alls opinion??
Hogfan2502 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #15182 of 15387 Old 12-11-2019, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,809
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked: 2382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogfan2502 View Post
I'm looking to get a 55" budget 4K TV for my son for Christmas. He mainly games on it and also streams movies/tv shows on netflix, vudu, disney+, etc, but mainly games on it with his PS4 or Xbox One S. After looking around at reviews, etc. I have come down to these three tv's listed below. I just wanted to get y'alls opinions on which you all think is the best to get. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

TCL R615 (2018 model, same as the R617 just diff remote) at Best Buy for $399.99

TCL R625 (2019 model) at Best Buy for $599.99

Hisense H9F at Best Buy for $549.99

Which is the best in y'alls opinion??
Hisense H9F. Good luck, have fun, Merry Xmas.

Related:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/comp...-r625/908/1591

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
Panson is offline  
post #15183 of 15387 Old 12-11-2019, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
reds75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 688
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 229
I am very sensitive to motion blur. I want a 49 inch set. I tried the sony 900f ,the motion was fine The ota tuner was extreemly weak. I lost some of my ota channels. My question is this. Should I be worried about motion on fast sports with the Samsung 49 inch sets . The Q70,Ru 8000, or the Q60. These all have 60htz panels . Rtings only evaluate the motion on 55 inch sets.Its hard to tell with the Best Buy loops. Thanks for any info.
reds75 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #15184 of 15387 Old 12-11-2019, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,809
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked: 2382
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds75 View Post
I am very sensitive to motion blur. I want a 49 inch set. I tried the sony 900f ,the motion was fine The ota tuner was extreemly weak. I lost some of my ota channels. My question is this. Should I be worried about motion on fast sports with the Samsung 49 inch sets . The Q70,Ru 8000, or the Q60. These all have 60htz panels . Rtings only evaluate the motion on 55 inch sets.Its hard to tell with the Best Buy loops. Thanks for any info.
49". Your only remaining option AFAIK is the Q70R. It may work. Not being as good as X900F out of the box, a good calibration is a must. Also, Q70R reflection is worse than the X900F, but would likely be better in a darker room. Good luck.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
Panson is offline  
post #15185 of 15387 Old 12-12-2019, 01:03 AM
t83
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I've been looking for my first 4K TV and can't decide which model to go for. I'm trying to stay under a $2000 budget. It's a living room TV with a viewing distance of 11 ft. We watch a mix of streaming movies/tv (Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, Prime Video etc..) and sports/TV via cable (which I know won't look great).



Here are the models I've narrowed it down to:


-75" Samsung Q70
-75" Sony 900F
-65" Samsung Q80
-65" Sony 950G


Based on the reviews and comments I've read, my concerns with the 75" models are that the Q70 seems to mostly get high reviews on it's gaming features, but otherwise reviews aren't stellar (also no Dolby Vision). The 900F seems to have major blooming issues, which could be a problem given we often watch TV in the dark with captions on. For the 65" models, the 950G seems to ahve improved the blooming issues, but it's still there, but it seems like the best for upscaling, which would be a plus for watching sports/cable. Finally, the Q80 seems to have a better picture than the Q70, and doesn't have the blooming issues of the Sony's, but there is no Dolby Vision support, and it's $300-400 more than the 950G.



Anyways, any recommendations or suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks!
Scarriere likes this.
t83 is offline  
post #15186 of 15387 Old 12-12-2019, 09:32 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by t83 View Post
I've been looking for my first 4K TV and can't decide which model to go for. I'm trying to stay under a $2000 budget. It's a living room TV with a viewing distance of 11 ft. We watch a mix of streaming movies/tv (Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, Prime Video etc..) and sports/TV via cable (which I know won't look great).



Here are the models I've narrowed it down to:


-75" Samsung Q70
-75" Sony 900F
-65" Samsung Q80
-65" Sony 950G


Based on the reviews and comments I've read, my concerns with the 75" models are that the Q70 seems to mostly get high reviews on it's gaming features, but otherwise reviews aren't stellar (also no Dolby Vision). The 900F seems to have major blooming issues, which could be a problem given we often watch TV in the dark with captions on. For the 65" models, the 950G seems to ahve improved the blooming issues, but it's still there, but it seems like the best for upscaling, which would be a plus for watching sports/cable. Finally, the Q80 seems to have a better picture than the Q70, and doesn't have the blooming issues of the Sony's, but there is no Dolby Vision support, and it's $300-400 more than the 950G.



Anyways, any recommendations or suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks!
From everything I have been reading and seeing I would go with a Sony over the Samsung. The processor is much better and the colors are much better. Samsung might not have any blooming but they are also know for crushing blacks. I think the 950G is the best bet. Blooming also seems to be pretty subjective, some notice it some dont. Good luck!
ljceeb is offline  
post #15187 of 15387 Old 12-12-2019, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,809
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked: 2382
Quote:
Originally Posted by t83 View Post
I've been looking for my first 4K TV and can't decide which model to go for. I'm trying to stay under a $2000 budget. It's a living room TV with a viewing distance of 11 ft. We watch a mix of streaming movies/tv (Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, Prime Video etc..) and sports/TV via cable (which I know won't look great).
Here are the models I've narrowed it down to:
-75" Samsung Q70
-75" Sony 900F
-65" Samsung Q80
-65" Sony 950G
Based on the reviews and comments I've read, my concerns with the 75" models are that the Q70 seems to mostly get high reviews on it's gaming features, but otherwise reviews aren't stellar (also no Dolby Vision). The 900F seems to have major blooming issues, which could be a problem given we often watch TV in the dark with captions on. For the 65" models, the 950G seems to ahve improved the blooming issues, but it's still there, but it seems like the best for upscaling, which would be a plus for watching sports/cable. Finally, the Q80 seems to have a better picture than the Q70, and doesn't have the blooming issues of the Sony's, but there is no Dolby Vision support, and it's $300-400 more than the 950G.
Anyways, any recommendations or suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks!
First of all, blooming issues are overrated. Both Samsung and Sony handle them in different ways, Samsung sometimes to the detriment of the entire picture by over-aggressive dimming.

I'd forget Samsung anyway with no Dolby Vision. That's important to a lot of people now, and it'll likely be in more demand for the future.

Speaking of future, from your list the X950G 65" would be the best answer. It has Dolby Vision and handles it better than X900F. In addition to DV, X950G also has eARC, IMAX Enhanced capability, and the Ultimate Processor.

Good luck, have fun, Merry Xmas.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
Panson is offline  
post #15188 of 15387 Old 12-12-2019, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VA_DaveB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,689
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1560 Post(s)
Liked: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by t83 View Post
I've been looking for my first 4K TV and can't decide which model to go for. I'm trying to stay under a $2000 budget. It's a living room TV with a viewing distance of 11 ft. We watch a mix of streaming movies/tv (Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, Prime Video etc..) and sports/TV via cable (which I know won't look great).

Here are the models I've narrowed it down to:

-75" Samsung Q70
-75" Sony 900F
-65" Samsung Q80
-65" Sony 950G
If you can go 65", get an OLED for maximum PQ. There are online deals for under your $2K limit and it fits your viewing profile. All the LCDs you are looking are mid to upper mid tier so only go for one of them if you're going 75" or bigger. OLEDs have extended viewing angles and only the Samsung Q80R in the models you're looking at has wide viewing angles. All the others have typically narrow VA panel viewing angles of 20° to 25° to either side.
dwaleke likes this.
VA_DaveB is offline  
post #15189 of 15387 Old 12-12-2019, 12:00 PM
Senior Member
 
mooseehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by t83 View Post
I've been looking for my first 4K TV and can't decide which model to go for. I'm trying to stay under a $2000 budget. It's a living room TV with a viewing distance of 11 ft. We watch a mix of streaming movies/tv (Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, Prime Video etc..) and sports/TV via cable (which I know won't look great).



Here are the models I've narrowed it down to:


-75" Samsung Q70
-75" Sony 900F
-65" Samsung Q80
-65" Sony 950G


Based on the reviews and comments I've read, my concerns with the 75" models are that the Q70 seems to mostly get high reviews on it's gaming features, but otherwise reviews aren't stellar (also no Dolby Vision). The 900F seems to have major blooming issues, which could be a problem given we often watch TV in the dark with captions on. For the 65" models, the 950G seems to ahve improved the blooming issues, but it's still there, but it seems like the best for upscaling, which would be a plus for watching sports/cable. Finally, the Q80 seems to have a better picture than the Q70, and doesn't have the blooming issues of the Sony's, but there is no Dolby Vision support, and it's $300-400 more than the 950G.



Anyways, any recommendations or suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks!
Not sure what you used for streaming, but fyi, the Roku stand alone players, do not have Dolby vision.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
mooseehead is offline  
post #15190 of 15387 Old 12-13-2019, 12:04 PM
Member
 
Glap86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Looking for an 82-85" TV to be used primarily for watching sports and cable TV. It also cannot have a oneconnect box (rules out the Q90). Currently leaning Q80. Any others worth considering?
Glap86 is offline  
post #15191 of 15387 Old 12-13-2019, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VA_DaveB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,689
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1560 Post(s)
Liked: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glap86 View Post
Looking for an 82-85" TV to be used primarily for watching sports and cable TV. It also cannot have a oneconnect box (rules out the Q90). Currently leaning Q80. Any others worth considering?
Do you need the wide angle viewing? Then add the 85" Sony X950G for consideration vs. the 82" Q80R.

If not, look at the 85" Sony X900F vs. 82" and 85" Samsung Q70R.
Scarriere likes this.
VA_DaveB is offline  
post #15192 of 15387 Old 12-13-2019, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
tidwelr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 898
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glap86 View Post
Looking for an 82-85" TV to be used primarily for watching sports and cable TV. It also cannot have a oneconnect box (rules out the Q90). Currently leaning Q80. Any others worth considering?


I’m wondering when that Q80 gets back down to $3500 for the 82” myself.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tidwelr1 is offline  
post #15193 of 15387 Old 12-14-2019, 10:45 AM
Member
 
Eddie E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South Jersey Shore
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelklachko View Post
2. A pair of large floor standing speakers, but no amplifier. If the first option is no go, which amplifier should I get (~$500)?
I just purchased a Denon AVR-X3500H receiver to go with my new Sony. It's a 2018 model and Amazon is selling them for $549. They are listed for $999 on Denon's website. It a really great receiver for that price.
Eddie E is offline  
post #15194 of 15387 Old 12-14-2019, 09:04 PM
t83
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseehead View Post
Not sure what you used for streaming, but fyi, the Roku stand alone players, do not have Dolby vision.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I use an Apple TV 4K for streaming.
t83 is offline  
post #15195 of 15387 Old 12-16-2019, 07:13 AM
Member
 
jiholl5333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sony 65 Z9F Now $1799

Hi....the price just dropped considerably....with this lower price...would you get this over the Samsung Q90R...which is now about $2600? Thanks? ..I am aware of the blooming issues, etc on the Z9F...
jiholl5333 is offline  
post #15196 of 15387 Old 12-16-2019, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,809
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked: 2382
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiholl5333 View Post
Hi....the price just dropped considerably....with this lower price...would you get this over the Samsung Q90R...which is now about $2600? Thanks? ..I am aware of the blooming issues, etc on the Z9F...
Z9F contrast could be better, so Q90R's your answer, unless you need eARC and Dolby Vision.

Good luck, have fun, Merry Xmas.

Related:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/comp...g-q90r/683/779

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
Panson is offline  
post #15197 of 15387 Old 12-16-2019, 02:27 PM
Member
 
jiholl5333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
Z9F contrast could be better, so Q90R's your answer, unless you need eARC and Dolby Vision.

Good luck, have fun, Merry Xmas.

Related:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/comp...g-q90r/683/779
Thank you! re Dolby Vision....so I do watch a lot of Netflix and Apple TV that is in Dolby Vision ....but would you agree that I dont "need" Dolby Vision?...meaning all of that will still play in HDR which generally should be fine?
jiholl5333 is offline  
post #15198 of 15387 Old 12-16-2019, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,809
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked: 2382
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiholl5333 View Post
Thank you! re Dolby Vision....so I do watch a lot of Netflix and Apple TV that is in Dolby Vision ....but would you agree that I dont "need" Dolby Vision?...meaning all of that will still play in HDR which generally should be fine?
Each must reason that. HDR10 is prominent. DV has drawn significant interest in six months, as supply, delivery, technology struggle to please demand.

My DV interest probably won't be 'til 8K and 2.1 (and other?) is firmly entrenched.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
Panson is offline  
post #15199 of 15387 Old 12-16-2019, 08:37 PM
Member
 
rmscott_75077's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Flower Mound, TX
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
A bit of a different request. I have an older 55" Samsung in the game room. We occasionally watch movies, sports or play games from the PS4 on it. I was tempted by several low cost TVs advertised over the holidays. Viewing distance can vary as the game room is big. We can move around. I'm tempted by the JVC and RCA 4K 70" TVs at of all places Walmart. Are they pure junk or would it be okay for a second room. Kids are in college so can't go all out. We watch football over an HDMI cable box. I think it is 1080i and 720p up there. but would like to go ahead and prepare for later if it isn't a waste. I'm not an affectionado



https://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-70-Cl...7-US/463272381
https://www.walmart.com/ip/JVC-70-Cl...W795/297896134
rmscott_75077 is offline  
post #15200 of 15387 Old 12-17-2019, 05:11 AM
Newbie
 
TheFSword's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all, I live in Europe (Greece) and I'm looking for a 65'' TV. The model numbers of the TV's I'm considering are not exactly the same in US and Europe but the corresponding US models are Sony 65XBR900F (in Europe: 65XF9005) and Samsung 65Q80R (in Europe: 65Q85R - it's not the exact same model, it has the same dimming zones as the US Q80 model with the addition of the connectivity box you have in the Q90R but in terms of image quality they're pretty similar).

Some facts: the TV will be used 90% with crappy TV signal (sometimes not even HD). So I need a good processor for upscaling to 4K. As for movies I'll be watching a few from external sources (Blue Ray player/HDD) occasionally. Usually they will include subtitles and they'll also need upscaling. I don't care if I'll have the deepest blacks etc. just something satisfactory (or more if possible). My previous TV was a Panasonic Plasma so I've had some good experience there. In any case, due to the above I'm leaning more towards Sony. I know it's a 2018 model and the Samsung a 2019 one but given the use I think it will serve me better (I think it has better upsacling and more natural colors). Not to mention that it costs about $400 less :-) But ok if Samsung is better I can also get the Q80R. But is it, what do you think? Should I go for the Sony or the Samsung?

So far I think Samsung is better in the dimming zones (it has double I think) but on the other hand the local dimming can't be disabled (from the official menu at least, there is a way from a hidden menu I believe but you it would mean losing the warranty) and as far as I know its algorithm is generally more aggressive than Sony. On the other hand I also read about blooming issues with the Sony so I'm a bit confused. The Sony is also Android TV but I don't know if that's good or bad - good for the options it gives you, bad due to some potential lags. I plan on disabling everything and keeping basic apps like YouTube, Netflix etc. to limit such menu lags.

In any case, which one would you recommend? Sony 65XBR900F or Samsung 65Q80R?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by TheFSword; 12-17-2019 at 05:14 AM.
TheFSword is offline  
post #15201 of 15387 Old 12-17-2019, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VA_DaveB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,689
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1560 Post(s)
Liked: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFSword View Post
Hello all, I live in Europe (Greece) and I'm looking for a 65'' TV. The model numbers of the TV's I'm considering are not exactly the same in US and Europe but the corresponding US models are Sony 65XBR900F (in Europe: 65XF9005) and Samsung 65Q80R (in Europe: 65Q85R - it's not the exact same model, it has the same dimming zones as the US Q80 model with the addition of the connectivity box you have in the Q90R but in terms of image quality they're pretty similar).

Some facts: the TV will be used 90% with crappy TV signal (sometimes not even HD). So I need a good processor for upscaling to 4K. As for movies I'll be watching a few from external sources (Blue Ray player/HDD) occasionally. Usually they will include subtitles and they'll also need upscaling. I don't care if I'll have the deepest blacks etc. just something satisfactory (or more if possible). My previous TV was a Panasonic Plasma so I've had some good experience there. In any case, due to the above I'm leaning more towards Sony. I know it's a 2018 model and the Samsung a 2019 one but given the use I think it will serve me better (I think it has better upsacling and more natural colors). Not to mention that it costs about $400 less :-) But ok if Samsung is better I can also get the Q80R. But is it, what do you think? Should I go for the Sony or the Samsung?

So far I think Samsung is better in the dimming zones (it has double I think) but on the other hand the local dimming can't be disabled (from the official menu at least, there is a way from a hidden menu I believe but you it would mean losing the warranty) and as far as I know its algorithm is generally more aggressive than Sony. On the other hand I also read about blooming issues with the Sony so I'm a bit confused. The Sony is also Android TV but I don't know if that's good or bad - good for the options it gives you, bad due to some potential lags. I plan on disabling everything and keeping basic apps like YouTube, Netflix etc. to limit such menu lags.

In any case, which one would you recommend? Sony 65XBR900F or Samsung 65Q80R?

Thank you in advance!
These are both good TVs, but its all about your personal preferences. Do you want DV, then the 900F is your choice. Do you have an OCD regarding blooming, then the Q85R is the one. Or if you need wider viewing angles, then you want the Samsung Q85R. Generally, the 900F's Android UI got better with the 8.0 oreo upgrade, but it is still slower than the newer 950G which has a faster processor. Samsung's Tizen is a fast and good UI. Yes, the Q85R has twice the dimming zones, but Samsung programs for black crush to reduce blooming. Sony goes towards shadow detail, so more blooming especially with half the zones. Some like Sony's more natural colors, some like Samsung's more vivid, deeper colors. Others find Sony's motion control better than Samsung's but for me, either is fine. You need to look at them and decide for yourself. Nobody here can tell you what looks good to you although some will try.
tomnan24 and TheFSword like this.
VA_DaveB is offline  
post #15202 of 15387 Old 12-17-2019, 09:01 AM
Newbie
 
TheFSword's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you very much for the detailed response! Your last advice is, of course, the best one (go and see for myself). Unfortunately, the local stores here don't provide that option: they have most TVs play a demo, where of course everything looks great. No TV signal, no subtitles... Which is why I ask for your help :-)

Let me ask a couple more questions, first of all would it be a better option to go for the Sony 950G (here it's Sony KD-65XG9505)? Would that eliminate some of the 900F flaws? In addition, is there any other known drawbacks of each model? For example the 900F has blooming, the Q85R has less detail in blacks etc. I think I read about ghosting issues with one of the models - to be honest can't remember which one it was because I've been reading all these threads the last few days :-) E.g. Sony has Dolby Vision, Samsung doesn't, Samsung doesn't support DTS etc. Sometimes it's best not to have too many options :-)
TheFSword is offline  
post #15203 of 15387 Old 12-17-2019, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VA_DaveB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,689
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1560 Post(s)
Liked: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFSword View Post
Let me ask a couple more questions, first of all would it be a better option to go for the Sony 950G (here it's Sony KD-65XG9505)?
The 900F and 950G at 65" are fairly comparable, the 900F has a bit deeper blacks, the 950G is brighter and has the snappier performing Android UI. And most here think that DV works better on the 950G.

You never mentioned one way or the other regarding viewing angles. The 65" 900F and 950G have typically narrow VA panel viewing angles. The Q80R has a wide viewing angle as does the 75" and larger 950G.
TheFSword likes this.
VA_DaveB is offline  
post #15204 of 15387 Old 12-17-2019, 09:48 AM
Newbie
 
TheFSword's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks again. Excuse the ignorance but what do you mean by DV; I assume something to do with the standard definition signal?
TheFSword is offline  
post #15205 of 15387 Old 12-17-2019, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VA_DaveB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,689
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1560 Post(s)
Liked: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFSword View Post
Thanks again. Excuse the ignorance but what do you mean by DV; I assume something to do with the standard definition signal?
DV = Dolby Vision - HDR with dynamic metadata vs. standard HDR with static metadata. Some want to have it, others don't care. Sony has it, Samsung does not support DV, they created their own HDR10+ with dynamic metadata. Both Sony and Samsung run standard HDR which pretty much everything comes in.
TheFSword likes this.
VA_DaveB is offline  
post #15206 of 15387 Old 12-17-2019, 11:13 AM
Member
 
thaar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm looking to upgrade my current 70" Vizio M-series (bought in 2015) to something over 80". This TV is in our living room and is primarily used for basic TV watching with DirecTV and Roku (Mostly Netflix, Prime Video, and HBOGo) paired with a Paradigm soundbar and sub - we have a home theater in the basement that we typically use for movies, but every so often, we'll watch movies in the living room. Despite being used for standard TV watching and the occasional movie, I still appreciate good picture quality, particularly while watching sports.

Our couch is 13-14' away from the TV, but I also like to watch from the kitchen while I prepare dinner, which is probably 25'+ away. We do have a window to the side that can create some glare occasionally, as do some of our lights in the evening (I like to turn them off, but that's not always an option). As for budget, I'd like to keep it below $3,500 or so; there is some wiggle room. I was considering the 85" 900F based on some of the recommendations here, but haven't done enough research to see what else might fit the bill. What other TV's should I consider? Thanks!
thaar is offline  
post #15207 of 15387 Old 12-17-2019, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VA_DaveB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,689
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1560 Post(s)
Liked: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaar View Post
I'm looking to upgrade my current 70" Vizio M-series (bought in 2015) to something over 80". This TV is in our living room and is primarily used for basic TV watching with DirecTV and Roku (Mostly Netflix, Prime Video, and HBOGo) paired with a Paradigm soundbar and sub - we have a home theater in the basement that we typically use for movies, but every so often, we'll watch movies in the living room. Despite being used for standard TV watching and the occasional movie, I still appreciate good picture quality, particularly while watching sports.

Our couch is 13-14' away from the TV, but I also like to watch from the kitchen while I prepare dinner, which is probably 25'+ away. We do have a window to the side that can create some glare occasionally, as do some of our lights in the evening (I like to turn them off, but that's not always an option). As for budget, I'd like to keep it below $3,500 or so; there is some wiggle room. I was considering the 85" 900F based on some of the recommendations here, but haven't done enough research to see what else might fit the bill. What other TV's should I consider? Thanks!
You could also look at the 82" Samsung Q70R for $2,500 and the 85" Q70R for $3,000. It is a FALD VA panel like the Sony 900F with a narrow viewing angle.

Should you decide you need better off angle viewing, the 85" Sony X950G and 85" Samsung Q80R are both a bit more at $4,000.
Scarriere likes this.
VA_DaveB is offline  
post #15208 of 15387 Old 12-17-2019, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,809
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked: 2382
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmscott_75077 View Post
A bit of a different request. I have an older 55" Samsung in the game room. We occasionally watch movies, sports or play games from the PS4 on it. I was tempted by several low cost TVs advertised over the holidays. Viewing distance can vary as the game room is big. We can move around. I'm tempted by the JVC and RCA 4K 70" TVs at of all places Walmart. Are they pure junk or would it be okay for a second room. Kids are in college so can't go all out. We watch football over an HDMI cable box. I think it is 1080i and 720p up there. but would like to go ahead and prepare for later if it isn't a waste. I'm not an affectionado
IMO they're junk, that'll be replaced sooner than later. For sports, games, you won't get the motion you need. Enjoyability, dependability, and durability are tags to remember for a few dollars more.

Looking at the Wally site, their selection is incomplete, and some sold out. Can you try Costco, Best Buy, Amazon, and consider 65" TVs?

A few to consider:

LG Nano 8 SM8600PUA 65" has IPS panel for wide angle viewing. 120Hz native refresh rate. Dolby Vision. $796.99 at B&H Photo, may be cheaper elsewhere.

Samsung RU8000 65" has VA panel for straight-on viewing. 120 Hz native refresh rate. $897.99 at B&H Photo, may be cheaper elsewhere.

VIZIO M-Series Quantum M658-G1 65" has VA panel for straight-on viewing. 120 native refresh rate. Dolby Vision. $899.99 at B&H Photo, may be cheaper elsewhere.

TCL 6-Series R617 65" has VA panel for straight-on viewing. 120 Hz native refresh rate. Dolby Vision. $749.99 at B&H Photo, may be cheaper elsewhere.

Note: Reviews can be accessed at rtingsdotcom

Good luck, have fun, Merry Xmas.
Scarriere likes this.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
Panson is offline  
post #15209 of 15387 Old 12-17-2019, 02:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Looking for a 4k TV that has good SOE. I like SOE and watching movies/gaming in the highest frames possible. Is there any TV out there that has good motion interpolation to provide great SOE without constant stutters/judders? The 55X950G I have right now makes watching things with SOE unbearable due to constant stutters/judders. I was looking at the Samsung 55" Q70R, but not sure how the motion is on that. I've been getting conflicting answers, some saying motion is good, others saying it's bad and has terrible SOE with stutters/judders.

Last edited by omiexstrike; 12-17-2019 at 02:56 PM.
omiexstrike is offline  
post #15210 of 15387 Old 12-17-2019, 03:22 PM
Member
 
thaar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
You could also look at the 82" Samsung Q70R for $2,500 and the 85" Q70R for $3,000. It is a FALD VA panel like the Sony 900F with a narrow viewing angle.

Should you decide you need better off angle viewing, the 85" Sony X950G and 85" Samsung Q80R are both a bit more at $4,000.
Good deal, thanks for the input. Viewing angle isn't a concern, fortunately. I'll do some research on the Samsungs as well.
thaar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Cables Interconnects , Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Sony , Toshiba

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off