Vizio M220NV Razor 22" LCD w/VIA and Wireless N - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 04-03-2010, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
EAS
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone heard any news about the Vizio M220NV? According to the Vizio press release it should be out this month. I thought I would have seen at least a few retailers offering it early or doing pre-sales, but I'm not seeing much of anything.

http://www.vizio.com/news/VIZIOLaunc...LCDHDTVsin2010

I'm really looking forward to this small set since it's LED, Wireless N and has VIA. I'm seeing it as something a can tote around the house easily.

Does anyone know about actual release date in April?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 04-23-2010, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
EAS
Advanced Member

Still haven't seen any more sales info on this unit. Attaching the line card.

19M220NV 15-lowres.pdf 102.8076171875k . file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 19M220NV 15-lowres.pdf (102.8 KB, 48 views)
post #3 of 28 Old 05-02-2010, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It looks like its up on the Vizio website now. Availability is listed as coming soon.

http://www.vizio.com/flat-panel-hdtvs/m220nv.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 05-02-2010, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
EAS
Advanced Member

Nice. It's a good looking unit. Interesting looking power button. It looks like it's knurled so I wonder if it's also a physical volume control. Retro-Modern!
post #5 of 28 Old 06-05-2010, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
On Amazon it's already on sale. I want to get one for my small bedroom where I have a 13" Panasonic TV/VCR combo.
post #6 of 28 Old 06-06-2010, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Target has it advertised at $319.00 in the Sunday June 6 insert. Vizio has the user manual available for download.
post #7 of 28 Old 06-07-2010, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
EAS
Advanced Member

I picked one up at Target over the weekend.

I haven't spent a lot of time with it, but I set up Netflix and Pandora. Lip sync issue was noticed with Netflix.

It's a really nice looking set. The remote buttons seem a bit delicate and cheap. I really don't care for the glossy surface of the remote. All the buttons have finger print halo's. I don't think they thought that design through very well.

Now I just need to figure out if i can get the SDK for the apps so I can bake my own.
post #8 of 28 Old 06-11-2010, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Any thoughts on sound? The original razor 23" led had some of the worst sound ever. Just wondering if they resolved that at all...
post #9 of 28 Old 06-11-2010, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
EAS
Advanced Member

I thought it sounded much much better than the razor. I'm not sure anything could sound as bad as a razor, actually. In my opinion perfectly acceptable and not something that stands out.

I'm using the set with an FM transmitter (using headphones out) since I use it when rowing. I then us a sansa clip (FM receiver) attached to my heart rate monitor and earbuds. This way I can listen at low volumes and don't have cords in the way.

I think I give the set a thumbs up at the moment.
post #10 of 28 Old 06-29-2010, 12:06 PM

Is this the same set that is offered at Sams? Model: M220MV
post #11 of 28 Old 06-29-2010, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
EAS
Advanced Member

It is not the same product. Similar, but it has a different model number because it does not have the Internet Apps. It's only a TV.
post #12 of 28 Old 07-05-2010, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAS View Post

It is not the same product. Similar, but it has a different model number because it does not have the Internet Apps. It's only a TV.

Ok, but other than that the TV specs are the same from what I saw. I'm thinking about picking one up for my basement to go in front of our treadmill, but had concerns about the speakers being loud enough.
post #13 of 28 Old 07-24-2010, 04:15 PM

I picked up the M220NV at C o s t c o a couple days ago, I like it overall. Glossy black frame, matte (? semi-matte?) screen, no glare, that's nice. Haven't tried it for TV yet.

Wireless internet capability is interesting but from what I can tell so far, limited to certain "widget" applications like FB and Yahoo news. Especially frustrating is that for inputs requiring text input, it will not use the computer keyboard but must use the remote (cumbersome) to put in things like your email address etc.

No data cables included with the M220NV so if you intend it for a monitor you will need a cable. There are a number of people selling cables on eBay, much cheaper than at brick-and-mortar stores.

My primary purpose for buying this is as a computer monitor, and secondary use as a TV. Several problems setting it up as a monitor so I am posting them here to see if anyone can help

1. 15 pin VGA D connector - can't get the M220NM to recognize my computer (HP DV2500 laptop) - I get a message "Invalid Format". I have routinely used this computer/path to interface with a Samsung __205__ (forget the exact model) monitor so I don't think it's a problem with the computer. Also the same thing happens with two different VGA cables so it's not the cable either. Yet to test is with another computer, will try that (doubt it's the computer though, this computer worked with another monitor within the last week).

2. HDMI - It works with my computer via HDMI but if the computer turns off the screen then turns it back on (like when I leave the computer on at night then get up in the morning), the monitor displays "No Input" though the computer appears to recognize that the monitor is in place since the desktop does not change. None of following help: unplugging and replugging HDMI cable; turning off and on the M220NV; cycling through M220NV data inputs. When it loses its link the only thing that makes them talk to each other again is by a power-down-power-up on my notebook. I checked VIZIO, no signs of a firmware upgrade available for this TV.

So far the only thing that makes the monitor work right with my notebook is to use HDMI and set the computer to never turn off the monitor.

Haven't tried to see if the HDMI issue would happen with a DVD/cable box/etc.

Any suggestions to get this to automatically talk to my computer when it turns the screen on (HDMI) or why it says the VGA has "invalid format"?

Given these limitations I can't recommend the M220NV for people who intend this primarily as a computer monitor - at least until these issues can be corrected.
post #14 of 28 Old 07-24-2010, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter
EAS
Advanced Member

Ensure you are setting your secondary monitor setting on your computer to a resolution and color depth supported by the TV.

Curious as to why you might pick this TV to use as a monitor when there are other monitors that would perform better as monitors.
post #15 of 28 Old 07-26-2010, 07:46 AM

I picked this TV/monitor since I am space-constrained (sharing a house so mostly only have a bedroom to myself). Having a TV and monitor all-in-one should be a good solution. I waited for some time for a 22" TV with 1080P resolution and monitor capabilities to come on the market. This is one of the first.

Since my first post, I tried the monitor with my "spare" computer, with the same results, invalid format on VGA. So I get the same results with two different computers and two different VGA cables. I have never had problems with a second monitor on either computer before.

Very frustrating that the TV's HDMI input does not respond after a computer reenergizes the display; and so far unable to link up via VGA.

I tried adjusting VGA resolution, no joy. I think mostly it does not even allow me to adjust it since the computer does not register the VGA as connected (the second monitor is grayed out). Will try that again tonight when I get home. Have routinely used 2nd monitors via VGA with these computers in the past, never a problem.
post #16 of 28 Old 07-26-2010, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
EAS
Advanced Member

I hope you can get it working.

An alternative if you cannot would be to return it and get a proper computer monitor so you can enjoy the higher resolutions etc. To get TV on the monitor you can use any number of TV input devices on your computer. Also, many computer monitors have HDMI inputs these days....
post #17 of 28 Old 07-26-2010, 04:02 PM

I hope you are aware that you can also adjust the refresh rate outputted from your computer to the monitor. insure the refresh and display resolution are of supported formats for your new monitor. ( should have something in the user's manual. )
post #18 of 28 Old 08-29-2010, 09:37 AM

I verified, my computer is set for 1920/1080/60hz, which is the default for this monitor. The M220NV doesn't recognize computers (2 or 3 tried) via 15 pin VGA (RGB) connection. Most of the time the computers don't recognize the M220NV either - sometimes they do but still the M220NV does not show anything (black screen).

Interfacing via HDMI works but is twitchy. Most of the time the M220NV displays the computer OK but sometimes I get a "no signal" which is difficult to clear - usually switching between HDMI inputs works. When interfaced by HDMI the TV does not turn off with the computer's powersave feature. I can turn it off manually though.

Have not tried interfacing the M220NV and computer via video cable yet. Will report that when I try it.

I fundamentally like this TV but due to issues above can't recommend it for people who want to regularly use it as a monitor. For them, it's probably better to buy a 1080p monitor and a USB tuner if needed.

Would love to hear if anyone gets this to interface with computer via VGA inputs, and what it took to make that happen.
post #19 of 28 Old 09-02-2010, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I have cable with no STB. I'm having a problem with the Vizio using the "zoom" setting (from the "Wide" menu) on an analog (4:3) channel; rather than enlarging the screen proportionally (ie horizontally and vertically) to eliminate the side bars, it instead stretches the image horizontally (identical to the "wide setting) The strange thing is if I tune a digital channel which happens to have a 4:3 image, zoom works correctly. I also have a 42" Vizio and its zoom function works perfectly. Vizio tech support is useless. Can anyone here confirm this zoom issue on this set?

Thanks,

Jim
post #20 of 28 Old 09-14-2010, 12:19 PM

I purchased an M220NV last week from Costco. I've been looking for an LED display for my laptop and PS3, and decided to give this Vizio model a try because I can return it to Costco if it doesn't suit my needs. There are alot of extra features that you can't find on a computer monitor, and I like that. On the PS3 it looks great, but when hooked up to my computer (VGA or HDMI) the colors look a little funky. Also, it seems like text is a little harder to read than it should be. Through HDMI, I can clone my laptop display at 1280 x 800, but connected through VGA, the TV won't support that resolution. Also, through HDMI, the colors look even worse, and the text is even harder to read. Through HDMI, it seems like the resolutions are alot more versatile, but through VGA, it seems to be alot more limited. I'll just put it out there for everyone since i have the manual right here, the supported resolutions (for VGA) are: 640 x 480 (60hz,75hz), 800 x 600 (60hz,72hz,75hz) 1024 x 768 (60hz,70hz,75hz), 720 x 400 (70hz) and 1920 x 1080 (60hz) primary mode. I was also wondering if anyone else that has tried this on their computer has an opinion on the color/text quality. I really like the features that this display offers, but if I can get better looking colors and text from an LED monitor like the ASUS ML238H, then I might have to go with that instead.
post #21 of 28 Old 09-19-2010, 03:52 PM

My M220NV - hooked up via HDMI to both computer and cable (DVR) looks great running at 1920/1080. Colors and text look fine. No complaints but I am not the fussiest person for colors. I am fussy about text though as I use this lots for my computer monitor.

Of course, SD TV signals are a little fuzzy but that is to be expected. HD TV looks great.

Can't get it to display with either of 2 good computers connected w/VGA (RBG). Those computers work w/VGA to other monitors. Have not tried hooking up via composite video yet.

Overall - I like this unit - but given my interface problems and it doesn't turn off with computer "powersave", I don't recommend it for people who would use it primarily as a monitor. Get a dedicated monitor and separate computer tuner instead. Then you can also do PIP since this unit does not support PIP that I can find.
post #22 of 28 Old 09-20-2010, 04:29 PM

Thanks bahrainkayaker for the info. I have been looking for someone else's opinion about the color/text quality when hooked up to the computer. I have no other display to compare it against. At first I blamed the color/text quality issues on the tv, but now I'm beginning to suspect that it's my laptop's NVIDIA GeForce 8400m GS that's just not up to par. I am in the process of trying to find an LED monitor for me to test my laptop on, and I'll post my findings if I do. As for your VGA issues, bahrainkayaker, I noticed that the M220NV's VGA resolutions are somewhat limited. If you have the instruction manual, they're listed on page 54. For those other computers that you couldn't get working, try setting the resolutions to one of the Preset PC resolutions listed on page 54 on a different monitor, then once the computer is set to the Vizio supported resolution, try connecting it to the TV, and see if that works. Through HDMI, I was able to get the Vizio to support alot of different resolutions, but through VGA, it was very picky, and the TV would only recognize the specific resolutions listed on page 54 of the instruction manual. It does work fine with VGA, at least with my laptop using an NVIDIA GeForce 8400m GS.
post #23 of 28 Old 10-24-2010, 01:28 PM

I picked this up from Costco as a computer monitor, I am using HDMI from an alienware m17xR2 laptop. At first text was blurry but adjusting the sharpness down to zero fixed that. I am still fussing with the settings, but text is sharp, movies look good. Text seems to be a little glowy though, for example in Google chrome the quick links across the top are blue and seem to glow a bit, but Black text on white background works great.

Any thoughts?
post #24 of 28 Old 10-24-2010, 06:16 PM

I just picked up one of these.
Did you get a bracket to allow you to wall mount? I didn't, even though page 11 of the manual makes it look like it should.
Also, does your remote have a slide out keyboard? I swear when I was researching this it had a keyboard remote. I didn't get one like that.
post #25 of 28 Old 11-01-2010, 03:16 PM

I spent 45 minutes with Vizio customer service. They confirmed there is no wall mount bracket in the box. Even though it is mentioned on page 8 as being part of the box content. There are no holes on the back of the TV to connect to a wall mount without the missing bracket, so I returned the TV.

It seems the fancy keyboard remote is only on the 55 inch version

I suggested they correct the manual or send me a bracket...
post #26 of 28 Old 11-17-2010, 08:37 AM

Picked one up a week and a half ago at Costco, just set it up 2 days ago (waiting on cables). Seems to work fine, had to adjust colors, way off. Have it connected via vga as a monitor and only 1024 x 768 works, all others give the "invalid format" error. Have it hooked to an ATI 3300 chipset. Hopefully Vizio will issue a firmware fix that can remedy this.

Apps seem to work in general, wish there were more, better, and more allowed onscreen.

BTW, mine came with the wall bracket in the box.
post #27 of 28 Old 06-24-2017, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I got one of these for free, non-working, no remote. Failure mode was no activity other than the Vizio logo lighting up orange, briefly going white then blinking orange/white 15 times then repeating forever. I'm thinking it suffered a power failure during a firmware update.

Bought a replacement mainboard off eBay. You cannot switch between Cable and Antenna or edit the channel list without the remote. That's highly annoying that a basic function of an ATSC TV absolutely requires the remote. So I bought one off eBay. Less than $70 total for a 22" 1080p TV is pretty cheap.

The "new" replacement board was used, came with some cable channels programmed and a parental lock code. There's a backdoor code 5351 which enabled a full factory reset. Other Vizio codes are 2489, 8202, 8205, 8206 .It's done a couple of firmware updates. Don't know if it will do any more. Surprising that the server it accesses and the updates are still up after 7~8 years.

There is no manual check for firmware updates. No way to download updates and install from USB. It only updates when it has an internet connection and is "off". If an update has been downloaded, it informs you when you next turn it on, then installs the update and resets itself.

Youtube used to, but no longer works on this model. The widget is not on it. There are still paid streaming widgets on it for Hulu plus, amazon instant video, vudu, Netflix. I don't have any of those services so don't know if they work. Yahoo News widget works but Yahoo Weather always says it can't connect. The flickr widget works but only displays low resolution, fuzzy versions of the images.

There are 48 widgets available in the gallery once you get signed in with Yahoo but 27 of them are for TV news channels in larger American cities, mostly FOX affiliates.

As for logging in to Yahoo Profile your password may be no longer than 16 characters. If your regular Yahoo password is longer than that you'll need to go to Security on your Yahoo account on a computer and enable App Passwords. Make a new App Password, select Other and name it something. I chose Vizio TV. You'll get a 16 character random password, displayed in pieces with spaces. Copy and paste that to a text file - spaces will be gone. Enter that (very tediously) as the password along with your Yahoo ID (minus the @Yahoo .com part) and you're logged in.

The Vizio M220NV is more of a dimwitted than smart TV. If the streaming widgets still work and you have one or more of those services then the internet features will be useful for you. The Yahoo website is far better for their news articles and flickr is downright disappointing.

I've tried the Darts widget and it was unusable because it couldn't connect. Likely whatever service it needs to access no longer exists. The VIA Media Widget can only display still images and play a few audio formats off a FAT16 or FAT32 formatted USB stick - and the stick has to be inserted after the TV is powered on each time. It won't recognize one inserted before the TV is turned on.

It's usefulness as a computer monitor is limited by its inability to turn off the screen or sleep upon lack of signal input to HDMI. It'll just sit there forever displaying NO SIGNAL. I'd hoped the Sleep Timer was for that but nope, that's to engage when you want the TV to shut itself off when you're tired and are in bed or otherwise going to fall asleep. Once it times out it resets to off.

So if you're leaving your computer on and have it set to command the monitor to turn off after a period of no user input - it won't. Likewise it won't auto-sleep when you turn the computer off. So keep the remote handy because reaching around behind to poke the "jag" wheel and turn it off is inconvenient. It's like when I used CRT monitors in the early 90's without DPMS.

I'm using a DVI to HDMI adapter cable. Perhaps a straight HDMI to HDMI connection has working power management functionality?

It's still a rather nice 1080p display and would definitely be suitable for watching video from any HD source. Same goes for use as a computer monitor, other than the need to manually turn it off.

Last edited by bizzybody; 07-16-2017 at 06:41 PM.
post #28 of 28 Old 06-25-2017, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Another day, another overnight firmware update. Now it's VIZIO_C7.0.1.0-S

Amazon and Yahoo Finance widgets are gone. Yahoo Weather widget is now working. Widget Gallery is replaced with Connected TV Store and there's 12 pages of widgets, but only 2 on the last page. 68 apps with 30 in the Local TV category. Nevermind none of them are anywhere near Idaho.
Many new TV news widgets so I installed the FOX 12 Oregon one and watched a video on people going to Seaside to escape the heat in Portland.

I wonder how many more updates will come, or if there will be more? Why can't it just update directly to the latest instead of sequentially going through all of them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page