Official Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 and 60X5 Owners Thread - Page 497 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 43Likes

post #14881 of 14924 Old 05-14-2018, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura View Post
Thanks for trying. It must disable alot- drops input lag by over 1/2 but colors ways off
Yeah not sure what it does, but black level wasn't as good as Movie THX, especially when the menu was displayed. It definitely messes with the local dimming algorithm.

Grayscale was extremely heavy on blue (as it is on Movie THX) and colors were way off.

I can't say it enough, but this TV needs a proper calibration to look its best (plugging in settings from another set doesn't count), otherwise it looks straight up dog poop.

Sharp Elite PRO-70X5FD (Kuro PRO-171FD) x 2
Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M
Pioneer Kuro PRO-111FD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14882 of 14924 Old 05-14-2018, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDude View Post
Have you tried ControlCAL to make your adjustments? Leaves the screen free of menus, just the calibration pattern.

ControlCAL
I did on the Kuro, but ended up developing my own (and superior) version exclusively for Kuro.

Don't really feel like investing in CC, since it's been said that the ISF modes on this set are not superior to Movie THX and calibrating using the remote (iPhone app) is not all that bad. On Movie THX mode the menus don't affect readings whatsoever.

Speaking of remote, a local cell phone repair place that offers microsoldering services repaired my IR board today for $35. Will install later today and report back.

Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M
Pioneer Kuro PRO-111FD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020
post #14883 of 14924 Old 05-14-2018, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveddie81 View Post
I did on the Kuro, but ended up developing my own (and superior) version exclusively for Kuro.

Don't really feel like investing in CC, since it's been said that the ISF modes on this set are not superior to Movie THX and calibrating using the remote (iPhone app) is not all that bad. On Movie THX mode the menus don't affect readings whatsoever.

Speaking of remote, a local cell phone repair place that offers microsoldering services repaired my IR board today for $35. Will install later today and report back.
Aah, another software developer .

How did you get a hold of the APIs?

---------------------------------------
Samsung 75Q9FN, OPPO UDP-205
Win 10 Pro x64 1903
HT Enthusiast Extended Custom WF v19.3.0 - 7/5/2019
HT Enthusiast Essentials Custom WF v1.2.0 - 7/5/2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14884 of 14924 Old 05-14-2018, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDude View Post
Aah, another software developer .

How did you get a hold of the APIs?
I didn't. I simply used visual basic and found the service menu commands on the interwebz (the commands are in full view in the Kuro Control software too).

If I could get my hands on the service menu commands for the Sharp, I'd be able to develop something similar. But not sure if it's worth it.

Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M
Pioneer Kuro PRO-111FD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020
post #14885 of 14924 Old 05-14-2018, 11:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Happy to report that after replacing the two capacitors, my IR board is now working and accepting commands from the remote! So after approximately 3 weeks after purchasing the TV by itself (in pretty poor condition) I now have a complete working set with brand new remote and stand in very good condition after deep cleaning, including taking off back cover and hosing it down, dusting the internals, cleaning the exterior and soaking all back cover screws in warm water.

Attached are pictures of the board after repair, with the replacement capacitors circled red.

Link to replacement capacitors:

https://www.encompassparts.com/item/...2_6.3V_Ceramic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	94FB7C35-8878-4FE5-B4DD-51DC260D91DB.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	2402684  

Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M
Pioneer Kuro PRO-111FD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020
post #14886 of 14924 Old 05-21-2018, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

For those interested in having settings for day and night picture modes, I found that adjusting the backlight does not affect calibration (aside from peak light output of course). So here's Movie THX settings for day and night time viewing.

A 3 tick increase/decrease in the backlight setting equates to a 5 ftl change. STD as a starting point outputs 35 ftl, so adjust at your leisure if you so desire.

I noticed that my set had one green leaf in the backlight setting even in Movie THX mode, where power saving is supposed to be disabled. I was able to get rid of the green leaf by switching to Movie mode (not Movie THX) and setting the power saving function to off then switching back to Movie THX mode.

NIGHT (30 ftl peak light output, 2.4 gamma)

Av mode movie thx
Intelligent variable contrast local dimming on
Opc off
Backlight -3
Contrast 32
Brightness +1
Color 0
Tint 0
Sharpness -1
Cms hue r -2, y +3, g +12, c +1, b -15, m +8
Cms sat r +1, y -8, g +3, c +1, b +14, m -6
Cms val r +7, y 0, g -4, c -11, b -2, m 0
Color temp low
10 point setting off
R lo +13
G lo 0
B lo -22
R hi +11
G hi 0
B hi -26
Motion enhancement off
Precision color plus off
Active contrast off
Gamma adjust -2
Film mode off
Digital noise reduction off
Monochrome off
Range of opc - min 0 max +1

DAY (50 ftl peak light output, 2.2 gamma)

Av mode movie thx
Intelligent variable contrast local dimming on
Opc off
Backlight +9
Contrast 32
Brightness +1
Color 0
Tint 0
Sharpness -1
Cms hue r -2, y +3, g +12, c +1, b -15, m +8
Cms sat r +1, y -8, g +3, c +1, b +14, m -6
Cms val r +7, y 0, g -4, c -11, b -2, m 0
Color temp low
10 point setting off
R lo +13
G lo 0
B lo -22
R hi +11
G hi 0
B hi -26
Motion enhancement off
Precision color plus off
Active contrast off
Gamma adjust 0
Film mode off
Digital noise reduction off
Monochrome off
Range of opc - min 0 max +1
saltydog1318 likes this.

Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M
Pioneer Kuro PRO-111FD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020
post #14887 of 14924 Old 05-26-2018, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_lewis View Post
UPDATE!!! This WORKS!!!! Fixed the PRO70 IR board today by replacing the two bad capacitors per the info I previously posted above - well actually only one capacitor was bad but I replaced both since they are next to each other. one of the caps was shorted internally- see the links below with basic info on how to use a simple multimeter to test for a faulty smd capacitor.

<snip>
Holy hot damn! I finally got around to doing this and my IR board has roared back to life! The caps I ordered finally came in on Wednesday and I got around to the rework today. Note that I did NOT use a hot air rework station, but just a standard pencil soldering iron, some flux, tweezers, and standard solder. I'm not going to say it is my prettiest soldering job, but it definitively works!

The board is relatively easy to get out by just popping the lower right corner like @k_lewis said

Something to note though, my board looked different that k_lewis's.

The caps boxed in red are the same ones. I have the 60" Elite, not sure if k_lewis had a 70 or if there is some other reason the boards looked different. In my case, both caps were dead, so I did replace both of them.

LG B6 65" OLED, Phillips UHD BluRay, Denon AVR-X4000, Chromecast Ultra, Roku Ultra, eD speakers and sub
post #14888 of 14924 Old 05-26-2018, 11:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonvr View Post
Holy hot damn! I finally got around to doing this and my IR board has roared back to life! The caps I ordered finally came in on Wednesday and I got around to the rework today. Note that I did NOT use a hot air rework station, but just a standard pencil soldering iron, some flux, tweezers, and standard solder. I'm not going to say it is my prettiest soldering job, but it definitively works!

The board is relatively easy to get out by just popping the lower right corner like @k_lewis said

Something to note though, my board looked different that k_lewis's.

The caps boxed in red are the same ones. I have the 60" Elite, not sure if k_lewis had a 70 or if there is some other reason the boards looked different. In my case, both caps were dead, so I did replace both of them.
Not sure if you saw my post (2 posts above yours) but the IR board on my 70 inch looks exactly like yours. From what I understand, the board was updated in 2012 models. If you look in the back of the board, you’ll see its build date (mine is 1/2012).

A local cell phone repair shop replaced the capacitors on mine and the board now works. The guy said both capacitors were bad.

Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M
Pioneer Kuro PRO-111FD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020
post #14889 of 14924 Old 05-27-2018, 12:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Not sure if you saw my post (2 posts above yours) but the IR board on my 70 inch looks exactly like yours. From what I understand, the board was updated in 2012 models. If you look in the back of the board, you’ll see its build date (mine is 1/2012).

A local cell phone repair shop replaced the capacitors on mine and the board now works. The guy said both capacitors were bad.
I actually missed your post, but yes, our boards look the same. Unfortunately the place around here that would do the work wanted $129 and that was just too steep. Figured I couldn't make it any worse doing it myself

LG B6 65" OLED, Phillips UHD BluRay, Denon AVR-X4000, Chromecast Ultra, Roku Ultra, eD speakers and sub
post #14890 of 14924 Old 05-27-2018, 12:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonvr View Post
I actually missed your post, but yes, our boards look the same. Unfortunately the place around here that would do the work wanted $129 and that was just too steep. Figured I couldn't make it any worse doing it myself
I personally would have paid whatever it took since I have no soldering experience and, being that these boards are no longer made, its too big of a risk for me. Luckily the place I went to charged me $35 and i was in and out in like 10 minutes.

Not sure if your set is professionally calibrated but the settings that I posted one post above yours are crazy good. It would be cool if you could try them out and report back.

Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M
Pioneer Kuro PRO-111FD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020
post #14891 of 14924 Old 05-27-2018, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I personally would have paid whatever it took since I have no soldering experience and, being that these boards are no longer made, its too big of a risk for me. Luckily the place I went to charged me $35 and i was in and out in like 10 minutes.

Not sure if your set is professionally calibrated but the settings that I posted one post above yours are crazy good. It would be cool if you could try them out and report back.
$35 - I would definitely have done that (I ended up buying a new soldering iron stand and flux which cost somewhere around $15 total, so....)
makaveddie81 likes this.

post #14892 of 14924 Old 07-24-2018, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Smile 3D problem on Sharp Elite PRO-60X5FD

Hello.
I got an used Sharp Elite PRO-60X5FD and trying to play 3D movie.
The original 3D glasses are not charging and I had to wear while connect power.
The 3D is working on DEMO mode but when I try to play 3D movie. It is not working.
. I tried several YOUTUBE 3D channels.
I connect my dell Laptop to HDMI port.
Also, The TV IR remote sensor is broken. So, No remote control. I use an an android APP to control and it is working expect typing(ex, IP address setting.)
I read a repair manual and there is a separate IR sensor to send 3D signal to 3D Glasses. This is why 3D DEMO is working. I think.
Do I have to connect DVD player to watch 3D ?

Thank you for your help.
post #14893 of 14924 Old 08-05-2018, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So my 70 inch Elite decided to not power on last week and the standby LED wasn’t on either.

Took the back panel off and used my multimeter to measure standby voltage coming out of the power supply board (5th pin from top to bottom on connector that goes from power supply to main board). Multimeter recorded no standby voltage.

Bought a replacement power supply board on eBay and slapped it on last night. Measured standby voltage and got a healthy 4.90 volts.

TV now powers on but standby light is not working anymore. Checked the IR board which is where the LED is located at. Its actually two LEDs, a blue one for power (which still works) and a red one for standby. Since its two separate LEDs my best guess is the red standby LED burnt out since it was iilluminated for a long time.

Absolutely love this TV and it’s going to take an irreparable fault for me to get rid of it.

Hope this helps others who run into this issue.

Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M
Pioneer Kuro PRO-111FD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020
post #14894 of 14924 Old 11-20-2018, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Hi, how can I check the software version on this tv? And what is the latest.. My YouTube app won't go pass the main screen.. It just displays the word YouTube.. Is there any newer firmware released since they went offline, perhaps for USB download? Thanks.
post #14895 of 14924 Old 11-20-2018, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound & Vision View Post
Hi, how can I check the software version on this tv? And what is the latest.. My YouTube app won't go pass the main screen.. It just displays the word YouTube.. Is there any newer firmware released since they went offline, perhaps for USB download? Thanks.
I find it best to just slap a Roku on it, this TV is about the picture...
post #14896 of 14924 Old 11-20-2018, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Get a Roku or Apple TV. I don't think I've ever used the built-in apps once. all my displays have a roku so the experience is consistent and easy to upgrade.
post #14897 of 14924 Old 11-20-2018, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentElite View Post
I find it best to just slap a Roku on it, this TV is about the picture...
I 'm using a firestick on it... I have the 60".. It's my bedroom TV... I just wanted to see if the built in Youtube app worked.. On my mine it does not.. I believe my software is 2.19.. Just curious if others experianced the same when trying Youtube app and if a newer software was available higher than 2.19... Youtube works great on my firestick.. But that is not the point of my post.. Yes, the picture is outstanding... If this TV ever dies it will be hard to replace... I will probably get a LG OLED.
post #14898 of 14924 Old 11-20-2018, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I 'm using a firestick on it... I have the 60".. It's my bedroom TV... I just wanted to see if the built in Youtube app worked.. On my mine it does not.. I believe my software is 2.19.. Just curious if others experianced the same when trying Youtube app and if a newer software was available higher than 2.19... Youtube works great on my firestick.. But that is not the point of my post.. Yes, the picture is outstanding... If this TV ever dies it will be hard to replace... I will probably get a LG OLED.
Been down that road. the Sony X940e is your best bet. i have one, and I still have the 70x5. the OLEDs still suffer from judder / not worth the extended price tag. The x940e is incredible. What makes me laugh is that to this day, the 70x5 - even at 1080p - looks better than a majority of 4k sets presently on the market.

real fail on Sharp/Elite's part to simply scrap the tech. they would be getting huge money for subsequent iterations of this model - can you imagine this display updated and released in 4k?

Roku is the presently best on the market for all in one boxes.
post #14899 of 14924 Old 11-20-2018, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Been down that road. the Sony X940e is your best bet. i have one, and I still have the 70x5. the OLEDs still suffer from judder / not worth the extended price tag. The x940e is incredible. What makes me laugh is that to this day, the 70x5 - even at 1080p - looks better than a majority of 4k sets presently on the market.

real fail on Sharp/Elite's part to simply scrap the tech. they would be getting huge money for subsequent iterations of this model - can you imagine this display updated and released in 4k?

Roku is the presently best on the market for all in one boxes.
The Sony x940e huh.. . I'll have to check it out.. I know, Sharp should have continued with a 4k HDR model.. The Elite series really brought credibility back to the Sharp brand.. I agree, the picture is still stunning even after all these years. 😊
post #14900 of 14924 Old 11-22-2018, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2316 Post(s)
Liked: 912
Agreed. I replaced it in my main room with a 75” Sony z9d. But the 70” sharp is still awesome in the bedroom

DocACE911 on Steam, XBOX, PS4
"Kill Cancer or Die"
Custom Z9 Game Settings For SDR and HDR
Sony 75" Z9, Denon X4200, Definitive Technologies BP7002 + 9.1 ATMOS, PSV 18" sub
Loving Wife and 4 year old Son who tolerate this expense!
post #14901 of 14924 Old 12-26-2018, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have the 70 and I need some help enabling Dolby audio for optical out. The manual says it’s a setting in input terminal settings but I don’t see it there, all I have is input skip,hdmi setup, and output select.

Do I need a new firmware? I tried internet but it doesn’t work, I’m assuming the servers are offline
post #14902 of 14924 Old 12-27-2018, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelik View Post
I have the 70 and I need some help enabling Dolby audio for optical out. The manual says it’s a setting in input terminal settings but I don’t see it there, all I have is input skip,hdmi setup, and output select.

Do I need a new firmware? I tried internet but it doesn’t work, I’m assuming the servers are offline

From the internal Netflix app or ARC? it only does stereo over ARC. You really need a shield or Apple TV -> receiver > tv

"Kill Cancer or Die"
Sony 75" Z9, Denon X4200, Definitive Technologies BP7002 + 9.1 ATMOS, PSV 18" sub
post #14903 of 14924 Old 12-27-2018, 05:36 PM

From my appletv > elite > receiver. My receiver is old and doesn’t have HDMI inputs. I was hoping the elite can, like my other TVs, output Dolby through the optical. The manual for the elite says it’s a setting in the menus but it’s missing in my unit.
post #14904 of 14924 Old 12-27-2018, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelik View Post
From my appletv > elite > receiver. My receiver is old and doesn’t have HDMI inputs. I was hoping the elite can, like my other TVs, output Dolby through the optical. The manual for the elite says it’s a setting in the menus but it’s missing in my unit.

It won't work. It will outly do DD from internal apps.

"Kill Cancer or Die"
post #14905 of 14924 Old 06-13-2019, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

For anyone who's still roaming this thread - I scooped up another 70 inch Elite which had a bad IR board. Replaced the two suspected capacitors and the board came back to life. Love this TV!

Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M
Pioneer Kuro PRO-111FD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020
post #14906 of 14924 Old 06-13-2019, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
For anyone who's still roaming this thread - I scooped up another 70 inch Elite which had a bad IR board. Replaced the two suspected capacitors and the board came back to life. Love this TV!
nicely done- the fix is easy to do with the correct capacitors and a hot air soldering rig. my 70&quot; is still going strong and pulls main theater duty in the living room at my vacation home. Guests still pay compliment to it when they see it. I do not feel I am missing much at all as compared to my newer Sony 4k. The Elite is such a phenomenal TV and is still very relevant in terms of HD PQ. It is a plain shame Sharp/Elite never revived the line in this stronger economy- can you imagine the Elite in a 80&quot;/90&quot; 4k or upcoming 8k??? ;-) I would pay that price tag!
makaveddie81 likes this.
post #14907 of 14924 Old 06-13-2019, 09:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
nicely done- the fix is easy to do with the correct capacitors and a hot air soldering rig. my 70" is still going strong and pulls main theater duty in the living room at my vacation home. Guests still pay compliment to it when they see it. I do not feel I am missing much at all as compared to my newer Sony 4k. The Elite is such a phenomenal TV and is still very relevant in terms of HD PQ. It is a plain shame Sharp/Elite never revived the line in this stronger economy- can you imagine the Elite in a 80"/90" 4k or upcoming 8k??? &#x1f609; I would pay that price tag!
I paid someone to do it since I’m not good with a solder. Took him like 5 minutes.

I’m starting to hoard these sets just like I did with the Kuro. Have two 70s and would love to add a 60 for bedroom duties.

Agreed these are still awesome sets and I prefer them over the Kuros. A 90 inch 4K version would be bananas.

Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M
Pioneer Kuro PRO-111FD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020
post #14908 of 14924 Old 06-16-2019, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
nicely done- the fix is easy to do with the correct capacitors and a hot air soldering rig. my 70&quot; is still going strong and pulls main theater duty in the living room at my vacation home. Guests still pay compliment to it when they see it. I do not feel I am missing much at all as compared to my newer Sony 4k. The Elite is such a phenomenal TV and is still very relevant in terms of HD PQ. It is a plain shame Sharp/Elite never revived the line in this stronger economy- can you imagine the Elite in a 80&quot;/90&quot; 4k or upcoming 8k??? ;-) I would pay that price tag!
Still going strong here as we'll.... I have the 60" version in my bedroom.. Exceptional picture.. I wish they didn't kill off firmware support so early.. It would have been nice to have the apps (like Netflix) updated to the latest versions. 😀🍿🍿🍿
post #14909 of 14924 Old 06-17-2019, 01:42 AM
VFX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My 70" was wrapped in plastic wrap and stored deep in a dry, heated storage unit for 5 years.
I just moved it out and have been watching the set for the past week. It works perfectly and looks fantastic.

The ISF calibration information held and my collection looks amazing.
I've been re-watching favourite films from the last few years ( which I watched on a 54" Panasonic plasma ) and it's like seeing them for the first time.
makaveddie81 likes this.
post #14910 of 14924 Old 06-17-2019, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Still going strong here as we'll.... I have the 60&quot; version in my bedroom.. Exceptional picture.. I wish they didn't kill off firmware support so early.. It would have been nice to have the apps (like Netflix) updated to the latest versions. 😀🍿🍿🍿
Yeh- I switched to Roku devices uniformly on all TVs some time ago. with TV mfr's playing 'pass the potato' on who's got the best new picture quality and screen size, it was the only way to maintain a familiar experience for the family. I have a mix of Samsung, Sony and the Elite. Now I no longer need to worry about updating apps in TVs and no one is asking me "hey how do i access netflix etc" or "hey the TV app is not working".
makaveddie81 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Elite Black 70inch Pro 70x5fd Flat Panel 3d Led Hdtv , Sharp Elite Pro 60x5fd 3d Led Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page