HELP!! Audio Return Channel - Samsung UN46D7000 + Denon AVR-1912 - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 51 Old 10-19-2013, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3447 Post(s)
Liked: 2506
OTA (Over The Air) refers to television reception using an antenna, either indoors or mounted outside on your rooftop (like mine is). You are limited by terrain and distance to the transmission towers for quality of reception. Just like the old days of analog tv before cable and satellite. Depending on your service area, you can receive lots, or just a few, HDTV stations with very little compression as compared to pay-tv (cable/sat). No premium stations like HBO, just local affiliates. At least that's how it is over here on this side of the pond.

It sounds like the iPlayer isn't compatible or is just unable to send audio to your tv. Is iPlayer a standalone STB (Set Top Box) or are you using it thru your computer?

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 Old 10-20-2013, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a an aerial input to my TV where I pick up a number of digital channels OTA. No sound when trying to output to the amp.
The iPlayer is an app on the Smart TV. It does not output sound either.
I have the speakers set to External. No sound from any of the Apps on the Smart Hub at all.
Thank you for your input to date.
Must be somebody that had the same problem or I am doing something really stupid ?
post #33 of 51 Old 10-20-2013, 12:35 PM

If you are capturing your television via an OTA antenna, you are using the internal ATSC tuner. I'm assuming you scanned for stations using the Antenna and not the Cable option. In either case, you need to use an optical cable to output the audio to your receiver if you want discrete 5.1 audio when broadcast. You also need to make sure that you select the correct input on the receiver for "television". If the iPlayer is a SmartApp, the same holds true. You should probably use an optical cable because it sounds like ARC won't work for that scenario. Like I said, i don't use ARC (or CEC for that matter) because they seem to be too much of a hassle with compatibility. I'd rather use an optical for my television viewing which, for me, is much cleaner and simpler. I just have an extra cable to tuck nicely behind my media console.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 51 Old 10-20-2013, 01:59 PM

Hi Otto,

Thanks again.
I will get an optical cable and try and pull it with another cable, 20m, in order to avoid damage to the optical.
What do I use of the amp to select the TV options. Hope not a strange question as the signal is being passed from the TV to the amp via the HDMI output.
post #35 of 51 Old 10-20-2013, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 15
In order to even start figuring this out- what does the receiver need to be set at to play the Arc audio? Help!

Panasonic tcps65s64
Denon avr 1912
post #36 of 51 Old 10-20-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebre View Post

Hi Otto,

Thanks again.
I will get an optical cable and try and pull it with another cable, 20m, in order to avoid damage to the optical.
What do I use of the amp to select the TV options. Hope not a strange question as the signal is being passed from the TV to the amp via the HDMI output.

You won't damage the cable if it's well made and you pull slowly. Just keep the caps on the ends of the optical cable intact until you're ready to plug the cable in, then take the caps off and plug away. On my receiver, one of the input options is TV, so I just select that and it takes the audio signal from the internal ATSC tuner and passes that onto the receiver. The video is displayed via the Antenna coax input and the ATSC tuner. 20m is a really long cable. That's 60'. If you are using passive HDMI cables they are certified for compliance to only about 25' (8m). Your receive manual should explain how to use the inputs and for what kind of source.

My receiver has 4 High Speed HDMI inputs ,1 High Speed HDMI output., and 1 optical input. The tv has 3 High Speed HDMI inputs and one optical output. I don't use the component/composite inputs/outputs of the receiver or tv. Why ARC doesn't work is a mystery. ARC should allow you to at least send the audio/video from the internal ATSC tuner to the receiver but.......

post #37 of 51 Old 10-20-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwl001 View Post

In order to even start figuring this out- what does the receiver need to be set at to play te Arc audio? Help!

Panasonic tcps65s64
Denon avr 1912

That should be in the Denon manual. Just keep in mind that both connected devices, receiver and tv have to be ARC capable. Otherwise, the HDMI acts like any other HDMI connection, one way only.
mwl001 likes this.

post #38 of 51 Old 10-21-2013, 09:12 AM

Got it to work, accidentally... shut the receiver off and back on (Viera link needed to be on) and it worked. I'll have to figure out how to make this work with the Harmony, but the hardest part is solved I think.
post #39 of 51 Old 10-21-2013, 09:53 AM

Great! I like to keep my setup as simple as possible so I don't use CEC, which seems to confuse things at times. I use an old Harmony 880 with my system and it works perfectly. Does take a bit of programming to set it up the way you want it but there's lots of help in the Remotes Forum.

post #40 of 51 Old 10-21-2013, 12:53 PM

accidentally !

Like that !

Went into the Tools menu on the Samsung and there is an Anynet+ menu. It searches for a device but cannot find the Receiver. Strange as I was connect to the Receiver a couple of days ago as I has the Receiver volume control on the TV.Using the System menu, and scrolling to Anynet+,menu, it shows the Receiver as off.
Is there anybody who has the same Denon 1912.
Many thanks to all who have contributed !
post #41 of 51 Old 10-21-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
[ On my receiver, one of the input options is TV, so I just select that and it takes the audio signal from the internal ATSC tuner and passes that onto the receiver/QUOTE]

Quote:

Otto, Wondering why does the TV option on the Receiver work for you as there is nothing connected to it. The HDMI ARC on the TV is connected to the output ARC on the Receiver.
post #42 of 51 Old 10-21-2013, 02:17 PM

On my receiver ( Yamaha), the video is displayed on the TV for OTA broadcasts via the internal ATSC tuner. The audio is sent to the receiver via optical and I've labeled that input TV so when I press "Watch TV" on my Harmony remote, the receiver turns on, selects AV1 input (which is what the optical cable is connected to), and turns on the tv to the correct tv input (which in this case is the Ant/Cable coax input on the back of the tv). So when I watch television, the only signal sent to the avr is the audio coming from the ATSC tuner via optical. For the AppleTV 2 and the blu-ray player, the opposite is true. The Harmony turns on the receiver, selects the correct input (blu-ray player, AppleTV2), plays the audio thru the receiver and sends the video to the tv via the single HDMI out.

post #43 of 51 Old 10-21-2013, 03:41 PM

You have to turn on HDMI control in your Denon menu, and turn on the HDMI link (whatever the proprietary name is) for the TV, it's VieraLink for mine. I would set the input on the Denon to "last", since I don't know how setting it to anything else helps you, and apparently this allows the receiver to automatically tune to the TV "input". This is crucial since I don't know of any other way than starting up the receiver to get it to move to that "input". It's possible it will default back if all inputs are turned off but I can't confirm that.
post #44 of 51 Old 10-21-2013, 04:28 PM

^^^^ that's why I don't like using CEC or whatever. It's just so much easier to use a Harmony remote for one button operation for whatever you need to do.

post #45 of 51 Old 10-22-2013, 02:43 AM

Otto & mwl001,

Thank you both for your input. I see now what you mean by "watch TV".
I have. a Harmony 1100 and I will get round to that when I get sound.
I will follow the advice on "last" settings.
If that does not work, I will bring the Amp beside the TV and get in working in that position.
Hopefully that will resolve the matter.
Will keep you all updated.
post #46 of 51 Old 03-11-2014, 02:57 AM

Hi all.
Instead of starting a new thread I came across this one that is related to my problems.
I have a Samsung LED F8000 and Denon X2000. I have managed to get ARC working between the two but the issues include 1. The audio link being inconsistent for example watching a movie via network on the samsung with sound via the ARV. If I stop the movie and go back to the smart hub the sound is gone. 2. How do i get the denon to default to TV when exiting another source? 3. There are more issues but this is the main 2 for now.
I realise my questions may be vague to some but I will be glad to answer questions in order to make it more clear.
post #47 of 51 Old 04-12-2014, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanyoung View Post

i am currently having the same problem I have a Samsung UN46D7000 and a Denon 1912. I am able to get Netflix to play through my receiver but the only problem i'm havving is when i try to watch cable tv. After about 5 seconds of my TV, Cable box and receiver being turned on the receiver switches to the "TV" input and my signal from the cable box dissapears. To fix this I need to change the input on my receiver back to "cable", is their a way to fix this? Thanks

I'm having this same problem and can't seem to figure it out. Even with a few of the suggestions given. I have the X3000 hooked to a 60" samsung 7100 and Directv. It's all in a cabinet so I want to use one remote (Directv) via RF to turn everything on and off and control the volume. It's all working fine, except when it's off and I want to turn it on...it all turns on then the AVR changes to TV and I lose sound. Any new suggestions I am missing?
post #48 of 51 Old 04-12-2014, 02:59 PM

This is a common problem with ARC/CEC and seems to happen more with Samsung tv's but is not necessarily unique to Samsung's. Other mfrs have the similar issues.

The problem appears to be with the way CEC is implemented. Not all of CECs protocols are required (standardized) and some are optional. It's the optional part that causes the incompatibilities because not all devices use the same CEC protocols, hence the problem. While ARC and CEC are separate features, It's usually the CEC part that causes the problems. Some mfrs may have firmware updates but quite often they don't so you're stuck. It's impossible to tell which CEC hardware is causing the problem. The Samsung, the Denon, or what ever. One of the features in the new HDMI 2.0 standard is something called CEC Extensions. That eliminates the optional parts of CEC and requires the mfr to enable all of the protocols associated with CEC. But that will require new hardware (chip sets) which aren't ready yet.

post #49 of 51 Old 05-05-2015, 09:38 PM

Liked: 0
Denon x3000 HDMI Issue

I have kind of same problem too. I am trying to connect my x3000 with tv for the first time. My TV is LG 50PN45000. It connected for a while, showing AVR's set up menu. After that there's nothing, It simply displays no signal or "no signal for current input device. Try other available input device".
Can anyone help please? This is killing all the excitement i had
post #50 of 51 Old 10-31-2015, 05:38 PM

Liked: 0
HDMI ARC vs Optical

I have a Denon AVR X7200W and a Samsung HS65JU7000
To use the HDMI ARC you must connect HDMI4 on the TV to HDMI o/p 1
On the TV check the Sound o/p is set to HDMI
On the Denon, go to Settings>Video and set the HDMI control to ON.
Set the Audio Output to AVR if you want to use the AVR Speakers
The sound will now work and you'll have the additional facility of controlling both devices through the HDMI
There is a drawback in some CoDecs can't be transferred through ARC (There are other posts dealing with this)
Now you'll experience a problem: there are intrinsic incompatibilities between HDMI ARC, CEC and >1.4a; it will manifest itself as momentary dropouts in sound and an overall instability in sound.
This can be solved in the short term by rebooting the Denon
The best solution is to connect the TV to the Denon through a decent Optical cable.
Now you have full facility sound but you will have to use both remote controls unless you use a Harmony or similar
Hope this helps...
post #51 of 51 Old 11-01-2015, 08:58 AM

What you are describing is a very common problem across all mfrs because of the poor implementation of ARC/CEC, specifically CEC. There are no current standards for CEC so any mfr is free to choose the CEC options they want so incompatibilities occur, even within the same mfr. Usually when CEC has issues, it also affects ARC and the problems don't always manifest themselves right away. The only advantage of ARC is the elimination of an optical cable. Both are limited to 5.1 audio only. They can not carry HD Audio (Dolby TrueHD, DTS-MA, etc). Until ARC/CEC is standardized with HDMI 2.0, and all mfrs are using the same HDMI 2.0 chipsets, the problems will remain. Most of us have done away with ARC/CEC and use an optical cable for ATSC and/or SmartApps and a Harmony for full control of the HTS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un46d7000 46 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page