Official 2014 Vizio Exxx-Bx Series owners thread - Page 92 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 71Likes

post #2731 of 3606 Old 09-19-2014, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6571 Post(s)
Liked: 6340
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post
Burn in? That's the only plasma complaint you have? every single plasma i've owned has had dirty whites(Whites are pure white on the Vizio E), a dim picture(Vizio E can produce CRT-level brightness) and agressive ABL...Then you have IR, more screen glare(ect) Burn in out of these issues is the least of my worries. :P

i shall have my new 55" on the 27nth hehe. Turning off Active LED lights(to get rid of the weird banding/outline around characters/objects and the artificial-like wax face look) and adjusting the PQ to give the illusion that the gamma is closer to 2.2(ect) will be top priority. :P I hope the difference in blacks truley is only subtle between active led lights being off and on....

That aside, The Vizio E's main two issues will no doubt be viewing angles and weaker motion resolution Vs a plasma.

When calibrated (as most Tvs can be) they all have the same white, what you are referring to most likely is the luminance that makes the TV look "dim" and thus "dirty" to you. White is White and when calibrated would measure the same between sets the only difference being the luminance of said panel. Also most people that say PLasmas have "dirty" whites are used to a picture that pushes white too blue which makes you think its more pure when actually its not white you are looking at
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2732 of 3606 Old 09-19-2014, 10:49 AM
SPJ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 12
[QUOTE=WaveBoy;27543449]

i shall have my new 55" on the 27nth hehe. Turning off Active LED lights(to get rid of the weird banding/outline around characters/objects and the artificial-like wax face look) and adjusting the PQ to give the illusion that the gamma is closer to 2.2(ect) will be top priority. :P I hope the difference in blacks truley is only subtle between active led lights being off and on....

The blacks will suffer some. The biggest difference will be the native contrast ratio, which is the entire purpose of the local dimming feature in the first place. Without a good local dimming system, you won't get the benefit of a greater native contrast ratio.
post #2733 of 3606 Old 09-19-2014, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can an owner of an E-series tv help me out regarding using the USB media player.

I'm thinking of using this as a monitor for digital signage and wanted to know if the USB player can loop mp4 files? Or play a selection of files continuously?

Thanks,

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2734 of 3606 Old 09-19-2014, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrandt View Post
...I'm thinking of using this as a monitor for digital signage and wanted to know if the USB player can loop mp4 files? Or play a selection of files continuously?
No, in fact I don't see a way to do playlists either.

🔥🔥🔥 Sent from my Samsung Note 7 Using Ove Glove™ 🔥🔥🔥
post #2735 of 3606 Old 09-20-2014, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Schucks. Thanks.
post #2736 of 3606 Old 09-20-2014, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I bought a Vizio E420-B1 from Amazon (via a third party seller) that was dead on arrival (no power). I understand that These Things Happen, but I can't help feeling a little gun-shy now. Do I try again with this same model, or jump ship for a comparably-priced competitor? The only other serious competition at this (super-budget) price point seems to be from LG and Sharp, unless I'm missing an obvious alternative....
post #2737 of 3606 Old 09-20-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I get the feeling. Depending on what, if any, troubleshooting you tried... (along with if the item was new,used,rebuilt,previously opened,etc.) it might have been bad batteries,bad contacts, bad remote,stuck power button, bad power cord, loose power connector, etc.. Or the Delivery Service dropped it and broke it. Could really happen with anything you buy.

If the price is right and you like a particular model... go for it. Just maybe look into getting it from a different source/delivery service. Might get you a TV from a different batch and delivery person... might have better luck.
post #2738 of 3606 Old 09-20-2014, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanChan View Post
I bought a Vizio E420-B1 from Amazon (via a third party seller) that was dead on arrival (no power). I understand that These Things Happen, but I can't help feeling a little gun-shy now. Do I try again with this same model, or jump ship for a comparably-priced competitor? The only other serious competition at this (super-budget) price point seems to be from LG and Sharp, unless I'm missing an obvious alternative....
I think you are the first person that I remember anyway, that got the tv, and everything looked OK, but the tv was DOA. So, it's far from a common problem. I would personally give it another try. But if you are really worried, get it from a store you can return it to.

Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3, 950watts, Intel 3770k, 32gb ram, 34tb, Sli Nvidia 480, THX Sound Card, Logitech THX z906 Speakers, E600i-b3, Yamaha v375, Cerwin Vega VS150, VS120, L7's, and Klipsch 2.2
post #2739 of 3606 Old 09-20-2014, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fertacrit View Post
well after going through troubleshooting chats with Vizio.com, they are sending a tech out to fix it in the next few days, as the problem persists. We will see what happens
Please keep us updated on this. My 60" is having issues. Sometimes it will do it 3 times in 30 minutes, sometimes it does do it for hours.
post #2740 of 3606 Old 09-20-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertacrit View Post
well after going through troubleshooting chats with Vizio.com, they are sending a tech out to fix it in the next few days, as the problem persists. We will see what happens
Having the same issue on my 60. Just called, and the guy thinks it's a backlight issue since I can still hear sound through the tv from my external speaker. Ugh.
post #2741 of 3606 Old 09-20-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceblast View Post
I think you are the first person that I remember anyway, that got the tv, and everything looked OK, but the tv was DOA. So, it's far from a common problem. I would personally give it another try. But if you are really worried, get it from a store you can return it to.
It's too bad there seems to be long long-term data on the longevity/reliability of HDTVs. The models and technologies get shuffled so constantly that I don't think anybody views them as a long-term investment. But for us poor folks, we have to have something that'll last a while. I still have a 13-year-old 27" Philips that's hanging in there, thankfully.
post #2742 of 3606 Old 09-20-2014, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
It's too bad there seems to be long long-term data on the longevity/reliability of HDTVs. The models and technologies get shuffled so constantly that I don't think anybody views them as a long-term investment. But for us poor folks, we have to have something that'll last a while. I still have a 13-year-old 27" Philips that's hanging in there, thankfully.

Yeah, I know what you mean, that's why I invested in the five year warranty. In the hopes that I'll have five years with my new TV. There's a good chance that the Oculus Rift will be coming out next year, and then my new TV, might be collecting dust from then on. Because VR is going to change the world, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3, 950watts, Intel 3770k, 32gb ram, 34tb, Sli Nvidia 480, THX Sound Card, Logitech THX z906 Speakers, E600i-b3, Yamaha v375, Cerwin Vega VS150, VS120, L7's, and Klipsch 2.2
post #2743 of 3606 Old 09-21-2014, 02:40 AM

Hi, i have a VIZIO E400i-B2 and i'm looking for some good ps 4 settings. I prefer cool temperature settings, I'm fairly happy with the default calibrated setting but I'd like to try an alternative that isn't so bright.
post #2744 of 3606 Old 09-21-2014, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
E420-B1 cheaper at walmart today.
good luck

Sony XBR75X850D
Sharp LC-80UQ17U
Sharp 60LE650U
Vizio E600i-B3
the most important reading you might ever do.
http://fredsitelive.com/books/religion/genescott.htm
post #2745 of 3606 Old 09-21-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmadworld View Post
E420-B1 cheaper at walmart today.
good luck
Thanks. I also see that the E420i-B0 is available in some places for not much more than this model. I don't really need a smart TV, since my Blu-Ray player can do the streaming stuff for me, but I wonder if it might be worth it to get the local dimming.....?
post #2746 of 3606 Old 09-21-2014, 11:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by smodak View Post
I am still not entirely happy.

Few main issues that I have now
1. 11 point WB settings are not sticking. Perhaps this is fixable by a firmware update.
2. Gamma looks out of whack making the pictures look a bit washed out
3. Main issue: The dark areas look blue. Anytime there is a blue in the scene it pops. People wearing dark suit looks navy. This is even more obvious off-axis. I might have to bite the bullet and fire up my calman with S3 to see if I can correct this. None of the posted calibrations correct this.
4. The pictures look on the cooler side and I am missing my XBR910 tube TV's calibrated warm picture. It seems to me that the TV is dominated with blues and sometime yellow-greens and the reds are virtually missing.
5. Since the firmware update, the blacks have become deeper but it would seem that the black details are lost.

This TV's color palette looks out whack to me.

Of course a full calibration might correct it but I am not sure I can achieve a good gamma without using the 11 point tuner.
The gamma does indeed look washed out. I won't have my 55" until the end of the month, but if i'm not satisfyed with the gamma by eye balling it & tinkering around with certain settings i'm going to look into getting a meter in order to get 2.2.
post #2747 of 3606 Old 09-22-2014, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,

Apologies if this has already been addressed. I saw the questioned asked at the very beginning of the thread but did not spot an answer. Basically, can anyone confirm how this TV (specifically the E500i-B1) handles 1080i/50 (or 1080p/25) and similar European material? I have moved to Canada from Scotland and so have 99% R2 DVDs. I have brought my Sony BDP with me for playing back my DVDs but need assurance this tv would play back the 50 frames per second signal.

Thanks,
Alastair
post #2748 of 3606 Old 09-22-2014, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Got my 70" in today! Looks great. But boy does it have a less-than-sturdy stand! But it'll be going on the wall this week.

Looks great! Colors aren't super deep, blacks aren't inky and the contrast is so so. But; for crying out loud, I paid less than a lot of much smaller panels. (MUCH smaller).

I bought it for a couple of primary reasons;

1) Cost for size. I wanted big. I sit far back, in a brightly lit living room. A big, bright panel was a must.

2) Matte finish, and all the reviews indicate it has excellent bright-room performance. And it certainly does. With lots of windows in my living room, during the day, that sucker really has to compete.

The performance competing against midday sun streaming through lots of big windows is great! And the LED backlighting is pleasant at night with the lights off. My old TV I could not watch without a light on. Even at lower brightness settings, the old CCFL backlighting was harsh and uncomfortable on my eyes.

All in all, a great panel! Especially for the price.
post #2749 of 3606 Old 09-22-2014, 09:45 PM

Quick update:

Just got done with a quick-n-dirty AVS709HD "Calibration", and it looks even better now!
post #2750 of 3606 Old 09-22-2014, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by romans5.8 View Post
Quick update:

Just got done with a quick-n-dirty AVS709HD "Calibration", and it looks even better now!
Would you say it addressed some of your issues? Just curious, going up another 10" I could see issues being more noticeable, but I believe the 70" has the same panel as the 60" so I wouldn't think there'd be drastic differences. I've monkeyed around with settings a bit and I think when tweaked the colors (though still a bit off) look good and the blacks are pretty solid for an LCD.

My only annoyance is there seems to be a variation, meaning especially between sources that I tend to wind up changing the picture a bit depending on if I'm gaming, watching a blu ray, running my PC, streaming from my PC etc (though to be fair any movies on my HDD there is likely as large a variation in quality of the rips). It's more though the color and cool, normal, warm setting I play with depending on what I'm watching and the source/quality. I don't necessarily blame the TV for that though, because at minimum a large part of that has to be because of my eyes/preference and the quality of the feed/source/rip/etc.
post #2751 of 3606 Old 09-22-2014, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suppaman View Post
Would you say it addressed some of your issues? Just curious, going up another 10" I could see issues being more noticeable, but I believe the 70" has the same panel as the 60" so I wouldn't think there'd be drastic differences. I've monkeyed around with settings a bit and I think when tweaked the colors (though still a bit off) look good and the blacks are pretty solid for an LCD.

My only annoyance is there seems to be a variation, meaning especially between sources that I tend to wind up changing the picture a bit depending on if I'm gaming, watching a blu ray, running my PC, streaming from my PC etc (though to be fair any movies on my HDD there is likely as large a variation in quality of the rips). It's more though the color and cool, normal, warm setting I play with depending on what I'm watching and the source/quality. I don't necessarily blame the TV for that though, because at minimum a large part of that has to be because of my eyes/preference and the quality of the feed/source/rip/etc.
Well I wouldn't really say I HAVE issues, to be honest. At least not for what I paid and for what's pretty decent performance given the less-than-stellar viewing environment (bright and open).

The backlighting is fairly inconsistent (local dimming off of course). No amount of calibration will fix that. And there's not a tremendous amount of 'depth' to the picture. Though some of that can be fixed with some decent calibration.

Naturally, nothing beats a real, professional calibration. But what DOES beat "eyeballing it" is some test patterns. The AVS709 patterns are easy. Burn them to a DVD (Or Blu Ray if you're so inclined and so equipped); and fire up your blu-ray player and calibrate. Using the "professional settings" window under 'Picture Settings" you should be able to create multiple profiles. I did the same, for example; for gaming I have contrast and colors a little exaggerated. Beyond what would be 'correct' or 'accurate'; but to a setting that's more pleasing for 60fps 3D animated content. And I generally like vivid/exaggerated color profiles ofr gaming. You could also 'mount' the ISO (use MagicDisc; it's free) onto your PC; play it on your PC and make another profile for your PC. And so forth! Your PC especially is likely to throw things off because it'll have it's own color profiles and it's own way of handling video content. Whereas a Blu-Ray player or Gaming console is going to do a lot less 'meddling' with your content and will rely on your display panel to do the work. (When you calibrate a display on a PC; generally you don't do much of anything to the display itself except for maybe brightness/contrast settings. Most of the changes are made in the OS!)

I'd also investigate maybe calibrating your color profiles on your PC using test patterns, and calibrate it inside your OS (Windows requires some additional software I believe; you'll have to research. I mostly use Mac except for gaming; and I just haven't worried about calibration for gaming). That way you don't need multiple calibration profiles on the TV itself. (So calibrate it based on your test patterns running through your blu-ray player first; then calibrate the PC so that it's output renders properly on the TV; if that makes sense).
post #2752 of 3606 Old 09-23-2014, 03:58 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Anyone know what the latest firmware for the E400i-B2 is? I just got it and this morning I saw for a split second that there was an update... TV turned off before I could read it, I had to power it back on with the remote. Haven't seen the update screen again and don't know if it actually updated. Thanks for the help!

Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme but it will only add to the overall beauty of my message.
post #2753 of 3606 Old 09-23-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Well I wouldn't really say I HAVE issues, to be honest. At least not for what I paid and for what's pretty decent performance given the less-than-stellar viewing environment (bright and open).

The backlighting is fairly inconsistent (local dimming off of course). No amount of calibration will fix that. And there's not a tremendous amount of 'depth' to the picture. Though some of that can be fixed with some decent calibration.

Naturally, nothing beats a real, professional calibration. But what DOES beat "eyeballing it" is some test patterns. The AVS709 patterns are easy. Burn them to a DVD (Or Blu Ray if you're so inclined and so equipped); and fire up your blu-ray player and calibrate. Using the "professional settings" window under 'Picture Settings" you should be able to create multiple profiles. I did the same, for example; for gaming I have contrast and colors a little exaggerated. Beyond what would be 'correct' or 'accurate'; but to a setting that's more pleasing for 60fps 3D animated content. And I generally like vivid/exaggerated color profiles ofr gaming. You could also 'mount' the ISO (use MagicDisc; it's free) onto your PC; play it on your PC and make another profile for your PC. And so forth! Your PC especially is likely to throw things off because it'll have it's own color profiles and it's own way of handling video content. Whereas a Blu-Ray player or Gaming console is going to do a lot less 'meddling' with your content and will rely on your display panel to do the work. (When you calibrate a display on a PC; generally you don't do much of anything to the display itself except for maybe brightness/contrast settings. Most of the changes are made in the OS!)

I'd also investigate maybe calibrating your color profiles on your PC using test patterns, and calibrate it inside your OS (Windows requires some additional software I believe; you'll have to research. I mostly use Mac except for gaming; and I just haven't worried about calibration for gaming). That way you don't need multiple calibration profiles on the TV itself. (So calibrate it based on your test patterns running through your blu-ray player first; then calibrate the PC so that it's output renders properly on the TV; if that makes sense).
Makes sense. I was being pretty lazy and usually with other sources I usually play with brightness and sometimes the color temp (which is more a preference thing) but yeah most of what I've been doing where I wind up playing a lot more is when I'm basically connected to my PC so you probably hit the nail on the head why that can be much more different than me using my PS4 etc. I don't really change my PS4 settings anymore so it's probably my PC throwing things off in comparison in combination with potential quality issues of files being played (so not a good combo as there's probably zero consistency there).

And I didn't really mean issues as in end of the world problems. Nice to hear that the 70" doesn't seem to be really different other than just more screen real estate. There were comments earlier that it was bad regarding things I haven't experienced with my 60" but it sounded like they were issues due to a defective unit. Based upon what a few other 70" owners have said since, sounds like that was true.
post #2754 of 3606 Old 09-23-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suppaman View Post
Makes sense. I was being pretty lazy and usually with other sources I usually play with brightness and sometimes the color temp (which is more a preference thing) but yeah most of what I've been doing where I wind up playing a lot more is when I'm basically connected to my PC so you probably hit the nail on the head why that can be much more different than me using my PS4 etc. I don't really change my PS4 settings anymore so it's probably my PC throwing things off in comparison in combination with potential quality issues of files being played (so not a good combo as there's probably zero consistency there).

And I didn't really mean issues as in end of the world problems. Nice to hear that the 70" doesn't seem to be really different other than just more screen real estate. There were comments earlier that it was bad regarding things I haven't experienced with my 60" but it sounded like they were issues due to a defective unit. Based upon what a few other 70" owners have said since, sounds like that was true.
Yeah. It uses a lot of the same parts and I think the same power supply. So it doesn't have the clicking/buzzing issue.

As to color temperature; I guess it's personal preference but white should be white! Different lights have different color temperatures and can make the colors on your display seem differently. The color temperature adjusts the white point so that white doesn't seem blue or red in different lighting conditions.

Though I had a hard time getting my white balance right. Doesn't seem to really lend itself for 'fine tuning'.
post #2755 of 3606 Old 09-23-2014, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by iChristopher View Post
Anyone know what the latest firmware for the E400i-B2 is? ...
I've got 1.34.46.1116_127

🔥🔥🔥 Sent from my Samsung Note 7 Using Ove Glove™ 🔥🔥🔥
post #2756 of 3606 Old 09-23-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Yeah. It uses a lot of the same parts and I think the same power supply. So it doesn't have the clicking/buzzing issue.

As to color temperature; I guess it's personal preference but white should be white! Different lights have different color temperatures and can make the colors on your display seem differently. The color temperature adjusts the white point so that white doesn't seem blue or red in different lighting conditions.

Though I had a hard time getting my white balance right. Doesn't seem to really lend itself for 'fine tuning'.
I seemed to play with that most depending on if lights were on/off, source, what im watching (pretty much this was always when connected to my pc and watching different .mkv files of different types of video). And basically it was regarding the exact reason you specified.
post #2757 of 3606 Old 09-23-2014, 07:15 PM

Speaking of Longevity; the manufacture date on the old CRT (which has nothing but a coax input!) that I have in the guest bedroom was built in 1991! Still running strong. It's very rarely used. And that's particularly why I have no motivation to replace it. But it does work!

So I've turned on the 'auto brightness' feature. Messing around on some test patterns I noticed that adjusting the backlight made very little difference in terms of picture quality and accuracy. (0% and 100% showed some differences; but almost no difference between say 40% and 80%, a range you might actually see with the auto backlight). Which is really cool in my brightly lit living room. At night, it's great with the lights off. And during the way, when there's so much sunlight pouring into the room; the TV is still watchable! I "calibrated" (test patterns, quick and dirty) it at night; common wisdom says tune it for the most common viewing condition but I preferred to tune it for the 'best' condition. If I'm wanting to watch a Blu-Ray at the best PQ possible, it'll be at night with the lights down. So; that's how I set it! And with the auto-backlight feature; it works great. Will be mounting it on the wall tomorrow! Woohoo. Will look great then.
post #2758 of 3606 Old 09-24-2014, 12:29 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
I've got 1.34.46.1116_127
Thanks! Thats what I have, I'm guessing its the latest...

Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme but it will only add to the overall beauty of my message.
post #2759 of 3606 Old 09-24-2014, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Has anyone noticed on the e600i-b3 that the sharpness control has very little effect from 0-100? My current set really doesn't show a big change, even when viewing a calibration disc.

On another note, still waiting on my replacement set to arrive. Should be here in the next day or two I would think, although no one has called to set up an appointment yet.
madmadworld likes this.
post #2760 of 3606 Old 09-25-2014, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplec76 View Post
Has anyone noticed on the e600i-b3 that the sharpness control has very little effect from 0-100? My current set really doesn't show a big change, even when viewing a calibration disc.
good post
i kinds noted it but just thought it was me. but never went from 0-100.
re-checked it sure makes no difference i can see.

still playing with the past week or so i've had it. still have the kill-a-watt on it watching how it moves when i play with.

Sony XBR75X850D
Sharp LC-80UQ17U
Sharp 60LE650U
Vizio E600i-B3
the most important reading you might ever do.
http://fredsitelive.com/books/religion/genescott.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
vizio e 600-b3 , Vizio E Series E401i A2 40 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Lit Internet Hdtv , vizio m series m602i-b3

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page