OFFICIAL Samsung 4k HU8550 and HU9000 thread - Page 176 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4745Likes

post #5251 of 22217 Old 09-17-2014, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_rider View Post
Is it possible this could be caused by over-tightening the screws for the mounting bracket (assuming he's using one)?
Thanks for the note. Nope, the TV is on the stand it came with. I am not mounting it.
pilotart likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5252 of 22217 Old 09-17-2014, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by david(dallas) View Post
Good point, I'm using a new OPPO, so hopeful it not the player of that quality. But I also have an older Panasonic I will try.

Well crap, I don't know if this is good news or not. I tried any and all settings via oppo 103d (non darby enabled) and couldn't get it to play cleanly.
FYI - oppo has no 3d options. I outputs the 3d source directly. NOW as mentioned, above, the panny does have some settings and when I changed soft or customer instead of original, it started playing great.
So the issue is with the oppo 103d, it seems. 103 forum, it was reported that gravity played on some, but others had issues.

HOW about anybody here, if you have a oppo 103d OR other unit, will it play Gravity 3D cleanly? What a bummer, play this much for a high end bluray and it can't play 3d as good as a middle end panny..
Gravity 3D is playing fine for me from my Oppo BDP-93.
post #5253 of 22217 Old 09-17-2014, 10:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Has anyone been able to quantify the actual difference the "purcolor" feature on the HU9000 creates compared to the 65HU8500 or H8000 in regards to picture? As far as I can tell, that seems to be the sole differentiator in PQ between the 9000 and 8550, and the 2nd along with resolution compared to the 8000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5254 of 22217 Old 09-18-2014, 02:36 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK7e View Post
Has anyone been able to quantify the actual difference the "purcolor" feature on the HU9000 creates compared to the 65HU8500 or H8000 in regards to picture? As far as I can tell, that seems to be the sole differentiator in PQ between the 9000 and 8550, and the 2nd along with resolution compared to the 8000
HU9000 also has Auto Depth Enhancer, has more dimming zones, which in theory should improve blacks and contrast, and has a higher CMR, which means superior Motion Handling, which improves overall viewing experience. Also don't forget its a completely different and new panel, so backlight scanning etc.will be different, which can again affect PQ
post #5255 of 22217 Old 09-18-2014, 03:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hi,

maybe some of you can remember that I had a little problem with my 85inch Samsung because of light bleed in the lower left corner.

Yesterday I got a new one...........and..............exactly the same problem in the left corner..............and with the new unit........also in the right corner, but not that much as left.

Also Chad B wrote in his review something with cloud in the left corner.

It seems that all 85inch samsung have this problem.

So I would like to ask the 85inch owners here in the forum if they have the same problem.

I use very normal settings. Backlight max. 9, economy sensor 6............and in dark room (not total dark) situation I always see the light bleeding due to content of the film.

Only a backlight setting 2 solve the problem.........but 2 is not that much. I can or I will not accept that.

I am very sad at the moment.............a lot of money for a lot of problems..........................
post #5256 of 22217 Old 09-18-2014, 04:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Last few weeks i am seeing some moire and/or flickering in objects with horizonal and vertical lines like buildings and people with stripped shirts. Never seen this before so i do not know what is wrong. I use just 2 standard TV picture settings, Standard and Natural. I do not change any of the pre settings and the source is SD and HD material. Blu-ray is much better but also here some minor flickering.

From new i never seen this but after the last update (EU version 1160) i see some color shade problems that almost solved with a TV reset, but the filkkering is still here. I tried all availible settings for Digital Clean View but non of the settings is clearing the flickering.

This is model
UE65HU8500 LXXN

Any users on your side of the ocean have this ?
post #5257 of 22217 Old 09-18-2014, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3928 Post(s)
Liked: 2934
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelHoss1 View Post
I'm wondering about this myself. I'm thinking about picking up the Panny player that Mr. Orange recommended and gets great reviews. However, I know that 4K players are coming out next year, and I feel a little hesitant to buy 2 new players in 12 months when I already have a PS4 and Xbone.

Is the difference that noticeable?

Also, which Panny do you use?
yes u notice the difference .Sammy models do not have as many 3D options to adjust.Sammy makes a great tv but imo panny player is much better it has so many PQ options.All revies are better on panny 3D player.I have the DMP-BDT220
post #5258 of 22217 Old 09-18-2014, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda steffen View Post
Hi,

maybe some of you can remember that I had a little problem with my 85inch Samsung because of light bleed in the lower left corner.

Yesterday I got a new one...........and..............exactly the same problem in the left corner..............and with the new unit........also in the right corner, but not that much as left.

So I would like to ask the 85inch owners here in the forum if they have the same problem.

I use very normal settings. Backlight max. 9, economy sensor 6............and in dark room (not total dark) situation I always see the light bleeding due to content of the film.

Only a backlight setting 2 solve the problem.........but 2 is not that much. I can or I will not accept that.

I am very sad at the moment.............a lot of money for a lot of problems..........................
You shouldn't have to put up with backlight 2 etc., that's ridiculous.
This is whats so annoying about these TVs, you spend thousands & you have myriad problems that 500 dollar TVs don't.
The other dilemma is whether to exchange the set or not, as there's no guarantee that the new set won't have the same problems or worse, as your case proves. I have a little clouding in the bottom left corner of my 65" HU9000, & some minor banding, but I'm loathe to ask for a new one in case it will have even worse clouding/banding, & other problems that mine doesn't have, like bleeding, dead pixels etc. But this is a dreadful mindset when one's just spent a kings ransom on a so-called state of the art TV.
post #5259 of 22217 Old 09-18-2014, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Hi,

Honda,
I got mine Sunday in exchange for the 79x900b.
I can see some mild corner bleed on both bottom corners, not as bad as the Sony and much better than the 75hu8550 which had dispersed light bleed along with hard lines on all four corners.
This is apparently unavoidable and related to the tech LED/edge/fald with few zones as all sets seems to have at different degrees.
What I am really concerned is with the flicker/moire on high frequency images (buildings, fine textured elements, etc.). Do you see that (fw 2160)?
Also, the rainbow reflection from the ceiling lights is something that I don't remember having with the Sony.

Andrew
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (2).jpg
Views:	289
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	268106  
post #5260 of 22217 Old 09-18-2014, 07:15 AM

Hi Bassplayer,

we in Germany have still the 2150 fw.
But also with 2150 I sometimes see some flicker.

Your attached picture - is that the light bleed you have?

Which backlight setting do you use?
post #5261 of 22217 Old 09-18-2014, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hi Bassplayer,

we in Germany have still the 2150 fw.
But also with 2150 I sometimes see some flicker.

Your attached picture - is that the light bleed you have?

Which backlight setting do you use?
That is the ceiling light reflection.
I will take a pic of the bleed tonight, will have to over expose in order to capture it, so everything else will look much brighter than really is.
Hopefully they can address via fw as I don't remember seeing flicker on the 75hu8550 nor 79x900b.
post #5262 of 22217 Old 09-18-2014, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Hi,

Have you tried turning OFF the Eco Sensor? I've never had a single LCD - Sharp, Sony, Samsung where the Eco Sensor features provided ANY PQ benefits. In fact, more an artifact nuisance than anything with random unnatural light fluctuations. I hate it an I'll pay a few extra pennies vs. Eco which sucks IMO.

Samsung 75HU8550w/SEK-3500-UHDVideoPk, 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Philips Folio Soundbar
XBoxOne/360, FPS's Borderlands 1/2, EDF 2017/2025, Halo's
post #5263 of 22217 Old 09-18-2014, 07:50 AM

@bassplayer

please try to make a picture of your light bleeding and tell me your settings. By the way, I never had an LCD without flicker.
@westa6969 : Samsung is the only company with a useable eco sensor. Turning to off means I must always change my settings for backlight between day and night viewing.
The Eco Sensor works very well with my Samsung TV.
pilotart likes this.
post #5264 of 22217 Old 09-18-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked: 1570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassplayer6 View Post
What I am really concerned is with the flicker/moire on high frequency images (buildings, fine textured elements, etc.). Do you see that (fw 2160)?

Andrew

I saw the same thing and mentioned it in the reviews. In fact, most 4k sets i have seen it have it. Curiously, the LG was the only one that did not.

Do you have a receiver that can upscale to 4K? That helped some when I tried it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

touring ISF/THX calibrator with Jeti 1211 and Klein K-10
Latest reviews:JVC RS540, JVC RS3000, Sony VPL-VW695ES
Copied settings measured, Review archive
post #5265 of 22217 Old 09-18-2014, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by hossta View Post
You shouldn't have to put up with backlight 2 etc., that's ridiculous.
This is whats so annoying about these TVs, you spend thousands & you have myriad problems that 500 dollar TVs don't.
The other dilemma is whether to exchange the set or not, as there's no guarantee that the new set won't have the same problems or worse, as your case proves. I have a little clouding in the bottom left corner of my 65" HU9000, & some minor banding, but I'm loathe to ask for a new one in case it will have even worse clouding/banding, & other problems that mine doesn't have, like bleeding, dead pixels etc. But this is a dreadful mindset when one's just spent a kings ransom on a so-called state of the art TV.
So, what's up with left corners? I do not see any on mine but just curious why the left corner in specific with many sets.
post #5266 of 22217 Old 09-18-2014, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassplayer6 View Post
Quote:
Hi,

Honda,
I got mine Sunday in exchange for the 79x900b.
I can see some mild corner bleed on both bottom corners, not as bad as the Sony and much better than the 75hu8550 which had dispersed light bleed along with hard lines on all four corners.
This is apparently unavoidable and related to the tech LED/edge/fald with few zones as all sets seems to have at different degrees.
Also, the rainbow reflection from the ceiling lights is something that I don't remember having with the Sony.

Andrew

Yes. The my panel shows rainbow reflections when my recessed cans are on. But I wall mounted my TV and tilted it down. And honestly, I rarely use ceiling lighting in my basement.

But that's the down side to a glossy display. Better colors they say, but reflections.

It doesn't bother me.

Are you all referring to the flashlighting lighting from the corners when discussing light bleed?

Last edited by yosM45; 09-18-2014 at 11:15 AM.
post #5267 of 22217 Old 09-18-2014, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post
I saw the same thing and mentioned it in the reviews. In fact, most 4k sets i have seen it have it. Curiously, the LG was the only one that did not.

Do you have a receiver that can upscale to 4K? That helped some when I tried it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not at the moment.
I don't recall seeing that on the sony 79x900b that I had for a month and my impression, so far, is that the Sony did a better job at upscaling content.
Do you think this will/can be addressed via fw or it is a panel and/or circuitry/one connect box solution?

Thanks
post #5268 of 22217 Old 09-18-2014, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Hi,

I have the 75 and it has the same issues, bit of light in corners and edges. I think just a downside with edge light TVs and not much you can do about them.
post #5269 of 22217 Old 09-18-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
I have the 75 and it has the same issues, bit of light in corners and edges. I think just a downside with edge light TVs and not much you can do about them.
But the 85" is not edge-lit which is what's odd. I observed and commented on a very subtle light bleed from the lower right corner of the model I spent quality time with a couple months back. It was part of what added to the mystery at the time as to whether it was edge-lit or direct-lit (since confirmed as direct-lit). The panel had great uniforming overall but I noticed this effect on the checkerboard test pattern. Perhaps the set I saw was better off, though, because what I saw was really only noticeable with the test slide and not when playing regular content -- unless I was really, really looking for it.
post #5270 of 22217 Old 09-18-2014, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Man I bought this TV more for the 4k instead of the 3D. But at this point, I have been impressed more with the 3d over what I have watched of the 4k material, especially what is on the sammy media. As usually, it looks nothing like the demo material shown in the stores. I still think they do something extra to make it look better in the stores.

Now on the 3d glasses, I don't think that there isn't a way I can tell if the glasses or connected or not. I know when you connect, it tells you on the TV. But after that, I have lost connection for some reason and I didn't know it. Would be nice if the LED on the glasses stayed on green to show connection, or something to tell me.

Those what are using other 3d glasses and would recommend them over the ones provided with the TV, please chime in with model or link information.
Also the ones you are using, is there a way to tell them are actively connected?

Thanks in advance..
post #5271 of 22217 Old 09-18-2014, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Just wanted to let you guys the blacklist is now in 4k on netflix and this is the best looking 4k yet. Better than the uhd hard drive. If anyone says you can't tell the difference from 1080p,Then their lying. Check it out colorfuls are fantastic and so vivid and clarify is crystal clear
post #5272 of 22217 Old 09-18-2014, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

well, I hate wild goose chases, but it looks like I have been on one related to me oppo 103d bluray not playing Gravity 3D. I went back and forth yesterday where it looked like it wouldnt play on the oppo, but was on the panny with some panny config changes. After running into an issue related to the glasses disconnecting without me knowing, I went back today and tried Gravity 3D on the oppo, and it was working. So my guess here is the glasses were disconnecting (maybe low battery) and I didn't know it during my oppo test.

So as of today, the oppo does play Gravity 3D. I don't want to lead anybody with the wrong idea on oppos.

Now saying that, the Panny did have more 3D configuration tweaks that can be done, where the oppo had zero. So as far as a 3d bluray, I would now say the Panny is better than the oppo. I still cant tell if the oppo provides any better picture than the panny. I will look at that further today to decide which one to go with as my bluray. The 103D with Darbee option is kind of neat, the Darbee effect does provide a bit more detail to the picture, usually more on softer 1080 TV sources..
post #5273 of 22217 Old 09-18-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked: 501
Question Correct Length for the four M8 Bracket Screws?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_rider View Post
Is it possible this could be caused by over-tightening the screws for the mounting bracket (assuming he's using one)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcec View Post
Thanks for the note. Nope, the TV is on the stand it came with. I am not mounting it.
The four mounting screw holes are at 400 x 400 mm and centered about 10 mm above center. I have a SANUS SMF3 Articulating Wall Mount bought about a year ago for my heavier (but smaller) Sony, I now have the 55" HU8550 on this mount.

The kit contains M8 screws for Samsung, but the 16mm are way too short and the 35mm are way too long. I just ran the 35mm finger tight to bottom and lightly shimmed the +/- 8 mm space between the bracket arm and screw head washer. So just the ends of the bracket are lightly contacting the back and all the weight is on the four screws alone.

This works fine for me, but is there a specification given for the correct screw depth from TV back for mounting security. The kit also has 22 mm length spacers for "inset mounting holes" or "extra space for cables", but the M8 35mm screws are not long enough to use the spacers.

I would gain a small advantage having TV 22 mm further out from the wall as my bracket (for maximum structural strength) is just 480 mm from the corner and that would allow a few more degrees of swivel from the end of its 410 mm arm.
post #5274 of 22217 Old 09-18-2014, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Picture going in and out

For the last few months my HU9000 picture has momentarily gone dark, then on again. It happens every few days. Last night the picture went dark and the small Samsung logo was flashing and moving like a screen saver.. BUT the sound was still on.( Running DTV into my ONYO receiver intothe TV, Using HDMI # for ARC when needed). I hit the smart hub button to see if that would work and the TV resumed showing the TV Show like nothing was out of sorts.

I plan to switch HDMI cables but wanted some opinions on what might have happened??
post #5275 of 22217 Old 09-18-2014, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZMOJ View Post
For the last few months my HU9000 picture has momentarily gone dark, then on again. It happens every few days. Last night the picture went dark and the small Samsung logo was flashing and moving like a screen saver.. BUT the sound was still on.( Running DTV into my ONYO receiver intothe TV, Using HDMI # for ARC when needed). I hit the smart hub button to see if that would work and the TV resumed showing the TV Show like nothing was out of sorts.

I plan to switch HDMI cables but wanted some opinions on what might have happened??

My 1 month old hu8550 did the exact same thing once last week, it also goes through my Onkyo receiver from the Directv box, had me puzzled, been ok since.
post #5276 of 22217 Old 09-18-2014, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZMOJ View Post

What model Onkyo do you have and how old is it? Onkyos are known to have HDMI video issues where the capacitors dry out from the heat of the graphics chips on the HDMI board. My Onkyo 905 and 906 receivers exhibited this issue before they completely died. To test, try running the source signal directly to the TV and see if the issues remain. If the issue disappears, your Onkyo is failing...

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #5277 of 22217 Old 09-18-2014, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
What model Onkyo do you have and how old is it? Onkyos are known to have HDMI video issues where the capacitors dry out from the heat of the graphics chips on the HDMI board. My Onkyo 905 and 906 receivers exhibited this issue before they completely died. To test, try running the source signal directly to the TV and see if the issues remain. If the issue disappears, your Onkyo is failing...

Great idea, I'll try it is is a 3 year old unit 608

The Samsung tech had me reset the TV so now I have to figure out my settings again AHH
post #5278 of 22217 Old 09-18-2014, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Cool Best 3D Glasses

Quote:
Man I bought this TV more for the 4k instead of the 3D. But at this point, I have been impressed more with the 3d over what I have watched of the 4k material, especially what is on the sammy media. As usually, it looks nothing like the demo material shown in the stores. I still think they do something extra to make it look better in the stores.

Now on the 3d glasses, I don't think that there isn't a way I can tell if the glasses or connected or not. I know when you connect, it tells you on the TV. But after that, I have lost connection for some reason and I didn't know it. Would be nice if the LED on the glasses stayed on green to show connection, or something to tell me.

Those what are using other 3d glasses and would recommend them over the ones provided with the TV, please chime in with model or link information.
Also the ones you are using, is there a way to tell them are actively connected?

Thanks in advance..
I bought it more for the 3D than the 4K and wanted nicer, rechargeable 3D Glasses. From a recommendation on this site's "3D" section, I bought the SAMSUNG-Compatible 3ACTIVE® 3D Glasses for 2011-14 Bluetooth 3D TV's.
by 3ACTIVE
These also came with a very nice zipper-close Case to hold them.

There is a very positive "On" Button on top of left temple portion, unlike the hard to feel one on the included glasses. There is a brief 'LED' and they won't turn on if there is no 3D Bluetooth from the TV. They turn off automatically when TV is out of 3D mode and when you return to 3D mode, if it has been more than a short while, you just press the button, the 3D view gives you no doubt if they are on or not. The button will turn them off while TV is in 3D mode and you then can see a brief Red LED and then a Blue LED if you turn them back on again.

I wear progressive corrective glasses and these are very comfortable over them. The lenses are larger than the included glasses and the shading is greater as well. I have worn them for three and a half hours (Titanic 3D Blu-Ray) with complete comfort and even though their 39 grams is nearly twice the 22 gram weight of the included, they are more comfortable.

The Luminous Transmittance is listed as 38+/-2% vs 36+/-2% for the included glasses. They both list 120Hz and the 3D Active shows Liquid Crystal Contrast Ratio: 1000:1 with no rating on included version.

My left eye corrects to 20/15 but my right eye can only be corrected to 20/30 which puts me at a disadvantage for 3D TV. I find enough advantage in the viewing to justify their $50 cost, not even considering the convenience of not changing batteries.

I had preferred the Samsung "2D>3D" conversion over almost all the Demo 3D (looks so artificial) that I had seen until I experienced the 3D Titanic Blu-Ray which was truly amazing and life-like.

The Pairing is the same except that the 3D-Active require first putting TV in 3D mode (so that they will turn on). TV Screen shows a brief message when connected. The "battery-meter" on the included is not very accurate and I know I got no where near 70 hours on the first battery. The 3D-Active comes with a 31" standard USB to mini-USB charging cable that you can plug into the TV or any charging USB Jack. They show a life of 20-50 hours between charges, LED shows the need and it takes 1-3 hours for the charging LED to go out. I'm still on the original 2 hour charge.
david(dallas) likes this.
post #5279 of 22217 Old 09-18-2014, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Just out of curiosity, what could be preventing my tv from updating via the web? I thought I tried everything but maybe there is something I missed. Things I have tried

I registered
Reset the tv
Logged in my account
Tried both wireless and wired connections
Unplugged for 2 min and retried
And tried 2 different USB drives.

Still nothing. If it is a defect I can still return it in store but rather would not to if its a mistake on my part. If anyone knows of anything I may have missed please let me know. I am still awaiting for customer service to send me another drive but I am growing impatient do to time if I have to return it. Thank you in advance.
post #5280 of 22217 Old 09-18-2014, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^my 55" 8550 was delivered 10 days ago loaded with FW 2143.

Had read problems some were reporting with FW 2150, so I immediately set update from automatic to manual.

After seeing favorable reports for FW 2160 I went to update (had shown 2150 and now 2160 available) and selected Update now.

It successfully updated with reboot. Back to update page showed it on FW 2160 and manual update still set, I will leave it on that setting for the time being.

Good luck with yours, I can't see anything you are not doing, or doing wrong, you have done a lot more than I have.

Hope you get it resolved or replaced, Art
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
samsung u8550 , Samsung Un55c8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv , un55hu9000 , un65hu9000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page