OFFICIAL Samsung 4k HU8550 and HU9000 thread - Page 216 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4830Likes

post #6451 of 22268 Old 11-01-2014, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Can anyone tell me if the Samsung HU8550 are 8-bit or 10-bit panels? If they're 8-bit then I think I'm going to hold off. Does anyone know?

Last edited by hbkecahbk; 11-01-2014 at 06:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6452 of 22268 Old 11-01-2014, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 3741 Post(s)
Liked: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbkecahbk View Post
Can anyone tell me if the Samsung HU8558 are 8-bit or 10-bit panels? If they're 8-bit then I think I'm going to hold off. Does anyone know?
Here we go again.
SANdood, vega509 and pooloddity like this.
post #6453 of 22268 Old 11-01-2014, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
Are you sure about this? I've watched various 4K clips streamed to the TV from YouTube and they look amazingly sharp and realistic. Sure looks like 4K to me. Haven't seen any 4K from other sources that looks any better.

I Googled for the 4K video downloader and found it. I'm confused tho - their web page shows an example and they have selected a 4K video but the choices shown in the screenshot to download the clip in are 1080p, 720p, and 360p. No 4K? Isn't that the point? Am I missing something?
The app works with the 4K clips from YouTube.
This is correct. After research they were showcased with vp9 compression compatability.

The only catch is it has to be the YouTube app inside the TV itself.

They indeed play YouTube in 4k using vp9 compression. I am completely sure of this.
pilotart likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6454 of 22268 Old 11-01-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Here we go again.
Here we go again? You can't give me a simple answer? I tried googling it with AVS but I couldn't find it. And I really don't want to look through 216 pages... but hey, thank you SO MUCH for you help!
post #6455 of 22268 Old 11-01-2014, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorange303 View Post
This is correct. After research they were showcased with vp9 compression compatability.

The only catch is it has to be the YouTube app inside the TV itself.

They indeed play YouTube in 4k using vp9 compression. I am completely sure of this.
Please see pg.220 of the manual and
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1404459598
post #6456 of 22268 Old 11-01-2014, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Here we go again? You can't give me a simple answer? I tried googling it with AVS but I couldn't find it. And I really don't want to look through 216 pages... but hey, thank you SO MUCH for you help!
Yes the panel is 10 bit
post #6457 of 22268 Old 11-01-2014, 07:13 PM

Guys - I have an older USB drive that I'd like to use with the Sammy HU8550. Its only USB 2.0. Specs say internally the interface is SATA 3 Gb/s and externally 480 Mb/s in what they call High Speed Mode. Can this be used OK for storing apps and media with the Sammy. Can I put full 4K/UHD content on it and play it back through the Sammy, or would a USB 3.0 compatible device be required for that?

Also - should I format this as NTFS or FAT32? Thanks!
post #6458 of 22268 Old 11-01-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosse7dn View Post
Yes the panel is 10 bit
Thank you!
post #6459 of 22268 Old 11-01-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Yes the panel is 10 bit
A concise answer. I love it. Now prove it. J/k.
post #6460 of 22268 Old 11-01-2014, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 3270
Quote:
Guys - I have an older USB drive that I'd like to use with the Sammy HU8550. Its only USB 2.0. Specs say internally the interface is SATA 3 Gb/s and externally 480 Mb/s in what they call High Speed Mode. Can this be used OK for storing apps and media with the Sammy. Can I put full 4K/UHD content on it and play it back through the Sammy, or would a USB 3.0 compatible device be required for that?

Also - should I format this as NTFS or FAT32? Thanks!
You can use either USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 drives; a drive with its own power supply is recommended but a thumb drive will work as well. The TV recognizes FAT, NTFS and exFAT formatted devices. Use the USB 3.0 port (the one marked HDD) whenever possible.
pilotart likes this.
post #6461 of 22268 Old 11-01-2014, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassplayer6 View Post
Which motion setting do you have on?
Please send your basic settings.
Motion, Filters, Dimming
By "Dimming" are you referring to System>Eco>Eco Sensor?
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzledbiker View Post
What does your book say?
User Guide makes no mention of USB except not to plug in upside down.
Pg 33 (rear view detail) Port Labels can be easily readusing a 60X microscope.

E-Manual says that Camera must use labeled USB:
Quote:
"<!>When connecting the TV camera to 2014 Samsung TV models, make sure to connect it to the specified USB port of the TV. Other USB ports do not support the TV camera or Motion Control."
Then on pg 217;
Quote:
"The TV supports MSC (Mass Storage Class) USB devices only. MSC is a class designation for mass storage devices. Types of MSC devices include external hard drives, flash card readers, and digital cameras. (USB hubs are not supported.) These kinds of devices must be connected directly to the TV's USB port. The TV may not be able to recognize the USB device or read the files on the device if it is connected to the TV via a USB extension cable. Do not disconnect the USB device while transferring files.
● When connecting an external hard drive, use the USB (HDD) port. We recommend that you use an external hard drive with its own power adapter."
That's sum-total on USB and (all of) their Port Illustrations
are non-TV specific without location or labeling.

They do a good job of defining and describing HDMI Ports function
(without specific locations and generic graphics), DVI, MHL, HDCP and HDMI 2.2
along with HDMI ARC.

No mention of EX-LINK (Port next to Audio Out).

Little booklet with Gift HD said to use USB-3 and I can see
how this is easy to find when TV is sitting on a bench in the Lab.

Samsung's published information is on a par with their consumer tech support,
at least on that USB subject.
Not just Sammy for sure, printed documentation is all but non-existent
today and you're lucky if you can find most of what you need online.
Sites like these provide support where the companies do not.
post #6462 of 22268 Old 11-01-2014, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:
I tried googling it with AVS but I couldn't find it. And I really don't want to look through 216 pages...
Here's a Thread Search for you...<<a link<<
(About 4% of the total posts on this thread contain phrase "10 bit"
post #6463 of 22268 Old 11-01-2014, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by elphillips View Post
I have a 75" 8550 due for delivery Tuesday. Which HDMI input on this TV are most of you using. I'm thinking of using Input 1(STB). I do not need ARC as I do all my streaming through a OPPO 105, including ROKU. Or, does it make any difference? Source switching is done by a pre/pro with just one HDMI to the TV.
You want arc so you can watch Netflix, YouTube and Amazon in 4k. But the hdcp 2.2 hdmi 2.0 is a different hdmi input. That's why I ran multiple hdmi cables through the wall when mounting.

Samsung 85" 4K, Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 with MartinLogan Theos, Stage, Motion 15, EM-R, Seaton Submersive F2, Denon AVR-X5200W
post #6464 of 22268 Old 11-01-2014, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ok I tested some more. Game Mode eliminates my issue totally. Different picture modes along with the UHD option per HDMI input didn't do squat, which makes sense because I get the wavy effect streaming apps in the TV. I removed it from the wall unplugged everything still does it. So I'm gonna see if Best Buy will let me put in in disc in their floor model and see if it does it there, which I'm pretty sure it won't. But my buddy gave me a $35 gift certificate that expires today so..I have more reasons I guess. I'll just pick their brains before I return it.

Hello There

Last edited by Ambush083; 11-02-2014 at 03:04 AM.
post #6465 of 22268 Old 11-01-2014, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Very recently I replaced my 52" Samsung that was 7 or 8 years old with a 65" HU8550. The picture is awesome and we have been very happy with it. And as a perk although I didn't think I would care about the 3D at all, it is pretty cool as well. However, as happy as my husband and I are with our purchase, we keep looking at the very large wall it is on and thinking maybe we should have gone with the 75". With only a few days left to return I have some questions.

The TV is located above a sliding glass door, about 7 feet above the ground and is about 15 feet from us. Used mainly for watching TV shows and Movies through DirecTV and the occasional Bluray DVD as well as occasional Xbox gaming.

While researching the 75" a bit, I have also decided I might be interested in the 78" HU9000.

First will the picture quality on the 75" and/or the 78" be as good as what I am seeing on the 65". I am concerned with more area for the pixels to cover, the picture might not be as good.

I have read a bunch of reviews on the HU9000. Some say it is the best 4K TV available, while others say the picture is the same on HU8550. Are the extra features on the HU9000 worth the extra cost? I've also read that they do not hang well. Is this just a matter of ascetics and taste, as when looking at the curved TV's I thought they would look sexy on a wall!

Finally if I do decide to go with the HU8550, I am also considering the HU8500 (sold at Costco). I read a post here that say they are exactly the same however, if you compare them on Samsung's website there are a few differences. The two that catch my eye are.

UHD Up-scaling
The 8550 = "Quadmatic Picture Engine"
The 8500 = simply "Yes"

Does that mean the 8500 uses a different engine to upscale? If so is it better or worse.

AND

Smart Evolution Ready
The 8550 = N/A
The 8500 = Yes

What exactly does this mean? I've heard that the Samsung 4K's are future ready if connections change from HDMI to something else. Does this mean the 8550 does not have that feature?

There were a few other difference were the 8550 says N/A and the 8500 had those features, but I do not believe they are features that will matter to me.
post #6466 of 22268 Old 11-01-2014, 11:33 PM

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 2886 Post(s)
Liked: 1334
Quote:
Here we go again.
Yep. Like I said, once a week. Note to moderator: please make the info about the 8 vs 10 bit panels a FAQ. Thank you.

sent via HTC ONE M7
post #6467 of 22268 Old 11-02-2014, 03:06 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I tired to test a floor model at Best Buy with my Bluray and they basically said no. I can understand I guess.

Anyways, I'll be exchanging the TV this Monday or Tuesday most likely. Hoping to get that new / working one calibrated shortly after.

Thanks for everyone's help!
pilotart likes this.

Hello There
post #6468 of 22268 Old 11-02-2014, 05:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon was added to the 4k video on the Netflix app. Looks more detailed but still not as good as The Black List. Pilotart did you get the Hd pack to work?
post #6469 of 22268 Old 11-02-2014, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Looks like there may have been some additional nice price drops on some models - especially the 55HU9000 (@2499).
post #6470 of 22268 Old 11-02-2014, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I gave up waiting for the price drop on this thing and just decided to spend a bit more to enjoy it for a few more months. Taking delivery from BB next week on a 75HU8550! Excited to get it in the house and set up - this will be our first new TV in nearly a decade. Our old Panny 50PHD8UK is still alive and doing well, but with no HDMI and us growing into a bigger space, it was time (the Panny will move to my home office and continue serving as a PC/streaming monitor).

I'm slowly working my way through this thread and appreciate the advice and pointers already out there, but if anyone has some day one/week one advice, or wants to point me to specific posts, I'd be eternally grateful! Also - I'm wondering if there are some quick settings I should pay attention to right out of the box. To be honest, I'm still getting up to speed on SOE, judder, Clear Motion, and all that jazz - remember I'm coming from a 60hz, 768p panel built when a 3000:1 contrast on a flat panel was thought to be amazing. (And yes, I know, pro calibration. Did it for the Panny, but with work travel it's going to be after Thanksgiving before I can get anything scheduled, and I'd like to not be blinded by the factory settings until then. )

More than anything, I'm just excited for the new toy and figured it's time to start participating in its official thread!

Side note: Following some of the advice in one of the ECTV threads, I just walked in and asked the Magnolia guy if he could price match any of the vendors I was able to pull up on Google Shopping on my phone. I attempted this at HHGregg, also, but no go there. When all was said and done, I ended up coming in ~$600 below list even after tax.
RollTide2011 likes this.
post #6471 of 22268 Old 11-02-2014, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
I gave up waiting for the price drop on this thing and just decided to spend a bit more to enjoy it for a few more months. Taking delivery from BB next week on a 75HU8550! Excited to get it in the house and set up - this will be our first new TV in nearly a decade. Our old Panny 50PHD8UK is still alive and doing well, but with no HDMI and us growing into a bigger space, it was time (the Panny will move to my home office and continue serving as a PC/streaming monitor).

I'm slowly working my way through this thread and appreciate the advice and pointers already out there, but if anyone has some day one/week one advice, or wants to point me to specific posts, I'd be eternally grateful! Also - I'm wondering if there are some quick settings I should pay attention to right out of the box. To be honest, I'm still getting up to speed on SOE, judder, Clear Motion, and all that jazz - remember I'm coming from a 60hz, 768p panel built when a 3000:1 contrast on a flat panel was thought to be amazing. (And yes, I know, pro calibration. Did it for the Panny, but with work travel it's going to be after Thanksgiving before I can get anything scheduled, and I'd like to not be blinded by the factory settings until then. )

More than anything, I'm just excited for the new toy and figured it's time to start participating in its official thread!

Side note: Following some of the advice in one of the ECTV threads, I just walked in and asked the Magnolia guy if he could price match any of the vendors I was able to pull up on Google Shopping on my phone. I attempted this at HHGregg, also, but no go there. When all was said and done, I ended up coming in ~$600 below list even after tax.
Congrats. on your upcoming new tv, I love my 75hu8550 had it a month now, after you get it all connected go on Amazon & do a search for the settings from "Falcon" and use those to get you in the ballpark & then you can tweak them to your room if needed, enjoy !!
post #6472 of 22268 Old 11-02-2014, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataJohn View Post
after you get it all connected go on Amazon & do a search for the settings from "Falcon" and use those to get you in the ballpark & then you can tweak them to your room if needed, enjoy !!
I have a new 65" 8550 as well and also slowly working through settings but there is short to go through and learn. Any chance someone could post a link to falcons settings or give some general advice?

I also am experiencing a few problems.....

1- Input lag. Moving through settings with the remote is quite slow and sometimes I get motions blurring and some slight static through high motion scenes on the display. I have switched to using hdmi port 2 which from what I have read had less innate lag and also switched to pc mode. Any other advice?

2. How do I check exactly what my input lag is measured in ms? If I could do that I could test different things myself and see if where I am at is excessive but I can't figure it out. Is there an app or something?

3. I also have a hw550 sound bar and when I play netflix with dolby 5.1 every 3-4 minutes the sound cuts out. Seems significantly less common with stereo but I still find it occasionally happens.

Any other new user advice appreciated ty!
post #6473 of 22268 Old 11-02-2014, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Yes the panel is 10 bit
Regardless it has been proven the 8bit that mimic 10bit cannot be differentiated from a native panel to the human eye. So it doesn't really matter. There will be no need to worry about bits at all.
post #6474 of 22268 Old 11-02-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgdoc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataJohn View Post
after you get it all connected go on Amazon & do a search for the settings from "Falcon" and use those to get you in the ballpark & then you can tweak them to your room if needed, enjoy !!
I have a new 65" 8550 as well and also slowly working through settings but there is short to go through and learn. Any chance someone could post a link to falcons settings or give some general advice?

I also am experiencing a few problems.....

1- Input lag. Moving through settings with the remote is quite slow and sometimes I get motions blurring and some slight static through high motion scenes on the display. I have switched to using hdmi port 2 which from what I have read had less innate lag and also switched to pc mode. Any other advice?

2. How do I check exactly what my input lag is measured in ms? If I could do that I could test different things myself and see if where I am at is excessive but I can't figure it out. Is there an app or something?

3. I also have a hw550 sound bar and when I play netflix with dolby 5.1 every 3-4 minutes the sound cuts out. Seems significantly less common with stereo but I still find it occasionally happens.

Any other new user advice appreciated ty!
I have the same sound bar. I get drop out issues using sound connect for a source. But using hdmi and the TV arc I'm find a pretty solid sound connection.
post #6475 of 22268 Old 11-02-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorange303 View Post
I have the same sound bar. I get drop out issues using sound connect for a source. But using hdmi and the TV arc I'm find a pretty solid sound connection.
What do u mean by TV arc?

EDIT: Got it. So you hardwire with an hdmi cable between the hw550 and the TV Arc instead of wireless sound connect? I assume I don't need hdmi 2.0 a regular hdmi is fine?

Last edited by Dawgdoc; 11-02-2014 at 09:59 AM.
post #6476 of 22268 Old 11-02-2014, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Use the HDMI out (ARC) on the sound bar and connect it to the HDMI port on the TV which is labeled HDMI (ARC). ARC stands for Audio Return Channel. ARC lets the TV output digital sound to an audio device and input digital sound from the same audio device through one HDMI cable. ARC is only available through the HDMI (ARC) port and only when the TV is connected to an ARC-enabled AV receiver. Using ARC you are able to pass through sound from the TV's multiple sources using one connection.

Last edited by Wolf2; 11-02-2014 at 10:05 AM.
post #6477 of 22268 Old 11-02-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2 View Post
Use the HDMI out on the sound bar and connect it to the HDMI port on the TV which is labeled HDMI (ARC). ARC lets the TV output digital sound to an audio device and input digital sound from the same audio device through one HDMI cable. ARC is only available through the HDMI (ARC) port and only when the
TV is connected to an ARC-enabled AV receiver.
I can't find any hdmi out on the hw550 only usb. Any idea where the hdmi connection is on it?

TY
post #6478 of 22268 Old 11-02-2014, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Page 13 in the manual shows this connection.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...140513-cms.pdf
post #6479 of 22268 Old 11-02-2014, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2 View Post
Page 13 in the manual shows this connection.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...140513-cms.pdf
Sorry I missed this for a while. Thanks for covering wolf.

Yes it's one of the two on the back.

Also check out pacific rim. Dark knight for real thumpers. It will hold beautifully. Massive base for a sound bar.

Keep the TV volume below that of the sound bars.

Example: TV SOUND LEVEL 12
SOUND BAR LEVEL 13.

the sub should be about 1ft from the wall. Hope this helps.
Wolf2 likes this.

Last edited by Mrorange303; 11-02-2014 at 10:21 AM.
post #6480 of 22268 Old 11-02-2014, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm looking to buy one of these sets within the next month and have some questions. Thanks in advance and I promise not to ask about 8 bit or 10 bit.

1. I've noticed a lot of discussion about the Panel Versions (printed on the box and on the back of the set) that are available on the 8550. Samsung panels (second letter is an S) or Sharp panels (second letter is an H) are available with the Samsung panel thought to be the better one. On the curved sets, 8700 and 9000, are these models only Samsung panels (because of the curve) or are some panel also sub-contracted thru Sharp?

2. Also concerning the 8550 model, there seems to be various firmwares available - again depending on the Panel Version number. The 01 versions have a higher firmware version (and more available memory for apps) and the 02 versions are probably newer, but have a lesser firmware number (and lower reported available memory). Anyone have an opinion which is better and does this situation also occur for the curved models?

I'm considering the 65" models if that matters.

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
samsung u8550 , Samsung Un55c8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv , un55hu9000 , un65hu9000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page