OFFICIAL Samsung 4k HU8550 and HU9000 thread - Page 317 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4767Likes

post #9481 of 22229 Old 12-16-2014, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMike View Post
I just took a look at the YouTube Jacob+Katie Schwarz 4K (in india) and found it really dull. My BR disks and 1080P network broadcasts are far superior to that.
I know right? I have never seen anything good from the YouTube app. I guess I have a difference of what I expect 4K to be. After the YouTube app was updated I checked out over a dozen 4K streams, and literally thought my TV was broke.

I have extremely fast internet and never have issues with Streaming 4K, YouTube just sucks. M-Go and Netflix rock.

I also agree that my BR collection outperforms almost all 4K content I have seen on this TV. Granted that is for overall look. And I have never seen a Blue-Ray that is native 4K because they don't exist yet, but I am betting that is the only content that will overall satisfy me.
CaptMike likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9482 of 22229 Old 12-16-2014, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Couple more questions about my 8550:

How common is backlight bleed along the bezel? My bottom left corner has a slight brightness/flashlight effect to it. Can I fix this?

Last edited by keyweez360; 12-17-2014 at 01:35 PM.
post #9483 of 22229 Old 12-16-2014, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burningcoals View Post
I know right? I have never seen anything good from the YouTube app. I guess I have a difference of what I expect 4K to be. After the YouTube app was updated I checked out over a dozen 4K streams, and literally thought my TV was broke.

I have extremely fast internet and never have issues with Streaming 4K, YouTube just sucks. M-Go and Netflix rock.

I also agree that my BR collection outperforms almost all 4K content I have seen on this TV. Granted that is for overall look. And I have never seen a Blue-Ray that is native 4K because they don't exist yet, but I am betting that is the only content that will overall satisfy me.
Exactly

I'm looking to actually see something that is rather close to what "they" are showing in the store for a 4K demo. I have not taken a look at the several YT 4K titles that Chis suggested but I think it will be about the same as I have see previous on YT. I have a slow DSL connection but the YT 4K load and start to play relativity fast. Forget about Netflix 4K...I can't handle that at my speed.

I also agree on about the upcoming 4K BR players and disks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9484 of 22229 Old 12-16-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyweez360 View Post
Couple more questions about my 8550:

How common is backlight bleed along the bezel? My bottom left corner has a slight brightness/flashlight effect to it. Can I fix this?

Does something take up a huge amount of space on the internal memory? I only have a few apps that total around 50MB but the TV says I've used about 600MB... I did update to the latest TV software if that matters.
I have noticed that I have some light...don't know what to call it because I have not seen any definitions on "flash lighting"... that can be seen only on a black background that comes from the sides and corners. if you pause a BR on a black or dark scene I can see it better. If I adjust down the backlighting that will get rid of that light. The contrast also diminishes it but it takes more of a adjustment than the backlighting. During a normal viewing of tv or a movie I don't see it.
post #9485 of 22229 Old 12-16-2014, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Exactly

I'm looking to actually see something that is rather close to what "they" are showing in the store for a 4K demo. I have not taken a look at the several YT 4K titles that Chis suggested but I think it will be about the same as I have see previous on YT. I have a slow DSL connection but the YT 4K load and start to play relativity fast. Forget about Netflix 4K...I can't handle that at my speed.

I also agree on about the upcoming 4K BR players and disks
In defense of the TV. If you have a slow internet connection you are not going to see good content, YT might load but it recognizes your speed and probably is not giving you full 4K.

You will need to download something to a USB drive and then play it on your TV if you have a slow connection. Netflix does come close to the content demo that is played in the store.

My issue really is with comparing my BR on my 1080p set and then comparing it on my 4K set, Hobbit looks pretty good on the 4K set, but damn, some movies are made way worse. I am going to post a picture here and show the difference.
CaptMike likes this.
post #9486 of 22229 Old 12-16-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
In defense of the TV. If you have a slow internet connection you are not going to see good content, YT might load but it recognizes your speed and probably is not giving you full 4K.
I do not believe that a slower internet connection will affect the 4K content you are viewing. If it will load and play, you should see the same quality of the video stream on a fast or slow internet connection. I believe the only downside to a slow connection is the inability to load and play without stoppage.

"Present day HD will often be hidden/buffered at the end device before beginning to display, and even still, hiccups, artifact glitches and slowdowns will occur. This is due to the home user’s Internet connection not exceeding 10Mb/s; on average, most households in the U.S. get around 8Mb/s. So when you consider that the needed bandwidth speed for sending/receiving a 4K video stream without incident, is discussed as requiring a 50Mb/s connection, it’s obvious that problems will develop when streaming."
post #9487 of 22229 Old 12-16-2014, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I do not believe that a slower internet connection will affect the 4K content you are viewing. If it will load and play, you should see the same quality of the video stream on a fast or slow internet connection. I believe the only downside to a slow connection is the inability to load and play without stoppage.

"Present day HD will often be hidden/buffered at the end device before beginning to display, and even still, hiccups, artifact glitches and slowdowns will occur. This is due to the home user’s Internet connection not exceeding 10Mb/s; on average, most households in the U.S. get around 8Mb/s. So when you consider that the needed bandwidth speed for sending/receiving a 4K video stream without incident, is discussed as requiring a 50Mb/s connection, it’s obvious that problems will develop when streaming."
But you can't play Netflix? Which is faster then youtube by a good margin for me? You are not able to lock in 4K on the youtube application. it will play 720p if that's all you can stream and that is considered HD. Fix your Netflix issue and you will see good content.
post #9488 of 22229 Old 12-16-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
But you can't play Netflix? Which is faster then youtube by a good margin for me? You are not able to lock in 4K on the youtube application. it will play 720p if that's all you can stream and that is considered HD. Fix your Netflix issue and you will see good content.

Netflix 4K does not load fast for me. At least the first attempt in a session that I try to load from NF I get a "too slow network" message. When I try to load it again, sometimes it will load and play for about 20 sec then stop,...play..then stop. However with YT, all the 4K content that I have been viewing has loaded and played without a hiccup.
post #9489 of 22229 Old 12-16-2014, 11:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Quoted: 12622 Post(s)
Liked: 11827
Quote:
Originally Posted by sv33688 View Post
You can download 4k videos from http://demo-uhd3d.com/ and play via USB drive.
i have been here and had a hard time downloading the 4k videos, the only one i could snag was the 15 minute world cup slip which was pretty sick! correct me what i am doing wrong here, i click on a video, and it takes me to a picture of the video(not the actual video), on the right side below it it says DOWNLOAD, on every single file except the soccer video, it downloads it as a zip, the soccor video takes me right to the video so that i can play it and copy the URL and use the 4k downloader. if the files download as a zip file, how do i use the 4 downloader? it has me all confused lol personally i think its much much easier to just copy the URL of the actual video but i cant seem to access the actual videos.

82Q90R*75Q9FN(RIP)*55C8OLED*Galaxy Note10+*Ub820 fed into Oppo 203*XB1X*4k DenonX4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN
post #9490 of 22229 Old 12-17-2014, 12:49 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcinc View Post
Originally Posted by doctorwizz

I have know about this myth for years. It has never affected any of my 8 PC's connected to 6 TV's with dozens of windows installs.

Originally Posted by IraG

As I already posted, the issue does not apply to PC's connected to TV's, so of course it has not affected your setups.

It most certainly DOES APPLY TO TVs. If you connect your TV to a PC w/ Nvidia via HDMI or DVI-> HDMI you will be affected. Please research the issue before giving incorrect information.

I now understand why people wander away from these threads after so much disinformation.
Perhaps you should do some more research. Start with reading the article the original poster linked to. It is about a problem with NVIDIA cards connected to Full RGB PC monitors through HDMI, where the graphics card locks the output to Limited RGB resulting in a washed-out image. Connecting a PC that is locked to Limited RGB to a TV expecting or set for Limited RGB used to display TV programs and movies that use the Limited RGB range of values (16-235) is not a problem.

My HTPC with a NVIDIA GTX 970 is connected via HDMI to my 65HU9000 with HDMI Black Level set to Low (Limited RGB). Can you explain how I am affected? If I am missing something, why not point it out and actually contribute something positive instead of rude accusations of spreading misinformation to people who are actually trying to help and contribute to this forum. It is rude posts such as yours that drives forum contributors away.

Here is another link to help your research of the topic. http://referencehometheater.com/2014...ll-vs-limited/

Last edited by IraG; 12-17-2014 at 01:07 AM.
post #9491 of 22229 Old 12-17-2014, 02:39 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
i have been here and had a hard time downloading the 4k videos, the only one i could snag was the 15 minute world cup slip which was pretty sick! correct me what i am doing wrong here, i click on a video, and it takes me to a picture of the video(not the actual video), on the right side below it it says DOWNLOAD, on every single file except the soccer video, it downloads it as a zip, the soccor video takes me right to the video so that i can play it and copy the URL and use the 4k downloader. if the files download as a zip file, how do i use the 4 downloader? it has me all confused lol personally i think its much much easier to just copy the URL of the actual video but i cant seem to access the actual videos.
Go to your download folder and right click one of those zip files you've downloaded and click extract. Once finished you'll see a file with a thumbnail picture of the video and that is what you'll copy to your usb. This is all assuming you are using windows.
Chris Hansen likes this.
post #9492 of 22229 Old 12-17-2014, 03:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Gents, how about some feedback on the black level performance of the 8550? Depth? Details? How do they compare to similar brands and models in the same price range?

Currently own a 65" XBR850B which is a great set but the 8550 is the same price and due to panel differences might perform better with blacks. I do like the Sony overall but am still evaluating it. Plenty of time to swap it out for the Sammy.

Thanks for any insight.
post #9493 of 22229 Old 12-17-2014, 03:49 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzledbiker View Post
No point in me having any A/V equipment anymore as the wife constantly bitches to "turn it down"! Fed up. Can't enjoy a good dts action movie. Headphones are ok but you lose half the show with it's awesome dts surround audio. Home is too small to set up a theater elsewhere. Besides she's the one that picked out this curved tv. But all she wants to watch are country music specials, nature shows, four hours of local Fox news and NCIS. And chick flicks. Christ bout had it. I don't even know why I'm posting this here. Probably shouldn't. Oh well. Might as well go to bed. Now where did I throw that remote?
Do like I did, got her her own TV.
That tv has countless reruns of law and order, multiple flavors of CSI, the biggest loser, the voice and other crapola. I couldn't care less about how celebrities spend their millions or who they are sleeping with. To boot, she has absolutely NO problem watching this crap in stretched or zoom lo-def. shoot me!
I literately couldn't take it so I went out when she was in a girls weekend adventure and bought a 48" for the bedroom and a 55" inch for down stairs (the 60" 8550 replaced the 55").
The worst thing I have done is introduced Hulu, Amazon prime, Netflix and Apple TV., talk about tech support.
pilotart likes this.

Last edited by bruinsrme; 12-17-2014 at 04:22 AM.
post #9494 of 22229 Old 12-17-2014, 04:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post
Gents, how about some feedback on the black level performance of the 8550? Depth? Details? How do they compare to similar brands and models in the same price range?

Currently own a 65" XBR850B which is a great set but the 8550 is the same price and due to panel differences might perform better with blacks. I do like the Sony overall but am still evaluating it. Plenty of time to swap it out for the Sammy.

Thanks for any insight.
The black levels are really good. They're not OLED or plasma good like the old Pioneer Kuro or the Panasonic VT/ZT60 but of the various LED models currently out there, I feel they're about the best for that category.

I recall there being some posts in this thread about other 850B users who went to the HU8550 and commented on the much improved blacks over the 850B.
post #9495 of 22229 Old 12-17-2014, 04:47 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by IraG View Post
As I already posted, the issue does not apply to PC's connected to TV's, so of course it has not affected your setups.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IraG View Post
Perhaps you should do some more research. Start with reading the article the original poster linked to. It is about a problem with NVIDIA cards connected to Full RGB PC monitors through HDMI, where the graphics card locks the output to Limited RGB resulting in a washed-out image. Connecting a PC that is locked to Limited RGB to a TV expecting or set for Limited RGB used to display TV programs and movies that use the Limited RGB range of values (16-235) is not a problem.

My HTPC with a NVIDIA GTX 970 is connected via HDMI to my 65HU9000 with HDMI Black Level set to Low (Limited RGB). Can you explain how I am affected? If I am missing something, why not point it out and actually contribute something positive instead of rude accusations of spreading misinformation to people who are actually trying to help and contribute to this forum. It is rude posts such as yours that drives forum contributors away.

Here is another link to help your research of the topic. http://referencehometheater.com/2014...ll-vs-limited/
Sure I can explain - there is no way to globally set the RGB setting, across all applications, without a registry hack or setting an artificial resolution. Been that way for years - and finally acknowledged by Nvidia.

Sorry if that seems rude - I've thouroghly researched the subject & am comfortable commenting without cutting or pasting from around the internet.

(BTW, you'd be better off applying the hack and choosing Normal - ensuring you're always getting unaltered 0-255 Full RGB across all applications, at least until the next Nvidia revision)

Last edited by pdcinc; 12-17-2014 at 05:32 AM.
post #9496 of 22229 Old 12-17-2014, 05:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
The black levels are really good. They're not OLED or plasma good like the old Pioneer Kuro or the Panasonic VT/ZT60 but of the various LED models currently out there, I feel they're about the best for that category.

I recall there being some posts in this thread about other 850B users who went to the HU8550 and commented on the much improved blacks over the 850B.
Thanks, Chris. I did do some searching in the thread and saw a few of those posts & info. I expected this due to the Sonys IPS panel versus the Sammys NON-IPS panel. However, the Sony certainly does do a lot of things well and Im not 100% sure Id even swap it out. But, as always, those damned LCD blacks are a concern.

Funny you mention the KURO. I had a 50" KURO for a while so thats the reason Im so sensitive to quality blacks. These LEDs do a lot of things well but most of them, other than the absolute higest-end models are lacking in black level performance.
post #9497 of 22229 Old 12-17-2014, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
I downloaded multiple Samsung and Sony demo files, after that I unzip/extracted the files I copied them into USB drive it played without any issues.
Online you can find some 4k videos from Youtube, Vimo, Netflix, Mgo, Amazon Instant video, Netflix etc. But I feel downloaded 4k videos look more beautiful than the streaming.
Chris Hansen likes this.
post #9498 of 22229 Old 12-17-2014, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1962 Post(s)
Liked: 3260
4k video acquisition & playback

Rather than relying on the built-in YouTube app, I regularly use 4K VIDEODOWNLOADER (https://www.4kdownload.com/products/...ideodownloader) to acquire content from filmmakers such as:

https://www.youtube.com/user/jacobschwarz
https://www.youtube.com/user/devinsupertramp
https://www.youtube.com/user/RustadMedia
https://www.youtube.com/user/HQMEDIA

These files can then be saved to either an external HDD or to Network Attached Storage, and are accessed via the TV's DLNA client. I find the quality to be much better than that produced by the app, and fluctuations in bandwidth and download speeds do not affect playback. With rare exceptions, the TV will play back all of the files you download, with a PC required only for those files that are formatted in a resolution that is higher than the maximum supported by the Samsung (4096 x 2160). In those instances, I use VLC Media Player (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html).
CaptMike and sv33688 like this.
post #9499 of 22229 Old 12-17-2014, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Motion Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
Review of UN55HU8550FXZA

Auto Motion Plus: Custom (Blur: 8, Judder: 0, LED clear: Off)
So I got my 75" 8550 and it looks great!

As I been trying to calibrate it I ran in to this issue.

I have seen two suggestions, Movie mode or Game mode. Game mode defiantly helps with the motion blur. In an effort to get the best picture I followed the above instructions but ran in to the following issue. After setting it to Movie mode I was getting motion blur during sporting events. As suggested above I went in to Auto Motion Plus Sub-menu, set it to Custom and wanted to adjust Motion Blur. To my surprise that options was grayed out and I was not able to adjust Motion Blur under the Custom setting. Has anyone ran in to this? What is the solution to eliminate Motion Blur in Movie mode? Or do I go back to Game mode....
CaptMike likes this.
post #9500 of 22229 Old 12-17-2014, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Has anyone used their Directv genie to watch 4k yet? I tried to set it up myself but looKS like it wants me to move my genie to another room and not have a box for my tv. Anyone?
post #9501 of 22229 Old 12-17-2014, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misha322 View Post

I have seen two suggestions, Movie mode or Game mode. Game mode defiantly helps with the motion blur. In an effort to get the best picture I followed the above instructions but ran in to the following issue. After setting it to Movie mode I was getting motion blur during sporting events. As suggested above I went in to Auto Motion Plus Sub-menu, set it to Custom and wanted to adjust Motion Blur. To my surprise that options was grayed out and I was not able to adjust Motion Blur under the Custom setting. Has anyone ran in to this? What is the solution to eliminate Motion Blur in Movie mode? Or do I go back to Game mode....
I think most people set Auto Motion Plus to Clear if my memory serves me correctly. I've not seen anyone set it to anything else.

[/B] LG OLED65E6P TV, Yamaha RX-V383 AVR with Paradigm speakers, Cableone STB, Samsung UHD BD player, AppleTV 4K[/B]
post #9502 of 22229 Old 12-17-2014, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post
Thanks, Chris. I did do some searching in the thread and saw a few of those posts & info. I expected this due to the Sonys IPS panel versus the Sammys NON-IPS panel. However, the Sony certainly does do a lot of things well and Im not 100% sure Id even swap it out. But, as always, those damned LCD blacks are a concern.

Funny you mention the KURO. I had a 50" KURO for a while so thats the reason Im so sensitive to quality blacks. These LEDs do a lot of things well but most of them, other than the absolute higest-end models are lacking in black level performance.
I have the 55" 8550. I came from a Panasinic 50ST60 that had an unfortunate accident causing the screen to crack. My current Samsung (like my Panasonic was) is fully calibrated with meter/Calman 5 software.

As to your question concerning black levels, I can tell you that they are not as good as the Panasonic or the KURO. This is mostly noticed in dark sceens when the edge lighting has to compensate. The overall dark sceen blackness reminds me of and older LG Plasma that I had. With that said, the picture is generaly excellent with superb color. The black level is fine when there is higher light levels in the picture.

My 8550 is calibrated to 29 FTL light output, 2.35 gamma, suitable for dark room viewing. The picture really comes into it's own at higher light outputs. I did a calibration (for fun) at the 40 FTL levels for brighter room lighting levels and the picture was stunning. I can see why LCD owns this viewing environment.

Except for the somewhat inferior black levels (only really noticed on the darkest scenes), I am finding a lot of enjoyment in viewing this set and would highly recommend it to anyone.
post #9503 of 22229 Old 12-17-2014, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzledbiker View Post
No point in me having any A/V equipment anymore as the wife constantly bitches to "turn it down"! Fed up. Can't enjoy a good dts action movie. Headphones are ok but you lose half the show with it's awesome dts surround audio. Home is too small to set up a theater elsewhere. Besides she's the one that picked out this curved tv. But all she wants to watch are country music specials, nature shows, four hours of local Fox news and NCIS. And chick flicks. Christ bout had it. I don't even know why I'm posting this here. Probably shouldn't. Oh well. Might as well go to bed. Now where did I throw that remote?
Welcome to owning an expensive tv? Constant argument with my girlfriend. I just want to watch morgan freeman sing me to sleep with his sweet universe shows and my girlfriend just wants to watch "girl talk" and 80s movies.
pilotart likes this.
post #9504 of 22229 Old 12-17-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by robjwilkins View Post
Has anyone used their Directv genie to watch 4k yet? I tried to set it up myself but looKS like it wants me to move my genie to another room and not have a box for my tv. Anyone?

It will use RVU over ethernet. however, you should be able to use both in same room,

IE Client box, and RVU over ethernet on UHD Sammy.

Shouldnt have to move anything, but need ethernet. ( almost 1001% sure wifi will not work over RVU unless you are faking it with a bridge)

Good Luck!
post #9505 of 22229 Old 12-17-2014, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misha322 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebignewt View Post
I think most people set Auto Motion Plus to Clear if my memory serves me correctly. I've not seen anyone set it to anything else.
What I have seen is anytime I activate Smart View (to send Broadcast OTA TV to my iPhone) it grays out the entire Auto Motion Plus option. When I had lovingdvd's AMP options selected, this would cause annoying (1/4" jumping) judder on the 1080 stations, but not 720 or 480. Turning Smart View off restores AMP.

Selecting AMP to Off instead of Custom and LED Clear Motion Off as well causes no Blur or Judder on any Sporting Show or at any other time.

And although Smart View still grays out AMP, no judder is now seen on any channel while Smart View is in use.

This is in Movie mode or any other mode that allows 'Picture Options' like Dynamic, Standard, Natural, CalNight or CalDay.

Antenna signals are far purer and less compressed than cable or satellite signals, so this may be why I do not ever need any Auto Motion Plus options.

Expected that Game mode was for playing a game on your screen, not watching a game or sports show.

My Game mode under System>General options is Grayed out but I never used it anyway and have seen it said that Game mode greatly reduces your Picture settings options. Never connected my PC or any console to my TV. Found 'pong' to be boring long, long ago.

I have noticed that the Blur Reduction and Judder Reduction options are ONLY available with 'Custom' selected and LED Clear Motion Off. Not available with Clear, Standard or Smooth option's.
Art
post #9506 of 22229 Old 12-17-2014, 12:06 PM

I have a queston around the LED clear motion option. If you turn it in the custom AMP settings for blur and judder are greed out but still show the 10 and 5 I have there. So does it still use them and I just have ti turn clear motion back off and adjust them and then turn it back on or do the 2 options not work together and it's just one option or the other?
post #9507 of 22229 Old 12-17-2014, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Chris Hansen wrote:
Quote:
I finally made the choice I should have originally made and got the 50" 8850. I still needed to return the 7150 and did a side by side comparison to make sure it was the right decision. Wow!!!! What a difference!!!!
Still trying to decide whether to upgrade from my h7150 to the 4K hu8550. The experts have pretty much convinced me that the differences between a good 4K picture and a good 1080p picture are subtle, at best. But are there other factors that would make the 8550 a better set? Seems like the hardware and software are pretty similar, except the 4K has more pixels?

Chris Hansen, why and how was the picture better on the 8550?

(Earlier in the thread someone mentioned that Best Buy might offer me an exchange using the Thanksgiving prices. If that's the case I won't be able to compare the two sets myself, and I'm worried that I will have paid an extra $1200.00 for basically the same picture I had before.)
post #9508 of 22229 Old 12-17-2014, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by robjwilkins View Post
I have a queston around the LED clear motion option. If you turn it in the custom AMP settings for blur and judder are greed out but still show the 10 and 5 I have there. So does it still use them and I just have ti turn clear motion back off and adjust them and then turn it back on or do the 2 options not work together and it's just one option or the other?
No I believe if it's greyed out it goes to default setting, whatever you had it set to before is no longer valid.
post #9509 of 22229 Old 12-17-2014, 12:26 PM

I don't think the difference is subtle st all! Good 4k content is amazing and breath taking in my opinion. The only problem is the current availability
post #9510 of 22229 Old 12-17-2014, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cutter View Post
Chris Hansen wrote:

Still trying to decide whether to upgrade from my h7150 to the 4K hu8550. The experts have pretty much convinced me that the differences between a good 4K picture and a good 1080p picture are subtle, at best. But are there other factors that would make the 8550 a better set? Seems like the hardware and software are pretty similar, except the 4K has more pixels?

Chris Hansen, why and how was the picture better on the 8550?

(Earlier in the thread someone mentioned that Best Buy might offer me an exchange using the Thanksgiving prices. If that's the case I won't be able to compare the two sets myself, and I'm worried that I will have paid an extra $1200.00 for basically the same picture I had before.)
When the experts say that the differences are negligible I think they just mean that, past certain distances, it's physically impossible for our eyes to pick up the increased resolution of a 4K picture. CLEARLY 4K pictures look amazing (based on my trip to Best Buy) but that same high quality image on a 1080p set would look amazing, as well. I've watched some of the YouTube 4K videos on my computer monitor and it felt like I had a different monitor!

Having said that, the hu8550 demo I saw at Best Buy was not only incredibly beautiful, it was so... smooth... So maybe there are other 4K image advantages that the experts just don't talk that much about?

Last edited by John Cutter; 12-17-2014 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
samsung u8550 , Samsung Un55c8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv , un55hu9000 , un65hu9000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page