OFFICIAL Samsung 4k HU8550 and HU9000 thread - Page 563 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4756Likes

post #16861 of 22223 Old 04-01-2015, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1339 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
As long as the tv is tilted down it should be fine.

Do you have a curve facing down? It doesn't mess with the immersion or make it artificial being both curved and angled?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16862 of 22223 Old 04-01-2015, 03:41 PM
rlb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 2250 Post(s)
Liked: 1900
Quote:
Originally Posted by roller11 View Post
Samsung has boobey trapped the FW process. Can't reinstall your old FW that works perfectly. And don't be fooled by that "auto update" feature, it does nothing. twice I've had it set to "off' and the update happened anyway. From now on, my network is disabled so S can't force a buggy FW on me.

What are the symptoms of Lip Sync, how does one replicate the problem?

Normal symptom of lip sync is that movement of lips trails sound of voice. This occurs because it takes longer to process video than it takes to process audio.

HDMI 1.3 included an automatic lip sync adjustment as long as components were all HDMI 1.3 capable. Obviously also included in HDMI 1.4 and HDMI 2.0.

If you are using optical digital, and component video, or HDMI 1.2, most receivers have a lip sync adjustment which allows you to delay the audio. Typical delay is something 40ms and 150ms. The more complex the video processing and more time it takes; although faster processors minimize the delay. If I remember correctly, the Samsung delay is around 70ms.

Natural way to replicate is to use optical digital for sound with component video cables.
post #16863 of 22223 Old 04-01-2015, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3933 Post(s)
Liked: 2939
Quote:
Originally Posted by frantick View Post
player002, you stated in previous posts that the 60" sharp panels are all 10 bit. How did you know this? I searched all over for the Samsung part number, BN95-01368A, and the mfg part number, CY-KH060FSSV1V, and I don't see a bit listing anywhere.

Thanks, -cp
All of sharps 4k panels are 10 bits
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-t1g5VzP...nds/sharp.aspx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16864 of 22223 Old 04-01-2015, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko15 View Post
Menu>Sound>Additional Settings>Audio Delay

Don't know if this will help you. Good luck.
Dude - you are my hero. I COMPLETELY MISSED this sub menu. Let me play with the settings and bounce back.

-AJ
post #16865 of 22223 Old 04-01-2015, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Make sure the lip synch is on all channels... I have lip synch issues occasionally and it's only on one particular channel on my STB... It usually goes away after a day.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #16866 of 22223 Old 04-01-2015, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Hmm....I just checked my satellite box on HDMI, perfect lip sync through my AVR. Same playing back archived .ISO blu rays from my hard drive, perfect lip sync. FW is 2221.
post #16867 of 22223 Old 04-01-2015, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by assJack1 View Post
Dude - you are my hero. I COMPLETELY MISSED this sub menu. Let me play with the settings and bounce back.

-AJ
"The devil is in the details." Hope it works out for you.
post #16868 of 22223 Old 04-01-2015, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 72
This evening, I started having problems with my Netflix and Amazon apps. When I try to start any stream, I get messages that say variations on "content cannot be played at this time."

As the streams work on all other devices, I assume it is an issue with the TV. Is there any way to fix this problem short of a reset?

Any help much appreciated,

Brian
post #16869 of 22223 Old 04-01-2015, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 58
God help me, i like the Dynamic setting the best lol; I tried katzmaier settings, starting on Movie, and pic looked fairly dull and blurry. Whites were not even close to white. I am going to mess a bit more...

Also, I need to upgrade my AVR to something that can process 4k (eventually). My current AVR (Denon X1000) does not. Is there a specific HDMI I should be using on the TV for the best performance? Right now I'm just using HDMI 4 (ARC) as the sole input into the tv for STB, XBOX 360/One. I'm a pretty basic person lol

Also, it sucks to hear that the J-series are said to perform so much better than this tv...but I feel I got the 65hu8550 for a fair price (<2.5k) and it is MUCH better than my old 55es6500 and i lived with that thing for years. I am happy.

Stuff, I have some of it
post #16870 of 22223 Old 04-01-2015, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 177
I'm sorry to be asking this as I know it was answered several times. However there is soooo many pages in this thread filled with nothing but "What panel is the good one" or "Which chip is the right chip" and "How cheap can I get this set" that after 40 minutes of searching I'm coming up empty. The question I have, if someone knows were the answer is and can share the link is what are the Auto Motion Plus settings equivalent to custom for Clear, Standard and Smooth.
post #16871 of 22223 Old 04-01-2015, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry if this has been asked, but I'd like to lookup how many hours are on my new 8550. I ordered it as a new in box unit, but I'm suspicious for a number of reasons. Is there an easy way to look this up?
post #16872 of 22223 Old 04-01-2015, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko15 View Post
"The devil is in the details." Hope it works out for you.
Okay. Fixed.

I checked my settings and the lip sync was set to where I put it when I first got my set. (I wrote it down, but again I forgot the setting even existed). Anyhow, I had to change by 50ms. And things worked.

But a bigger question is - clearly Samsung changed the software - and part of that change impacted audio/video processing time - I wonder if I will be going through this over and over...

Thanks for the help. It's the little things that count. Appreciate you responding.

-AJ
post #16873 of 22223 Old 04-01-2015, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansxx View Post
This evening, I started having problems with my Netflix and Amazon apps. When I try to start any stream, I get messages that say variations on "content cannot be played at this time."

As the streams work on all other devices, I assume it is an issue with the TV. Is there any way to fix this problem short of a reset?

Any help much appreciated,

Brian
I had this issue recently (not at the same time as my other lip-sync issue). Here is what worked for me. I hope it does for you.

I deleted Amazon Prime, WWE, etc.. Then I powered down and unhooked my hardwired LAN. I powered back on and did a network connection test (to force the TV to NOT find the internet). Powered down, then powered back on. I hooked the LAN back in, the I forced a check for an update- or it did it by itself - I can't remember - anyhow there was nothing new. (I'd still do this step anyways). Finally, re-installed the offending apps. Cha-ching! Maybe it was overkill, but it seemed to be successful.

Let us know if this works.
post #16874 of 22223 Old 04-01-2015, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumSV View Post
I'm sorry to be asking this as I know it was answered several times. However there is soooo many pages in this thread filled with nothing but "What panel is the good one" or "Which chip is the right chip" and "How cheap can I get this set" that after 40 minutes of searching I'm coming up empty. The question I have, if someone knows were the answer is and can share the link is what are the Auto Motion Plus settings equivalent to custom for Clear, Standard and Smooth.
I'm going for memory but TS01 (and TS02?) panels are the good ones. There may be more, but you should Google "Samsung Panel Lottery". For hardware, the Golf-P chipset is what you want -it does 4:4:4, but the only way I know how to find that out is by checking the Software version when the panel is on:

From this message:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post29668722
Go into Menu >> Support >> Contact Samsung. Under Product Information the second line indicates your Software Version. The first few characters will let you know what chipset is installed in your TV as follows:

T-GFP = Golf Chipset

T-NT = Novatek Chipset
post #16875 of 22223 Old 04-01-2015, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I had this issue recently (not at the same time as my other lip-sync issue). Here is what worked for me. I hope it does for you.

I deleted Amazon Prime, WWE, etc.. Then I powered down and unhooked my hardwired LAN. I powered back on and did a network connection test (to force the TV to NOT find the internet). Powered down, then powered back on. I hooked the LAN back in, the I forced a check for an update- or it did it by itself - I can't remember - anyhow there was nothing new. (I'd still do this step anyways). Finally, re-installed the offending apps. Cha-ching! Maybe it was overkill, but it seemed to be successful.

Thank you! I will give it a try.

All the Best,

Brian
post #16876 of 22223 Old 04-01-2015, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked: 5255
Quote:
See post below titled "Blur & Judder and All That Jazz".

Samsung UN78HU9000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UN40HU7000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player; Apple TV 4K
Arris VIP5662W UHD Whole Home DVR; Chromecast Ultra
Marantz SR7005 Receiver; Magnepan Speakers; Martin Logan Subwoofer

Last edited by Musician; 04-02-2015 at 08:32 AM.
post #16877 of 22223 Old 04-01-2015, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 57
The price on Amazon for a 65" 8550 ( which I check a couple times a day) keeps going down. Tonight it is at $2200, the lowest price I have seen. It seems to be dropping about $100 a day but figure that will stop real soon.
post #16878 of 22223 Old 04-01-2015, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 239
well looks like netflix finally added another movie to the 4k list. Godzilla the 1990s one
post #16879 of 22223 Old 04-01-2015, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Unfortunately, this approach did not work, but maybe I am missing something. I removed the apps from Smart Hub by holding down the enter button while highlighting the icon for the app on the home screen and selected "Remove." I powered down the TV and turned off my network. I powered up and did a network test with the TV failed. I powered down the set again and powered up the network. I forced an update (nothing new) and went to the Smart Hub app screen. I clicked in Amazon and it logged me in automatically. I still get the error message that Amazon cannot play content at this time and to call Amazon support. With Netflix, I get a "cannot connect to account" message. When I have Netflix check the network, I cannot reach any of the Netflix servers. Apart from the internet, the rest of the connections on the network test screen in the Netflix app are accompanied by red X's.

Maybe a reset is in order?

Thanks for the advice; it was worth a try.

Best,

Brian
post #16880 of 22223 Old 04-01-2015, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 239
I think we need to make a "4k Content" subforum for updates and reviews
post #16881 of 22223 Old 04-01-2015, 09:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
See thumbnail...
Aren't those reversed?
I.e Smooth should be high judder and low blur.
department76 likes this.
post #16882 of 22223 Old 04-01-2015, 11:54 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Quote:
See thumbnail...
I've seen that table before. Smooth and Clear are mixed up.
department76 likes this.
post #16883 of 22223 Old 04-02-2015, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Has anyone found a picture adjustment that takes the slight fogginess out of the picture when in movie mode? I like the cleanness of the picture in natural mode, but the white balance adjustments in movie mode seem to give me truer colors and flesh tones. I'm certainly not a professional calibrator, but I seem to be getting real close to a picture I can live with, and I think just a few more tweaks will get me there. As I posted before, I used Katzmaier's calibrations as a base, but I can't seem to get rid of the fog in movie mode. Any help from the videophiles here would be greatly appreciated by this amateur.
post #16884 of 22223 Old 04-02-2015, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by player002 View Post
I respect mark but he is wrong on this issue.I am in the cpu field and know how processors work.The panel does have chips attached to it on the board Golf/Nova but once the OCB is connected the chip on board is deactivated in favor of the new chip.Anyone in Cpu field or engineer can easily see that. The new OCB has the H chip(confirmed by mark) so you guys think that the tv will still be using the old chip even though the new box has a better version? The 2015 version of Tizen brings a new 4k engine which is done by the new chips which once again is in the OCB. This is a new OS there will be a big difference as everything has been overhauled!!

The panel is not the biggest factor for image as is the processing.Panel must meet certain requirements such as colour depth(2104 had 10 bit panels) and refresh rate(2014 had 8550-9000 had great refresh rates 120hz plus CMR)The processing(chip)is what gives you the best images it has algorithms written for PQ so the software is completely different this year.Tizen is a new OS completely different from all of Samsung previous version.Think of the new OCB like a new video card with new drivers new chips and a new program running the processing of the 4k engine.Knowing this how do people think the image quality will be the same?People are also dismissing 2014 OCB owners who all said they got a much better PQ over 2013 with OCB they got Cinema black too

The PQ will be improved The OCB is doing all the processing on js9500/9000 which is the same OCB that the 8550-9000 will receive so people think that box is just inputs?The one connect mini is just inputs not one connect evolution kit.

All 2015 models have Tizen and all 2015 models have auto depth enhancer for curved or Contrast enhancer for flat models also they all have pur colour.These 2 features have less to do with the panel and more to do with the software that analyzes the image and makes the adjustments.Knowing that every model this has it makes it quite easy to see that OCB which again does all the processing will get it as it has the new software on it..Hdr is more dependant on the screens backlight output.I will have some links @ the bottom but in the Samsung video they say min requirement for hdr is 2000 contrast ratio and 8550-9000 are 4000 and up so I think HDR will be on OCB too seeing how our sets reach the min requirements and that the OCB is the same as 9500/9000 which does hdr.Samsung promises that OCB will be up to date on UHD standards and HDR has been added in UHD alliance that Samsung founded.Will HDR be as good as js9500/9000 no it will not due to the panel having a higher peak brightness but our set are more than capable of doing it.Samsung is not gunna make us pay 4000-5000 to be out performed by the ju7500 that is thousands cheaper this is the purpose of evolution kit.There is nothing stopping our 2014 sets from doing HDR and it is such a big feature this year.Perhaps OCB won't allow native HDR(no quantum dots)but through Meta data that OCB can do(remember same OCB as 9500/900)will provide 2014 models with HDR content.That really and truly is up to Samsung and if i'm right OCB will bring

I have had chats with Samsung they have confirmed that all the features of 2015 you get with OCB expect Quantum dots I suggest you guys have a chat with samsung they will tell you the same ..Here is the video talking about min requirements for HDR and UHD certification @ 4:09 mark

Now here is some proof that evolution kit has new processors and is the brains of the TV. Now I want to Address Mark's comment on just GUI change.This was probably true in the past but notice how 2012-2013 can't get the new OCB with Tizen looks like something changed in the last year cause 2014 models get it!!

Samsung has made a big push to "future proof" its televisions. For the past couple years, it has sold a product called Evolution Kit that allows TV owners to update their devices to the latest technology by switching out a box instead of the entire television set. Samsung hasn't made as big a push with the kits as it did at previous CES shows, but it will be selling them again this year.

The company on Wednesday said owners of last year's H8000 and H7150 LED television sets as well as the pricey, ultra-high definition HU9000 and HU8550 TVs can update to the new operating system after buying a 2015 Evolution Kit. For 4K/Ultra High Definition TV owners, Samsung will sell a One Connect Box that updates not only the software but also the brains of the television, HDMI inputs and other items.

Samsung hasn't yet revealed pricing for the devices. Last year's Evolution Kits cost $300.

Owners of prior-year Samsung smart TVs, such as 2013 and 2012, won't be able to upgrade to Tizen, the company said. Still, Samsung plans to keep updating and supporting apps for its older smart TVs, Stinziano said Monday.

One more and I believe it's safe to say OCB is more than just upgrades to the ports.The fact that older models can't upgrade also say it's more since the HW in old models is not compatible and thus unable to do the upgrade to Tizen.This is more than a gui change the processing HW is completely upgraded and complemented by a new OS..

Since the news we have had numerous requests from readers asking if their older Samsung TVs will be upgradable to Tizen? Samsung has previously made claims that its older TVs were “future proof” via an Evolution Kit that allows the users to swap out a box that is attached to the TV opposed to replacing the whole TV set.

Joe Stinziano, executive vice president of Samsung Electronics America, said on Monday that there would not be an Over The Air (OTA) update for its TVs. Many saw this news as existing Samsung TVs would not be upgraded to Tizen.

Samsung have now stated that their 2014 TVs H7150, H8000, HU8550 and HU9000 will be upgradable to Tizen after the purchase of an Evolution kit. For owners of 4K/Ultra High Definition TV owners, Samsung will offer a One Connect Box that will update the software,HDMI and other major components. Owners of older 2013 and 2012 TVs will not be upgradable to Tizen, but Samsung will keep providing updates and supporting their existing apps.
Are you saying that the panel is actually 120hz.. so its possible to do 4K @ 120hz with the new OCB? This would be amazing!!!!!
post #16885 of 22223 Old 04-02-2015, 08:11 AM

from post: post #15164 of 16885Old03-04-2015, 04:01 PM
post #16886 of 22223 Old 04-02-2015, 08:20 AM

maybe they will add a 1.3 display port.. that will be perfect.. for 4K @ 120hz
post #16887 of 22223 Old 04-02-2015, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked: 5255
Blur & Judder and All Tha Jazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassplayer6 View Post
Aren't those reversed?
I.e Smooth should be high judder and low blur.
Oops, your right. That'll teach me for trusting something previously posted on the AVS Forum!

Just so @PlatinumSV has a better understanding here is a more in-depth discussion on Blur and Judder...

As Sly Stone would sing, "Different Strokes for Different Folks." Therefore, Samsung supplies five settings for Auto Motion Plus 120Hz: Off, Clear, Standard, Smooth and Custom.

The TV always runs at 120 Hz.

When AMP (Auto Motion Plus 120Hz) is off, the TV just takes the incoming signal and duplicates it to make 120 fps. If the source is 24p, then the TV plays that back as 24x5, which means there will be no 3-2 pulldown. If it's 30 or 60p, it just plays the signal back at 4x or 2x, respectively.

When AMP is on, various amounts of interpolation are applied.

The interpolation can be adjusted separately for film (24p sources) and video (30p/60i sources). Some people complain that interpolating a film image creates a higher frame-rate-image that looks too much like video, because video has an inherently higher frame rate. You lose the judder that is inherent in film (for examples, see the card-dealing scene in Casino Royale, or the Quidditch game scene in the first Harry Potter movie).

The Custom setting offers a Blur and a Judder reduction setting. Blur reduction changes the amount of interpolation for video sources. When BR is set to 0, there is no interpolation applied to video sources. At 10, the maximum amount of interpolation is applied.

Judder reduction changes the amount of interpolation for film sources. Similar to BR, When JR is set to 0, there is no interpolation applied to film-based sources and at 10, the max amount is applied.

If you don't like the 'video-ish' effect on film-based sources, you can increase Blur reduction (to get the motion resolution improvement for video sources) but reduce judder reduction (to limit, or eliminate, the 'smoothing' effect on film sources).

The preset settings apply blur and judder reduction to varying degrees:

Clear - Blur is preset to High, where Judder is preset to Low.
Standard - Blur and Judder are both preset to a middle level
Smooth - Judder is preset to High, and Blur is preset to Low

It is possible for the interpolation, particularly when set to the maximum, to create brief artifacts in complex, fast-moving images. This occurs less than 1% of the time with regular content. If this is bothersome, we suggest lowering the respective adjustment (or switch to the Standard AMP mode, which is the default, and keeps both adjustments at a midpoint)."

http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/Samsung...DTV_Review.htm
pooloddity likes this.

Samsung UN78HU9000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UN40HU7000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player; Apple TV 4K
Arris VIP5662W UHD Whole Home DVR; Chromecast Ultra
Marantz SR7005 Receiver; Magnepan Speakers; Martin Logan Subwoofer
post #16888 of 22223 Old 04-02-2015, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musician View Post
see post below.

lol
post #16889 of 22223 Old 04-02-2015, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Oops, your right. That'll teach me for trusting something previously posted on the AVS Forum!

Just so @PlatinumSV has a better understanding here is a more in-depth discussion on Blur and Judder...

As Sly Stone would sing, "Different Strokes for Different Folks." Therefore, Samsung supplies five settings for Auto Motion Plus 120Hz: Off, Clear, Standard, Smooth and Custom.

The TV always runs at 120 Hz.

When AMP (Auto Motion Plus 120Hz) is off, the TV just takes the incoming signal and duplicates it to make 120 fps. If the source is 24p, then the TV plays that back as 24x5, which means there will be no 3-2 pulldown. If it's 30 or 60p, it just plays the signal back at 4x or 2x, respectively.

When AMP is on, various amounts of interpolation are applied.

The interpolation can be adjusted separately for film (24p sources) and video (30p/60i sources). Some people complain that interpolating a film image creates a higher frame-rate-image that looks too much like video, because video has an inherently higher frame rate. You lose the judder that is inherent in film (for examples, see the card-dealing scene in Casino Royale, or the Quidditch game scene in the first Harry Potter movie).

The Custom setting offers a Blur and a Judder reduction setting. Blur reduction changes the amount of interpolation for video sources. When BR is set to 0, there is no interpolation applied to video sources. At 10, the maximum amount of interpolation is applied.

Judder reduction changes the amount of interpolation for film sources. Similar to BR, When JR is set to 0, there is no interpolation applied to film-based sources and at 10, the max amount is applied.

If you don't like the 'video-ish' effect on film-based sources, you can increase Blur reduction (to get the motion resolution improvement for video sources) but reduce judder reduction (to limit, or eliminate, the 'smoothing' effect on film sources).

The preset settings apply blur and judder reduction to varying degrees:

Clear - Blur is preset to High, where Judder is preset to Low.
Standard - Blur and Judder are both preset to a middle level
Smooth - Judder is preset to High, and Blur is preset to Low

It is possible for the interpolation, particularly when set to the maximum, to create brief artifacts in complex, fast-moving images. This occurs less than 1% of the time with regular content. If this is bothersome, we suggest lowering the respective adjustment (or switch to the Standard AMP mode, which is the default, and keeps both adjustments at a midpoint)."

http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/Samsung...DTV_Review.htm

Thank you @Musician
post #16890 of 22223 Old 04-02-2015, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3933 Post(s)
Liked: 2939
yes panel is 120hz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
samsung u8550 , Samsung Un55c8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv , un55hu9000 , un65hu9000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page