OFFICIAL Samsung 4k HU8550 and HU9000 thread - Page 672 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4980Likes

post #20131 of 22338 Old 08-01-2015, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 16
EDIT: Nevermind, it randomly got fixed somehow after playing with all these settings. Nothing I hadn't done before, just randomly started working again. Wish I knew how to fix it...

Thanks.

Sorry, having another frustrating set of issues...

1.) TV no longer wants to accept any audio over HDMI. At least on one input but I assume others. Smart Apps like YouTube seem to have audio just fine.

2.) PC no longer detects the display via HDMI. Can't adjust resolution to anything the TV supports. I can tell because I can remote desktop into the PC from another computer and it only has 640x480 and sees the TV as a 'mobile display'.

I did a reset of the settings and still no luck. Unplugged power. Unplugged all the HDMIs... nothing seems to fix it.

EDIT: Nevermind, it randomly got fixed somehow after playing with all these settings. Nothing I hadn't done before, just randomly started working again. Wish I knew how to fix it...

Last edited by Actaeon; 08-01-2015 at 07:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20132 of 22338 Old 08-01-2015, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Anyone else get a top bar notification about some new dumb game available on smarthub?? First time its happened and I'm pissed. I opted out of everything possible but it still showed up.

I don't want my own TV notifying me about available apps whenever Samsung feels like it. What the hell??
pilotart likes this.
post #20133 of 22338 Old 08-01-2015, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeninsulaMark View Post
SAMSUNG:

The software on my 55" 8550 is 1111. Don't want to update to 1120, and that should be my right. Ever 1-2 hours your software annoys me to update, and that's despite entering "Never Update".

Please release 1111.5 which will keep the set at 1111 but respect the entering of "never update".

UPDATE: If I must seek psychological counseling as a consequence of your top banner annoyances, will forward the professional services bill to you for full payment.

Does Samsung read this forum? For 36 hours now, despite turning the TVs off and on, there have been no further reminders to update. Current version on 55" = 1120, but no new update is listed. People have had this happen before. Once I used a USB stick to update.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20134 of 22338 Old 08-02-2015, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Does Samsung read this forum? For 36 hours now, despite turning the TVs off and on, there have been no further reminders to update. Current version on 55" = 1120, but no new update is listed. People have had this happen before. Once I used a USB stick to update.

1120 is the most current

Hu8700 owner
post #20135 of 22338 Old 08-02-2015, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnat0712 View Post
1120 is the most current

Hu8700 owner
I had the set on "Do Not Update" and automatic update was turned off. So Samsung performed an UPDATE RAPE. Oh well, the picture doesn't look worse.
Mnat0712 likes this.
post #20136 of 22338 Old 08-02-2015, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked: 570
Quote:
I had the set on "Do Not Update" and automatic update was turned off. So Samsung performed an UPDATE RAPE. Oh well, the picture doesn't look worse.
Are you saying that your 8550's have also been Forced to 'Update'?

Samsung's Forced Firmware into my 8550 to make it 'look' like Tizen and perhaps induce me into 'going for the SEK3500' is a definite backfire on that idea. Especially now that they have replaced that 'Nag-Strip' with their even much more annoying Advertising-Strip.

Had I known 'what I know now', I'd have implemented the Router Blocks on their Update Websites and kept it on FW2143, which was the best Firmware for my system.

I'm just glad that (thanks for great knowledge and help from AVS Member's) I was able to do this for my new DVR+ (also delivered with excellent Firmware, far better than latest (which also adds support for things I don't want and takes support away from what I do have).
Art
post #20137 of 22338 Old 08-02-2015, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
UN75HU8550 10-Bit?

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and was wondering if someone can help me with technical specs of the UN75HU8550.

I recently purchased this TV from Nice Electronics and I am awaiting its arrival. I spent hours trying to determine if this model ever truly came with a 10 Bit panel in it but have been unsucessful. The sales agent with Nice claimed it was a 10-Bit color so I decided to order. Here is the link to what I supposedly purchased. Their communication has been poor.

niceelectronics.com/prodinfo.phtml?id=236

Should I refuse shipment and send back? It looks as if there have been many problems/complaints with the models with Novatek Chip sets, is this model the one with the Novatek chipset?

I don't want to make a $3000 mistake.
Thanks for any help you can provide,
post #20138 of 22338 Old 08-02-2015, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post

Samsung's Forced Firmware into my 8550 to make it 'look' like Tizen and perhaps induce me into 'going for the SEK3500' is a definite backfire on that idea. Especially now that they have replaced that 'Nag-Strip' with their even much more annoying Advertising-Strip.

Had I known 'what I know now', I'd have implemented the Router Blocks on their Update Websites and kept it on FW2143, which was the best Firmware for my system.

I'm just glad that (thanks for great knowledge and help from AVS Member's) I was able to do this for my new DVR+ (also delivered with excellent Firmware, far better than latest (which also adds support for things I don't want and takes support away from what I do have).
Art

Art, I meticulously tried to not update, but somehow it did. Lower left hand corner now has a short bar: Featured (changing icons in one square), recent (HDMI 1), and garbage can.

PQ looks the same as before.

How to block updates in the router ?
pilotart likes this.
post #20139 of 22338 Old 08-02-2015, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

Art
I updated to 2250 after a couple of weeks of putting it off. But then it automatically updated to 2260. I'm suspicious as well if they are trying to force the OCB on us. What I'm more concerned about is Samsung messing things up through updates to let the OCB be the only option.

I personally have not noticed anything bad since 2220. But I'm stopped been too picky a few months back. It keeps you from enjoying watching your TV.
pilotart likes this.
post #20140 of 22338 Old 08-02-2015, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewayacts92 View Post
I updated to 2250 after a couple of weeks of putting it off. But then it automatically updated to 2260. I'm suspicious as well if they are trying to force the OCB on us. What I'm more concerned about is Samsung messing things up through updates to let the OCB be the only option.

I personally have not noticed anything bad since 2220. But I'm stopped been too picky a few months back. It keeps you from enjoying watching your TV.

I repeatedly pressed UPDATE NEVER and turned off AUTO UPDATES, but Samsung still raped my set. Waiting to find out how to block updates.
pilotart likes this.
post #20141 of 22338 Old 08-02-2015, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 241
only way is to turn off the internet to the tv

tv: Samsung 55HU8550
avr: Pioneer VSX 824
subs: Polk PSW108, Definitive Technology Pro-sub 800
l/r: Klipsch R28Fs, c: Infinity Beta C360 rear: cheapo Sharps
post #20142 of 22338 Old 08-02-2015, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by apora View Post
Hello,

I'm new to this forum and was wondering if someone can help me with technical specs of the UN75HU8550.

I recently purchased this TV from Nice Electronics and I am awaiting its arrival. I spent hours trying to determine if this model ever truly came with a 10 Bit panel in it but have been unsucessful. The sales agent with Nice claimed it was a 10-Bit color so I decided to order. Here is the link to what I supposedly purchased. Their communication has been poor.

niceelectronics.com/prodinfo.phtml?id=236

Should I refuse shipment and send back? It looks as if there have been many problems/complaints with the models with Novatek Chip sets, is this model the one with the Novatek chipset?

I don't want to make a $3000 mistake.
Thanks for any help you can provide,
My understanding is that there is no panel lottery on the 75-inch with respect to 10-bit vs. 8-bit. All are 10-bit. The 65-inch is a different matter.

As far as panels and chipsets, I have no idea.

What I would love to see is a definitive tabular reference across all models and panels, such as

Code:
Model        Panel   Bit Depth     Chipset
UN65HU8550   TS01    10-bit        Golf
UN65HU8550   TS02   etc.
And then see that added to the FAQ.
Ted99 and player002 like this.

"But I want to do community service; I want to teach the handicapped how to yodel." - Hudson Hawk
Samsung UN75HU8550 + SEK-3500U OCB, Samsung UBD-K8500 4K Blu-Ray
Martin Logan LX16 (x5), Klipsch RP-140SA (x4)
Elemental Designs A5-350 15-inch downfiring sub (x2)
Denon AVR-x4200w + Carver M-1.0t driving a 5.2.4 configuration
post #20143 of 22338 Old 08-02-2015, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdude111 View Post
Anyone else get a top bar notification about some new dumb game available on smarthub?? First time its happened and I'm pissed. I opted out of everything possible but it still showed up.

I don't want my own TV notifying me about available apps whenever Samsung feels like it. What the hell??
Yes, I got this game notification today also. I hope that this will not be a regular happening.
pilotart likes this.
post #20144 of 22338 Old 08-02-2015, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Cool Blocking Future Auto-Updates

Quote:
Art, I meticulously tried to not update, but somehow it did. Lower left hand corner now has a short bar: Featured (changing icons in one square), recent (HDMI 1), and garbage can.

PQ looks the same as before.

How to block updates in the router ?
This provides no protection from updates already loaded into your system, but should prevent any updates from being loaded in the future.

You will, of course still be able to download updates and install them using USB method.

As long as your Modem or Router provides ability to Block Websites, enabling that will protect you from future surprises!

Go to your Modem or Router's Support Site for specific instructions for How to Do it.

I've seen reports about Modem/Routers that only block websites on a nanny 'chip' containing a blacklist. I know nothing more about that or Modem/Router Firewall. You will just have to check your modem/router's support site.

I use the CenturyLink (provided) "Technicolor C2000T" Modem and this link opens Support Instructions for performing that task:
http://internethelp.centurylink.com/...-blocking.html

Your 8550's IP Address is seen on Menu>Network>Multimedia Device Settings and will be 192.168.x.x (mine is 192.168.0.7).

This is seen on the drop-down list on my Router Control site, or it could be entered Manually.

Then in the 'box' for "website to block" enter the following URL's (mine requires a separate operation for each website:

You would need to enter samsungotn.net

and then do it again for: msecnd.net

(My Router would only Block above URL's for specific IP Address, but two below were accepted as blocked for "All LAN Devices".)

and this: www.samsungotn.net

and this: test.samsungotn.net

I prefer to place the block for those websites on "All LAN Devices" if possible. That would block the 8550 no matter what IP Address it was using. Removing Blocks in future (if you want) is easier.

This will not prevent you from access to YouTube or any other SmartHub app or other Web based services (Like Getting BIG BANG Rabbid)

Those four URL's were reported here and SammyGo as the URL's to block to prevent auto update and manual except for USB update.

(BTW the SammyGo Service Menu method will not be possible on our 8550's.)

The picture below is what I see if I try to open "www.samsungotn.net" which is blocked on "All LAN Devices"
(There is nothing for you to see on that site anyway)
Art
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	samsungotn.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	865370  
post #20145 of 22338 Old 08-02-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyharmonies View Post
My understanding is that there is no panel lottery on the 75-inch with respect to 10-bit vs. 8-bit. All are 10-bit. The 65-inch is a different matter.

As far as panels and chipsets, I have no idea.

What I would love to see is a definitive tabular reference across all models and panels, such as

Code:
Model        Panel   Bit Depth     Chipset
UN65HU8550   TS01    10-bit        Golf
UN65HU8550   TS02   etc.
And then see that added to the FAQ.
That is my understanding as well. All HU9000s and all 75 + 85" HU8550s are 10-bit. The rest of the 8550 sizes is either 8 or 10 bit.

You won't be able to tell the chipset until you receive the package and possibly look at the firmware. My understanding is that all TS01s are Golf and TS02s could be Golf or Novatek. If you have a TS02 then you need to check the internal software to verify.

I also understand that chipset doesn't matter if you plan on upgrading to the SEK3500 since that replaces the internal chipset. Also FWIW, I have a 75" with the Novatek without the SEK3500U and minus a few usability quirks I had to figure out (which I don't think is specifically a Novatek issue) it has been a good so far. It won't matter once I get my SEK3500 but I wouldn't let the Novatek chipset scare you off, especially if you are going to upgrade with the SEK3500U which is better than either the native Golf or Novateks that originally come in the HU8550s.
Ted99 likes this.
post #20146 of 22338 Old 08-03-2015, 12:14 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Yes. I'm pissed too. This is how Samsung treats their customers. I think I'm done with them. WTF does the *NO* notifications setting mean if you still get them?!? I never opted in to their advertizing!

Quote:

post #20147 of 22338 Old 08-03-2015, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 151
I believe the setting to turn off notifications disappeared with version 2250 (golf chipset).
post #20148 of 22338 Old 08-03-2015, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actaeon View Post
That is my understanding as well. All HU9000s and all 75 + 85" HU8550s are 10-bit. The rest of the 8550 sizes is either 8 or 10 bit.

You won't be able to tell the chipset until you receive the package and possibly look at the firmware. My understanding is that all TS01s are Golf and TS02s could be Golf or Novatek. If you have a TS02 then you need to check the internal software to verify.

I also understand that chipset doesn't matter if you plan on upgrading to the SEK3500 since that replaces the internal chipset. Also FWIW, I have a 75" with the Novatek without the SEK3500U and minus a few usability quirks I had to figure out (which I don't think is specifically a Novatek issue) it has been a good so far. It won't matter once I get my SEK3500 but I wouldn't let the Novatek chipset scare you off, especially if you are going to upgrade with the SEK3500U which is better than either the native Golf or Novateks that originally come in the HU8550s.
I have 75 with TS01. According to the test (if I'm not mistaken) this indicates 10bit. But please correct me if I'm wrong
player002 likes this.
post #20149 of 22338 Old 08-03-2015, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I've been a long time reader on this forum. First time posting. Sendin out a Big Thank you to everybody! Your help and stories have made my TV viewing experience even better.

Id like to chime in and post about how I keep seeing the obnoxious game advertisements since the 2260 update. So far since last week, the same ad for this one game for kids would appear every time I boot up a game console xbox or PS. I'd recommend the self control that our friend Mr. Pilotart utilizes with the firmware updates. Cheers man! Thanks for looking out.

Damnit Samsung! No More Ads - No more nonsense. *****s Weak!
pilotart likes this.

Samsung UN60HU8550 - HS01
post #20150 of 22338 Old 08-03-2015, 11:59 AM

Quick Question thats slightly off topic but still related - I have some Best Buy Reward Points and want to get something for my new TV. Any suggestions? The SEK3500 is already on order from another retailer, so I don't need those. I have a speaker setup already, so no need for a sound bar.

Only thing that comes to mind are HDMI 2.0 cables since I don't have any but they're so much cheaper at Amazon I rather use the Best Buy reward points for something else.
post #20151 of 22338 Old 08-03-2015, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Quote:

Sadly, I am getting this popup everyday now... I can't figure out on how to block it other than disconnecting it from the internet...
pilotart and R.Dub like this.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #20152 of 22338 Old 08-03-2015, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quick Question thats slightly off topic but still related - I have some Best Buy Reward Points and want to get something for my new TV. Any suggestions? The SEK3500 is already on order from another retailer, so I don't need those. I have a speaker setup already, so no need for a sound bar.

Only thing that comes to mind are HDMI 2.0 cables since I don't have any but they're so much cheaper at Amazon I rather use the Best Buy reward points for something else.
I like BB, but connector cables (HDMI to RCA) are a real rip-off there and probably vie with their 'extended warranties' as profit centers.

You really Pay (X 2 or 3) for a convenience of picking up while you're there, and since you're often already spending hundreds or thousands "what's a few bucks more..."

A purchase that I have been most happy with lately; is the Channel Master DVR+ 16GB. Now that is strictly for those of us who have 'cut-the-cable' and enjoying the superior Picture Quality of the Over-The-Air Antenna (but hate the commercials).

If you're a CATV customer, you may already have a DVR option. Prism TV had me hooked on their DVR Service @ $8.95 a month.

That was really the only thing I missed after 'cutting loose' in 2013.

The CM DVR+ is the equal of the Prism DVR, without the $8.95 on top of the $80+ monthly fee (no other Premiums beyond "HD"...).

I know now that even if I were still on CATV's 'hook', I would investigate a stand-alone DVR rather than that $8.95 rental. The straw that 'broke-the-camel's-back' on my CATV was after returning from a three week trip, finding out that my $8.95 DVR had failed to record a single thing I had programmed it to do.....GONE!!!

So, you might see what BB has for 'no-subscription' DVR's, just don't get your hook-up cables or extended warranty there. If you have some points left over, their iTune's Gift Cards (usually 10-25% off face value) make great gifts.

As far as extended warranty, most Credit Cards will Double your Warranty for free (I've used it and it work's fine) Square Trade is best deal if you must have more, but shop-the-price. Discover Card (in addition to warranty) has a 90 Day Purchase Protection which in addition to the "theft, accident, etc." that AX/VISA/MC offers; now provides Price Protection for 90 Days. So if the price drops by November, you get a refund for the difference.
Art
post #20153 of 22338 Old 08-03-2015, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Dub View Post
<....>
I'd like to chime in and post about how I keep seeing the obnoxious game advertisements since the 2260 update. So far since last week, the same ad for this one game for kids would appear every time I boot up a game console xbox or PS. I'd recommend the self control that our friend Mr. Pilotart utilizes with the firmware updates. Cheers man! Thanks for looking out.

Dammit Samsung! No More Ads - No more nonsense. *****s Weak!
I am hoping that we can soon discover the URL's they're using to pump that crap into our TV's, so they too can be blocked.

I enjoy the Amazon, Vimeo and YouTube apps too much to go completely off-line.
Art
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	samsungotn.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	867106  
Actaeon likes this.
post #20154 of 22338 Old 08-03-2015, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
mounting screws for 8550???

can't seem to locate them -- anyone know where they were in the box? I doubt that they would forget them. thanks!
post #20155 of 22338 Old 08-03-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Thank you Art, I appreciate the reply. I do have a TiVo DVR with service already, so I'm all set on the DVR options. I should have been more clear up front on what I already have or don't have.

I do not need an extended warranty because as you mentioned I have my warranty extended by purchasing using my AMEX. Not quite as good as the longer term 4 yr SquareTrades but two years total for free isn't shabby. Just hoping I don't have to ever use it.

I will also keep the price matching option in mind. I got mine for really really cheap since it was on clearance but I'll keep checking the price to see if it goes down so I can price match. Thanks for the reminder.

I like your gift cards idea, maybe I should just buy a gift card so I can use my reward points before they expire. They expire very rapidly after issuance, so I have about a month to decide what I really want otherwise they'll go to waste.
pilotart likes this.
post #20156 of 22338 Old 08-03-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmkr27 View Post
can't seem to locate them -- anyone know where they were in the box? I doubt that they would forget them. thanks!
I think mine were taped to the stand in a really small plastic bag.
pilotart likes this.
post #20157 of 22338 Old 08-03-2015, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I have only seen one add (scrolling on top of screen) once since I updated to 2260. With this update the adds in the banner on bottom of screen, when the Smart Hub button is pressed, is gone.

You can try this and see if it takes away those adds on top of screen:
Smart Hub
>Apps Settings
>Push Notification Settings
>Push Notification OFF

This has not been an issue with me and I just noticed I had it set to ON.
pilotart likes this.
post #20158 of 22338 Old 08-03-2015, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think mine were taped to the stand in a really small plastic bag.
Yes. I had trouble finding them initially, but they were there. A difficult chore was discerning which screw goes where on the standard stand. The pix were silly.
post #20159 of 22338 Old 08-04-2015, 01:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I Figured out a solution to apps that are not working. Instead of factory resetting and losing all saved settings. Unplug your TV until the red light goes off if it doesn't press the power button on the tv until it does. When you plug in your TV it should say smart tv like it is first booting up. If it doesn't repeat the process. Once you see smart tv reopen the app it should work now.
post #20160 of 22338 Old 08-04-2015, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Quoted: 2726 Post(s)
Liked: 5667
Quote:
Originally Posted by lol044 View Post
I Figured out a solution to apps that are not working. Instead of factory resetting and losing all saved settings. Unplug your TV until the red light goes off if it doesn't press the power button on the tv until it does. When you plug in your TV it should say smart tv like it is first booting up. If it doesn't repeat the process. Once you see smart tv reopen the app it should work now.
Actually your not the first person to post on this (nor was I). Dozens and dozens of posts on this thread (and others) provide that as a first recommendation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
First thing to try:

Step1: Turn the TV Off
Step 2: Unplug the TV
Step 3: Wait a couple of minutes until red light on TV goes off
Step 4: Plug the TV back in
Step 5: Turn the TV back on and cross your fingers

Please report back and let us know if this cured the problem.
As mentioned, to speed up Step 3, after unplugging the TV hit the remote On/Off button and wait until the light stops flashing or, to speed it up even more, you can use can keep jiggling the joystick control on the rear of the TV.

BTW, welcome to the thread.

Samsung UN78HU9000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1550.0
Samsung UN40HU7000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1550.0
Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player; Apple TV 4K; Acer 4K HTPC
Arris VIP5662W UHD Whole Home DVR; Chromecast Ultra
Marantz SR7005 Receiver; Magnepan Speakers; Martin Logan Subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
samsung u8550 , Samsung Un55c8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv , un55hu9000 , un65hu9000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page