OFFICIAL Samsung 4k HU8550 and HU9000 thread - Page 677 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4774Likes

post #20281 of 22234 Old 08-16-2015, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hey there. I have the UN78HU9000FXZA and have had it for a few months. I feel it's burned in pretty decent now and was curious how to deal with the clouding issues in the corners. I notice it on pitch black scenes. I've read something about massaging it out of the panel but wanted more clarification before trying so as to not damage the panel / TV. can someone describe the process please?

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20282 of 22234 Old 08-16-2015, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Quoted: 2656 Post(s)
Liked: 5322
Quote:
Originally Posted by slinger45 View Post
Anyone have any tips on getting optical out to work? Tried everything I could think of so far and no dice.

75hu8550 w/ sek3500 and Denon X1000

TV it set to optical out in sound settings. Bitstreamed.

Have the avr inputs set up right too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL600 View Post
Try this:

Menu > Sound > Additional Settings > HDMI Audio Format (Change it from Bitstream to PCM).
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatel1080 View Post
That is a less than ideal solution as you would want the receiver to process the signal rather than the TV. PCM will cause the TV to process the DD or DTS .
May not be ideal but at this point @slinger45 can't get any sound at all so at least @SL600 's post offers something to try while narrowing down the problem. But to tell you the truth I doubt that there is anything wrong with the SEK-3500's optical out.

An easy way to verify this is to look at the side of the SEK-3500 and if there is a glowing red light coming from the Optical Out it is more than likely working.

Beyond that make sure you have set up the SEK3500 Speaker Settings correctly. Here is what the manual states...

Connecting a device using an optical cable does not automatically turn off the TV speakers. To turn off the TV's speakers, set Speaker Select (MENU Select) to something other than TV Speaker.

Although you indicate in your post that you "have the AVR inputs set up right too", I would guess that may not be the case and that this is where the problem really lies. AVR's generally default to HDMI for all inputs and need to be configured in the menu when you plan on using something else, such as Optical or Component or Composite connections.

Personally since the SEK-3500's input 4 can be set up as an Audio Return Channel (ARC) sometimes refereed to as CEC or Anynet+, I would go that route first. Generally most guys choose to go the Optical route when they can't get ARC working or are using a sound bar.

Perhaps if after verifying the above you are still having issues you might want to post in the Denon X1000 thread.

Good luck.
SL600 likes this.

Samsung UN78HU9000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UN40HU7000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player; Apple TV 4K
Arris VIP5662W UHD Whole Home DVR; Chromecast Ultra
Marantz SR7005 Receiver; Magnepan Speakers; Martin Logan Subwoofer

Last edited by Musician; 08-16-2015 at 08:08 AM.
post #20283 of 22234 Old 08-16-2015, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
At this point I think @SL600 's post at least offers something to try but to tell you the truth I doubt that there is anything wrong with the SEK-3500's optical out.

An easy way to verify this is to look at the side of the SEK-3500 and if their is a glowing red light coming from the Optical Out it is more than likely working.

Beyond that make sure you have set up the SEK3500 Speaker Settings correctly. Here is what he manual states...

Connecting a device using an optical cable does not automatically turn off the TV speakers. To turn off the TV's speakers, set Speaker Select (MENU Select) to something other than TV Speaker.

Although you indicate in your post that you "have the AVR inputs set up right too", I would guess that may not be the case and that this is where the problem really lies. AVR's generally default to HDMI for all inputs and need to be configured in the menu when you plan on using something else, such as Optical or Component or Composite connections.

Personally since the SEK-3500's input 4 can be set up as an Audio Return Channel (ARC) sometimes tefereed to as CEC or Anynet+, I would go that route first. Generally most guys choose to go the Optical route when they can't get ARC working or are using a sound bar.

Perhaps if after verifying the above you are still having issues you might want to post in the Denon X1000 thread.

Good luck.
ARC is great in concept but the interactions between devices is much less than ideal. I have a Denon AVR and the 75HU8550 with SEK-3500U box. I have input 3 and 4 going from the receiver to the TV. My intention was to use input 3 on the TV for all activities and use input 4 (ARC) only when using the samsung smart apps. The problem is that even when using input 3 the TV keeps trying to change the receiver to "TV". I had to set a 15 second delay and send another command to the receiver to put the input back to what it should be. I am contemplating just using optical so that I do not have to wait so long when turning on or switching activities.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20284 of 22234 Old 08-16-2015, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
May not be ideal but at this point @slinger45 can't get any sound at all so at least @SL600 's post offers something to try while narrowing down the problem. But to tell you the truth I doubt that there is anything wrong with the SEK-3500's optical out.

An easy way to verify this is to look at the side of the SEK-3500 and if there is a glowing red light coming from the Optical Out it is more than likely working.

Beyond that make sure you have set up the SEK3500 Speaker Settings correctly. Here is what the manual states...

Personally since the SEK-3500's input 4 can be set up as an Audio Return Channel (ARC) sometimes tefereed to as CEC or Anynet+, I would go that route first. Generally most guys choose to go the Optical route when they can't get ARC working or are using a sound bar.

Good luck.
As is tHe case normally, definitely human error on my part. I didn't even notice the optical out on the sek since its on the side. Nonetheless I plugged it in there and were good to go. I had been using arc as a alternative but it's pretty glitchy.

Now the last thing I have to figure out is why I can't get videos to play on mlb.tv or wwe network. Gives me a network error but Amazon, Netflix and YouTube all work.

Also where is the dang turn off notifications in the menu? All I see is notifications, not a setting to turn it off anywhere

LR: LG 65C7P - LG SJ9 - D* HR54 - Apple TV 4K - Phillips 7302
Mancave: Sony XBR75X940E - Marantz SR6011 5.2.4 - Fronts - Klipsch RF82II - Center - Klipsch RC62II - Rears - Klipsch R15M - Atmos - Micca M8C - Sub - Monolith 12" (2), Sony X700 - D* C61K - Apple TV 4K
post #20285 of 22234 Old 08-16-2015, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
ARC is great in concept but the interactions between devices is much less than ideal. I have a Denon AVR and the 75HU8550 with SEK-3500U box. I have input 3 and 4 going from the receiver to the TV. My intention was to use input 3 on the TV for all activities and use input 4 (ARC) only when using the samsung smart apps. The problem is that even when using input 3 the TV keeps trying to change the receiver to "TV". I had to set a 15 second delay and send another command to the receiver to put the input back to what it should be. I am contemplating just using optical so that I do not have to wait so long when turning on or switching activities.
So twice now you have responded to posters offering assistance stating their suggestions are "less than ideal". So what is ideal? No Sound?
SL600 likes this.

post #20286 of 22234 Old 08-16-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
So twice now you have responded to posters offering assistance stating their suggestions are "less than ideal". So what is ideal? No Sound?
For the poster optical would be ideal with bitstream output. If you are forced to use PCM then you are depending on the audio decoding abilities of the TV which are likely not as good as an AVR. If ARC did not keep trying to change the input of my receiver for 12 or so seconds then that would be the ideal solution for me.
post #20287 of 22234 Old 08-16-2015, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For the poster optical would be ideal with bitstream output. If you are forced to use PCM then you are depending on the audio decoding abilities of the TV which are likely not as good as an AVR. If ARC did not keep trying to change the input of my receiver for 12 or so seconds then that would be the ideal solution for me.
I guess you missed my point. At this point @SL600 and I were just helping @slinger45 get some sound out of his SEK.

Glad to see he is now up and running... with bitstream optical to boot.

And FYI, I am running ARC with none of the glitches you describe on my Marantz.
SL600 likes this.

Last edited by Musician; 08-16-2015 at 08:35 AM.
post #20288 of 22234 Old 08-16-2015, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 260 Post(s)
Quoted: 12679 Post(s)
Liked: 11914
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkeye View Post
hey there. I have the UN78HU9000FXZA and have had it for a few months. I feel it's burned in pretty decent now and was curious how to deal with the clouding issues in the corners. I notice it on pitch black scenes. I've read something about massaging it out of the panel but wanted more clarification before trying so as to not damage the panel / TV. can someone describe the process please?

thanks!

just take a microfiber cloth(so that it wont scratch). and massage the screen as if your cleaning off some smudges. you can apply some pressure. you can use wax on wax off motion if you want. or paint the fence. or even side to side. make sure it comes from the heart though.

82Q90R*75Q9FN(RIP)*55C8OLED*Galaxy Note10+*Ub820 fed into Oppo 203*XB1X*4k DenonX4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN
post #20289 of 22234 Old 08-16-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
I guess you missed my point. At this point @SL600 and I were just helping @slinger45 get some sound out of his SEK.

Glad to see he is now up and running... with bitstream optical to boot.

And FYI, I am running ARC with none of the glitches you describe on my Marantz.
How do you have It set up so that the tv does not keep trying to change the input of the receiver? Are you using the Sek-3500u box as well?
post #20290 of 22234 Old 08-16-2015, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How do you have It set up so that the tv does not keep trying to change the input of the receiver? Are you using the Sek-3500u box as well?
Um, correctly, haha.

A better question might be how do you have it set up that causes it to keep on trying to change the inputs on the Receiver?

Yes I do have the SEK-3500U but had no problems with the HU9000's One Connect Box or the Panasonic TV it replaced.

If it helps, here is a copy of my wiring diagram (see thumbnail). Other than that I have my Marantz and TV setup according to the user manual's for the ARC (CEC-HDMI) Anynet+ functions.

As you can appreciate, I steer away from specific setup questions since they can be especially time consuming and are very specific between equipment manufacturers especially when I don't own the same devices or have them hooked up the same. Also as I have learned, some people can get very testy when you aren't able to solve THEIR problem.

Maybe somebody with your AVR make and model that has succesfully implemented ARC can chime in and offer you some suggestions.

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	889922  
Mnat0712 likes this.

post #20291 of 22234 Old 08-16-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Um, correctly, haha.

A better question might be how do you have it set up that causes it to keep on trying to change the inputs on the Receiver?

Yes I do have the SEK-3500U but had no problems with the HU9000's One Connect Box or the Panasonic TV it replaced.

If it helps, here is a copy of my wiring diagram (see thumbnail). Other than that I have my Marantz and TV setup according to the user manual's for the ARC (CEC-HDMI) Anynet+ functions.

As you can appreciate, I steer away from specific setup questions since they can be especially time consuming and are very specific between equipment manufacturers especially when I don't own the same devices or have them hooked up the same. Also as I have learned, some people can get very testy when you aren't able to solve THEIR problem.

Maybe somebody with your AVR make and model that has succesfully implemented ARC can chime in and offer you some suggestions.

Good luck.
I see. your system setup is very different than mine. I am running everything through the receiver first and then to the TV.

I have the receiver hooked from monitor 1 output to HDMI 1 on the TV, and hooked from Monitor 2 ARC to HDMI 4 on the TV. All activities are set to use HDMI 1 on the TV, and "Watch smart tv" activity is set to use HDMI 4 on the tv. Despite this when i select any other activity for example "Watch TV" which should use HDMI 1 on TV and SAT/CBL on receiver, the TV will change the input of the receiver from SAT/CBL to TV shortly after power up. I then have to use a 15 second delay to resend the SAT/CBL input to the receiver and it works fine from then on.

I guess i will just have to deal with the delays or use an optical cable for the audio from the TV apps and turn off the HDMI-CEC.

Last edited by mpatel1080; 08-16-2015 at 10:01 AM.
post #20292 of 22234 Old 08-16-2015, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
The Denon receiver should have an HDMI setting to turn off audio switching. Have you checked that setting?
post #20293 of 22234 Old 08-16-2015, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I see. your system setup is very different than mine. I am running everything through the receiver first and then to the TV.

I have the receiver hooked from monitor 1 output to HDMI 1 on the TV, and hooked from Monitor 2 ARC to HDMI 4 on the TV. All activities are set to use HDMI 1 on the TV, and "Watch smart tv" activity is set to use HDMI 4 on the tv. Despite this when i select any other activity for example "Watch TV" which should use HDMI 1 on TV and SAT/CBL on receiver, the TV will change the input of the receiver from SAT/CBL to TV shortly after power up. I then have to use a 15 second delay to resend the SAT/CBL input to the receiver and it works fine from then on.

I guess i will just have to deal with the delays or use an optical cable for the audio from the TV apps and turn off the HDMI-CEC.
And this is the reason I avoid setup stuff.

I understand the first paragraph and last paragraph but the middle has my brain hurting, LOL. Much easier if you had a wiring diagram. I also surmise you are using a Programable Remote wheras I am using the one that came with the TV.

You stated that "I have the receiver hooked from monitor 1 output to HDMI 1 on the TV, and hooked from Monitor 2 ARC to HDMI 4 on the TV"

If I understand correctly, I'm not sure why you would have two Video Outs hooked up from your AVR. The beaty of ARC is that it is designed to send audio in both directions and avoids the need for the extra HDMI cable you have going into HDMI 1.

In other words for those of you running all your gear through your AVR you only need a single HDMI cable from your AVR's ARC enabled TV Out to the ARC In (HDMI 3 on the original OCB vs HDMI 4 on the new SEK-3500).

Then you go on to say that "the TV will change the input of the receiver from SAT/CBL to TV shortly after power up" but I believe this is just a side effect of ARC which instructs the devices to switch to their HDMI-CEC inputs -- vis-a-vis the AVR switches to TV. Maybe I am missing something here, but why not just hook up your SAT/CBL to the TV input and rename the input?

See why I avoid this stuff. It just took me close to an hour to type an answer I know you are going to hate.

Oh well. You aren't the first to have issues with ARC and won't be the last. Look on the bright side. Optical offers the same 5.1 sound from the TV as HDMI ARC but without the Auto Lip Sync functionality.

Enjoy your TV.

post #20294 of 22234 Old 08-16-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
And this is the reason I avoid setup stuff.

I understand the first paragraph and last paragraph but the middle has my brain hurting, LOL. Much easier if you had a wiring diagram. I also surmise you are using a Programable Remote wheras I am using the one that came with the TV.

You stated that "I have the receiver hooked from monitor 1 output to HDMI 1 on the TV, and hooked from Monitor 2 ARC to HDMI 4 on the TV"

If I understand correctly, I'm not sure why you would have two Video Outs hooked up from your AVR. The beaty of ARC is that it is designed to send audio in both directions and avoids the need for the extra HDMI cable you have going into HDMI 1.

In other words for those of you running all your gear through your AVR you only need a single HDMI cable from your AVR's ARC enabled TV Out to the ARC In (HDMI 3 on the original OCB vs HDMI 4 on the new SEK-3500).

Then you go on to say that "the TV will change the input of the receiver from SAT/CBL to TV shortly after power up" but I believe this is just a side effect of ARC which instructs the devices to switch to their HDMI-CEC inputs -- vis-a-vis the AVR switches to TV. Maybe I am missing something here, but why not just hook up your SAT/CBL to the TV input and rename the input?

See why I avoid this stuff. It just took me close to an hour to type an answer I know you are going to hate.

Oh well. You aren't the first to have issues with ARC and won't be the last. Look on the bright side. Optical offers the same 5.1 sound from the TV as HDMI ARC but without the Auto Lip Sync functionality.

Enjoy your TV.

Thanks for your help!

I was trying to use 2 inputs from the TV to receiver in hopes that if the ARC input on the TV was not used it would not try to control the receiver...no such luck! I read that the newer Denons have a way to turn off the TV HDMI control, but mine does not (I have the AVR-4311CI).

I am using the optical out for the TV apps audio, which works much better...It's going to stay this way as summers are too short and its way too nice outside to be tinkering with this stuff right now.
Musician likes this.
post #20295 of 22234 Old 08-16-2015, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by elphillips View Post
NUGUY, try these settings for a start: post 20185, page 673 on this thread. He is using Cal-Night but try them on Movie.
Thanks
they're not much different from CNET and I can't say which one I like better
the only difference are sharpness, dynamic contrast, black tone, color space and a couple white balance settings
I like CNET custom color space better, looks more natural to me. the other settings- I'm not sure yet.
post #20296 of 22234 Old 08-17-2015, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ever since the latest firmware (1120? Can't recall 100% and not in front of the TV now), the "new look" of the OS has slowed our experience down slowly when navigating through the menus. Are others here experiencing this? I'm entertaining a reset, after copying the settings down on paper that I have, etc. Thoughts or is it just a dog now that Samsung apparently killed it? I will not be updating firmware as quickly ever again - lesson learned.

Zoom-Zoom
post #20297 of 22234 Old 08-17-2015, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydepo View Post
Unplugging over night didn't work. They are coming out on aug 17 to repair.
Well, Samsung came out and the problem was the T-con board failure. He did replace my whole panel though woot...
post #20298 of 22234 Old 08-17-2015, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydepo View Post
Well, Samsung came out and the problem was the T-con board failure. He did replace my whole panel though woot...
Interesting. I have had my T-Con in my HU7000 replaced before but when it ended up not solving the shaky picture issue I was having, back went the old.

Samsung isn't in the business of giving away free parts (especially the most expensive part of the TV) so I suspect the panel also may have been been part of the contributing factor. Otherwise it makes absolutely no sense why they would just throw that in.

Kinda like having a faulty starter motor and fixing that and then replacing the whole engine just for kicks.

Oh well, all's well that ends well.

post #20299 of 22234 Old 08-17-2015, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99RedSi View Post
Ever since the latest firmware (1120? Can't recall 100% and not in front of the TV now), the "new look" of the OS has slowed our experience down slowly when navigating through the menus. Are others here experiencing this? I'm entertaining a reset, after copying the settings down on paper that I have, etc. Thoughts or is it just a dog now that Samsung apparently killed it? I will not be updating firmware as quickly ever again - lesson learned.
YES, and completely agree. Please see my post:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post36188890

I did unplug the system overnight and that did help with the responsiveness, but it's still much slower than 1110. I haven't done a full reset because that's a PITA and ridiculous that we should have to do that for a firmware update.

I contacted Samsung support and they were useless. Full reset was their (possible) solution, and there's no way to roll back according to Samsung and everyone else here.

Fingers crossed that a future update will fix it. I'll be waiting for many positive reviews before installing, though.
post #20300 of 22234 Old 08-18-2015, 02:41 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Got mines a few weeks ago at a steal price to replace my curved HU7250 set and do not regret it! Love the silver finish and the LED light on the center.

Have always loved the flat screen look, curve mounted on a wall looks off to me for some reason, might just be me however.

Still a work in progress but my setup at the moment (getting new furniture, longer speaker wires, banana plugs, and better rear and center speakers and possibly a receiver upgrade if deemed necessary)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	11 - CmOBBrd.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	893034  
post #20301 of 22234 Old 08-18-2015, 03:14 AM

I'm having a bit of a problem, mostly because I'm a newb at this and not sure where to ask this but how do I get Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD on my A/V receiver?

I'm usually a thinker on these kind of things and try every possible solution I can think of before asking on forums but I am kind of stumped at the moment. I see some people on the forums getting it to work, some just giving up and settling for the source to do the heavy lifting and I really want to do that but it's bothering me that I can't get the DTS-HD / Dolby True-HD to light up on my A/V receiver, I must be doing something wrong.

The Samsung interface is kind of confusing for me on how to get this done and if I'm informed correctly on this, TrueHD and HD only work through HDMI ARC protocol?

I have my Onkyo HT-R592 A/V receiver connected to my HU8550 TV through the HDMI 4 ARC port (took me a while to figure out there was a designated ARC HDMI port, had to use Optical this whole entire time before this, scratching my head on how people were getting ARC to work in the process, it's not very well documented for us newbs here!)

I set the digital connection to None on my A/V receiver instead of OPT (optical) to ensure its running through the HDMI and audio is working but I still am not able to get the DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD icon to light up on my receiver, am I doing something wrong?

I have my

SOURCE (XBOX ONE)
Set to Bitstream out on HDMI and tried
1. Dolby Digital
2. DTS Digital Surround
3. Tried 5.1 and 7.1 uncompressed as well and worked fine but I heard if I set it to this, the Xbox ONE will be doing all the heavy lifting (decoding?) which is not what I'm trying to achieve

DISPLAY (HU8550)
Connected to
HDMI 1 for SOURCE (XB1) (both audio and video signals being carried through the HDMI cable)
HDMI 4 ARC port for Audio Return Channel on RECEIVER (HT-R592)

Note on Options I have set: Have gotten Dolby Digital, PCM, and DTS Neo 2:5 options to show up but have never gotten DTS to be select-able, it's always greyed out for me, even when source is set to DTS Digital Surround Bitstream Out and media playing has DTS-HD soundtrack (The Dark Knight Rises Blu-Ray)

I have found myself switching between PCM and DTS Neo 2:5 and playing around with the settings. Dolby Digital option always gives me a weak sound with missing center.

RECEIVER (HT-R592)
Connected via ARC, tried all the listening modes it always displays either PCM (which I've heard means the source or TV is doing the heavy lifting; i.e. decoding) or Dolby Digital (not PLII / EX and not TrueHD) with all the combination of options I've tried on both the SOURCE (XB1) and the DISPLAY

Only time I've gotten it to display DTS (not DTS Neo) is just half an hour ago when I set the SOURCE (XB1) to DTS Digital Surround (which was muffling for me before with DISPLAY set to PCM) and setting the DISPLAY to DTS Neo 2:5.

It sounds good, the DTS logo does show up and it says DTS when I click Display but I still don't get how I can't get it to display Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD when I'm running everything through HDMI ARC. Also still skeptical on my results as I've heard DTS Neo2:5 is a post-processing effect which is meant to simulate (upscale) surround from a 2 or 5 channel PCM source to 7.1 channel PCM.

Last thing I know I'm giving a lot of info but just want to cover base on everything I've done so someone can know what I miss if they read this possibly but I have gotten in my ears, perfect surround to work
when I connect the SOURCE (XB1) directly to the A/V receiver and run the image through there. It didn't say DTS or Dolby but I was able to set the SOURCE (XB1) to 7.1 surround uncompressed and on the RECEIVER display it said Linear PCM (LPCM) which I was under the pre-assumption is the decoded multi-channel PCM audio being played to me. Is there any way to get this by running the SOURCE to the DISPLAY, running the image through the RECEIVER produces a somewhat lacking and distorted image for me and I prefer a direct connection from the SOURCE to the DISPLAY.

I've attached pics in case it may be of some help, tried to document everything as much as possible although I don't have a pic of every single thing.

I really need some direction if someone can help me please I'm very new to all this and have always stuck with built-in TV speakers or subpar ($200 at most) soundbars and mid-range HTIB setups. This is my first real DIY surround setup.

Also for reference the audio setup I'm running in case it's needed
Onkyo RT-592 7.1 HTIB for Receiver
Definitive Technology Mythos STS SuperTower for Front
Onkyo SKC-591 2-Way Bass Reflex large speaker for Center
2x Onkyo SKF-591 2-Way Bass Reflex large speakers for Side
2x Onkyo SKF-590 2-Way Bass Reflex small speakers for Side
Onkyo SKW-591 Bass Reflex Powered Subwoofer for Sub

It's very subpar and it still needs some upgrades (especially the center) but I would really like to get the decoding part done first between the receiver and the TV/source before moving forward!

Any help would be truly, greatly appreciated, thank you!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	09 - Z8y8gQP.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	893042   Click image for larger version

Name:	08 - CNeqWwb.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	893050   Click image for larger version

Name:	10 - H9jQJse.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	893058   Click image for larger version

Name:	05 - NwFKte3.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	893066   Click image for larger version

Name:	04 - OXtA5F5.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	893074  

Name:	03 - 4msHlTr.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	893082   Click image for larger version

Name:	02 - hxRT9uk.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	893090   Click image for larger version

Name:	01 - ux1YwUa.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	893098   Click image for larger version

Name:	07 - 5guFhvW.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	893106   Click image for larger version

Name:	06 - FUh0G79.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	893114  

Name:	09 - pYxEFTm.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	893122   Click image for larger version

Name:	08 - KyC7qCr.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	893130   Click image for larger version

Name:	07 - DThg7CD.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	893138   Click image for larger version

Name:	02 - DBgISOZ.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	893146   Click image for larger version

Name:	06 - QkQhfb8.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	893154  

Name:	01 - ttRvFGg.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	893162   Click image for larger version

Name:	05 - GMTR2lq.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	893170   Click image for larger version

Name:	04 - yofRpBN.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	893178   Click image for larger version

Name:	10 - dLfPxGb.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	893186   Click image for larger version

Name:	03 - ytL9JXi.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	893194  

Name:	09 - UUrkCbF.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	893202   Click image for larger version

Name:	02 - e16Ipvr.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	893210   Click image for larger version

Name:	08 - uicNmAf.jpg
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	893218   Click image for larger version

Name:	07 - GrLskKu.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	893226   Click image for larger version

Name:	01 - RI0N2CZ.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	893234  

Name:	10 - Ak2c7OX.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	893242   Click image for larger version

Name:	06 - GRoXdJL.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	893250   Click image for larger version

Name:	05 - EkkW3Ch.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	893258   Click image for larger version

Name:	04 - mlUmDj2.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	893266   Click image for larger version

Name:	03 - G3zZJKD.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	893274  

Name:	05 - L0AmlCh.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	893282   Click image for larger version

Name:	04 - 4NpKW1F.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	893290   Click image for larger version

Name:	03 - xJS8ZGg.jpg
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	893298   Click image for larger version

Name:	02 - 6wiR3Nc.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	893306   Click image for larger version

Name:	01 - pv7nBw7.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	893314  

Name:	13 - 5EczxXd.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	893322   Click image for larger version

Name:	12 - jz3dFfs.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	893330   Click image for larger version

Name:	11 - I4ifsAM.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	893338   Click image for larger version

Name:	10 - C8x3K8a.jpg
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	893346   Click image for larger version

Name:	09 - etxDTR4.jpg
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	893354  

Name:	08 - ZX9KR0z.jpg
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	893362   Click image for larger version

Name:	07 - wTCyxSY.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	893370   Click image for larger version

Name:	06 - DiLpRzC.jpg
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	893378  
post #20302 of 22234 Old 08-18-2015, 03:17 AM

I am starting to think it's the TV firmware that is not up to par with doing proper ARC and trasmitting a raw undecoded Dolby TrueHD / DTS-HD signal to the A/V receiver but I am hoping that is not the case!

That or getting the TrueHD / DTS-HD signal to the A/V receiver is just a hard feat to do with sources like these (XB1 / PS4) or an A/V receiver like mine (HT-R592 Onkyo)
post #20303 of 22234 Old 08-18-2015, 03:42 AM

Okay, after some more researching I sincerely apologize, I just realized I was asking a very stupid question.

Xbox One and PS4 (eight-generation consoles) apparently cannot stream the pure undecoded, uncompressed lossless audio data yet even though the last-gen PS3 can.

and doing ARC I will always be limited to 5.1 like optical and the only real advantage of running ARC is the simplified cabling, no HD Audio unless I'm running the source directly to the receiver (no ARC involved there)

Please correct me if I'm wrong?

Still I would like to know why I cannot get the DTS option to show up as selectable on the Samsung HU8550 menu, no matter what options I pick
post #20304 of 22234 Old 08-18-2015, 03:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 2705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Villaverde Reyes View Post
Okay, after some more researching I sincerely apologize, I just realized I was asking a very stupid question.

Xbox One and PS4 (eight-generation consoles) apparently cannot stream the pure undecoded, uncompressed lossless audio data yet even though the last-gen PS3 can.

and doing ARC I will always be limited to 5.1 like optical and the only real advantage of running ARC is the simplified cabling, no HD Audio unless I'm running the source directly to the receiver (no ARC involved there)

Please correct me if I'm wrong?

Still I would like to know why I cannot get the DTS option to show up as selectable on the Samsung HU8550 menu, no matter what options I pick
Don't know about the game console issues, but you are correct, ARC cannot transfer lossless audio of any type.

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
post #20305 of 22234 Old 08-18-2015, 03:57 AM

I got it to work!!!! Not through TV but through the PS4.

Wow Sony got their reps up on this, I don't really know if HD Audio makes any difference yet since I'm not running the best audio but just the fact that Sony got this working (apparently it was broken on launch)

PS4 = true Direct Bitstream uncompressed HD Audio

Useful for multimedia, I guess the XB1 is not really ready to be the ONE yet

In case anyone needs this info in the future!

1. HDMI ARC cannot do HD Audio (DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD) and can only do 5.1 meaning the best implementation of HDMI ARC (HU8550 TV) still has limitations
2. Xbox ONE cannot transmit uncompressed lossless HD Audio (yet at least, hope Microsoft fixes this one!)
3. PS4 initially could not transmit uncompressed lossless HD Audio based on what I'm reading (forum posts in 2013 and 2014) but it's working now for me perfectly (set Bitstream to Direct when playing BD)
4. If you want HD Audio, run the source (PS4 or other HD Audio capable player) directly to the A/V receiver using HDMI only (no optical) and have the A/V receiver decode the audio signal and just send the picture over HDMI to the TV

Best setup for lossless HD audio at the current moment^

Don't think I'm sticking with it though, I like using my Samsung remote to switch between sources but good to know I conquered this problem and clarified some things for myself
post #20306 of 22234 Old 08-18-2015, 03:59 AM

Too many compromises... why oh why ARC.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	336bA8p.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	893386   Click image for larger version

Name:	NJteXf0.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	893394  
post #20307 of 22234 Old 08-18-2015, 05:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Villaverde Reyes View Post
Too many compromises... why oh why ARC.
Because it allows the use of a single HDMI cable, a benefit for those who stash their AV equipment away in a closet 25 cable feet away from the TV (like me). And when working correctly (which is currently not the case with the SEK-3500), it provides AVR TV audio source switching.
post #20308 of 22234 Old 08-18-2015, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 232
I find ARC quite functional with soundbars...or very simple avr setups. I have 46 inch h7150 model and a marantz nr 1603 running 2.1 and it works great off the candy bar og remote from Samsung with arc. however with the Denon avr 4311ci 78hu9000 with 3500u ocb I went back to optical for obvious reasons. the 2500u worked just fine. fwiw. I also have a denon 3312ci and sharp 80 inch that works fine over arc. where "samsung" any net is involved... inherited side effects are sure to follow close behind. any net should be seperare out from ARC. period!!!. shame on you samsung.
post #20309 of 22234 Old 08-18-2015, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Is this normal?
I have HU8500 with Novatek board and Asus gtx 980 ti, when i use it Uhd color on i dont see fox text rally good but when i change PC then i see it clearly?

I tought Novatek dosnt show 444 4K 60hz
post #20310 of 22234 Old 08-18-2015, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Anyone else have issues with the ESPN bottomline? A lot of the time its clear and smooth but occasionally its blurry, kind of intermittent.

ive got blur reduction at 10, judder at 0 if that matters, tried judder at 10 as well and everything turned off and it stick occurs....just an lcd thing or is there some setting i should have on or off?

LR: LG 65C7P - LG SJ9 - D* HR54 - Apple TV 4K - Phillips 7302
Mancave: Sony XBR75X940E - Marantz SR6011 5.2.4 - Fronts - Klipsch RF82II - Center - Klipsch RC62II - Rears - Klipsch R15M - Atmos - Micca M8C - Sub - Monolith 12" (2), Sony X700 - D* C61K - Apple TV 4K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
samsung u8550 , Samsung Un55c8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv , un55hu9000 , un65hu9000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page