OFFICIAL Samsung 4k HU8550 and HU9000 thread - Page 705 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4786Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #21121 of 22241 Old 01-29-2016, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
Bassplayer6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 656
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by geohop View Post
I have a Un50HU8550. Has anyone seen the 3840x2160 at he top of the screen when watching a 4k movie or picture. When I use the info button I only get 1080. Is there a special way to get the picture resolution ? Also I bought a Roku 4 and it won't work with this TV. Says it needs the 2.2 hand shack.
Try the hdmi port labeled mhl. It is the only one that supports hdcp 2.2
Mikejl likes this.
Bassplayer6 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #21122 of 22241 Old 01-29-2016, 11:58 PM
Member
 
prchohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
SEK-3500 for 65HU9000? You opinion please...

Hi everyone, it's been a few months since I was on this board. Your suggestions helped me buy and set up a 65" HU9000 back in December 2014. Now that the SEK-3500 has been out for a while and people have been discussing it actively in the context of upcoming Bluray players among other things, I wanted to get your input on whether I should buy so as long as they are available. Sorry about the long post in advance.

My setup: HDMI 1 - Latest Apple TV. HDMI 2 - Fire Tv (seldom used). HDMI 3 - Onkyo 515 receiver with 1080p up scaling but no pass through. Time Warner box connected to the receiver. Receiver is also used to receive Apple TV and Samsung's Netflix/YouTube/Amazon app sound through ARC.

Since this is a pretty simple setup (relatively), do I need the SEK-3500 box? I am not sure if I'll be getting the upcoming Bluray players. I read all of those comparisons what 8550 and 9000 will gain with the box but have forgotten now and frankly don't fully understand the merits of having 4:4:4, HDR, HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.1a. But at the same time I want to future proof as much as practically possible. Will I have to have a better AV receiver as well to fully take advantage of the new OCB? I trust your advice so if anyone could explain some of these concepts/issues and opinion on whether I should upgrade (preferably their own experience about improvement compared to before SEK-3500 on HU9000 - looks like HU8550 upgrade is a much better value) I'll greatly appreciate it. I'll continue to look thru this and new OCB forum but look forward to hearing your expert opinion. Thanks much.

Last edited by prchohan; 01-30-2016 at 01:11 AM.
prchohan is offline  
post #21123 of 22241 Old 01-30-2016, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
p5browne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 10,200
Mentioned: 242 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4008 Post(s)
Liked: 3182
BIG question at this point is: Is Samsung going to produce anymore SEK-3500Us?
If not, I would definitely purchase now while # 1 There's stock and # 2 Before prices go up as it gets harder to find!
player002 likes this.

UN65KS9800 - Mine
UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U in UJS9000 Mod Mode / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)
p5browne is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #21124 of 22241 Old 01-30-2016, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pilotart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 1,220
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 511
@prchohan , don't know where you saw "....looks like HU8550 upgrade is a much better value...." but it actually looks like the 9000's get the most out of it.
@p5browne , would expect it unlikely that they will still produce 3500's now with a 2016 version soon to be introduced.

As I recall, they should have a new "Evolution Kit" introduced every year for five years or so.

As for me, I'm perfectly pleased with what I have for now and don't plan on buying any "Evolution Kit" until perhaps after the last one has been out for a while.

But then, I've never been attracted by "the latest" for any product.
Art
pilotart is offline  
post #21125 of 22241 Old 01-30-2016, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
p5browne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 10,200
Mentioned: 242 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4008 Post(s)
Liked: 3182
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
@prchohan , don't know where you saw "....looks like HU8550 upgrade is a much better value...." but it actually looks like the 9000's get the most out of it.
@p5browne , would expect it unlikely that they will still produce 3500's now with a 2016 version soon to be introduced.

As I recall, they should have a new "Evolution Kit" introduced every year for five years or so.

As for me, I'm perfectly pleased with what I have for now and don't plan on buying any "Evolution Kit" until perhaps after the last one has been out for a while.

But then, I've never been attracted by "the latest" for any product.
Art

Samsung Rep at CES said NO Evo Kit this year - big FW update instead. Which begs the question, what OCB will be on the KS Series?
pilotart likes this.

UN65KS9800 - Mine
UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U in UJS9000 Mod Mode / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)
p5browne is offline  
post #21126 of 22241 Old 01-30-2016, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pilotart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 1,220
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 511
@p5browne , I'm sure that's Great News for all of those who spent hundreds for their Last EVO Kit! Big improvement over the usual "Planned Obsolescence" every year.

I take it that the "....big FW update...." will be for the 3500 as well as the JS models..

After some really disappointing FW Flashes in the past from Samsung, I've blocked them (at Modem Level) from any more automatic updates. USB Flashes are still available for me whenever I might want them.

I expect the 2016 'KS' will get an identical OCB to the 'J's with that FW installed.

I didn't pay any attention to CES this year, but expect Samsung will have enough 'improvements' in their 2016's hardware without OCB change.
Art
pilotart is offline  
post #21127 of 22241 Old 01-31-2016, 05:56 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassplayer6 View Post
It should work on the mhl port (the only that supports hdcp 2.2).
It won't support all bells and whistles but you should be able to watch most/99% of the content.
Actually he will be able to watch everything just not in HDR. All HDR blurays should be able to play the content without HDR.
mike_k is offline  
post #21128 of 22241 Old 01-31-2016, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
GeneWildersHair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 1,102
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Does anyone have a cure for the audio sync issues that plague my hu8550? It seems no matter the firmware, or one connect box connected or not there is a an audio sync issue that can't be totally defeated. It seems that the audio delay slider it provides within the sound settings need to be adjusted into the negative instead of adding lag to the sound. At least on my set it seems I need to speed up the sound to match the display. I know I can't be the only one that has this issue. I've searched this thread, and seen it mentioned but any of that chatter quieted pretty quickly. Thanks
GeneWildersHair is offline  
post #21129 of 22241 Old 01-31-2016, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: florida
Posts: 1,197
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 239
When does it delay? Netflix, Blu-ray? So what's the official word on using the new Samsung 4k Blu-ray player with a 8550 without a sek3500?

tv: Samsung 55HU8550
avr: Pioneer VSX 824
subs: Polk PSW108, Definitive Technology Pro-sub 800
l/r: Klipsch R28Fs, c: Infinity Beta C360 rear: cheapo Sharps
mars5l is offline  
post #21130 of 22241 Old 01-31-2016, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
GeneWildersHair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 1,102
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by mars5l View Post
When does it delay? Netflix, Blu-ray? So what's the official word on using the new Samsung 4k Blu-ray player with a 8550 without a sek3500?
If your asking about the sync issue, it happens with all content. As for the 4K bluray player, yes it will work with the SEK3500.
GeneWildersHair is offline  
post #21131 of 22241 Old 01-31-2016, 02:30 PM
Senior Member
 
William L Carman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oceanside, California (San Diego County)
Posts: 481
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Hello. I have a Samsung 50" 8550 4K tv and I just decided to try Amazon's 30 day free trial, mainly looking for more 4K video to watch. My problem is even when I select something that is supposedly 4K, when I watch it (and pause it) I say's that I am only watching it in 1080p. (And that is what it looks like, too!)

Is there a trick to getting 2160 video from Amazon using a 8550 that I don't know about?

P.S. I also accidentally bought a 4K 5 minute video entitled "L.A. Nights" for $19.99!!! (I won't be making THAT mistake again!)

Thanks in advance for any help/advice you can provide.
William L Carman is offline  
post #21132 of 22241 Old 01-31-2016, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
GeneWildersHair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 1,102
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by William L Carman View Post
Hello. I have a Samsung 50" 8550 4K tv and I just decided to try Amazon's 30 day free trial, mainly looking for more 4K video to watch. My problem is even when I select something that is supposedly 4K, when I watch it (and pause it) I say's that I am only watching it in 1080p. (And that is what it looks like, too!)

Is there a trick to getting 2160 video from Amazon using a 8550 that I don't know about?

P.S. I also accidentally bought a 4K 5 minute video entitled "L.A. Nights" for $19.99!!! (I won't be making THAT mistake again!)



Thanks in advance for any help/advice you can provide.
How fast is your internet speeds? Are you sure your choosing the "UHD" versions of the shows/movies?
GeneWildersHair is offline  
post #21133 of 22241 Old 01-31-2016, 03:42 PM
Member
 
DemonAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: London, England
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hi all. I've just ordered the sek3500 (UK spec) evo kit for my 8500 Sammy. Any advice regarding the best settings for TV, both Internet and broadcast, bluray especially 3D bluray and gaming (PS4) Also will the 3500 evo kit now allow full 4K compliance with upcoming 4K BD players and content?
Thanks from London.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
DemonAV is offline  
post #21134 of 22241 Old 01-31-2016, 04:41 PM
Senior Member
 
William L Carman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oceanside, California (San Diego County)
Posts: 481
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Thank you for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneWildersHair View Post
How fast is your internet speeds? Are you sure your choosing the "UHD" versions of the shows/movies?
I have Cox High Speed Internet. According to the Ookla Internet test site, I've recently had a low download speed of 31.03Mbps, and a high of 51.95 Mbps. I would think that should be sufficient. It has been for Netflix 2160 recordings. As far as choosing the "UHD" versions of the
programming, what I have tried is typing in 4K to find their 4K material (on Amazon) and then starting something that say's it's 4K. With Amazon my "info" button on my remote shows nothing, but if I pause a video it says I'm getting 1080p not 4K. Is there another way of choosing the "UHD" versions of the shows/movies that I should use?
William L Carman is offline  
post #21135 of 22241 Old 01-31-2016, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
GeneWildersHair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 1,102
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by William L Carman View Post
I have Cox High Speed Internet. According to the Ookla Internet test site, I've recently had a low download speed of 31.03Mbps, and a high of 51.95 Mbps. I would think that should be sufficient. It has been for Netflix 2160 recordings. As far as choosing the "UHD" versions of the
programming, what I have tried is typing in 4K to find their 4K material (on Amazon) and then starting something that say's it's 4K. With Amazon my "info" button on my remote shows nothing, but if I pause a video it says I'm getting 1080p not 4K. Is there another way of choosing the "UHD" versions of the shows/movies that I should use?
Hmm, unless you aren't hitting speeds of at least 25mbps you should be seeing "ultra hd" . Aside from that, I usually just scroll all the way down until I hit the "uhd" categories.
GeneWildersHair is offline  
post #21136 of 22241 Old 02-01-2016, 09:58 AM
Member
 
geohop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by William L Carman View Post
Hello. I have a Samsung 50" 8550 4K tv and I just decided to try Amazon's 30 day free trial, mainly looking for more 4K video to watch. My problem is even when I select something that is supposedly 4K, when I watch it (and pause it) I say's that I am only watching it in 1080p. (And that is what it looks like, too!)

Is there a trick to getting 2160 video from Amazon using a 8550 that I don't know about?

P.S. I also accidentally bought a 4K 5 minute video entitled "L.A. Nights" for $19.99!!! (I won't be making THAT mistake again!)

Thanks in advance for any help/advice you can provide.
Have you ever seen 2160 on any screen. Do you get UHD 2160 on Netflix movies? I have the same TV and I've never seen 2160 on anything. Always 1080p. Netflix an Amazon look better but I don't know if it's 4K.
geohop is offline  
post #21137 of 22241 Old 02-02-2016, 09:14 AM
Senior Member
 
jrogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: MN
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by geohop View Post
Have you ever seen 2160 on any screen. Do you get UHD 2160 on Netflix movies? I have the same TV and I've never seen 2160 on anything. Always 1080p. Netflix an Amazon look better but I don't know if it's 4K.
If you press Info when watching UHD on Netflix, you should see 2160 in the upper left corner. Given the speeds he's reporting, not sure why @William L Carman wouldn't be getting 4K.

Samsung UN75HU8500 TS01 w/SEK-3500U, K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player; Xbox One; Xfinity X1
Dolby Atmos and DTS:X 7w.1.4; Denon X6200W; Audiosource AMP102; GoldenEar SuperSat 60/60C, SuperSat 50, SuperSat 3/3C, Invisa 525; SVS PB-2000
Harmony Ultimate One; Insteon; Acoustimac
jrogers is offline  
post #21138 of 22241 Old 02-03-2016, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b0rnarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,664
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2071 Post(s)
Liked: 1249
Hey Team,
Couple of questions on my 6 months old Sammy 4K UN65HU8550 Set.

1. Is there a way to check the Resolution of the content that's playing as I have a External drive with 4K content as well as 1080p content. I'd like to know if the content is being up-scaled to 4K or not (especially when I have it hooked up to a 1080 BluRay Player and a 1080P Receiver). PS: There's a Info. button on the remote but it doesn't do anything??

2. To actually get 4K signal, Do I have to have a 4K Blu Ray Player AND a 4K Receiver? unless I hook up the the External drive straight to the TV, in which case, I will no longer be able to get the HD Sound through my non-4K onkyo Receiver, only TV speaker sound. (I don't quite get the whole ARC HDMI port thing, tried it, still didnt get full HD sound.)

3. Lastly, I've been getting some minor Flickering on the screen during dark/grainy scenes on couple of movies. Its certain scenes only on certain movies, maybe its the content? I have most of the noise/random settings to OFF. Thanks for all your help guys!!
b0rnarian is offline  
post #21139 of 22241 Old 02-03-2016, 11:34 AM
Member
 
tk54911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rnarian View Post
3. Lastly, I've been getting some minor Flickering on the screen during dark/grainy scenes on couple of movies. Its certain scenes only on certain movies, maybe its the content? I have most of the noise/random settings to OFF. Thanks for all your help guys!!
To check this out, try the content on another player. If it happens in the same place, you know it's the content. If not, it's the player or the TV. To check this out you'd need to connect the player to a different TV and/or try a different player with your 8550.
tk54911 is offline  
post #21140 of 22241 Old 02-04-2016, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b0rnarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,664
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2071 Post(s)
Liked: 1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk54911 View Post
To check this out, try the content on another player. If it happens in the same place, you know it's the content. If not, it's the player or the TV. To check this out you'd need to connect the player to a different TV and/or try a different player with your 8550.
Thanks for the reply tk. I connected the drive straight to the tv and though lessened, the flickering was still there. I ended up turning the Digital noise filter up to Low and it did the trick on one scene. The other scene on a different movie, I had to turn it up all the way to high. My only concern there is if at high, all the other content is getting might be getting a more flatter look?
b0rnarian is offline  
post #21141 of 22241 Old 02-04-2016, 11:08 AM
Member
 
tk54911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rnarian View Post
Thanks for the reply tk. I connected the drive straight to the tv and though lessened, the flickering was still there. I ended up turning the Digital noise filter up to Low and it did the trick on one scene. The other scene on a different movie, I had to turn it up all the way to high. My only concern there is if at high, all the other content is getting might be getting a more flatter look?
Only you can decide that, based on your taste. Try a different scene with and then without it set to high and you should get your answer.
tk54911 is offline  
post #21142 of 22241 Old 02-04-2016, 05:59 PM
Member
 
CUTiger78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NoVA
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Help w/ Computer to TV PQ

I'm struggling to get a decent picture on my UN65HU8550 while viewing live streaming video from my computer.

I'm watching the nephew play DIII b-ball for Drew U over the internet. It's probably not an HD webcast, but it looks really good on my 17" HP Envy laptop. The laptop is supposed to have some sort of Hi Def video capability and the game does look good on the computer screen--sharp, crisp, no motion blur. Only, it's on a 17" screen.

When I go HDMI out from the computer to the TV, the picture quality goes to hell. The colors are off, motion is blurry/smeary, and it's hard to even recognize faces due to the lack of detail.

I've tried outputting 1920X1080 & 4096x2160 and both look the same.

Everything else we view on this TV looks great, like it ought to.

Any ideas?

Samsung UN65HU8550 TV; Samsung BD-J5900; Vizio S5451 SB; Cox Cable Cisco 9865 WHDVR
CUTiger78 is offline  
post #21143 of 22241 Old 02-05-2016, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b0rnarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,664
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2071 Post(s)
Liked: 1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk54911 View Post
Only you can decide that, based on your taste. Try a different scene with and then without it set to high and you should get your answer.
I've actually been trying the higher Gamma setting (used to be -1, now 0) and the picture looks sooooo much brighter with a lot of detail yet when it moves, looks very distorted/distracting (hard to describe) and almost hard to look at. I might go back to -1, did try the Auto Motion to Custom and though it helps the moving pictures, I just hate the soap opera effect that comes with it. Any suggestions?
b0rnarian is offline  
post #21144 of 22241 Old 02-05-2016, 12:31 PM
Member
 
zooted11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rnarian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk54911 View Post
Only you can decide that, based on your taste. Try a different scene with and then without it set to high and you should get your answer.
I've actually been trying the higher Gamma setting (used to be -1, now 0) and the picture looks sooooo much brighter with a lot of detail yet when it moves, looks very distorted/distracting (hard to describe) and almost hard to look at. I might go back to -1, did try the Auto Motion to Custom and though it helps the moving pictures, I just hate the soap opera effect that comes with it. Any suggestions?
I have my gamma set to -2, gives my image a very punchy look, I'm basing that of hdtvtest.uk websites advice, my AMP settings is at Custom, Blur -8, judder 0.
b0rnarian likes this.
zooted11 is offline  
post #21145 of 22241 Old 02-06-2016, 09:07 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I have a 50" HU8550 with a Novatek chip and I'm wondering which would you recommend I get first, the new Samsung UHD Player (K8500) or wait and get the SEK-3500 first. I can only get one of them for the foreseeable future.

I know I won't get HDR without the 3500 but I'm afraid of getting it and not being able to Enjoy much 4k content than I already do until I buy the K8500 much later. Advice?
JohngPR is offline  
post #21146 of 22241 Old 02-06-2016, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b0rnarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,664
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2071 Post(s)
Liked: 1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooted11 View Post
I have my gamma set to -2, gives my image a very punchy look, I'm basing that of hdtvtest.uk websites advice, my AMP settings is at Custom, Blur -8, judder 0.
Zooted Could you please share your settings!! Thanks.
b0rnarian is offline  
post #21147 of 22241 Old 02-06-2016, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Musician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,238
Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked: 5359
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohngPR View Post
I have a 50" HU8550 with a Novatek chip and I'm wondering which would you recommend I get first, the new Samsung UHD Player (K8500) or wait and get the SEK-3500 first. I can only get one of them for the foreseeable future.

I know I won't get HDR without the 3500 but I'm afraid of getting it and not being able to Enjoy much 4k content than I already do until I buy the K8500 much later. Advice?
Without a doubt the UBD-K8500

Here's why...

- Connected to your MHL port it will support HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 and provide almost everything your set is capable of except HDR (which will never be as good as the HU9000 flagship model with more dimming zones or especially the JS9500 or the yet to be released 2016 models);

- As far as HDR and other features of the Ultra HD Blu-ray spec goes, the HU series will not utilize the full feature set nor will the JS series for that matter.

We are probably still a few years away from a TV set that will take advantage of the full spec (e.g. REC 2020, etc.)

Samsung UN78HU9000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UN40HU7000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player; Apple TV 4K
Arris VIP5662W UHD Whole Home DVR; Chromecast Ultra
Marantz SR7005 Receiver; Magnepan Speakers; Martin Logan Subwoofer
Musician is offline  
post #21148 of 22241 Old 02-06-2016, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b0rnarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,664
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2071 Post(s)
Liked: 1249
Think I am screwed guys!! Ive been playing around with picture settings recently and out of the blue noticed a white halo spot on the right bottom of the screen. It appears on pure white content only, any other color and it goes away. Ive tried setting the LED setting to low like some suggested and its still there. I can also see it when the screen goes blue while receiving no signal. Plsssss help!!!!!!
b0rnarian is offline  
post #21149 of 22241 Old 02-06-2016, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
p5browne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 10,200
Mentioned: 242 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4008 Post(s)
Liked: 3182
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rnarian View Post
Think I am screwed guys!! Ive been playing around with picture settings recently and out of the blue noticed a white halo spot on the right bottom of the screen. It appears on pure white content only, any other color and it goes away. Ive tried setting the LED setting to low like some suggested and its still there. I can also see it when the screen goes blue while receiving no signal. Plsssss help!!!!!!
Did you try massaging it with the micro cloth?

UN65KS9800 - Mine
UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U in UJS9000 Mod Mode / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)
p5browne is offline  
post #21150 of 22241 Old 02-06-2016, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b0rnarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,664
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2071 Post(s)
Liked: 1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
Did you try massaging it with the micro cloth?
Yes, i massaged it with a micro cloth, and it didnt have any effects, now im also seeing a very faint one in the same column up on the right corner i have tried resetting the picture as well.

Last edited by b0rnarian; 02-06-2016 at 10:52 AM.
b0rnarian is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
samsung u8550 , Samsung Un55c8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv , un55hu9000 , un65hu9000

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off