AVS Forum banner
2M views 22K replies 1K participants last post by  SaberJet 
#1 ·
Hi, guys…I've decided to start a new thread on these new 2014 4k TVs from Samsung so we can talk about them. Here are some links to more info about them:

HU8550 Series (55")
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN55HU9000FXZA

HU9000 Series (55")
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN55HU9000FXZA

HU8550 Spec Sheet
http://www.brandsmartusa.com/pdfs/manuals/20175428.pdf

I currently have an older Samsung UN55C8000 3D LED TV and it has served me very well over the last few years. Since the 4k TVs came out, I was seriously considering the 55F9000 as a replacement, but now I'm looking at this new 2014 series. As far as I can tell, here are the main differences between the HU8550 series and HU9000 series (this is after doing a comparison of the two sets on the Samsung website): HU9000 has Quad Core Plus processor, while the HU8550 has a standard Quad Core; the HU9000 is Smart Evolution Ready, whereas the HU8550 does not appear to have the same feature; the HU9000 has a pop-up camera while the HU8550 has no camera; the Clear Motion Rate on the HU9000 is 1440 while the HU8550 has a Clear Motion Rate of 1200; the HU9000 has Purcolor and Auto Depth Enhancer while the HU8550 does not have either feature.

Interestingly enough, if you review the Spec Sheet for the HU8550, it also suggests that there is no One Connect Box for this series. The sheet specifically mentions that the One Connect Box is sold separately…does this mean that the One Connect Box is not included with the HU8550 and all connections are made directly to the TV? If so, then I would give an edge to the older F9000 because I'm a HUGE fan of the One Connect Box idea and I would actually lean towards picking up the F9000.

As I understand it, these TVs also have an 8-bit panel, so I would assume that colors will be limited…this is a disappointment since I am not sure that these TVs would be able to accurately render a wide variety of colors according to the new HDMI 2.0 spec or whatever 4k standards will be established over time. I also find the HU9000 series to be INCREDIBLY annoying with the curved screen idea. I wish Samsung would have included these extra features on the 8550 flat series inasmuch as I do not see any great advantage of a curved screen. I will wait to see what the reviews say about these new series TVs and how they compare to the F9000. At this time, I'm torn between getting the 8550 or the older F9000 once that older series becomes cheaper. Presumably Samsung will release a new One Connect Box for the F9000 that will give it the same features as the 8550, so I'm wondering if that will be the best option for me.

Please discuss your thoughts on this new series along with expert and owner reviews here!

See less See more
#16,641 ·
Prove it...until you can, quit making this claim which is pure speculation on your part.
I am pretty sure it's fairly safe/technical to say that it's not fixable via Firmware. Samsung has stopped saying it's fixable via firmware. They fixed the ones that could be fixed (Golf) through firmware. Novatek is unfixable.

The best that us people who got sold a 2.5k+ TV that was advertised as "4:4:4 at 4k @ 60hz" and cannot in fact do that, can hope for is that the OCB short circuits everything.

#16,642 ·
I am pretty sure it's fairly safe/technical to say that it's not fixable via Firmware. Samsung has stopped saying it's fixable via firmware. They fixed the ones that could be fixed (Golf) through firmware. Novatek is unfixable.

The best that us people who got sold a 2.5k+ TV that was advertised as "4:4:4 at 4k @ 60hz" and cannot in fact do that, can hope for is that the OCB short circuits everything.
Again, prove it. Just because this issue that effects a VERY small minority doesn't raise it to the top of Samsung's fix list does not make it "unfixable". Get me documented proof from the chipmaker that it can't do 4:4:4 4k @ 60hz then I'll agree. It took Samsung nearly a year to "fix" the golf chipsets and the Novatek has only been installed in the 8550 since roughly August.

#16,644 · (Edited)
Again, prove it. Just because this issue that effects a VERY small minority doesn't raise it to the top of Samsung's fix list does not make it "unfixable". Get me documented proof from the chipmaker that it can't do 4:4:4 4k @ 60hz then I'll agree. It took Samsung nearly a year to "fix" the golf chipsets and the Novatek has only been installed in the 8550 since roughly August.
I don't need to prove anything, the FW fix doesn't exist so I'm right until proven wrong.
If you say "pink elephants exist" it's not up to me to prove they don't exist, it's up to you to produce a pink elephant.

Reactions: Hairsonfire
#16,645 ·
My friends I went to NCIX warehouse sale today and bought some great stuff. I got a Harmon kardon AVR 1610 for real cheap . Now here is my dilemma I have a Onkyo 7.1 surround sound avr TXNR616 it really good but it only does 4k upscaling and no 4k pass through (no HDMI 2.0). Should I keep my Onkyo and flip the Harmon Kardon or upgrade 4k but lose 7.1 and yes I have 7.1 speakers frekin bose speakers ... What to do ?

I've read somewhere that a lot of gen1 4k blu-ray players will come with dual hdmi outputs to deal with this type of issue. - one hdmi to the TV for 4k and the other to the receiver for hi-Rez audio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#16,646 ·
Samsung stopped saying it's fixable via firmware. They stopped saying that shortly after shipping the firmware that fixed Golf. They now say, "by design".

What that means is the case is closed. Engineers are not working on it because the chipset performs to specifications. And the specifications (unreleased to us) state that chipset can't do 4:4:4, will never do 4:4:4 and was not designed to do 4:4:4.

#16,647 ·
I've read somewhere that a lot of gen1 4k blu-ray players will come with dual hdmi outputs to deal with this type of issue. - one hdmi to the TV for 4k and the other to the receiver for hi-Rez audio.

thanks

#16,648 ·
So like I mentioned earlier was @ NCIX warehouse sale today when we left my gf said to her mom she saw pn60f8500 for 699:eek: I was so pissed after she told me :mad:

#16,651 ·
This may be a big issue when 4K blu rays become available.
Didn't this article finally end that conversation, mercifully bringing clarity to the impact population with:
"Interestingly, the Blu-ray spec. also calls for 4:2:0 chroma subsampling, Schinasi confirmed." concluding, "The BDA said the primary reason for selecting 4:2:0 subsampling was data savings and ease of compression, which allow for longer content to be stored on the disc media."

Which means the 444 impact population is limited to PC gamers and a potentially small subset of streaming media. By no means meant to excuse Samsung, but let's be fair here...

#16,653 ·
Didn't this article finally end that conversation, mercifully bringing clarity to the impact population with:
Of course not, because even with all the evidence to the contrary it will not satisfy some that the 4:4:4 issue is NOT the most important in the world.

Reactions: SL600
#16,654 ·
JS9000 Impressive

Stopped at my local Best Buy yesterday and they had the 55" and 65" JS9000 on display running the "official" Samsung "SUHD" demo.

It looked very impressive! Does anyone know if that demo is available anywhere for download yet? It's not very long.

I'm wondering how it would look on the 8550 without all the new whiz-bang HDR stuff.

FYI...that JS9000 is pretty pricey so far...they were 3999 and 4999 which I assume is the starting "list" price.

#16,655 ·
The 9000 does 444 perfectly.
The only cord u can use us the 9 ft cord that comes with it.
Yes the ocb cable is the only cable that comes outta the tv besides the power plug. The 8550 will be same way when it upgrades to ocb.
What do people do if they have a mounted TV above the fireplace that has a run of longer than 9 feet to get to where it ultimately ends up? Are we SOL for using the OCB? I thought the OCB is through USB 3.0-wouldn't that lend itself to an extension or is there another way?

#16,657 ·

Does the HU758500 have the golf chipset? I heard the bigger TV of the 8500 series can do the 444 chroma -even the latest builds

#16,658 ·
Is the JS9000 and JS8500 the same except for the curved screen on the 9000?

Thanks
I would suspect that there will be other differences as well, similar to the differences between the HU8550 and HU9000.

#16,659 ·
As to 2., all sources, blu ray, USB stick, cable box, what have you will downgrade 444 chroma to 422. at 4K/60Hz. This may be a big issue when 4K blu rays become available.

Why would this be a big issue? Even if it were not resolved by the new OCB (which it will); the 4K blu rays will have native chroma at 4:2:0. Just because the player up-samples chroma to 4:4:4 doesn't mean you have more actual data and will suffer loss if the display then down-samples to 4:2:2. Plus the players will normally output 4K/24 and any chroma issue was with 4K/60.

#16,660 · (Edited)
Great info, Player. With this being said and the fact that I do not game on my TV with a PC, I can leave HDMI UHD Color OFF on all inputs?

You only need it "on" for 4K/60 422 or 444. Even with the new Blu-ray players, if you are outputting 8 bit 4K/24 444; you won't need it.

Reactions: SL600 and ERuiz