Samsung H8000 Curved TV Thread 2014 - Page 14 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 70Likes

post #391 of 672 Old 10-01-2014, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I seem to enjoy the raw feed best even if it does have some occasional judder or blur.

Do you keep yours on clear?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Last edited by FragTek; 10-01-2014 at 02:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 672 Old 10-01-2014, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by FragTek View Post
I seem to enjoy the raw feed best even if it does have some occasional judder or blur.

Do you keep yours on clear?

Don't have the h8000 yet but my current Samsung is on CLEAR and my Samsung before that was on CLEAR. Works great and everything is smooth without SOE.
post #393 of 672 Old 10-02-2014, 03:12 PM

Ok the auto switching my receiver to TV input is really starting to piss me off. I switched off of the ARC HDMI input and hooked up the TV to the receiver with an optical cable thinking it was ARC triggering my receiver to switch inputs. Even after doing this is STILL switches inputs when I turn the TV on. The only way to get it to stop is to disable Anynet+ completely but that obviously kills all of the convenience of it as well. Also when disabled there's no TV Speaker "off" option that I can find? I just have to turn the volume all the way down? Stupid.......

Anyone have any better luck with this than me?

On a weird side note when Anynet+ is on my receiver shows the input signal is Dolby Digital but when it's off its PCM? I have my Xfinity box set to "surround"? How is that even possible when the audio source is the same and not from the TV?!?! I'm so confused!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #394 of 672 Old 10-02-2014, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientAlien View Post
Don't have the h8000 yet but my current Samsung is on CLEAR and my Samsung before that was on CLEAR. Works great and everything is smooth without SOE.
You don't have the H8000 yet????????? What are you waiting for You know I'm gonna bug you until you get it

Bob (Retired)

Dish VIP-211K
Sony BDP-S6200
post #395 of 672 Old 10-02-2014, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videoz View Post
Quote:
You don't have the H8000 yet????????? What are you waiting for You know I'm gonna bug you until you get it
2 more weeks. I can hardly wait. Was waiting for Google Fiber but now they're saying I might get delayed until Spring. I currently have DirecTV, which I hate btw, and my contract is up next month. Debating on whether or not to keep DirecTV or get Time Warner Cable and hook my Tivo Premiere DVR back up. A lot of decisions and I want to have those done before I buy and set up the h8000.

Last edited by AncientAlien; 10-02-2014 at 08:57 PM.
post #396 of 672 Old 10-03-2014, 12:17 PM

Just be glad your only option isn't Comcast!!! I just moved from a house with FiOS with a TON of HD channels and 500/500mbit broadband to my current agony of Comcast which has about 1/4 the HD channels and horrid 105/10mbit Internet. :/

post #397 of 672 Old 10-06-2014, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I've read this post from page 1 to the last one and I don't seem to recall much love for a HDTV! I watch movies with my projector but I use my HDTV (32" Samsung 32F6300) on a daily basis to play video games (both with my PC and my PS4) and to watch movies when I don't want to use my home theater. Since I actually enjoy both activities (video games & movie watching) I've been thinking about the possibility to upgrade my TV and went looking for the LG 55" 4K OLED TV. The cons I read were enough to put me away for paying that much for a non "perfect" TV for my uses and then I read about the 55" UN55H8000 HDTV.

I have some quick questions for the owners of this HDTV that I would be very grateful if you gave me your insight:

1. I've seen that many people here play video games with the 55H8000 and they talk about the immersive feeling the curved display gives. If I don't notice any lag whatsoever with my 32" Samsung 32F6300 when playing video games to the point that I don't even use the GAME MODE, should I be fine with the 55H8000? (I play mostly games like GTA 5, Watch Dogs, COD and driving games like Grid 2). I plan to use the 55H8000 on the same room I have the 32" and seat reasonably closer like 5.4 - 6 foot to play video games.

2. Being that my TV is said 32" Samsung 32F6300 (that's the 6000 series) would I get a best picture quality with the 55H8000 when watching movies? By better I mean better colors rendition, better blacks and contrast and overall and improvement so I could notice the difference from my former TV?

3. For "just" about $300 more I could get the 55" 4K Samsung HU8700 TV or even pay less for the 4K HU7250 TV. I know 4K it's supposed to be "better" BUT if ALL my content will be at 1080p because I don't forth see a lot of 4K content in both video games and movies in the next 2-3 years, if I were to play said 1080p content on any of those 4K TV would I get the same or better image of the H8000 TV? Is it true the 4K TVs produces more input lag than a 1080p? I read some place that a 4K TV actually UPSCALES the 1080p content to an almost 4K content so if that it's true the 4K TV would be a no brainer...

4. Last question: Amazon.com is selling the UN55H8000 at US$1997,99. Do you think this price could go lower at Black Friday? Being that this HDTV seems to be a very popular model I wouldn't like to wait until Black Friday to see if the price can go lower and then realize that not only did the price didn't went low but that the TV went into unavailability.

Thank you a lot for your help! Much appreciated!

post #398 of 672 Old 10-06-2014, 08:49 PM

Input lag is low enough for everyone but the most elite online gamers on this set when in Game Mode.

Everything about this set will outperform your 6 series.

4K is still a very new tech and unrefined with almost no content.

Get this TV. Be happy for a long time. Do it

post #399 of 672 Old 10-07-2014, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I was in the market for a 4K TV but considering the fact that there is very little content, I've been looking at 1080p sets. I found a retailer that is selling the 65" for $1774. With all the love for this TV in this thread, it seems like a no brainer but I have a few questions for those of you that own it. Is the Audio Out 5.1? My current Samsung only outputs audio in stereo. Also, can you use the split screen with two HDMI sources (or is it only for the built in apps)?

Thanks
post #400 of 672 Old 10-07-2014, 09:46 AM

Yes it outputs in Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS, and DTS Neo 5:2 as well as stereo PCM via either HDMI ARC or Optical.

That's an insane deal. Go buy that now, right now.

Unsure about the split screen stuff you are talking about.

post #401 of 672 Old 10-07-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obonillaf View Post
I've read this post from page 1 to the last one and I don't seem to recall much love for a HDTV! I watch movies with my projector but I use my HDTV (32" Samsung 32F6300) on a daily basis to play video games (both with my PC and my PS4) and to watch movies when I don't want to use my home theater. Since I actually enjoy both activities (video games & movie watching) I've been thinking about the possibility to upgrade my TV and went looking for the LG 55" 4K OLED TV. The cons I read were enough to put me away for paying that much for a non "perfect" TV for my uses and then I read about the 55" UN55H8000 HDTV.

I have some quick questions for the owners of this HDTV that I would be very grateful if you gave me your insight:

1. I've seen that many people here play video games with the 55H8000 and they talk about the immersive feeling the curved display gives. If I don't notice any lag whatsoever with my 32" Samsung 32F6300 when playing video games to the point that I don't even use the GAME MODE, should I be fine with the 55H8000? (I play mostly games like GTA 5, Watch Dogs, COD and driving games like Grid 2). I plan to use the 55H8000 on the same room I have the 32" and seat reasonably closer like 5.4 - 6 foot to play video games.

2. Being that my TV is said 32" Samsung 32F6300 (that's the 6000 series) would I get a best picture quality with the 55H8000 when watching movies? By better I mean better colors rendition, better blacks and contrast and overall and improvement so I could notice the difference from my former TV?

3. For "just" about $300 more I could get the 55" 4K Samsung HU8700 TV or even pay less for the 4K HU7250 TV. I know 4K it's supposed to be "better" BUT if ALL my content will be at 1080p because I don't forth see a lot of 4K content in both video games and movies in the next 2-3 years, if I were to play said 1080p content on any of those 4K TV would I get the same or better image of the H8000 TV? Is it true the 4K TVs produces more input lag than a 1080p? I read some place that a 4K TV actually UPSCALES the 1080p content to an almost 4K content so if that it's true the 4K TV would be a no brainer...

4. Last question: Amazon.com is selling the UN55H8000 at US$1997,99. Do you think this price could go lower at Black Friday? Being that this HDTV seems to be a very popular model I wouldn't like to wait until Black Friday to see if the price can go lower and then realize that not only did the price didn't went low but that the TV went into unavailability.

Thank you a lot for your help! Much appreciated!

Do yourself a big favor and buy the H8000 Samsung. You definitely will not regret it.

Also I think 4k tv is still a few years away from being a worthwhile purchase.
FragTek likes this.

Bob (Retired)

Dish VIP-211K
Sony BDP-S6200
post #402 of 672 Old 10-08-2014, 12:15 PM

Ok, I am almost reading to buy the UN55H8000 HDTV and I am way to excited! Just to quick questions: I read a review saying that even though the 55H8000 is a great TV, you could get the same results with the lower price Samsung H7150 even though I have make a specs comparison between those 2 models and the H8000 was Micro Dimming Ultimate and the H7150 has Micro Dimming Pro and the H8000 has CMR of 1200 and the H7150 of 960 and I like the curved model because I will use these TV (the H8000) only for myself for playing video games and watching some movies that my family don't like so I can be seated near and at the perfect center. So does buying the H8000 over the H7150 makes sense?

The second and last question is in comparison with the 55" HU8700 & HU8550 because I read a review saying that the UPSCALING of the 1080p signal those 4K TVs is quite good and you can see every detail but on the other hand I have read other reviews and post saying that the upscaling a 4K TV does degrades or makes blurry the 1080p image and introduceds lag. The H8000 has the better ms response rate in gaming and said 4K models are worst but if it could be true that the UPSCALING of the 1080p signal actually creates a better looking image the H8000 would provide it could make some sense to buy the 4K model.

What do you think? Thank you!!!
post #403 of 672 Old 10-08-2014, 12:44 PM

Anyone that tries to tell you a 1080p source somehow looks better on a 4K TV is a liar. You can't get any better than displaying a source in it's native resolution on a panel in the same resolution. You can't. Period. End of story. You can't magically pull any more detail out of an image just by adding more pixels to the display panel. The TV can do things like sharpen the image which may give the effect of it having a clearer picture or more detail but in reality when you do this you are degrading the image source and adding artifacts.

Go with the H8000, you really won't be disappointed. If the curve appeals to you then it's a clear choice between it and the 7150.

The owners of this TV have no reason to lie about the current shortcomings of 4K sets. If you splashed out nearly $3000 on this set like a lot of us who have 65's do then you also know we had a lot of 4K options to choose from at this price point as well. We all did our research and bought the truly superior TV.

venus933 likes this.

Last edited by FragTek; 10-08-2014 at 12:47 PM.
post #404 of 672 Old 10-08-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Anyone that tries to tell you a 1080p source somehow looks better on a 4K TV is a liar. You can't get any better than displaying a source in it's native resolution on a panel in the same resolution. You can't. Period. End of story. You can't magically pull any more detail out of an image just by adding more pixels to the display panel. The TV can do things like sharpen the image which may give the effect of it having a clearer picture or more detail but in reality when you do this you are degrading the image source and adding artifacts.

Go with the H8000, you really won't be disappointed. If the curve appeals to you then it's a clear choice between it and the 7150.

The owners of this TV have no reason to lie about the current shortcomings of 4K sets. If you splashed out nearly $3000 on this set like a lot of us who have 65's do then you also know we had a lot of 4K options to choose from at this price point as well. We all did our research and bought the truly superior TV.

Thanks. I'm placing my order now. This price reduction is really special. I remember just last year the thought of buying the top of the line Samsung Series (8000 Series) was just of a thought because of the high price and now we can buy at a reasonable price what seems to be one of the best 1080 HDTV ever.

Will post pictures!
post #405 of 672 Old 10-08-2014, 02:07 PM

Good choice. You'll love it!!!

post #406 of 672 Old 10-08-2014, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
so here goes my experience:

purchased the 65" coming up on 4 weeks ago from visions electronics here in surrrey, canada. ts01 panel type, sep 2014 manf date.

upon turning it on, the right side of the panel was perfect. the left side of the panel had minor clouding. however, approx 15 inches from the left was massive clouding all the way from top to bottom. picture a flashlight shining from the bottom up. telling you any dark scene was not watchable would be an understatement.

i got on the phone with samsung canada, who immediately booked a local area service company to contact me. the company called me and indicated they would order a "new panel" and that it would take 1-2 weeks to arrive.

the tech showed up today with a tv in a normal looking box, not new from what you get from the store. he did the normal speech that clouding is normal on all led tvs...now while i thought im getting a new tv, he took what he brought and opened all the screws and TOOK the panel out of it and proceeded to exchange it with mine. i stayed quiet thinking i would blow up at the end. but to my surprise, the new panel is 100x better. there is clouding on the edges but nothing that is overly distracting.

ill see how it goes over the next few days and report back if anything goes wrong....
post #407 of 672 Old 10-08-2014, 08:16 PM

Honestly you got lucky. It's better that a good tech replace the panel than receive a whole new TV. Almost all clouding and flashlighting is caused by overtightening of the screws that secure the panel. This tech probably could have got your existing panel looking good by loosening and retightening the panel screws to the proper spec all the way around. Sounds like he did a good job installing the new panel.

If you have any residual clouding you can probably massage it out with a microfiber cloth.

post #408 of 672 Old 10-08-2014, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey metung, the actual price there is $1899 -$15 code - $1884. I ordered it anyway even after calling to verify the price difference and borderline being mocked about it by the sales rep. I was tired after working all night and decided to sleep on it and ordered it when I woke up. But the way that my request was handled was NOT funny to me.

BTW - Upgrading form a Mitsubishi WD65732 from Feb 2007 that has really only had about 5 lamp replacements and a LOT of use.
post #409 of 672 Old 10-09-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcelsiorDDZ View Post
Hey metung, the actual price there is $1899 -$15 code - $1884. I ordered it anyway even after calling to verify the price difference and borderline being mocked about it by the sales rep. I was tired after working all night and decided to sleep on it and ordered it when I woke up. But the way that my request was handled was NOT funny to me.

BTW - Upgrading form a Mitsubishi WD65732 from Feb 2007 that has really only had about 5 lamp replacements and a LOT of use.

I think it was $1774 for one day only. At $1884, it's still over $700 cheaper than most other places. My viewing distance is 8' so initially I wanted a 55" but the 65" is actually cheaper right now. I'm worried about the picture quality at 8' away. Does anyone else sit relatively close to their 65"?

BTW, it looks like Best Buys are getting rid of their display models so you might be able to pick up an open box one. I saw one for $2398.
post #410 of 672 Old 10-09-2014, 02:14 PM

You can sit extremely close to this TV without noticing pixels. I'm talking like 4' you can't even notice..... The pixel array on this set is sick as hell.

post #411 of 672 Old 10-09-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_perfect View Post
so here goes my experience:

purchased the 65" coming up on 4 weeks ago from visions electronics here in surrrey, canada. ts01 panel type, sep 2014 manf date.

upon turning it on, the right side of the panel was perfect. the left side of the panel had minor clouding. however, approx 15 inches from the left was massive clouding all the way from top to bottom. picture a flashlight shining from the bottom up. telling you any dark scene was not watchable would be an understatement.

i got on the phone with samsung canada, who immediately booked a local area service company to contact me. the company called me and indicated they would order a "new panel" and that it would take 1-2 weeks to arrive.

the tech showed up today with a tv in a normal looking box, not new from what you get from the store. he did the normal speech that clouding is normal on all led tvs...now while i thought im getting a new tv, he took what he brought and opened all the screws and TOOK the panel out of it and proceeded to exchange it with mine. i stayed quiet thinking i would blow up at the end. but to my surprise, the new panel is 100x better. there is clouding on the edges but nothing that is overly distracting.

ill see how it goes over the next few days and report back if anything goes wrong....
A question? If you weren't satisfied why didn't you just contact the place of purchase and request an exchange. If it were me, I would have demanded an exchange and not even messed around with a panel change.

Bob (Retired)

Dish VIP-211K
Sony BDP-S6200
post #412 of 672 Old 10-09-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obonillaf View Post
Thanks. I'm placing my order now. This price reduction is really special. I remember just last year the thought of buying the top of the line Samsung Series (8000 Series) was just of a thought because of the high price and now we can buy at a reasonable price what seems to be one of the best 1080 HDTV ever.

Will post pictures!
Congratulations. You're going to love it. I have the 55 inch and I couldn't be happier.

Bob (Retired)

Dish VIP-211K
Sony BDP-S6200
post #413 of 672 Old 10-09-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
You can sit extremely close to this TV without noticing pixels. I'm talking like 4' you can't even notice..... The pixel array on this set is sick as hell.

That's great to hear. This will be replacing an old but great TV UN46B8500. Can't wait!
post #414 of 672 Old 10-09-2014, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Does anyone use the web browser and youtube app on this TV? I have experience the web browser freezing and shutting down by itself same thing with youtube. Netflix works fine and the other apps that require internet connection. My tv is hardwired to my router and i check all the time my internet connection is very good.
I've been very disappointed with the performance of this tv with those two apps. YouTube and web browser are among the TV's best features. If you use the mutli view thing you would except it to work good. I had an f8000 and i never experienced this problem before and this tv is sopose to be 2 times faster and better with the quad core plus. I know in the beginning i had problems with the screensaver and that was fix with a firmware update. I had the motherboard replaced twice now so I'm wondering if its a universal problem.
post #415 of 672 Old 10-09-2014, 06:57 PM

I haven't had any problems with either app here.

post #416 of 672 Old 10-11-2014, 01:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Okay, just got my new UN65H800!
Quite happy with it so far, but noticeable black uniformity issues unless Smart LED is turned on.

I run my blu ray player and my PC through my Denon receiver, through HDMI to the TV. When I name this source "PC" then switch sources on the receiver from actual PC to blu ray, the TV somehow knows these inputs are different and will save different picture settings for each. This is nice, and would be perfect if PC mode allowed Smart LED to be activated. I use my PC for games, and the flashlighting turns up more in games than it does in movies it seems (loading screens, etc.).

Otherwise, if I name that source on the TV "game" or "AV Receiver", whatever picture settings I set are global for that TV source, regardless if I change the Denon's source. This is annoying since I'd want to use something like game mode, and different sharpness settings for when the Denon's source is my PC vs movie settings for when the Denon's source is my blu ray.

Any ideas?
post #417 of 672 Old 10-11-2014, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmooresucks View Post
Okay, just got my new UN65H800!
Quite happy with it so far, but noticeable black uniformity issues unless Smart LED is turned on.
Does smart led completely fix the Flashlighting? What panel type, TS01 or TD01/02?
post #418 of 672 Old 10-11-2014, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Does smart led completely fix the Flashlighting? What panel type, TS01 or TD01/02?
I believe I should have said clouding, not flashlighting.

It reduces the visibility of it. Smart LED introduces its own visual artifacts with the backlight level changing in a vertical row with the non-black pixels. Mostly just noticeable with a logo jumping around the screen or similar, but it's a tradeoff I'll take in real viewing environments.

Panel is TD02.

And mark another success story for reducing clouding with light buffing with the included microfiber cloth. A marked difference post-buff. Without Smart LED, it is now barely noticeable with no ambient light, not noticeable in my most frequent ambient environment, one lamp on. Happy.

Last edited by mattmooresucks; 10-11-2014 at 10:23 PM.
post #419 of 672 Old 10-11-2014, 10:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmooresucks View Post
Quote:
I believe I should have said clouding, not flashlighting.

It reduces the visibility of it. Smart LED introduces its own visual artifacts with the backlight level changing in a vertical row with the non-black pixels. Mostly just noticeable with a logo jumping around the screen or similar, but it's a tradeoff I'll take in real viewing environments.

And mark another success story for reducing clouding with light buffing with the included microfiber cloth. A marked difference post-buff. Without Smart LED, it is now barely noticeable with no ambient light, not noticeable in my most frequent ambient environment, one lamp on. Happy.
Do you watch more in the dark or with ambient light? I'm getting the 65" next week and I was/am worried about the local dimming in the dark being to aggressive with the backlight. Is it something that would give me fits watching Harry Potter, (a lot of dark scenes), in the dark with no lights?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment_1413088832169.jpeg
Views:	183
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	306802  

Last edited by AncientAlien; 10-11-2014 at 10:40 PM.
post #420 of 672 Old 10-12-2014, 06:31 AM

No you will be fine with this set. It's "fully refined".

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page