Philips 58PFL4909 (58" LED) vs. Vizio E550i-B2 (55" LED) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-14-2014, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I bought the Vizio model at Walmart at an unbelievable $598 (store grand opening) and it had a bad pixel toward the middle of the screen (very annoying while watching hockey!) and it locked up occasionally on the status screen. I figured it was just a bad set, so went to return it and all they had (and were going to have) was the A0 model, which I didn't want...last years tech. So I'm looking around again. BJs near me has the Vizio so I can buy it there, but I noticed the Philips set which is $100 more, but has a 58" screen. Are Philips TVs of lesser quality than Vizio? $799 is really stretching my budget, so before anyone starts recommending TVs that are more expensive, that's where I'm at.

Any thoughts on the Philips?

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-14-2014, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The Vizio with FALD will be way better than the Philips. I had a Philips (not that model) at one time and wasn't impressed.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-14-2014, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlerm View Post

The Vizio with FALD will be way better than the Philips. I had a Philips (not that model) at one time and wasn't impressed.

FALD?

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-14-2014, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveknj View Post

FALD?

The 12 local zones advertised on the box.

I have the 55" Vizio. No dead pixels on my set. It's a hell of a bargain.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-14-2014, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrke1 View Post

The 12 local zones advertised on the box.

I have the 55" Vizio. No dead pixels on my set. It's a hell of a bargain.

What does the Philips have? Not sure what the difference is.

There are other things I didn't like about the Vizio. The remote is a piece of junk and the batteries kept getting lose, and I had the info screen lock up on me a few times. Also got "pink screen" when turning on the TV a couple of times (fixed by pulling out and then back in the HDMI cable from the TV to the receiver.

Still I might repurchase this TV again. It really did have a very nice picture, despite the dead pixel.

Steve
post #6 of 9 Old 04-14-2014, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 35
No
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveknj View Post

What does the Philips have? Not sure what the difference is.

There are other things I didn't like about the Vizio. The remote is a piece of junk and the batteries kept getting lose, and I had the info screen lock up on me a few times. Also got "pink screen" when turning on the TV a couple of times (fixed by pulling out and then back in the HDMI cable from the TV to the receiver.

Still I might repurchase this TV again. It really did have a very nice picture, despite the dead pixel.

No clue on the Phillips, but most likely it's edge lit.

Geeze, you had a lemon of a tv for sure. I've had my 55" for about a month and never had any of those issues. The remote is trash no doubt, but I've never had the batteries loosen on me. I don't blame you for looking at another brand.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-14-2014, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrke1 View Post

No

Geeze, you had a lemon of a tv for sure. I've had my 55" for about a month and never had any of those issues. The remote is trash no doubt, but I've never had the batteries loosen on me. I don't blame you for looking at another brand.

According to this article:

http://www.twice.com/magazine-issue-type/current-issue/philips-tvs-target-value-connectivity/109535

It's direct backlit. How is that different than FALD?

Steve
post #8 of 9 Old 06-23-2014, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveknj View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Mrke1

No

According to this article:

http://www.twice.com/magazine-issue-...ctivity/109535

It's direct backlit. How is that different than FALD?
Yeah this is an old thread but just wanted to clarify a few things before people get even more misinformed. Direct LED or Direct LED or blacklit LED or FALD or Full Array all mean the exact same thing. Also, just because it is listed on some website, doesn't mean it actually has it. You need to dig specifically for the info, or crack open a TV, unless the manufacturer is very speicifc about it, like Vizio. Just because Vizio has FALD doesn't mean it is better than other TVs. They have their own uniformity issues, like blooming, and you need to pay $$$$ to get the expensive ones with over 100 zones, because the paltry 8 or 12 zones isn't gonna look much different than traditional edge-lit. One of the best reviewed TVs under $1K is the Samsung H6350 and it is very thin (meaning its edge-lit and not direct LED, because direct LED makes it thicker) and has better uniformity and black levels than other direct LED lit TVs. FALD can be very good on the high end, but for us mere mortals who can't afford the very expensive ones, don't tie yourself down to this tech by overzealous Vizio people on the forum if it cannot be implemented properly at affordable prices.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-23-2014, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
me too,I've had my 55" for about a month and never had any of those issues. The remote is trash no doubt, but I've never had the batteries loosen on me. I don't blame you for looking at another brand.thank you [IMG]http://*******/xGWw1O[/IMG]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page