Official Sony X950B Owner's thread - Page 70 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 348Likes

post #2071 of 2513 Old 04-13-2016, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by klepp0906 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GARRIGA View Post
The wifi on these TVs suck. The upstairs gets 18 Mbps but does play 4K Netflix. The new one plays 22 Mbps but crashes. I'm calling Sony tomorrow to see if I need a reset to resolve. Regardless I need to add access points. I now have 300 Mbps plan and my iPhone 6 is registering near 200 Mbps.
Yes. It's amazing in such a high end tv they skimp on the networking. The difference (to CONSUMERS) for a single unit of the worst b/g adapter and the best 2x2 AC adapter is 30 bucks....

Unfortunately I hard wired mine and on a 45mb line I got ~18mb via wifi and ~18mb via hard wire lol.

I have since upgraded to 300mb myself and was eager to retest. Same EXACT result. Leads me to believe the hardware is only 10/100 and draft n at best. Serious garbage on a tv who's smart features all require web access.

So to whomever was asking - get a Roku or Apple TV. Wish I had/will be in the future.

Shame that basically all top tier tvs are smart these days.
Added a 1200 Mbps Home Plug and problem solved. Now I'm getting 55-70 Mbps. Most of the time closer to 70. No more 4K crashes with Netflix. YouTube runs smoother with no buffer. If only this set had VP9.

Also tried it with an old Netgear Home Plug rated at 500 Mbps and that got high 40s. There's limitations with Home Plug but it seems these faster units today help increase the band width. Have noticed as I add more plugs speed goes down witch is due to being a hub vs a switch or vice versa. I don't get that geeky to care.

Under settings in Netflix there's a Network test inside Customer Support. Settings-Get Help-Check your network.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 2513 Old 04-13-2016, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I know theres been some debate on the the "old' tech on this 950b. I do get that and I will admit that a part of me is thinking am I selling myself short for future content (HDR)

But for the steal I got this and seeing how rich and beautiful and amazing the 940c is with JUST 1080p its a no brainer. Also the 950b just looks amazing next to the sets at Best Buy. Granted the Dallas Magnolia had it in the middle with the 850c and 850D and the 810c...Quite remarkable.

This will be in my bedroom. But even if it wasn't, I would be more than thrilled.

It will be another month or so until I am ready for delivery of this so I have time to re-think but doubtful that it won't be a keeper.
post #2073 of 2513 Old 04-13-2016, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Care to elaborate? Considering it has more than enough nits, the hdmi only require a firmware update, and inferior Samsung tvs from the same year have already received it...

Not saying it will, but saying it's impossible is misguided at best.

I was pessimistic due to sonys cs but I'm now leaning towards it coming. Last I heard they were checking compatability in the lab in preparation for a firmware release.
Its a hardware issue as well not just a firmware fix. Also why would they want to give the 950B HDR? That keeps them from selling you their latest and greatest. Sony could careless about their existing customers they just want to sell you more stuff. Just ask any 900A owner lol
iatacs19 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2074 of 2513 Old 04-13-2016, 09:16 AM

Smile

Quote:
Odd that it didn't get the flagship 950x designation. Wonder why.
I can take a dump in a box and mark it flagship if you would like. Your 950B is a good set but it is what it is at this point. Its no longer "flagship". May have been in 2013 or 14 but its not that special anymore. I dont even know how this thread is so busy anymore. I hardly watch mine anymore so i cant really comment on its "flagshipness"
post #2075 of 2513 Old 04-13-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Glover View Post
I know theres been some debate on the the "old' tech on this 950b. I do get that and I will admit that a part of me is thinking am I selling myself short for future content (HDR)

But for the steal I got this and seeing how rich and beautiful and amazing the 940c is with JUST 1080p its a no brainer. Also the 950b just looks amazing next to the sets at Best Buy. Granted the Dallas Magnolia had it in the middle with the 850c and 850D and the 810c...Quite remarkable.

This will be in my bedroom. But even if it wasn't, I would be more than thrilled.

It will be another month or so until I am ready for delivery of this so I have time to re-think but doubtful that it won't be a keeper.
my 940c looks better than my 950b with most any signal. i never watch my 950b so i wouldve gave u a good deal on it
post #2076 of 2513 Old 04-13-2016, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Flagship doesn't always mean the best, but based on my own comparisons, and that of my wife's, the 950B looked better than the 940C when we compared the two. It's all subjective when comparing picture quality. You like the 940C? Fantastic, we're all happy for you. You like the 950B? Fantastic, we're all happy for you. What drives me bat**** crazy is the fact that people feel the need to bash another TV and argue with fellow AVSers over which TV is better....in a 950B owners thread of all places. I would suggest heading over to the 940C owners thread and continue the chest thumping there.
vandi, iatacs19 and fusace like this.
post #2077 of 2513 Old 04-13-2016, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernestman View Post
my 940c looks better than my 950b with most any signal. i never watch my 950b so i wouldve gave u a good deal on it
While I generally disagree with you in this thread, I will say (to be fair) if the 940c had been available in an 85 inch size, I might have purchased it (depending on price) for HDR purposes.
post #2078 of 2513 Old 04-14-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CURX8 View Post
Flagship doesn't always mean the best, but based on my own comparisons, and that of my wife's, the 950B looked better than the 940C when we compared the two. It's all subjective when comparing picture quality. You like the 940C? Fantastic, we're all happy for you. You like the 950B? Fantastic, we're all happy for you. What drives me bat**** crazy is the fact that people feel the need to bash another TV and argue with fellow AVSers over which TV is better....in a 950B owners thread of all places. I would suggest heading over to the 940C owners thread and continue the chest thumping there.
not bashing it i own a 950b. just giving my opinion on the two. some of my comments may be a little harsh but they are only intended for the snobs who throw around the words like "flagship" probably typing with their pinkies in the air.
iatacs19 likes this.
post #2079 of 2513 Old 04-17-2016, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello all. Long-time lurker here. I recently purchased this TV and it looks great in most scenarios, but there are a couple of things that bother me and have me considering returning the TV:

1. In some bright scenes, the entire picture has the effect of a "fog" or "haze" which diminishes the punch of color. My old XBR9 had no problem maintaining color saturation in similar bright scenes (I've been comparing both side-by-side.
2. There is blooming at times in people's faces near their eyes. It seems as if the local dimming isn't minute enough to only brighten their eyes, so the colors on faces suffer from blooming.

I have been alternating between cinema 1 and cinema 2 with varying color temp presets, but cannot fully avoid these issues. The "eyeball blooming" occurs with local dimming in both low and standard modes.

Has anyone experienced this with their TV? Any advice or solutions?

Thanks!
post #2080 of 2513 Old 04-17-2016, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Thought I'd ask the X950B owners if they've heard about a replacement X950D?

Post #268 on the X940D owners thread wrote:
I just saw the 940d at BB which was put up today. I must say-very nice PQ. The tv also is thin, but thicker than the 930d, and is rigid at the top. No Bendgate here. Very nice!
BTW, the district Sony rep happened to be there to set it up. He indicated later this year, we will get the 950d. (Go to be $)

happyness ;>)
post #2081 of 2513 Old 04-18-2016, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneWildersHair View Post
No edge lit tv can compare to FALD sets with the right content. If you really like what you see with the x950b, and don't NEED HDR, then by all means... Jump on the great deals that can be had on these tv's right now! They are still great. I love both my x930d, and x950b.
I was at my local best buy over the weekend and got the opportunity to play around with the new 940 on display (with a Sony rep present)... I noticed the typical subpar grey levels and vertical banding (though somewhat reduced) in the panel... I have had the 900a (yeah I know...poor me lol) which died on me after about a year and then the 930c (which after an OS update decided to get stuck in a bootloop on the welcome screen - other than having brutal banding and a yellowish hue in the middle of the set just above the Sony logo)... GS came out to look at it and after calling Sony, they told me I had to get a new set (again)... all of this happened within 9 months and most would probably think I'm crazy to stick with Sony but after losing 2 warranties and finding a best buy magnolia mgr willing to work things out with me, I was able to get a good deal on an exchange. I had originally ordered the new 930d, however, I ended up changing my mind and going the more practical route with the 950b... I hope to have made the right choice
post #2082 of 2513 Old 04-18-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanblu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneWildersHair View Post
No edge lit tv can compare to FALD sets with the right content. If you really like what you see with the x950b, and don't NEED HDR, then by all means... Jump on the great deals that can be had on these tv's right now! They are still great. I love both my x930d, and x950b.
I was at my local best buy over the weekend and got the opportunity to play around with the new 940 on display (with a Sony rep present)... I noticed the typical subpar grey levels and vertical banding (though somewhat reduced) in the panel... I have had the 900a (yeah I know...poor me lol) which died on me after about a year and then the 930c (which after an OS update decided to get stuck in a bootloop on the welcome screen - other than having brutal banding and a yellowish hue in the middle of the set just above the Sony logo)... GS came out to look at it and after calling Sony, they told me I had to get a new set (again)... all of this happened within 9 months and most would probably think I'm crazy to stick with Sony but after losing 2 warranties and finding a best buy magnolia mgr willing to work things out with me, I was able to get a good deal on an exchange. I had originally ordered the new 930d, however, I ended up changing my mind and going the more practical route with the 950b... I hope to have made the right choice
Over the 930D the 950B is no brainier assuming one can live without HDR. True FALD vs edge lit gimmick.
post #2083 of 2513 Old 04-18-2016, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Over the 930D the 950B is no brainier assuming one can live without HDR. True FALD vs edge lit gimmick.
Totally enjoying my new X950B after a month now. I'm not as sophisticated as most on this site, but I must say I am impressed by the picture on this set!
post #2084 of 2513 Old 04-19-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
Totally enjoying my new X950B after a month now. I'm not as sophisticated as most on this site, but I must say I am impressed by the picture on this set!
just got it installed and aside from the usual slight vertical banding in a couple areas, it's amazing... I have amazon prime and I tried to play a couple titles that are supposed to be ultra hd but they are playing back in 1080... any ideas?
post #2085 of 2513 Old 04-19-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanblu View Post
just got it installed and aside from the usual slight vertical banding in a couple areas, it's amazing... I have amazon prime and I tried to play a couple titles that are supposed to be ultra hd but they are playing back in 1080... any ideas?
nevermind... it's working
Tim Glover likes this.
post #2086 of 2513 Old 04-20-2016, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 66
So how to test for vertical banding?
post #2087 of 2513 Old 04-20-2016, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Its a hardware issue as well not just a firmware fix. Also why would they want to give the 950B HDR? That keeps them from selling you their latest and greatest. Sony could careless about their existing customers they just want to sell you more stuff. Just ask any 900A owner lol
THIS - and therein lies my beef. Im not so rich that i upgrade a tv every couple years. This was a monster purchase for me and meant to last. My fault for not doing enough research I guess. Still, a 1 year warranty on a 4 figure item coupled with no updates or support outside of that? Thats not marketing thats plain bad business and the SOLE contributor to my decision not to buy sony again. EVER.

Theyre not giving it because they cant, theyre not giving itbecause they dont want to. They want to push the new sets instead of keeping products supported for customers. Proof is in the pudding, as has been mentinoed many times - samsung took care of their 2014 tv owners. It took an extra box but if thats the case, so be it.

Its an epic fail on sonys part imo and has me disgusted. between that and the cheap as dirt (quality, def not price) 3d glasses that I now have 3 pair of that ive never used that are all missing nosepads that sony support says "must buy new pair" meh, mouth tasting like fish tits.
fusace likes this.
post #2088 of 2513 Old 04-20-2016, 09:05 PM

Quote:
not bashing it i own a 950b. just giving my opinion on the two. some of my comments may be a little harsh but they are only intended for the snobs who throw around the words like "flagship" probably typing with their pinkies in the air.
hows this for snob? flagship was the distinction given by the ENTIRE industry.. I bought this tv over a 900b why? Because it was the FLAGSHIP. I work hard for what I have and when I make a purchase of this caliber I tend to go for the best available. Not sure why your so hung up on a general label lol. Do everyone a favor and look up the definition.

Is it one now? no. Is yours now? nope. They were during their times though and im not really sure how any of what you said is relevant to your point, post, or thread tbh.

As others have said - go to the 940c owners thread.

We are not talking a DLP tv from 1995, we are talking about a 2 year old set and the fact it has no support even software/app wise at this ponit is disgusting based on its retail.

****, i have a 400 dollar psu that has a 10 year warranty and still gets software updates for its digital meter.

Still im getting off the point and the validity of sony's choices (or lackthereof) obviously isnt/wasnt the point of your posting so meh.
fusace likes this.
post #2089 of 2513 Old 04-20-2016, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStyles1 View Post
Hello all. Long-time lurker here. I recently purchased this TV and it looks great in most scenarios, but there are a couple of things that bother me and have me considering returning the TV:

1. In some bright scenes, the entire picture has the effect of a "fog" or "haze" which diminishes the punch of color. My old XBR9 had no problem maintaining color saturation in similar bright scenes (I've been comparing both side-by-side.
2. There is blooming at times in people's faces near their eyes. It seems as if the local dimming isn't minute enough to only brighten their eyes, so the colors on faces suffer from blooming.

I have been alternating between cinema 1 and cinema 2 with varying color temp presets, but cannot fully avoid these issues. The "eyeball blooming" occurs with local dimming in both low and standard modes.

Thanks!
I imagine you watch in a very dark room? How is your backlight set? Should be @ or about 1. I think this was tested as giving the standard 100cd/m This should help some with blooming due to local dimming. Otherwise try to compare with another set. I doubt its an issue but I will say the only time I notice it on mine is if its a pitch black screen with one light spot (aka a logo pre movie or something)
post #2090 of 2513 Old 04-20-2016, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Flagship doesn't always mean the best
Full Definition of flagship. 1 : the ship that carries the commander of a fleet or subdivision of a fleet and flies the commander's flag. 2 : the finest, largest, or most important one of a series, network, or chain.

(meriam webster)

i interpret finest and most important as the best, but i suppose even that can be subjective :P
fusace likes this.
post #2091 of 2513 Old 04-21-2016, 05:00 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
THIS - and therein lies my beef. Im not so rich that i upgrade a tv every couple years. This was a monster purchase for me and meant to last. My fault for not doing enough research I guess. Still, a 1 year warranty on a 4 figure item coupled with no updates or support outside of that? Thats not marketing thats plain bad business and the SOLE contributor to my decision not to buy sony again. EVER.

Theyre not giving it because they cant, theyre not giving itbecause they dont want to. They want to push the new sets instead of keeping products supported for customers. Proof is in the pudding, as has been mentinoed many times - samsung took care of their 2014 tv owners. It took an extra box but if thats the case, so be it.

Its an epic fail on sonys part imo and has me disgusted. between that and the cheap as dirt (quality, def not price) 3d glasses that I now have 3 pair of that ive never used that are all missing nosepads that sony support says "must buy new pair" meh, mouth tasting like fish tits.
Couldnt agree with you more.
fusace likes this.
post #2092 of 2513 Old 04-21-2016, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStyles1 View Post

Thanks!
I imagine you watch in a very dark room? How is your backlight set? Should be @ or about 1. I think this was tested as giving the standard 100cd/m This should help some with blooming due to local dimming. Otherwise try to compare with another set. I doubt its an issue but I will say the only time I notice it on mine is if its a pitch black screen with one light spot (aka a logo pre movie or something)
Rented Star Wars new release and saw blooming on my new set at the beginning. Never seen any in my first 950B. First time I hooked up my PS3 to the new set. Was quickly apparent on the lower left corner with the start arrow. Gone during playback. That or I just couldn't notice. Almost freaked out. Was about to go return it. PQ during actual playback was amazing.
post #2093 of 2513 Old 04-21-2016, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Flagship doesn't always mean the best
Full Definition of flagship. 1 : the ship that carries the commander of a fleet or subdivision of a fleet and flies the commander's flag. 2 : the finest, largest, or most important one of a series, network, or chain.

(meriam webster)

i interpret finest and most important as the best, but i suppose even that can be subjective :P
950 is Sony's top tier offering. The fact they chose to continue carrying the B series in 2015 as their D representation speaks volumes. Technically while supplies last it still is in 2016 with the 65 and 85 class.
post #2094 of 2513 Old 04-21-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
950 is Sony's top tier offering. The fact they chose to continue carrying the B series in 2015 as their D representation speaks volumes. Technically while supplies last it still is in 2016 with the 65 and 85 class.
I'm just stating that Flagship designation doesn't always mean the best, but more like what makes them unique. The RX-8 was considered Mazda's flagship, not because it was the greatest, but because of the Rotary engine that Mazda was famous for. Obviously this set was the greatest for Sony and even carried the flagship designation for a good while, but I'm thinking it is more that designation based on what Sony has in it that Sony is really known for, color reproduction and motion handling. But the 950B is no longer considered flagship I believe, even though I still think it looks better than the current offerings (except 940D which I haven't seen in person)
post #2095 of 2513 Old 04-21-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
I'm just stating that Flagship designation doesn't always mean the best, but more like what makes them unique. The RX-8 was considered Mazda's flagship, not because it was the greatest, but because of the Rotary engine that Mazda was famous for. Obviously this set was the greatest for Sony and even carried the flagship designation for a good while, but I'm thinking it is more that designation based on what Sony has in it that Sony is really known for, color reproduction and motion handling. But the 950B is no longer considered flagship I believe, even though I still think it looks better than the current offerings (except 940D which I haven't seen in person)
My point is specific to 65 and 85 size panels. Sony has nothing better in PQ at the moment than their 2014 950B. The 930D doesn't compete and I haven't seen a 940D so can't comment. Although, what I'm reading is very good and likely my next purchase if I actually have the room for a 75 which is pushing it where I need it to sit.
post #2096 of 2513 Old 04-23-2016, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 211
I would tend to agree with the perspective that calling something a flagship don't mean much as it pertains to the 950 b in 2015 let alone 2016. I bought one in mid 2015 full knowing it was last years model but got a much reduced price. I wanted a 65 inch with fald and no side speakers. The 930 c wasn't fald and the 940 was.just too damn big. Despite the semantics, the 940 c with fald and, HDR and better chips was the flagship no matter what Sony said. I'm an old audiophile and it reminds me of when I bought a Wadia d/a converter like 20+ years ago which at the time was state of the art, built like a tank with two boxes and multiple power supplies. Cost me a pretty penny, like $8,000 which was huge at the time. In no time at all I felt like a complete fool, because in all things chips and computers, a better d/a chip came out a year later. In many ways, the better chips in much cheaper d/a converters the following year sounded better and cost like $1000! The year after that the chips got that much better again and in most ways blew my Wadia 2000 out of the water. The point is there is no getting around the fact that year after year the processing chips get cheaper and better and this years sets do things that even the flagship from last year just can't do. Such is life. This doesn't mean we can't enjoy our in some ways best 950b, it is still fald, but the chips move on. I have absolutely no regrets, enjoy the 950 b and expect to keep it for a long time. Nothing any of us can do to stop the marching on of technology. At the same time I don't see the point of others coming on here and demeaning the 950 b members, that is pointless. There is no doubt that the 950 b is in many ways better than the non fald sets with the better chips and that the non Fald sets are better than the 950 b with older chips. Trade-offs, whose to say which is better, personal choice. Regards. Ned.
post #2097 of 2513 Old 04-23-2016, 02:02 PM

I just got my set calibrated this past week and WOW. This set is gorgeous. TV shows look fantastic. Skin tones are extremely natural looking. Blu Ray movies are far exceeding my expectations. I was enjoying the picture quality before, but now I'm just in awe.
post #2098 of 2513 Old 04-23-2016, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Liked: 1036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngerstman View Post
I'm an old audiophile and it reminds me of when I bought a Wadia d/a converter like 20+ years ago which at the time was state of the art, built like a tank with two boxes and multiple power supplies. Cost me a pretty penny, like $8,000 which was huge at the time. In no time at all I felt like a complete fool, because in all things chips and computers, a better d/a chip came out a year later. In many ways, the better chips in much cheaper d/a converters the following year sounded better and cost like $1000! The year after that the chips got that much better again and in most ways blew my Wadia 2000 out of the water.
I couldn't disagree with you more.

I'll leave the flagship question on the back burner, but the Wadia 2000 is still one of the best sounding DACs ever made and the only way to exceed it is one of Wadia's later DACs or to spend six figures on one from DCS.

I just recently auditioned a Audio Research CD9 against my Wadia S7i and it was no contest - the Wadia is still better

To bring this back to TVs, newer does not mean better in any way; today's Sony's still don't look as good to me as their rear-projection models from a decade ago and have only recently achieved parity with the XBR8. To me they also don't look as good as plasma displays did.

In short, flagship is a fleeting word at best, the question is one of performance and that's what needs to be the basis of comparison.

Last edited by kucharsk; 04-23-2016 at 03:28 PM.
post #2099 of 2513 Old 04-24-2016, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
I couldn't disagree with you more.

I'll leave the flagship question on the back burner, but the Wadia 2000 is still one of the best sounding DACs ever made and the only way to exceed it is one of Wadia's later DACs or to spend six figures on one from DCS.

I just recently auditioned a Audio Research CD9 against my Wadia S7i and it was no contest - the Wadia is still better

To bring this back to TVs, newer does not mean better in any way; today's Sony's still don't look as good to me as their rear-projection models from a decade ago and have only recently achieved parity with the XBR8. To me they also don't look as good as plasma displays did.

In short, flagship is a fleeting word at best, the question is one of performance and that's what needs to be the basis of comparison.
All other things being equal, newer more powerful chips executed correctly generally sound better. Faster, cleaner, quieter, etc. A not so hidden fact the high end industry doesn't want you to dwell on as you spend big bucks on something that could be bettered in one or two years. I'm sorry but that is just Moore's Law, believe what you want. I have never been a huge fan of led technology, it's inherent nature just has response time issues relative to plasma. My main panel is still my Pioneer Elite 60 inch 1080p, I still prefer that over the 950 b on anything below 4K resolution and maybe even including 4K, just a more coherent, no digital artifact picture. That said, I do find the 950 b meaningfully better than past led panels and I don't mind watching it. The better newer X1 chip is no doubt better but will not produce a better picture in a non fald panel. The 940c is a great panel but will not necessarily look better than a 950b panel side by side as it is a much larger panel, the 950 may look sharper due to its smaller size. I did love my 2006 model 50 inch rear projection Xbr but it started to die last year hence the 950 b, I still liked it better than anything else. Regards. Ned.
post #2100 of 2513 Old 04-24-2016, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngerstman View Post
All other things being equal, newer more powerful chips executed correctly generally sound better. Faster, cleaner, quieter, etc. A not so hidden fact the high end industry doesn't want you to dwell on as you spend big bucks on something that could be bettered in one or two years. I'm sorry but that is just Moore's Law, believe what you want. I have never been a huge fan of led technology, it's inherent nature just has response time issues relative to plasma. My main panel is still my Pioneer Elite 60 inch 1080p, I still prefer that over the 950 b on anything below 4K resolution and maybe even including 4K, just a more coherent, no digital artifact picture. That said, I do find the 950 b meaningfully better than past led panels and I don't mind watching it. The better newer X1 chip is no doubt better but will not produce a better picture in a non fald panel. The 940c is a great panel but will not necessarily look better than a 950b panel side by side as it is a much larger panel, the 950 may look sharper due to its smaller size. I did love my 2006 model 50 inch rear projection Xbr but it started to die last year hence the 950 b, I still liked it better than anything else. Regards. Ned.
You're making a good point regarding sharpness. I was at BB/Magnolia yesterday looking a the x940d and they still have a x950b on display as well, directly above the x940d (which has replaced their display x940c which they are selling for a hair under $4K). They were playing a Blu-ray of Oblivion and the x950b is definitely sharper and exhibits more detail in the picture. It's quite obvious watching them side by side (albeit vertically). Based on picture quality alone, if you saw them side by side as I did, there isn't a compelling reason to upgrade to the x940d and I went there looking to be convinced to upgrade. Picture quality was basically even with the x950b getting the nod in my book due to the additional detail in the picture. Even after watching some HDR demos on the x940d, it's not clear to me that HDR as currently implemented presents a strong case to upgrade from the x950b. What I saw was pretty subtle, in fact my girlfriend who was with me couldn't see what improvement HDR actually made in what we were watching (which were movie clips, clips from Daredevil and some Sony proprietary footage). To tell you the truth, it was tough for me to see as well and I know what I am looking for which speaks to the subtlety of the implementation of HDR. Finally, the Magnolia rep told me Sony is releasing its replacement for the x950b this fall (no additional details other than that general statement).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page