Official Sony X950B Owner's thread - Page 71 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 348Likes

post #2101 of 2513 Old 04-24-2016, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngerstman View Post
All other things being equal, newer more powerful chips executed correctly generally sound better. Faster, cleaner, quieter, etc. A not so hidden fact the high end industry doesn't want you to dwell on as you spend big bucks on something that could be bettered in one or two years. I'm sorry but that is just Moore's Law, believe what you want.
I've yet to audition a DAC, other than the DCS, that beats the sound of the newer Wadias; I don't have access to an older Wadia to compare but the S7i was certainly better than my Wadia 850.

It's not a "hidden fact" really; anything can be bettered but my S7i is about four years old now and still hasn't been beat by anything under $20K I've demoed.

I haven't had a chance to hear the top of the line Esoterics yet, so I could be proven wrong, but certainly the Wadia is head and shoulders above DACs in low-cost devices like the Oppo BDP-105 (which sounds great, but nowhere near what the Wadia can do.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2102 of 2513 Old 04-25-2016, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 78
The reference to the 949D size vs 950B was something I considered when getting my second set. At my viewing distance with current mainstream 1080P content I would actually lose sharpness with the 75 screen.

With 4K the 75 would reign supreme but that is not even 1% of my viewing now and may not amount to greater than 10% for the next five years. I would have had to increase my viewing distance which defeats the purpose for a bigger screen.
post #2103 of 2513 Old 05-05-2016, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Got a question:

Whats the Smart App (Netflix & amazon) apps look like? I love the Android Interface on my 75x940c ...I realize the 950b has an older interface but I do a lot of Streaming in my bedroom. Mostly Netflix & Amazon. (4k when available.)

Pretty easy to use? Anyone want to do a screen shot of the apps?

the 950b is being delivered next week.

Thx so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2104 of 2513 Old 05-05-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Glover View Post
Got a question:

Whats the Smart App (Netflix & amazon) apps look like? I love the Android Interface on my 75x940c ...I realize the 950b has an older interface but I do a lot of Streaming in my bedroom. Mostly Netflix & Amazon. (4k when available.)

Thx so much.
This review has some pics. Can also Google and find a bunch.

https://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com...r-65x950b.html
post #2105 of 2513 Old 05-05-2016, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Got a question:

Thx so much.
Both Netflix and Amazon look great through the apps on this TV. They are both very easy to use.
post #2106 of 2513 Old 05-05-2016, 10:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thank you!
post #2107 of 2513 Old 05-06-2016, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quick question for anyone whom can answer. When watching most content, bluray, ps4, busy, Netflix, tv Etc the full array led dynamic control works great for the most part. Question is on Amazon prime video the led control doesn't seem to work at all and I get flashlighting. Anyone know why this one source causes this? Or anyone get the same effect? I've been watching the show suits and blacks especially on sides of screen get the blue to them from backlights.
post #2108 of 2513 Old 05-07-2016, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Really looking forward to getting this. I have the 940c in the main Liv Room and its truly exceptional.

Can't wait!
post #2109 of 2513 Old 05-10-2016, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Got a question:

Thx so much.
Can I access Amazon on my 950b without the need for a firestick? Also, saw a message on my 950b today about a software update. Got exited for a moment thinking it might be HDR or some other video enhancement. No such luck, some manner of security update. Oh well. Thanks. Regards. Ned.
post #2110 of 2513 Old 05-10-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Can I access Amazon on my 950b without the need for a firestick? Also, saw a message on my 950b today about a software update. Got exited for a moment thinking it might be HDR or some other video enhancement. No such luck, some manner of security update. Oh well. Thanks. Regards. Ned.
Yes you can get Amazon through the app list on this TV. I don't have a firestick and I can access Amazon Instant Video no problem.

And the update looks like it was just the addition of some more "smart" features and a new app.
post #2111 of 2513 Old 05-11-2016, 08:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2393 Post(s)
Liked: 1142
Why are people trying to say that the 950B will be updated to HDR?

From what I have been told by Sony - that cannot happen.

It would need both new hardware and software/firmware.

It cannot be done.
post #2112 of 2513 Old 05-12-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
Why are people trying to say that the 950B will be updated to HDR?

From what I have been told by Sony - that cannot happen.

It would need both new hardware and software/firmware.

It cannot be done.
I've heard the same thing. It isn't an HDMI/HDCP issue, but it is a processor/board limitation that can't handle the metadata associated with it. It's not a big loss as far as I'm concerned because the picture quality is still top notch, but there have been some folks in this thread that have spoken with Sony customer support indicating it is coming. But you could ask 3 different customer support people the same question and get 3 different answers.
post #2113 of 2513 Old 05-12-2016, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Hi fellow x950b owners.

I just bought a DarbeeVision DVP5000S HDMI Video Processor. It arrives on Saturday. I plan on attaching it between my sound bar & TV (my PS4, 4K media player and DirecTV are plugged into my soundbar and from the soundbar to the TV via ARC/HDMI-1).

Anyone else have one of these Darbee's? If so, any advice on TV settings? Should sharpness and Reality Creation be set to min or off?? Allowing the DarbeeVision to do all the processing?

P.S. I realize that native 4K won't pass through the DarbeeVision since it's HDMI 1.4... But, I don't have a 4K BR player and I never use the 4K media player so it shouldn't be a big deal. Really want it for cable TV and PS4.
post #2114 of 2513 Old 05-12-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radvlad View Post
Hi fellow x950b owners.

I just bought a DarbeeVision DVP5000S HDMI Video Processor. It arrives on Saturday. I plan on attaching it between my sound bar & TV (my PS4, 4K media player and DirecTV are plugged into my soundbar and from the soundbar to the TV via ARC/HDMI-1).

Anyone else have one of these Darbee's? If so, any advice on TV settings? Should sharpness and Reality Creation be set to min or off?? Allowing the DarbeeVision to do all the processing?

P.S. I realize that native 4K won't pass through the DarbeeVision since it's HDMI 1.4... But, I don't have a 4K BR player and I never use the 4K media player so it shouldn't be a big deal. Really want it for cable TV and PS4.
I pass my cable box through my Oppo 103D and have the Darbee setting at about 20% or so. On my set I have the Reality Creation set to manual, Mastered in 4K off, Resolution 20, and Noise filtering min. My Sharpness is set at 50. This is on a calibrated set.
post #2115 of 2513 Old 05-12-2016, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CURX8 View Post
I pass my cable box through my Oppo 103D and have the Darbee setting at about 20% or so. On my set I have the Reality Creation set to manual, Mastered in 4K off, Resolution 20, and Noise filtering min. My Sharpness is set at 50. This is on a calibrated set.
How do you like the effect that the Darbee has on your BluRay's and Cable TV? What's it like vs. not using the Darbee? Do you use it all the time?
post #2116 of 2513 Old 05-12-2016, 09:33 PM

Quote:
How do you like the effect that the Darbee has on your BluRay's and Cable TV? What's it like vs. not using the Darbee? Do you use it all the time?
Blu-Rays, even DVD's, look amazing. You don't want to go crazy with it because you can add some extra artifacts with the Darbee setting being too high. I can see a difference with it on vs. off, but it isn't like a night and day difference if you get what I'm saying. Picture quality is definitely improved.

As far as the cable source is concerned, it all depends on the source material. Some programming is great, Weather Channel HD, History HD, etc..., while some is not. No amount of Darbee enhancements can really do much improvement on a crappy source feed, unfortunately. Overall, with the programming and movies I watch, I would say adding the Darbee enhancement is worthwhile.
post #2117 of 2513 Old 05-13-2016, 04:09 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CURX8 View Post
I've heard the same thing. It isn't an HDMI/HDCP issue, but it is a processor/board limitation that can't handle the metadata associated with it. It's not a big loss as far as I'm concerned because the picture quality is still top notch, but there have been some folks in this thread that have spoken with Sony customer support indicating it is coming. But you could ask 3 different customer support people the same question and get 3 different answers.
UPDATE came 5/10/16 for the tv and no hdr, so upsetting!
post #2118 of 2513 Old 05-13-2016, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLnike View Post
UPDATE came 5/10/16 for the tv and no hdr, so upsetting!
Has anyone done a comparison of HDR vs. non-HDR (i.e., A/B same footage?) on the same HDR TV. Just wondering if the current implementation makes enough of a difference to care whether or not the x950b gets and HDR update... when I was at Best Buy watching HDR footage on an x940d (clips of shows like Daredevil, and Sony proprietary footage like videos of Vegas some guy walking into a house with shiny pants etc.), I was not impressed. The effect was so subtle that I wondered what I was supposed to be noticing. And when the same scenes were A/B'd on the 940d screen against the non-HDR footage of the same scenes (part of the Sony presentation), I feel like the non-HDR side was intentionally dulled to make it look obviously inferior to the HDR footage (i.e., it was a marketing tactic). When I watch content on the x950b, the contrast and color reproduction is so good (especially watching BluRay), I can't imagine HDR adding too much to the equation...yet. Not like it does in a movie theater. I saw Revenant in a Dolby Vision cinema and it looked exceptional (and, I am going to see Civil War tonight in the same Dolby Vision cinema in tonight). But, because movie theaters have always had grayish blacks and a muted colors (albeit a wide color gamut), HDR brings a noticeable difference to the quality of how a movie looks projected on a screen. The current generation of high-end FALD & OLED TVs (and some edge lit TVs) don't suffer from these limitations.
post #2119 of 2513 Old 05-14-2016, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I too was really disappointed that the latest 950B firmware update did not include HDR. I have read online many conflicting reports, some claiming that HDR is coming and others claiming that the hardware is not compatible. Please Sony, if you are monitoring these forums, please add HDR to the 950B!!
post #2120 of 2513 Old 05-16-2016, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is anyone else having a problem with 3D after the latest update?

If I switch inputs and turn on 3D (either with the 3D button on the remote or having it auto detect from my blu-ray player or computer) the screen goes blank for a moment like normal when it's switching to 3D mode but when it comes back on, the screen is frozen.

I can't get the 3D mode to work unless I turn off the TV for a little bit (30 seconds or so, turning it on and off fairly quickly doesn't fix it) and then turn it on with it already on the correct input. Then the 3D will work no matter how many times I turn the 3D mode on and off until I switch inputs. If I switch to a different input and then switch back, the 3D mode is broken again.

The 3D mode was working fine prior to the latest update which I just installed last week.
post #2121 of 2513 Old 05-18-2016, 07:56 PM

Quote:
So, in case everyone is wondering, I returned the Darbee today. My feeling was that it left the picture looking over processed. Based on the experimentation that I did, which consisted of a few hours in a single day, to get the full benefit of the Darbee you have to turn off all the processing of the Sony and let the Darbee do its thing. I'd prefer to use the Sony's processing and spare the expense of the Darbee. In fact, I think that Sony's Reality Creation slider is functionally similar to the effect that the Darbee has on the picture. Therefore, it felt a bit redundant.
post #2122 of 2513 Old 05-19-2016, 05:44 PM

Post latest update both of my 950B are having issues streaming YouTube. Keeps buffering. Tried wired and wireless. Doesn't matter. My plan is 300 Mbps so that's not the issue. Kid plays online games on his PS4 wireless without issue. Netflix still shows 60 Mbps when wired.

Anyone else having this issue? Pre-update it was working great.
post #2123 of 2513 Old 05-20-2016, 05:58 AM

I'm the only one with this issue?
post #2124 of 2513 Old 05-20-2016, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARRIGA View Post
I'm the only one with this issue?
I haven't noticed any issues since the update. My girlfriend, who is home a couple hours earlier than myself, confirms.
post #2125 of 2513 Old 05-20-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
I haven't noticed any issues since the update. My girlfriend, who is home a couple hours earlier than myself, confirms.
Then I'm going to contact Sony because it's driving me nuts. I can watch the same YouTube material on my PC without issue so I know it's not my ISP, modem or Wi-Fi. When it's bad it literally stops every 30 seconds to load which can take 10 seconds. Totally not viewable. Fact it's happening to both when previously there was no issue makes me think it was post the update and can't think of any other reason this is happening.
post #2126 of 2513 Old 05-20-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Then I'm going to contact Sony because it's driving me nuts. I can watch the same YouTube material on my PC without issue so I know it's not my ISP, modem or Wi-Fi. When it's bad it literally stops every 30 seconds to load which can take 10 seconds. Totally not viewable. Fact it's happening to both when previously there was no issue makes me think it was post the update and can't think of any other reason this is happening.
Try a factory reset... if you have not already done so.
post #2127 of 2513 Old 05-20-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Interesting post from Deja Vu @ AV Forums on UHD/HDR:

"O.K. here's my take on the 940D (and UHD/HDR) -- I've had it for a couple of days.

I own a number of projectors and use three screens -- 85", 92" and 120". I presently own the following projectors -- JVC X7000 (RS500), X5000 (RS400), Epson LS10000, Epson 6010, Epson 6020, Sharp 30000, Mits. 7900 and 8000. I use them all at different times -- I can tell you the positives and negatives of each. I also use a Teranex processor to convert 2D to 3D (I like 3D!).

The 940D in my opinion is an exceptionally good LCD TV. It is so good with BD that it makes UHD rather pointless in my opinion and not worth the extra cost of the UHD discs. The black levels and shadow detail are also very, very good. It's not OLED black but very satisfying nonetheless. There is some haloing on occasion but from what I've seen it's slight when it does occur and unobtrusive. Sometimes the back light does contaminate the black bars slightly but again its slight -- I think it's important to keep the backlight at no higher than medium. I'm watching in a completely light controlled room and this TV does a great job -- I suspect I'll have it for a coupled of years so for me it's a keeper. I sit relatively close (9 to 10 feet back) and the size (75") is just big enough to be immersive. OLED is better (IMO for black levels) but this isn't far behind and the extra 10" is worth quite a bit in my opinion. If I were comparing the 940D to projectors I would say it's the JVC X7000 of TVs -- both transmissive displays that do a great job.

The panel uniformity of my set is certainly not perfect but with content it's not an issue. I don't have any visible banding. The four corners of the screen are slightly darker but again not an issue with content.

I have three UHD/HDR movies -- Chappie, Deadpool and the Reverent. IMO UHD has been completely overhyped and HDR is a step backwards. The extra resolution is hardly noticeable on a 75" set -- I compared the UHD versions with the BD versions of these three films. Furthermore, I believe HDR is just a gimmick and a step backwards -- for years we attempted to get black levels just right so we wouldn't crush it and lose shadow detail. Along comes HDR and in one swoop kiss your shadow detail goodbye all in the name of dynamic range -- low APL scenes just disappear into darkness. On top of that I found myself squinting in the bright scenes -- for me it's uncomfortable and I'm out -- I'm not wasting anymore time or money on UHD/HDR discs! The UHD/HDR discs I own look "overcooked". In addition, UHD discs are not free of artifacts. Regarding UHD/HDR -- I came, I saw, I left. I personally like the BD versions of these films much better, especially on this TV. (The UHD version without HDR was the best and maybe worth an additional dollar or two -- the actual difference is $10 to $20 more) I suspect that the public will give this (UHD/HDR) stuff a big thumbs down and if it does manufactures can get back to improving things that really count like the contrast of their displays.

Just my take -- you'll spend your money as you see fit and I'll do likewise. I just cast my vote with my wallet and I won't be spending anymore time or money on UHD/HDR -- much to do about nothing. Now I understand why the Best Buys where I am don't bother demonstrating UHD BDs and especially HDR."
post #2128 of 2513 Old 05-20-2016, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I'll try that.
post #2129 of 2513 Old 05-21-2016, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Interesting post from Vladrad about HDR. Seems like we may not be missing too much. A question about the Amazon app on my 950 b. My Hulu app and Netflix app open up with no problem but the Amazon app won't open at all. I don't need a firestick or updated software do I? Thanks. Regards. Ned.
post #2130 of 2513 Old 05-21-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Interesting post from Vladrad about HDR. Seems like we may not be missing too much. A question about the Amazon app on my 950 b. My Hulu app and Netflix app open up with no problem but the Amazon app won't open at all. I don't need a firestick or updated software do I? Thanks. Regards. Ned.
I just tried to open my Amazon Instant Video app and it won't open for me either. I just get the constant loading circle. Wonder if there is just a glitch currently or if it will require additional hardware (Fire Stick)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page