Official Sony X950B Owner's thread - Page 80 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 348Likes

post #2371 of 2513 Old 09-26-2016, 07:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tv31 View Post
Does anybody have any good 3D calibration settings for this? I haven't had any luck getting the 3D to look good.
Just got the demo from a local Best Buy at a ridiculous price. Looking for calibration settings. Has anyone posted them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2372 of 2513 Old 09-27-2016, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Just received firmware pkg.3.0001AAA but did not notice anything new (especially HDR wise) probably stability stuff...

We are getting jerked around with no HDR support as Sony 2015,2016 low tier sets have HDR.

Sony OLED XBR-65A1E| XBR65X950B|XBR55X900B|2-BR100/Subs|4K X10 Player
Denon - X7200WA|Roku Ultra 4k|PS4
Mirage Omnisat V2 5.1.4 Dolby Atmos set up with SVS PB2000 Sub
post #2373 of 2513 Old 09-27-2016, 08:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2454 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterLewis View Post
Just received firmware pkg.3.0001AAA but did not notice anything new (especially HDR wise) probably stability stuff...

We are getting jerked around with no HDR support as Sony 2015,2016 low tier sets have HDR.
This is a 2014 set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2374 of 2513 Old 09-28-2016, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
I am curious

what problems has this caused you?....you mention HDMI 1

Warren
Yes, HDMI 1 does not seem to accept HDCP 2.2 signals from my experience. I've worked around that, though, by using a HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 Receiver that has two outputs. One of those outputs is connected to HDMI 1 (for ARC) and the other output is connected to HDMI 2 (for inputs to the TV). Now I can run up to 7 HDCP 2.2 devices into the Receiver and see the output on the TV.

Perhaps I should file a claim on the TV on my extended warranty, though, if everyone else is having no issue with HDMI 1. I have an 85 inch, if it matters.
post #2375 of 2513 Old 09-29-2016, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Picked up a 65x950B from the local BBY on Monday. Offered to buy the 5 year geek squad PP if they would price match the Amazon price. First guy said they couldn't do it since it was a 3rd party reseller but that I could ask his manager. So I did, nicely, and he agreed. Took it home that night. Feel like I got a steal.

Not sure how to figure out the build date though. Found a transfer sticker that looks like it was transferred from the Ardmore distribution center on July 29. They still have 3 left.

Replaced a failing 4 year old Samsung PN51e7000 51" Plasma that was getting horrible pink/purple splotches anytime there was a large area of white on the screen (hockey, snow scenes etc). That TV was okay but nothing like the X950B.

I remember seeing the 85" version in the Magnolia section a year or so ago and they had The Avengers on. Watching that TV was how I discovered the Hulk has chest hair!

Picture on the 65" X950B is simply amazing. No issues with the screen other than one very faint, slight band halfway up the middle when I look at a blank grey screen, but none of my viewing consists of one long blank grey screen so I can live with it. Can't see it otherwise. Upscaling is awesome on the Blu Rays I've tried so far. Force Awakens, Skyfall, Looper, Guardians of the Galaxy. Streaming 4k from YouTube and Netflix is GORGEOUS. Check out the documentary Apex in 4k on Netflix if you get a chance.

Sure, it's not the latest and greatest processor. But I'm not super concerned about it and the lack of licensed HDR (Dolbyvision/Technicolor etc) since the X-tended Range Pro seems to do a fantastic job. I have a huge library of BR movies that can't take advantage of it anyhow. And there isn't that much content that' worth re-buying, although I'm sure that number will grow, but who really needs a 4k remastered Ghostbusters disc when my TV will probably upscale my current version just as well if not better. I'll build onto my 4k Library over the next several years, probably get a 4K BD player around Christmas sometime. Don't feel like I'm missing anything at all actually.

Don't care about the Smart TVAndroid TV stuff at all. Never used it on my Samsung like I thought I would.

Regarding upscaling and apps, I've got a TiVo Bolt that can be set to 4k out but the picture seems to be better when I leave it on 1080P. My Pioneer Elite VSX-80 also does 4k upscaling via the Marvell Qdeo chipset - which is supposedly what Oppo BDs use. Haven't had much chance to compare the differences.

Currently run the TiVo direct to the HDMI 2 port and the VSX-80 to the HDMI 1 (for the ARC). I've got an xBox 360, which I fire up every few months, running through the VSX-80 as well.

Anyone else using a TiVo with one of these? Any 4k upscaling comparison? The upscaler in the TV is great, just curious more than anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7856.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	1692129   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7864.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1692137  
post #2376 of 2513 Old 09-29-2016, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by boondongle View Post
Picked up a 65x950B from the local BBY on Monday. Offered to buy the 5 year geek squad PP if they would price match the Amazon price. First guy said they couldn't do it since it was a 3rd party reseller but that I could ask his manager. So I did, nicely, and he agreed. Took it home that night. Feel like I got a steal.

Not sure how to figure out the build date though. Found a transfer sticker that looks like it was transferred from the Ardmore distribution center on July 29. They still have 3 left.

Replaced a failing 4 year old Samsung PN51e7000 51" Plasma that was getting horrible pink/purple splotches anytime there was a large area of white on the screen (hockey, snow scenes etc). That TV was okay but nothing like the X950B.

I remember seeing the 85" version in the Magnolia section a year or so ago and they had The Avengers on. Watching that TV was how I discovered the Hulk has chest hair!

Picture on the 65" X950B is simply amazing. No issues with the screen other than one very faint, slight band halfway up the middle when I look at a blank grey screen, but none of my viewing consists of one long blank grey screen so I can live with it. Can't see it otherwise. Upscaling is awesome on the Blu Rays I've tried so far. Force Awakens, Skyfall, Looper, Guardians of the Galaxy. Streaming 4k from YouTube and Netflix is GORGEOUS. Check out the documentary Apex in 4k on Netflix if you get a chance.

Sure, it's not the latest and greatest processor. But I'm not super concerned about it and the lack of licensed HDR (Dolbyvision/Technicolor etc) since the X-tended Range Pro seems to do a fantastic job. I have a huge library of BR movies that can't take advantage of it anyhow. And there isn't that much content that' worth re-buying, although I'm sure that number will grow, but who really needs a 4k remastered Ghostbusters disc when my TV will probably upscale my current version just as well if not better. I'll build onto my 4k Library over the next several years, probably get a 4K BD player around Christmas sometime. Don't feel like I'm missing anything at all actually.

Don't care about the Smart TVAndroid TV stuff at all. Never used it on my Samsung like I thought I would.

Regarding upscaling and apps, I've got a TiVo Bolt that can be set to 4k out but the picture seems to be better when I leave it on 1080P. My Pioneer Elite VSX-80 also does 4k upscaling via the Marvell Qdeo chipset - which is supposedly what Oppo BDs use. Haven't had much chance to compare the differences.

Currently run the TiVo direct to the HDMI 2 port and the VSX-80 to the HDMI 1 (for the ARC). I've got an xBox 360, which I fire up every few months, running through the VSX-80 as well.

Anyone else using a TiVo with one of these? Any 4k upscaling comparison? The upscaler in the TV is great, just curious more than anything.
Welcome to the club! The 950b is a fabulous panel and built like a tank. If you really want to see what it can do, buy a Richard Gray Power Conditioner model 400. You haven't seen you panel anywhere near its best until you plug it into one. You'll see better everything. I use them on all my panels, just got one today for my lg e6 and it makes it look like a different tv. Enjoy. Regards. Ned.
post #2377 of 2513 Old 09-29-2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngerstman View Post
Welcome to the club! The 950b is a fabulous panel and built like a tank. If you really want to see what it can do, buy a Richard Gray Power Conditioner model 400. You haven't seen you panel anywhere near its best until you plug it into one. You'll see better everything. I use them on all my panels, just got one today for my lg e6 and it makes it look like a different tv. Enjoy. Regards. Ned.
Thanks Ned.

I've actually spent the last three days reading through nearly all 80 pages of this thread. Glazed over some of the arguments about flagship monikers/comparisons to OLED (out of my price range) pros/cons of HDR (and how there won't be a firmware update) etc.

And idea on how to read the build date on these? I didn't see anything specific on the box.

I'll look into one of those power conditioners. Thanks!
post #2378 of 2513 Old 09-29-2016, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks Ned.

I've actually spent the last three days reading through nearly all 80 pages of this thread. Glazed over some of the arguments about flagship monikers/comparisons to OLED (out of my price range) pros/cons of HDR (and how there won't be a firmware update) etc.

And idea on how to read the build date on these? I didn't see anything specific on the box.

I'll look into one of those power conditioners. Thanks!
You can actually find some really good deals on the lg b6 at places like Cleavland Plasma. That and the Richard Gray gets you Near state of the art. Regards. Ned.
boondongle likes this.
post #2379 of 2513 Old 09-29-2016, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

And idea on how to read the build date on these?
The large gray sticker on the back of the panel has the serial# and month/year and where it was built.

Mine has a FEB/2016 build and with the latest firmware 3.0001 my black levels are superb....

I played the Green Sleeves demo from the Sony X10 player and I can almost bet the blacks on my set is on par with the 940C and possibly 940D.
boondongle likes this.

post #2380 of 2513 Old 09-29-2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
You can actually find some really good deals on the lg b6 at places like Cleavland Plasma. That and the Richard Gray gets you Near state of the art. Regards. Ned.
I've always heard good things about Cleveland Plasma. Almost got a Panny ST60 from them instead of the stupid Samsung Plasma. Doubtful I could have got a 65" OLED for the $1799 I got the 950B for though. Plus I've got a Best Buy card so the 24 months 0% interest makes it a pretty painless purchase.

In 6-10 years (if this one lasts that long) my next TV will likely be an OLED.

Thanks for the build date info. Will try to get behind the TV and check my build date.

Even when it's off I like the monolithic appearance. Much simpler than the old Samsung and it's chicken foot stand.
post #2381 of 2513 Old 09-29-2016, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I've always heard good things about Cleveland Plasma. Almost got a Panny ST60 from them instead of the stupid Samsung Plasma. Doubtful I could have got a 65" OLED for the $1799 I got the 950B for though. Plus I've got a Best Buy card so the 24 months 0% interest makes it a pretty painless purchase.

In 6-10 years (if this one lasts that long) my next TV will likely be an OLED.

Thanks for the build date info. Will try to get behind the TV and check my build date.

Even when it's off I like the monolithic appearance. Much simpler than the old Samsung and it's chicken foot stand.
That's a great price, I paid $4,500 last year! I hate you. Regards. Ned.
post #2382 of 2513 Old 09-30-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
That's a great price, I paid $4,500 last year! I hate you. Regards. Ned.
I hate myself a little for it too. Not much, but a little.

Dec. 2015 Build date BTW.

Now upgrade-itis starts to creep in as I learn my VSX-80 supports HDMI 2.0 but not HDCP 2.2 so if I want to watch 4k UHD Discs with DTS-HD MA or Dolby True HD I'll need a newer AVR.

So don't worry, they'll still get my money one way or another, sooner or later....
post #2383 of 2513 Old 09-30-2016, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Just make sure your uhd blu ray player, like the upcoming oppo player has two hdmi outputs. That way you can run one to your TV and the other to the receiver for audio . No need to upgrade your receiver.
post #2384 of 2513 Old 09-30-2016, 03:09 PM

Thanks for the tip. Have been doing some research and it appears there are even HDCP 2.2 to 1.4 'converters' one can purchase for <$50 that resolve the issue. Really like the receiver (and my money) so will probably go that route.
Sonyboy likes this.
post #2385 of 2513 Old 09-30-2016, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. Have been doing some research and it appears there are even HDCP 2.2 to 1.4 'converters' one can purchase for <$50 that resolve the issue. Really like the receiver (and my money) so will probably go that route.
avsforum is a certified online dealer for Denon/Marantz which have all the latest codecs (DTSX,Atmos,HDR)HDMI 2.0a and Forum Mod member JDSmoothie got me and many others a great deal on Denon avr's....

I got a Denon X7200WA for a smoking great deal from him and i'll be looking forward to buying the latest upcoming Oppo 4K player as well...

Look around the amp/receiver subforums for JDSmoothie and shoot him a pm to get a quote.

post #2386 of 2513 Old 10-15-2016, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
avsforum is a certified online dealer for Denon/Marantz which have all the latest codecs (DTSX,Atmos,HDR)HDMI 2.0a and Forum Mod member JDSmoothie got me and many others a great deal on Denon avr's....

I got a Denon X7200WA for a smoking great deal from him and i'll be looking forward to buying the latest upcoming Oppo 4K player as well...

Look around the amp/receiver subforums for JDSmoothie and shoot him a pm to get a quote.
I downloaded an upgrade for this set yesterday - any idea what it addresses?
post #2387 of 2513 Old 10-15-2016, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

post #2388 of 2513 Old 10-15-2016, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac7eod View Post

General stability jargon,nothing worthwhile....

post #2389 of 2513 Old 10-16-2016, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2293 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
I just bought the store display today at my local Magnolia..$1223-$70( reward zone points)...$1153 plus tax
I had been eyeing this Tv for a while to replace an occasional use 65X850B that I use in a great room

I never liked the X850B...it replaced a Samsung 58C8000 plasma and I kick myself everytime I watched the X850B

But anyway...the store I was looking at had 2 display units left...they sold one a few weeks ago for several hundred dollars more

I notice they had done a markdown in the last week...so I bit
The TV has no accessories...but its an occasional use item that is going to be hung over a fireplace
All looks good from what I could see in the store playing with it

I did buy the 5 year protection plan for $300...and frankly I would not mind it it goes out and I get to use the plan
Buying a display and getting the protection plan has served me well in the past...

I asked about their mounting charge
When he said $300 and that included a stand..I said "PASS"..lol
After I bought the Tv I went down the road to Fry's and paid them $109 to do the job
Its the same price I paid them to mount the X850B originally

This time next week and it should be mounted and running and I can offer some feedback
I am expecting leaps and bounds better than the X850B

Warren

Rm 1 LG65E7 Marantz 8802A prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A and HK PA2400 amps B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM6's.rears
Rm 2 Sony 49x900E Denon X7200 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Sony 55x930E Yamaha A1060 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Sony 65Z9D
post #2390 of 2513 Old 10-16-2016, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I just bought the store display today at my local Magnolia..$1223-$70( reward zone points)...$1153 plus tax
I had been eyeing this Tv for a while to replace an occasional use 65X850B that I use in a great room

I never liked the X850B...it replaced a Samsung 58C8000 plasma and I kick myself everytime I watched the X850B

But anyway...the store I was looking at had 2 display units left...they sold one a few weeks ago for several hundred dollars more

I notice they had done a markdown in the last week...so I bit
The TV has no accessories...but its an occasional use item that is going to be hung over a fireplace
All looks good from what I could see in the store playing with it

I did buy the 5 year protection plan for $300...and frankly I would not mind it it goes out and I get to use the plan
Buying a display and getting the protection plan has served me well in the past...

I asked about their mounting charge
When he said $300 and that included a stand..I said "PASS"..lol
After I bought the Tv I went down the road to Fry's and paid them $109 to do the job
Its the same price I paid them to mount the X850B originally

This time next week and it should be mounted and running and I can offer some feedback
I am expecting leaps and bounds better than the X850B

Warren
I've had the 950b for over a year now and it is a truly outstanding panel. I own an lg e6 and the 950b stacks up well compared to it. When watching it, I never feel slighted for not watching the OLED. Regards. Ned.
post #2391 of 2513 Old 10-16-2016, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've had the 950b for over a year now and it is a truly outstanding panel. I own an lg e6 and the 950b stacks up well compared to it. When watching it, I never feel slighted for not watching the OLED. Regards. Ned.
interesting
My plan is to buy an OLED in 2017 to replace my main display....a Samsung 64F8500
As I stated in my post, the X950B is for an another occasional use room
The sales guy at magnolia was saying the only LCD he has seen that can stack up to an OLED ..in any way..is the new Sony Z9
He did admit he was not an "LCD" guy though

Warren

Rm 1 LG65E7 Marantz 8802A prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A and HK PA2400 amps B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM6's.rears
Rm 4 Sony 65Z9D
post #2392 of 2513 Old 10-16-2016, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
interesting
My plan is to buy an OLED in 2017 to replace my main display....a Samsung 64F8500
The sales guy at magnolia was saying the only LCD he has seen that can stack up to an OLED ..in any way..is the new Sony Z9

Warren
When I bought it in August 2015 I had thought it was the best panel picture available, no HDR notwithstanding, even though it was a 2014 model. It is built like a tank, they don't make them like that anymore. Is there better electronics, i.e. Bigger power supply, etc, I don't know. I do know that it is really good, looks great on everything. Regards. Ned.
post #2393 of 2513 Old 10-17-2016, 05:22 PM

Still love this TV so far. I don't think not having HDR will be a huge deal since it's got great contrast with the XDR Pro.

They've still got three brand new ones at the BBY near where I work. Was in the other day checking out Subwoofers since the amp went out on my 10 year old Harman Kardon.

But then went to ListenUp - much better selection of speakers. /offtopic
post #2394 of 2513 Old 10-22-2016, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
When I bought it in August 2015 I had thought it was the best panel picture available, no HDR notwithstanding, even though it was a 2014 model. It is built like a tank, they don't make them like that anymore. Is there better electronics, i.e. Bigger power supply, etc, I don't know. I do know that it is really good, looks great on everything. Regards. Ned.
Mine was delivered yesterday afternoon
They are coming today to hang it over the fireplace

I played around with it yesterday a bit..took it out of store demo mode, wiped the screen and checked it thoroughly from a few inches away, corner to corner
All seems good
Build date is September 2015. So its been a demo in the best buy store for a year, which I suspected
For the price I really dont care, since its going to be as occasional use Tv. I did buy the 5 year Geek squad protection place which was reduced in proportion to the cost of the TV
As I said before, it came with no accessories
I bought both remotes and the stand on Ebay for $115, all total, this morning...and all of them were actually new..lol

There was an open box display LG 65" OLED 9600 curved TV for $1796 at another store
I was tempted and frankly had it been a flat screen model I probably would have bitten on that deal

Warren

Rm 4 Sony 65Z9D
post #2395 of 2513 Old 10-22-2016, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
@Ngerstman now that you've had some time with the e6 and HDR how do you feel about HDR vs. SDR? My experience with HDR thus far, as a casual observer of in-store demos, is that it's very subtle. What's your take, including, HDR 10 vs. Dolby Vision? In looking at the Vizio P and OLED threads, both sets of owners seem to heavily favor Dolby Vision over HDR 10.
post #2396 of 2513 Old 10-22-2016, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Settings?

TV is now mounted above the fireplace and all seems good

Does anyone have any picture settings they can share?..or a link to some popular ones?

Warren

Rm 4 Sony 65Z9D
post #2397 of 2513 Old 10-22-2016, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radvlad View Post
@Ngerstman now that you've had some time with the e6 and HDR how do you feel about HDR vs. SDR? My experience with HDR thus far, as a casual observer of in-store demos, is that it's very subtle. What's your take, including, HDR 10 vs. Dolby Vision? In looking at the Vizio P and OLED threads, both sets of owners seem to heavily favor Dolby Vision over HDR 10.
I haven't been down in Florida much where my e6 resides. I don't have much of any experience with HDR yet I'm sorry to say. Regards. Ned.
post #2398 of 2513 Old 10-22-2016, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Mine was delivered yesterday afternoon
They are coming today to hang it over the fireplace

I played around with it yesterday a bit..took it out of store demo mode, wiped the screen and checked it thoroughly from a few inches away, corner to corner
All seems good
Build date is September 2015. So its been a demo in the best buy store for a year, which I suspected
For the price I really dont care, since its going to be as occasional use Tv. I did buy the 5 year Geek squad protection place which was reduced in proportion to the cost of the TV
As I said before, it came with no accessories
I bought both remotes and the stand on Ebay for $115, all total, this morning...and all of them were actually new..lol

There was an open box display LG 65" OLED 9600 curved TV for $1796 at another store
I was tempted and frankly had it been a flat screen model I probably would have bitten on that deal

Warren
As I've said, I think the 950b is an amazing panel. Don't feel bad at all about not getting the lg, the Sony looks better on a wider variety of content, IMO. I'll check my settings if I get a chance tomorrow. Regards. Ned.
post #2399 of 2513 Old 10-22-2016, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
interesting

Warren
I really think that the 950b is at this point an underrated panel, yesterday's news, no HDR. I know that it stands up well against any OLED. I think you'll find yourself gravitating to watch it because it's so good. Regards. Ned.
post #2400 of 2513 Old 10-23-2016, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As I've said, I think the 950b is an amazing panel. Don't feel bad at all about not getting the lg, the Sony looks better on a wider variety of content, IMO. I'll check my settings if I get a chance tomorrow. Regards. Ned.
The LG was curved....so that i itself was an issue because I need a TV that looked better wall mounted
The day that I replace my main panel..the Samsung 64F8500 plasma, a curved panel might work
That TV does sit in a cabinet

Thanks in advance if you have some picture settings recommendations
I played around it with quite a bit yesterday after they mounted it...still trying to find what picture settings I would like
I was watching Scorch trials on HBO and the picture looked good..other than the whites had a bit of a blue tint

Warren

Rm 4 Sony 65Z9D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page