Official 2014 Vizio Mxxx-Bx Series owners thread - Page 117 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 291Likes

post #3481 of 3766 Old 04-01-2015, 02:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Still unable to make ARC with the below work.

Beyond CEC to ON on the VIZIO is there another setting that should be set?
My apologies for my seeming ignorance, I've been through more settings than I can count, tried 4 different HDMI cables and still no glory.

The DENON is set correctly, so should I assume it's wonky, throw in the towel, and run an TOSlink cable?
td
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvted View Post
VIZIO M602i-B3
DENON AVR-X2100W

DENON Monitor 1 output (HDMI Control set to ON) to VIZIO HDMI 1 in (ARC)

Anyone manage to get ARC working with this combo?

td
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3482 of 3766 Old 04-01-2015, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1664 Post(s)
Liked: 1038
Quote:

My apologies for my seeming ignorance, I've been through more settings than I can count, tried 4 different HDMI cables and still no glory.

The DENON is set correctly, so should I assume it's wonky, throw in the towel, and run an TOSlink cable?
td
Personally I think ARC is over rated. When I had my AVR, I used its HDMIs for all switching and let it pass the video signal to the TV. The Denon forum might be able to help. On this forum you might want to rephrase and explain in your question what aspect of ARC is giving you a problem. A lot of people on this forum use ARC into soundbars etc. without problems (other than lip synch). Good luck.
post #3483 of 3766 Old 04-01-2015, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

td
I have the same TV but a different receiver. I have the Yamaha RX-V677 and so far I have not had any issues with ARC. It has worked great.
You already stated that you turned on CEC, did you also turn on " system audio control " and then run the device discovery ? If you have done all that and you know you have the HDMI cable in the right connection on both the Denon and Vizio, and all the settings are also right in the Denon, then you may have to contact Vizio or Denon or both. It may help to find a thread about your receiver on here and ask them also if you haven't already done so.
Good luck and I hope you get it figured out.

65" Samsung UN65MU6300, Sony UBP-X800
Directv HR5400-200, C61K-700 4K box, Toshiba HDDVD-A2
Denon AVR-S920W, Polk csiA4 center channel,Polk Monitor 40 series 2 front
2-Polk PSW10 subwoofer, Polk R150 front height,Polk M10 surrounds
Logitech Harmony 900 Remote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3484 of 3766 Old 04-01-2015, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

td
Another point that should be obvious. the ARC HDMI port is 1 only. You have to switch your TV's output to HDMI 1 to get ARC.
post #3485 of 3766 Old 04-01-2015, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOc90 View Post
I have the same TV but a different receiver. I have the Yamaha RX-V677 and so far I have not had any issues with ARC. It has worked great.
You already stated that you turned on CEC, did you also turn on " system audio control " and then run the device discovery ? If you have done all that and you know you have the HDMI cable in the right connection on both the Denon and Vizio, and all the settings are also right in the Denon, then you may have to contact Vizio or Denon or both. It may help to find a thread about your receiver on here and ask them also if you haven't already done so.
Good luck and I hope you get it figured out.
Same experience here. ARC with my Yammy RXV-671 is rock solid.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk
post #3486 of 3766 Old 04-01-2015, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 80
+1 on running device discovery. The ARC HDMI port is marked on mine. It is somewhat small. I also have a Yamaha and the only problem was the TV Smart Apps sound stopped working except with TV speakers. Ran a toslink cable for that but ditched the TV apps when I picked up a Blu-ray player. It stopped working about the same time I got the 1.60 FW. It was probably a coincidence. I have 1.34 now but I am not going to change everything out to test it. I have a a Directv Genie, Sony BDP-S6200 BR and XBox One.

Could be the HDMI out on your Denon or the ARC port to the TV if all else fails.

Edit: I have the same TV and it's the HDMI port that is the furthest away from the left side, it's flanked by the optical cable port on one side and HDMI 2 on the other. See page 12 of the manual. http://cdn.vizio.com/documents/downl...UM_M602iB3.pdf

Last edited by MoInSTL; 04-01-2015 at 05:40 PM.
post #3487 of 3766 Old 04-01-2015, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

td

I have a Vizio m60 with a Denon avr-4311 receiver and yes I do have the ARC function working. You need to designate a input for your audio to work.. I designated my TV input for the ARC audio, so while I'm watching Directv, I hit the APP button and can scroll to you tube and search while still listening to the Directv audio. I need to switch my Denon to my TV input(designated) to hear the youtube Audio., enen though you don't have a HDMI running to that input... I probably don't make much sense, but if you have any question that I can answer feel free to ask....
post #3488 of 3766 Old 04-04-2015, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
M42 finally updated to latest Firmware and it works bettered

Had a M42 in our master bedroom for about 5 months. Replaced a durable working great Vizio 37inch set.
42 was the largest screen I could fit in the built-in wall cabinet.
As many have complained, the 1.6 firmware update caused several unwanted side effects.
I have been doing the check for updates procedure almost daily.
Yesterday did a check about 11am and checked a couple of hours later but no dice.
Decided to try it once more within 30 minutes. got the onscreen message that the update was successful.

Overall picture looks great now, with no cascading contrast and other odd brightness changes.
Keep the faith...
sonoftumble likes this.
post #3489 of 3766 Old 04-05-2015, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 2692 Post(s)
Liked: 2451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldemanphil View Post

Had a M42 in our master bedroom for about 5 months. Replaced a durable working great Vizio 37inch set.
42 was the largest screen I could fit in the built-in wall cabinet.
As many have complained, the 1.6 firmware update caused several unwanted side effects.
I have been doing the check for updates procedure almost daily.
Yesterday did a check about 11am and checked a couple of hours later but no dice.
Decided to try it once more within 30 minutes. got the onscreen message that the update was successful.

Overall picture looks great now, with no cascading contrast and other odd brightness changes.
Keep the faith...
When you say that you checked for an update, does that mean that you did a Service Request from the System info screen?

Thanks for any info.
post #3490 of 3766 Old 04-06-2015, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Have an M322i. Remote is not shrinking the picture. Possibly a bad remote? Anyone else have an issue like this? New to HDTV, so looking for help. Thanks.
post #3491 of 3766 Old 04-06-2015, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Does this TV have a Plex app, and do you need to be a plex pass subscriber to use it?
post #3492 of 3766 Old 04-06-2015, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
Personally I think ARC is over rated. When I had my AVR, I used its HDMIs for all switching and let it pass the video signal to the TV. The Denon forum might be able to help. On this forum you might want to rephrase and explain in your question what aspect of ARC is giving you a problem. A lot of people on this forum use ARC into soundbars etc. without problems (other than lip synch). Good luck.
I never wanted to implement ARC but the onboard Netflix app manages BBC source quite well where my Chromecast does not (fixed at 60p) and my HTPC though operating at an adjusted frame rate to work with European frame rates was not consistent enough.

td
post #3493 of 3766 Old 04-06-2015, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibethagreatone View Post
Does this TV have a Plex app, and do you need to be a plex pass subscriber to use it?
Yes and yes.

Also - the Plex app on Vizio sets does not support DirectPlay (at least, not with any of my content), so any streamed content will be transcoded.
post #3494 of 3766 Old 04-06-2015, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks to all for their input, got it working.

Everything was hooked up correctly but in my attempt to ensure that the TV was not controlling the DENON (i.e. turning it ON/OFF or cycling the input, I did not realize that toggling the VIZIO speakers ON/OFF disable's the set's CEC setting (System Audio Control to be specific) which disables ARC.

The DENON has control for disabling the TV from controlling the Power or Source Select that CEC enables.

Thanks again to all who were willing to offer feedback.
td
naustin likes this.
post #3495 of 3766 Old 04-06-2015, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Yes all 2014 are FALD not edge lit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FALD/Direct Lit for accuracy purposes. Calling something with 5 or 6 zones "full array" is suspect.
post #3496 of 3766 Old 04-06-2015, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Thanks to all for their input, got it working.

Everything was hooked up correctly but in my attempt to ensure that the TV was not controlling the DENON (i.e. turning it ON/OFF or cycling the input, I did not realize that toggling the VIZIO speakers ON/OFF disable's the set's CEC setting (System Audio Control to be specific) which disables ARC.

The DENON has control for disabling the TV from controlling the Power or Source Select that CEC enables.

Thanks again to all who were willing to offer feedback.
td
Yea, sorry about that, I forgot to also mention that turning the TV's speakers on disables the CEC and ARC. I should have put that in my post but just plain forgot about it.
Glad you got it figured out !

65" Samsung UN65MU6300, Sony UBP-X800
Directv HR5400-200, C61K-700 4K box, Toshiba HDDVD-A2
Denon AVR-S920W, Polk csiA4 center channel,Polk Monitor 40 series 2 front
2-Polk PSW10 subwoofer, Polk R150 front height,Polk M10 surrounds
Logitech Harmony 900 Remote

Last edited by BigOc90; 04-08-2015 at 06:56 AM.
post #3497 of 3766 Old 04-07-2015, 03:20 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Any M60 owners seeing the new firmware rollout yet?

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk
post #3498 of 3766 Old 04-07-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
When you say that you checked for an update, does that mean that you did a Service Request from the System info screen?

Thanks for any info.
Yes...
The only way to ask for an update is to click of the SYSTEM menu and then system information.
Its not at all obvious ..BUT you can scroll down below what appears on the originally presented System information listing and the service request is
not visible UNTIL yo do scroll down....

I scrolled down to the bottom of the System Information list and clicked the Perform service check? YES button
that appeared AFTER first clicking on the Service Check line...

Next... I hit the power off button for the TV without leaving the system info list.

Only thing I did differently on earlier service check was...... I gracefully exited all the TV menus before powering the TV off.
Not sure that the sequence had anything to do with it....

All the planets must be in a certain alignment for the update to actually OCCUR

After the successful firmware update the M42 now shows firmware V1.60.10-018.0000 in system information.
Currently I see no need for another firmware update to our M42.

M42's looking pretty good and wife is happy with it too..
Not quite as good as the P60 in my mancave of course, but much better than any of the other TVs scattered around our home...
AND MUCH MUCH better than it did before this update.

Your mileage may vary of course.
post #3499 of 3766 Old 04-08-2015, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked: 641
I have had the 50" M-series for about 12 days and overall have been impressed. I have noticed without the dimming engaged it some of the worst uniformity I have seen. Once engaged it has little to no uniformity issues.
Although I have notice that the dimming goes little nutty based on content. Playing Destiny which a very dark game overall it tends to fluctuate frequently.
As a result I have scenes that dark area look washed out and brighter areas look blown out.
I thought about turning off the dimming altogether,but the uniformity issues plague most sources.
post #3500 of 3766 Old 04-09-2015, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

New UHD M series

Looks like some of the new 4k UHD M series are shipping. Costco Online has the 70 incher with 32 FALD zones for about 300 USD less than the P series which has 72 zones. The new M series are recognizable by the stands at each end of the screen.
post #3501 of 3766 Old 04-12-2015, 05:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iautotron View Post
Year/Week of Manufacture 2015

Just to expound on what I posted previously regarding how to determine the year/week of manufacture of your Vizio set, I've added the code for 2015 since many recently purchased sets will more than likely have been built and shipped this year (2015):

N=2012
P=2013
Q=2014

R=2015

So, a set for example showing a code of R03 within the SN found on the rear of the set (barcode label) and/or on the box it came in would have been built the third week (03) of 2015 (R) January 12-18, 2015.

(there's no "O" used due to the confusion that ensued between a "0" (zero) and an "O" (letter O).

This date-coding system is consistent throughout ALL Vizio models.

Week Numbers for 2015

Gene
Thanks for posting the 2015 code. I just had my TV replaced yesterday and came back to your post so I could look it up. I bought mine in August, 2014. What I got was a 2015 based on the R designation. XXXXXXR0200464. So what's with the two zeroes? R0200 is the second week of what? The chart you linked to started at 01.

Edit: Too early in the morning. I think I figured it out. R02 =January 5, 2015 through January 11, 2015

Last edited by MoInSTL; 04-12-2015 at 05:50 AM.
post #3502 of 3766 Old 04-12-2015, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Since my M50 update it's firmware I have had no freezes, which is a nice improvement. Having owned my set since black Friday I remain very happy with PQ. My only other issue with my set seems to have got worse since the update. I am wondering if anyone else has this issue:

After watching Netflix smart app, then switching back to cable, my screen image gets small like a picture in picture size. The only way to get full screen again is to turn the TV off and on again. This used to be intermittent. Now it's fairly consistent.

I can watch Netflix on Apple TV connected to my M50 also, and never have the problem.

Last edited by sti491; 04-12-2015 at 06:06 AM.
post #3503 of 3766 Old 04-12-2015, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm happy with Vizio M series we purchases a couple of weeks ago, although i think Bravia has a better default color setting
post #3504 of 3766 Old 04-12-2015, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiels99 View Post
I'm happy with Vizio M series we purchases a couple of weeks ago, although i think Bravia has a better default color setting
I have a Bravia in the bedroom. Better by default? Who uses the default settings??
post #3505 of 3766 Old 04-12-2015, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoInSTL View Post
I have a Bravia in the bedroom. Better by default? Who uses the default settings??
I never owned a TV that required so much fiddling with PQ settings as my M50. The default settings were the worst I've ever seen.

But, after ALOT of research and trial and error I'm rewarded with the best PQ my $500 could possibly buy. It is best TV value I've ever experienced!
post #3506 of 3766 Old 04-12-2015, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sti491 View Post
I never owned a TV that required so much fiddling with PQ settings as my M50. The default settings were the worst I've ever seen.

But, after ALOT of research and trial and error I'm rewarded with the best PQ my $500 could possibly buy. It is best TV value I've ever experienced!
Agree. It does require a lot of fiddling, but end result is great.
post #3507 of 3766 Old 04-12-2015, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I agree as well but there are several posts with suggested advanced and calibration settings. Since my TV was exchanged I lost my professionally calibrated settings. I plugged in the settings he used and while the greyscale is surely off as each set is different they are working fine until my calibrator gets back from being on tour.
post #3508 of 3766 Old 04-12-2015, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Since my M50 update it's firmware I have had no freezes, which is a nice improvement. Having owned my set since black Friday I remain very happy with PQ. My only other issue with my set seems to have got worse since the update. I am wondering if anyone else has this issue:

After watching Netflix smart app, then switching back to cable, my screen image gets small like a picture in picture size. The only way to get full screen again is to turn the TV off and on again. This used to be intermittent. Now it's fairly consistent.

I can watch Netflix on Apple TV connected to my M50 also, and never have the problem.
Hey I had this same exact issue with the small tiny screen in the upper left corner after watching Netflix. I posted it a couple pages back and No one chimed in about it. I knew I couldn't be the only one. It might just have to do with the 50 inch m series cause I had a 42 inch m series and this never happened after calling vizio I found out that this shouldn't be happening and it's a problem with the video processor. He was going to ship me out a new one to exchange my tv with it but I was still in best buys return period so I just returned it and now I'm waiting on the 2015 m series to come out.

Last edited by Wermey; 04-12-2015 at 07:58 AM.
post #3509 of 3766 Old 04-12-2015, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Have you removed the Netflix app, power down, then re-install it? Look at 5:12 minutes of this YouTube video if you are unsure how to do it.

Just a thought. No idea if it will work or not. I would power it off both after removing it and again after installing it.

Edit: Well never mind in light of what Wermey posted. I would try it anyway.

Last edited by MoInSTL; 04-12-2015 at 08:06 AM.
post #3510 of 3766 Old 04-13-2015, 10:59 AM

Liked: 10
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiels99 View Post
Agree. It does require a lot of fiddling, but end result is great.
It's like a child.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page