Official 2014 Vizio Mxxx-Bx Series owners thread - Page 119 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 291Likes

post #3541 of 3766 Old 04-30-2015, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuner View Post
Saw that I had a firmware update overnight. Fixed the problem. Very happy that the image is back to the way it use to be. Now just need it to stay....stay....stay.

I need to look deeper into the settings but is there a way to turn off automatic updates? I don't want them screwing with MY set anymore.
If you care a lot, remove all the network settings. But this also means you can't use the smart features.

Or if you know a lot about computers, use your router to block access to the server the TV gets updates from (may also stop smart features from working. it's hard to say).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3542 of 3766 Old 05-04-2015, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 661
I have the 50" 1080p M-series Vizio and the screen went black suddenly. I am left with sound and no picture.
post #3543 of 3766 Old 05-05-2015, 03:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post
I have the 50" 1080p M-series Vizio and the screen went black suddenly. I am left with sound and no picture.
Oh no. Did you already try unplugging it from the outlet, wait several minutes, plug it back in? Call Vizio as they have a process where you hold down the power button on the back. Can't recall the order of the steps.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3544 of 3766 Old 05-05-2015, 03:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoInSTL View Post
Oh no. Did you already try unplugging it from the outlet, wait several minutes, plug it back in? Call Vizio as they have a process where you hold down the power button on the back. Can't recall the order of the steps.

Good luck.
I never hooked it up to our network when I purchased,but the evening before I did to try out its streaming services.
I am curious if they pushed a firmware through that may have done something ?
Just not sure,but was within my return window,so just exchanged out for the same thing. It is one of the best bangs for the buck great picture,low input lag,decent sound and motion handling.
Glad I could still find one.
post #3545 of 3766 Old 05-05-2015, 04:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post
I never hooked it up to our network when I purchased,but the evening before I did to try out its streaming services.
I am curious if they pushed a firmware through that may have done something ?
Doubtful...I would contact Vizio first to see if they have suggestions, may just need to be reset.
post #3546 of 3766 Old 05-08-2015, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Got the firmware update on my M60 recently. FALD lag appears to be fixed but is anyone noticing some weirdness with the color now? Haven't checked multiple sources yet but in episodes of Daredevil (via Netflix on Roku 3) flesh tones in dim scenes have these bizarre greenish splotches... Still there after a factory reset and no amount of fiddling in the color balance settings seemed to have any effect.

Anyone else notice anything weird like this?
post #3547 of 3766 Old 05-10-2015, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
...flesh tones in dim scenes have these bizarre greenish splotches... Still there after a factory reset and no amount of fiddling in the color balance settings seemed to have any effect.
Anyone else notice anything weird like this?
That's not normal of course, especially after doing a factory reset.

...something's not quite right (thank you Mr. Obvious).

Call Vizio Support ASAP, advise them of your recent FW update, they will probably have a solution for you.

VIZIO:
PHONE: 1-877-878-4946
Hours of Operation:
Mon-Fri: 6am-9pm PST
Sat-Sun: 8am-4pm PST

Gene

VIZIO M602i-B3 SN: Q51 (MFR December 15-21 2014)
VIZIO E601i-A3 SN:WAN50 (MFR
December 10-16 2012)
NETGEAR N600 Wireless Dual-Band Router
PLEX, SERVIIO, TVersity Media Servers
GOOGLE CHROMECAST
COMCAST 1080i
post #3548 of 3766 Old 05-10-2015, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
forcing a firmware update

I bought an M502i-B1 a few days ago. It had firmware 1.0.4 installed. I connected it to the internet mainly to get a firmware update, but no update came after several hours.

I did the procedure for forcing an update, and was immediately updated to 1.0.5. So at least sometimes, the procedure for forcing a firmware update works.

My password to my router was gone after the update; I believe this is normal, but it may be an explanation for some suddenly losing internet connectivity if unaware of this behavior or that an update has happened.

Is the most recent firmware for this TV 1.0.5, or is there a newer one?

Last edited by Froido; 05-10-2015 at 06:28 PM.
post #3549 of 3766 Old 05-11-2015, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froido View Post
I bought an M502i-B1 a few days ago. It had firmware 1.0.4 installed. I connected it to the internet mainly to get a firmware update, but no update came after several hours.

I did the procedure for forcing an update, and was immediately updated to 1.0.5. So at least sometimes, the procedure for forcing a firmware update works.

My password to my router was gone after the update; I believe this is normal, but it may be an explanation for some suddenly losing internet connectivity if unaware of this behavior or that an update has happened.

Is the most recent firmware for this TV 1.0.5, or is there a newer one?
Care to share the post or procedure? I'm currently trying to get my tv updated.
post #3550 of 3766 Old 05-12-2015, 04:59 AM

With regard to forcing a firmware update:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droidus View Post
Care to share the post or procedure? I'm currently trying to get my tv updated.
It's on this page at post 3498: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...hread-117.html
post #3551 of 3766 Old 05-17-2015, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Had my new replacement professionally calibrated last night. Two others were re certified. Turned out great.
post #3552 of 3766 Old 05-22-2015, 08:22 PM

Does anyone know if there's a way to maintain power to the USB port on an M492I-B2 while the TV is off? I recently bought a Roku stick and had planned on powering it through the USB port. But right now, the USB port power turns off (along with the Roku) when the TV turns off.
post #3553 of 3766 Old 06-04-2015, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Firmware version update???

My M55 is still on firmware version 1.34. A few months ago Vizio was pushing out v.1.6 to most Mxxx-Bx. Should I do something? Be worried? Chill, have a cold beer, and enjoy v1.34?
post #3554 of 3766 Old 06-04-2015, 07:50 PM

Liked: 12
Same here. Just purchased a 55" for my spare room and am on 1.34. Looking for some decent settings and wondering if I should connect it to the Internet?
post #3555 of 3766 Old 06-05-2015, 02:49 PM

FW Update

My FW Updated Today

Vizio M602i-B3 SN:Q51 (MFR December 15-21 2014)

To:..... FW v1.60.10-020.0190

The update notice was on-screen when I turned on the set for the first time this morning. I did NOT personally initiate the update.

As far as any differences apparent with the new update, I noticed that my Custom Picture Setting (Menu>TV Settings>Picture) changed from my Custom setting to "Calibrated Dark". This changed in both my Comcast input, Multi-Directional Indoor Antenna input, as well as the Multimedia (App) for my DLNA Media Servers.

My Custom Setting was still in the Picture Mode menu so it was easy enough to reset it back to my desired Custom Setting. Just something for you to be aware of when you are updated, check ALL your inputs for any changes to your picture settings from those you had set before the update.

I also notice in the Picture Mode menu a setting for "Primetime" which I don't remember as being there before the update, but I could be wrong since I just use my Custom settings all the time.

Gene

December 10-16 2012)
GOOGLE CHROMECAST
COMCAST 1080i
post #3556 of 3766 Old 06-09-2015, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryhian View Post
Same here. Just purchased a 55" for my spare room and am on 1.34. Looking for some decent settings and wondering if I should connect it to the Internet?
When I had an M55, I used the settings from the rtings.com review of that model. The only thing I brought down in their settings was the color saturation (they had it in the 60's but I kept it lower in the 50's). If you want to delve deeper, smeg36's 1.34 color tuner settings for the M65 looked pretty nice with the M55 also. My M55 was replaced by Vizio with an M65 a few months ago and I've had it online with no issues (it's 1.34 and hasn't received 1.60 yet).
post #3557 of 3766 Old 06-09-2015, 02:08 PM

Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 41 View Post
When I had an M55, I used the settings from the rtings.com review of that model. The only thing I brought down in their settings was the color saturation (they had it in the 60's but I kept it lower in the 50's). If you want to delve deeper, smeg36's 1.34 color tuner settings for the M65 looked pretty nice with the M55 also. My M55 was replaced by Vizio with an M65 a few months ago and I've had it online with no issues (it's 1.34 and hasn't received 1.60 yet).
My post on Amazon product review: I actually purchased my M552i-B2 at my local Costco as a local sale only. However, the most helpful reviews are always on Amazon so I wanted to give some helpful information to prospective buyers here. First, let me say that I did online research for over 4 weeks on what to purchase. I was upgrading my TV in my home office, which I watch mostly at night. I am a sports enthusiasts, especially for football. My original intentions were to get a 4K UHD TV, however, after studying intensely the current programming, it was decided that there is not enough content available yet. However, in a few years, I will upgrade this TV to 4K when that technology has matured. The major problem for me is that I watch a lot of old movies from 40-60's and the up-scaling of 480i (SD) images on a 4K TV is really bad presently. On the other hand, up-scaling 480 to 1080 is pretty good and even awesome for some movies. This Vizio model is a 2014 model. You may ask why would I purchase a 2014 model in 2015. Vizio changed their "M" series to 4K TVs this year, and since I had decided against a 4K TV, my Vizio choices were this 2014 "M" model or the 2015 "E" series, which is a good TV in its own right, however, not quite as good as the 2014 "M" model. This 2014 "M" model has 120/240hz refresh rate (E series is 60hz), 4 HDMI inputs (E series has 3), 32 active LED zones (E series has 12), and a dual sided remote with full keyboard (E series has the simple remote). If you go read the rtings.com reviews of this 2014 "M" model, you might become paranoiac about purchasing this TV as these ratings made me really consider not purchasing this model due to the blurring features and negative comments about fast-action blurring particularly sports. HOWEVER, I studied carefully the pages and pages of posts in the AVS Forums website on this TV and found plenty of assurance that this TV does have some blurring challenges, but the criticism of blurring was in a highly technical testing environment where blurring tests were so segregated that even though the testresults were less than ideal, real time viewing of the TV in a home environment showed no blurring issues at all, especially when the picture settings were calibrated per several examples given in the forums. I spent about 30 minutes setting up the picture settings with examples given in the the forums and on Amazon from actual users, and I have found that this TV gives one of the best HD pictures of anything I have seen in the stores. Last night I watched the NBA finals Game 2 on ABC and the quality of the broadcast was stunning, with ABSOLUTELY NO BLURRING whatsoever. Live Hockey, Baseball, Tennis, and Youtube Football videos have all been tested with absolutely no blurring or fast-action problems. I run an Android TV box, a Roku, a NUC Windows 8 PC, and a Home Theater system / Blueray player through the HDMI ports and every picture on every HDMI imput is stunning in HD. Up-scaling 480i content from regular SD broadcast TV and old movies is really outstanding with no issues at all. The Home Theater system uses the HDMI1 input labeled "ARC" meaning that the TV can (and does) control the separate theater sound system with the Vizio remote control. The Vizio TV recognized my Home Theater system and immediately connected to it. I disabled the TV speakers in the settings, and instantly, my Home Theater system picked up the sound in all its glory. The only strange thing I noticed when setting up the TV was that when I got my Dish Network Hopper hooked up, there was a lip sync issue between the satellite broadcast and the sound. However, it seemed like the TV just needed about 5 minutes to sync everything and it went away and never has returned. All my other HDMI inputs are synced accurately, and there are no issues now whatsoever. I had read that this does happen, and I had read it had also happened to other Vizio TV owners, not even this model, on Direct TV. Although, it seems that the problem always corrected itself for those who didn't return their TVs. So, to sum up, despite the mildly critical comments about fast-action blurring on the rtings.com review for the 2014 M55i-B2, in the real-world environment of home TV viewing, and additionally, utilizing examples of calibrated picture settings blurring is not an issue with this model. The calibrated picture settings (fine tuning) per examples available on the internet yield an even better picture for any type of viewing. It runs a home theater sound system on the HDMI1 input via the ARC technology seemlessly. Plus the fact that this TV can be purchased at discounted prices because it is a 2014 model make it a great value. Pitted against the less equipped LG and Samsung 2015 models, I would choose this TV again. It is definitely a better TV with more features (IMO) than the 2015 "E" series and I believe I made the absolute correct decision to purchase this 2014 model brand new. In fact, the serial number on this TV indicates that it was manufactured in January 2015, per online tips for interpreting manufacturing dates based on the serial number. I am a happy owner of the Vizio M55i-B2 for viewing in my home office.
post #3558 of 3766 Old 06-15-2015, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
so bought the 42" in feb and have gotten to really like the pic settings over the past few months...got home tonight after work and turned on the unit to see the 1.60 firmware update screen...now my picture settings have been deleted...son of a...back to the drawing board i guess as i didnt write anything down.
post #3559 of 3766 Old 06-15-2015, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by hort22 View Post
so bought the 42" in feb and have gotten to really like the pic settings over the past few months...got home tonight after work and turned on the unit to see the 1.60 firmware update screen...now my picture settings have been deleted...son of a...back to the drawing board i guess as i didnt write anything down.
Oh well, you have a Gamma setting now.
hort22 likes this.

🔥🔥🔥 Sent from my Samsung Note 7 Using Ove Glove™ 🔥🔥🔥
post #3560 of 3766 Old 06-15-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hort22 View Post
..got home tonight after work and turned on the unit to see the 1.60 firmware update screen...now my picture settings have been deleted
At the risk of being redundant, because I talked about this in my
recent post above...
Quote:
Originally Posted by iautotron
My Custom Setting was still in the Picture Mode menu so it was easy enough to reset it back to my desired Custom Setting. Just something for you to be aware of when you are updated, check ALL your inputs for any changes to your picture settings from those you had set before the update.

Did you save your personal settings as a Custom setting or custom settings which you had renamed?

Perhaps they haven't been deleted, just displaced, which this 1.60 FW update is apparently prone to do. Take a look through your Picture Mode settings menu (if you did indeed create a Custom setting or you saved them as Custom1 or Custom2) and see if perhaps it's still there.

Gene
hort22 likes this.

December 10-16 2012)
GOOGLE CHROMECAST
COMCAST 1080i

Last edited by iautotron; 06-15-2015 at 10:31 PM.
post #3561 of 3766 Old 06-16-2015, 07:05 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by iautotron View Post
At the risk of being redundant, because I talked about this in my
recent post above...

Did you save your personal settings as a Custom setting or custom settings which you had renamed?

Perhaps they haven't been deleted, just displaced, which this 1.60 FW update is apparently prone to do. Take a look through your Picture Mode settings menu (if you did indeed create a Custom setting or you saved them as Custom1 or Custom2) and see if perhaps it's still there.

Gene
thanks...figured it out and found them...good to go!
post #3562 of 3766 Old 06-16-2015, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Anyone ever run into an issue where the bottom of the TV displays "Searching for available updates..." continuously every 5-10 seconds? It just started tonight when I turned on my M552i-B2. Looks like my firmware version is 1.34.46.1166_135.
post #3563 of 3766 Old 06-16-2015, 04:47 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Paquette View Post
Anyone ever run into an issue where the bottom of the TV displays "Searching for available updates..." continuously every 5-10 seconds? It just started tonight when I turned on my M552i-B2. Looks like my firmware version is 1.34.46.1166_135.
Don't unplug it! This just happened to me and now my TV is dead.

See my post here

EDIT: Not dead. Left off for 20 minutes and it's back working. Updating message remains, however.

Last edited by lionelhuts; 06-16-2015 at 05:00 PM.
post #3564 of 3766 Old 06-16-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionelhuts View Post
Don't unplug it! This just happened to me and now my TV is dead.

See my post here
Too late, already did that. Luckily it didn't brick, but the issue persists. Looks like a call to Vizio may be in order. I still have 3 months left on my original warranty.
post #3565 of 3766 Old 06-16-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Too late, already did that. Luckily it didn't brick, but the issue persists. Looks like a call to Vizio may be in order. I still have 3 months left on my original warranty.
Mine just back after leaving it for 20 minutes - very strange. I still have the same updating message, though. I assume Vizio will recommend resetting the TV, so I'd write down your picture settings if you customized them.

I doubt it would help, though, as it seems like a problem on their side if both of our sets started having the exact same problem at the exact same time.
post #3566 of 3766 Old 06-16-2015, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Same thing happening to me right now.
post #3567 of 3766 Old 06-16-2015, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
doing the same thing to me.
post #3568 of 3766 Old 06-16-2015, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
must be a huge issue. can't through to vizio at all. I email [email protected] a video clip of what is going on.
post #3569 of 3766 Old 06-16-2015, 05:29 PM

I think with a few of us having the same issue, this is a problem with Vizio's systems and not our TV. Makes me feel a bit better. I'll email [email protected] and hope it's corrected soon.
post #3570 of 3766 Old 06-16-2015, 05:44 PM

Updating message just went away for me finally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page