Official 2014 Vizio Mxxx-Bx Series owners thread - Page 40 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 291Likes

post #1171 of 3766 Old 07-08-2014, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3465 Post(s)
Liked: 2510
Quote:
Originally Posted by takeuptime View Post

1.) CEC control - My previous TV allowed me to use this feature and to turn on the receiver separately from the TV only when I wanted to use my system. When I enable CEC on the Vizio, my receiver is powered on every time I turn on the TV. Does anyone know how to enable CEC control for volume only, not power?

4.) Actual screen size - I noticed the picture doesn't quite fill the entire screen when picture size is set to normal. I think there was a 1/16" on both the top and bottom of "dead screen". When I set the screen to "Wide" the full screen was filled out. What's the deal here?

5.) Sound - My Sony LED had much better sound quality. Granted, it was considerably more expensive. The sound is okay during most viewings. I notice the "tin" sounding speakers when watching Arial America on Smithsonian channel. It could just be the sound quality of the channel is bad. Do you guys prefer to have the surround function on the TV speakers set to On of Off?
CEC - the biggest issue with CEC is lack of standardized protocols. With HDMI 1.4, the protocols that each mfr can use are optional so that there will be compatibility issues from time to time with various devices. CEC is all or none. There aren't any settings that one can use. It's very similar and related to ARC. You either enable it or you disable it. HDMI 2.0, once fully implemented with the new chips, will eliminate the optional implementation of the CEC protocols, but all of your devices will have to have HDMI 2.0 capability so........

Actual Screen Size - look for a setting like 1:1 pixel matching (or whatever Vizio calls it). That sets your picture to display all of the information that is being sent to it and doesn't crop any to fit the screen. You may, from time to time on network television see little squiggly lines at the very top of the frame but that's because there isn't any information there to be displayed because you are viewing all that there is. Some programs will crop or alter the picture depending on the source and if they are trying to fit the 16x9 size without distortion.

Sound - disable the tv speakers altogether and get, at the very least, a soundbar or, ideally, a real 5.1/7.1 sound system. Audio on most tv's is terrible because they just don't have the capability to render decent audio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 3766 Old 07-08-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjpk248 View Post
I usually use another's calibration as a reference point when dialing in. Isn't that fair? (I don't have any cal equip)
Fair to who? Ph8te is correct. You can use another's settings if you want, and they may work. But most of the time they will be less than ideal because of component tolerances (the actual mfr specs of the various electronics) and the viewing environment.

There are only four ways to improve your pq. One, fiddle the controls until you get something you can live with. Two, get a calibration disk and set the basics yourself (contrast, brightness, aspect, sharpness, and color) following the REC.709 standards. That will not calibrate your tv but you can make some very good adjustments (certainly better than the first method). Three, buy a good meter and associated software and calibrate your tv yourself. This takes a long time because of the learning curve involved but there is good help in the Display Calibration forum. Or four, hire a professional (not BB ) to do your calibration. Depending on the quality of the tv build, calibrations can last for a couple of years if the drift isn't too bad.
post #1173 of 3766 Old 07-08-2014, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
CEC - the biggest issue with CEC is lack of standardized protocols. With HDMI 1.4, the protocols that each mfr can use are optional so that there will be compatibility issues from time to time with various devices. CEC is all or none. There aren't any settings that one can use. It's very similar and related to ARC. You either enable it or you disable it. HDMI 2.0, once fully implemented with the new chips, will eliminate the optional implementation of the CEC protocols, but all of your devices will have to have HDMI 2.0 capability so........

Actual Screen Size - look for a setting like 1:1 pixel matching (or whatever Vizio calls it). That sets your picture to display all of the information that is being sent to it and doesn't crop any to fit the screen. You may, from time to time on network television see little squiggly lines at the very top of the frame but that's because there isn't any information there to be displayed because you are viewing all that there is. Some programs will crop or alter the picture depending on the source and if they are trying to fit the 16x9 size without distortion.

Sound - disable the tv speakers altogether and get, at the very least, a soundbar or, ideally, a real 5.1/7.1 sound system. Audio on most tv's is terrible because they just don't have the capability to render decent audio.
Thanks for the reply!

That's unfortunate about the CEC control. Being able to turn on my AVR separately and then control it through the TV volume was something I loved and used all the time.

I have the aspect ratio set to "Normal", which would be the 1:1 pixel mapping. I just thought it was odd there was unused space on the screen for 16:9 content. I also only noticed this when I got really close to the screen. I'm trying to just forget I noticed it.

As far as the sound goes, I do have 5.1 speaker system with a speaker bar, rear surrounds and a sub, but sometimes I just want to casually watch TV without being enveloped. I also live in an apartment complex, and while I keep the speaker levels low, I assume by neighbors appreciate me using the TV speakers more often than the surround sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1174 of 3766 Old 07-08-2014, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Thanks for the reply!

That's unfortunate about the CEC control. Being able to turn on my AVR separately and then control it through the TV volume was something I loved and used all the time.

I have the aspect ratio set to "Normal", which would be the 1:1 pixel mapping. I just thought it was odd there was unused space on the screen for 16:9 content. I also only noticed this when I got really close to the screen. I'm trying to just forget I noticed it.

As far as the sound goes, I do have 5.1 speaker system with a speaker bar, rear surrounds and a sub, but sometimes I just want to casually watch TV without being enveloped. I also live in an apartment complex, and while I keep the speaker levels low, I assume by neighbors appreciate me using the TV speakers more often than the surround sound.
The picture size depends on the source. if you are watching cable tv, then all bets are off. They use all kinds of resolutions, and they aren't always what they say it is.

Same with dvd's and such.

I use my E600i-b3 as a computer monitor, and I run all video through my computer to the tv. I very rarely see a issue with the picture meeting the edges as they are meant to. The only time they don't, is because of the source. Everything is digital now, and the Vizio are just like big computer monitors, and behave the same way.

Active LED Zones is a flawed feature, I would recommend turning it Off. It may work right while watching somethings, but not all. The most important feature in the Vizio line is Full Array Local Dimming, by default these tv's have great blacks, and ALZ doesn't really change the blacks enough to warrant the negative side effects. Banding, and face blooming being the biggest problem when you have ALZ On. With it ALZ Off, all those problems go away. Just leave all Advanced Picture settings off. Smoothing, and Motion Blur settings can be On or Off depending if you they are doing the job properly or not. I guess that goes for ALZ as well.

The 2014 Vizio's are great tv's. ALZ isn't important, because it looks great without it. Maybe next year or so, they will get the bugs out of it for the E and M series. The P and R series, might be a different story. Time will tell there.

If you're on the fence about a 2014 Vizio, either the E or M are great buys, and they are worth the money. ALZ not required.

Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3, 950watts, Intel 3770k, 32gb ram, 34tb, Sli Nvidia 480, THX Sound Card, Logitech THX z906 Speakers, E600i-b3, Yamaha v375, Cerwin Vega VS150, VS120, L7's, and Klipsch 2.2
post #1175 of 3766 Old 07-08-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply!

You can do what I do and get a programmable remote like a Harmony and control all of your devices the way you want. You could even program it to turn on just the tv (no HTS) and use the tv's speakers if you want. Totally eliminates CEC issues.
post #1176 of 3766 Old 07-08-2014, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ugh, deciding whether to pull the trigger on the 65" M. I can pick one up at BB for $1350 after 10% off coupon. To me that sounds like an amazing price, but I really wanted to see what the P series has to offer. Then I thought about the lack of true 4k content anyway and the $1400 or so price difference (estimate for the 70" P) and I'm torn... Still using my 6 year old 46" XBR.
post #1177 of 3766 Old 07-08-2014, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6529 Post(s)
Liked: 6257
If you don't need a TV right now then I always say wait. The P series may be here in the next 1-2 months. With the money saved however it could go to a 2015-2016 model when there should be more 4K content available and most of the specifications should be finalized.

Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS
blau808 likes this.
post #1178 of 3766 Old 07-08-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
If you don't need a TV right now then I always say wait. The P series may be here in the next 1-2 months. With the money saved however it could go to a 2015-2016 model when there should be more 4K content available and most of the specifications should be finalized.

The 10% off coupon I have expires at the end of the month. If I only knew how well the P would upscale Blu-Rays that would be a deciding factor. Another factor is hooking up my PC. I tried searching but will the 65" M run 120hz to a PC hookup?
post #1179 of 3766 Old 07-08-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blau808 View Post
The 10% off coupon I have expires at the end of the month. If I only knew how well the P would upscale Blu-Rays that would be a deciding factor. Another factor is hooking up my PC. I tried searching but will the 65" M run 120hz to a PC hookup?

Go to your local Post office and pick up a "Moving" packet. 10% coupons are in there as well I think.

post #1180 of 3766 Old 07-08-2014, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Post by Vizio on their Facebook page are saying the P series will start to come out in Sept. But probably not all of the sizes at once, like with this M series.
post #1181 of 3766 Old 07-08-2014, 03:42 PM

I don't think it will be as dragged out as the E and M. There are many fewer sizes to roll out than the 1st models.

post #1182 of 3766 Old 07-08-2014, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Has there been any testing on the 65" yet and the B2 vs B3 panels? Is the input lag better than the 60"? Is it significantly brighter?

Living room: Vizio P75 - Definitive BP2000TL, CLR3000, BPVX Bedroom: Definitive BP30, CLR2000
Theater: JVC RS540, 130" Centerstage XD, 1099 L/C/R, Definitive BPVX/BPX, quad SI 18
post #1183 of 3766 Old 07-08-2014, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Although no one seemed have responded back, my remote control keyboard issue where 5-6 keys were unresponsive is now resolved. Removing the batteries for awhile didn't work but when speaking with Costco support and Vizio on one quick phone call I was able to get them working. I had to remove the batteries then actually press each of the front buttons twice on the front of the remote (without batteries) then give it another try. Shortly thereafter all was fine.

EDIT: Nevermind. They stopped working after awhile.

Last edited by jra716; 07-08-2014 at 09:14 PM.
post #1184 of 3766 Old 07-08-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradthebold88 View Post
Has there been any testing on the 65" yet and the B2 vs B3 panels? Is the input lag better than the 60"? Is it significantly brighter?

None that I am aware of. All we know is that per the specs the 65 is brighter than the 60. The 60 however is a 10 bit panel. If you are talking strictly lag tests not sure one will be done until more people have the 65 set.

post #1185 of 3766 Old 07-08-2014, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Dell currently has the M422I-B1 is $499.99 with $200 Dell eGift Card (should see the gift card mentioned after adding to cart): http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...d78102b5fe78de

Tempted to pick this up but I just picked up the 32" 2 days ago. In any case, waiting on the P series myself.
post #1186 of 3766 Old 07-08-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
None that I am aware of. All we know is that per the specs the 65 is brighter than the 60. The 60 however is a 10 bit panel. If you are talking strictly lag tests not sure one will be done until more people have the 65 set.

Yeah, I know the specs were brighter on the 65" and that the brightness on the 60" changed from 350 to 210 nits. I have the 60" now and its plenty bright normally; with MBR on, it's ok, but I might want it a little brighter. I also saw someone said the panel layering was different, or something like that, so the 60" may seem brighter because it has less to shine through or something. So that's why I was wondering if the 65" is actually a significant amount brighter in real life compared to on paper.

As for input lag, it's ok on the 60". Seems a little better than my XVT3 maybe, but if the B2 panels are better (like the 50M? or the one M that had 27ms of lag), that might push me towards upgrading.

Living room: Vizio P75 - Definitive BP2000TL, CLR3000, BPVX Bedroom: Definitive BP30, CLR2000
Theater: JVC RS540, 130" Centerstage XD, 1099 L/C/R, Definitive BPVX/BPX, quad SI 18
post #1187 of 3766 Old 07-08-2014, 05:40 PM

When the 65 starts making it to B&M stores well get more reports. Until then I don't know of anyone (that's posted) that had both the 60 and 65 or any other version. Most owners so far are for the smaller sets and the 60.

post #1188 of 3766 Old 07-08-2014, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Go to your local Post office and pick up a "Moving" packet. 10% coupons are in there as well I think.

If it's the same 10% coupon we just got in our USPS moving packet from BB you will find flat screens excluded. It's on the website under exclusions. Even though the coupon has a pic of a flat screen on it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ph8te likes this.
post #1189 of 3766 Old 07-08-2014, 06:24 PM

Thanks, haven't seen one in awhile didn't know they excluded flat screens.

post #1190 of 3766 Old 07-08-2014, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Is it already established that all 55's are 8 bit panels? And all 60's are 10 bit? Or is it a crapshoot moreorless?
post #1191 of 3766 Old 07-08-2014, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by superkyle View Post
Actually if you only tweak picture settings such as color,contrast, brightness etc it will remain in game mode and create a custom setting. This can be verified. Switch to game mode from any preset configuration. You will notice the screen flash as the processing is turned off. If you switch between two non game mode picture settings there will not be a screen flash. Now create your custom game mode as I mentioned above. Again when switching to this new picture setting the screen will flash verifying that game mode is still turned on. With that said you can in fact tweak the game mode settings and save them however if you try to enable or disable settings in the advanced picture settings menu it will more than likely revert back to a non game mode setting. I have not tried it yet so I can't say for sure if it will or not but just wanted to let you know you can create a custom game mode.
Thanks for the info ... my question has been answered. Now to get everything set up as prescribed.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk
post #1192 of 3766 Old 07-08-2014, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Thumbs down Bad Unit? Disappointed

I picked up a M602i-B3 (60 inch) from Costco. I was very disappointed and returned it. There was a weird artifact that once and a while (pretty frequently) the picture would sputter for about 1 second. My wife even noticed and asked why it sometimes looked like slow motion. I dug through every setting and and could not stop it from happening. Maybe I got a bad one? Anyone else see this type of problem? A side note, I run all my TV content via Windows Media Center -> AMD Video -> HDMI at 59hz. The old 56" DLP I want to replace had a rock solid picture before it died, with Media Center as its' source, so I am pretty sure it is not the PC, unless there is some sort of incompatibility between the PC and Vizio?
post #1193 of 3766 Old 07-08-2014, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp14 View Post
I picked up a M602i-B3 (60 inch) from Costco. I was very disappointed and returned it. There was a weird artifact that once and a while (pretty frequently) the picture would sputter for about 1 second. My wife even noticed and asked why it sometimes looked like slow motion. I dug through every setting and and could not stop it from happening. Maybe I got a bad one? Anyone else see this type of problem? A side note, I run all my TV content via Windows Media Center -> AMD Video -> HDMI at 59hz. The old 56" DLP I want to replace had a rock solid picture before it died, with Media Center as its' source, so I am pretty sure it is not the PC, unless there is some sort of incompatibility between the PC and Vizio?
Did you try any other source?

post #1194 of 3766 Old 07-09-2014, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blau808 View Post
Ugh, deciding whether to pull the trigger on the 65" M. I can pick one up at BB for $1350 after 10% off coupon. To me that sounds like an amazing price, but I really wanted to see what the P series has to offer. Then I thought about the lack of true 4k content anyway and the $1400 or so price difference (estimate for the 70" P) and I'm torn... Still using my 6 year old 46" XBR.
I pulled the trigger. Delivery is on the 21st of July. Now the long wait.
post #1195 of 3766 Old 07-09-2014, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am going to order the 2014 65 inch M Series through Amazon as no stores locally in Buffalo NY area has them in stock.

One quick question, is Square Trade 4 yr $99 Warranty a good investment or waste of money?
lionelhuts likes this.
post #1196 of 3766 Old 07-09-2014, 06:15 AM

"Worth it" is a personal decision. I believe it will be cheaper through costco even when not a member. Extended warranties are debated here some people like the piece of mind others don't see the need for them. Do what makes you the most comfortable.

post #1197 of 3766 Old 07-09-2014, 06:18 AM

Liked: 11
Just picked up the m-series 49" (M492I-B2) from sams club last night. They had not unpacked and stocked them near the TV's yet so they fork lifted down the skid and let me choose which one I wanted, nothing like a fresh pallet of TV's .

I must say I am very impressed. Blacks are much better than my epson 8350 projector and I am even quite happy with the colors out of the box. Skin tones are a bit off but not worth worrying about. There is some noticeable dimming/darkening of the backlight in the corners as other had mentioned but it is only noticeable with a full white screen, during normal content you would never know.

My last LCD set was a westinghouse 42" from 2006 that served me well until we went to a projector only household a couple years ago. While the projector looks amazing with a good blu-ray on the 120" screen it is quite a production effort to go down to the basement and get everything turned on and light control in place. I am glad to have the living room TV back and be able to just flip it on to watch something quickly. This set compared to the westinghouse is not really worth mentioning, it is just a different league.

Build quality suprised me, it is much more solid than I was expecting from a Vizio or any tv at this price point.

I plan on doing a lag time test on my Wii U tonight out of sheer curiosity, I did a couple laps of mario kart 8 and could not notice anything significant, but hardly a good benchmark.
jasenj1 likes this.
post #1198 of 3766 Old 07-09-2014, 07:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky1976 View Post
I am going to order the 2014 65 inch M Series through Amazon as no stores locally in Buffalo NY area has them in stock.

One quick question, is Square Trade 4 yr $99 Warranty a good investment or waste of money?
I just bought a 2014 55" M Series to replace the my 2.5 year old Sony LED which developed power board issues and wouldn't turn on. Sony doesn't make the boards anymore and they are sold out everywhere online except used versions on Ebay. Parts and labor to fix the old TV would have been $300-$400. I got the Vizio M Series at Costco and didn't even think twice about paying the extra $60 for a total of 5 years of warranty. Your warranty would cost $80. In my case I'm paying less than an additional 7% of the TV cost (or the price of a dinner with drinks) for 5 years of peace of mind on a expensive piece of equipment I use every single day. This is the first warranty I have ever bought and never considered them necessary before. It usually takes something bad happening to change how you value these things.
post #1199 of 3766 Old 07-09-2014, 07:23 AM

Yeah, my parents had an XVT1 that was replaced under the Costco/Amex extended warranty and I had a XVT3 that was repaired twice before the warranty expired and it's still having issues. I was too scared from my experiences not to get the warranty.

post #1200 of 3766 Old 07-09-2014, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp14 View Post
I have a Win8 MCE PC connected to my M602i and I don't have any stuttering or pausing, although I am using an nVidia card. Did you have smooth motion (may be called something else, can't remember) turned off? With it on I see stutters occasionally, but that's the nature of the beast with the motion interpolation "feature."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page