Official Panasonic TC-58AX800U & TC-65AX800U 4k Owners Thread - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 192Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #421 of 1178 Old 10-24-2014, 06:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregPug View Post
Update: my AX800U arrived yesterday and I got it wall mounted shortly thereafter. I haven't even had a chance to try 3D yet, nor the DisplayPort connection, but I can confirm that over HDMI 2.0, I'm getting 4:4:4 color at 4K/60Hz, and the TV passes all the static image tests I've been using. I've only done a little bit of tweaking in the settings menu, but already I'm impressed with the PQ. So first impressions are -- loving it!

Apologies for the low quality cell phone camera picture below, but at least you can get an idea of how it fits into my existing 'cockpit' setup:

Nice. Is that the 50 inch version?
djevoultion is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #422 of 1178 Old 10-24-2014, 08:55 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by djevoultion View Post
Nice. Is that the 50 inch version?
No, 58" - the TC-58AX800U.
GregPug is offline  
post #423 of 1178 Old 10-25-2014, 01:15 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So I went to the Good Guys store today to have a look at the Samsung HU9000 and HU8500 and to compare it to the AX800 that was on display. The AX800 on display did not look like it was leaning back at all. From the side it was a very slight lean but not distracting at all.

It appears My AX800 at home does indeed lean back more. Going to re-seat it in the stand to see if that fixes it. Odd issue.
djevoultion is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #424 of 1178 Old 10-25-2014, 04:09 AM
Member
 
dabotsonline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 168
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negchampa View Post
Although I currently have it hooked up via HDMI unitl I can pick up a DisplyPort 1.2 cable.
FYI:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Wiley, Chairman, VESA
A standard DisplayPort cable is designed to work with any DisplayPort
Source device, such as a PC or laptop, and any DisplayPort monitor.
This means that a standard DisplayPort cable will work with the very
first DisplayPort systems and displays introduced around five years
ago, and they will continue to work with the newest and future systems
and displays that support multi-stream and display resolutions up to
4K (Ultra HD) at 60Hz...

Despite what you may read, there is no such thing as a DisplayPort 1.1
cable and DisplayPort 1.2 cable. A standard DisplayPort cable,
including the so-call DisplayPort 1.1 cables, will work for any
DisplayPort configuration including the new capabilities enabled by
DisplayPort 1.2, including 4K and multi-stream capabilities. All
standard DisplayPort cables support RBR, HBR (High Bit Rate), and HBR2
(High Bit Rate 2), which can support 4K at 60Hz, or up to four 1080p
displays using multi-stream.
http://www.displayport.org/cables/ho...get-a-bad-one/
SDsc0rch likes this.

I, dabotsonline / Nicholas Polydor, am part of Panasonic UK's 'VIERA VIP Club': a group of six bloggers and forum posters receiving special access to information and events for the TV product range. Costs for activities are covered by Panasonic (no cash is involved). However, I can assure that this will never compromise my integrity or objectivity as an ethical conscience is something I have always and will forever hold very dear to my heart.
dabotsonline is offline  
post #425 of 1178 Old 10-25-2014, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
Salacak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 538
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Is any AX800U owners has these vertical line almost middle of the screen (you notice it in light background pictures when camera is moving Hockey game, Soccer etc.).
I just have to make a decision replace or just return this item. I know light bleed bottom middle of the screen few more people have them, that is not a dealbreaker for me.
As much as i love the PQ in this TV if this is an issue most people has i rather don't bother with it.
Salacak is offline  
post #426 of 1178 Old 10-25-2014, 02:09 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Nice to see some fellow DCS players here, I'm hoping to get the ax800u myself for DCS. Also, thanks Gregp for the pic of your new setup, I hope to see another vid and more impressions!

You other gents have any pics of your setup? I'm especially interested in anyone running this panny with an Obutto cockpit!

Thanks,
Morgue
SDsc0rch likes this.
Morguedcs is offline  
post #427 of 1178 Old 10-25-2014, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
jamessh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 632
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Did anyone directly compare this to the 9000 series Samsung before pulling the trigger? My local A/V guy can do $200 cheaper on the 65 panny versus the Samsung, but they are taking forever to get in and are special order. Any thoughts from owners?
jamessh1 is online now  
post #428 of 1178 Old 10-25-2014, 05:31 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamessh1 View Post
Did anyone directly compare this to the 9000 series Samsung before pulling the trigger? My local A/V guy can do $200 cheaper on the 65 panny versus the Samsung, but they are taking forever to get in and are special order. Any thoughts from owners?
I did at the store. Black levels appear better on the AX800. Colors appear better on the Samsung HU9000.Other than that they appeared fairly similar in PQ. Not sure if one upscales better than the other though. TV's were both running 4k content. Would be interested to read anyone else's opinions on the two sets. I gather the majority people posting here would have seen the Samsung in store.
djevoultion is offline  
post #429 of 1178 Old 10-25-2014, 05:38 PM
Member
 
SDsc0rch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: san diego
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 0
@Morguedcs >>



apologize for the lame cell ph pic

i currently have the 58-in mounted on top of a file cabinet - the monitor adapter (VESA) that comes with the Obutto r3v doesn't fit the 400mm size

will be (hopefully) building an adapter for tomorrow to mount the ax800 to the obutto monitor stand

will try to folup w/ a pic of how it all looks afterword..

i7-4790K 4Ghz | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 970 | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U
SDsc0rch is offline  
post #430 of 1178 Old 10-26-2014, 10:37 AM
Senior Member
 
phases's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just to update on my purchase. Best buy bud came out on a service call to see the buzzing coming from them the power cord area where it plugs into the tv. (was very loud, could hear on couch 12 feet away over the content), agreed it needed to be replaced. For good measure called a larger store with a big Magnolia section and had them check theirs on display, wasn't doing it.

I went to the bigger store to look at it and other models and do the swap so I wouldn't have to wait for Geek Squad to come out, or our store to get one in stock. While there we noticed the banding issue on the display unit which we thought might just be related to the power clicking/buzzing. The Magnolia guys said they thought they had mounted it too tight to the bracket on the back to cause it on theirs.

So. We collectively determined it was a model issue. I ended up swapping for a Sony x850b, and to be honest every moment with the new one has been a much much nicer experience than with the AX800. The Smart GUI is MUCH faster and smoother, has much more content on Sonys networks, and the TV looks better. Plus other perks that we're loving, and the picture settings menu is much more pleasing for me. The whole menu is really.

The Panasonic had deeper blacks but, all in all we are considerably happier with the new one. And it was 200 bucks cheaper! My only regret is not jumping on the 70".

For what it's worth for anyone out there reading and debating..

Thanks for your help guys, cheers.

Last edited by phases; 10-26-2014 at 10:44 AM.
phases is offline  
post #431 of 1178 Old 10-26-2014, 12:01 PM
Member
 
SDsc0rch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: san diego
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 0
question...

"how" can i put this TV into FULL SCREEN mode?

i don't get enough frame rates in 4K - so i want to step it down to 1440

but when i do that, the image area is reduced - and i see a black frame all the way around the image

when i go in to Picture | Screen Settings | Screen Format - it "seems" like that's where i would be able to change the mode to "FULL" --- but its greyed out and inaccessible

what OTHER setting do i have to have the TV in to get 1440 at full size?

in 4K i'm getting mid-20s framerates - at 1440 i'm getting in the 40s

thx!

i7-4790K 4Ghz | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 970 | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U
SDsc0rch is offline  
post #432 of 1178 Old 10-26-2014, 01:26 PM
Member
 
dandiego's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDsc0rch View Post
question...

"how" can i put this TV into FULL SCREEN mode?

i don't get enough frame rates in 4K - so i want to step it down to 1440

but when i do that, the image area is reduced - and i see a black frame all the way around the image

when i go in to Picture | Screen Settings | Screen Format - it "seems" like that's where i would be able to change the mode to "FULL" --- but its greyed out and inaccessible

what OTHER setting do i have to have the TV in to get 1440 at full size?

in 4K i'm getting mid-20s framerates - at 1440 i'm getting in the 40s

thx!
I don't think it will upscale a 1440p signal to 2160p -- see page 25 of the eManual (http://shop.panasonic.com/docs/opera...HELP_AX800.pdf), which states that the aspect ratio is fixed to "FULL."

How does 1080p upscaled to 4K look?

Btw, someone over in the Vizio P series thread tried 1440p on their set and it didn't look good, which I'm taking to mean that it upscaled it to 4K vs. black bars on the borders.
SDsc0rch likes this.
dandiego is offline  
post #433 of 1178 Old 10-26-2014, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Hawkmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,065
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Yeah, you can't output to 1440p, it is the same on other 4k sets like Sony's as well. You can either have full screen 1080p or full screen 2160p, if you do anything in-between, it will be boarders around the image.


What GPU/CPU are you using? 4k gaming is extremely demanding and even top of the line GPU/CPU combo will struggle with certain games. I am using an overclocked 3930k CPU paired with Water Cooled Overclocked original GTX Titan's in SLI to drive 4k and depending on the game, I can hit 60fps, but on some games I average around 40-45fps. Also at 4k, ensure you turn off any AA as at that resolution it is not doing much for you, so that can save some GPU resources to maintain the frame rate in games.
SDsc0rch likes this.

-Hawkmoon
Hawkmoon is offline  
post #434 of 1178 Old 10-26-2014, 02:50 PM
Member
 
ambidexterous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
Yeah, you can't output to 1440p, it is the same on other 4k sets like Sony's as well. You can either have full screen 1080p or full screen 2160p, if you do anything in-between, it will be boarders around the image.


What GPU/CPU are you using? 4k gaming is extremely demanding and even top of the line GPU/CPU combo will struggle with certain games. I am using an overclocked 3930k CPU paired with Water Cooled Overclocked original GTX Titan's in SLI to drive 4k and depending on the game, I can hit 60fps, but on some games I average around 40-45fps. Also at 4k, ensure you turn off any AA as at that resolution it is not doing much for you, so that can save some GPU resources to maintain the frame rate in games.
Hawkmoon, my PC* is capable of [email protected] Hz
would that mean if I go for this set I wouldn't be able to watch movies in full screen without those artifacts you're mentioning ?

My PC is also capable of [email protected] - i wonder if that's a better choice for a movie then? Probably not for sports I imagine, although isn't most downloadable content (torrented fullhd movies in mkv container) going at only 25fps or something anyway ?

Anyhow if I would decide to play something less demanding on graphics like latest version of Civilization I wouldn't be able to play that @60hz without the artifacts then ?

*intel i7 4650u with Intel hd 5000
U-Processor
ambidexterous is offline  
post #435 of 1178 Old 10-26-2014, 04:08 PM
Member
 
SDsc0rch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: san diego
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 0
ok.. you're right

so, for future reference (for anyone searching around the forums at some arbitrary point in the future..) you can have "full screen" 1080p via the HDMI cable

or full 4K @ 60Hz via DP cable

turning off/minimizing all AA and other "improvements" in DCS - yet leaving MED water, FAR terrain distance, etc -- i'm getting low 40s for framerates at 4K, sometimes dipping into the lower 20s (yes, seeing stuttering - yes, its annoying ---- probably gonna have to buy a second 970 in SLI to bump things up higher)

*sigh*

i7-4790K 4Ghz | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 970 | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U
SDsc0rch is offline  
post #436 of 1178 Old 10-26-2014, 05:59 PM
Member
 
dandiego's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDsc0rch View Post
ok.. you're right

so, for future reference (for anyone searching around the forums at some arbitrary point in the future..) you can have "full screen" 1080p via the HDMI cable

or full 4K @ 60Hz via DP cable

turning off/minimizing all AA and other "improvements" in DCS - yet leaving MED water, FAR terrain distance, etc -- i'm getting low 40s for framerates at 4K, sometimes dipping into the lower 20s (yes, seeing stuttering - yes, its annoying ---- probably gonna have to buy a second 970 in SLI to bump things up higher)

*sigh*
It will accept 4K @ 60 Hz over HDMI 2.0 as well.
dandiego is offline  
post #437 of 1178 Old 10-26-2014, 08:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDsc0rch View Post
ok.. you're right

so, for future reference (for anyone searching around the forums at some arbitrary point in the future..) you can have "full screen" 1080p via the HDMI cable

or full 4K @ 60Hz via DP cable

turning off/minimizing all AA and other "improvements" in DCS - yet leaving MED water, FAR terrain distance, etc -- i'm getting low 40s for framerates at 4K, sometimes dipping into the lower 20s (yes, seeing stuttering - yes, its annoying ---- probably gonna have to buy a second 970 in SLI to bump things up higher)

*sigh*
I'd never heard of DCS before, so I downloaded it to check out. With everything set on Max, 4k, I'm running nice and smooth at 4k, also using a 970.
Heck, I can run Skyrim at full max settings without a hitch at 4K, too.
SDsc0rch likes this.
Womac911 is offline  
post #438 of 1178 Old 10-26-2014, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Hawkmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,065
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambidexterous View Post
Hawkmoon, my PC* is capable of [email protected] Hz
would that mean if I go for this set I wouldn't be able to watch movies in full screen without those artifacts you're mentioning ?

My PC is also capable of [email protected] - i wonder if that's a better choice for a movie then? Probably not for sports I imagine, although isn't most downloadable content (torrented fullhd movies in mkv container) going at only 25fps or something anyway ?

Anyhow if I would decide to play something less demanding on graphics like latest version of Civilization I wouldn't be able to play that @60hz without the artifacts then ?

*intel i7 4650u with Intel hd 5000
U-Processor
I am not sure what you mean by artifacts. To me artifacts are glitches in the graphics as if your overclock on the GPU or CPU is not stable. Your PC is capable of [email protected], regardless if it has the horse power to do it all the time at 60fps in all games.


In order to help/understand you better, are you planning to have the PC more as a media device to run movies to the AX800 or are you mainly wanting the PC connected to the TV for gaming?


For gaming, depending on the game, you would run the game at 3840x2160 and then use a program like FRAPS to monitor your frame rate. Some people don't mind gaming at 4k and 30fps, others are more sensitive to wanting the higher frame rate. I guess you need to answer the following:


1. What res do you ultimately want to play your games at?
2. What is an acceptable frame rate for your gaming? Is it 30 or 60fps?
3. Are you also want to stream movies and other video media to the set from the PC?

-Hawkmoon
Hawkmoon is offline  
post #439 of 1178 Old 10-26-2014, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Hawkmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,065
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDsc0rch View Post
ok.. you're right

so, for future reference (for anyone searching around the forums at some arbitrary point in the future..) you can have "full screen" 1080p via the HDMI cable

or full 4K @ 60Hz via DP cable

turning off/minimizing all AA and other "improvements" in DCS - yet leaving MED water, FAR terrain distance, etc -- i'm getting low 40s for framerates at 4K, sometimes dipping into the lower 20s (yes, seeing stuttering - yes, its annoying ---- probably gonna have to buy a second 970 in SLI to bump things up higher)

*sigh*
Yeah, a single 970 has no chance of running 4k at a decent frame rate unless you turn a lot of things down. What some people don't realize is that the whole point of going 4k for gaming is to have much richer looking games with a extremely high level of image quality. When you have to turn down textures and some other things you are defeating the reason for using a 4k display. Certain things like you mentioned such as AA, Terrain density etc. will help and will not deter from the image quality at 4k and will help in frame rate.


For me, I usually turn off motion blue as I never was a fan of blur being added to games, this helps reduce the workload somewhat from the GPU. But right now, with the most power full GPU's available, you need a minimum of 2 GPU's in SLI or Crossfire (AMD) to really appreciate 4k gaming and even with that, you will have some game dropping to the 30's or so unless you turn down a lot of other things.


If you get a second 970, which you should being you have this screen, you will see a major improvement in your games, you should be able to run every game with most settings set to ultra, no aa of course or just a small amount with some decent frame rate. Yeah, you wont get 60fps solid in many games, but you will be able to find a sweet spot that will look amazing and play really good.

-Hawkmoon
Hawkmoon is offline  
post #440 of 1178 Old 10-26-2014, 10:23 PM
Member
 
Griffn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: WI
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hey guys, first time poster here. I am strongly considering this AX800 to hook up to my gaming rig and there is a lot of really good information on this thread. It is nice to see a Forum thread stay on topic... mostly


I wanted to ask @Salacak , with that clouding issue you are having, Have you tried the "screen rub" technique that someone had mentioned earlier in this thread? They seemed to think that it helped improve the LCD panels uniformity a bit.


Also, on the screen being tilted backwards a bit which I am sure is due to Panny not wanting issues with it tipping forward. Has anyone tried shimming the bottom of the stand to bring the panel upright and then using the upped wall mount bolt holes to attach a tether to either the wall behind it or the stand that the TV is sitting on? I would think a simple 3 point harness would do. 2 points on the back of the tv using the upper wall mount holes, attach a thin cable and the anchor it to the wall or stand at one point.


Anyways, I have been waiting to hopefully see if a Best Buy Magnolia store would get this TV on the wall at some point. But may just have to take a leap of faith and go for it, especially if any Black Friday deals surface. Seems like a lot of TV for $2,000 especially since it is running a Main 10 chip, instead of a practically obsolete 8 bit solution.
Griffn1 is offline  
post #441 of 1178 Old 10-26-2014, 11:45 PM
Member
 
ambidexterous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
I am not sure what you mean by artifacts. To me artifacts are glitches in the graphics as if your overclock on the GPU or CPU is not stable. Your PC is capable of [email protected], regardless if it has the horse power to do it all the time at 60fps in all games.


In order to help/understand you better, are you planning to have the PC more as a media device to run movies to the AX800 or are you mainly wanting the PC connected to the TV for gaming?


For gaming, depending on the game, you would run the game at 3840x2160 and then use a program like FRAPS to monitor your frame rate. Some people don't mind gaming at 4k and 30fps, others are more sensitive to wanting the higher frame rate. I guess you need to answer the following:


1. What res do you ultimately want to play your games at?
2. What is an acceptable frame rate for your gaming? Is it 30 or 60fps?
3. Are you also want to stream movies and other video media to the set from the PC?
You're right "artifacts" wasn't the right word.
I was referring to what was described as "black frame all the way around the image"

Thank you for your specific questions Hawkmoon!

My intention is to use this display exclusively as a PC monitor. So the source will be PC only.

1.
So first use - for regular computing - programming mostly. Idea is to split it up into 4 logical monitors.
Using a tool like this one. Here's someone blogging about it using a different display.

2.
The second use would be to watch movies. 720p and 1080p for the most part. Some UHD streamed from netflix.

3.
The third use would be for gaming.
To answer your question about FPS. I've no idea what is an acceptable rate for gaming for me. I would need some advice on this one. To give you a background - last time I played a PC game was around 9 years ago so I really don't remember.
To be honest I don't plan to be gaming much it's just this one game I want to have a go at which is the latest version of Civilization - that game being turn based I imagine would run ok-ish on 30fps ??? or not?

Since I have this cpu/gpu limitation** my understanding is that I would have a choice to switch between 2 modes (hopefully with some easy presets).
Mode 1: 30fps on UHD
Mode 2: 60fps on 3440x1440

My questions related to the use modes.
1) Programming/Browsing net. Would it be ok experience with Mode 1 or I would have to switch to Mode 2 to get rid of any potential mouse lag and pay the price of seeing those black boundries around the screen?

2) Movies. I guess I would be ok to watch all the content in Mode 1 here except maybe for sports where I would have to go to Mode 2

3) Civ. No idea what the experience would be with 30fps. How bad does it actually is in the Mode 2. I understand you loose some real estate but apart from that does it look really annoying?

**Microsoft Surface Pro 3
Intel i7 4650u @1.7 GHz with Intel HD 5000 GPU

According to Intel the limitation of U-Processors (chipset):
[email protected] Hz
[email protected] Hz

According to this post of an actual owner of this laptop who tested this:
max [email protected] fps is 3440x1440

Last edited by ambidexterous; 10-26-2014 at 11:50 PM.
ambidexterous is offline  
post #442 of 1178 Old 10-27-2014, 12:39 AM
Member
 
SDsc0rch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: san diego
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 0
with DSR (i think its a new nvidia feature - Dynamic Super Resolution - see post here) i'm able to get FULL SCREEN 1440p resolution in-game with the desktop resolution set at 4K- that setting yields *very* decent framerates

mostly around 70fps, up into the low-hundreds, sometimes into the 50s-and-60s -- head-down in the cockpit, i get low-40s

that's 1440p over the HDMI cable in port4


experimenting with straight-up 4K (still on HDMI/4), i get "decent" FRs (to wit, low-40s - but taking a detour too often into the low-20s) but there's a stuttering visible to me and i've just gotten too used to silky smooth at the 1080 resolution that the jittery-ness i see at 4K with a single card just isn't acceptable to me - it gets in the way and i find it distracting

i7-4790K 4Ghz | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 970 | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

Last edited by SDsc0rch; 10-27-2014 at 12:45 AM.
SDsc0rch is offline  
post #443 of 1178 Old 10-27-2014, 01:35 AM
Member
 
Griffn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: WI
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
@SDsc0rch
Thanks for the PM, yeah I can't use PM yet. Maybe I didn't explain what I was trying to say concerning setting up a TV on a stand. What I was referring to was people who wanted to use a TV stand or speaker or something to put the TV on and didn't mount it to the wall but wanted it be straight instead of leaned back. I have an illustration but I can't post it until I have 5 posts.
SDsc0rch likes this.
Griffn1 is offline  
post #444 of 1178 Old 10-27-2014, 01:43 AM
Member
 
Griffn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: WI
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
For you guys using it as a gaming rig, I saw that the game mode is an additional option separate from the picture modes. Do any of you have a way to test if some picture modes or setting yield a faster response time compared to others? Just curious if the 37ms total response time that PC-Mag reports in their review is best case scenario or if that can be expected no matter what as long as Game mode is enabled.
Griffn1 is offline  
post #445 of 1178 Old 10-27-2014, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Hawkmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,065
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffn1 View Post
For you guys using it as a gaming rig, I saw that the game mode is an additional option separate from the picture modes. Do any of you have a way to test if some picture modes or setting yield a faster response time compared to others? Just curious if the 37ms total response time that PC-Mag reports in their review is best case scenario or if that can be expected no matter what as long as Game mode is enabled.
Game Mode is the one that achieves the best input lag. The great thing about this set is that Game Mode can be used in conjunction with the other pre-set's. Obviously turning on/off certain processing features will impact the input lag, but the best you can get is around the 37ms that has been reported from several sites already.

-Hawkmoon
Hawkmoon is offline  
post #446 of 1178 Old 10-27-2014, 11:40 AM
Senior Member
 
esoxlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Despite seeing horrible PQ from a HD 720P satellite feed on a 65" demo at a 2001 Audio Video store, I decided to still go through with the purchase. Just to refresh everyone's memory, I was really concerned that our PN60F5500 would have better PQ than the AX800 when viewing a 1080i cable feed and then having my wife going ape-crap on me.

So here's the setup, had the TC-65AX8000 and a 60" Samsung PN60f5500 side by side both connected to the latest 1080i cable box from Rogers. And please keep in mind that this cable box can feed two TV's simultaneously using the HDMI and Component outputs. The HDMI was connected to AX800 and the component to the plasma. Tested this setup by watching Hockey, College Football and the World Series. In all 3 cases, the AX800 appeared to just look better than the plasma.

Then I switched things up, HDMI was fed to the plasma and the component was connected to the AX800. Same as before, the AX800 looked better overall.

As for my wife, she felt that the AX800 had both a sharper image and more intense color.

Really can't say why the demo at the 2001 A/V store looked so bad.
esoxlee is offline  
post #447 of 1178 Old 10-27-2014, 12:04 PM
Member
 
Griffn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: WI
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
Game Mode is the one that achieves the best input lag. The great thing about this set is that Game Mode can be used in conjunction with the other pre-set's. Obviously turning on/off certain processing features will impact the input lag, but the best you can get is around the 37ms that has been reported from several sites already.
Right, I was just wondering if someone had a bit of a "cheat sheet" of processing options to enable or disable to make sure you are achieving the 37ms. I'm also curious what kind of a difference some of the options would make on the response time. For example, if the best times are around 37ms, what would say turning the up conversion from disabled to medium do (just an example, not sure if this is an actual option on the TV)? Would it change the response time to 41ms, or would it be more drastic like 65 or 70ms?
Griffn1 is offline  
post #448 of 1178 Old 10-27-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Chise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,692
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by esoxlee View Post
Despite seeing horrible PQ from a HD 720P satellite feed on a 65" demo at a 2001 Audio Video store, I decided to still go through with the purchase. Just to refresh everyone's memory, I was really concerned that our PN60F5500 would have better PQ than the AX800 when viewing a 1080i cable feed and then having my wife going ape-crap on me.

So here's the setup, had the TC-65AX8000 and a 60" Samsung PN60f5500 side by side both connected to the latest 1080i cable box from Rogers. And please keep in mind that this cable box can feed two TV's simultaneously using the HDMI and Component outputs. The HDMI was connected to AX800 and the component to the plasma. Tested this setup by watching Hockey, College Football and the World Series. In all 3 cases, the AX800 appeared to just look better than the plasma.

Then I switched things up, HDMI was fed to the plasma and the component was connected to the AX800. Same as before, the AX800 looked better overall.

As for my wife, she felt that the AX800 had both a sharper image and more intense color.

Really can't say why the demo at the 2001 A/V store looked so bad.
Most stores have bad electricity.
Chise is offline  
post #449 of 1178 Old 10-28-2014, 11:22 AM
Member
 
Griffn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: WI
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
This might be old news but I just saw something over on Reviewed.com where a Panasonic Rep was saying that they are also working with Amazon to bring Prime 4K to the AX800 and 900. So having the 800 be able to do both Netflix and Amazon 4k is pretty awesome.
Griffn1 is offline  
post #450 of 1178 Old 10-28-2014, 05:18 PM
Member
 
SDsc0rch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: san diego
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffn1 View Post
This might be old news but I just saw something over on Reviewed.com where a Panasonic Rep was saying that they are also working with Amazon to bring Prime 4K to the AX800 and 900. So having the 800 be able to do both Netflix and Amazon 4k is pretty awesome.
uh.. YEAH!

i7-4790K 4Ghz | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 970 | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U
SDsc0rch is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
TC-58AX800U

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off