Official Panasonic TC-58AX800U & TC-65AX800U 4k Owners Thread - Page 17 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 192Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #481 of 1178 Old 11-06-2014, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
badabing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
How does the AX800 black level compare to a Panasonic ZT65 Plasma? When I looked at the AX800 I could see some strange glowing around the edges from a side view. I am not used to seeing that. I went to another best buy and noticed the same thing. It was less noticeable from a front view. Bad display units? Is the AX800 better than a ZT65 Plasma in terms of Black level and 1080p quality? Or Is the AX900 going to be the one that's closest to the Plasmas Black level I am use to? How many full array zones in the AX800 vs AX900?
badabing is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #482 of 1178 Old 11-06-2014, 01:54 PM
Member
 
CRyan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by badabing View Post
How does the AX800 black level compare to a Panasonic ZT65 Plasma? When I looked at the AX800 I could see some strange glowing around the edges from a side view. I am not used to seeing that. I went to another best buy and noticed the same thing. It was less noticeable from a front view. Bad display units? Is the AX800 better than a ZT65 Plasma in terms of Black level and 1080p quality? Or Is the AX900 going to be the one that's closest to the Plasmas Black level I am use to? How many full array zones in the AX800 vs AX900?
All edge lit LCD TV's will generally have some form of light bleed as what you described. Lot/some of this though will be dialed down when properly calibrated.
CRyan is offline  
post #483 of 1178 Old 11-07-2014, 11:11 AM
Member
 
Griffn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: WI
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Man, I wish one of my Best Buy's would get these TV's in on display already... I have called 4 here around Milwaukee, WI and nobody has them on display. Once person said they have a spot on the wall for it but haven't got it yet because it "Wasn't released yet". So I think he is talking about the 900 series.

Has anyone seen anything on the AX850? I was reading an article about the 900 and they mentioned an AX850 model.
Griffn1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #484 of 1178 Old 11-07-2014, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Speakerphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,983
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffn1 View Post
Man, I wish one of my Best Buy's would get these TV's in on display already... I have called 4 here around Milwaukee, WI and nobody has them on display. Once person said they have a spot on the wall for it but haven't got it yet because it "Wasn't released yet". So I think he is talking about the 900 series.

Has anyone seen anything on the AX850? I was reading an article about the 900 and they mentioned an AX850 model.
Do any of them have a Magnolia? If not, they will not be getting a display. If they do, they should already have one up. If any of them ARE Magnolia, do you mind sharing which location?

The 85" model will be designated the 85AX850. This is due to it not having the FALD panel that is in the AX900, I believe.

Former cog in the giant wheel of the TV/CE industry.
Speakerphile is offline  
post #485 of 1178 Old 11-07-2014, 02:17 PM
Member
 
Griffn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: WI
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post
Do any of them have a Magnolia? If not, they will not be getting a display. If they do, they should already have one up. If any of them ARE Magnolia, do you mind sharing which location?

The 85" model will be designated the 85AX850. This is due to it not having the FALD panel that is in the AX900, I believe.
Sure, In the Milwaukee area I called Racine, Kenosha, Brookfield, and Mayfair. The Magnolia store is the Mayfair location. The other locations indeed pointed me to that location as the one to have it. I have since called them twice and they said that do not have ANY Panasonic 4K's on display.
Griffn1 is offline  
post #486 of 1178 Old 11-07-2014, 06:25 PM
Member
 
dandiego's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post
The 85" model will be designated the 85AX850. This is due to it not having the FALD panel that is in the AX900, I believe.
The 85" AX850 has a VA panel and is FALD -- but only 32 zones.
dandiego is offline  
post #487 of 1178 Old 11-10-2014, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Speakerphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,983
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffn1 View Post
Sure, In the Milwaukee area I called Racine, Kenosha, Brookfield, and Mayfair. The Magnolia store is the Mayfair location. The other locations indeed pointed me to that location as the one to have it. I have since called them twice and they said that do not have ANY Panasonic 4K's on display.
I am seeing that they currently have a unit in their system, marked as a shelf display. Maybe they got it up over the weekend? Should have been up a month ago, but I digress...

I'd give them another call, or maybe just stop in if it's close. Hope this helps.

Former cog in the giant wheel of the TV/CE industry.
Speakerphile is offline  
post #488 of 1178 Old 11-10-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Speakerphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,983
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiego View Post
The 85" AX850 has a VA panel and is FALD -- but only 32 zones.
Panasonic's CA site gives it the same local dimming designation as the AX800(Local Dimming PRO), as opposed to the AX900, which is "Local Dimming ULTRA". Why they wouldn't just say full-array is beyond me. I mean, take credit for it if you have have it, right?

http://www.panasonic.com/ca/consumer...-ultra-hd.html


This seems to back up what I've heard from Panasonic directly as well.

Are you sure they don't just have the 32 Zones of Edge-lit local dimming, similar to the AX800? I feel like they would give it a different designation if it was a different implementation.

I certainly could be wrong, as it wouldn't be the first time. They don't tend to answer these questions as directly as I'd like.

Former cog in the giant wheel of the TV/CE industry.
Speakerphile is offline  
post #489 of 1178 Old 11-10-2014, 02:21 PM
Member
 
Griffn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: WI
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post
I am seeing that they currently have a unit in their system, marked as a shelf display. Maybe they got it up over the weekend? Should have been up a month ago, but I digress...

I'd give them another call, or maybe just stop in if it's close. Hope this helps.
Thanks for that info Speakerphile. I actually took your advise before you gave it I just went down there last night and indeed they do have the 65" up on display. The guy there said they still don't have the 4k content package from Panasonic yet. So I was only able to see 720p and 1080p signals upscaled. I will need to go back and see it again, The 720p upscaling seemed a little iffy. It reminded me of what 480p looks like upscaled onto a 1080p screen. The 1080p looked pretty good but it was sitting right in between the Samsung and the Sony both running their 4K demos so your eye can't help but think "This one looks like Crap!". So I when I go back I am going to have him turn all the panels around it off so I can see it better.

The one they have up had about a 3" light bleed area in the top right side of the bezzle. It was not noticeable unless you were right on top of the panel and looking for it though. At regular viewing angles I couldn't see it. Now I've never owned a plasma TV so maybe it is all perspective, but I did not see any Banding or clouding issue with that panel. And it was playing the Best Buy Demo which has a majority Blue screen for good periods of time.

All in all, given that this panel is only $1,999.99 and I intend to use it mostly for gaming. I don't think there is a better 4k panel out there right now for the price and features. Main 10 chip, local dimming (of sorts), 37ms overall response time, display port, and pretty darn accurate colors once calibrated. Can't pass it up.

So now I'm just waiting for Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales. I'm sure they won't have door buster prices on it, but if I bought it at Best Buy right now and then found it for like 15% cheaper online during the sales I would be sad. That and I can wait.
Griffn1 is offline  
post #490 of 1178 Old 11-10-2014, 06:37 PM
Member
 
dandiego's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiego View Post
The 85" AX850 has a VA panel and is FALD -- but only 32 zones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post
Panasonic's CA site gives it the same local dimming designation as the AX800(Local Dimming PRO), as opposed to the AX900, which is "Local Dimming ULTRA". Why they wouldn't just say full-array is beyond me. I mean, take credit for it if you have have it, right?

http://www.panasonic.com/ca/consumer...-ultra-hd.html


This seems to back up what I've heard from Panasonic directly as well.

Are you sure they don't just have the 32 Zones of Edge-lit local dimming, similar to the AX800? I feel like they would give it a different designation if it was a different implementation.

I certainly could be wrong, as it wouldn't be the first time. They don't tend to answer these questions as directly as I'd like.
I think you're right about it being edge-lit. I just did a quick search and found this: http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...ow-demos/18615.

So if we want FALD from Panasonic this year, it looks like the 65" AX900 is the one to get.
dandiego is offline  
post #491 of 1178 Old 11-10-2014, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Latinoheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 4,351
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1486 Post(s)
Liked: 1481
Quote:
Originally Posted by badabing View Post
How does the AX800 black level compare to a Panasonic ZT65 Plasma? When I looked at the AX800 I could see some strange glowing around the edges from a side view. I am not used to seeing that. I went to another best buy and noticed the same thing. It was less noticeable from a front view. Bad display units? Is the AX800 better than a ZT65 Plasma in terms of Black level and 1080p quality? Or Is the AX900 going to be the one that's closest to the Plasmas Black level I am use to? How many full array zones in the AX800 vs AX900?
From what I read the ax800 is not on par with the ST60/VT60/ZT60 black levels. The new AX900 will be very close in black levels from reading Mark's first impression of it.

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
Latinoheat is offline  
post #492 of 1178 Old 11-11-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Speakerphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,983
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiego View Post
I think you're right about it being edge-lit. I just did a quick search and found this: http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...ow-demos/18615.

So if we want FALD from Panasonic this year, it looks like the 65" AX900 is the one to get.
That is my understanding. The AX900 looks pretty amazing though. Had a chance to see it next to the X950B and it did not disappoint. To be fair, the Sony did not look as good as I know it can, but the AX900 looked better. So, by extension, I would assume them to be very similar in performance. The AX900 though did look like plasma in many ways. Not completely there, but as close as I've ever seen in an LCD.

Former cog in the giant wheel of the TV/CE industry.
Speakerphile is offline  
post #493 of 1178 Old 11-11-2014, 04:02 PM
Member
 
CRyan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Alright Panasonic... If you are reading this, don't force updates. I have been enjoying this TV so far - Intend on providing some feedback here after getting a better handle on the settings.

Anyway, apparently, there is a new update available for this set and the TV will NOT allow me to watch Netflix or use any of the online functions until the update is complete. Well, this is a problem when the update keeps failing to download. Additionally, this new update is not yet available on their website so I can't just use a USB drive. So, being dependent on the online features for TV viewing for the moment, I get to sit here and watch a blank TV that can't update and thus cannot be used as a TV. I can only assume this is how Panasonic treats updates across all their current TV's. Those pondering a future AX900 purchase - Be aware!

Last edited by CRyan; 11-11-2014 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Hey, 3 hours later, i can use the TV again. Not sure what 2103 did though - No documentation.
CRyan is offline  
post #494 of 1178 Old 11-12-2014, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 11,415
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3837 Post(s)
Liked: 3776
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRyan View Post
Alright Panasonic... If you are reading this, don't force updates. I have been enjoying this TV so far - Intend on providing some feedback here after getting a better handle on the settings.

Anyway, apparently, there is a new update available for this set and the TV will NOT allow me to watch Netflix or use any of the online functions until the update is complete. Well, this is a problem when the update keeps failing to download. Additionally, this new update is not yet available on their website so I can't just use a USB drive. So, being dependent on the online features for TV viewing for the moment, I get to sit here and watch a blank TV that can't update and thus cannot be used as a TV. I can only assume this is how Panasonic treats updates across all their current TV's. Those pondering a future AX900 purchase - Be aware!
Looks like it was Network application related:

http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/...own_na_04.html

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
chunon is offline  
post #495 of 1178 Old 11-14-2014, 05:25 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I hope users here can help me, I've been unsuccessful for some time getting answers to my concerns.

I enjoy high motion smoothing, I guess a lot of others hate it but I really like it. I have seen the Samsung 8550 in action and thought it was good, but I didn't enjoy the black levels nor the colors. I own last years Panasonic Viera plasma and the black level and colors on my older gen tv absolutely wreck the newer Samsung 8550. My concern is a toss up between the Samsung HU9000 and this new Panasonic AX800.

Which of the two has the better motion smoothing ( the one that will be able to get set on high motion smoothing and have the least amount of artifacting and glitching around objects in motions. ) I've owned the Samsung D7000 2 years ago and it was abysmally bad at this. The higher the motion smoothing went up, the worse the halo glitching around objects in motion was. It was truly awful. So, to any owners of this panasonic ax800, what are your thoughts on its motion smoothing and how does it handle itself on the maximum setting.
Mjulius is offline  
post #496 of 1178 Old 11-15-2014, 01:30 AM
Newbie
 
Scofthe7seas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Did anybody ever end up testing and seeing if this model can do 1080p @ 120hz? Or really any refresh rate over 60?
My Sony XBR2 can do 61! (wooooooo!)

Last edited by Scofthe7seas; 11-16-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Scofthe7seas is offline  
post #497 of 1178 Old 11-17-2014, 06:53 AM
Member
 
Fete26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Hello. I am looking to purchase the 58” AX800 relatively soon but have one question. Does anyone know the exact specs of the HDMI 2.0 port will I be able to get 4K video at 60 FPS with this unit? I know some manufactures’ are being very vague when talking about HDMI 2.0. I was impressed with the picture quality with this TV. Thank you for any help.
Fete26 is offline  
post #498 of 1178 Old 11-17-2014, 07:59 AM
Member
 
Griffn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: WI
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fete26 View Post
Hello. I am looking to purchase the 58” AX800 relatively soon but have one question. Does anyone know the exact specs of the HDMI 2.0 port will I be able to get 4K video at 60 FPS with this unit? I know some manufactures’ are being very vague when talking about HDMI 2.0. I was impressed with the picture quality with this TV. Thank you for any help.
Hi, Someone can correct me if I am wrong but earlier in this thread it was mentioned that HDMI 2.0 can on do 4k @ 30hz. I believe that is just a limitation of HDMI 2.0 bandwidth and not so much if the TV can do it.

To get 4K @ 60HZ you should use the display port, which thankfully this TV has.
Griffn1 is offline  
post #499 of 1178 Old 11-17-2014, 10:11 AM
Member
 
eabeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 17
It's a bandwidth limitation of HDMI 2.0 when using HDCP 2.2. When HDCP 2.2 is not required, there is plenty of bandwidth for 4K @ 60 hz with 4:4:4 chroma. I believe this television can do [email protected] 60 hz at 4:4:4 over HDMI 2.0 either through smart switching (bypassing HDCP 2.2 when source doesn't require it) or via dedicated HDMI 2.0 port(s) that don't have HDCP 2.2. You don't have to use the display port.
eabeck is offline  
post #500 of 1178 Old 11-17-2014, 05:07 PM
Member
 
dandiego's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by eabeck View Post
It's a bandwidth limitation of HDMI 2.0 when using HDCP 2.2. When HDCP 2.2 is not required, there is plenty of bandwidth for 4K @ 60 hz with 4:4:4 chroma. I believe this television can do [email protected] 60 hz at 4:4:4 over HDMI 2.0 either through smart switching (bypassing HDCP 2.2 when source doesn't require it) or via dedicated HDMI 2.0 port(s) that don't have HDCP 2.2. You don't have to use the display port.
I was just reading the manual and the relationship between a 4K 60Hz 4:4:4 and HDCP 2.2 isn't entirely clear to me...
For HDMI4, there is a setting that toggles HDCP 1.4 and 2.2 support, and there is also a setting called "4K Pure Direct" that allows a 4:4:4 signal to be received by the TV. The 4K Pure Direct setting is only available when being sent a 4:4:4 signal...

I'm wondering if both HDCP 2.2 and 4K Pure Direct can be simultaneously turned on? I know this isn't important at this point, but it would be nice to have that option in case the 4K Blu-ray standard ever supports 4K 60Hz 4:4:4.
dandiego is offline  
post #501 of 1178 Old 11-17-2014, 07:51 PM
Member
 
eabeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The current HDCP chips do not support the bandwidth required by [email protected], 4:4:4. That's why PureDirect is only available when receiving that type of source. It disables HDCP.
eabeck is offline  
post #502 of 1178 Old 11-17-2014, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gomo657's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,918
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Official Panasonic TC-58AX800U & TC-65AX800U 4k Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by eabeck View Post
The current HDCP chips do not support the bandwidth required by [email protected], 4:4:4. That's why PureDirect is only available when receiving that type of source. It disables HDCP.

Where are you getting that info pure direct on any other Panny does not disable HDCP.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
gomo657 is online now  
post #503 of 1178 Old 11-17-2014, 10:21 PM
Member
 
eabeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Sorry, I do not know for a fact. I'm making an assumption that it must be disabling HDCP. I'm going off of what I have researched of the technological limitations of HDCP 2.2. I have been on a 6 month exhaustive search for 4K tv's that can do [email protected] 4:4:4. Are those other sets you speak of 4k? If the other sets you speak of are 1080P, then they aren't limited by the bandwidth of the HDCP chipsets and can still have HDCP enabled. This is strictly an issue with the SI HDCP 2.2 chips that are available at this time. You cannot do HDCP 2.2 and [email protected] 4:4:4. The new SI HDCP chips will be out soon and should be available in 2015 model TV's with enough bandwidth for [email protected] 4:4:4. I could be wrong, maybe Panasonic isn't using the SI HDCP 2.2 chips and have engineered another solution that no other manufacturer has done yet. That would be great!
eabeck is offline  
post #504 of 1178 Old 11-17-2014, 11:44 PM
Newbie
 
kitejumping's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I looked at this display a lot today along with the f9000 below it, the blacks on this one were better to me, the whites also looked brighter, with stock calibration I would still give the edge to the f9000 due to more accurate skin tones, but I can see the potential is there as overall I liked the picture on the ax800 better. They were setup with a tv feed so not really a good test, but comparing it with the f9000 and vizio p series 55, I definitely liked this one the best. The viewing angles on the 55 p series didn't impress me as I started to notice ghosting with the local dimming on darker parts of their demo when not viewed straight on (worse than my 7 year old samsung lnt4081f FALD LED TV, guess vizio still has some work to do). The lack of displayport on the samsung made it an easy choice as well....

The price dropped on best buy again, ordered for in store pickup so if there are any issues it will at least be easy to return. I am planning on driving it with a 7970 ghz and 3930k at 4.8 ghz, might crossfire in a R9 280x or another 7970 in the future if I decide to do a lot of gaming on it. Panasonic is throwing in a soundbar if you buy it from them but the shipping aspect and fact that they still charge tax pushed me towards best buy.
kitejumping is offline  
post #505 of 1178 Old 11-19-2014, 06:05 AM
Member
 
Fete26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Ok. I am down to 2 sets the AX800 and XBR850. I am going into Best Buy tonight but I am having trouble deciding. I believe both tv's can do [email protected] is that correct? Also I am trying to some what future proof myself. Any other info would help! Thanks.
Fete26 is offline  
post #506 of 1178 Old 11-21-2014, 03:00 PM
Senior Member
 
esoxlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Still had few days left to return my 65AX800, so I went back to the store to check out the Samsung UN65HU9000. They had one all calibrated in one of their premium home theater demo setups displaying a 4K feed. Wasn't all that impressed. I mean it had decent PQ, but it wasn't any better than the 65AX800 when I plugged in some movies I had on a USB drive. Definitely not worth an additional $1500 more than what I paid for the 65AX800 and didn't really like the curved screen. Then I found out the 65ax800 dropped in price by $300, so I'll be getting that back as a refund because it's within 30 days of my purchase date. Looks like I'll be keeping the unit.
esoxlee is offline  
post #507 of 1178 Old 11-21-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 11,415
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3837 Post(s)
Liked: 3776
Just out of curiosity what are the issues you see with the set ?
chunon is offline  
post #508 of 1178 Old 11-21-2014, 06:31 PM
Senior Member
 
esoxlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fete26 View Post
Ok. I am down to 2 sets the AX800 and XBR850. I am going into Best Buy tonight but I am having trouble deciding. I believe both tv's can do [email protected] is that correct? Also I am trying to some what future proof myself. Any other info would help! Thanks.
Go for the AX800, you're buying from Best Buy which means you can return it for the Sony if you're not satisfied. Read in the XBR850 thread the Sony can do [email protected] but not full 4:4:4 Chroma. The AX800 can do full [email protected] 4:4:4.
esoxlee is offline  
post #509 of 1178 Old 11-21-2014, 06:47 PM
Member
 
Fete26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by esoxlee View Post
Go for the AX800, you're buying from Best Buy which means you can return it for the Sony if you're not satisfied. Read in the XBR850 thread the Sony can do [email protected] but not full 4:4:4 Chroma. The AX800 can do full [email protected] 4:4:4.
Could the XBR850B do [email protected] 4:4:4 via a firmware up date or is that not possible? Sorry if that was a stupid question. Also I see that the XBR850B can do [email protected] at 8bit instead of 12+ bit. Is that something that could hurt when 4K blu rays come out?
Fete26 is offline  
post #510 of 1178 Old 11-21-2014, 11:54 PM
Senior Member
 
esoxlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fete26 View Post
Could the XBR850B do [email protected] 4:4:4 via a firmware up date or is that not possible? Sorry if that was a stupid question. Also I see that the XBR850B can do [email protected] at 8bit instead of 12+ bit. Is that something that could hurt when 4K blu rays come out?
I believe getting full 4:4:4 is a hardware issue and can't be addressed through firmware. The AX800U and just about all other [email protected] sets are 8bit too. And yes, it would be an issue when 4K Blu-ray comes out. But I would think it would be in the best interest of those behind 4K B-R that they do something to accommodate all the 8bit 4k sets with minimal loss in PQ. They can't expect folks spending a fortune on 10/12 bit 4K sets that are even more expensive than current 4K sets and then drop another wad of cash on the players. I mean current 4k sets are finally beginning to become affordable, so they need to cater to that. Case in point, after getting a refund of $300 on the 65AX800 because it went on sale for $2979 CAD, that's just a few hundred bucks more than a lot of the 65" 1080P 3D LED TV's being sold.
esoxlee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
TC-58AX800U

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off