Masking Your Edgelit LCD TV for Better Blacks - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 274Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #241 of 313 Old 06-30-2014, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
David Susilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Markham, Canada
Posts: 10,205
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 656
Betting against your knowledge of calibration vs tubetwister? I bet against you for sure.

Remember that game "You Don't Know Jack!"? Everytime I read your post, you remind me of that phrase. And just like the game, it was entertaining in the beginning, after a while it gets annoying, and in the end I threw the game away with my other garbage piles.

I don't know AVS policy on thread hijacking, but it's a truly frowned upon nettiquette.
kernmyea and tubetwister like this.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo
ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED & WifiHifi Magazines
my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre
David Susilo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #242 of 313 Old 06-30-2014, 09:07 PM
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 5,008
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaria View Post
Imagic,

I have to say I'm impressed with the way you handle yourself in threads. I followed your Vizio vs Samsung thread and watched as you were ripped to shreds by certain members questioning your motives and integrity. I can't speak for others, but you have helped me understand the importance of patience and respect for fellow forum members.......keep up the good work and thank you for your posts.

I need to add, as a newbie I naively assumed that members with 1000's of posts under their belt were going to be a wealth of knowledge. After this thread I realized that I was way, way off on my assumption and that certain members have amassed those post numbers by being stubborn, inflammatory, argumentative and rude. I am just grateful that positive members far outweigh negative ones.
Welcome to AVS it's not usually like this lot's to learn and some very good discussions here !
David Susilo, kernmyea and Canaria like this.
tubetwister is offline  
post #243 of 313 Old 06-30-2014, 09:52 PM
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 5,008
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Palmer_Cass;Yes, the Cnet calibration was performed in a dark room. When the calibrator was asked what to do when the room was bright (AKA during daytime), he said disregard the dark room calibration and adjust the TV so it looks brighter. So is the TV still calibrated when you dick with settings after calibration?

RE tubetwister
Are you talking about user adjustments or CMS calibration settings and do you otherwise know the difference ?
ofc there are some sets that have none Sony has a few models like that now that does not necessarily preclude them from benefiting from a calibration however .

Adjusting the set as you say to look brighter would intuitively mean adjusting the brightness and maybe contrast and or backlight no ? Wouldn't be hard to store a day night mode would it Why the persistent narrative changes and straw man arguments ? these things do not support your positions .

J_Palmer_Cass wrote
I prefer to let the TV adjust itself for changes in ambient room lighting.

RE tubetwister
Again if you prefer to let the TV adjust itself that's fine just don't expect that others should share that preference
or believe in meta data fairies .

J_Palmer_Cass wrote
In addition, if you calibrate that TV Cnet style from the general custom mode, all the other scene modes are modified in ways that are unknown to anyone unless you write them all the settings down for pre-calibration documentation. It would take a good 8 hours of work to do that documentation.

Palmer wrote in an earlier post here
"As far as scene mode settings are concerned, calibration in one scene mode does not transfer to any other scene mode. You have to do a manual entry of settings in each scene mode, or do a new calibration."

RE tubetwister
^^^Maybe some contradiction above there ?
NO it wouldn't unless you write awfully slow ........didn't you say earlier that calibration in one scene mode does not affect another mode sure you did.

SRSLY and I shouldn't have to be the one to tell you this but you need to check your earlier posts so you don't contradict and embarrass yourself (again )

OTOH calibration *may affect the other modes possibly if you enable global changes on *some models and brands that allow for that.
OTOH each mode (user adjustments ) should be easy to be reset to defaults .

J_Palmer_Cass wrote
The only change Cnet made to the custom setup for calibration purposes was to activate the LED dynamic control (plus standard calibration required changes to white balance). All other settings were left as is except for the change from "this" input to "all" inputs.

Re tube twister
Some sets need less adjustments to measure well and look well than others nothing unusual about that no?




J_Palmer_Cass wrote,
Today I just noticed another peculiarity in my TV aside from the fact that my specific TV does in fact change scene modes based on Rovi data if the scene mode is left in auto scene mode.
Re tube twister
It may be changing scene modes but probably not from Rovi data but more likely from it's own algorithms
and or EDID data and what it sees (frame analysis) you are assuming a lot there .


J_Palmer_Cass wrote ,
Today I just noticed another peculiarity in my TV

Re tube twister
Your's TV ain't only thing peculiar around here !


J_Palmer_Cass wrote ,
If I select the Cinema mode (Cinema -1 subset) to watch a movie on broadcast TV, there is one set of settings used by the TV in Cinema-1. If I watch a DVD or Bluray in my Sony Bluray player, the Cinema-1 settings change without user intervention. You can change the settings, but if you power down the player and start the Bluray player again the Cinema-1 settings return to the Bluray player defined settings.

RE tubetwister
More commonly known as EDID and an HDMI "handshake "


Palmer wrote
You would willing to make a bet without knowing the qualifications and experience of the person you are betting against?

Re/ Tube Twister
Palmer ...........didn't you just say "I prefer to let the TV adjust itself for changes in ambient room lighting." make up your mind you can't have it both ways .

Palmer
.
Funny stuff!]

Re/ Tube Twister

Yea there is some funny stuff being bandied around here that's for sure !

Again if you prefer to let the TV adjust itself that's fine just don't take positions you can't support and denigrate
others positions and or or professions especially while not providing any legitimate support for your positions ofc someone will call you out did you expect otherwise as long as you have been posting at AVS I would have thought you would know that .

Nobody' making straw man arguments here or changing the narratives (well almost nobody ) we expect things stated as facts to be supported or at least in some way supportable that's not unreasonable !



I read the Rovi links they are all about advertising and guides nothing to do with picture quality ZERO you still have not provided any verifiable arguments that your TV uses Rovi to set or adjust picture quality the fact tour TV waits for something to set auto mode still points to the fact it is more likely looking at frames and any EDID data present before changing anything until you can prove otherwise your credibility is ZERO sorry that's how it goes when you state something as fact here that can not be supported .


Even allowing for a HUGE benefit of doubt here as I was so kind to do earlier on and imagine the TV did something with metadata other than a channel guide or something like that even after some study the fact it won't invoke Auto Mode until it see's some Rovi data (maybe it could just as well be looking at frames also and waiting for that) it is still rather incomprehensible (again ) after some reasearch to think that has anything to do with picture quality but at best is just for a channel guide or on screen channel and show title display banner .


If you are going to continue to hijack this tread at least stick your original argument don't change the narrative like c net calibrations and other posts in other threads unless it supports your argument and do provide some verifiable support of your positions (it's called free discussion ) do your research see if you can find a use patent or something .

I did some of your homework already early on and could find nothing to support any of your positions although I tried to be more than fair until the nonsense you've been posting compounded and further made it apparent that whatever you think you know has thus far has not supported any of your positions or contributed anything useful to the discussion .

TBH and I hate to have to be the one say this ... but quite frankly there are more than a few of us here probably about ready to push the ignore palmer button the fact that you can not see that by now is incomprehensible.
David Susilo and Apostate like this.

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-02-2014 at 08:41 PM.
tubetwister is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #244 of 313 Old 06-30-2014, 09:58 PM
Member
 
Canaria's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
Welcome to AVS it's not usually like this lot's to learn and some very good discussions here !
Tubetwister,

Thank you for your welcome and I agree with you 100%
Canaria is offline  
post #245 of 313 Old 07-01-2014, 12:22 AM
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 5,008
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaria View Post
Tubetwister,

Thank you for your welcome and I agree with you 100%

Re/tube twister
ha ha more than welcome I got called out last summer I think, I thought I knew a bit about mp3 .AAC and other perceptual audio encoding vs 16/44.1 redbook and other lossless audio codecs ,resolutions and file formats .
I made some statements I legitimately thought I could back up but got schooled otherwise .

Opinions are fine here encouraged in fact but if you make a statement as fact here it's always good
to be able to back it up just saying somebody always knows more around here !

I have a recording studio with an adequate amount of modern digital and some analog equipment also so music stuff ,the computers (Digital Audio Workstations ) and the associated outboard equipment and software are not unfamiliar to me
Not a majorly extravagant studio but not low end guitar center stuff either . We have music up at Amazon and I Tunes downloads and CD's and some other venues .
Anyway it was a long thread................ days .

I found out just how much I didn't know (plenty ) and at the urging of a few here and
Arny Kruger in particular ( he is a rather prominent expert in audio and an engineer I believe ) he murdered me but taught me a lesson or two that was his intent not to bully but to teach (although it can seem like that at times) he can provoke a challenging discussion but in a good way if you want to learn he also contributed volumes of useful provable information to the epic discussion and many many since then his posts are sometimes (often )way above my level of understanding but interesting and provoking nonetheless he should be a professor.


To make a long short at Arnys and some others urging I did a lot of homework and studied encoding and a little hearing perception for a few months and did some comparisons in the studio as they suggested I had to man up and admit I was wrong but if not for that encounter there is a wealth of knowledge useful to me I would have never known or even attempted to learn . OTOH there are some experts in those fields here that have the expertise of lifetime careers in that business . I learned more here just reading posts and asking some questions than I would have ever imagined .

OH the tread starter here Imagic aka Mark is an industry insider and professional a wealth of knowledge
and writes articles for AVS and others professionally in addition to putting up with us his posts and articles
are always a good read .

Discussions can get quite energetic here but if you are honest and willing to learn there is much to be learned here and
if you are wrong you might get called on it, man up admit it and and move on nobody will hold it against you that's free discussion in the purest sense one of the best forums around here lots of industry insiders and professionals here lots of experts in their fields ,expert enthusiasts ,and enthusiasts you name it enjoy the forum !
Canaria likes this.

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-01-2014 at 01:04 AM.
tubetwister is offline  
post #246 of 313 Old 07-01-2014, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
J_Palmer_Cass's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
Palmer_Cass;Yes, the Cnet calibration was performed in a dark room. When the calibrator was asked what to do when the room was bright (AKA during daytime), he said disregard the dark room calibration and adjust the TV so it looks brighter. So is the TV still calibrated when you dick with settings after calibration?

RE tubetwister
Are you talking about user adjustments or CMS calibration settings and do you otherwise know the difference ?
ofc there are some sets that have none Sony has a few models like that now that does not necessarily preclude them from benefiting from a calibration however .

Adjusting the set as you say to look brighter would intuitively mean adjusting the brightness and maybe contrast and or backlight no ? Wouldn't be hard to store a day night mode would it Why the persistent narrative changes and straw man arguments ? these things do not support your positions .

J_Palmer_Cass wrote
I prefer to let the TV adjust itself for changes in ambient room lighting.

RE tubetwister
Again if you prefer to let the TV adjust itself that's fine just don't expect that others should share that preference
or believe in meta data fairies .

J_Palmer_Cass wrote
In addition, if you calibrate that TV Cnet style from the general custom mode, all the other scene modes are modified in ways that are unknown to anyone unless you write them all the settings down for pre-calibration documentation. It would take a good 8 hours of work to do that documentation.

Palmer wrote in an earlier post here
"As far as scene mode settings are concerned, calibration in one scene mode does not transfer to any other scene mode. You have to do a manual entry of settings in each scene mode, or do a new calibration."

RE tubetwister
^^^Maybe some contradiction above there ?
NO it wouldn't unless you write awfully slow ........didn't you say earlier that calibration in one scene mode does not affect another mode sure you did.

SRSLY and I shouldn't have to be the one to tell you this but you need to check your earlier posts so you don't contradict and embarrass yourself (again )

OTOH calibration *may affect the other modes possibly if you enable global changes on *some models and brands that allow for that.
OTOH each mode (user adjustments ) should be easy to be reset to defaults .

J_Palmer_Cass wrote
The only change Cnet made to the custom setup for calibration purposes was to activate the LED dynamic control (plus standard calibration required changes to white balance). All other settings were left as is except for the change from "this" input to "all" inputs.

Re tube twister
Some sets need less adjustments to measure well and look well than others nothing unusual about that no?




J_Palmer_Cass wrote,
Today I just noticed another peculiarity in my TV aside from the fact that my specific TV does in fact change scene modes based on Rovi data if the scene mode is left in auto scene mode.
Re tube twister
It may be changing scene modes but probably not from Rovi data but more likely from it's own algorithms
and or EDID data and what it sees (frame analysis) you are assuming a lot there .


J_Palmer_Cass wrote ,
Today I just noticed another peculiarity in my TV

Re tube twister
Your's TV ain't only thing peculiar around here !


J_Palmer_Cass wrote ,
If I select the Cinema mode (Cinema -1 subset) to watch a movie on broadcast TV, there is one set of settings used by the TV in Cinema-1. If I watch a DVD or Bluray in my Sony Bluray player, the Cinema-1 settings change without user intervention. You can change the settings, but if you power down the player and start the Bluray player again the Cinema-1 settings return to the Bluray player defined settings.

RE tubetwister
More commonly known as EDID and an HDMI "handshake "


Palmer wrote
You would willing to make a bet without knowing the qualifications and experience of the person you are betting against?

Re/ Tube Twister
Palmer ...........didn't you just say "I prefer to let the TV adjust itself for changes in ambient room lighting." make up your mind you can't have it both ways .

Palmer
.
Funny stuff!]

Re/ Tube Twister

Yea there is some funny stuff being bandied around here that's for sure !

Again if you prefer to let the TV adjust itself that's fine just don't take positions you can't support and denigrate
others positions and or or professions especially while not providing any legitimate support for your positions ofc someone will call you out did you expect otherwise as long as you have been posting at AVS I would have thought you would know that .

Nobody' making straw man arguments here or changing the narratives (well almost nobody ) we expect things stated as facts to be supported or at least in some way supportable that's not unreasonable !



I read the Rovi links they are all about advertising and guides nothing to do with picture quality ZERO you still have not provided any verifiable arguments that your TV uses Rovi to set or adjust picture quality the fact tour TV waits for something to set auto mode still points to the fact it is more likely looking at frames and any EDID data present before changing anything until you can prove otherwise your credibility is ZERO sorry that's how it goes when you state something as fact here that can not be supported .


Even allowing for a HUGE benefit of doubt here as I was so kind to do earlier on and imagine the TV did something with metadata other than a channel guide or something like that even after some study the fact it won't invoke Auto Mode until it see's some Rovi data (maybe it could just as well be looking at frames also and waiting for that) it is still rather incomprehensible (again ) after some reasearch to think that has anything to do with picture quality but at best is just for a channel guide or on screen channel and show title display banner .


If you are going to continue to hijack this tread at least stick your original argument don't change the narrative like c net calibrations and other posts in other threads unless it supports your argument and do provide some verifiable support of your positions (it's called free discussion ) do your research see if you can find a use patent or something .

I did some of your homework already early on and could find nothing to support any of your positions although I tried to be more than fair until the nonsense you've been posting compounded and further made it apparent that whatever you think you know has thus far has not supported any of your positions or contributed anything useful to the discussion .

TBH and I hate to have to be the one say this ... but quite frankly there are more than a few of us here probably about ready to push the ignore palmer button the fact that you can not see that by now perhaps points to some clinically diagnosable issues . ....I really hate to be the one to tell you this also and I'm only trying to be helpful but .........FWIW If it were me I would maybe see someone about that just saying.



You are babbling a bit again. You can't distinguish what the Cnet calibration did as compared with letting the TV do what it does.



1. Cnet chose a one size fits all calibration. They set the mode to custom, inputs to "all" with the unintentional result of seemingly random changes to different scene modes.

I do not use the "all" setting for inputs, I use "this" input setting. The difference is major. When you use the "this" input, the specific changes you make are limited to the the scene mode that you are in.

Here are some of the options that are available in each scene mode. Cnet does not use any scene mode, they use custom. No options is standard for custom, and Cnet only chose the optional LED Dynamic Control in their calibration routine. By using the custom mode and setting it to "all" they screw up the other scene mode settings without knowing that they were doing so.

I tried the Cnet method. It screwed up my scene mode setting so bad I had no clue on what was normal, so I had to do a complete reset back to factory (6 resets per scene mode).

It is still my opinion that the Cinema mode is the proper mode to calibrate to.

"Cinema - For film-based content. Suitable in a theater-like environment."


Some detail here:

http://docs.esupport.sony.com/imanua...e_2b15_uc.html



2. This will be the last time I say this. As far as scene select is concerned, Sony does use the Rovi TVGOS data to select the scene mode. I did turn Rovi off and let the Rovi program data base that was downloaded into the TV expire. I then used the broadcast data stream for program information. Auto select scene mode does not work because the Sony TV does not know what genre tag the program should have. That is what Rovi does - they tag each TV program in their metadata downloads. Wrong Rovi tag, then auto select will select the wrong scene mode. No Rovi tag, then the default mode is used (AKA no scene mode is selected).

Does the Rovi Guide work on off air broadcasts? Not as of Aprtil 2013 when the Rovi data insertion equipment was removed from the ATSC broadcast systems.

Does the Rovi guide work on cable? Not via the HDMI connection in a cable box, and maybe not at all even with a direct connection from the cable company to the TV depending on the cable company.

How does the Rovi Guide get it's metadata these days? Via an internet connection.

If Rovi ever stops providing their metadata to the internet, will the Sony auto scene select work? No!

No matter what you "professionals" say about the entire matter, that is just the way it is!


Limited information here:

http://docs.esupport.sony.com/imanua...emstar_uc.html


Note the last line - Auto

http://docs.esupport.sony.com/imanua...ct_uc_col.html
J_Palmer_Cass is offline  
post #247 of 313 Old 07-01-2014, 08:25 AM
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 5,008
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Palmer I think you are reading things into the links you provided that simply do not exist yes the ROVI thing is metadata and it may indeed provide genra info . in addition to programming and possibly device timer flags .


Palmer ,Palmer if nothing else you are persistent.......... but to no avail it seems.

What I see here is you clearly are not comprehending for some reason
that your TV by Sonys own admission in the link you just provided from Sony
clearly states to wit :

Auto
Automatically optimizes picture and sound quality according to the input source.


No where does it say anywhere that it optimizes the picture or sound from Rovi meta data any other broadcast data or a data fairy or the tooth fairy for that matter .

I think the worst thing that could happen if Rovi went down would be a loss of the program guide but that can be ported over to PSN with out to much difficulty and sourced from any number of aggregators but Sony might sell off the TV owned subsidiary so you never know

Let me help you out here once again your TV is probably using embedded algorithms assigned to an input source as defined by an EDID data exchange more commonly known as an "HDMI Handshake "and may also be looking at some frames and maybe the brightness sensor and using all this information to choose a scene selection and perhaps dynamically adjust some things as well. Now is that so hard to understand ?


Your so called proof that still does not support your argument is the same thing I read
way back in this thread from the Sony marketing specifications for your TV.
I pointed that out to you then you must have forgotten that also .

Are you having memory difficulties or lapses that's something to be
concerned about along with reading comprehension difficulty ....now you are beginning to worry me ...you have Obamacare or Medicare,Blue Cross or something like that ?

I think you may need to be looked at just to make sure you are all right or all there know what I mean ?

You have failed to prove or even bolster your argument sorry .

I don't know what else I can say Think about what I said about getting a check up .

Since you don't believe in TV calibrations or calibrators and repeatedly say disparaging things about the subject discussing c nets or anyone elses calibration methods or results discussing this with you with you would clearly be a waste of time for me.

There is a calibration thread here you might try if you want or didn't you remember ..............see.that's what I'm talking about !

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-01-2014 at 09:24 AM.
tubetwister is offline  
post #248 of 313 Old 07-01-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
David Susilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Markham, Canada
Posts: 10,205
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 656
Just got the following from Sony Canada oroduct trainer:

Auto scene mode detects the scene from scene analysis
Cinema mode is detected either using EDID and/or 24fps FLAG (EVERYBODY told you so)

NO METADATA IS BEING USED AT ALL. (EVERYBODY told you so)

Hmmm...ready to raise the white "metadata"?

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo
ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED & WifiHifi Magazines
my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre
David Susilo is offline  
post #249 of 313 Old 07-01-2014, 09:43 AM
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 5,008
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Tube twister wrote ,
Way to go David excellent we tried to tell him !

Palmer wrote
I had no clue on what was normal

re/tubetwister
It would seem then that we can safely assume and I'm sure many others would agree this is quite true .

Palmer how does it feel to be OWNED

Palmer ......... I have another question , is this the guy you were talking about in one of my posts in another thread you were trying to disparage in this thread . (That's pretty low BTW.)

What was it you said ? "You don't know how to calibrate" or something like that and some other rather disparaging stuff ... because you read that C nets dark room cal. did not agree with what I suggested for a daytime brightness setting . It had to be this poster ? Oh I follow up on all my recommendations to make sure everything is good for the folks so not to worry . Here was his reply ,

Quote:
Very useful post, thanks a lot tubetwister. I will be doing a lot more experimentation. I am not able to find Eco settings on my set W600B.
link

EDIT informed poster where his eco settings were and linked him to online owners manual @ sony support

Palmer just one more question How does it feel to be OWNED again ?

PS you can go home now I think you've been owned enough for one day besides some else here might want discuss something useful !
David Susilo likes this.

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-02-2014 at 03:34 AM.
tubetwister is offline  
post #250 of 313 Old 07-01-2014, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
J_Palmer_Cass's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post
Just got the following from Sony Canada oroduct trainer:

Auto scene mode detects the scene from scene analysis
Cinema mode is detected either using EDID and/or 24fps FLAG (EVERYBODY told you so)

NO METADATA IS BEING USED AT ALL. (EVERYBODY told you so)

Hmmm...ready to raise the white "metadata"?

You are probably talking about apples and oranges, or the Sony trainer needs product training. Define "scene analysis" as used by the Sony product trainer. You mean the TV looks at the Rovi tag (if available)? What happens when you watch an off air movie that has no Rovi tag? What type of analysis is performed by the TV?

I repeat, the auto scene selection does not work on the 55NX720 unless Rovi is activated and has current and accurate data.

Auto scene selection also does not work if you use a cable box. What "scene analysis" is performed when you watch let's say a movie on cable? Does the auto scene select work? The answer is no, because there is no scene analysis.

The only flag that I can recall at the moment applies when the TV uses Cinemotion (reverse telecine) in any scene mode. Whenever a DVD or Bluray is played, Cinemotion is activated whether you want it to be activated or not regardless of the specific scene mode that you select or the original settings for Cinemotion in any scene mode.

Yes, my bluray player is set to upscale a DVD to 1080 24 P or 1080 60 P while connected to the TV via HDMI. Yes, you can turn Cinemotion off after a DVD is started. The next time you play a DVD, Cinemotion is activated again. Yes, that is a true flag. You have to take action to override that Cinemotion flag every time you play a DVD (be it 24P or 60P).

EDID applies to external monitors connected to a PC and the like. That is only applicable if I connect a PC to the TV set via the PC input and use the PC as a monitor. To tell you the truth, I never attempted to adjust scene modes when I connected a PC to the PC input, so I don't know what happens except the TV changes the monitor settings in the PC video card to the appropriate settings (60 Hz only is allowed).
J_Palmer_Cass is offline  
post #251 of 313 Old 07-01-2014, 11:38 AM
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 5,008
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Palmer wrote
Quote:
I repeat, the auto scene selection does not work on the 55NX720 unless Rovi is activated and has current and accurate data.
RE tube twistrer

Don't mean nothing even Sony will tell you ! .... get over it !

BOKEN RECORD !

Oh ...............checked on my Boyz in da hood here Brightness settings are fine !


REPEAT BOKEN RECORD !


You been owned 3 times today when ya gonna learn ?

Note to self : I refuse to discuss technology with technologically illiterate people !

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-01-2014 at 11:48 AM.
tubetwister is offline  
post #252 of 313 Old 07-01-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wth718's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 312
JPC so you also know more than the Sony PRODUCT TRAINER? wow.
David Susilo and tubetwister like this.
wth718 is offline  
post #253 of 313 Old 07-01-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
J_Palmer_Cass's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
Tube twister wrote ,
Way to go David excellent we tried to tell him !


Palmer how does it feel to be OWNED

Palmer ......... I have another question , is this the guy you were talking about in one of my posts in another thread you were trying to disparage in this thread . (That's pretty low BTW.)

What was it you said ? "You don't know how to calibrate" or something like that and some other rather disparaging stuff ... because you read that C nets dark room cal. did not agree with what I suggested for a daytime brightness setting . It had to be this poster ? Oh I follow up on all my recommendations to make sure everything is good for the folks so not to worry . Here was his reply ,

link

Palmer just one more question How does it feel to be OWNED again ?

PS you can go home now I think you've been owned enough for one day besides some else here might want discuss something useful !



Not sure where you are coming from now, but you were talking to me.


Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post

J_Palmer_Cass wrote,
The other scene modes did not look good including Cinema-1 (AKA the calibrated mode with most options set to OFF).


tubetwister wrote,
Try upping the brightness ,back light and contrast in
one or more of the cinema modes most of the published calibrations of Sonys have included this . My suggestion would be max contrast and backlight and 50-55 brightness to start
in Cinema mode it makes a remarkable improvement without altering the CMS values .
A +2 gamma setting might not hurt either contrary to what some would say the sets are not
always adjusted correctly in the pre sets .

and


Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post

OTOH I don't have measuring equipment and training either. I can see where a pro calibration could be useful on a lot of sets though most don't have a pre set as good as Sony's Cinema modes . In my case I'm fine (or think I am ☺) but it took some trial and error to be sure .



Did you ever find those W600B ECO settings in that unknown posting? They can be found here:

http://docs.esupport.sony.com/imanua...backlight.html
J_Palmer_Cass is offline  
post #254 of 313 Old 07-01-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
J_Palmer_Cass's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by wth718 View Post
JPC so you also know more than the Sony PRODUCT TRAINER? wow.

The Sony trainer has not posted here. If the representation that DS made is accurate, then Sony has a class action lawsuit coming!
J_Palmer_Cass is offline  
post #255 of 313 Old 07-01-2014, 12:15 PM
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 5,008
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Note to self : I will not discuss technology with technologically illiterate ,obstinate and stubborn people !
CinemaAndy likes this.
tubetwister is offline  
post #256 of 313 Old 07-01-2014, 12:21 PM
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 5,008
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by wth718 View Post
JPC so you also know more than the Sony PRODUCT TRAINER? wow.
Owned again !

A lawyer perhaps also you think ........ no way ? You think someone should tell palmer class action suits require numerosity and merit (lots and lots of of plaintiffs) within a 5 yr period not an easy thing to do with a television that otherwise work fine .
David Susilo likes this.

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-01-2014 at 12:27 PM.
tubetwister is offline  
post #257 of 313 Old 07-01-2014, 12:22 PM
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 5,008
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 623
removed
tubetwister is offline  
post #258 of 313 Old 07-01-2014, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wth718's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
Owned again !

A lawyer perhaps also you think ........ no way ? You think someone should tell palmer class action suits require numerosity and merit (lots and lots of of plaintiffs) within a 5 yr period not an easy thing to do with a television that otherwise work fine .
Also didn't realize that a throwaway feature that works, but not in the way JPC expects it to would provide enough injury to so many owners. But what do I know?
tubetwister likes this.
wth718 is offline  
post #259 of 313 Old 07-01-2014, 01:04 PM
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 5,008
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by wth718 View Post
Also didn't realize that a throwaway feature that works, but not in the way JPC expects it to would provide enough injury to so many owners. But what do I know?
re tubetwister
Never thought of that that'a good argument ! hopefully we can get done with this nonsense and get back to regular

I just have to keep repeating my new mantra and note to self maybe this lunacy will stop how many times does somebody have to get owned around here before they leave the room ?


It was EXCEPTIONALLY good that Sony validated our position though
Shout out to David Susilo for getting with his people at Sony !
David Susilo likes this.

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-01-2014 at 01:12 PM. Reason: good that Sony
tubetwister is offline  
post #260 of 313 Old 07-01-2014, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
David Susilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Markham, Canada
Posts: 10,205
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 656
Wow, the level of stubbornness is overwhelming. Even when the Sony trainer said that it is based on scene analysis and not metadata, STILL you don't believe it.

You know, the scene analysis on pocket digital cameras? Where the camera ANALYZE THE SCENE it's about to take and apply what the camera "thinks" as the most appropriate aperture, flash intensity, ISO settings, shutter speed etc? Yeah, that thing. Or do you now think there is metadata floating around in the ether that tells the camera which automatic scene mode it needs to choose?
tubetwister likes this.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo
ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED & WifiHifi Magazines
my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

Last edited by David Susilo; 07-01-2014 at 03:28 PM. Reason: psellign eroorr ;)
David Susilo is offline  
post #261 of 313 Old 07-01-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
smurraybhm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Down South
Posts: 4,643
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked: 3147
Wow! I hate I've been missing this, reading about Atmos all weekend. Here I thought everyone was still talking about Mark's revolutionary picture enhancement called cardboard and tape. I'm just super excited to know that my new friend metadata is controlling my Sony tv. For some reason I still like the picture of my calibrated VT60 better though. Oh yea, the meta controller is broken.

This is a priceless AVS exchange - textbook - you guys are way too patient with this member and this is one needs to be shutdown.

Just my 2 cents that I borrowed from M Code.
smurraybhm is offline  
post #262 of 313 Old 07-01-2014, 03:05 PM
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 5,008
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
Wow! I hate I've been missing this, reading about Atmos all weekend. Here I thought everyone was still talking about Mark's revolutionary picture enhancement called cardboard and tape. I'm just super excited to know that my new friend metadata is controlling my Sony tv. For some reason I still like the picture of my calibrated VT60 better though. Oh yea, the meta controller is broken.

This is a priceless AVS exchange - textbook - you guys are way too patient with this member and this is one needs to be shutdown.

Just my 2 cents that I borrowed from M Code.
Hilarious
tubetwister is offline  
post #263 of 313 Old 07-01-2014, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
CinemaAndy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 966
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 718 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Are you people serious? The walkman was the only thing Sony did right.
tubetwister likes this.
CinemaAndy is offline  
post #264 of 313 Old 07-01-2014, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
J_Palmer_Cass's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
re tubetwister
Never thought of that that'a good argument ! hopefully we can get done with this nonsense and get back to regular

I just have to keep repeating my new mantra and note to self maybe this lunacy will stop how many times does somebody have to get owned around here before they leave the room ?


It was EXCEPTIONALLY good that Sony validated our position though
Shout out to David Susilo for getting with his people at Sony !



Can you verify that your Sony TV will select scene modes properly when scene mode is set to auto? Pretty easy to do. Watch off air or cable TV content. You know what is a movie, what is a music video, a tv series, a live sports program, etc. Does your Sony TV auto scene select select the correct scene mode if you set the scene mode to auto?

What is the Sony model number?
J_Palmer_Cass is offline  
post #265 of 313 Old 07-01-2014, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
J_Palmer_Cass's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post
Wow, the level of stubbornness is overwhelming. Even when the Sony trainer said that it is based on scene analysis and not metadata, STILL you don't believe it.

You know, the scene analysis on pocket digital cameras? Where the camera ANALYZE THE SCENE it's about to take and apply what the camera "thinks" as the most appropriate aperture, flash intensity, ISO settings, shutter speed etc? Yeah, that thing. Or do you now think there is metadata floating around in the ether that tells the camera which automatic scene mode it needs to choose?


Does your pocket camera tell you you took a picture of sports scene or a movie star or a music concert? I did not think so!
J_Palmer_Cass is offline  
post #266 of 313 Old 07-01-2014, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
David Susilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Markham, Canada
Posts: 10,205
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 656
None of the Sony TV (or any brand of digital camera) can detect the scenes 100% accurately 100% of the time because it is analyzing the scene and sometimes the algorithm got confused.

For example, the sample you gave before, one show is detected as "general" and the other as "cinema" although they are both are supposed to be "cinema" as they were both shot on film at 24fps and originally shown in the theatres and never intended to be for TV viewing.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo
ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED & WifiHifi Magazines
my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre
David Susilo is offline  
post #267 of 313 Old 07-01-2014, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
David Susilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Markham, Canada
Posts: 10,205
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post
Does your pocket camera tell you you took a picture of sports scene or a movie star or a music concert? I did not think so!
Actually detecting sports, landscape, food, portrait (facial close up), animal, snow, beach, concerts (any camera manufacturer call it "party"), they are close to 100% accuracy.
tubetwister likes this.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo
ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED & WifiHifi Magazines
my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre
David Susilo is offline  
post #268 of 313 Old 07-01-2014, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
David Susilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Markham, Canada
Posts: 10,205
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 656
PS: I have a Canon, Sony and Panasonic cameras with auto-scene mode and they are all about as accurate (in detecting the scene) as another.

My preference, just like using a professionally calibrated settings, I of course use my dSLR.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo
ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED & WifiHifi Magazines
my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre
David Susilo is offline  
post #269 of 313 Old 07-01-2014, 06:43 PM
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 5,008
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 623
David Susilo wrote
None of the Sony TV (or any brand of digital camera) can detect the scenes 100% accurately 100% of the time because it is analyzing the scene and sometimes the algorithm got confused.

re/ tubetwyster
algorithms ain't the only things confused around here ............know what I mean ☺
David Susilo likes this.
tubetwister is offline  
post #270 of 313 Old 07-01-2014, 06:48 PM
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 5,008
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post
Can you verify that your Sony TV will select scene modes properly when scene mode is set to auto? Pretty easy to do. Watch off air or cable TV content. You know what is a movie, what is a music video, a tv series, a live sports program, etc. Does your Sony TV auto scene select select the correct scene mode if you set the scene mode to auto?

What is the Sony model number?
NO TBH I' m watching Megan Kelly and Brit Hume hate on Bill Ayers and his buddy Obama on the Fox network that is far more entertaining than discussing picture control fairy nonsense with fools !

My Sony is a black rectangular 2013 model I forget which one ....no resident picture fairies in there though
picture sucks on automatic I never use it myself .

After a while I'm going to stream a Netflix super HD movie to my real TV ..............the Sammie Plasma


I will probably be busy as far as you are concerned for the next 100 years or so ............know what I mean
David Susilo likes this.

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-01-2014 at 07:03 PM.
tubetwister is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
frontpage

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off