"Official" Sony XBR-79X900B Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

post #91 of 170 Old 09-05-2015, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 18
So I just took arrival of this TV and so far I am very pleased. Like another poster, I got rid of an older Mistubishi Diamond 57" which I absolutely enjoyed. So far I am just watching out of the box and its pretty awesome. I do have a question though with netflix and using an AVR. Since I have just the one HDMI running out of the TV to the AVR for stereo how can I listen to Netflix when it won't have its own input function with the AVR? Or am I missing something within the AVR possibly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 170 Old 09-05-2015, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashman03 View Post
So I just took arrival of this TV and so far I am very pleased. Like another poster, I got rid of an older Mistubishi Diamond 57" which I absolutely enjoyed. So far I am just watching out of the box and its pretty awesome. I do have a question though with netflix and using an AVR. Since I have just the one HDMI running out of the TV to the AVR for stereo how can I listen to Netflix when it won't have its own input function with the AVR? Or am I missing something within the AVR possibly?
Make sure you have the HDMI plugged into the ARC HDMI port 1 on the TV and the ARC port on your AVR..

Also try the "Sync Menu" button on the remote, you can change from internal to exteral speakers and visa versa.
flashman03 likes this.
post #93 of 170 Old 09-07-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbones View Post
Make sure you have the HDMI plugged into the ARC HDMI port 1 on the TV and the ARC port on your AVR..

Also try the "Sync Menu" button on the remote, you can change from internal to exteral speakers and visa versa.

Edit: So reading the user manual is necessary. Turns out the ARC feature isn't automatically enabled on the receiver. So now that I read the manual I a good to go.

Last edited by flashman03; 09-07-2015 at 08:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 170 Old 09-08-2015, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
On the fence with buying this. BB has it for $3999 in store purchase only. It is a 2104 model, I was considering the LG79UH7700. Is the Sony 900B that much better than the LG79UF7700.
post #95 of 170 Old 09-21-2015, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by paesan View Post
On the fence with buying this. BB has it for $3999 in store purchase only. It is a 2104 model, I was considering the LG79UH7700. Is the Sony 900B that much better than the LG79UF7700.
Hope you bought it last week. The price is now $5999
post #96 of 170 Old 09-22-2015, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am concerned that I have some clouding and light bleed, but at the same time, I understand that this is not an OLED or plasma or even an x940c. What is the best way to determine this?

Full screen, normal video it isn't an issue. Letterboxed movies, I definitely see more brightness in the upper right corner, and it does extend into dark scenes of movies. It also seems more prominent when I am sitting furthest from the corner (far left on the couch). In general I am pleased but I am not convinced this is as good as it should be. Is there a good way to take photos, someone to ask, an expert to hire? In the bay area and was planning on having it calibrated as well if you know anyone local who would be good for either/both tasks.

Thanks.
post #97 of 170 Old 09-24-2015, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone? Bueller?
post #98 of 170 Old 09-25-2015, 03:55 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagu View Post
Hope you bought it last week. The price is now $5999
The 79X900B for $3999 was a great price but I did not like the speakers on the side, it made the TV too big and ugly. Other issue for me was being a 2014 model, 4K TVs are still relatively new and each model year seems to bring significant upgrades over the previous year.
post #99 of 170 Old 09-27-2015, 12:38 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 27
The wait for UHD blu-Ray is excruciating.

Lack of 4K content is a real pain at the moment.

So far:
No HDR
No 4K YouTube
No Ultraflix

4K Netflix is extremely lacking. 4K on Amazon is just too expensive too.

By the time UHD Blu-Ray comes out am sure some new features will be banded around.
The price of getting 4K early I guess.
post #100 of 170 Old 09-27-2015, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Ready to pull the trigger, but first... 3D, Speakers and 7.1

Can the built-in speakers be used as the front speakers in a 7.1 surround system?

I have read great things about the sound from the built-in speakers, but unless tech has really changed, those speakers will not put the ricocheting bullets behind or beside me like my 7.1 speakers do. So I want to keep a 7.1 setup. It would be nice to be able to use those built-in speakers as part of my 7.1 system instead of having to hang front and center speakers in addition to having the extra width of the set with speakers. Is this possible?

Also, I am keen on the 3D. My line-of-sight is basically 35 inches (about 89cm). My stand is 28 inches (about 71cm). I will hang the TV even though the stand will remain (to hold my receiver). Will this be sufficient for good 3d or will I likely experience the crosstalk so may warn about? Wife says the stand stays.
post #101 of 170 Old 09-28-2015, 05:19 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsoncleaver View Post
The wait for UHD blu-Ray is excruciating.

Lack of 4K content is a real pain at the moment.

So far:
No HDR
No 4K YouTube
No Ultraflix

4K Netflix is extremely lacking. 4K on Amazon is just too expensive too.

By the time UHD Blu-Ray comes out am sure some new features will be banded around.
The price of getting 4K early I guess.
Yes Sony has taken forever with Ultraflix but it may be available to you via Roku 4 and Amazon Fire 4k in a couple of days. Ultraflix is uploading lots of content and definitely has the best streaming quality.
post #102 of 170 Old 09-29-2015, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cphillips82 View Post
Yes Sony has taken forever with Ultraflix but it may be available to you via Roku 4 and Amazon Fire 4k in a couple of days. Ultraflix is uploading lots of content and definitely has the best streaming quality.
That is an option, however I saw the latest news from a letter to their investors saying release on Sony, Roku and Amazon is soon, so assuming similar release dates
post #103 of 170 Old 09-30-2015, 04:46 PM

So with Amazon Prime how do you get the content to show 4K? I'm watching Orphan Black and it says it's streaming in 1080p HD? Just curious if this is normal and it is still streaming 4K or not.

Sent from my iPhone 6 plus.
post #104 of 170 Old 10-03-2015, 05:45 PM

I checked it and it seems Amazon Orphan Black is 4k to me, but what said it was streaming 1080p? When I hit info from within an app I get nothing.

I see they have Plex in the app library, which is great. But how the heck do you get rid of that soap opera affect? Disabling motioncontrol does nothing.
post #105 of 170 Old 10-04-2015, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
okay, I just bought one at my local Best Buy. it was a demo model and I got it for $3200 with 36 month 0% financing. I have seen the concerns about being a 2014 model so I hope that I did the right thing. I could have gotten the new Vizio 75 4K for about the same price but I thought that this Sony was a better option.
This going over my mantel with just enough room for the attached speakers. Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated.
post #106 of 170 Old 10-04-2015, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogueag View Post
okay, I just bought one at my local Best Buy. it was a demo model and I got it for $3200 with 36 month 0% financing. I have seen the concerns about being a 2014 model so I hope that I did the right thing. I could have gotten the new Vizio 75 4K for about the same price but I thought that this Sony was a better option.
This going over my mantel with just enough room for the attached speakers. Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated.
You'll probably need to tilt the TV down, if your mantel is high. The set looses a lot of color when viewed off angle. Find a mount that allows a variable tilt and you'll have flexibility. You'll probably also find the remote connection box to be useful if it's hard to get access to the rear, once mounted. It has great upscaling and great sound (if you add a sub) with the on-board speakers. Big plus for my wife as she doesn't like a bunch of speakers. Blacks are so-so. Doesn't have capability for HDMI 2.0a, so HDR not an option, but the panel is 8-bit, dithering to 10-bit, so it's not going to do much with HDR anyway. It's going to be good to go for a long time, though not at the cutting edge, because of the HDCP 2.2 making it compatible with the new 4K Blu-ray standard.

JVC RS600 Chad-callibrated, 120" 1.3g in Batcave HT, Denon X8500 Polk LSiM703 fronts,
RTi-12 rears, LSiM 706 center, Monitor 40 Heights, Monitor 60 FW, Emotiva E1 sides,
LSiC CH, Infinity 6" VOG. 4X 12" subs w/mini DSP on sub 1 and nearfield 18" from sub 2.
post #107 of 170 Old 10-05-2015, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99 View Post
You'll probably need to tilt the TV down, if your mantel is high. The set looses a lot of color when viewed off angle. Find a mount that allows a variable tilt and you'll have flexibility. You'll probably also find the remote connection box to be useful if it's hard to get access to the rear, once mounted. It has great upscaling and great sound (if you add a sub) with the on-board speakers. Big plus for my wife as she doesn't like a bunch of speakers. Blacks are so-so. Doesn't have capability for HDMI 2.0a, so HDR not an option, but the panel is 8-bit, dithering to 10-bit, so it's not going to do much with HDR anyway. It's going to be good to go for a long time, though not at the cutting edge, because of the HDCP 2.2 making it compatible with the new 4K Blu-ray standard.
Great information. The need for a variable tilt will be done. Since this is a demo, I don't know if the remote connection box is coming. I am supposed to have it delivered today. I have been looking at the Sony wireless sub. Hard to find but I am sure it may be useful. Thanks again for providing me these thoughts/suggestions.
post #108 of 170 Old 10-05-2015, 06:46 AM

Quote:

Great information. The need for a variable tilt will be done. Since this is a demo, I don't know if the remote connection box is coming. I am supposed to have it delivered today. I have been looking at the Sony wireless sub. Hard to find but I am sure it may be useful. Thanks again for providing me these thoughts/suggestions.
post #109 of 170 Old 10-05-2015, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogueag View Post
A sub is really needed--the onboard sub does not fill out the room. You can use a wired sub, but you need to run the wire from the TV and that might be a problem with the mantel location. If you don't get the breakout box, consider one of the "pull-out" mounts that will let you pull the TV out for access without removing it from the wall. I'm not using my breakout box, so if you don't get one, PM me.

JVC RS600 Chad-callibrated, 120" 1.3g in Batcave HT, Denon X8500 Polk LSiM703 fronts,
RTi-12 rears, LSiM 706 center, Monitor 40 Heights, Monitor 60 FW, Emotiva E1 sides,
LSiC CH, Infinity 6" VOG. 4X 12" subs w/mini DSP on sub 1 and nearfield 18" from sub 2.
post #110 of 170 Old 10-05-2015, 12:19 PM

If you picked up the 79X900B then height offset also has a significant effect on 3D viewing quality. While 3D is the red-headed-stepchild of AVS entertainment, this unit provides what is arguably the best 3D experience out there, as long as the viewing angles are just right.

I just watched "Dial M for Murder" in 3D last night. It is the first time I have seen this film presented as Hitchcock originally envisioned it. Subtle yet spectacular.

Congrats on a GREAT deal.
post #111 of 170 Old 10-06-2015, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just got this TV like a month ago and I'm having issues with the 3d and was wondering of anyone else was experiencing this too. When watching a 3d movie I notice alot of ghosting and it not focusing. Could it be a setting I have on or maybe the viewing angle?
post #112 of 170 Old 10-07-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAxbr79x900b View Post
Could it be a setting I have on or maybe the viewing angle?
Yes and Yes.

What source material are you using?

The blurring is likely crosstalk. What angle are you sitting at? My TV is at about 38 inches at the bottom edge, while my sitting position is slightly low, about 40 inches. I am also about 2 feet to the left and 9 feet out. At this distance and angle I do not have much crosstalk, but enough that I can see a slight improvement if I sit up about center height. I'd imagine it would be worse if the TV was any higher relative to my position.
Ted99 likes this.
post #113 of 170 Old 10-12-2015, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I've just connected my TV to my Onkyo receiver for 5.1 surround sound. All is good except I see 2 volume on-screen display on the screen when adjusting volume. One for the TV volume and one for the receiver, although there in no volume coming out of the TV, it is showing the volume display. Any one know how to turn this off? I wonder if anyone with the AVR audio out is experiencing this. I do have my HDMI out from receiver connected on TV's HDMI 1 port. Thanks.
post #114 of 170 Old 10-12-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
I set up a bias light behind the set. It's a 48" 36w 6500K flourescent single tobe (all at Home Depot). Drilled 2 holes 400mm apart in the case and attached it to the back of the set using the 2 upper stand offs in the wall mount holes. Picture below.

Tried a standard 480p DVD last night. Really superior picture to what my 1080P set did with the upscaling. Close to an HD picture
Hi Ted99, wished I saw this pic earlier. I saw that you went ahead and used the wall-mount attachment screws. I find the extra gap makes the TV further from my wall mount and the extra length and weight of TV made me not use it. My installer used a different screws (same size length/dia) on mine but my wall mount does have tilt to compensate for it to adjust flat against the wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010080.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	990953   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150926_221817.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	990961  
post #115 of 170 Old 10-12-2015, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexb610 View Post
I've just connected my TV to my Onkyo receiver for 5.1 surround sound. All is good except I see 2 volume on-screen display on the screen when adjusting volume. One for the TV volume and one for the receiver, although there in no volume coming out of the TV, it is showing the volume display. Any one know how to turn this off? I wonder if anyone with the AVR audio out is experiencing this. I do have my HDMI out from receiver connected on TV's HDMI 1 port. Thanks.
In the menu under audio, I think you will be able to tell the TV that you are using external audio. That may turn off the TV volume bar. I'm using the TV's audio because it's in the wife's room (mine is in the "man cave") and she wants a very clean exterior, including no speaker boxes. It's the primary reason why we have the XBR 79 Sony. It has the best sound with internal speakers of any other TV, particularly if you have an external sub. It's a Sony wired sub that exactly matches the cabinet on which the TV sits.

The disadvantage of a tilting and extendable wall mount is that it projects farther from the wall than a flat mount, but it sure makes it easier to reach the rear. I'm using the mounting screws for the light, as I'm sitting on a low cabinet (hacked Ikea furniture).

post #116 of 170 Old 10-17-2015, 05:42 PM

Comparable Speakers?

So I am definitely impressed with the internal speakers but I still want my surround sound. I've been using an old Sony SA-VE230 setup with 2-extra speakers to bring it to 7.1 but now that I've heard these (79X900B) I cannot go back.

Is there a 5.1, 7.1, or 7.2 box set that has similar quality as the internals? I'm not looking for better, but something close.
post #117 of 170 Old 10-18-2015, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomer View Post
So I am definitely impressed with the internal speakers but I still want my surround sound. I've been using an old Sony SA-VE230 setup with 2-extra speakers to bring it to 7.1 but now that I've heard these (79X900B) I cannot go back.

Is there a 5.1, 7.1, or 7.2 box set that has similar quality as the internals? I'm not looking for better, but something close.
No help from me on this.

post #118 of 170 Old 10-19-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
In the menu under audio, I think you will be able to tell the TV that you are using external audio. That may turn off the TV volume bar. I'm using the TV's audio because it's in the wife's room (mine is in the "man cave") and she wants a very clean exterior, including no speaker boxes. It's the primary reason why we have the XBR 79 Sony. It has the best sound with internal speakers of any other TV, particularly if you have an external sub. It's a Sony wired sub that exactly matches the cabinet on which the TV sits.

The disadvantage of a tilting and extendable wall mount is that it projects farther from the wall than a flat mount, but it sure makes it easier to reach the rear. I'm using the mounting screws for the light, as I'm sitting on a low cabinet (hacked Ikea furniture).
Thanks Ted! It was a minor Harmony remote programming on my part, fixed it! I've initially set TV to drive volume but forgot to update settings in the Harmony remote and change to receiver (now that my 5.1 speakers are all wired up), so the TV was driving the volume control of external audio speakers all the while that's why i'm getting dual volume on screen display.

I've wrestled with the idea of full motion mount to a fixed or tilting one. I have an eat-in kitchen to the left of the family room and wanted to have the flexibility to have the TV face towards it later on. It does protrude a little bit but my friends who came over last weekend were not able to tell the TV was even on a full-motion mount. I'm still not used to moving such a massive piece of electronics forward and back but it's all good.
post #119 of 170 Old 10-19-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomer View Post

I agree, the speaker system on this Sony 79X900B is awesome! Dialogues/vocals and volume on this is pretty good. I've cycled watching movie/listening to music with my 5.1 system and it's pretty good. If you don't have anything to compare it to and this is your only speaker in the room the TV/speaker set-up will be quite surprisingly good enough. But same as you, i'd still prefer to hear my 5.1 surrounds.

Doomer, were you planning to re-use your old Sony set-up for this? Or you're looking for a new 5.1/7.1 set-up? If so what's your budget? I got an Onkyo 525 receiver last year's Blackfriday for $150! Although it's only 5.1 it was a no brainer for the price and it replace my dying legendary Onkyo 606 (now relegated to Zone 2 of my Onkyo 525 to do whole house surround amplifier duties). I'm guessing there will be a sales on similar if not much better receiver sub $200 price range this coming BF sales as well. Pair that up with Energy Take 5 classics (I've seen it sold on sale for $199 i think) or just get the Monoprice 5.1 speaker system. I'm thinking that's the cheapest you can get for a sort of 'separates' audio surround system. I would say that would be about equal or better than the built in speakers of the 79X900B.
post #120 of 170 Old 10-19-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexb610 View Post
Doomer, were you planning to re-use your old Sony set-up for this? Or you're looking for a new 5.1/7.1 set-up? If so what's your budget?
Thanks for the response. I am looking to replace the old Sony mini speaker setup mentioned above. They've served me well, but I am ready for something new and under $500. I also picked up an STR-DN860 but for now it's just an expensive HDMI switch until I can get better speakers. I know a lot of folks here spend as much or more on speakers than I did on the new TV, but that is out of my range. I like your suggestions and will be looking in to those. Cheers!

Last edited by Doomer; 10-19-2015 at 04:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page