Vizio R Series Speculation and Release Date - Page 23 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1118Likes

post #661 of 2656 Old 04-15-2015, 06:44 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2589 Post(s)
Liked: 2312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
So, let me get this straight, as has been the case since day one, the Vizio R series remains vaporware. No release dates, no firm pricing, no nothing other than more speculation and chitter chatter.
Viper32 and timc1475 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 2656 Old 04-15-2015, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 207
http://hdguru.com/vizio-launches-m-s...-dolby-vision/

Quote:
Additionally, the 120-inch model will be sold only for wall mounting. The set, which weighs 365 pounds, will ship with an included wall-mount bracket.

The 65-inch Reference Series model will ship with a tabletop stand and a specially developed wall mount.
post #663 of 2656 Old 04-15-2015, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Nearly every press release or preview that has been posted here talks about the R series as having a wider color gamut, saying something like "closer to what the eye can actually see", but nowhere do they actually state what that color gamut actually is. IIRC, the old Vizio R-series website stated something like 80 or 90%of P3-DCI color, but now that statement is nowhere to be found.

The announcer in the cnet video above does state something about "approaching the wider gamut of P3-DCI", but that could mean anything from just above Rec.709 to just below actual P3-DCI. I am concerned that the color gamut has been downgraded from the original promise made in the earlier Vizio website.

It is clear that display color gamuts will get wider and wider in the very near future, so i am hoping this set isn't nearly outdated out of the box....

EDIT:
Adding this from HDGURU website
The company also isn’t saying exactly what technology it will use to produce a wider color gamut in the forthcoming Reference Series, other than to say that “quantum dot technology has gotten a strong marketing push, but right now the way the technology is packaged and the development that has gone on so far is very similar to the RG phosphor [with blue LED backlight] in the LEDs we are using for color performance and it is a lot more expensive,” said Hwang. “We feel the right time to launch quantum dot is when the performance gets better, so we are currently developing that right now and that will be launched in future product, and that’s when you are going to start seeing color capabilities and color gamut being a lot more than what they are.”
paranoyd androyd likes this.

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
In other words, if you order coffee, expect it to be hot for christsake!

Last edited by CSonntag; 04-15-2015 at 07:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #664 of 2656 Old 04-15-2015, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked: 788
Ok from the hdguru webpage

"Like other series in the Vizio line, the Reference models feature a full-array backlighting system, but with the most LED lighting zones (384) of all the lines. When available the Reference Series will include 65- and 120-inch models (pricing has not been disclosed). Vizio wasn’t prepared to discuss retail distribution plans for the new high-end TV line, but a company representative said the advanced nature of the technology makes it an unlikely initial fit for the brand’s traditional class of mass merchant retail partners, like Walmart, Target and warehouse clubs.

Traditionally, Vizio has stayed clear of smaller retailers, like specialty electronics stores that typically have the ideal sales support to launch advanced new product technologies like HDR and wide color gamut, so it will be interesting to see how the company takes the Reference line to market. Additionally, the 120-inch model will be sold only for wall mounting. The set, which weighs 365 pounds, will ship with an included wall-mount bracket."

So it seems like Walmart won't be selling the R series initially
post #665 of 2656 Old 04-15-2015, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert9674 View Post

"Like other series in the Vizio line, the Reference models feature a full-array backlighting system, but with the most LED lighting zones (384) of all the lines. When available the Reference Series will include 65- and 120-inch models (pricing has not been disclosed). Vizio wasn’t prepared to discuss retail distribution plans for the new high-end TV line, but a company representative said the advanced nature of the technology makes it an unlikely initial fit for the brand’s traditional class of mass merchant retail partners, like Walmart, Target and warehouse clubs.

Traditionally, Vizio has stayed clear of smaller retailers, like specialty electronics stores that typically have the ideal sales support to launch advanced new product technologies like HDR and wide color gamut, so it will be interesting to see how the company takes the Reference line to market. Additionally, the 120-inch model will be sold only for wall mounting. The set, which weighs 365 pounds, will ship with an included wall-mount bracket."

10 feet that is 7 studs.That's like mounting a Refrigerator
on the wall at 365 pounds.
post #666 of 2656 Old 04-15-2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB49 View Post
10 feet that is 7 studs.That's like mounting a Refrigerator
on the wall at 365 pounds.
Why bother with the wall at that point? Just frame the thing directly into the house to hold the top floor up.

Can't wait to read about the first guy to try putting screws directly into wallboard....
timc1475 and mo949 like this.
post #667 of 2656 Old 04-15-2015, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
Why bother with the wall at that point? Just frame the thing directly into the house to hold the top floor up.

Can't wait to read about the first guy to try putting screws directly into wallboard....
This made me laugh...you KNOW at some point someone will try to mount it to drywall...

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
In other words, if you order coffee, expect it to be hot for christsake!
post #668 of 2656 Old 04-15-2015, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Unlikely. Display in Magnolia has nothing to do with TV quality and everything to do with how much the manufacturer is willing to pay.

Vizio has historically been a cheapskate when it comes to expensive marketing promotions (which is a major reason they cal sell TVs for less than Damsumg and Sony), and I doubt that is going to change now.

If I had to guess, I'd say we have more likelihood of the R65 showing up at Walmart (at least online) than the magnolia room (especially because of the Walmart/Vudu link ).
I definitely agree Walmart will sell them online whether from there website or a link to it from another retailer.

If bestbuy carries it that will be a good sign that the R series isn't limit quantity production. I just can't imagine vizio wanting the R up on the wall to drown in the sea lcd tvs playing the standard bestbuy demo loop. I would atleast hope it could find an end cap that can display what this tv has to offer. Sales floor location would be problematic to see how well fald design works since its the highest number of zones since the sharp elite.
post #669 of 2656 Old 04-15-2015, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2104 Post(s)
Liked: 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason626 View Post
I definitely agree Walmart will sell them online whether from there website or a link to it from another retailer.

If bestbuy carries it that will be a good sign that the R series isn't limit quantity production. I just can't imagine vizio wanting the R up on the wall to drown in the sea lcd tvs playing the standard bestbuy demo loop. I would atleast hope it could find an end cap that can display what this tv has to offer. Sales floor location would be problematic to see how well fald design works since its the highest number of zones since the sharp elite.
Best Buy sells Vizio by me. I am positive they will sell the Vizio R as well. I could even see the R65 or eventually the R75 making it to Costco. Don't think they would every be in a standard Wal Mart.
post #670 of 2656 Old 04-15-2015, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSonntag View Post
This made me laugh...you KNOW at some point someone will try to mount it to drywall...
It's fine guys, it's 5/8ths drywall.
post #671 of 2656 Old 04-15-2015, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 1998
Quote:

Good point. It seems like it would fit in better in dedicated theaters, although how you'd get it to the room without taking down walls is beyond me.

If I ever get to a dedicated theater, I'll use the handy dandy large OLED screens that you can roll up

They should be available by then
post #672 of 2656 Old 04-15-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
Good point. It seems like it would fit in better in dedicated theaters, although how you'd get it to the room without taking down walls is beyond me.

If I ever get to a dedicated theater, I'll use the handy dandy large OLED screens that you can roll up
I did a rough calculation a couple years ago, that the average 7 foot doorway can fit something like a 171" screen on angle. So most places will likely get it into a family room. It's the folks trying to get the thing up the stairs and around the corner that will fail.

Yes, TVs in 15 years are likely going to look nothing like today's.
post #673 of 2656 Old 04-15-2015, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Does anyone have any product recommendation on the ideal back-lighting to deploy on an R65 running HDR? One of the concerns cited here repeatedly is the potential for scorching discomfort in a dark room condition. Would adding backlighting help alleviate this concern? Is backlighting beneficial, even if not necessary, with respect to appreciating the improved color depth? I was thinking a CIE D65 (6500K) bias lighting from the rear of the display, similar to what is used by the mastering studios but I wasn't sure if there were already good products used in the AV community.

On a separate note, does anyone have any clever schemes for a clever cable management strategy that utilizes all of the outputs of the R65. If the system comes stocked with integrated 5.1 I plan on abandoning my receiver which means many more HDMI cables from the devices directly to the monitor rather than a dedicated receiver for switching. A wall mount would have many hydra tenticles spewing out (A/V, power, CAT5) causing cable management to become a big concern for me. Thoughts?
post #674 of 2656 Old 04-15-2015, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4771
Quote:
Regardless if it's in the magnolia store best buy will be selling these Tvs . They do sell the p series so they will def sell the R
Absolutely - I was specifically commenting on Magnolia

P.s. Now if the R65 is the hottest thing since sliced bread and Magnolia wants to put it on display without charging Vizio the usual display fees, that would be a different story
post #675 of 2656 Old 04-15-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:

More importantly, it seems as though Value Electronics and Cleveland Plasma might .

Chris, Robert, are you listening? It might be a good to reach out to Vizio - it sounds like they could use some help selling Flagship TVs...
post #676 of 2656 Old 04-15-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Nearly every press release or preview that has been posted here talks about the R series as having a wider color gamut, saying something like "closer to what the eye can actually see", but nowhere do they actually state what that color gamut actually is. IIRC, the old Vizio R-series website stated something like 80 or 90%of P3-DCI color, but now that statement is nowhere to be found.

The announcer in the cnet video above does state something about "approaching the wider gamut of P3-DCI", but that could mean anything from just above Rec.709 to just below actual P3-DCI. I am concerned that the color gamut has been downgraded from the original promise made in the earlier Vizio website.

It is clear that display color gamuts will get wider and wider in the very near future, so i am hoping this set isn't nearly outdated out of the box....

EDIT:
Adding this from HDGURU website
The company also isn’t saying exactly what technology it will use to produce a wider color gamut in the forthcoming Reference Series, other than to say that “quantum dot technology has gotten a strong marketing push, but right now the way the technology is packaged and the development that has gone on so far is very similar to the RG phosphor [with blue LED backlight] in the LEDs we are using for color performance and it is a lot more expensive,” said Hwang. “We feel the right time to launch quantum dot is when the performance gets better, so we are currently developing that right now and that will be launched in future product, and that’s when you are going to start seeing color capabilities and color gamut being a lot more than what they are.”
Somewhere it states 100% DCI-P3 (70% Rec.2020).
post #677 of 2656 Old 04-15-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason626 View Post

The R65 will be in Best Buy and widely available.

The only place you are likely to see an R120 is in a specialty retailer like Value Electronics (if Robert and Vizio reach an agreement ) - the R120 will be a direct /custom order product only...
post #678 of 2656 Old 04-15-2015, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Somewhere it states 100% DCI-P3 (70% Rec.2020).
Thats interesting, so the JS9500 is ~94% DCI P3 and ~ 90% rec 2020 from what I remember, I thought the r series would have been closer to that figure
post #679 of 2656 Old 04-15-2015, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by remush View Post
Thats interesting, so the JS9500 is ~94% DCI P3 and ~ 90% rec 2020 from what I remember, I thought the r series would have been closer to that figure
If the JS9500 is 94% of DCI P3, then it can't be 90% rec.2020, since the DCI P3 is a subset of the rec.2020.

Here's the comparison - the purple triangle is rec.2020, violet is DCI P3, orange is the current 709.

Even if a display achieves rec.2020, we're still reproducing only 57.3 of the human visible spectrum.
post #680 of 2656 Old 04-15-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
If the JS9500 is 94% of DCI P3, then it can't be 90% rec.2020, since the DCI P3 is a subset of the rec.2020.

Here's the comparison - the purple triangle is rec.2020, violet is DCI P3, orange is the current 709.

Even if a display achieves rec.2020, we're still reproducing only 57.3 of the human visible spectrum.
AYK, you're looking at only 2 of the 3 dimensions of the CIE chromaticity diagram. I don't know what generated the stats, but the classic "slice" you see is the high saturation one, so they may be talking about the percentage of colors that can be reached, not the percentage of the what's visible to humans.
post #681 of 2656 Old 04-15-2015, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1094 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
AYK, you're looking at only 2 of the 3 dimensions of the CIE chromaticity diagram. I don't know what generated the stats, but the classic "slice" you see is the high saturation one, so they may be talking about the percentage of colors that can be reached, not the percentage of the what's visible to humans.
I thought the 2 dimensions represented were hue (angle from white) and saturation (distance from white), leaving the brightness dimension unrepresented except for the slice seen.

Greg Lee
post #682 of 2656 Old 04-15-2015, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked: 788
@fafrd ..ok seems Disney is on board

"Theater experiences are evolving and Dolby is leading the charge. Dolby Laboratories and The Walt Disney Studios today announced today that Disney’s ‘Tomorrowland’ and the Disney-Pixar film ‘Inside Out’ will be the first Dolby Vision titles to be shown at Dolby Cinema locations around the globe. In addition, Disney’s The Jungle Book, due out April 15, 2016, will also be presented in Dolby Vision, with more titles to be announced."
http://theslanted.com/2015/04/18958/...rs-insid
fafrd likes this.
post #683 of 2656 Old 04-15-2015, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I see people talking about the logistics of getting the 120" around corners or up stairs. This is not a set you will be able to run down to Best Buy and pick up. It is still my understanding that the 120" will be a made to order set. I highly doubt this will cost less than $100,000 and probably closer to $200,000.

Vizio is great at keeping costs down but you can't do that if you don't mass produce. This will be for large convention centers, casinos, and Saudi oil sheiks.
post #684 of 2656 Old 04-15-2015, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog750 View Post
I see people talking about the logistics of getting the 120" around corners or up stairs. This is not a set you will be able to run down to Best Buy and pick up. It is still my understanding that the 120" will be a made to order set. I highly doubt this will cost less than $100,000 and probably closer to $200,000.

Vizio is great at keeping costs down but you can't do that if you don't mass produce. This will be for large convention centers, casinos, and Saudi oil sheiks.
I say the monster 120" TV will sell for 10-15 Grand.. It will be that cheap to such a large TV set.
post #685 of 2656 Old 04-15-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
I thought the 2 dimensions represented were hue (angle from white) and saturation (distance from white), leaving the brightness dimension unrepresented except for the slice seen.
Yeah, that's essentially correct.
post #686 of 2656 Old 04-15-2015, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 7281 Post(s)
Liked: 8052
Quote:
Yeah, but with really large anchor bolts..........................................
post #687 of 2656 Old 04-15-2015, 10:57 PM

Quote:
@fafrd ..ok seems Disney is on board

"Theater experiences are evolving and Dolby is leading the charge. Dolby Laboratories and The Walt Disney Studios today announced today that Disney’s ‘Tomorrowland’ and the Disney-Pixar film ‘Inside Out’ will be the first Dolby Vision titles to be shown at Dolby Cinema locations around the globe. In addition, Disney’s The Jungle Book, due out April 15, 2016, will also be presented in Dolby Vision, with more titles to be announced."
http://theslanted.com/2015/04/18958/...rs-insid
This is pretty big news...

Also, found this article on the competing HDR standards: http://www.cedmagazine.com/articles/...mple-after-all

Last edited by fafrd; 04-16-2015 at 12:15 AM.
post #688 of 2656 Old 04-16-2015, 02:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's actually what the naked human eye can see as described here. The values themselves are calculated as described here.
post #689 of 2656 Old 04-16-2015, 10:09 AM

HDGuru article on Vizio Reference with some good detail on Dolby Vision implementation: http://hdguru.com/vizio-launches-m-s...-dolby-vision/
post #690 of 2656 Old 04-23-2015, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Great summary of the high end TV's and the largest sizes...

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/best-tvs-right-now/

Dear Vizio, if you follow threads like this lets have the 120" details! If we can hit 25k and under then I am a buyer. I know most people on this thread think that is too much but if you have ever had a true home theater then you know that cost is reasonable. Screen + 4k High lumen output projector + wiring + installation + dimming + headache of bulbs&dust&maintance = 25k or more and you may still not have the clarity of an enclosed backlit set. Not to mention annoyingly having to keep the lights dim and keep your kids and drunk friends from walking into the projection field.

Let's do this thing Vizio and bring high end home theater home!

College football Saturday's, Pro Sunday's, Final Fours, Star Wars, LOTR's, and massive Call of Duty sessions await in epically fun proportions on this set!!!
timc1475, Dhalmo and countryWV like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page