***Official 2014 Vizio P Series Owner's Thread - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4643Likes

post #301 of 18017 Old 09-19-2014, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post
We all know about marketing demo's and their intentions. You need to read real pro reviews of 4K TV's and how well they handle up-scaling.

Their is a reason why 2 1080p TV's won the 2014 HD shootout. Because playing the same content the 1080p TV's played the 1080p content better. The 4K TV's did not anything to the 1080p content that made it look superior in any way, not even resolution wise.
Oh - Horse Poohey PooP!

Look, lets not be so damn disingenuous about that shootout, I viewed all of it over the course of two days and they NEVER fed or compared UHD at all - None Nada Zilch!

I call it pandering to the plasma up on the wall and Calibrators that own FOUR Kuro's that cannot compare a UHD with content that it was designed for and being in denial of the present and future - No Damn Calibrators or group of them is going to halt this UHD Train and all the plasma whiners now sitting with tombstone tech are stuck where they chose and come in here an arrogantly spout that there is no difference with UHD content is insane.

Go back and rest in peace in the STATIC Plasma Threads and why do you folks troll the LCD threads incessantly like your here to save us? LCD Won for ALL Global Consumers and beat the ass of all the calibrators on the planet and their opinion mattered NONE, they don't evolve this tech for them - it's in spite of them not due to them - they have their own Engineers after all.

How any of you can sit and view REAL 2160P and say you can't observe a difference I say your BLINDED and in DENIAL. We don't need to be SAVED or held back by plasma tombstones Tech .

Just watch how many plasma fan boys come out of the woodwork as they're so damn bored over their in the Cemetary of sameness 1080P vs 2160 and the FUTURE. The Shootout compared ZERO UHD - how do the Calibrators explain ignoring the reason behind those flagships they chose to ignore other than pandering to what they hold dear and is NOW DEAD.

It gets tiring after ten years to see this arrogant trolling within virtually every new LCD thread endlessly like we're a bunch of dumb aces needing saving which many of us owned and hated Plasma daytime bright room washout, dirty urinated on whites, green trails, fan noise, mirror reflections! Will they ever let it ride without this arrogance that they know better for all of us like D-Nice bragging of FOUR KURO's.

Could you guys just go way for a change! Why can't you folks just let one thread grow without boasting like your Superior or that your apologizing for considering this TV because I guarantee and bet a thousand dollars that if I put your plasma or a Kuro or F8500 in my bright Sunny Room in FL - it would become a useless Piece of whatever expletive you choose as a HT!
rockaway1836 likes this.

Samsung 75HU8550w/SEK-3500-UHDVideoPk, 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Philips Folio Soundbar
XBoxOne/360, FPS's Borderlands 1/2, EDF 2017/2025, Halo's

Last edited by westa6969; 09-19-2014 at 11:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 18017 Old 09-19-2014, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xevious View Post
I am guessing you mean 20/30.
That being said even at 20/30 I still think the 2.5 feet away for a 50 inch display was a little rediculous. I would say more like 3-4 feet for me and that was with non-optimal vision.
No, they said it was better than 20-20 at 30 over 20 - maybe not proper convention but that's what I was told.
For optimum sharpness for a normal pair of 20-20 eyes the sweet spot for a 50" 4K would be a little over 3 feet back. Having said that, it is not practical, as LCD's lose contrast rapidly when viewed off angle. The right and left sides will have reduced contrast and higher black level. This hasn't been discussed much but what it means is that very few people will appreciate all 4K's of resolution as the required seating distance is just too darn close.
It's fun to walk up to these 4K sets and see how tiny the pixels are and how much detail there is, but at some point you're gonna have to go and sit down and watch the set normally and that's the point. If you are like normal people, you will probably sit 7 to 10 feet from your TV and very likely you won't get much, if any, benefit from the added 4K resolution.
Of course, none of this matters to me. I am getting really excited about picking up the 70" P set. Just want to get a few reviews under my belt and hopefully pick it up at Costco where the warranty is 2 Yrs. plus an extra year on my Costco AmEx.

Last edited by billdag; 09-19-2014 at 11:27 AM.
post #303 of 18017 Old 09-19-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1667 Post(s)
Liked: 2457
@westa6969

lol

You are 90% wrong. Go rant elsewhere, please.

Buzz
THX Certified Level II Video Calibrator

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 18017 Old 09-19-2014, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4738
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyandLyndsy Morgan View Post
Thanks for the Maketing info tip!!! Doesn't surprise me!! I have been very excited about the p series and following the forum. I am new to all the tech talk with TVs and replacing a broken 42" proscan.
I am the average Joe who wants the best possible picture with HD and the potential of more future 4k material dvd/streaming. The vizio p is in my price range and more of the guy who would be taken advantage of by all the marketing buzz. For example walking into the BB and seeing the 4k quality is jaw dropping.

My question is Do i just go ahead with a 70" M-series which seems like a great tv from cnet reviews or get the 70" P series??? Im not into gaming, but just want the best picture quality sharpness without spending am arm/leg while watching regular HD with ps3 and steaming netflix. It seems that 4k streaming will strengthen and the future of 4kblueray positive. I plan to have this tv 5+yrs.

Thanks for any help or advice to an average Joe buyer

The M-Series is relatively known at this point, so you know what you will be getting there (which is a great value).

The P costs an additional ~$500 and for that what you should be getting is:

4K screen for less screen-door effect when gaming from close-to-screen
120Hz Gaming mode which should be better for twitch gaming (but not yet confirmed)
higher action rate which should mean more range of options in terms of motion handling
2X the number of local dimming zones which should result in better dark-room viewing

If you watch most of your movies in the dark, watch a lot of sports, twitch game, or game from close enough to the screen that the pixilation bothers you, the P might be worth the extra $$$s.

Another option you might consider is to go ahead and purchase a 70" from Costco and see how you like it. Before your return period is up there will be plenty of reviews and user feedback summarizing the incremental advantages of the P over the M and you can decide if those improvements are worth an additional $500.

And if you are planning to keep the TV for 5 years and have the $3000-3500 budget for it, the 65" R Series may be another option worth considering...
post #305 of 18017 Old 09-19-2014, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by traumadisaster View Post
I'm sorry man...I have been watching 4k since May of not this year but last year. UHD does nothing to minimal for HD, I've tried every content and sit 4 feet from a 50/55 inch. I can see a hair of a difference in House of Cards, a slight increase in sharpness.

The only thing that looks better on UHD TV's is UHD content from Timescapes, youtube, a little better for 4k Netflix, PC games look much better though. Again, does your DVD look any better on an HD tv...nope. For me contrast and blacks is the most important for movies. I'm gonna try the P series out to see how it compares to the rest of the 4k's I've tried, for my 4k pc gaming.
A good scaling engine certainly adds details. The better the scaler, the better the image.
Elvis Is Alive likes this.
post #306 of 18017 Old 09-19-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post
Look, lets not be so damn disingenuous about that shootout, I viewed all of it over the course of two days and they NEVER fed or compared UHD at all - None Nada Zilch!

I call it pandering to the plasma up on the wall and Calibrators that own FOUR Kuro's that cannot compare a UHD with content that it was designed for and being in denial of the present and future - No Damn Calibrators or group of them is going to halt this UHD Train and all the plasma whiners now sitting with tombstone tech are stuck where they chose and come in here an arrogantly spout that there is no difference with UHD content is insane.

Go back and rest in peace in the STATIC Plasma Threads and why do you folks troll the LCD threads incessantly like your here to save us? LCD Won and beat the ass of all the calibrators on the planet, they don't evolve this tech for them. How any of you can sit and vuiew REAL 2160P and say you can't observe a difference I say your BLINDED and in DENIAL. We don't need to be SAVED or held back by plasma tombstones.

Just watch how many plasma fanboys come out of the woodwork as they're so damn bored over their in the Cemetary of sameness 1080P vs 2160 and the FUTURE. The Shootout compared ZERO UHD - how do the Calibrators explain ignoring the reason behind those flagships they chose to ignore other than pandering to what they hold dear and is NOW DEAD. It gets tiring to see this arrogant trolling within virtually every new LCD thread endlessly like we're a bunch of dumb aces needing saving which many of us owned and hated! Will they ever let it ride without this arrogance that they know better for all of us like D-Nice bragging of FOUR KURO's. Could you guys just go the hell away for a change!
Easy there killer. You obviously did not read through the thread. I own a VT60 and placed an order for one of these TVs already to be delivered Thursday.

But I can be 100% certain the picture won't be better then my VT60 but I will make some money by selling one and purchasing another but won't be in denial of which TV offers the better pq.

So my P series is coming Thursday, when is yours being delivered?
StinDaWg and venus933 like this.

Last edited by eric3316; 09-19-2014 at 11:41 AM.
post #307 of 18017 Old 09-19-2014, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post
Oh - Horse Poohey PooP!

Go back and rest in peace in the STATIC Plasma Threads and why do you folks troll the LCD threads incessantly like your here to save us? LCD Won for ALL Global Consumers and beat the ass of all the calibrators on the planet and their opinion mattered NONE, they don't evolve this tech for them - it's in spite of them not due to them - they have their own Engineers after all.

How any of you can sit and view REAL 2160P and say you can't observe a difference I say your BLINDED and in DENIAL. We don't need to be SAVED or held back by plasma tombstones Tech .

Just watch how many plasma fan boys come out of the woodwork as they're so damn bored over their in the Cemetary of sameness 1080P vs 2160 and the FUTURE. The Shootout compared ZERO UHD - how do the Calibrators explain ignoring the reason behind those flagships they chose to ignore other than pandering to what they hold dear and is NOW DEAD.

It gets tiring after ten years to see this arrogant trolling within virtually every new LCD thread endlessly like we're a bunch of dumb aces needing saving which many of us owned and hated Plasma daytime bright room washout, dirty urinated on whites, green trails, fan noise, mirror reflections! Will they ever let it ride without this arrogance that they know better for all of us like D-Nice bragging of FOUR KURO's.

Could you guys just go way for a change! Why can't you folks just let one thread grow without boasting like your Superior or that your apologizing for considering this TV because I guarantee and bet a thousand dollars that if I put your plasma or a Kuro or F8500 in my bright Sunny Room in FL - it would become a useless Piece of whatever expletive you choose as a HT!
U missed the entire theme...HD does not look better on a UHD set. UHD content does look sweet on a UHD set. I've had 4 different 4k TVs for over a year and half and will try the visP next.
post #308 of 18017 Old 09-19-2014, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 324
First request;
Does any owner of a P series have a 'Kill-A-Watt' (or similar) to measure current consumption?
They are less than $25. The manual says 133 watts, their web site says 250.

Second request;
Can someone take screen shots of a gray screen with something other than a toy phone, camera setup in manual mode to prevent blooming & overexposure?

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??

Last edited by videobruce; 09-19-2014 at 11:49 AM.
post #309 of 18017 Old 09-19-2014, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I ordered the 70" Vizio P from Amazon a few days back. Vizio emails you a coupon for 10% off any single item when you sign up for their newsletter. I went into a chat with an Amazon customer service rep and explained that I just ordered a television from them. I continued to explain that while I was researching the television on Vizio's site, I signed up for their newsletter and receive a 10% off coupon via email. The customer service rep duplicated my experience by going to Vizio's site and signing up for the newsletter with her email address. As soon as she received the coupon in her inbox she was more than happy to credit me back $249.99. So I was able to get the television for $2250 (plus tax) with Free Shipping.

Television is scheduled to arrive on 9/26 and I cannot wait!
Keenan likes this.
post #310 of 18017 Old 09-19-2014, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I wouldn't really recommend anyone purchase this TV, or any tv for that matter, for the main purpose of "upscaling" 1080p sources to 4K. Chips can only do so good of a job trying to interpolate the details in-between pixels, and the results are usually marginally better. Hell, even complex fractal-based still image resizing software doesn't fare too much better when compared to originals in tests, and those have desktop processors and all of the time in the world to work on upscaling content. TVs have much smaller chips and much do it in real time while taking temporal continuity into effect.

Buy this TV for actual 4K content, FALD, 120Hz input, etc., but not because it has an upscaler as I believe you will be disappointed.

Speaking of disappointed, I'm a bit dismayed to see how much off-topic ranting has become of this thread lately. Let's just try and let this thread focus on the P-Series, ok? Hopefully we start seeing more reviews roll in tonight.
post #311 of 18017 Old 09-19-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthelove View Post
A good scaling engine certainly adds details. The better the scaler, the better the image.
I've not found scalers do anything much, I've tried a couple upscaling avers, blu ray players, and 4 UHD TVs. I and a buddy even did side by side comparisons at his place. Discouraged we got out DVDs and they received minimal improvement as well. We are crazy like in our analysis looking at jaggies, color, contrast changes like nuts.
post #312 of 18017 Old 09-19-2014, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 44
My 70 inch is scheduled to be delievered Monday morning.

Things I will be testing:

The 120Hz mode and what kind of input lag (verify no frame skipping).

Can the set to 240Hz (at lower resolutions) and frame skipping.

Will the set do custom resolutions?

Will it do custom timings? Can I get 39Hz via HDMI 1.4 via custom modes?

Using old (pre lower chroma nvidia drivers) can a pixel clock hack work for getting 60Hz with full chroma on maxwell hardware (rumor'd to have 600 Mhz capable TMDS)

General impressions of the panel, clarity, contrast, viewing angles, etc...

Power usage (at various backlight levels)

I am upgrading from my seiki SE50UY04. The 1080p @ 120Hz is a must for me. I was looking for something bigger that wasn't crazy expensive and also could do 120Hz at lower resolutions and 60Hz @ 4k.

Its a different (newer) username but I started the thread on hard forum on the SE50UY04 and put that display quite a bit through its paces as well as modified its firmware:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1756171

Last edited by Xevious; 09-19-2014 at 11:55 AM.
post #313 of 18017 Old 09-19-2014, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1667 Post(s)
Liked: 2457
I'll be busy for awhile. FedEx just left me a package....

Buzz
THX Certified Level II Video Calibrator

post #314 of 18017 Old 09-19-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
The M-Series is relatively known at this point, so you know what you will be getting there (which is a great value).

120Hz Gaming mode which should be better for twitch gaming (but not yet confirmed)
higher action rate which should mean more range of options in terms of motion handling
2X the number of local dimming zones which should result in better dark-room viewing

If you watch most of your movies in the dark, watch a lot of sports, twitch game, or game from close enough to the screen that the pixilation bothers you, the P might be worth the extra $$$s.

Another option you might consider is to go ahead and purchase a 70" from Costco and see how you like it. Before your return period is up there will be plenty of reviews and user feedback summarizing the incremental advantages of the P over the M and you can decide if those improvements are worth an additional $500.

And if you are planning to keep the TV for 5 years and have the $3000-3500 budget for it, the 65" R Series may be another option worth considering...
Screen door effect like from a DLP? I haven't seen that in years. Until lag is documented on this set I wouldn't reference it will be better.
If this is the next tv for 5 years then it appears there will be 4k blu rays next year so you are down to 4 years. 4kbr prob be expensive for a year like $35 maybe? It took awhile for 3dbr to drop in price. Now your down to 2 years.
I've watched everything on netflix4k and it's not but a tiny bit better, and I sit 4 feet away.
post #315 of 18017 Old 09-19-2014, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Went to my Costco in Concord, CA to see what they have. Only the 70" is in stock. The gal in charge of TVs said the 60"s were on order and had no info on any other sizes. I went home and ordered the 55" from their website since I'll probably get that sooner than the store gets it in stock and I can return it to the store if need be. I also got the 3 year SquareTrade warranty for $89 that starts after the costco 2 year one for a total of 5 years.
tubetwister likes this.
post #316 of 18017 Old 09-19-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
I hope they didn't just leave it.

I look forward to your review. Glad to see someone with experience and knowledge get this set early.
post #317 of 18017 Old 09-19-2014, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Screen door effect like from a DLP? I haven't seen that in years.
Screen door effect as in noticeable pixel structure - when the image pans, the inter-pixel grid (or 'screendoor') remains fixed.

The pixel structure of a 4K panel is far less visible than on a 1080p panel - you have to be quite a bit closer to notice the 'screen door'...

Quote:
Until lag is documented on this set I wouldn't reference it will be better.
My post was in reference to comparing P-Series versus M-Series. The P Series makes explicit to a 'High Velocity Gaming Mode' (which the M Series does not make reference to), so I believe it is a safe bet that the input lag on the P Series should be better than the M-Series (but all to be confirmed, of course :-)

Quote:
If this is the next tv for 5 years then it appears there will be 4k blu rays next year so you are down to 4 years. 4kbr prob be expensive for a year like $35 maybe? It took awhile for 3dbr to drop in price. Now your down to 2 years.
I've watched everything on netflix4k and it's not but a tiny bit better, and I sit 4 feet away.
Unlikely that 4K blu ray will ever see the light of day, but that is a debate for another thread (which is in the OLED and Flat Panels General Forum :-).

But in any case, future-proofing is another benefit of choosing a 4K TV like the P Series now over a 1080p TV like the M.

The counterargument to that is, with so many standards still evolving, this may not be an ideal time to purchase a TV for the next 5 years. Buying a placeholder now that is intended to last a year or two while the dust settles on various things including OLED may be the more appropriate strategy...

For it's price, the P-Series is pretty attractive as a placeholder and will probably hold it's resale value better than the 1080p M-Series.
post #318 of 18017 Old 09-19-2014, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 111
P series clouding

I, like others, was kinda stunned to see the pictures of the clouding and bright spots on one of the first P sets. I am the proud owner of the Full Array back-lit Sharp LC80-LE632U. I consider it totally free of clouding and bright blooming artifacts. I've had many many other sets that could not compare with the full array LED Sharp.
So, where am I going with this? Glad you asked. I took out my little Canon 330HS; set it -2 exposure and took a couple of pictures of my flawless screen set to an unused input (to prevent LED's from turning off).
I was more than a little stunned to see the results. A far from perfect screen!! It would seem that digital pictures show a LOT more variation on a dark background screen than can be seen with the naked eye. Of course, if the picture was taken with a fair amount of ambient light included in the frame, the automatic exposure would not drive up the gain so much and the screen should look perfectly black.
So, I suspect and hope that the clouding/brightness irregularities are greatly magnified by the camera and that this is an isolated incident.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0745.JPG
Views:	485
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	269545  
post #319 of 18017 Old 09-19-2014, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
@westa6969

lol

You are 90% wrong. Go rant elsewhere, please.
Is the 10% about not comparing how 4K content looked on the various sets in the "shootout"?

I enjoyed the rant.

The films of De Sica, of Welles, of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger made little money and endure as spiritual delights.
--David Mamet
post #320 of 18017 Old 09-19-2014, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

Thanks for the info.. I wish i could wait for the r series! been almost 2 months without a big tv, and using the ipad for netflix is getting old: LOL. Going crazy!! Great idea with Costco. They do have a great return policy. I saw the 70in on their website, but not available in store yet. Im in Ga.
post #321 of 18017 Old 09-19-2014, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6264 Post(s)
Liked: 5891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltby View Post
Is the 10% about not comparing how 4K content looked on the various sets in the "shootout"?

I enjoyed the rant.
Leave it alone man, its OT for this thread and only will drag this down further.....The rants have been made in the other 23493284320498 threads on the shootout, whats been said has been repeatedly.
Keenan and StinDaWg like this.
post #322 of 18017 Old 09-19-2014, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 122
My order is ship to store at BB. If they get some in before mine arrives wonder if they will let me just grab one.
post #323 of 18017 Old 09-19-2014, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Leave it alone man, its OT for this thread and only will drag this down further.....The rants have been made in the other 23493284320498 threads on the shootout, whats been said has been repeatedly.
Eh, if not for OT this thread would only be 2 pages, rather than 11. Is the count two or three people who actually have one now and posted?
videobruce and RedWyvern like this.

The films of De Sica, of Welles, of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger made little money and endure as spiritual delights.
--David Mamet
post #324 of 18017 Old 09-19-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@buzzard767 Do you still own a VT60? Would love to hear that comparison.
fafrd likes this.
post #325 of 18017 Old 09-19-2014, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
Quote:
I hope they didn't just leave it.

For me it'd be hard for to leave it, though I suppose that if they stood it on its side they could block the storm door with it. That would have been the great thing about getting it from Amazon, scheduled delivery. For $5 I can ensure that FedEx delivers it between 6 PM and 8 PM, but I can be home all day anyway.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #326 of 18017 Old 09-19-2014, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyandLyndsy Morgan View Post
Thanks for the info.. I wish i could wait for the r series! been almost 2 months without a big tv, and using the ipad for netflix is getting old: LOL. Going crazy!! Great idea with Costco. They do have a great return policy. I saw the 70in on their website, but not available in store yet. Im in Ga.

It's a question of how much effort you want to put into getting the best TV, but Vizio has set things up for a pretty attractive 'good - better - best' strategy through Costco. M Series now then after the dust has cleared, decide if there is sufficient reason to upgrade to the P Series, and before the return period is up on that set, the R Series is likely to be out.

And while I know you would like to purchase a TV for the next 5 years, this really may not be the best time for that - there are so many developments on the horizon (especially LG OLED). Hunkering down with something that is 'good enough' for the next year or two is an option to consider...
post #327 of 18017 Old 09-19-2014, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdag View Post
I, like others, was kinda stunned to see the pictures of the clouding and bright spots on one of the first P sets. I am the proud owner of the Full Array back-lit Sharp LC80-LE632U. I consider it totally free of clouding and bright blooming artifacts. I've had many many other sets that could not compare with the full array LED Sharp.
So, where am I going with this? Glad you asked. I took out my little Canon 330HS; set it -2 exposure and took a couple of pictures of my flawless screen set to an unused input (to prevent LED's from turning off).
I was more than a little stunned to see the results. A far from perfect screen!! It would seem that digital pictures show a LOT more variation on a dark background screen than can be seen with the naked eye. Of course, if the picture was taken with a fair amount of ambient light included in the frame, the automatic exposure would not drive up the gain so much and the screen should look perfectly black.
So, I suspect and hope that the clouding/brightness irregularities are greatly magnified by the camera and that this is an isolated incident.

Thanks for making the effort. As a general rule, anytime camera exposure is being used to enhance images beyond what can be seen by the naked eye, it would be helpful to both make that clear as well as to capture a photo indicating what the human eye sees (even if it is an all-black photo).
videobruce and dancinbear like this.
post #328 of 18017 Old 09-19-2014, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
I would do that except Discover gives 5% cash back from Best Buy when purchasing from their website through shop Discover. So guess I will need to wait.

Thinking of replacing my VT60 with this. Wonder if I am crazy to even think this will satisfy me....Anyone else replacing a high end plasma or thinking about it with this P series?
I am thinking the same with the same set, but I would much rather you be the canary in the mine first.
JoeDeSimone likes this.
post #329 of 18017 Old 09-19-2014, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Very much looking forward to your review/ calibration Buzz......I don't think I have to tell you this but please provide a brief statement regarding the overall PQ ie (Cable /Sat) 1080i/720p & BD 1080P24.

I ask this because I have calibrated sets that look fantastic according to Calman but are a bit "lackluster" with real world content - and vice versa.

Thanks in advance Buzz.

Paul
post #330 of 18017 Old 09-19-2014, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I picked up my 70 today at a local costco.

So far I think the set is amazing, although everyone here should take my opinion with a grain of salt since I'm upgrading from a 2007 Westinghouse 720p. I'd imagine anything would be better.

But so far I haven't seen any clouding at all. When I switch to an input without a signal, the set looks like it's off. When a commerical comes on that is in 4:3 or when I watch something with letterboxing, the bars look like they're off. No inconsistenties that I'm able to discern.

I did notice some judder during a baseball game when I had the motion smoothing turned to low, but when I switched it up to high, it looked great again. I think a preset picture mode for movies and another for sports is probably in order.

The nexflix 4k samples and the intro to House of Cards look really, really great. I have 50 down so they don't take long to buffer either. I'm downloading some true 4k content to my usb drive to make a comparison. I'm not at all an expert on settings and things like that, but I'd be willing to do a test or two if someone was willing to tell me how to do it.

So far I'm extremely pleased.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page