***Official 2014 Vizio P Series Owner's Thread - Page 142 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4644Likes

post #4231 of 18021 Old 10-10-2014, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So I got the Vizio P65 and the Samsung F8500 64", and the Samsung has the better picture, motion handling, colors, etc..., but mine had a pretty annoying buzzing coming from the set. It's not noticeable when music or dialogue is playing, but when it goes silent, you can hear it pretty easily. It's pretty much a deal breaker for me. I got both sets for around the same price = $2200. Note: I'm not using the TV speakers; I do have a pretty decent external speaker setup. I also sit pretty close to the TV ~ 7-8 feet.

I'm not a super professional viewer or anything like that, and I mainly just watch movies and tv shows, but for me, I'm going to return the Samsung and keep the Vizio. Honestly, for most people, unless you see the picture side by side, you're not going to notice that much of a picture quality/colors/etc. difference from these sets. Both are amazing for the price, and 4k does look really good on the Vizio. If you absolutely need inky blacks, then yeah, the Samsung is better, but just for watching TV shows/Movies, the Vizio handles blacks just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4232 of 18021 Old 10-10-2014, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by VV35T0N View Post
Dangit, you're making me think that it may be worth it to step up to the P60 from the P55. In your opinion, is the P60's picture ~$260 better than the P55's picture? This is my everything TV, for blu-ray, gaming, sports and streaming, so if its really such a step of for the extra 5 inches of screen and better PQ then it sounds pretty convincing.
There are many people in here that wished they would have gone to a bigger display once they got it home and had it for a while...the other way around, almost never. An extra 5" of screen AND potentially better picture quality? If the extra 260 doesn't jam you up then to me it's a no brainer. Good luck.
traumadisaster likes this.
post #4233 of 18021 Old 10-10-2014, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4234 of 18021 Old 10-10-2014, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can someone break this down for me in sort of a "AVR's for Dummies" type terms?

I'm thinking of getting the Vizio P and I game quite a bit so I'd definitely want the Xbox and PS4 hooked up to HDMI-5 for the low lag input. I know literally nothing about AV receivers, but after reading this thread it seems like the game consoles should be hooked up to port 5 and everything else, Cable, Blu-ray player, etc. should be hooked up to ports 1-4 for the best picture quality.

But if I have an AVR, how do I get everything to have sound through the receiver without hooking up the AVR to port 5 and then all of my systems/players to the AVR? Maybe that's not how you do it, but again I don't have a good amount of experience with this.

Thanks.
post #4235 of 18021 Old 10-10-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked: 2459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattcc22 View Post
He'll be eating these words after he sees the P55.

"The Vizio P Series is a great TV. If you want a 4k TV, definitely get the Vizio P Series."
Den9696 likes this.

Buzz
THX Certified Level II Video Calibrator

post #4236 of 18021 Old 10-10-2014, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteriouskk View Post
So I got the Vizio P65 and the Samsung F8500 64", and the Samsung has the better picture, motion handling, colors, etc..., but mine had a pretty annoying buzzing coming from the set. It's not noticeable when music or dialogue is playing, but when it goes silent, you can hear it pretty easily. It's pretty much a deal breaker for me. I got both sets for around the same price = $2200. Note: I'm not using the TV speakers; I do have a pretty decent external speaker setup. I also sit pretty close to the TV ~ 7-8 feet.

I'm not a super professional viewer or anything like that, and I mainly just watch movies and tv shows, but for me, I'm going to return the Samsung and keep the Vizio. Honestly, for most people, unless you see the picture side by side, you're not going to notice that much of a picture quality/colors/etc. difference from these sets. Both are amazing for the price, and 4k does look really good on the Vizio. If you absolutely need inky blacks, then yeah, the Samsung is better, but just for watching TV shows/Movies, the Vizio handles blacks just fine.
Going through the F8500 thread a few days ago looking for people with burn-in problems, the buzzing noise produced by the F8500 seems to be one of the most common problems plaguing the set from the beginning. I am guessing it's just not fixable, which is unfortunate.

How do the viewing angles compare between the sets?
post #4237 of 18021 Old 10-10-2014, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteriouskk View Post

Buzzing is pretty normal for plasmas. My 8500 does too and but honestly i can ignore it pretty easy. The picture quality and motion are worth it.
post #4238 of 18021 Old 10-10-2014, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandstormGT View Post
Going through the F8500 thread a few days ago looking for people with burn-in problems, the buzzing noise produced by the F8500 seems to be one of the most common problems plaguing the set from the beginning. I am guessing it's just not fixable, which is unfortunate.

Viewing angles are excellent on the Samsung. They are okay on the Vizio. I sit pretty much straight on (0-30 degrees off is fine), so it's not that big of a deal.
post #4239 of 18021 Old 10-10-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6622 Post(s)
Liked: 6438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggzy32 View Post
Can someone break this down for me in sort of a "AVR's for Dummies" type terms?

I'm thinking of getting the Vizio P and I game quite a bit so I'd definitely want the Xbox and PS4 hooked up to HDMI-5 for the low lag input. I know literally nothing about AV receivers, but after reading this thread it seems like the game consoles should be hooked up to port 5 and everything else, Cable, Blu-ray player, etc. should be hooked up to ports 1-4 for the best picture quality.

But if I have an AVR, how do I get everything to have sound through the receiver without hooking up the AVR to port 5 and then all of my systems/players to the AVR? Maybe that's not how you do it, but again I don't have a good amount of experience with this.

Thanks.

Without dual port outputs you wouldn't be able to. Unless you are professionally calibrating then most likely you'll be fine with HDMI 5 as your "all in one".

I'm lost in the blue nowhere.
post #4240 of 18021 Old 10-10-2014, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A quick update on where we are. I had a gray blob in the middle of my 60" P series, called them up and they are sending a replacement. It was supposed to arrive yesterday, but they called on Wednesday to inform me that it would probably be Monday. I asked about the return policy in case there was a problem with the second unit. I was told that I could return it if it was defective, but I would have to pay a 10% restocking fee. I argued a bit and they seemed to back off. I didn't understand why I would have to pay a restocking fee for something that didn't work....twice.
In the meantime, I have been trying to get some video across the network. I contacted their tech support via their website to find out what the TV supports. I asked specifically about my own 4K footage that I have shot over the past year. This is what the rep said:

"You are going to be able to do this through the USB and through media sharing from computer but the file type would have to be MKV hevc but as for codec we do not have that information as of yet."

Has anyone had any luck? I haven't had time to scroll back through the posts to see if it has been addressed.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

Thanks,

Chad Dyle
post #4241 of 18021 Old 10-10-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
He'll be eating these words after he sees the P55.

"The Vizio P Series is a great TV. If you want a 4k TV, definitely get the Vizio P Series."
Did he say what size he reviewed. I did not see it mentioned unless I just over looked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandstormGT View Post

There is no comparison bewteen side angle views of any plasma vs. an LED. Plasma's can be watched from any angle with a great picture where LED's will never be able to achieve this.

And from the review, side angles scored lower on the P then the other LEDs he was comparing them to. According to Buzz the 55" had better side viewing but all other sizes use a different panel then that so won't be as good as the 55" but the 55" supposedly has the worst pq of the bunch. Also think I have seen a lot complaints of light leakage in the corner on that size as well.
SDsc0rch likes this.
post #4242 of 18021 Old 10-10-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post
Did he say what size he reviewed. I did not see it mentioned unless I just over looked it.

There is no comparison bewteen side angle views of any plasma vs. an LED. Plasma's can be watched from any angle with a great picture where LED's will never be able to achieve this.

And from the review, side angles scored lower on the P then the other LEDs he was comparing them to. According to Buzz the 55" had better side viewing but all other sizes use a different panel then that so won't be as good as the 55" but the 55" supposedly has the worst pq of the bunch. Also think I have seen a lot complaints of light leakage in the corner on that size as well.

P60 is the one that was reported here as the one Cedric has.

eric3316 likes this.
post #4243 of 18021 Old 10-10-2014, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Top of the page under overall score it states that he reviewed the 60.
eric3316 likes this.
post #4244 of 18021 Old 10-10-2014, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddyle View Post
A quick update on where we are. I had a gray blob in the middle of my 60" P series, called them up and they are sending a replacement. It was supposed to arrive yesterday, but they called on Wednesday to inform me that it would probably be Monday. I asked about the return policy in case there was a problem with the second unit. I was told that I could return it if it was defective, but I would have to pay a 10% restocking fee. I argued a bit and they seemed to back off. I didn't understand why I would have to pay a restocking fee for something that didn't work....twice.
In the meantime, I have been trying to get some video across the network. I contacted their tech support via their website to find out what the TV supports. I asked specifically about my own 4K footage that I have shot over the past year. This is what the rep said:

"You are going to be able to do this through the USB and through media sharing from computer but the file type would have to be MKV hevc but as for codec we do not have that information as of yet."

Has anyone had any luck? I haven't had time to scroll back through the posts to see if it has been addressed.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

Thanks,

Chad Dyle
The DLNA network sharing on the p series is really piss poor. It doesnt work with some DLNA devices (like my hdhomeruns) and its just slow and thrown together.
post #4245 of 18021 Old 10-10-2014, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
I believe it was the 60". If you look at the top right of the article next to the various sizes of screens, next to 60" he has "reviewed".
post #4246 of 18021 Old 10-10-2014, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Without dual port outputs you wouldn't be able to. Unless you are professionally calibrating then most likely you'll be fine with HDMI 5 as your "all in one".

Thanks for the help Ph8te.

I won't be professionally calibrating. If I did decide to run the others on a different port, I would just need 2 HDMI outputs is that right?

Would this one from Best Buy work?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/onkyo-80...tput&cp=1&lp=9

I wouldn't be thrilled about dropping that much money it, but I'm just seeing if its correct.

Thanks again.
post #4247 of 18021 Old 10-10-2014, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm setting up the P70 and my directtv keeps being displayed in 480p. Its set to 1080p? How can I improve this?
post #4248 of 18021 Old 10-10-2014, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I picked up the p65 on Wednesday from the Bellingham BB, no problems bringing it back, just had to pay the tax (again). Unboxing went smoothly, no cracked screens, no apparent damage. Put the wall mount brackets on and hung the tv up, plugged in all the cords and was a little relieved that it powered up with no problems (after some reports of doa sets).
Just watched a bit of TV on the standard setting and didn't really like the picture so much (running from the Telus Optik TV box). It had a funny look to it and only when I went into the settings did I realize the SME was on low. Turned it off and was much happier with the picture. I hadn't really experienced the SOE before but apparently I'm very susceptible to it.
I've done a bit of set up with the WOW disc though some adjustments don't seem to really effect the changes that are supposed to happen. For example, for the brightness control the three bars on the right would always appear as one bar. Turning brightness down certainly dimmed and greyed the picture but the bar never separated into the three bars it was supposed to be. Turning it higher would affect the bars on the left. I ended up leaving brightness around 50 or 51. Seemed optimal and due to issues previously mentioned with brightness affecting LD I didn't want to go higher than 51. On the intermediate pattern I could see the stars properly but again, I couldn't really change it much.
I had a tough time with the colour control and am not sure I have it optimally set up. The blue filter pattern didn't change much with colour anywhere from 50 to 70 - at least with these old eyes of mine. Tint (gain) clearly, for me at least, needed to remain at 0.
Looked at some of the 1080p video on the WOW disc and was impressed by the clarity of the picture. Also watched Gotham and, for me at least, the black levels and detail were impressive.
I do wonder though if the reds seem to be a bit on the orange side. I also would love to see someone's 2 point greyscale as that should, I believe, be relatively transferable between the same panel types?
Overall a huge improvement in picture quality from my previous set.
I had considered going the plasma route but I tried one some years ago and the buzzing drove me nuts. I also ended up with burn in but I don't think the set quality was all that high so the new ones may be better with that aspect of it.
post #4249 of 18021 Old 10-10-2014, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattcc22 View Post
Has anyone had issues with the color trailing he mentions in the motion section?
post #4250 of 18021 Old 10-10-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked: 2459
Quote:
That applies to night viewing because of bad blacks on the P55 I had. For day viewing it was outstanding.

Buzz
THX Certified Level II Video Calibrator

post #4251 of 18021 Old 10-10-2014, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjackel View Post
I also would love to see someone's 2 point greyscale as that should, I believe, be relatively transferable between the same panel types?
The words below were pulled directly from the review that was linked a few posts up.

"This is the result of our 2 point grayscale calibration. Unfortunately, these doesn't translate well to other panels, so we don't recommend that you copy them for your own TV."

Take it as you will.
post #4252 of 18021 Old 10-10-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
That applies to night viewing because of bad blacks on the P55 I had. For day viewing it was outstanding.
I wish the 70" would have had the viewing angles of the 55". I personally would have prefered the better angles over the better night time viewing for this TV, at least for my use. As long as screen was as uniform as it is on the 70". I would have been ok with the hit in contrast.

Of course for people who will be viewing it in a darkened room I understand their want for the better nightime picture.
post #4253 of 18021 Old 10-10-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked: 994
Quote:

I won't be professionally calibrating. If I did decide to run the others on a different port, I would just need 2 HDMI outputs is that right?

I wouldn't be thrilled about dropping that much money it, but I'm just seeing if its correct.

Thanks again.

The Onkyo TX-NR636 is a good choice as it has HDMI 2.0 inputs with HDCP 2.2 (as per the Onkyo web site - link below). These will be required for use with the upcoming Blu-ray 4K/UHD system and other top quality 4K video sources. Its list price is $699.

http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/mod...urce=prodClass
Biggzy32 likes this.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com

Last edited by Ron Jones; 10-10-2014 at 11:30 AM.
post #4254 of 18021 Old 10-10-2014, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

If you are buying a new receiver now and will have a 4k tv, dont buy one unless it has hdmi2.0 and hdcp2.2
Ph8te and pilgrimpete like this.
post #4255 of 18021 Old 10-10-2014, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Howard View Post
Most of my mkvs will play off of a flash drive. They also play off my server through a WD Live media player. I have been able to play a h265 hevc video off of flash drive and directly off a server through the multimedia app. Many won't play. I haven't been able to play a non h265 2160p video in any way yet. Anyone found a way?

What 2160p clips have you downloaded that work from a flash drive? The ones that I've downloaded at random will not play. It can read the container because it shows things about the clip like its duration but it just says "format unsupported" (or something to that effect).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #4256 of 18021 Old 10-10-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:

Thanks again.

It may, but I'm unfamiliar with that AVR. You may want to see if there's an owners thread to see if there are any limitations. For myself I wouldn't purchase an AVR yet as if it's missing hdcp 2.2 it would kill BR4K support.

post #4257 of 18021 Old 10-10-2014, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Hey guys... I'm hoping that you won't mind me picking your brains on the 50" model.

I am looking at this TV more as a computer monitor. I'd love to have 4k for web browsing, development, and just general work. Having that much clarity and screen real estate would be fantastic.

That said, I also game quite a bit on my PC and I don't have the horsepower to game at 4k. (nor am I willing to overpay to invest in it right now). So how well does it handle PC games running at 1080? Does it get all blurry like normal monitors when not running at native resolution or does it handle the up conversion well?

Thanks
SDsc0rch likes this.
post #4258 of 18021 Old 10-10-2014, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post
The Onkyo TX-NR636 is a good choice as it has HDMI 2.0 inputs with HDCP 2.2 (as per the Onkyo web site - link below). These will be required for use with the upcoming Blu-ray 4K/UHD system and other top quality 4K video sources. Its list price is $699.

http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/mod...urce=prodClass
I have that AVR. You can get it for about $550, maybe even a little less. I really like it.
post #4259 of 18021 Old 10-10-2014, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 50
[QUOTE=buzzard767;28096162]American. I flew ORD - Europe in the summer and MIA - Euro/Caribbean in the winter. I was the senior 767 captain in the entire company my last 2 years and then retired 14 months before I was required to due to the CEO threatening bankruptcy. Had that happened it would have been very expensive retirement wise so 300 of us bailed on the same day.

My FIL retired from NWA after 38 years at the then 60 year old mandate. He was a senior 747 Captain and great person but unfortunately he flew West earlier this year. Fortunately he had one of the old retirement plans that paid 6 figures so he was set. My BIL retired from the Marines as an aviator and Lt.Col. after 22 years and then went on to fly for Continental and he too was forced out at 60.
post #4260 of 18021 Old 10-10-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked: 994
A question for P-series owners: Does the screen have any sort of anti-reflective coating?

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com

Last edited by Ron Jones; 10-10-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page