***Official 2014 Vizio P Series Owner's Thread - Page 153 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4645Likes

post #4561 of 18031 Old 10-13-2014, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked: 2459
P60

A few calibration tid bits.

First, I want to restate something I said last night as I'm going to link this post on page 1 of the thread. This concerns the black level (contrast) of the P60 side by side with the Samsung F8000. P60 dimming is ON.

In a lighted room the F8000 "appears" to have deeper black than the P60. Additionally, the P60 black even looks a tad brownish by comparison. It has something to do with the way the panels filter the ambient light. I'm no video engineer and don't have a clue why this occurs. When the lights are turned off and the room is very dark, the P60 black is black and the F8000 is a dark gray. The perceived contrast of the P60 is much greater. This alone makes the P60 the better display for night viewing despite shortcomings in P60 color.

Grayscale Calibration:

Before I get into white balance calibration throughout the luminance scale I want to warn about some "triggers" I found. You probably wouldn't be adjusting in the following ranges but if you do, here's what happens. In the 11 point White Balance module the color temperature will jump to VERY Blue (and increases luminance by about 10 Foot Lamberts) when increasing 100% from Red 11 to 12, Green 15 to 16, and Blue 8 to 9. The same thing occurs at 5% when increasing Red from 26 to 27. The other, and more important trigger for practical purposes, is when switching from dimming OFF to ON, 100% White goes very Bluish. This does not happen from 90% down to 5%.

Here's what the trigger does, before and after.

Grayscale workflow ---

100% must be calibrated with dimming ON because it skews the balance. Do not calibrate 100% with dimming OFF. Set the back light to meet your luminance requirement.

5 - 90% is calibrated with dimming OFF and the back light must be lowered (based on 100% readings) to meet the same luminance requirement. I use the ChromaPure Gamma module where I can watch Gamma and Grayscale simultaneously.

In the ChromaPure Gamma module (figure it out for your software):
1.Turn dimming ON, adjust the back light, and take the 100% measurement only - you've already balanced RGB, or if not, do it now.
2. Turn dimming OFF, adjust the back light.
3. Start at 5% and work your way up adjusting both Gamma and RGB balance at each step.
4. Reiterate as required.

Edit to add: Before running the 11 point, do the 2 point (offsets an gain) using 100% and 30%. Because of the 100% dimming ON pop I came up with Gain settings of 0, -42, and -36, It worked.

So why the big deal about the 100% white balance? The way the eye/brain system works, "white", "true white", is interpreted as being the color balance of the peak (100%) luminance. Perception of lower shades of white (grays) are based on the 100% interpretation. If 100% is skewed to Blue, lesser shades, even if properly balanced, will appear pinkish. The mind plays tricks.

The bluish peak whites make a display appear brighter even though they probably aren't. Manufacturers know this and for the last several years they have set them up this way at the factory (Actually, the Vizio P60 is an exception). When compared to other displays up on the wall at retailer establishments, uninformed customers perceive the blue displays to be the brightest and therefore, the best. We know better, they don't. The customer purchases the pretty blue display.

Hope this helps.

Color calibration: I'm not happy with what I'm getting. I'll be working on Color this afternoon and will report my findings later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trigger 01.JPG
Views:	2647
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	309242   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trigger 02.JPG
Views:	2563
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	309250  
Googer, fafrd, Ph8te and 3 others like this.

Buzz
THX Certified Level II Video Calibrator

Last edited by buzzard767; 10-13-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4562 of 18031 Old 10-13-2014, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
Funny you brought this up. I never noticed that until I saw the 'P60' test. I went back and starting looking through many of the other sets to see if that happens with them. Some do, some don't. His 'P60' was the worst that I saw as far as the 'far' side getting washed out way before the near side. It was one of three at the bottom as far as viewing angle. The 'M' test was one of four or five at the top.
Huge difference.
P60 was VA

M55 was IPS

So 'huge difference' is right

I love the way rtings.com structures their review but it is a travesty that they test only a single size and then write their conclusion in a way that applies to the entire Series. They really need to fix that. If you believe their current reviews, the M Series has great viewing angles and the P Series has really crappy viewing angles. Totally bogus.
post #4563 of 18031 Old 10-13-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
P60

A few calibration tid bits.

First, I want to restate something I said last night as I'm going to link this post on page 1 of the thread. This concerns the black level (contrast) of the P60 side by side with the Samsung F8000. P60 dimming is ON.

In a lighted room the F8000 "appears" to have deeper black than the P60. Additionally, the P60 black even looks a tad brownish by comparison. It has something to do with the way the panels filter the ambient light. I'm no video engineer and don't have a clue why this occurs. When the lights are turned off and the room is very dark, the P60 black is black and the F8000 is a dark gray. The perceived contrast of the P60 is much greater. This alone makes the P60 the better display for night viewing despite shortcomings in P60 color.

Grayscale Calibration:

Before I get into white balance calibration throughout the luminance scale I want to warn about some "triggers" I found. You probably wouldn't be adjusting in the following ranges but if you do, here's what happens. In the 11 point White Balance module the color temperature will jump to VERY Blue (and increases luminance by about 10 Foot Lamberts) when increasing 100% from Red 11 to 12, Green 15 to 16, and Blue 8 to 9. The same thing occurs at 5% when increasing Red from 26 to 27. The other, and more important trigger for practical purposes, is when switching from dimming OFF to ON, 100% White goes very Bluish. This does not happen from 90% down to 5%.
I encountered this too but never bothered to report it since I further found I was doing it wrong if I needed to make such large changes in the 11-point grayscale. I actually had the opposite happen where I got the entire grayscale to go super-yellow (blue-deficient) one time when I was playing around with the 5% RGB values in 11-point scale but I believe it to be the same issue you're reporting.

Quote:
Grayscale workflow ---

100% must be calibrated with dimming ON because it skews the balance. Do not calibrate 100% with dimming OFF. Set the back light to meet your luminance requirement.
If I'm interpreting what you're saying correctly, you mean that 100% white is significantly different between local dimming on and off with it skewing towards blue when you enable local dimming (and only 100% white, not the rest of the grayscale)? I can double-check this later but I'm almost positive I would have noticed this rather easily given I watch a lot of hockey and quite a few hockey feeds are over-exposed so 100% white is seen relatively often in them.

Quote:
Color calibration: I'm not happy with what I'm getting. I'll be working on Color this afternoon and will report my findings later.
Looking forward to seeing what you say about this; I know that with my current settings that report low errors across the board with almost everything with the exception of some high saturation yellows, oranges, and reds (none of which are all that bad really, though 100% red is still around 7 dE with not much we can do about it ), and real content has looked quite good to me in the last couple days since I last recalibrated. Assuming my RS20 with 3D LUT CMS from its Radiance Mini3D is doing its job with putting out accurate colors across the board, my P70 is also subjectively very close to accurate at this point.
buzzard767 likes this.

Last edited by Googer; 10-13-2014 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Added note about hockey feeds being over-exposed so 100% white is in fact common in them, not just near-whites
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4564 of 18031 Old 10-13-2014, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I am amazed that the reports from 6 actual P3 owners generated 150 pages of chatter.That comes to 25 pages per!

So here is my contribution:

The P3 series will NOT play 4K video like MP4 when input via the USB port as promised by Vizio! One user states " any 4K video"

Those files play fine on Sony Samsung LG etc. and not just USB drives but HDD too.

Anybody cares?

Eugene

Last edited by Eugene157; 10-13-2014 at 10:10 AM.
post #4565 of 18031 Old 10-13-2014, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
In my opinion, you're better off spending a little more and getting a better product. You can calibrate your friends' and neighbors' displays for a couple bottles of wine and before long you'll have everything paid for. My top recommended calibration system for enthusiasts is The ChromaPure Standard/D3. At $595 it's a little more expensive but it's an elegantly simple program compared to CalMAN and contains the following presets for the individual meter that comes with the package:
Generic LCD
Samsung Standard LCD
Samsung LED
Sony Standard LCD
Sony LED
LG LED
LG Standard LCD
DLP Rear Projection
CRT
Plasma
LED Front Projection-Screen
LED Front Projection-Lens
Front Projection-Screen
Front Projection-Lens

I have the $3000 CalMAN Ultimate software and it sits on my computer unused. I prefer ChromaPure for all calibration duties except 3D LUTs and for that I use LightSpace as does Warner Bros., Disney, etc.
Turns out i bought the OEM X-Rite Display 3 PRO on ebay.....so......i guess i need software lisence. Should i get the ChromaPure lite or standard software? Or another program you recommend? Are their any real differences? I have never calibrated before and own a 65p.
post #4566 of 18031 Old 10-13-2014, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
When I had the M Series that is what I thought I was noticing with panning shots, not the actual LEDs mind you but that I could discern the columns of light disbursement. I noticed SOE with and without frame interpolation. Please see the gray uniformity picture and the text below it from the rtings review of the E series. Cedric says for the M series you can no longer see the individual LEDs but from the picture you can still make out the columns. Hence my assumption.

I can't say that I've every actually witnessed SOE myself, but I understand what it is - when cinema shot at 24 frames per second is interpolated to 60 frames per second it appears like a soap opera (which is video shot at 60 frames per second).

I don't believe that is the 'SOE' you are talking about - it has nothing to do with the backlight or the LEDs and is only related to frame rate and frame interpolation.

I see what you are talking about - visible LED locations, either a pattern of brighter spots or entire columns that are slightly brighter or slightly darker, but I believe that is the issue of backlight uniformity and that backlight non-uniformity makes itself visible during panning shots in what is usually call 'dirty screen effect' (DSE). I'm not sure greyscale uniformity being visible as a stationary luminance pattern visible during camera pans is called DSE (I assume ANY nonstationary screen characteristic including actual dirt in the screen or a visible pattern from the pixels or backlight LEDs visible upon camera pans is called 'DSE'), but regardless, I think we are both talking about the same thing.

So while I agree that DSE is usually only visible during camera pans and motion, I believe that is the link to SOE (which is also related to motion and camera pans) but I believe the effects are completely different and have nothing to do with each other (other than being related to motion).

Backlight nonuniformity DSE certainly can be related to backlight settings including BACKLIGHT (LED brightness), CLEAR ACTION (backlight scanning), and LOCAL DIMMING (changing LED intensity within specific dimming zones).

But none of those settings should have anything to do with SOE.
post #4567 of 18031 Old 10-13-2014, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 7026 Post(s)
Liked: 7112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene157 View Post
I am amazed that the reports from 6 actual P3 owners generated 150 pages of chatter.That comes to 25 pages per!

So here is my contribution:

The P3 series will NOT play 4K video like MP4 when input via the USB port as promised by Vizio! One user states " any 4K video"

Anybody cares?

Eugene

Please show where they "promised" that they would play. I have yet to see any statement from Vizio officially saying what formats the do or do not support. What is the P3 series?

I'm lost in the blue nowhere.
post #4568 of 18031 Old 10-13-2014, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googer View Post
If I'm interpreting what you're saying correctly, you mean that 100% white is significantly different between local dimming on and off with it skewing towards blue when you enable local dimming (and only 100% white, not the rest of the grayscale)? I can double-check this later but I'm almost positive I would have noticed this rather easily given I watch a lot of hockey and quite a few hockey feeds are over-exposed so 100% white is seen relatively often in them.
Exactly.

Quote:
Looking forward to seeing what you say about this; I know that with my current settings that report low errors across the board with almost everything with the exception of some high saturation yellows, oranges, and reds (none of which are all that bad really, though 100% red is still around 7 dE with not much we can do about it ), and real content has looked quite good to me in the last couple days since I last recalibrated. Assuming my RS20 with 3D LUT CMS from its Radiance Mini3D is doing its job with putting out accurate colors across the board, my P70 is also subjectively very close to accurate at this point.
Presently I have the Red out of flesh but all colors are undersaturated when viewed along side the F8000 in all viewing environments. I was happy with the degree of undersaturation when using my basic Color setup and viewed alongside the VT60. I might have to revert to that.

I'd like to wring Sharp's neck for giving us that poor native gamut. Everything would be soooo much easier had they done their part in the first place....
Googer, mascior and wildh like this.

Buzz

post #4569 of 18031 Old 10-13-2014, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

PH8TE

I know I read that, but would it not make sense, considering there is such a decoder inside and in view of the competition doing it??? All it plays via USB according to some owners is HD!!
post #4570 of 18031 Old 10-13-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avstaku View Post
Turns out i bought the OEM X-Rite Display 3 PRO on ebay.....so......i guess i need software lisence. Should i get the ChromaPure lite or standard software? Or another program you recommend? Are their any real differences? I have never calibrated before and own a 65p.
CP Lite should give you a good start and I assume you'd have to pay something to license your OEM D3 - not sure of this. Other versions except Pro require a license fee for each meter. Write CP and ask. You can always upgrade later.

Tom Huffman has authored a brilliant program. CM has a lot more users because it was the first enthusiast software put on the marketplace. Me? I'll take CP every time and I have both CP Pro and CM Ultimate.

Buzz

post #4571 of 18031 Old 10-13-2014, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 11
4K Upscaling

I purchased the P70702UI-B3 yesterday unboxed and setup. 4k streaming via netflix seems to work as expected and was very good. My issue is with the upscaling that the TV "suppose" to do with standard content 1080P from my bluray or cable box it's just not working it just simply displays the signal that's being fed and does not upconvert the content. I have checked the documentation and even called Vizio support to no avail. Anyone with a P series TV that is feeding it standard content and seeing the upconversion to 4k please let me know I am looking to return the TV and pickup a Samsung 8550.

By the way if I tell my OPPO to upconvert to 4k the TV shows 4K and like wise with my Denon Receiver they both can upconvert and the TV shows the content. I only want feed back from someone that has a P series and can confirm that the TV works with the Vizio Spatial Scaling Engine (SSE).
post #4572 of 18031 Old 10-13-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
PH8TE

I know I read that, but would it not make sense, considering there is such a decoder inside and in view of the competition doing it??? All it plays via USB according to some owners is HD!!
The P55 & P60 play MKV's in HD but so far I've been unsuccessful feeding UHD MKV.

Buzz

post #4573 of 18031 Old 10-13-2014, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 7026 Post(s)
Liked: 7112
Quote:
PH8TE

Just because someone else does it, dosent mean Vizio "lied" or told any mistruths. If that content playback is important to you buy a different set. Otherwise call Vizio and report the issue, the more owners that call and report it the more likely it will be updated. Of course I seem to remember a similar conversation started by you before and you received the same answers.

I'm lost in the blue nowhere.
post #4574 of 18031 Old 10-13-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The P55 & P60 play MKV's in HD but so far I've been unsuccessful feeding UHD MKV.
I haven't yet played around with this but don't forget mkv is just a container format that has nothing to do with the codec being used. I believe it may be necessary that UHD is also encoded using h.265.
Ph8te likes this.
post #4575 of 18031 Old 10-13-2014, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamoon View Post
I purchased the P70702UI-B3 yesterday unboxed and setup. 4k streaming via netflix seems to work as expected and was very good. My issue is with the upscaling that the TV "suppose" to do with standard content 1080P from my bluray or cable box it's just not working it just simply displays the signal that's being fed and does not upconvert the content. I have checked the documentation and even called Vizio support to no avail. Anyone with a P series TV that is feeding it standard content and seeing the upconversion to 4k please let me know I am looking to return the TV and pickup a Samsung 8550.
Unless you're actually getting a postage stamp in the middle of the screen, then it's upconverting it to 4K. You may not be happy with the quality of the upconversion but that's another matter altogether.
Ph8te and mo949 like this.
post #4576 of 18031 Old 10-13-2014, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
great

We need to put all the usefull post together, theres so many post without anything usefull, it takes a long time to go through them. After I receive my 70 tomorrow I will calibrate for red first to see if I can get it right . I learned from calibrating my 70sharp that you can get different results depending on what mode and what default color temp you start with ,

Maybe a new thread after everything gets sorted out will be usefull.
post #4577 of 18031 Old 10-13-2014, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I haven't yet played around with this but don't forget mkv is just a container format that has nothing to do with the codec being used. I believe it may be necessary that UHD is also encoded using h.265.
All I'm finding are Codec: H264's

Buzz

post #4578 of 18031 Old 10-13-2014, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
So, in theory, how well is 480p content upconverted. A lot of my cherished classic movies will be no better than that. Thanks?

480p cannot be scaled to a full 1080p lines with block scaling, so pixel interpolation will be needed.

You can display 480p as a 960x1280 image in the center of the 1080 x 1920 1080p frame (with letterbox bars on all 4 sides) using 2x2 block upscaling, but that will only uses about 89% of the screen height.

So to get 480p up to 1080p, every 4x4 block of pixels has to be expanded to a 9x9 block of pixels and there are basically very few unadulterated 480p source pixels in the image and the result is often very blurry and can even appear as thought you are viewing underwater On full 1080p, only 25% of the incoming source pixels are displayed without adulteration and 95% of the displayed pixels have been calculated.

On a 2160p display, you can also display a letterbox-framed 1920 x 2360 image in the center of the 2160x3840 frame using 4x4 block upscaling, but again, that is again wasting over 10% of the screen height.

So to get 480p up to 2160p, every 2x2 block of pixels has to be expanded to a 9x9 block of pixels and while that means that 95% of the displayed pixels will again be calculated, it also means that all 100% of the incoming source pixels are displayed without adulteration, which should deliver a better result.

I have no idea what upscaling modes from 480p are supported on the Vizio P. If central letterbox-framed upscaling is supported, I would expect 1080p and 2160p to look about the same (identical in block mode, slight edge to 2160p in interpolation mode). For full-screen display, since the 2160p display will have 100% of 'true' pixels coming through while the 1080p display will have only 25% of them coming through unadulterated, I would expect it to look a bit sharper and certainly no worse than the 1080p upscaling.

So your cherished classic movies should look a bit better on a 4K display than on a 1080p display (assuming upscaling was properly engineered )
venus933 likes this.
post #4579 of 18031 Old 10-13-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1193
^seperate settings thread would be perfect.
Googer likes this.
post #4580 of 18031 Old 10-13-2014, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
All I'm finding are Codec: H264's
Yes a transcode to h.265 using something like Handbrake may be necessary. Eventually I'll get around to trying this stuff out.
post #4581 of 18031 Old 10-13-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:
P60

A few calibration tid bits.....

I did not think of mentioning it because it sticks out like sore thumb, but yes, the 70 behaves the same way at 100% white adjusting the red from 11 to 12 gets a dramatic change. There were a few other acute jumps as well along the way.

Vizio PQ 65
Vizio '14 70 P Series, Calibration settings
Samsung 55ES8000
CalMAN 5 Novice Walkthrough
Denon X4200, 5.1.4 setup. Monolith 12 Sub
post #4582 of 18031 Old 10-13-2014, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
I would like to echo this request. I am going to buy a P70 shortly and even though I have read every post in this thread, it is very difficult to sort out the key actions to take to get the maximum result from these sets. Perhaps it could be organized by type of original panel as they seem to have different tuning needs.

I can easily add a links section in the lead post for each specific P Series size and add links to specific posts or whatever. I just cannot wade through all of these posts to decide what specific posts or information are important enough to be linked to in that way, so individual members (and probably owners of specific P Series sizes) need to collect the information they believe is important to call out for their specific size and I will cut and paste the information.

It seems to me like the new 'system' has lost something as far as easily linking to specific posts, so someone may need to instruct me on how to do that.

For calibration specifically, Buzz has reserved post 2 & 3 for calibration information, so it would probably make more sense for him to organize and structure that specific subject (if he is willing to ).
post #4583 of 18031 Old 10-13-2014, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Oh crap! I forgot to add an important part of the P60 Grayscale workflow in post 4562. It's in red color as an "edit to add".

Sorry about that....

Buzz

Last edited by buzzard767; 10-13-2014 at 11:00 AM.
post #4584 of 18031 Old 10-13-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes a transcode to h.265 using something like Handbrake may be necessary. Eventually I'll get around to trying this stuff out.
I have handbrake and will give it a shot.

Buzz

post #4585 of 18031 Old 10-13-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
^seperate settings thread would be perfect.

They're all being referenced on page one already.
venus933 likes this.

Buzz

post #4586 of 18031 Old 10-13-2014, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
CP Lite should give you a good start and I assume you'd have to pay something to license your OEM D3 - not sure of this. Other versions except Pro require a license fee for each meter. Write CP and ask. You can always upgrade later.

Tom Huffman has authored a brilliant program. CM has a lot more users because it was the first enthusiast software put on the marketplace. Me? I'll take CP every time and I have both CP Pro and CM Ultimate.

Is Tom Huffman the author of HFCR? And if not, then what is the name of that brilliant program?

Have you used HFCR and if so, do you think it's good enough for a newbie to get started with an i1DisplayPro?

What's attractive to me about the HFCR/i1DisplayPro combination is that you can get started for $250 and if you decide HFCR is not cutting it, you have an upgrade path to get Chromapure for $100-200 and even have your i1DisplayPro calibrated for another $175 if you decide you need the additional accuracy...

p.s. I realize that this post is somewhat OT, but I for one think it is fantastic that we have several experienced calibrators contributing to this P Series thread
post #4587 of 18031 Old 10-13-2014, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

HEVC complexity

I video our vacation trips in 4K and edit on Power Director 13. Always at best PQ level.

Producing 1 minute of 264 MP4 4K video takes about 3 minutes.No visible PQ defects

Producing 1 minute of 265 HEVC 4K video takes about 18 minutes in fast mode. Some very minorPQ defects

Producing 1 minute of 265 HEVC 4K video takes about 55 minutes in Hi Q mode.No visible PQ defects

Reduction in storage space 264 versus 265 is about 50%, at 35 Mb in best PQ setting.

My computer is a i7920 2.67 Ghz, not the fastest, but regardless of computer, the 264/265 rendering ratios will not change much.

This illustrates the amount of compression that HEVC needs, forget about simple conversion in handbrake etc.

Eugene
jenix likes this.

Last edited by Eugene157; 10-13-2014 at 11:23 AM.
post #4588 of 18031 Old 10-13-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 129
In my time with the 70" p series I did REALLY like the 120hz setting from a computer. Playback of 1080p24 movies from media browser at that exact high frame multiple looked superb with much enhanced motion resolution without any artificial SOE. BUT... I didn't like the upscaling quality. Does Vizio or anyone else have a 1080p set that has this 120hz setting?
post #4589 of 18031 Old 10-13-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Is Tom Huffman the author of HFCR? And if not, then what is the name of that brilliant program?

Have you used HFCR and if so, do you think it's good enough for a newbie to get started with an i1DisplayPro?

What's attractive to me about the HFCR/i1DisplayPro combination is that you can get started for $250 and if you decide HFCR is not cutting it, you have an upgrade path to get Chromapure for $100-200 and even have your i1DisplayPro calibrated for another $175 if you decide you need the additional accuracy...

p.s. I realize that this post is somewhat OT, but I for one think it is fantastic that we have several experienced calibrators contributing to this P Series thread
Tom Huffman is Chromapure's author IIRC. I've used HCFR in the past (not recently though, just before the current fork of it that in theory has added some more advanced features) and found it to work pretty well but I had to abandon it since it couldn't use my EyeOne Pro in ambient / diffuser mode which I wanted to do for projector calibration.

So I got CalMAN 4 with the minimum license needed to support it at the time, which wasn't all that expensive (something like $150 total for CalMAN standard plus the expanded license for the meter). Then when CalMAN 5 came out, they upgraded me all the way to enthusiast license since it was the only one at the time that supported that meter. That worked out nicely since that also got me 3D LUT support for the Lumagen Radiance Mini3D I'd acquired in the meantime as well. Then at another point they had some insane special on a SpectraCal C6 (their branded version of a D3) so I have one of them as well that I'm using for my calibrations after profiling it every calibration session to the Eye One.

So at this point I'm well-invested in the CalMAN side without actually outlaying all that much in doing so. I'd like to play around with Chromapure at some point but I can't justify paying any $$$ to do so. Perhaps when SpectraCal wants me to fork over more money to upgrade to CalMAN 6 or whatever is on the horizon I'll consider it at that time...
fafrd and MARS08 like this.

Last edited by Googer; 10-13-2014 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Broke into a few paragraphs
post #4590 of 18031 Old 10-13-2014, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post
In my time with the 70" p series I did REALLY like the 120hz setting from a computer. Playback of 1080p24 movies from media browser at that exact high frame multiple looked superb with much enhanced motion resolution without any artificial SOE. BUT... I didn't like the upscaling quality. Does Vizio or anyone else have a 1080p set that has this 120hz setting?

I believe the Vizio M is also a 120Hz panel that supports a 5:5 pulldown true cinema mode...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page