***Official 2014 Vizio P Series Owner's Thread - Page 162 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4644Likes

post #4831 of 18021 Old 10-15-2014, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello everyone, I just purchased a P552UI-B2 from Best Buy and the experience hasn't gone too well. The first one had a cracked screen out of the box with a bad spiderweb look. I took it back and exchanged it for another which I calibrated with buzz's settings and It looks great except when displaying a black background It has flash lighting around the bottom right corner and possibly the others though the other corners appear to change depending on the viewing angle. The bottom right also has what appears to be a bad light leak. While it doesn't affect viewing I believe it may be related, I rubbed gently along the sides to see it I noticed a changed and heard many pop and light snapping sounds as if either the frame or screen was not properly seated but did not observe any difference on the screen. The right speaker also has a very light static sound when the volume is near 25 or above that the left does not produce. I'll post some pictures of the screen problems later tonight.

My question is, is it worth exchanging and hoping I'll get one without any problems or are these issues normal for this set and panel? I've been contemplating taking it back and getting a XBR55X850B or saving towards a XBR55X900B as I've had good experiences with Sony in the past though I'm worried the black levels might not be as satisfying on the 850B. I use the set mostly for PC, PS4 gaming and some blu-ray but don't really watch cable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4832 of 18021 Old 10-15-2014, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahwig60 View Post
how do i get this test video el fuente
It's on Netflix.
post #4833 of 18021 Old 10-15-2014, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
What is your internet speed? This could be related to your connection choking and not being able to display the 4k stream.

Sent from an system/360
I will echo this. 4K was definitley not blurry on my P70. My internet download speeds are 15mbs and it looked sharp. I believe 15mbs is probably towards the lower end if not even the minimum you should have for 4K. Anything higher will obviously yield even better results but lower might cause some issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4834 of 18021 Old 10-15-2014, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have read through most of this thread and, unfortunately, a lot of the tech talk goes way over my head. Would appreciate your opinions on the 65" vs 70" however here is some background information first:
  • Replacing a Sony 50" DLP
  • Viewing distance = 10-11 feet
  • Location = basement with no natural light
  • Primary use = 80% console gaming and 20% movie/TV viewing
  • Viewing angle is a concern as I have 1 spot that is pretty much on center; the other seats' viewing angle probably ranges from 20-30 degrees though I'm no mathematician
  • Good color and deep blacks are important too
  • I don't have any 4K media currently
I know it is recommended to get the largest TV you can afford based on your viewing distance. So, I'm interested in the Vizio P series 65" or 70". Based on my criteria above, which would be the best choice? My biggest concern is viewing angle and it seems all of the P series may have poor viewing angles. As far as colors/black levels, is there a big difference between the 65 and 70?

Finally, my other choice is the Sony W850B 70". It also has a low lag time and better viewing angles than the P series (based on Rtings.com). I don't think I'll see any of the 4K benefits due to my viewing distance? So maybe the Sony is the best choice? It is cheaper too at Best Buy with the mover's coupon.

Thanks all!
post #4835 of 18021 Old 10-15-2014, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by elrad59 View Post
Hello everyone, I just purchased a P552UI-B2 from Best Buy and the experience hasn't gone too well. The first one had a cracked screen out of the box with a bad spiderweb look. I took it back and exchanged it for another which I calibrated with buzz's settings and It looks great except when displaying a black background It has flash lighting around the bottom right corner and possibly the others though the other corners appear to change depending on the viewing angle. The bottom right also has what appears to be a bad light leak. While it doesn't affect viewing I believe it may be related, I rubbed gently along the sides to see it I noticed a changed and heard many pop and light snapping sounds as if either the frame or screen was not properly seated but did not observe any difference on the screen. The right speaker also has a very light static sound when the volume is near 25 or above that the left does not produce. I'll post some pictures of the screen problems later tonight.

My question is, is it worth exchanging and hoping I'll get one without any problems or are these issues normal for this set and panel? I've been contemplating taking it back and getting a XBR55X850B or saving towards a XBR55X900B as I've had good experiences with Sony in the past though I'm worried the black levels might not be as satisfying on the 850B. I use the set mostly for PC, PS4 gaming and some blu-ray but don't really watch cable.
I think your flashlighting and light leakage has been well documented in this thread to be pretty common on the 55". Other sizes do not display this problem but I have read numerous people complaining about the bottom right of the 55" panels.
Ph8te likes this.
post #4836 of 18021 Old 10-15-2014, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post
I think your flashlighting and light leakage has been well documented in this thread to be pretty common on the 55". Other sizes do not display this problem but I have read numerous people complaining about the bottom right of the 55" panels.
I'd recommend upgrading to the P60. Bigger is always better!
post #4837 of 18021 Old 10-15-2014, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahwig60 View Post
got my vizio 70 in set up i put blacklist on netflix 4k , i did upgrade my netflix to the 11.99 plan for 4 k and the picture is not sharp and clear , on the blurry side, can anyone help me to fix it
How are you connecting to NF? Either let the tv do it or connect via HDMI 5. I think only HDMI 5 will do 4K.
post #4838 of 18021 Old 10-15-2014, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
That's what I was saying. There is a dedicated thread for the P series on the hardforums. They may have more detailed information regarding how to set the TV.

Sent from an system/360
That thread is here. Just FYI.
Ph8te likes this.
post #4839 of 18021 Old 10-15-2014, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooter View Post
I have read through most of this thread and, unfortunately, a lot of the tech talk goes way over my head. Would appreciate your opinions on the 65" vs 70" however here is some background information first:

• Replacing a Sony 50" DLP
  • Viewing distance = 10-11 feet
  • Location = basement with no natural light
  • Primary use = 80% console gaming and 20% movie/TV viewing
  • Viewing angle is a concern as I have 1 spot that is pretty much on center; the other seats' viewing angle probably ranges from 20-30 degrees though I'm no mathematician
  • Good color and deep blacks are important too
  • I don't have any 4K media currently
I know it is recommended to get the largest TV you can afford based on your viewing distance. So, I'm interested in the Vizio P series 65" or 70". Based on my criteria above, which would be the best choice? My biggest concern is viewing angle and it seems all of the P series may have poor viewing angles. As far as colors/black levels, is there a big difference between the 65 and 70?

Finally, my other choice is the Sony W850B 70". It also has a low lag time and better viewing angles than the P series (based on Rtings.com). I don't think I'll see any of the 4K benefits due to my viewing distance? So maybe the Sony is the best choice? It is cheaper too at Best Buy with the mover's coupon.

Thanks all!
I have a P70 in a similar situation as you describe. Viewing distance 10 feet with a row of three chairs and a second row around 14 feet. In the front row you can tell the difference between 1080p and 4k. I am very happy with the viewing angles, black levels, color and brightness.
post #4840 of 18021 Old 10-15-2014, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtl46 View Post
You can see some weird stuff on 4K in that area, at least you can on Blacklist. I need to try some other 4K content. Also, I have now tried to access Netflix directly from the tv via a wireless connection and it doesn't work even though it says I am connected. I does work on a wired network. I cannot see any settings that I am missing. Anyone have this problem?
Got the wireless working, just had to reset the modem even though the rest of my wireless devices were working.
This tv definitely has an issue with 4K material. All 4K content has a narrow greenish line on the right side next to the bezel. It comes and goes scene by scene. Check it out people and let me know if you see it. It by no means ruins the pq but it is there. Almost like the bezel is too narrow.
post #4841 of 18021 Old 10-15-2014, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 47
This will test your speed

https://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Eugene
post #4842 of 18021 Old 10-15-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene157 View Post
This will test your speed

https://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Eugene
.. 2nd test:

http://www.cnet.com/internet-speed-test/
post #4843 of 18021 Old 10-15-2014, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lankness View Post
I spoke with them twice and provided pictures to them. The first go round I provided a picture of the non-uniformity on a solid white background (same that is in this thready). They stated that a solid screen isn't expected to be uniform and that it was normal. So I politely mentioned that you could see it in live feeds as well and sent them a picture of the football game (also in this thread) showing the hotspots. They called me back and stated they were setting up a replacement. From start to finish, it took 4 days - started on chat, got a suggestion, tried that out for a day and failed, chatted again on day 3, asked for pics, received a call, provided more pics, received a call on day 4 stating it would be replaced. Their customer support has been great and easy to work with.
I just got my replacement approved today. I agree they have been easy to work with. They told me it was a backlight not syncing correctly issue when toggling between CA "on" and "off."
post #4844 of 18021 Old 10-15-2014, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does anyone know what kind of pricing to expect for the Vizio Reference Series?
post #4845 of 18021 Old 10-15-2014, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisAZ02 View Post
I just got my replacement approved today. I agree they have been easy to work with. They told me it was a backlight not syncing correctly issue when toggling between CA "on" and "off."
Good to hear, this is one more reason why I am leaning towards a Vizio, their customer service and return policy sounds good. I seem to be reading more and more good reviews about the P70 which is what I am interested in.
With regards to internet speed, based upon a few tests, mine ranges from 15-17 Mbs...does this qualify for 4k content...it is not exact, it bounces down to 14 or so but mostly stays near 16 each time I run the test.
post #4846 of 18021 Old 10-15-2014, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvwahoo View Post
Good to hear, this is one more reason why I am leaning towards a Vizio, their customer service and return policy sounds good. I seem to be reading more and more good reviews about the P70 which is what I am interested in.
With regards to internet speed, based upon a few tests, mine ranges from 15-17 Mbs...does this qualify for 4k content...it is not exact, it bounces down to 14 or so but mostly stays near 16 each time I run the test.
I just searched google because I was curious about the WAN speed requirements for streaming 4k, this is what Netflix says but other users who actually use it might have a better answer.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/13444
dancinbear likes this.

Last edited by SandstormGT; 10-15-2014 at 03:04 PM.
post #4847 of 18021 Old 10-15-2014, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
One more thing I was wondering if anyone had noticed: With my P55, sometimes the voices are hard to hear (almost as if the "center speaker" was at a low level, if I'm comparing it to my old 5.1 system.) I can't have a proper sound system in my apartment, so I'm limited to TV speakers, unfortunately. I played with the levels in the sound settings, but it still hasn't gotten much better. Has anyone run into this problem as well?
post #4848 of 18021 Old 10-15-2014, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 2104 Post(s)
Liked: 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIAChamp View Post
Does anyone know what kind of pricing to expect for the Vizio Reference Series?
There have been lots of discussions about it and you may find more current info in the dedicated Vizio R threads. General consensus seems to be around $4000 +/- $500
post #4849 of 18021 Old 10-15-2014, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6648 Post(s)
Liked: 6467
Quote:
Originally Posted by aguptaweb View Post
One more thing I was wondering if anyone had noticed: With my P55, sometimes the voices are hard to hear (almost as if the "center speaker" was at a low level, if I'm comparing it to my old 5.1 system.) I can't have a proper sound system in my apartment, so I'm limited to TV speakers, unfortunately. I played with the levels in the sound settings, but it still hasn't gotten much better. Has anyone run into this problem as well?

You can't compare TV speakers to a proper 5.1 system there just is no comparison. TV speakers are basic of basic usually. What you may need to get is a soundbar or even a small 3 speaker system.

Sent from an system/360
post #4850 of 18021 Old 10-15-2014, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm not sure if my set is/was a fluke, but I don't have any of the light leakage or flashlighting others mentioned previously with the P55. The speakers are mediocre at best, I'm not sure there's much you can do about it other than pair the TV with a soundbar.
post #4851 of 18021 Old 10-15-2014, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
You can't compare TV speakers to a proper 5.1 system there just is no comparison. TV speakers are basic of basic usually. What you may need to get is a soundbar or even a small 3 speaker system.

Sent from an system/360
I know, I didn't mean to say that I was comparing the TV speakers to my old system. What I meant was that I know that voices usually come from the center speaker in a 5.1 setup, and it sounds almost like the equivalent of that speaker is missing from my TV or playing at a lower volume.
As I mentioned before, I can't get any sort of external speakers in my apartment for my current setup, so I guess the sounds will have to stay as is, or I'll just have to play with the levels some more and bump the mids so I can head voices more clearly.
post #4852 of 18021 Old 10-15-2014, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6648 Post(s)
Liked: 6467
Quote:
I know, I didn't mean to say that I was comparing the TV speakers to my old system. What I meant was that I know that voices usually come from the center speaker in a 5.1 setup, and it sounds almost like the equivalent of that speaker is missing from my TV or playing at a lower volume.

As I mentioned before, I can't get any sort of external speakers in my apartment for my current setup, so I guess the sounds will have to stay as is, or I'll just have to play with the levels some more and bump the mids so I can head voices more clearly.

You'll also want to check the audio settings of your source device. Make sure they are still not set up for 5.1 output

Sent from an system/360
post #4853 of 18021 Old 10-15-2014, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Well my Vizio was just loaded on the truck to go back to amazon 20 minutes ago.

Really pisses me off Vizio released this as an HDMI 2.0 TV. What a crock of ****, HDMI 2.0 specifications @ HDMI 1.4 bandwidth does not make it HDMI 2.0.
CoolGreenBeans likes this.
post #4854 of 18021 Old 10-15-2014, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xevious View Post

Really pisses me off Vizio released this as an HDMI 2.0 TV. What a crock of ****, HDMI 2.0 specifications @ HDMI 1.4 bandwidth does not make it HDMI 2.0.
Let me guess, you are trying to use this as a computer monitor? Right? And it's probably crippled because of HDCP 2.2.
post #4855 of 18021 Old 10-15-2014, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Are there any pictures of a TV disassembled? I want to ensure the wireless card is detachable before I purchase one. I've taken the card out of 2 e-series TVs previously, and I imagine it is roughly the same hardware internally, but any assurances would be great to have.
post #4856 of 18021 Old 10-15-2014, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 1193
Quote:

Are you saying it can't meet HDMI 2.0 specs? I thought that was necessary for 4k at the higher framerates though?
post #4857 of 18021 Old 10-15-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisymbol View Post
Let me guess, you are trying to use this as a computer monitor? Right? And it's probably crippled because of HDCP 2.2.
If it doesn't do HDMI 2.0 bandwidth I don't see how they can advertise it as being HDMI 2.0.

Yes I am trying to use it as a monitor/4k display for gaming/usage.

Going to try to say but its not meant for that? That is the weakest excuse ever...

It has a port that is even labeled as '4k/60Hz' well with my HDMI 2.0 hardware and my OS which does NOT support low-bandwidth ycbcr420 (My OS/drivers only support ycbcr444) mean that I can't get 60Hz at all. It would be one thing if it at least accepted the signal and down-sampled it but it strait out doesn't take HDMI 2.0 spec modes.
BFJ 96 and CoolGreenBeans like this.
post #4858 of 18021 Old 10-15-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
Are you saying it can't meet HDMI 2.0 specs? I thought that was necessary for 4k at the higher framerates though?
Correct. It will not do 60Hz 4k at ycbcr444. It will only do it at ycbcr420; which by the way, I have only acheived using a laptop with an old kepler (gt 650m) graphics card which is only HDMI 1.4.
mo949 likes this.
post #4859 of 18021 Old 10-15-2014, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 1193
Quote:
If it doesn't do HDMI 2.0 bandwidth I don't see how they can advertise it as being HDMI 2.0.

Yes I am trying to use it as a monitor/4k display for gaming/usage.

Going to try to say but its not meant for that? That is the weakest excuse ever...

It has a port that is even labeled as '4k/60Hz' well with my HDMI 2.0 hardware and my OS which does NOT support low-bandwidth ycbcr420 (My OS/drivers only support ycbcr444) mean that I can't get 60Hz at all. It would be one thing if it at least accepted the signal and down-sampled it but it strait out doesn't take HDMI 2.0 spec modes.
thanks for that - I'd been wondering if this would be a good set as a monitor ever since Imagic's review on this site mentioned it would be a great candidate for a monitor.
post #4860 of 18021 Old 10-15-2014, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
How do I output audio from my TV to my AVR? I see HDMI port #1 is labeled as Audio out, I have an HDMI cable attached to my AVR from that output but there's no audio coming over to the AVR. Any ideas?

I have my AVR attached to HDMI 5 as input. I want to output audio from broadcast TV to the DVR. I could get an optical digital cable if necessary, but if I could just do with what I already have, that would be perfect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page