***Official 2014 Vizio P Series Owner's Thread - Page 172 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4643Likes

post #5131 of 18017 Old 10-18-2014, 03:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked: 2459
Quote:
Originally Posted by avstaku View Post
I need a program for dummies
Calibration For Dummies

Buzz
THX Certified Level II Video Calibrator

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5132 of 18017 Old 10-18-2014, 03:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Has anyone compared the Vizio P series to the Sony XBR-850A? If using picture quality as the main judge, which is better?
post #5133 of 18017 Old 10-18-2014, 03:56 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
I actually read and followed that whole thing. Over the course of 4 hours nothing i could do resulted in anywhere near perfect numbers. I tried so many different numbers that after a while it got semi close to the rgb "numbers" but then i did the % looking between red, green and blue and it wasn't close to 100/100/100. I cant win They need a button that tries all the combos for you or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5134 of 18017 Old 10-18-2014, 05:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by master9716 View Post
Parks and Recreations Season 5 looks 4k-ish on Netflix running from the TV. Therefore everything else looks better than you are used to. I was shocked how good it looked and remember it not looking this good on a 1080p tv. So I did some comparison tests with the same P70 just under different Netflix apps on HDMI5 , windows 8.1 app

Anyone know if its doing upscalling? 1080i content from cable has no improvement on quality but swap over to Netflix and you can see a huge difference. Some scenes looked as good as "The black list ''

I would like to figure out why it looks so much better on the Vizio Netflix app. If its doing upscaling then the catalog of high quality picture on Netflix just went up big time. Old shows didn't look as good so im thinking just shows that have that super HD feature will.
Cable boxes may not be giving you the best upscaling possible. In the case of Netflix, you are seeing a "pure" signal coming in that is then worked on (if needed) by the Vizio.

One thing that may help the cable signal is if the cable box has a "native" output, set that as your choice. Some don't (I have the Comcast X1 and that does not have it). What this does is to take the cable box out of the upscaling business.

The cable box takes the signal as it comes in (480p, 720p, 1080i) and simply rebroadcasts it to its output. That lets the Vizio do the upscaling of a signal untouched by other processing.

In the Oppo threads, since the Oppo 10X's can take an incoming signal and process it, the preferred way of dealing with cable signals is exactly that. No reason why the Vizio wouldn't benefit from the same.
post #5135 of 18017 Old 10-18-2014, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by modenaf1123 View Post
Those are standards of Wifi protocol that have evolved over the years. Wireless G had a theoretical max of 54mbps, Wireless N is a standard that came after and is what most devices today are on, it has slightly higher speeds and range. Wireless AC is the newest standard that is just coming out (and supported on the P-Series) which offers big improvements in range and speed. It also runs on the relatively un-used 5GHz radio spectrum vs 2.4GHz for wireless N and G which has the potential for a lot of radio interference from other things (other people's networks, microwave ovens, etc.). The Apple Airport Express is Wireless G and N only.
Any thoughts on why my laptop is getting 49.12 dl speed and the 70P is showing 13.94, wired is not any better? The (WD n600) is right next to the tv.
post #5136 of 18017 Old 10-18-2014, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6280 Post(s)
Liked: 5920
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
Before we give each other high fives because one owner thought the only advantage the F8500 has over the P60 is viewing angles perhaps it should be pointed out that the F8500 handily won every PQ attribute except for Day Mode (obviously this mode signifies a well lit room but not to the extent of a sun drench room) and it even won that category but just by a little bit against the FALD televisions from Sony and Samsung at the 2014 HDTV Shootout.

Either Vizio with the P series pulled some rabbit out of the hat or those with supposedly impressive credentials are not mistaken with their opinion that the ZT60/VT60/F8500 will outperform any current FALD television in every meaningful PQ attribute except for resolution (but not motion resolution).

Obviously the TV with the best PQ is not necessarily the best TV as there are multiple factors in determining the later such as a room facing south with a huge window(s).

Who's giving high fives? All I have seen are people taking that "one members" report as just that "one members report". Not sure why some people think there is a need for some type of "reality check" as there is plenty evidence that these TVs DONT work for everyone. Now because one member preferred his TV over the plasma he had it seems people are going to take issue with it. In the end who really gives a flying feather. It's one member and one member only. There is more than one meme bet who went from P series BACK to Plasma and found that (Plasma) superior. I guess we should dismiss those and post in their owners thread that it was "one members opinion" and really doesn't count. If anything people have been steering other members to the f8500 multiple times when asked to compare the two. Just makes me scratch my head that se people need to post things like this.

Quote:
I actually read and followed that whole thing. Over the course of 4 hours nothing i could do resulted in anywhere near perfect numbers. I tried so many different numbers that after a while it got semi close to the rgb "numbers" but then i did the % looking between red, green and blue and it wasn't close to 100/100/100. I cant win They need a button that tries all the combos for you or something.

4 hours is nothing especially for a beginner. I would expect a full weekend at minimum unless the TV is easy to calibrate. I believe it took Buzz 10 hours and he has years of experience and much better equipment. Also you should NOT be seeking perfection or you will be chasing the dragon for a long time. What you instead need to find is a "happy" middle ground and go for that. What you are trying to get is something accurate as possible not perfect and your 1st few runs until you figure out the controls will probably end up bad. It may be best to watch that techtv video calibrations Leo's OLED. That will walk you through basics. Once you got the basics down I would then try calibrating again. When you run into issues go to the P series calibration thread and ask detailed questions about what you are seeing.

Sent from an system/360
sjackel likes this.
post #5137 of 18017 Old 10-18-2014, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildh View Post
What is the basic difference between the sharp 60"panel and the 65" AUO? BB had the 65" on display and it looked really good. I was hoping to get a 60"....just wondering if there are significant differences.
BB's newspaper Sunday supplement has an ad and photo of the P65.
post #5138 of 18017 Old 10-18-2014, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
4 hours is nothing especially for a beginner. I would expect a full weekend at minimum unless the TV is easy to calibrate. I believe it took Buzz 10 hours and he has years of experience and much better equipment. Also you should NOT be seeking perfection or you will be chasing the dragon for a long time. What you instead need to find is a "happy" middle ground and go for that. What you are trying to get is something accurate as possible not perfect and your 1st few runs until you figure out the controls will probably end up bad. It may be best to watch that techtv video calibrations Leo's OLED. That will walk you through basics. Once you got the basics down I would then try calibrating again. When you run into issues go to the P series calibration thread and ask detailed questions about what you are seeing.

Sent from an system/360
Yes and as of just a minute ago I tried to update it with all of the links provided in this thread as well as some links of where to purchase a couple of the intro meters. Please head over and take a look everyone. As i said before this is my first time trying to start a thread so be nice haha as i figure out better ways to link information it will be updated.
post #5139 of 18017 Old 10-18-2014, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Review of the P70 vs the M65...
I have recently purchased the P70 for my viewing room in my house I also have the M65 in my living room. Some of you are interested in the differences noticed and if it is worth the additional cost.
I have not completed my calibration of the unit yet so this is just an initial review. I will update the post once I finish calibration. Note that the two tvs are in separate rooms so this review is based on going back and forth between rooms and comparing the same content. This is just going to be a quick straight to the point review as I will provide a more detailed review later once I calibrate the P70

Black levels:
The M65 has pretty good black levels given the FALD dimming, however with the increase of dimming zones with the P series it is definitely improved. Blacks still seem a little crushed on both the M65 and P70 but after calibration I will report back to inform you if this is just an artifact of the dimming scheme or lack of calibration.

Color:
I cant really comment on this yet as I have not finished my calibration but out of the box it is clear that both the M65 and P70 are a good bit off in terms of color accuracy. The P70 does in fact have the red push, however it is not a big deal at all. I would say that 90 percent of users would never even notice it. The other 10 percent would only notice it if they are a calibrator themselves or have been keeping up with this forum and try to pick apart the picture. seriously not a big issue at all.

Viewing angles:
This was my main concern for the 60 and 70" P series. The colors do hold slightly better on the M65 but the P70 viewing angles are much much better than I was thinking after reading this forum. Do not let it scare you away. The M60 I had previously was much worse in terms of viewing angles than the P70. I cannot comment on the P60 as I have yet to see one but the P70 viewing angles work for me just fine. Even when viewing from my kitchen (approximately a 60 degree angle) the picture is still very watchable. Of course you can notice a difference but its not the end of the world.

4k vs 1080P
I played blacklist on both tvs in order to do this review. The picture quality even though the P70 is not calibrated was much better on the P than the M. I am sitting 14 feet back from the P70 and can still easily see that there is an increase of sharpness in the tv.

Conclusion: While the M series is a great budget tv that provides exceptional picture quality for the price I have to say the P is the clear winner. Is it worth the premium in price? ABSOLUTELY If you are considering the M vs P then I highly recommend that if you can afford it to go ahead and get the P series. If you have any specifit questions let me know and I will update the post with my answer. Also remember this is a very quick review I will provide a more detailed review once I level the playing field.
fafrd, Ph8te, pilgrimpete and 4 others like this.
post #5140 of 18017 Old 10-18-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Just to confirm the new p series can do 4k 4:2:2 60hz just not 4k 4:4:4 60hz?
post #5141 of 18017 Old 10-18-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2365 Post(s)
Liked: 1941
Quote:
Originally Posted by superkyle View Post
Review of the P70 vs the M65...
I have recently purchased the P70 for my viewing room in my house I also have the M65 in my living room. Some of you are interested in the differences noticed and if it is worth the additional cost.
I have not completed my calibration of the unit yet so this is just an initial review. I will update the post once I finish calibration. Note that the two tvs are in separate rooms so this review is based on going back and forth between rooms and comparing the same content. This is just going to be a quick straight to the point review as I will provide a more detailed review later once I calibrate the P70

Black levels:
The M65 has pretty good black levels given the FALD dimming, however with the increase of dimming zones with the P series it is definitely improved. Blacks still seem a little crushed on both the M65 and P70 but after calibration I will report back to inform you if this is just an artifact of the dimming scheme or lack of calibration.

Color:
I cant really comment on this yet as I have not finished my calibration but out of the box it is clear that both the M65 and P70 are a good bit off in terms of color accuracy. The P70 does in fact have the red push, however it is not a big deal at all. I would say that 90 percent of users would never even notice it. The other 10 percent would only notice it if they are a calibrator themselves or have been keeping up with this forum and try to pick apart the picture. seriously not a big issue at all.

Viewing angles:
This was my main concern for the 60 and 70" P series. The colors do hold slightly better on the M65 but the P70 viewing angles are much much better than I was thinking after reading this forum. Do not let it scare you away. The M60 I had previously was much worse in terms of viewing angles than the P70. I cannot comment on the P60 as I have yet to see one but the P70 viewing angles work for me just fine. Even when viewing from my kitchen (approximately a 60 degree angle) the picture is still very watchable. Of course you can notice a difference but its not the end of the world.

4k vs 1080P
I played blacklist on both tvs in order to do this review. The picture quality even though the P70 is not calibrated was much better on the P than the M. I am sitting 14 feet back from the P70 and can still easily see that there is an increase of sharpness in the tv.

Conclusion: While the M series is a great budget tv that provides exceptional picture quality for the price I have to say the P is the clear winner. Is it worth the premium in price? ABSOLUTELY If you are considering the M vs P then I highly recommend that if you can afford it to go ahead and get the P series. If you have any specifit questions let me know and I will update the post with my answer. Also remember this is a very quick review I will provide a more detailed review once I level the playing field.
Thanks for your observations. I would appreciate any observations on comparisons between the two sets with 480p/DVD and 720/1080i and 1080p content. Thanks!
videobruce likes this.

LG 65B8 - Primary
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Sonos Playbase
MS Xbox One S (using strictly as a disk player)
post #5142 of 18017 Old 10-18-2014, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 132
http://www.divx.com/en/hevc-showcase

The Kaz and Shane O'Neil videos here work on the Vizio. Just right click the icons at the bottom and select "save link as".
Ph8te and SandstormGT like this.
post #5143 of 18017 Old 10-18-2014, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Does the P-Series upscale automatically? I thought it did.

But when I connect my PS4 -> HDMI5 on the P502uiB1 info says its still 1080p. Does anyone else see that?

Last edited by pisymbol; 10-18-2014 at 09:04 AM.
post #5144 of 18017 Old 10-18-2014, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6280 Post(s)
Liked: 5920
Quote:
Originally Posted by pisymbol View Post

But when I connect my PS4 -> HDMI5 on the P502uiB1 info says its still 1080p. Does anyone else see that?

It doesn't display what the TV is displaying it displays what the source is sending to the TV (at least this is usually how it works with other TVs). The TV itself is upscaling to UHD. If your input was sending "4k" that's what it would display. Try a 4k clip via USB and check again

Sent from an system/360
post #5145 of 18017 Old 10-18-2014, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

Every fixed pixel TV upscales or downscales to the panels native resolution.
post #5146 of 18017 Old 10-18-2014, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
4 hours later and calibrating the P65. Followed all the guides i could find for HCFR and welp....got nowhere did a ****ton of changes and there was never a good 100%/100%/100% balance sigh. I need a program for dummies that works for xrite ipro3 OEM or someone to trade my chromapure calibrated OEM version for a retail version.
You don't have to get perfect 100%
post #5147 of 18017 Old 10-18-2014, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I know this question has been asked somewhere in this thread, so I apologize in advance for asking it again.

I had a 70P with the dark clouding issues and vizio replaced it. No muss, no fuss.

But right before they came and got it, I noticed that sometimes I'd see a small line, probably only a pixel or two wide, start at the middle of the screen and rise to almost the top and then stop. The line looks like two pixel's worth of static, stretched across the width of the screen.

When it stops moving near the top, everything below the line is fine, and everything above is ghosting, as if it's a frame or two ahead or behind.

I thought, oh well, you're getting a new one anyway and didn't say anything. But now my new one is doing it too. It only happens occasionally, and when it happens, it happens on every input. I've swapped inputs and cables to no avail, so I think it's screen related.

I thought I read a post awhile ago from someone else with this issue. Thoughts? Could it just be a HDMI handshake issue that affects every input? TIA!
post #5148 of 18017 Old 10-18-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked: 2459
Quote:
Originally Posted by AhhYes View Post
I thought, oh well, you're getting a new one anyway and didn't say anything. But now my new one is doing it too. It only happens occasionally, and when it happens, it happens on every input. I've swapped inputs and cables to no avail, so I think it's screen related.

I thought I read a post awhile ago from someone else with this issue. Thoughts? Could it just be a HDMI handshake issue that affects every input? TIA!
Good question. It might have something to do with varying input resolutions on the 70, and maybe the 60 and 50 as well. Do the thread a favor: The next time you see it, switch to some other program source and see if you are still getting it. Then switch back and tell us what you see.

Thanks for your observation.

Buzz
THX Certified Level II Video Calibrator

post #5149 of 18017 Old 10-18-2014, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
P70 directly from Vizio

I just ordered by P70 directly from Vizio. Has anyone else ordered from them and if so how long did it take for delivery?

Thanks,
Don
post #5150 of 18017 Old 10-18-2014, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AhhYes View Post
I know this question has been asked somewhere in this thread, so I apologize in advance for asking it again.

I had a 70P with the dark clouding issues and vizio replaced it. No muss, no fuss.

But right before they came and got it, I noticed that sometimes I'd see a small line, probably only a pixel or two wide, start at the middle of the screen and rise to almost the top and then stop. The line looks like two pixel's worth of static, stretched across the width of the screen.

When it stops moving near the top, everything below the line is fine, and everything above is ghosting, as if it's a frame or two ahead or behind.

I have the same issue with my 55", very frequently. Switching HDMI ports and back in the menu a few times usually works.
That being said, I became a Panasonic AX800 owner last night, sorry guys. I really, really wanted the Viz to work for my needs, but not being able to get 4K/60 over a PC really hurt it. It goes back to Costco today.

The Panny did it right out of the box.
post #5151 of 18017 Old 10-18-2014, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
This thread will be a month old tomorrow and there are already over 5000 posts. That's amazing.
And 4,500 are either immaterial, not relevant, questions that have been asked before, computer & Internet questions and my favorite; "I'm getting mine tomorrow" or I just ordered mine.
Eugene157 likes this.

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #5152 of 18017 Old 10-18-2014, 10:47 AM
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 425 Post(s)
Quoted: 8812 Post(s)
Liked: 15472
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
And 4,500 are either immaterial, not relevant, questions that have been asked before, computer & Internet questions and my favorite; "I'm getting mine tomorrow" or I just ordered mine.
That's what searches and ignore lists are for. The alternative is censorship, which is anathema to a public forum.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #5153 of 18017 Old 10-18-2014, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
on my M series 47" picture is nice and sharp on nbc, cbs, abc, i have verizon fios cable, Why doesn't my 70" P series have just as good a picture or better?
post #5154 of 18017 Old 10-18-2014, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahwig60 View Post
on my M series 47" picture is nice and sharp on nbc, cbs, abc, i have verizon fios cable, Why doesn't my 70" P series have just as good a picture or better?
You see the flaws in the picture on a 70" screen a lot more than you see them on a 47" screen. Also make sure not to run cable into HDMI5.
Ph8te likes this.
post #5155 of 18017 Old 10-18-2014, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Well, I just took the plunge and ordered the 60" from Best Buy. I'm a little nervous, but damn do I want a FALD set with low input lag. Sadly, the store is booked up on deliveries so it won't be here for a little while. If something goes from within the return period will they come and pick it up for you? The sales associate was cagey about that.

Now I just need to pick up a bigger entertainment stand and force buzzard to come down to the GB area to calibrate the Vizio when it arrives.
post #5156 of 18017 Old 10-18-2014, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:

Just a curious question. How are you liking your 50. I just bought mine and waiting for shipment? Also could you confirm what type of pannel it is? Thank you in advance
venus933 likes this.
post #5157 of 18017 Old 10-18-2014, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello all I'm new to this forum, and I'm interested actually in the p50 I put one on layway. It's going to be used for 4k 60hz gaming, 1080p 120hz gaming, ps4, watching blu rays and sports will this tv fit all my needs or do I just need to spend more money? I'm coming from a samsung hlt5087 which is a 50 inch led dlp. That tv is great but not so much now that I've built a monster PC and it's showing it's age(almost 8 years) thank you in advance
post #5158 of 18017 Old 10-18-2014, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4770
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
Before we give each other high fives because one owner thought the only advantage the F8500 has over the P60 is viewing angles perhaps it should be pointed out that the F8500 handily won every PQ attribute except for Day Mode (obviously this mode signifies a well lit room but not to the extent of a sun drench room) and it even won that category but just by a little bit against the FALD televisions from Sony and Samsung at the 2014 HDTV Shootout.

Either Vizio with the P series pulled some rabbit out of the hat or those with supposedly impressive credentials are not mistaken with their opinion that the ZT60/VT60/F8500 will outperform any current FALD television in every meaningful PQ attribute except for resolution (but not motion resolution).

Obviously the TV with the best PQ is not necessarily the best TV as there are multiple factors in determining the later such as a room facing south with a huge window(s).

What panel type were the Sony and Samsung FALD TVs in the 2014 shootout?

The P70 (and other sizes except the P55) are VA and deliver class-leading native contrast level at the cost of poor off-axis viewing performance.

To dismiss Buzzard767's informed and thoughtful comparison because of the results of other TVs in the 2014 VE Shootout is nonsense.

Regardless of what you are anyone else may say or think regarding past performance or more highly-acclaimed competitors performance, I believe it is now a foregone conclusion to the entire industry that Vizio has succeeded to pull a rabbit out of a hat with the P Series.

If you need wide viewing angles, go elsewhere (or possibly the P55), but if plasma-class black levels in a dark-room viewing environment (and only for a limited sweet-spot viewing cone) are a top priority, the non-55" P Series represents a breakthrough in LED/LCD TV technology (especially considering the price).

Last edited by fafrd; 10-18-2014 at 11:57 AM.
post #5159 of 18017 Old 10-18-2014, 12:02 PM

Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:

Quote:
PS4 can be enabled for 4K resolution for videos, the interface, and movies through Hulu or Netflix, but it will not have the capability to display games in 4K

"The PS4 supports 4K output, but only for photos and videos; not games. PS4 games do not work on 4K."
http://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation..._4K_Resolution
Unless you were playing 4K video or photo or IPTV (Netflix or Hulu 4K ) to TV from the PS4 to TV it would be 1080p if that was your PS4 setting .

All 4K TV sets upscale automatically to the panels 4K resolution. LCD panels can only display native resolution .

Last edited by tubetwister; 10-18-2014 at 12:06 PM.
post #5160 of 18017 Old 10-18-2014, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I was about to order a P50 yesterday but Costco removed it within the hour that I went to order. I'd rather not go through Vizio where shipping is $100 and returns come with a restocking fee (even though I have a 10% off coupon). Has anyone heard anything about Costco or Best Buy getting some in? I know someone mentioned the P50 wouldn't be stocked until January but how credible is that info?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page