***Official 2014 Vizio P Series Owner's Thread - Page 221 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4645Likes

post #6601 of 18027 Old 11-08-2014, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Some problem with my p50 while playing ps4. It is really annoying. Should I return it?

I have Comcast and while scrolling through the guide some titles are in black font when they're supposed to be in white.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6602 of 18027 Old 11-08-2014, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I think CEC/soundbar via HDMI may have caused my temporary loss of video. I disabled CEC and changed that connection to optical instead. I haven't noticed the picture drop yet. I'll post an update if it does.

My exchanged P65 still has vertical banding - the most obvious of which is down the middle of the screen - and dark spots around the edges/corners. It's free of the Clear Action bug, at least, just like the first panel. I only wish it had less of a problem with DSE.

Could rubbing it with a microfiber cloth make the banding worse? I'm very tempted to try that possible fix but not if I'm going to bugger it more.

Last edited by AGuy01; 11-08-2014 at 06:46 PM.
post #6603 of 18027 Old 11-08-2014, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuy01 View Post
Is anyone else losing a signal temporarily with their devices? It drops my PlayStation 4 for a second every now and again. I'm not sure if that's the TV or the PS4, though. The latter's 2.0.0 update has caused a bunch of problems, but I never had the drop error happen on my Samsung. I have no idea what's going on.
yes. I lose signal every once in awhile on pc at 120hz, pretty annoying during a game.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6604 of 18027 Old 11-08-2014, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Original Iron Man View Post
Well, after chats with Costco concierge and Vizio the only option I thought I had was to do an exchange. But what I failed to realize was to check my HDMI cables. So I thought I bought some high quality ones but in fact they were inferior and thus the cause of my problems. I went to Walmart.com and they have the new Vizio HDMI cables for dirt cheap ($4.28 ea.). In the store they retail for $15 for the 4ft. which I purchased. After swapping the cables everything works great. I can get 4K out of my HTPC and my 4K (upconvert) Blu-ray. I'm running everything through an Onkyo receiver and now everything switches so much better. And another plus is that the Vizio cables are much thinner so I was a bit skeptical but they are made for UHD, 7.1ch, ARC, and so on.
I may have missed it but why are you choosing HDMI 1 instead of 5? Also, I may have missed it but I thought only hdmi 5 does 4k for pc's?
post #6605 of 18027 Old 11-08-2014, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Does anybody have problems streaming from amazon? It seems each day it gets worse and worse. My router is through the wall ~3 feet away and I have no lack of signal but the amazon app tells me that I should check my signal and when I test my speed I get around 22Mb. yet when the app opens it shows my watch list and everything comes up fine but when I want to play and episode of something it keeps erroring out. Eventually it comes up but each day it takes longer and longer. Th video processing I can kinda deal with but since I only intend to stream from it that would be a deal breaker. Haven't tried hulu yet.

Last edited by rwheelwright; 11-08-2014 at 10:53 PM.
post #6606 of 18027 Old 11-08-2014, 10:52 PM
Advanced Member

Checked vudu. Getting error when querying director then getting hardware Id software Id and device Id. Vudu worked fine a couple of days ago. I haven't reset the tv but I have turned it on and off, I shouldn't have to reset for something that is trivial to work. I'm sure if I went to my roku on my other tv everything would work fine.
post #6607 of 18027 Old 11-08-2014, 11:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2365 Post(s)
Liked: 1946
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheelwright View Post
Does anybody have problems streaming from amazon? It seems each day it gets worse and worse. My router is through the wall ~3 feet away and I have no lack of signal but the amazon app tells me that I should check my signal and when I test my speed I get around 22Mb. yet when the app opens it shows my watch list and everything comes up fine but when I want to play and episode of something it keeps erroring out. Eventually it comes up but each day it takes longer and longer. Th video processing I can kinda deal with but since I only intend to stream from it that would be a deal breaker. Haven't tried hulu yet.
Quote:
Checked vudu. Getting error when querying director then getting hardware Id software Id and device Id. Vudu worked fine a couple of days ago. I haven't reset the tv but I have turned it on and off, I shouldn't have to reset for something that is trivial to work. I'm sure if I went to my roku on my other tv everything would work fine.
See post 6592, you're not alone. I wouldn't return the TV because of this as these are major apps and as such I can't see them being permanently broken.

LG 65B8 - Primary
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Sonos Playbase
MS Xbox One S (using strictly as a disk player)
post #6608 of 18027 Old 11-09-2014, 01:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
Vizio P60

Motion Revisited

I use a couple of Qtec discs for motion testing. They're Japanese and I don't believe they're available for purchase. You'll recognize the girl on a rope with the striped shirt from the Value Electronics Shootout if you saw it.

Clear Action - If you want to see better than about 700 lines of motion resolution you need to have CA > ON. It is easily seen on the following pattern and Qtec has it in 3 different speeds. CA > ON shows all the way to the bottom (1080).
Why the hell does cnet, rtings & hdguru all say that turning Clear Action does nothing to improve the motion resolution of 320 lines?
Each one of them say you need to turn on the smoothing options as well.

So is Clear Action just flat out not working or those reviewers not testing properly for motion resolution.
post #6609 of 18027 Old 11-09-2014, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Rtings.com said this >

"everything looks slightly blurrier than on a 1080p TV (especially 1080p high quality media). This is expected though, upscaling always soften a picture. This may sounds bad, but the upside is less jagged lines."

Bah, there's nothing I hate more than a soft upscaled image for gaming. :P

Last edited by WaveBoy; 11-09-2014 at 05:48 AM.
post #6610 of 18027 Old 11-09-2014, 05:43 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post
I appears CNET did their calibration with the local dimming turned on.
Which is why their numbers are SO SCREWED up. I really think that review is bogus on several levels.

buzz needs to get over there, calibrate it again, and see what they say.
post #6611 of 18027 Old 11-09-2014, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Is anyone else losing a signal temporarily with their devices? It drops my PlayStation 4 for a second every now and again. I'm not sure if that's the TV or the PS4, though. The latter's 2.0.0 update has caused a bunch of problems, but I never had the drop error happen on my Samsung. I have no idea what's going on.
No problems whatsoever.
post #6612 of 18027 Old 11-09-2014, 05:46 AM

Quote:
I've had a green horizontal line show up. A ghostly jumble accompanied it at one point. Turning off GLL fixed it.
FYI, I have this with GLL but as Googer said, power cycling the TV fixes it as well. Happens randomly.
post #6613 of 18027 Old 11-09-2014, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked: 2459
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
Vizio P60

Motion Revisited

I use a couple of Qtec discs for motion testing. They're Japanese and I don't believe they're available for purchase. You'll recognize the girl on a rope with the striped shirt from the Value Electronics Shootout if you saw it.

Clear Action - If you want to see better than about 700 lines of motion resolution you need to have CA > ON. It is easily seen on the following pattern and Qtec has it in 3 different speeds. CA > ON shows all the way to the bottom (1080).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfer View Post
Why the hell does cnet, rtings & hdguru all say that turning Clear Action does nothing to improve the motion resolution of 320 lines?
Each one of them say you need to turn on the smoothing options as well.

So is Clear Action just flat out not working or those reviewers not testing properly for motion resolution.

CNet on the P55:

Smooth Motion Effect is what controls SOE, and even in its Low setting the smoothing was obvious and extreme; much more so than Sony's Standard setting, for example. In that setting, the P55 delivered 800 lines and the P65 1,000, while both garnered about 1,100 lines of resolution in the two settings (Medium and High). Interestingly, engaging Clear Action backlight scanning did nothing to improve motion resolution in our test, and as usual dimmed the image, so we left it turned off.

We're getting very different results. My comments were regarding the P60 and CNet's were from a P55. If I remember correctly, on the P55 I had briefly, I only used the "girl on the swing" for checking motion, and of course with this pattern SME works beautifully (for judder reduction) and CA does nothing. Without knowing exactly which patterns CNet was using I don't have a clue but there was no doubt that when using a standard scrolling motion resolution pattern, CA made a world of difference.

Normal viewing distances, visual acuity, and individual sensitivity may make all of this a moot point anyway.

Buzz
THX Certified Level II Video Calibrator

Last edited by buzzard767; 11-09-2014 at 06:35 AM.
post #6614 of 18027 Old 11-09-2014, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by traumadisaster View Post
I may have missed it but why are you choosing HDMI 1 instead of 5? Also, I may have missed it but I thought only hdmi 5 does 4k for pc's?
I am using HDMI 1 because of the ARC as I have the TV mounted on the wall in my media room. All of my connections are on the wall and it only has 1 HDMI input. I use my Onkyo receiver to do all of the switching for me for all of my devices. HDMI 5 is best suited for gaming PCs but my PC is an HTPC I built and it is for media only and not for gaming so I do not need the 4K @ 60Hz.
post #6615 of 18027 Old 11-09-2014, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal50 View Post
OK, dumb question -

How or where can I view the firmware version?

I am networked thru Wireless and assuming VIZIO pushes firmware when they want vs me accepting an update.
Unlike other manufacturers where you can check for an update. Vizio will automatically push an update once available but I'm not sure if it prompts you to accept it or decline. Others who have owned a vizio tv before may know.
post #6616 of 18027 Old 11-09-2014, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
See post 6592, you're not alone. I wouldn't return the TV because of this as these are major apps and as such I can't see them being permanently broken.
I hope the fix it quickly. Otherwise this tv is useless for me. Thanks for responding.
post #6617 of 18027 Old 11-09-2014, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked: 2459
Quote:
Originally Posted by pisymbol View Post
Which is why their numbers are SO SCREWED up. I really think that review is bogus on several levels.
There was more wrong than not turning off dimming for the Gamma calibration. I found the P55 Color Gamut an easy calibration but apparently they didn't. Either they had a broken TV or their basic setup was amiss.

We both used dE2000 as an error reference:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P55 dE2000.jpg
Views:	1746
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	356906  

Buzz
THX Certified Level II Video Calibrator

post #6618 of 18027 Old 11-09-2014, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 43
What's your guys stance on the Sony 800B? would that be a decent alternative to the Vizio M or P?
post #6619 of 18027 Old 11-09-2014, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post
What's your guys stance on the Sony 800B? would that be a decent alternative to the Vizio M or P?
You would probably be better off looking through the owners thread for that TV and see what people are saying about. I am sure it has it's fair share of issues so you need to decide which issues you are willing to live with and which advantages you are willing to give up.

Of course everyone is going to have a difference of opinion as very well proven in this thread alone.
post #6620 of 18027 Old 11-09-2014, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
have you tried connecting your TV to the router with a Cat6 or Ca7 cable and disabling wireless? give it a shot.
post #6621 of 18027 Old 11-09-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2365 Post(s)
Liked: 1946
Quote:
Originally Posted by pisymbol View Post

For the sake of arguement lets stipulate that Katzmaier did not calibrate his two P models correctly, this does not neutralize his two main criticisms of the P series which were highlights getting two bright and over done edge enhancement. In his review he said he resorted to resetting the television to factory defaults and he still had the issue of too much sharpness. And it should also be noted that he notice this same issue at Vizio's press junket.

Katzmaier thinks Vizio will address his issues with a firmware update and if that does come to fruition what does that say about his harshest critics?

LG 65B8 - Primary
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Sonos Playbase
MS Xbox One S (using strictly as a disk player)
post #6622 of 18027 Old 11-09-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
You should try a hardwired connection via Ethernet and see if the problem persists. You may also want to check your router settings and see if you have a priority setting for streaming. This may help increase the throughput especially if you have other devices taking up the bandwidth.

I have mine hardwired via cat6e cable and have had no issues with amazon or vudu and even with Neflix 4K content.
post #6623 of 18027 Old 11-09-2014, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You should try a hardwired connection via Ethernet and see if the problem persists. You may also want to check your router settings and see if you have a priority setting for streaming. This may help increase the throughput especially if you have other devices taking up the bandwidth.

I have mine hardwired via cat6e cable and have had no issues with amazon or vudu and even with Neflix 4K content.
I'll check it out but I do have a 25Mb pipe from FiOS and no one was using any other devices at the time. Also I was using 5GHz and no one in the area is using 5Ghz according to my analyzer. My roku 30 ft away plays using the same frequency and channel with no issues. Being in the networking field and having decent knowledge about wireless everything I am doing should be working fine. Even my bluray downstairs works fine. This tv is on the other side of the wall that the router is on and is only 3 ft away so there should be no signal loss. Also there are no devices in the area that are causing interference and the walls are Sheetrock not concrete and I don't have any metal objects in the way.
post #6624 of 18027 Old 11-09-2014, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6741 Post(s)
Liked: 6594
5Ghz can always be "iffy" through walls. If you go through walls it's "better" to use 2.4. 25Mb is also close to the minimum needed for 4k streaming so I wouldn't expect miracles. You should be able to stream 1080 and below OK, but without testing a few things it will be hard to tell.

Sent from an system/360
post #6625 of 18027 Old 11-09-2014, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a p50b1. 240hz

What do you guys recommend I connect to HDMI5?

My Comcast cable box or My Ps4?

I'm currently experiencing problems while playing ps4. The screen turns blacks for about two seconds during gameplay. What should I do?

Please help.
post #6626 of 18027 Old 11-09-2014, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Update

I used a Powerline Ethernet adapter to hardware and everything worked fine so I went back to wireless and vudu worked but not amazon. Interestingly vudu kicked me out the first time I would load an episode but when I went back in it would play. This happened on wired too. Amazon wouldn't play wirelessly. I changed to the 2.4 band and amazon is working now. I know that 5ghz has less range but also less interference and 3 feet is nothing. Then I tried vudu again and the first time I clicked on the episode it went to load then kicked out of the app but the second time it worked. Sounds like a vudu app problem.

Gonna try this for a while and see if it fixes the issue but I would still like to use 5ghz. Most everything I have is 5ghz and I've never had a problem.
post #6627 of 18027 Old 11-09-2014, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6741 Post(s)
Liked: 6594
It's not the distance with your 5Ghz it's the wall that's between your TV and router that is most likely causing the issue.

Sent from an system/360
post #6628 of 18027 Old 11-09-2014, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post
Rtings.com said this >

"everything looks slightly blurrier than on a 1080p TV (especially 1080p high quality media). This is expected though, upscaling always soften a picture. This may sounds bad, but the upside is less jagged lines."

Bah, there's nothing I hate more than a soft upscaled image for gaming. :P

Don't worry--that comment does not match my experience even slightly. Geometry aliasing doesn't even go away; slightly jagged lines remain slightly jagged.

Soft focused video looks even softer though, but this is a problem I've only had with two of the many television programs that I watch, NCIS and NCIS LA and this week NCIS was much improved (the new NCIS New Orleans was never soft).

This television's upscaling is amazing IMHO. I was so impressed with it when I first got it that I'd pause stuff that I was watching so that I could walk up close to the screen and see whether I could identify any artifacts caused by upscaling and never could.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #6629 of 18027 Old 11-09-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Vizio will automatically push an update once available but I'm not sure if it prompts you to accept it or decline. Others who have owned a vizio tv before may know.

It does not prompt you, but it will tell you that it did it. I think that it will only do it while the television is in its OFF standby state.

post #6630 of 18027 Old 11-09-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
For the sake of arguement lets stipulate that Katzmaier did not calibrate his two P models correctly, this does not neutralize his two main criticisms of the P series which were highlights getting two bright and over done edge enhancement. In his review he said he resorted to resetting the television to factory defaults and he still had the issue of too much sharpness.

It should be noted that no actual owner in this thread could figure out what the hell he was talking about (Buzz could see something that might be it when he got up close with a magnifier), so it might not be something that normal human beings can see, sort of like sounds that only dogs can hear .

Since either his sets were severely broken or his calibration was severely bad, I think that all of his observations of video quality can pretty much be ignored. (Off calibration made TV skin tones go bezerk--mottled with crawling textures--and that was with numbers much, much better than he achieved). His comments on features and build quality, etc. stand .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page