***Official 2014 Vizio P Series Owner's Thread - Page 244 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4645Likes

post #7291 of 18031 Old 11-17-2014, 09:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compeau View Post
Can anybody see the individual lines in this test image on their P-series? I can't, and I'm thinking it's because of the sharpness bug.
http://www.hifi-writer.com/download/4ktest.jpg

I also noticed that some of the lines on this test image are messed up.
http://i.imgur.com/Z066LWD.jpg

I loaded these onto a flash drive so I could display them at 2160x3840 res (my cheapo PC graphics card cannot) and I couldn't see the individual colored lines and could only see one of the border lines for each band. The lines on the B&W pattern looked okay.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7292 of 18031 Old 11-17-2014, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
I loaded these onto a flash drive so I could display them at 2160x3840 res (my cheapo PC graphics card cannot) and I couldn't see the individual colored lines and could only see one of the border lines for each band. The lines on the B&W pattern looked okay.
I haven't gotten a chance to try these yet but that's what I would expect to see viewing these on a PC on HDMI 5 @ 60 Hz (due to 4:2:0). It seems somewhat peculiar to me that even the TV internally decoding these would put it on a video path that implies displaying it in 4:2:0 but nothing really surprises me these days.
post #7293 of 18031 Old 11-17-2014, 10:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
65" - what to expect?

I know not many here own the 65", but I'm really tempted by the BB Black Friday deal and will try to get it. I understand the 65" uses a different VA panel than the 60" and/or 70"? Are contrast and color rendition likely similar? Are there any other known issues specifically for the 65" unit?

Also related, when do the online Black Friday sales start at Best Buy? Midnight on the 27th?

Thanks!
rogerdiaz likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7294 of 18031 Old 11-17-2014, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley9576 View Post
Guess what my P70 looked like as Best Buy unboxed it?
Return it asap & tell them it was like that when opened.
I heard stories Best Buy won't return damaged TVs if there isn't any signs of damage during shipment on their part.
As a former home theater best buy employee you're very correct. I frequently had to tell people they were SOL when they tried to return broken TVs. That's why I made sure to turn this one on while the delivery guys were still here. Absolutely not a scratch on the exterior of the tv. On shows up when it's on. Now I wait till Thursday for it's replacement.
post #7295 of 18031 Old 11-17-2014, 11:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Can anybody see the individual lines in this test image on their P-series? I can't, and I'm thinking it's because of the sharpness bug.
http://www.hifi-writer.com/download/4ktest.jpg

I also noticed that some of the lines on this test image are messed up.
http://i.imgur.com/Z066LWD.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
I have about 8 years old 37" 1080p Westinghouse with high end PC and 2 AMD R9 290X jn Crossfire.

When viewing the image online with Firefox enlarged to 3840x2160 i can clearly see the the 12 lines with the outsite lines separated by one more pixel.

When I save the image it shows 3840x2160 43% and it can't be enlarged to full size, it must be some download limitation on the site you use and off course in this case the lines kind of merge.

Same for both images, I'm just posting this in case anybody is viewing the images as downloaded.

EDIT
I double checked on this, when I view the image with MS Paint it shows full size (3840x2160) with all lines clearly visible same as online.
Originally i did view the image with IrfanView which is my default image viewer. I need to recheck the IrfanView setting.

Last edited by Heinz68; 11-18-2014 at 12:11 AM.
post #7296 of 18031 Old 11-18-2014, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehwoneee View Post
Does the vizio logo on the right corner of this tv light up? I thought I saw it once when I first turned it on but I haven't seen it since.

On the right no, on the left yes. This is turned off (power led) be default however.

Sent from an system/360
Thanks! I thought the thing was broken!
post #7297 of 18031 Old 11-18-2014, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdiaz View Post
P70 Owners, how far are you sitting from screen? Appreciate the replies.
10'
post #7298 of 18031 Old 11-18-2014, 06:25 AM

Liked: 11
Hey guys. I've noticed this graininess on most things on my new P60, especially low quality content (which i watch a fair bit of) and even on most 1080 content. It's almost like a light film grain, or a dirty screen image. I can notice it on the screen, like content is moving beneath a dirty/grainy screen. I wasnt positive if it was supposed to look that way, or if it just looks that way in general on P60s or if there was an issue with my set.

Well i got out my old tv set, a Sony KDL60EX645, also a 60" and put them side by side and tested things for an hour or so. And sure enough it doesnt look like that on my old set.

Switching back and forth on the same content from screen to screen the graininess is present and obvious on my P60 but not my old set.

Is this normal or is it certainly a defective unit that should be replaced? Could the infamous over sharpness bug cause what i describe?

Its a shame because aside from that its a almost perfectly uniform set aside from a slight, almost imperceptible darkness in the top corners.

Thanks

Last edited by Bluemustang; 11-18-2014 at 06:35 AM.
post #7299 of 18031 Old 11-18-2014, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Hello all! I am thinking of purchasing the Vizio 65" P series that BB has on sale on Black Friday. I was originally going to save up and get the 70", but the $1000 difference for 5" is not worth it to me.

I currently own a Sony KDL55HX800. I think it is over 4 years old.

Has anyone replaced their Sony with a Vizio? Are you happy with it? Do you think the PQ is on Par with a Sony?

I was also looking at the Sony KDL70W850B, but after reading all the radial banding issues I dont want to play that return game until I get a good set.

If you dont think the Vizio is a good replacement what would you suggest? Looking for at least 65" 4k and 3d are not deal breakers but a plus.

Thanks!
post #7300 of 18031 Old 11-18-2014, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Been playing with my P60 as much as my time will allow (which isn't much) since Saturday afternoon, a few bugs/questions I have.

I have my Xbox One plugged into my Onkyo TX-SR604 and that goes to the HDMI port 5.

1) Minor one first, the full keyboard on the back seems to stop working at times. I was trying to type in my Netflix password and partway through it would stop recognizing keystrokes. Flipping the remote over and using the directional arrows and Enter button worked, just not the keyboard. Anyone else have this?

2) Playing Destiny on the Vault of Glass (which is dark) I noticed a little flickering on the bottom left of the screen where it shows you your ammunition counts and whatnot (which is bright white). Very minor, is this to be expected or is there a way to reduce this?

3) This is the biggest one, also on Destiny. I turned on the "reduce game input lag" feature in the menu and when I first fire up the game there was a major glitch, a horizontal bar about 2" from the top appears and I get massive latency issues (1/2 a second maybe). The bar up top seems to function as a "second screen" or something, when I move the circle reticule (in the "choose a character" menu) to the top a duplicate appears as I approach the top. I turned the reduce game lag feature off and instantly the issue was resolved, and when I turned the feature back on it still didn't reappear the rest of the day. The following day when I turned the game on the same issue appeared. I haven't noticed this issue in watching Netflix or anywhere else (haven't tried any other games yet). I should have taken a picture but I forgot to do so, I'll turn the game mode back on and snap one tonight if I remember.

Even without the gaming mode enabled I don't seem to have any input lag so it certainly isn't a deal breaker. Just curious if anyone has any idea at all what could be causing this?

Overall I'm LOVING the TV, blows my old 2007 Toshiba 42HL67 (720p) LCD out of the water, but I suppose that's to be expected. Tonight if I have some free time I need to check for other issues (light leakage, artifacts, etc), anyone have any good source material that's handy for finding issues?

Thanks!

"To do a 'Kabob' you have to be both a tease, and a cockblocker. So the person you 'Kabob' gets his/her hopes up only to end up being severely disappointed." -jammybastard

Xbox Live GT - I Kabob I
post #7301 of 18031 Old 11-18-2014, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabob983 View Post
Been playing with my P60 as much as my time will allow (which isn't much) since Saturday afternoon, a few bugs/questions I have.

I have my Xbox One plugged into my Onkyo TX-SR604 and that goes to the HDMI port 5.

1) Minor one first, the full keyboard on the back seems to stop working at times. I was trying to type in my Netflix password and partway through it would stop recognizing keystrokes. Flipping the remote over and using the directional arrows and Enter button worked, just not the keyboard. Anyone else have this?

2) Playing Destiny on the Vault of Glass (which is dark) I noticed a little flickering on the bottom left of the screen where it shows you your ammunition counts and whatnot (which is bright white). Very minor, is this to be expected or is there a way to reduce this?

3) This is the biggest one, also on Destiny. I turned on the "reduce game input lag" feature in the menu and when I first fire up the game there was a major glitch, a horizontal bar about 2" from the top appears and I get massive latency issues (1/2 a second maybe). The bar up top seems to function as a "second screen" or something, when I move the circle reticule (in the "choose a character" menu) to the top a duplicate appears as I approach the top. I turned the reduce game lag feature off and instantly the issue was resolved, and when I turned the feature back on it still didn't reappear the rest of the day. The following day when I turned the game on the same issue appeared. I haven't noticed this issue in watching Netflix or anywhere else (haven't tried any other games yet). I should have taken a picture but I forgot to do so, I'll turn the game mode back on and snap one tonight if I remember.

Even without the gaming mode enabled I don't seem to have any input lag so it certainly isn't a deal breaker. Just curious if anyone has any idea at all what could be causing this?

Overall I'm LOVING the TV, blows my old 2007 Toshiba 42HL67 (720p) LCD out of the water, but I suppose that's to be expected. Tonight if I have some free time I need to check for other issues (light leakage, artifacts, etc), anyone have any good source material that's handy for finding issues?

Thanks!
1. Nope
2. I've never seen that in Destiny
3. This happens occasionally. Just toggling GLL off and on fixes it, so it's not a big deal. I expect this to eventually be fixed in an update.
post #7302 of 18031 Old 11-18-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
3. This happens occasionally. Just toggling GLL off and on fixes it, so it's not a big deal. I expect this to eventually be fixed in an update.
Is it unique to Destiny or does it happen elsewhere as well?

"To do a 'Kabob' you have to be both a tease, and a cockblocker. So the person you 'Kabob' gets his/her hopes up only to end up being severely disappointed." -jammybastard

Xbox Live GT - I Kabob I
post #7303 of 18031 Old 11-18-2014, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Hi,
I was wondering if someone could help me a little bit with some settings for my blu ray picture.
I notice when I have smooth motion set to low and everything else "off" i see some skipping or judder on movement scenes.
When I turn the smooth motion off, it seems to go away when i turn it off.
I have the 60 inch P series using Buzzards calib settings.

Can any one share with me what there basic settings are when watching an action blu ray or Vudu HDX? Such as GLL, Smooth Motion and clear action are?
post #7304 of 18031 Old 11-18-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Is it unique to Destiny or does it happen elsewhere as well?
It's a problem with the TV, not whatever content you happen to be playing.
post #7305 of 18031 Old 11-18-2014, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
My Average Enthusist Review - Vizio P60

There are a lot of comments out there and after doing a few months worth of research on various displays, panels, etc, I noticed there are guys like me who are just the average enthusiast who appreciates a good picture, professionals who see at a different level, and those that just take a TV out of the box and hook it up. This review is for the first group because that is what I am. I think I looked at almost all the major sets and played with each at Best Buy, Costco, and Sam's. This includes W850, W700, AS680, HU 8550, HU 8700, HU 7250, HU 7150, and a mulitude of others. I WAS NOT a Vizio fan before. In fact, I'd usually just walk past them...maybe to a fault, but I was interested in seeing what they'd do with the P series.

So I've had the P60 for a few days now and have had the chance to really play with the settings, posted calibrations from multiple users on this forum, and here are my thoughts. I'll preface this by saying I'm not an expert but certainly an enthusiast who is still learning all of the minutia with LED sets (I'm coming from Samsung and Panasonic Plasmas). My thoughts were, I'm going to take this home, play with it for maybe a few weeks and then if I didn't like it, take it back and get the Sony W850 or W700.

I bought the set at the Sam's Sale on Saturday. Set was in great condition, packaging was good, and I did not purchase the extended plan. I will instead buy it at Costco ( 4 years for $59.00 for TV under $1000). The TV exterior is nothing special...I'm not saying it's bad, it just looks like a decent TV without a lot of extra which is just fine with me. I remember the Samsung "touch of color" bezels and at the time looked nice, but boy after about 3 years they were out of style, so the thin somewhat brushed black bezel of this set is just fine with me. It looks like a TV now and will still look like one in 5 years and not clash with other room decor. I was leaning towards a 55" but wanted a 60" (coming from a 50"). When I pulled it out of the box...my wife said "that's huge" (i'm talking about the TV here). I'm glad I went the 60" in route.

Inputs are plenty. I run everything through a Yamaha Aventage AVR so really only need one. The ARC support between the two is finicky from my experience when you are switching between a Cable/Sat box and the Smart TV functions so I ended up disabling ARC and running an optical cable back to the AVR for Smart TV functions. Everything is programmed through the newer Logitech Harmony Home Control Remote (which is a seperate review in of itself....nice once you the hang of the smart phone app). That's what I use the TV for....Satellite and movies. Mostly a sports and movie watcher. I'm using the Monoprice Redmere cables as I have fairly long run (15 ft)...which I think are pretty good for the price.

Picture quality - Out of the box it's ok at best. The typical store settings (overly cool blue tones and BRIGHT). I've played with a number of cailibration suggestions from earlier work by Buzz, Zmad, Googer, et al. Here's what I've noticed, they DO NOT copy over exactly to perfection and may not be to your liking, but they are all MUCH better than the stock pictures. It's worth the time to fiddle around and get it to your liking. My current favorite is Buzz's Night settings (cailbrated night) with some tweaks. For me the 11 pt white balance did not transfer over well and needed a fair amount of tweaking. For me the reds were still a bit oversaturated and I had to tone that back a bit. You'll have to play with it to get it to your liking because my understanding is that they don't transfer perfect from set to set and your tastes might be different anway. That's absolutely nothing to do with their calibrations! They may work perfect on the sets they are using, but understand it may not be to standards on your set or to your liking and it might take some research and fiddling to get it right for you. A BIG THANKS for the early work from these guys for helping to get things close and saving me a crap load of time! That said, now that I've got it where I like it, I think the picture on this thing with a dead on viewing angle is outstanding. Especailly on 1080p and 1080i sources. BluRay is another level of awesome. The comments about edge enhancements aren't a factor for me. I'm not seeing it at least. I found it was best to have GLL on, Clear Action On, Smoothing on low, gamma 2.2, black detail low, and everything else off. The only hickup I've seen and it was rare was a flickering of a thrown football or flickering feet when guys were really turning over. It was only a couple of times so it may just have been some sort of combination of the settings, but I haven't seen it since. There are some qwirky color shifts when going through the 11 point white balance. The entire picture will literally change to a blue or red hue at various points. Be aware of it. The screen itself if matte but does have some reflectiveness to it. I've seen A LOT worse. No 3D is fine with me...I never really cared for it in the first place. I also had to pull down the contrast and backlight a bit so that the whites weren't quite so bright. Espcially for night football gaems where players wear white jerseys. At times there would be some glowing and clouding, but with a few adjustments it looked great. (I like to be able to see a the stiching on a white jersey so I'm picky on the white brightness). Again, this may well be unit to unit specific. I did notice the back light zones problem others have experienced (a couple of zones would stay on). I hoping this is fixed with the firmware. Cycling power cleared it for me and even when it's on, isn't major major deal for me. (it only happened once and I was messing with the settings for hours straight). I don't have any other lines. Uniforimity looks almost perfect however I can tell on the left side of the screen a small amount of variance. I may try the massage technique once I get moved into our new house next week. Corners are really pretty good with only a very very small amount of light loss. WAY less than the Panasonic sets I saw at the store and on par with the Sony's.

Remote - I'm not going to beat a horse....otherse have hit it on the head. Good during in the light but not the best in the dark. That keyboard on the bottom is damn nice for searching....wish my harmony remote had it!

Smart Functionality - It's obvious this has solid processing power because I can move across and within the apps quite seemlessly. Amazon has a dendancy to hang on app boot up, but just hit the button again and it'll take off. One of my pet peeves for smart functionality is slow response!!! This set is great in that regards. Very little lag time and very little loading time. I tinkered ALOT with a Sony set in the store and I really liked the picture but just really would get irritated with the laggy smart menu. This one is simple and smooth. I'm not using my Smart TV as web browser (because I have a computer, smart phone, ipad, kindle, etc for all of that). Amazon and YouTube streams are pretty darn good on this set! WAY better than from my Panasonic BluRay player. That maybe attributed to the AC wifi on the TV which I haven't seen many comments about but is a GREAT bonus for speed.

Audio Quality - Meh. You can't expect friggin audiophile sound out of a TV. If you want it to sound awesome, you'll have to go with a Sony (which look really weird), buy a sound bar, or do what I do and install in cieling speakers and run an AVR. (BTW the new Yamaha Aventage A740 is REALLY good...seriously worth a look if you're in the market).

Long story short, so far I'm very pleased with the set. I can't tell you what the HDGuru guys, Katzmeier, etc think because I'm not comparing 100 sets at once, but for a guy like me who appreciates a good picture for a very fair price, it's hard to beat this set given that $999.99 Sam's deal. I literally researched TVs for about 3 months before settling on this one and it was mostly picture quality value ratio! Unless something comes up, IMHO...it's a keeper.

Update: One week later....it's been busy but had some time to fiddle with color. Ended up with a scheme that is quite pleasing to my eyes. Watched my favorite college team put a butt whipping on this Saturday and many times found myself staring and the picture thinking...It might be hard to go to the stadium from here on out. This picture is fantastic.

Last edited by wildh; 11-23-2014 at 07:13 PM.
post #7306 of 18031 Old 11-18-2014, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's a problem with the TV, not whatever content you happen to be playing.
Is the issue present on all P60's or just a select few? Just trying to figure out if it's worth swapping it out at Sams.

Xbox Live GT - I Kabob I
post #7307 of 18031 Old 11-18-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Is the issue present on all P60's or just a select few? Just trying to figure out if it's worth swapping it out at Sams.
I don't know, but it's a super trivial issue not worth trading it in over.
post #7308 of 18031 Old 11-18-2014, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyAnimal View Post
man, i'm glad you posted this.. i'm taking my sister with me because she's the one that has the card, and i had no idea they didn't except visa.. welp time to stop at the bank and get the money out...

and apologies if we're turning this in to the sams club tv deal thread lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemustang View Post
Hey guys. I've noticed this graininess on most things on my new P60, especially low quality content (which i watch a fair bit of) and even on most 1080 content. It's almost like a light film grain, or a dirty screen image. I can notice it on the screen, like content is moving beneath a dirty/grainy screen. I wasnt positive if it was supposed to look that way, or if it just looks that way in general on P60s or if there was an issue with my set.

Well i got out my old tv set, a Sony KDL60EX645, also a 60" and put them side by side and tested things for an hour or so. And sure enough it doesnt look like that on my old set.

Switching back and forth on the same content from screen to screen the graininess is present and obvious on my P60 but not my old set.

Is this normal or is it certainly a defective unit that should be replaced? Could the infamous over sharpness bug cause what i describe?

Its a shame because aside from that its a almost perfectly uniform set aside from a slight, almost imperceptible darkness in the top corners.

Thanks
If your using HDMI5 try either change the picture mode to standard. or Move your cable box to another HDMI. I have the 55 inch. And it seems the upscaler acts differently on both HDMI inputs and picture settings.
post #7309 of 18031 Old 11-18-2014, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Very pleased! Thank you Buzz!

Hey everyone,

I picked up the 60" from the Sam's deal. I am ecstatic. Maybe I got lucky but this TV is everything I was hoping for at a beautiful price point.

I "calibrated" it using Buzz's newer night settings, only modifying his choices in leaving Smooth Motion Effect OFF (no soap opera for me) and Clear Action OFF (dims the panel too much) -- Post 5593 on page 187 of this thread.

All of my visiting family have been thoroughly impressed with the picture quality. 1080P Blu-Rays are magnificent, 1080I Centurylink Prism IPTV is very nice, and 1080P Apple TV is gorgeous.

I would like to personally thank Buzz for his dedication and openness in helping out everyone. Thank you so much! You really turned this TV into a gem. The colors are just beautiful.

I wish everyone the best of luck!

Myrcury
Heinz68, lincoln_husker and wildh like this.
post #7310 of 18031 Old 11-18-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpdogg View Post
If your using HDMI5 try either change the picture mode to standard. or Move your cable box to another HDMI. I have the 55 inch. And it seems the upscaler acts differently on both HDMI inputs and picture settings.
Nope unfortunately neither changing hdmi ports nor any combination of any settings has any effect on the film grain.

My last set originally had this appearance except one spot in the screen that was clear. Guy from BB said that was what it should look like and i got it replaced.

This new set appears to have the same film grain look over the whole thing.
post #7311 of 18031 Old 11-18-2014, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I finally had time to actually play around with the settings and stuff for the first time last night on my new P60. As far as I can tell, I have a fairly uniform screen and don't have any real flaws/issues. I am a happy camper. I started with buzz's settings and made some tweaks from there and I have what looks like a really good picture to me.

A couple of things though:

1) I popped in the Blu Ray of Amazing Spiderman 2 last night and got what was to me some SOE. I had smooth motion effect set to low. Turned it off and the picture just looked weird to me. Like Spiderman was pasted onto the screen while he was swinging through the city. Turned SME back on and it looked okay but was still getting some SOE. I happened to turn GLL on and that seemed to fix it. Is this normal or is it just my eyes playing tricks on me? I'm assuming this may have been brought up at some point and I missed it? I'm playing it through a PS4. Haven't had a chance to game on it yet. I'm wondering if I need to adjust some settings in my PS4? Everything on the PS4 is set like it was for the old TV and never had this issue. Picture still looked good though.

2) I have everything (Dish receiver, PS4, and PS3) going into my Sony soundbar system via HDMI and out to HDMI 5 on the TV so that the soundbar does the switching. I have it set so that the TV speakers will be disabled when the soundbar is turned on. This worked without a problem on the TV this one is replacing and on the TV before that. It doesn't seem to work on this one though. If I turn the soundbar on, the TV speakers remain on unless I turn them off. I even disconnected the soundbar and connected it to my old TV to make sure and it worked. Back to the P60 and it doesn't. Is there a way to do this? I can live with it but it's just kind of annoying. I have CEC disabled if that makes a difference.

Overall, I'm happy with my P60 though. On a side note, I've some people mention they have a Dreamcast connected via HDMI and I was curious how you're connecting it. Trying to figure out the best way to connect mine (old TV still had an S-Video input!).
post #7312 of 18031 Old 11-18-2014, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrcury View Post
Hey everyone,

I picked up the 60" from the Sam's deal. I am ecstatic. Maybe I got lucky but this TV is everything I was hoping for at a beautiful price point.

I "calibrated" it using Buzz's newer night settings, only modifying his choices in leaving Smooth Motion Effect OFF (no soap opera for me) and Clear Action OFF (dims the panel too much) -- Post 5593 on page 187 of this thread.

All of my visiting family have been thoroughly impressed with the picture quality. 1080P Blu-Rays are magnificent, 1080I Centurylink Prism IPTV is very nice, and 1080P Apple TV is gorgeous.

I would like to personally thank Buzz for his dedication and openness in helping out everyone. Thank you so much! You really turned this TV into a gem. The colors are just beautiful.

I wish everyone the best of luck!

Myrcury

Yes...the clear action does dim the screen quite a bit! I wish it wouldn't be quite so much as well....actually I really like it with the brightness at about 82 in the dark, but during the day (in a bright room) a bit more backlight would be nice.

Vizio guys who are reading this...here's a suggestion: allow for auto backlight option in all settings and the end user the ability to dial in the sensitivity they'd like. So in other words, let us still adjust the backlight setting then have the hardware/software adjust for surrounding light.
post #7313 of 18031 Old 11-18-2014, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Red face A Partial answer for scitek?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scitek View Post
What's the general consensus on the 50-inch? I've been considering buying one, but I read a review last night that said it has post-processing on that ruins the image quality. Has that been addressed? I'd generally be using it to play PC games on since I have a 970, which can power through last-gen games without much trouble at that resolution. Being able to play at 120Hz if I want is a bonus, too, though.

Quick question, though. How does DSR (downsampling) look in games on a 4k set? Does it still look better than plain 1080p, or does it look worse because it's upscaled to 4k instead?
I bought the "detuned?" Walmart Vizio 50" B1E version three weeks ago, and I am quite pleased with it. I think
that it does a pretty amazing job of upconverting Season
One of "House Of Cards" (which is 1080 resolution) to 4K.
So good, in fact, that I am looking forward to watching Season Two in 4K, to see if there is any actual visual improvement in the image!

The reason I said a partial answer in the title is I do not do any gaming with this set. I use it for watching my Blu-ray/DVD collections, and Netflix streaming, and only
occasionally even watch tv.
post #7314 of 18031 Old 11-18-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 1595
I've had my 55" P for 3+ weeks now.
I tried to calibrate with this disc, not so much luck

Brightness and greyscale not bad, but color ....

Onscreen people come with this pink/red hue to them!!! Cheeks and foreheads on News and some commercials are so bad

I'm watching in the Calibrated mode

I went to the P calibration thread....and copied what I thought were some 55" calibration settings to help

These color tuner settings and 11 point settings

Below is 1 example of the 5-100% settings

Using those my screen got really dark, like 23fc instead of 49fc

I even put the R-G-B filters in front of my camera for both the Vizio Calibrated setting and that 55" P series day time setting I copied, neither looked good thru those filters

Vizio Calibrated setting

with color filters

55" P series day time setting I copied

My conclusion:
These P series are not ready for public release!
I'm kinda frustrated, ready to return this to Costco.

Un-beliveable that out of the box so bad, even their calibrated setting sucks so bad.

I don't have a video calibration meter, honestly to drop $200 for a meter to use a few times seems ridiculous, low ROI.....I expect more from the box.

(I used my Canon 70D on a tripod for images, manual focus, aperture priority, no post processing applied to them, I taped the R-G-B filter over the lens)

Last edited by mtbdudex; 11-18-2014 at 10:50 AM.
post #7315 of 18031 Old 11-18-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
Onscreen people come with this pink/red hue to them!!! Cheeks and foreheads on News and some commercials are so bad
This is a known issue with the panels. You need to calibrate to realistic flesh tones, not to "ideal" red values.
Ph8te likes this.
post #7316 of 18031 Old 11-18-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Umm wait a minute, does the LEDs function differently when the picture mode is in Calibrated Dark Mode?
post #7317 of 18031 Old 11-18-2014, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 7010 Post(s)
Liked: 7098
Quote:
Umm wait a minute, does the LEDs function differently when the picture mode is in Calibrated Dark Mode?

Yes, this has been discussed before in CD for some reason you will not get the anomalies with zone lighting that you see in others.

Sent from an system/360
post #7318 of 18031 Old 11-18-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Yes, the local dimming is better in Calibrated Dark.
post #7319 of 18031 Old 11-18-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 1595
Quote:
This is a known issue with the panels. You need to calibrate to realistic flesh tones, not to "ideal" red values.

sorry but with 1000's of posts I can't know everything.
Know to Vizio? Have they acknowledged this issue? Can it be fixed by firmware update?

I'm ready to call their customer support and tear someone a new ear-hole!
I spent $1.3k for a piece of crap viewing experience, and to say I need to calibrate that away is not acceptable as end user.
(I'm not picking on you, rather Vizio)

My 2008 Sony VW60 PJ is nearly spot on out of the box with minimal tweaking....this I can't believe, 6 years later.
post #7320 of 18031 Old 11-18-2014, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got my 60" delivered today that was purchased from Sam's. It's all set up and using a wired Ethernet connection. Netflix 4K is streaming without any issues, but the Amazon/Iheart/Via Apps buttons do nothing. I can't even get the app screen to come up. Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page