***Official 2014 Vizio P Series Owner's Thread - Page 247 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4645Likes

post #7381 of 18031 Old 11-18-2014, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a p60 and I have both smooth motion effect and clear action turned off, but there still appears to be some subtle smoothing/interpolation processing that can't be completely turned off causing the "video" or "soe" look on some content. Is this normal or a software bug? I really don't want any of it, too distracting imo. thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7382 of 18031 Old 11-18-2014, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Was channel surfing today looking for good content to test some settings. Ended up stopping on Frontline on PBS! Yah no crap. Wow...I don't watch this channel but the video quality on this program is really solid!
lincoln_husker likes this.
post #7383 of 18031 Old 11-18-2014, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kbug77 View Post
Adding to the quirks/problems. Every ten minutes or so the tv screen goes black for 2 seconds and then comes back to life. I have it hooked up directly to my PC running 1080p at 120hz. CEC and Clear Action are both off. I just kicked it down to 60hz so maybe that will fix it. The ability to run my PC at 120hz was one of my main reasons for wanting the P series. So hopefully that isn't actually the problem here.
Maybe some else is having this issue, I don't remember seeing a post about it recently.

Can I ask what graphics card you have to output 1080p @ 120hz? Did you have to do anything special to get it to work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7384 of 18031 Old 11-19-2014, 03:02 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I notice in dark scenes my tv is having a lot of trouble with different shades of black. Is there a specific setting I should be looking at to fix this?
post #7385 of 18031 Old 11-19-2014, 03:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinz68 View Post
My reply was to post #7314 where you complained you could not calibrate your 55' P with calibration disk, that was the reason i gave you the link to Buzz 55" P calibration.

EDIT You also re posted the same in "Official calibration of the Vizio P series" thread post #187 and asked "Should I try other calibrations?"

Now you complain to Vizio about factory preset calibration, completely different situation.

Funny, on Vizio official P-Series presentation event the 65-inch P Series looked better than 65-inch Samsung HU8550 both out of box with default setting. Some people replies complained big time that both sets should have been calibrated by expert to be fair.

Partial Quote from the OP post, read much more HERE. plus the replies in the tread.
I spent $250 and ordered the X-Rite EODIS3 i1Display Pro.
I did apply the Buzz calibration, that is saved as "daytime av", it totally killed my FL as I noted in my post.

My email to Vizio was related - they put the below picture modes in a menu for general consumer usage, not the consumer.
I expect a mode called "calibrated" to be that, calibrated. It's definitely not showing that at all.
That's wrong and they need to be held accountable for saying so.

How they get the settings into the set? Real time online monitoring set-by-set? Not my job to guess at and frankly I don't care.
(I work in auto business, realtime online monitoring and calibration is something done daily and not a big deal)

Simply, is one expected to shell out $250 to tune/tweak a HDTV set in 2014? I hope not.
Maybe I did get a bad panel, I'll deal with that directly to Vizio customer support in the email.

post #7386 of 18031 Old 11-19-2014, 04:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Looking at your sig, you are an experienced AVS DIY'er. Honestly you should know better, TVs pretty much always have to be calibrated to meet "reference" levels. IMO it is a good value for the $.

While yes it is deceptive they use the word "calibrated" for a few pre-sets, its not the end of the world nor a huge offense. Especially since I don't see adverts saying save $$$ because our sets come pre-calibrated by professionals or something.

Every TV has issues, the trick is to find the TV with issues that don't bug you to death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
I did apply the Buzz calibration, that is saved as "daytime av", it totally killed my FL as I noted in my post.

My email to Vizio was related - they put the below picture modes in a menu for general consumer usage, not the consumer.
I expect a mode called "calibrated" to be that, calibrated. It's definitely not showing that at all.

How they get the settings into the set? Real time online monitoring set-by-set? Not my job to guess at and frankly I don't care.
(I work in auto business, realtime online monitoring and calibration is something done daily and not a big deal)

Simply, is one expected to shell out $250 to tune/tweak a HDTV set in 2014? I hope not.
Maybe I did get a bad panel, I'll deal with that directly to Vizio customer support in the email.

post #7387 of 18031 Old 11-19-2014, 04:54 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Is there an acknowledged list of the issues that are supposedly going to be fixed in the upcoming firmware update? I know the sharpness but has been indicated but anything else? Trying to decide if I should keep the tv or not. For the price its not bad but it certainly doesn't blow me away.
post #7388 of 18031 Old 11-19-2014, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtl46 View Post
I have had my tv for about 6 weeks which I thought was after the time they announced the UHD changes. I figured I would not get this feature but I did. Makes me wonder when the actual cut off was. If it were me, as a long time customer, I would ask for some special treatment.

I chatted with Netflix last night was basically told I was SOL.

Sent from an system/360
How much is the 4k version of Netflix? Isn't it 11.99 with 4 screens or is there an extra charge? I'm thinking about upgrading but afraid I'll lose the 7.99 price if I decide to go back to it.
post #7389 of 18031 Old 11-19-2014, 05:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildh View Post
My Average Enthusist Review - Vizio P60

, it's hard to beat this set given that $999.99 .
and there is the meat of your statement
other TV's at the same price point is what this TV will be shopped against in a retail environment

right now..IMO...there is nothing at this price point that offers the same value at price per inch of real estate

Vizio excels at this and always has

Warren

Rm 1 LG65E7 Marantz 8802A prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A and HK PA2400 amps B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM6's.rears
Rm 2 Sony 49x900E Denon X7200 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Sony 55x930E Yamaha A1060 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Sony 65Z9D
post #7390 of 18031 Old 11-19-2014, 05:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by suddenlyissoon View Post
I notice in dark scenes my tv is having a lot of trouble with different shades of black. Is there a specific setting I should be looking at to fix this?
Make sure you're in Calibrated Dark. Use one of the settings listed in post 3 of this thread.
Ph8te and lincoln_husker like this.
post #7391 of 18031 Old 11-19-2014, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
and there is the meat of your statement
other TV's at the same price point is what this TV will be shopped against in a retail environment

right now..IMO...there is nothing at this price point that offers the same value at price per inch of real estate

Vizio excels at this and always has

Warren
Agree with you 100%. Vizio's business model has never been to be the Ferrari of tvs where you get the absolute best of the best for a premium price. If that's what you want then you'll have to readjust your budget and pony up for a high end Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, etc but literally be ready to pay somewhere in the range of 2x-4x $ and then the question becomes are you incrementally getting that value? I'm not a tv expert, but I'm pretty business savvy and from that perspective vizio executes theirs quite well. If they were publicly traded, I'd be researching financials to consider a stake as an investor. It's not realistc for someone to expect a sub 4 second 0-60 out of a Chevy Impala! It might very well be achievable, but you're going to have to put some extra time and money into it for that to work.

That said, where I have it right now I'm really thrilled with the picture, screen size, value equation and from that "value" standpoint, I really think this thing is a standout.

On a side note, I played around with the color a bit more last night and think I have the flesh tones pretty darn good! I'm not seeing the quasi sunburn (or high blood pressure) skin tones anymore (except where it's warranted). There is a bit of sacrifice on the red tones but I'm being really picky there.

Last edited by wildh; 11-19-2014 at 06:41 AM.
post #7392 of 18031 Old 11-19-2014, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Someone mentioned the other day that their TV looked "smokey" at times and last night I put on Avatar BluRay and noticed a bit of this. Maybe I'm crazy but the picture didn't blow me away like I was expecting it to, it wasn't nearly as sharp as I thought it should be. I'm using buzz's calibration settings which I know aren't guaranteed but the picture looked unexpectedly fuzzy. Also there's a green hue to everything that I'm having trouble eliminating (I'm no calibrating expert).

When I first set the set up I logged into the Vizio Netflix app with no issues, since then I've not been able to connect. It says I'm connected via WiFi in settings but when I launch the app I get connection errors.

Also I snapped two pictures of my GLL issue when I first start my Xbox.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0385.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	373962   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0386.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	373970  

"To do a 'Kabob' you have to be both a tease, and a cockblocker. So the person you 'Kabob' gets his/her hopes up only to end up being severely disappointed." -jammybastard

Xbox Live GT - I Kabob I
post #7393 of 18031 Old 11-19-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 7010 Post(s)
Liked: 7098
I still haven't seen a "smokey" or fuzzy image that wasn't related to the source.

Kabob this is a known issue and was reported before. I believe a toggle of GLL "fixed" it (don't remember exactly). Report to Vizio so that they are aware.

Sent from an system/360
post #7394 of 18031 Old 11-19-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehwoneee View Post
How much is the 4k version of Netflix? Isn't it 11.99 with 4 screens or is there an extra charge? I'm thinking about upgrading but afraid I'll lose the 7.99 price if I decide to go back to it.

11.99 for the 4 screen package. You would lose the ability to go back to 7.99 if you wanted though as all prices have increased. At this time there isn't enough content to make me switch to the higher level.

Sent from an system/360
post #7395 of 18031 Old 11-19-2014, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:

The calibrated and calibrated dark settings on the tv are in fact semi calibrated. Just for giggles I ran a grey scale sweep on all of the picture mode settings. The amount of error on the standard viewing mode is shocking. Switching to calibrated and they grey scale is fairly close but still far off. Some values come in around a DE of 1 while the upper values say 90-100% have a DE of 5 or 6 and the luminance is way off as well. Moving to the calibrated dark setting however the settings are very close (on my set at least). You have to remember to turn on the dimming zones for 100% and match the backlight value to equate the same brightness when you turn off dimming zones but done correctly and almost all values for the grey scale reside around 1-2 except 100% which had s DE around 4.5. This may not be acceptable for users like us with A meter but for the average consumer that is fairly close such that they will be happy and believe it is in fact calibrated. I'm not defending vizio is saying they are in fact calibrated but there is a large difference in the error using the calibrated and standard picture modes.
post #7396 of 18031 Old 11-19-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDMB View Post
Is there an acknowledged list of the issues that are supposedly going to be fixed in the upcoming firmware update? I know the sharpness but has been indicated but anything else? Trying to decide if I should keep the tv or not. For the price its not bad but it certainly doesn't blow me away.

No one know until it is released. The "major" ones are the Clear Action bug and the "sharpness" bug. As with any company though no one knows what will be fixed until the firmware is released.

Not sure what issues you are having, but you'll have a tough time beating the picture at this price point.

Sent from an system/360
post #7397 of 18031 Old 11-19-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandirk View Post
Looking at your sig, you are an experienced AVS DIY'er. Honestly you should know better, TVs pretty much always have to be calibrated to meet "reference" levels. IMO it is a good value for the $.

While yes it is deceptive they use the word "calibrated" for a few pre-sets, its not the end of the world nor a huge offense. Especially since I don't see adverts saying save $$$ because our sets come pre-calibrated by professionals or something.

Every TV has issues, the trick is to find the TV with issues that don't bug you to death.
I understand, I've grown much in things AV by hanging out here at AVS.
Audio, PJ, HT building, etc, it's been a truly fun journey and I enjoy it.
I'm a hobbyist 2nd, first and foremost I'm dad to 3 kids ages 12/10/8 and all their endeavors, and of course my wife and her pursuits....

I've also come to expect companies to simply "do what they say", if they advertise that their TV has different modes, and one of them is "Calibrated", then as a end user I expect that to closely match the "reference" std.
I'm putting myself in the consumer shoes here, not the manuf shoes.

Again, I work for a AutoOE, we build millions of fully integrted vehicles every year in USA/Mexico, I'm fully immersed in the R&D cycle from concept thru launch.
When we make a claim, we being my marketing side, R&D has to offer hard proof to justify that claim. Yes, there are lawsuits for most every claim made, you'd be surprised what people sue for.

I've re-read my owners manual to see what/if there are dis-claimers they have there in relation to their statements.
http://cdn.vizio.com/documents/downl...M_P552uiB2.pdf
Quote:
Calibrated mode
sets the picture settings to values ideal for watching TV in a brightly-lit room.

Picture Mode Management Settings
allow you to make precise adjustments to the picture and to create picture modes to save groups of picture settings.
The Color Tuner, 11 Point White Balance, and test patterns allow technicians to manually calibrate the TV. Calibration requires specialized training, an input with precisely set colors, and a specialized light meter.
Ok - no hard statement made, and no disclaimers either.....guess I'm so litigious shy from my day job

Not world peace, yes I'm more than capable to spend $250 and get a meter and then calibrate my TV, but in this day and age I expect more for "contained display" devices.

For PJ's, where there are many factors that affect what our eye see's, screen gain/color, I guess I'm more lenient on those having a mode called "calibration".
But when a "contained display" device, like my 55" P set, can be fully measured and calibrated online and obviously mine is not then I'll call Vizio out on the table.

Sorry to de-rail this thread with my viewpoints on companies being held to high ethical standards, delivering what they imply by saying "Calibrated".
post #7398 of 18031 Old 11-19-2014, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkyle View Post
The calibrated and calibrated dark settings on the tv are in fact semi calibrated. Just for giggles I ran a grey scale sweep on all of the picture mode settings. The amount of error on the standard viewing mode is shocking. Switching to calibrated and they grey scale is fairly close but still far off. Some values come in around a DE of 1 while the upper values say 90-100% have a DE of 5 or 6 and the luminance is way off as well. Moving to the calibrated dark setting however the settings are very close (on my set at least). You have to remember to turn on the dimming zones for 100% and match the backlight value to equate the same brightness when you turn off dimming zones but done correctly and almost all values for the grey scale reside around 1-2 except 100% which had s DE around 4.5. This may not be acceptable for users like us with A meter but for the average consumer that is fairly close such that they will be happy and believe it is in fact calibrated. I'm not defending vizio is saying they are in fact calibrated but there is a large difference in the error using the calibrated and standard picture modes.
Saw your post after I made mine, thx for your comments...my meter will be here next week (free shipping via Amazon).....
post #7399 of 18031 Old 11-19-2014, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Saw your post after I made mine, thx for your comments...my meter will be here next week (free shipping via Amazon).....
Note however that I did not look at the color accuracy just grey scale so can't comment on that. I saw you posted in the calibration forum as well. I added a tid bit of info there to help you out. Let me know what I can do to help. I believe once you have it dialed in correctly you will be very happy with your purchase.
post #7400 of 18031 Old 11-19-2014, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

In writing some info on the calibration forum I just thought of something. When the firmware is released we may see a drastic influx of complaints. It is almost certain calibration will need to be done again once they update the dimming scheme. All of those setting copiers will most likely freak as their sets will be very off. This may not be the case but I'm expecting the forum to blow up again once it is released. : /
Ph8te likes this.
post #7401 of 18031 Old 11-19-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
In writing some info on the calibration forum I just thought of something. When the firmware is released we may see a drastic influx of complaints. It is almost certain calibration will need to be done again once they update the dimming scheme. All of those setting copiers will most likely freak as their sets will be very off. This may not be the case but I'm expecting the forum to blow up again once it is released. : /

I expect nothing less or an influx of requests for updated settings to be posted.

Sent from an system/360
post #7402 of 18031 Old 11-19-2014, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Someone who worked for Sam's said that [link removed]he saw on the computer that they paid $1522 for the things, losing $524 selling them at $998.
This may not be how it worked. I talked to a Costco store manager on Nov. 16th, the day after the P60 sale. He claimed there was a one-day-only $650 vendor (Vizio) rebate to enable the sales. Because of that, he could not match his own price for the P60 I bought at $1650 earlier. If that is true, it was Vizio taking the hit.

I ended up returning the P60 I got from Costco and kept the one I ordered online from Sam's at $998. I cannot thank the few folks here enough for bringing it to my attention when the sale first went live online!
post #7403 of 18031 Old 11-19-2014, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyAnimal View Post
so, has anybody actually had the fedex man wait there until you opened it, and plugged it in to inspect it ?? my email says not to sign until i inspect it. this is the first time buying a tv online, so i'm curious
I did just that yesterday. The fedex guy was pretty nice. He not only helped me unbox the tv to inspect the lcd, but also put the panel back upside down to the packing material so that I can install the stand(thanks to fafrd for this useful tip!)
post #7404 of 18031 Old 11-19-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:

Oh the joys.

I thought of this exact same thing yesterday and it very well could. I don't mind fiddling so it wouldn't bother me that much, but I'd be kind of upset if I paid someone a few hundo for a proper calibration and then the firmware caused a massive change.

If the meter wasn't $250, I'd buy one and play around more. Although I'd still likely end up adjusting to what pleases my eye as I'd rather just watch a show/game and be liking it.
post #7405 of 18031 Old 11-19-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
guess I'm so litigious shy from my day job

So true dude! I deal with the kind of thing all the time too. Frustrating really. You never answered before...MTB like Mountain Bike?
post #7406 of 18031 Old 11-19-2014, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBoy89 View Post
Can I ask what graphics card you have to output 1080p @ 120hz? Did you have to do anything special to get it to work?
I have crossfired AMD HD 7970s. HDMI 5 is the only port on the TV that supports 1080p 120hz. I just set it to such in catalyst control center. The same way I would normally change the resolution. I imagine whatever program Nvidia users use would have the same process.
post #7407 of 18031 Old 11-19-2014, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by metag View Post
This may not be how it worked. I talked to a Costco store manager on Nov. 16th, the day after the P60 sale. He claimed there was a one-day-only $650 vendor (Vizio) rebate to enable the sales. Because of that, he could not match his own price for the P60 I bought at $1650 earlier. If that is true, it was Vizio taking the hit.

I ended up returning the P60 I got from Costco and kept the one I ordered online from Sam's at $998. I cannot thank the few folks here enough for bringing it to my attention when the sale first went live online!
Even if Vizio was giving out awesome vendor credits on that day it doesn't change the fact that we still got the TV way below normal cost.
lincoln_husker likes this.
post #7408 of 18031 Old 11-19-2014, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been reading most of the posts about the P60 and am using Buzz's dark settings. What I am seeing is a great picture in HD. I'm wondering in SD where the black bars are top and bottom they are jumping up and down. Also my signal is routed thru a cable box then a pioneer 1123 then to the tv. I'd like to know what rez. should I be using throughout the signal?
post #7409 of 18031 Old 11-19-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildh View Post
So true dude! I deal with the kind of thing all the time too. Frustrating really. You never answered before...MTB like Mountain Bike?
Yep - I raced Mountain Bike's 1995-2000, 1996-1998 at national NORBA level, here's my best finish 3rd place 1998 NORBA Nationals Mt Snow.
I was 35 then, there is no nearly no better feeling that passing "kids" 25 year s old while going uphill ....

Was very active @ the Michigan MMBA level, serving as local bike chapter officers also 1996-1998.
did the triathlon "thing" for 2 years, 2 years of adventure races....

Now I'm showing my 8 & 10 year old the various trails, racing days long behind me - I'm just a weekend riding warrior.

Sorry for OT discussion, old memories .... peace.
post #7410 of 18031 Old 11-19-2014, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln_husker View Post
wow, is this stated somewhere clearly for you to see in their terms?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabob983 View Post
Someone mentioned the other day that their TV looked "smokey" at times and last night I put on Avatar BluRay and noticed a bit of this. Maybe I'm crazy but the picture didn't blow me away like I was expecting it to, it wasn't nearly as sharp as I thought it should be. I'm using buzz's calibration settings which I know aren't guaranteed but the picture looked unexpectedly fuzzy. Also there's a green hue to everything that I'm having trouble eliminating (I'm no calibrating expert).

When I first set the set up I logged into the Vizio Netflix app with no issues, since then I've not been able to connect. It says I'm connected via WiFi in settings but when I launch the app I get connection errors.

Also I snapped two pictures of my GLL issue when I first start my Xbox.
I had this issue with destiny on my xbox as well. When it happens i just switch sources back and forth and its good to go. Seems to be a handshaking thing. Might have something to do with game mode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page