***Official 2014 Vizio P Series Owner's Thread - Page 249 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4645Likes

post #7441 of 18031 Old 11-19-2014, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Also do not rename it after you modify it or you lose its special local dimming algorithm.
Thanks for pointing this out. I had absolutely no idea and it makes a world of difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7442 of 18031 Old 11-19-2014, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyAnimal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley9576 View Post
I waited 6 weeks and got the same thing. Replacement coming tomorrow. I hope yours comes quickly. What size?
a 60 inch

where did you order from, and was it delivered today ?
70" my original delivery date was Monday. Now a new one comes tomorrow. How long do you have to wait
post #7443 of 18031 Old 11-19-2014, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked: 2459
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
When we make a claim, we being my marketing side, R&D has to offer hard proof to justify that claim. Yes, there are lawsuits for most every claim made, you'd be surprised what people sue for.

Not world peace, yes I'm more than capable to spend $250 and get a meter and then calibrate my TV, but in this day and age I expect more for "contained display" devices.

Sorry to de-rail this thread with my viewpoints on companies being held to high ethical standards, delivering what they imply by saying "Calibrated".
Sue Vizio for false advertising? Best of luck. "calibrated" and "calibrated dark" are nothing more than names. Do you really think they calibrate each individual display once off the assembly line? It would take hours. Time is money and the only cases of this actually happening are with $20K professional displays. Forget it. And get over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Just measured my letterbox bars.
On Calibrated set to 120 cd/m2 peak brightness, black bars measure 0.009 cd/m2
On Calibrated Dark set to 100 cd/m2 peak brightness, black letterbox bars measure 0.006 cd/m2
Not sure I trust my i1DisplayPro for these low-level measurements (I have in on the maximum 1 second integration time), but if correct, this would correspond to contrast levels of 13,333:1 for Calibrated (daytime viewing) and 16,667:1 for Calibrated Dark (darkroom viewing).
Not quite all the way to top plasma-levels, but the black bars are utterly invisible in a dark room with even dark 'space-like' content playing.
I'm pretty happy so far.
Have fun with your new meter. Be patient (with yourself). Calibrating is not a skill you will learn overnight, and the P series has it's own set of challenges.
Ph8te, Heinz68, GatorJZ and 1 others like this.

Buzz
THX Certified Level II Video Calibrator

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7444 of 18031 Old 11-19-2014, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71 View Post

Googer - A software issue/bug related to CA is my thought as well, but I am not sure, and it is strange. Mine is a different issue than aiter's that you are responding to, but I have figured out that my issue it is not only intermittent in that it comes and goes, but also it is interesting that the location of the dark spot is not consistent, even on a the same TV. I would guess that it is simply that some number of zones get out of sync while strobing the back-light. I can't imagine that it's the hardware since the location varies but who knows?.

For reference (I know how hard it is to keep up on this thread) I made the following post with pictures before I returned my first P70: LINK -> ....post28007874

I now have a second one that is doing the exact same thing. As quoted above, DvdJags had the same issue on his first P70 as well as his replacement...so between the two of us, that is 4 of 4 screens that show the same rectangular dark spots . I would be willing to bet that more owners have this issue, but have not seen it since it only happens if you turn Clear Action on, it is hard to see in most content, and that it comes and goes (will usually/sometimes go away by cycling power). Obviously the first thing I did with the replacement was to turn it on and look for it. It wasn't there initially and I didn't notice that the 2nd set had it for a few days. I would hate to exchange another set if it is going to be fixed with a firmware update, FYI neither of my sets have updated past 1.0.0.0.

So again, If you have a P70 (or any P), turn on Clear Action and go to your flat test patterns (picture management -> color tuner) and report if you see them. And even if you don't have them now, keep an eye out. I notice it on solid screens of commercials, on the red startup Netflix screen and sometimes on a solid football field. I have attached pictures of both the 1st and 2nd TVs that I have had...you will notice that it is always on the right but all of the pictures have the spots in different patterns.

I love this TV, and am sure this issue will be solved one way or another, either by replacement or firmware...I am really curious to know how widespread this is and what everyone's opinions/theories are.
Hello,
I have owned my P70 for a little more than a month. Since I first started watching it, the screen has produced the dark rectangle almost exactly like the bottom left picture attached. Has anyone else that has this problem with their P70 found a solution? If so, was that in a replacement set or some kind of repair? I would like to utilize the full functionality of the set, so I'd like one that does not exhibit this dark rectangle, regardless of the settings.

I did purchase mine from Costco, so I have around 50 days left in my return window. Other than this issue, I do love the set.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Joe

post #7445 of 18031 Old 11-19-2014, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by djcatskratch View Post
So my P60 I ordered from the Sam's Club sale arrived today. Box was in pristine condition, I had a coworker come by and help me set everything up. Turned on the TV and everything was perfect.

After about 40 or so minutes of playing PS4 games, a vertical line on the far left of the TV showed up about 2-3 inches across. At first it was cycling random colors and then it went solid black. Have done factory resets and it shows up on everything like the built in Netflix, covering part of the Menu, etc.

Just wondering if there are any suggestions for fixing this, and if not, what should be my best course of action? Should I contact Visio first or start with Sam's Club. I know all the stores and online are out of stock due to the sale, but I just wanted advise on what to do next. I've never had a TV go out on me before like this, so I'm clueless as what to do next.

On the bright side, at least the TV is pretty much 90% working so if I have to wait for a replacement, I can just deal with the sideways letterboxing. Thanks for your time everyone. I'm pretty bummed.
Just a quick update on mine, if anyone has ant ideas or what is causing this, I'd appreciate it.

Now it seems to be displaying random colors on the left edge that went black after a while. It's been cycling through some colors and the active backlight even seems to be trying to work. I'm playing a game with some pulsing lights and when they are on that side of the screen, I can see it getting brighter and darker.

If someone could tell me the name of this phenomenon, I could use it when trying to describe my issue to repairs/tech support/etc. Thanks!
post #7446 of 18031 Old 11-19-2014, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6997 Post(s)
Liked: 7067
Turn clear Action off

Sent from an system/360
post #7447 of 18031 Old 11-19-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMJoe View Post
Hello,
I have owned my P70 for a little more than a month. Since I first started watching it, the screen has produced the dark rectangle almost exactly like the bottom left picture attached. Has anyone else that has this problem with their P70 found a solution? If so, was that in a replacement set or some kind of repair? I would like to utilize the full functionality of the set, so I'd like one that does not exhibit this dark rectangle, regardless of the settings.

I did purchase mine from Costco, so I have around 50 days left in my return window. Other than this issue, I do love the set.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Joe

Turn clear action off.

Sent from an system/360
post #7448 of 18031 Old 11-19-2014, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stankia View Post
Just got mine delivered. Anyone tried to run it from a PC? I connected it via HDMI to my PC which is running a 280x GPU and even though my PC recognizes it the TV says NO SIGNAL on all HDMI inputs. Any help?
Fixed it. Turns out it was a faulty HDMI port on my GPU, switched out to another card and it works perfectly.

Another issue, has anyone got their Plex Server to work with this TV? As soon as I launch the TV app it just freezes and nothing is going on...
post #7449 of 18031 Old 11-19-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Turn clear action off.

Sent from an system/360
I'd prefer to use the full functionality of the set. If I return the set and get a replacement, will the second set have the same issue? Is this phenomenon uniform across the P70 population?
post #7450 of 18031 Old 11-19-2014, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx74ray View Post
That's very strange, have you tried different sources? Any BR playback?
I am also a little confused/disappointed by the SME settings. While I do not have your issue, when I activate the settings all choices result in aggressive SOE. In other words SME Low looks just like Mid and High settings. I find the scale of Low, Mid, and High all acting as High!
It happens on all sources (DirecTV, Blu Ray, Netflix) and on all HDMI inputs. It's not as strong as SME Low, but I guess I'm sensitive to any SOE (coming from a Samsung b860 plasma and Vizio e-70).
Also a few others have said their DirecTV signal looks great, but mine looks worse with most content compared to my other tv's. Lots of blocking, noise, lack of detail. Must just be the compression DTV uses and the upscaling is unable to improve it. I think this TV is looking like it might get returned, sadly.
post #7451 of 18031 Old 11-19-2014, 07:34 PM

Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildh View Post
Was channel surfing today looking for good content to test some settings. Ended up stopping on Frontline on PBS! Yah no crap. Wow...I don't watch this channel but the video quality on this program is really solid!
+1 Most PBS stations are 1080i and real good video quality (depending on the content) they have a few 720P stations also.
post #7452 of 18031 Old 11-19-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMJoe View Post
I'd prefer to use the full functionality of the set. If I return the set and get a replacement, will the second set have the same issue? Is this phenomenon uniform across the P70 population?

If turning clear action off fixes it then this is the "clear action bug". It is a known issue and supposedly will be fixed in a upcoming firmware. All sizes have it depending on the content I rarely notice it.

Sent from an system/360
post #7453 of 18031 Old 11-19-2014, 07:51 PM

Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by metag View Post
This may not be how it worked. I talked to a Costco store manager on Nov. 16th, the day after the P60 sale. He claimed there was a one-day-only $650 vendor (Vizio) rebate to enable the sales. Because of that, he could not match his own price for the P60 I bought at $1650 earlier. If that is true, it was Vizio taking the hit.

I ended up returning the P60 I got from Costco and kept the one I ordered online from Sam's at $998. I cannot thank the few folks here enough for bringing it to my attention when the sale first went live online!

I thought the one day door buster sales were Subsidised by Vizio . I mentioned that earlier no way a store chain is going to loose $650.00 per customer on one item even in limited quantities just to get them in the door when they are likely paying around $100- $150.00 per cust in advertizing as it is as it is to get them in the door .

That being said it looks like it was a great deal for the folks that got in on it it might get Vizio some incremental business and exposure for the new models when folks see them in customers homes if they like them they might go buy them at the reg. price !

I bought a Sony FD HD Trinitron at Costco some years ago it was about $500.00 cheaper than B.B or Crutchfield for the same set at the time that price lasted about a month or so even when it ended it was still below the other stores .All (3) Trinitrons here are long gone good sets back in the day though lasted many many years .

Last edited by tubetwister; 11-19-2014 at 08:45 PM.
post #7454 of 18031 Old 11-19-2014, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Well, I picked up a P60 at Sam's last Saturday. It seems I am either very easily pleased, or I lucked out and got a P60 without any glaring defects. It has its quirks, but nothing that is a deal breaker for a $1K TV.

Thanks for the calibration suggestions posted in this thread. They gave me a place to start, and made significant improvements. It works great as a monitor for the HTPC as well. I have used several TVs from 32-55" as monitors and this is by far the easiest on the eyes.

Oh, still the 1.0.0 firmware.
post #7455 of 18031 Old 11-19-2014, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
The CA bug doesn't bother me since I have yet to see anything which was improved by turning CA on. All it does is dim the picture. It's a boondoggle as far as I'm concerned.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #7456 of 18031 Old 11-19-2014, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Received my Sam's Club P60 special today. The box appeared as if they slid it down the highway the 800 miles it traveled to get to me.

Big surprise, DOA.

30 minutes on the phone with a good ol' American chronic smoker who coughed in my ear the whole time and was completely clueless. I may or may not get an onsite swap in 5 to 6 business days. Best case scenario, they might call before Thanksgiving to arrange something. I see a call back to them in the near future where they will have no idea what I'm talking about and I'll get to start over.

There seems to be a really high number of damaged or non-working TV's in this thread compared to other manufacturer threads in here.
post #7457 of 18031 Old 11-19-2014, 11:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:

On Calibrated Dark set to 100 cd/m2 peak brightness, black letterbox bars measure 0.006 cd/m2

Not sure I trust my i1DisplayPro for these low-level measurements (I have in on the maximum 1 second integration time), but if correct, this would correspond to contrast levels of 13,333:1 for Calibrated (daytime viewing) and 16,667:1 for Calibrated Dark (darkroom viewing).

Not quite all the way to top plasma-levels, but the black bars are utterly invisible in a dark room with even dark 'space-like' content playing.

I'm pretty happy so far.

What did you set the backlight & or brightness to for 100 cd/m?

Also is your set turning completely off when there is an all black screen? Noticed it on mine even when in Calibrated Dark mode.
post #7458 of 18031 Old 11-20-2014, 05:33 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
For those that bought the P60 online and shipped from Sam's Club, are you calling their customer support for replacing the TV or are you calling Vizio for replacements? And did anyone take a look at my posts to see what the name of the issue I'm having is so I can relay that information to them. Thanks again!
post #7459 of 18031 Old 11-20-2014, 05:37 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Is there any good 4k content I can test? I tried breaking bad and some moving pictures or something on Netflix 4k last night and I wasn't too impressed. It seemed a bit fuzzy looking and saw some artifacts. It may be my internet connection although I did have the setting to high and my speed should be 50mbps. I wanted to try the files jstanton had posted earlier in the thread but they don't seem to be availble anymore and other 4k files I've tried are unsupported. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
post #7460 of 18031 Old 11-20-2014, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehwoneee View Post
Is there any good 4k content I can test? I tried breaking bad and some moving pictures or something on Netflix 4k last night and I wasn't too impressed. It seemed a bit fuzzy looking and saw some artifacts. It may be my internet connection although I did have the setting to high and my speed should be 50mbps. I wanted to try the files jstanton had posted earlier in the thread but they don't seem to be availble anymore and other 4k files I've tried are unsupported. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Press ctrl+shift+alt+d and you can see what resolution its running at. It changes as it plays after checking your speeds. Wish they had a button to force a res.
post #7461 of 18031 Old 11-20-2014, 05:55 AM

Liked: 3
Quote:
it may be that you need to go to "your account tab" in the your profile section you will see Playback settings make sure the Data Usage per Screen is set to high see if that helps I'm streaming house of card season two and it looks real good
post #7462 of 18031 Old 11-20-2014, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2448 Post(s)
Liked: 2051
Quote:

I'm pretty happy so far.
We knew the letterbox bars would be near absolute black levels way back in January but how are the black levels with what's between the black bars? I know you can't really measure effective contrast but how do checkerboard sweaters and pigeons look? And of course there is that scene from Tron, which of the 3 comparison shots is it closes to?

LG 65B8
Sonos Playbase
MS Xbox One S (using strictly as a disk player)
post #7463 of 18031 Old 11-20-2014, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfer View Post
What did you set the backlight & or brightness to for 100 cd/m?

Also is your set turning completely off when there is an all black screen? Noticed it on mine even when in Calibrated Dark mode.
To achieve the 100 cd/m I would likely assume that this was done with brightness at 100% and clear action turned off. Possibly even dimming zones turned off. Calibrated dark may provide a much better dimming scheme but unless my room is pitch black it is just to dim for my liking. I measured a peak output on my P70 with clear action on, dimming on, and brightness set to 100% and only achieved 23 ftL
post #7464 of 18031 Old 11-20-2014, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemustang View Post
Quote:
Press ctrl+shift+alt+d and you can see what resolution its running at. It changes as it plays after checking your speeds. Wish they had a button to force a res.
I'm watching it through the netflix app on the tv so I can't do that, but I have set it to high in the playback settings on Netflix. Any 4k test files that will work on the vizio through usb out there?
post #7465 of 18031 Old 11-20-2014, 06:16 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 114
http://www.cepro.com/article/85-inch...biggest_4k_tv/

ok totally unrelated but if they can get this sub 6k and its a good pq..........
post #7466 of 18031 Old 11-20-2014, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe215 View Post

it may be that you need to go to "your account tab" in the your profile section you will see Playback settings make sure the Data Usage per Screen is set to high see if that helps I'm streaming house of card season two and it looks real good
Ive been meaning to watch house of cards. I'll have to try it out tonight. Hopefully it's both seasons at 4k. I heard somewhere it was only season 2 and I don't really want to jump into season 2 first.
post #7467 of 18031 Old 11-20-2014, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Ive been meaning to watch house of cards. I'll have to try it out tonight. Hopefully it's both seasons at 4k. I heard somewhere it was only season 2 and I don't really want to jump into season 2 first.
you could test with the black list also in 4k & another very good show
post #7468 of 18031 Old 11-20-2014, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanytvstosee View Post
http://www.cepro.com/article/85-inch...biggest_4k_tv/

ok totally unrelated but if they can get this sub 6k and its a good pq..........
Don't know how it'll perform, but at least there's some hope for those of us wanting a roughly 80" display. The Vizio reference series is only 65" or 120".

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #7469 of 18031 Old 11-20-2014, 06:34 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
The Tears of Steel video linked in this post looks great.
post #7470 of 18031 Old 11-20-2014, 06:48 AM

for other 4k content also search the youtube app on the tv , this video looks awesome

COSTA RICA IN 4K 60fps (ULTRA HD) w/ Freefly Movie

search for that video
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page