***Official 2014 Vizio P Series Owner's Thread - Page 259 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4644Likes

post #7741 of 18021 Old 11-23-2014, 09:41 AM
faz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compeau View Post
Here's another 4K video that plays natively on the TV.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/zd...h.265-Zion.mkv
How do you play this on the TV? In fact, the demo content on page 1 - how do you play that on the TV? I had some friends over last night and couldn't get a 4k demo up there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7742 of 18021 Old 11-23-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6648 Post(s)
Liked: 6467
Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post
How do you play this on the TV? In fact, the demo content on page 1 - how do you play that on the TV? I had some friends over last night and couldn't get a 4k demo up there.

Download it to a USB stick. Plug it into your TV. Go to "multimedia" via the "v" button on the remote. Then navigate to the media you want to play.

Sent from an system/360
post #7743 of 18021 Old 11-23-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by zguy1 View Post
Bravo Sir! I watched the UCLA/USC game with these settings and liked it (as well as the outcome of the game!). The only thing I'm noticing on my P70 is that the reds are still looking a bit towards orange vs Googer's calibrated dark settings. Can you advise what to adjust to "true" the reds a bit?
Each set will be a little different although the grey scales do seem to track very close between sets. In order to get the Reds to your liking play with the hue first raising it on one click at a time then move the saturation. Most likely moving the hue up to 2 or 3 should do the trick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7744 of 18021 Old 11-23-2014, 10:33 AM
faz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Download it to a USB stick. Plug it into your TV. Go to "multimedia" via the "v" button on the remote. Then navigate to the media you want to play.

Sent from an system/360
Duh-oh! Got it, thanks.
post #7745 of 18021 Old 11-23-2014, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Are there any common issues with these that need be checked for when first powering it on? I read back several pages and did not see anything to worry me.
post #7746 of 18021 Old 11-23-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpem View Post
Are there any common issues with these that need be checked for when first powering it on? I read back several pages and did not see anything to worry me.

Did you check page 1?

Just check that uniformity is ok, you don't have any dead pixels, etc. Basically everything you would check on any other TV.

Sent from an system/360
post #7747 of 18021 Old 11-23-2014, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by OconRecon View Post
I watch Vizio.com, Amazon, and Best Buy. Been 2499. It's 2099 on those sites as if this morning.

Costco is 1999, but there isn't one near me.

Where is "everywhere"? Maybe there's something close to me. I'm ready to pull the trigger.
Best Buy will price match Costco, if you have one near by.
post #7748 of 18021 Old 11-23-2014, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sams Club screwed me royally.

We got in on the deal last Saturday at my local SC in Elmsford, NY. Well, I was finishing up my painting of the living room, and didn't get a chance to set it up till last night. Long story short, I plugged it in, and the screen was damaged horribly.

So I box it up and take it back to Sams today, only to be told by the manager on duty that there's no more in stock, they no longer stock that model in-store, and if I order it online, I don't get the sales price. So now I'm stuck with a broken tv. All I can do is return it for a refund of the $999. But I can't get it back at that price. This Sux.
post #7749 of 18021 Old 11-23-2014, 11:09 AM

Liked: 12
Bestbuy.com has these on sale right now. I just scored the 65" for $1499.
post #7750 of 18021 Old 11-23-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWyvern View Post

We got in on the deal last Saturday at my local SC in Elmsford, NY. Well, I was finishing up my painting of the living room, and didn't get a chance to set it up till last night. Long story short, I plugged it in, and the screen was damaged horribly.

So I box it up and take it back to Sams today, only to be told by the manager on duty that there's no more in stock, they no longer stock that model in-store, and if I order it online, I don't get the sales price. So now I'm stuck with a broken tv. All I can do is return it for a refund of the $999. But I can't get it back at that price. This Sux.

Time to start going up the chain. I wouldn't take that for an answer.

Sent from an system/360
post #7751 of 18021 Old 11-23-2014, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Original Iron Man View Post
P65 is on sale at Best Buy for $1,499 now. Don't need to wait till black friday.

If anyone is interested, Best Buy has the P65 on sale now at $1,499. Grab them online while you can. This is $700 off retail price.
Thanks for the info! Just bought it online, going to pick it up later. Woooo, exciting times!
post #7752 of 18021 Old 11-23-2014, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by shayne54 View Post
Same here. Brought my lg 55" back as soon as the opened.
post #7753 of 18021 Old 11-23-2014, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by shayne54 View Post
This is a killer deal and puts it at $1k below the 65" sony 4k set I have been looking at. Is this a no brainer price for this tv? Is the sony 65" 850b $1k better than the Vizio?
post #7754 of 18021 Old 11-23-2014, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:

Same thing happened to me. I ordered mine online, worked fine for a few hours and then developed a giant line through the tv and started bugging out. I packed it up and went to Sam's and they said nothing they could do, the manager was even rude to me! I had to settle for my 999.99 back and canceled my membership.

I'm hoping that I see the P55 on sale sometime soon and I'll try that.
post #7755 of 18021 Old 11-23-2014, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyh View Post
Thanks so much... my room is also dimly lit.. I will look at the Costa Rica video.. I did the daytime settings already.. Are you going to stay with this tv? Its hard because i love it when its a great HD feed but when its a crappy feed its horrible.. so sad...

Barring anything unforeseen, I am sticking with it. Once you get the colors close, and get it dialed in, it looks pretty good. Any 60" TV will disappoint if you run 480i into it, and I accept that. I care mainly what Blu-rays look like in a dim viewing area, and on that level it excels. The black levels are pretty darned good which was my major concern. I caught myself putting Fight Club on about 5AM today and man, it makes a difference compared to my previous TV. Gorgeous darks.

Besides, the wife is happy with it, and as dad said, "If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy." Momma is happy, and I have a TV to last a few years until OLEDs make it to more reasonable price levels.
BmetFerg likes this.
post #7756 of 18021 Old 11-23-2014, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
Quote:
So now I'm stuck with a broken tv. All I can do is return it for a refund of the $999. But I can't get it back at that price. This Sux.

It's still under MFR warranty, no? Call Vizio and get them to replace it.
Ph8te and EricSP60 like this.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #7757 of 18021 Old 11-23-2014, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I also purchased the 60" from sams as an upgrade from a 42" vl vizio about 5 yrs old. I was hoping for better picture considering I loved that vizio and it was a budget model. I was really impressed with the black levels buti feel the picture is really soft, and uneven. The picture can range from amazing to terrible. I tried some of the calibration settings from some of the posts I've seen but I find myself re tweaking all the time. I used the hd basics disk on my other tv's and loved the results. Not on this TV. The blacks and who's get clipped and the sharpness control doesn't seem to enhance edge detail at all. As a result I bought the Samsung un65h6203 for the same price and I love .
post #7758 of 18021 Old 11-23-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeauxCrazy View Post
This is a killer deal and puts it at $1k below the 65" sony 4k set I have been looking at. Is this a no brainer price for this tv? Is the sony 65" 850b $1k better than the Vizio?

Worth is something that only you can answer really. What's 1k worth to you? If we say yes, then you find out that it's not to you then we look like "bad people".

Sent from an system/360
post #7759 of 18021 Old 11-23-2014, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

Either call Vizio or call Sam's customer service. I spoke with the online side yesterday and they said there are 130 sets in stock.
post #7760 of 18021 Old 11-23-2014, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Worth is something that only you can answer really. What's 1k worth to you? If we say yes, then you find out that it's not to you then we look like "bad people".

Sent from an system/360
Totally understand, I'm coming from a samsung ln46a650 that has lasted me 6 years and still get complimented on. Wanting to go 65" or 70" for my next tv, just never had a Vizio before so I worry if I'll get the longevity out of this one like I did with the samsung. Or even the PQ.

I won't tell y'all you are bad people though, any help would be awesome.
RedWyvern likes this.
post #7761 of 18021 Old 11-23-2014, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just ordered the P70 from Sam's Online for $1998 shipped. Can't beat that deal anytime soon on the P70 I'm thinking. Added the SquareTrade warranty for another $100. Should be here in three days!
post #7762 of 18021 Old 11-23-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeauxCrazy View Post
Totally understand, I'm coming from a samsung ln46a650 that has lasted me 6 years and still get complimented on. Wanting to go 65" or 70" for my next tv, just never had a Vizio before so I worry if I'll get the longevity out of this one like I did with the samsung. Or even the PQ.

I won't tell y'all you are bad people though, any help would be awesome.

Check out the pro review sites that are posted on the 1st page. Not sure many owners compared both of the models you're looking at. Those reviews will give you a good idea of what to expect as will going through the owners threads of each model. For 1k (at least for me) it better be damn good. Also remember longevity isn't what it once was. I just gave away a Samsung DLP where the only thing I did was change out the bulb once. There were things that were starting to go, but it gave me 9 years of fairly solid service. With my P series purchase I expect to change it out in the next year or two to take better advantage of the UHD sets that are "more updated". You are jumping into a "transition" period as far as tech goes.

I have I say I am still impressed and have caught myself just watching demo (non UHD) and some small parts of movies and forgetting that I only meant to do that for a short time. Is everything perfect? No, but I no longer expect perfection from a TV as that will end up being an unending search. One thing I am still getting used to is how bright this set can get. The whites are eyes earring at times in my day mode.

I wish you luck in your journey as I know it isn't an easy one.

Sent from an system/360
post #7763 of 18021 Old 11-23-2014, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDMB View Post
I just got a 60 inch Samsung F8500 to compare with the 60 inch P series I got a Sams Club. To my eyes, there is no comparison - the F8500 seriers blows the picture quality of the P series out of the water. I wanted to like the P series but just couldnt get the picture to make liking - always appeared dull. I also had problem with a line of glare on the P series (a product of my room) but that doesnt seem present on the F8500 - the glare filter on that set seems to work well.
Are you using Calibrated Dark mode (without renaming it). That has a separate algorithm from the rest of the presets.
The Vizio also has a matte screen, while the plasma is fully reflective, so it should reflect a lot less.
post #7764 of 18021 Old 11-23-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:

This can't be right.
They might just be out of stock currently. I mean it is a week after the sale.

They have to get more in stock in the coming weeks, at the very least before the 3 month deadline to return/exchange it.
post #7765 of 18021 Old 11-23-2014, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche060 View Post
Can anyone help me choose if I am better off getting the 80 inch M801i-A3 or the 70 inch 4K? Both are the same price. For the 10 extra inches, would I be sacrificing alot of picture quality?
I don't know how someone can help you choose. It all comes down to what is important to you. 4K today is kind of a waste unless if you are using it as a computer monitor but in a few years hopefully we have more 4K content. Plus in a few years most likely all TVs will be 4K and and we will have a 4K standard.

No one goes nuts or pays a premium because a TV is 1080p and that is how 4K will probably be in a few years from now. It will be the TV standard.

So at that time you pick a nice 4K TV for your bedroom and a much lesser price and still have an 80" 1080p monster. I can't imagine an 80" 4K TV being $2,000 like the 80" M right now for years to come.

I was almost tempted to return my 64F8500 for this deal but owning a front projector with an 100" screen kept me in check for now. Lol

Of course having FALD in the P series is what really gives it a PQ advantage. That would really be the only thing I would be taking into consideration.
post #7766 of 18021 Old 11-23-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Nixon View Post
Either call Vizio or call Sam's customer service. I spoke with the online side yesterday and they said there are 130 sets in stock.
I'm about to call Sams Club CS and see what they can do. I'm really bummed because I wanted this set up before Thanksgiving.
post #7767 of 18021 Old 11-23-2014, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
so i was going to buy the 70 tonight from Best Buy...but that sale on the 65 is making me start to think harder...

Obviously its up to me in the end but can i get some opinions? (I would be price matching the 70 to the $1999 from Costco)
post #7768 of 18021 Old 11-23-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfer View Post
Are you using Calibrated Dark mode (without renaming it). That has a separate algorithm from the rest of the presets.
The Vizio also has a matte screen, while the plasma is fully reflective, so it should reflect a lot less.

The AntiGlare filter on the f8500 is one of the best out. Will it sill reflect lights you bet, but it does a better job at disbursing the light than most sets.

Sent from an system/360
post #7769 of 18021 Old 11-23-2014, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Am_I_Evil View Post
so i was going to buy the 70 tonight from Best Buy...but that sale on the 65 is making me start to think harder...

Obviously its up to me in the end but can i get some opinions? (I would be price matching the 70 to the $1999 from Costco)
I was going to do the same but the 65" has some pretty iffy reviews that are making me reconsider.
post #7770 of 18021 Old 11-23-2014, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
The AntiGlare filter on the f8500 is one of the best out. Will it sill reflect lights you bet, but it does a better job at disbursing the light than most sets.

Sent from an system/360
I found that both sets are decent with glare. However, with the P series, it reflected a line across the tv from a lamp that I have in my room. The F8500 seems to not reflect this in the same manner. Both sets are nice, but the F8500 picture just seems to impress me more. I realize I may regret not having 4k in a year but hopefully it won't be too big of a deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page