***Official 2014 Vizio P Series Owner's Thread - Page 282 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4645Likes

post #8431 of 18027 Old 12-03-2014, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
It happens all of the time. We have witnessed prior cases of copy and paste in early annuals as well as mistakes. Once Vizio is aware of the issue they should change it to reflect the correct stats. The effective refresh rate you will NOT get anywhere with. They use that term for all of their sets.
Absolutely on this. It IS an effective 120hz.

If you want to try and talk to them, you have to be honest and upfront. And part of that is the 'effective' rate doesn't matter. Effective 120 COULD be native 120. The overview pages clearly lists features the TV does not have. Native 60 with a scanning backlight can't do 24 or 120, features the TV is advertised as having. 120 is also listed in the manual. The TVs own menus also have film mode, which is turning on 24fps support for things that need it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8432 of 18027 Old 12-03-2014, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post
I ran the tests and spoke at length with two techs at Vizio that confirmed the issue with second tier techs. Things I can confirm:

1. The P502ui-B1E is identified as 1080p120 native (confirmed through AMD CCC and NVIDIA CP and EDID software)
2. The P502ui-B1E itself acknowledges that it is receiving 1080p120 (Vizio system settings)
3. The P502ui-B1E drops frames in the BlurBuster tests when operating with a 120Hz signal - exactly half of them. I attempted roughly every permutation of picture settings to no avail (BlurBuster tests)
4. The P502ui-B1E is a native 60Hz panel with 120Hz internal processing (Vizio support)
5. The P502ui-B1E manual and marketing materials that describe "High Velocity Mode for display of 1080p @ 120 fps" are incorrect. Only the P502ui-B1 and higher models support this mode. (Vizio support)

6. The P502ui-B1 and higher models are native 120Hz panels with 240Hz internal processing (Vizio support)
7. There will NOT be a firmware update to overclock the P502ui-B1E panel to a higher rate (Vizio support)

I don't have a P502ui-B1 to test Vizio's claims regarding its 120Hz performance. Since my P502ui-B1E is exhibiting darkness on the edges, it's going back to Walmart. Sad.
Real quick question...

Can you also verify which browser you used for this?

http://www.testufo.com/browser.html
post #8433 of 18027 Old 12-03-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl0ckw0rk View Post
Real quick question...

Can you also verify which browser you used for this?

http://www.testufo.com/browser.html
His screenshots show that it was done properly. When you do the test in IE it has a warning in the middle of the test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8434 of 18027 Old 12-03-2014, 07:45 PM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcFBR View Post
His screenshots show that it was done properly. When you do the test in IE it has a warning in the middle of the test.
Haha, just making sure.

post #8435 of 18027 Old 12-03-2014, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Are there banding issues with the set? Sometimes I notice it on a few things and I wasn't sure if it was just the upscaling or not.
post #8436 of 18027 Old 12-03-2014, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl0ckw0rk View Post
My problem now is all the various places that Vizio is basically deceptively marketing their product. Whether it be instances of stretching the truth to outright lies/innacuracies regarding their product features.

Oh, I agree with you, but as I pointed out, the practice of citing double the actual framerate in specs by pre-pending some qualifier like "effective" is endemic in the TV industry. All of the "inaccuracies" in the marketing overviews is just them failing to add notes to say that such and such is not the same for the B1E, but who knows whether they developed that marketing literature for the other models before the decision to manufacture the B1E was made. Given that the B1E exists it needs a bunch of annotations added to say that this or that isn't the same on the B1E.

I notice that they removed mention of great processing of 48 fps content from the overview section of all of the models' individual pages in their store. It would have been interesting to hear they could do that without odd pulldown on a 120Hz monitor.

The B1E is strange product. It's basically a model line onto itself with only one size; it should have been dubbed "O-Series" or something (there's a sort of "D-Series" but it was unclear exactly what the difference between the E500i-B1 and the D500i-B1 is. Lot's of people are going to buy this model thinking that it's the B1 at a good price. (I notice that the B1E is now back to $899.99 on Vizio's site and $898.00 at Walmart; it was $699.99 yesterday on both sites).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #8437 of 18027 Old 12-03-2014, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post
I ran the tests and spoke at length with two techs at Vizio that confirmed the issue with second tier techs. Things I can confirm:

1. The P502ui-B1E is identified as 1080p120 native (confirmed through AMD CCC and NVIDIA CP and EDID software)
2. The P502ui-B1E itself acknowledges that it is receiving 1080p120 (Vizio system settings)
3. The P502ui-B1E drops frames in the BlurBuster tests when operating with a 120Hz signal - exactly half of them. I attempted roughly every permutation of picture settings to no avail (BlurBuster tests)
4. The P502ui-B1E is a native 60Hz panel with 120Hz internal processing (Vizio support)
5. The P502ui-B1E manual and marketing materials that describe "High Velocity Mode for display of 1080p @ 120 fps" are incorrect. Only the P502ui-B1 and higher models support this mode. (Vizio support)

6. The P502ui-B1 and higher models are native 120Hz panels with 240Hz internal processing (Vizio support)
7. There will NOT be a firmware update to overclock the P502ui-B1E panel to a higher rate (Vizio support)

I don't have a P502ui-B1 to test Vizio's claims regarding its 120Hz performance. Since my P502ui-B1E is exhibiting darkness on the edges, it's going back to Walmart. Sad.
My vertical frequency always says 60. Is that a concern or what would make it say 120. Or does that even matter?
post #8438 of 18027 Old 12-03-2014, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm having issues with the 65" motion blur being really hard on my eyes. Clear action does nothing but dim the screen and smooth motion causes very bad blocking on fast moving objects even on low. I really want to like this tv but the problem it is causing with my eyes concerns me. Is it something I'd get used to? Should I consider the Sony 850B line? I really like the blacks this tv produces. It was a big selling point for me.
post #8439 of 18027 Old 12-03-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Patrick Jordan View Post
My vertical frequency always says 60. Is that a concern or what would make it say 120. Or does that even matter?
You should only expect it to say a different number if you are feeding it 24fps content, or 120fps content. But since it's a 60hz TV, you are generally going to want it to say 60.
post #8440 of 18027 Old 12-03-2014, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 5166
I'm, finally pretty happy with my calibration settings for Calibrated Dark - went with BT.1886 because a straight power-law gamma of 2.4 appeared too dark to me.

Below is my attempt to capture the famous 'light cycle' scene from Tron II. Can't say anything about the camera quality of my iPhone - it seems to lightly amplify light levels - but I don't see any signs of blooming while watching this scene in the dark, and I'll let you be the judge of how it compares to the standard LED/LCD pictures. Picture sequence:

1: Picture taken with my iPhone of my P70

2: LED/LCD with local dimming demonstrating halo/bloom

3: LED/LCD without local dimming showing poor black levels without any halo/bloom

I also measured black levels of the letterbox bars when watching Dark Knight calibrated to 100 cd/m2 peak. During dark scenes, letterbox bars measure 0.002 cd/m2 (50,000:1 effective contrast to peak bright) and during bright scenes, letterbox bars measure 0.007 cd/m2 (14,300:1 effective contrast ratio to peak bright). I have used 0.007 cd/m2 for my black level when defining the luminance targets for BT.1886.

This TV is not easy to calibrate but puts out a phenomenal image for dark room viewing once properly calibrated (especially for the $2000 it cost me). Once a 70" OLED costs under $3000 and delivers good near-black screen uniformity, I'll consider it, but until then, I am set with the P70 (and no longer even interested in the P65). Of course if the new firmware release introduces new bugs, all bets are off...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P70small.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	401082   Click image for larger version

Name:	local-dimming-plasma.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	401090   Click image for larger version

Name:	local-dimming-without.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	401106  

Last edited by fafrd; 12-03-2014 at 10:05 PM.
post #8441 of 18027 Old 12-03-2014, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 5166
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
I'm, finally pretty happy with my calibration settings for Calibrated Dark - went with BT.1886 because a straight power-law gamma of 2.4 appeared too dark to me.

Below is my attempt to capture the famous 'light cycle' scene from Tron II. Can't say anything about the camera quality of my iPhone - it seems to lightly amplify light levels - but I don't see any signs of blooming while watching this scene in the dark, and I'll let you be the judge of how it compares to the standard LED/LCD pictures. Picture sequence:

1: Picture taken with my iPhone of my P70

2: LED/LCD with local dimming demonstrating halo/bloom

3: LED/LCD without local dimming showing poor black levels without any halo/bloom

I also measured black levels of the letterbox bars when watching Dark Knight calibrated to 100 cd/m2 peak. During dark scenes, letterbox bars measure 0.002 cd/m2 (50,000:1 effective contrast to peak bright) and during bright scenes, letterbox bars measure 0.007 cd/m2 (14,300:1 effective contrast ratio to peak bright). I have used 0.007 cd/m2 for my black level when defining the luminance targets for BT.1886.

This TV is not easy to calibrate but puts out a phenomenal image for dark room viewing once properly calibrated. Once a 70" OLED costs under $3000 and delivers good near-black screen uniformity, I'll consider it, but until then, I am set with the P70 (and no longer even interested in the P65). Of course if the new firmware release introduces new bugs, all bets are off...

I don't know why I was not able to load the plasma picture in the original post, so here is the plasma picture along with my photo of my P70 (again). All of the other pictures were copied from the rtings.com website.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	local-dimming-plasma.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	401114   Click image for larger version

Name:	P70small.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	401122  
post #8442 of 18027 Old 12-03-2014, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I recently bought a vizio P502ui-B1E, it looks really good at 4k but I noticed a defect.

When using with my pc at 1080p mode at 120hz, it randomly losses signal. It gets annoying when Im playing 1080p games at above 60fps, because that random lost of signal ruins the game.

At 4k @ 60fps however, it never losses signal...When playing my Xbox One or PS4 in HDMI 5, it never losses signal.

So can this tv not handle 120hz in HDMI5? Im gonna return it but Im wondering if this is just a normal problem with this tv set or is it just a defective unit?

I noticed somebody else got this problem when googling it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by traumadisaster View Post
yes. I lose signal every once in awhile on pc at 120hz, pretty annoying during a game.
post #8443 of 18027 Old 12-03-2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGladUmad View Post
So can this tv not handle 120hz in HDMI5? Im gonna return it but Im wondering if this is just a normal problem with this tv set or is it just a defective unit?

The reason why you should return it is because it's a 60Hz panel which can't actually display 120Hz. If you want that, you should get the P502ui-B1 (not -B1E), or one of the other P-Series models (all of the others are 120Hz panels). Be aware that only the B1E seems to be available from Walmart so don't buy there.

post #8444 of 18027 Old 12-03-2014, 11:57 PM

Liked: 11
Am I the only one that has a problem with the constant dimming of the zones, or is my set defective? Any scene that is remotely dark has zones being turned on and off with any slight camera movement. Sometimes the camera isnt even moving and zones cant figure out if they should be on or off. It is distracting to watch like this. I personally prefer the picture with the active dimming turned off, but then I lose the black depth, and that is part of the reason I bought the TV. I mentioned earlier in a post that it is even noticeable in bright scenes like football. I notice zones in the field dimming back and forth with any camera movement. I am pretty sure the field should stay one color no matter what. It makes the field look like its breathing if that makes any sense. I have about one more week before I can no longer return the set and I really dont want to settle with leaving the dimming zone off, or I would just buy a plasma.
post #8445 of 18027 Old 12-04-2014, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
I'm having issues with the 65" motion blur being really hard on my eyes. Clear action does nothing but dim the screen and smooth motion causes very bad blocking on fast moving objects even on low. I really want to like this tv but the problem it is causing with my eyes concerns me. Is it something I'd get used to? Should I consider the Sony 850B line? I really like the blacks this tv produces. It was a big selling point for me.
I have the same problem. Everyone suggested to turn on GLL. They say it should help with motion. I will find out during tomorrows game. It disables film mode and smooth motion, but smooth motion is unusable anyway for me also. I get the same blocking with it on which makes no sense considering I thought it was there for sports and action films. CA also does nothing on my set but dim the screen. Real disappointment, hopefully GLL fixes things. Considering its still a 120Hz panel with CA off (assuming CA is why they market it at 240) there should be no motion problems imo. My Samsung was 120Hz and I never had a problem.
post #8446 of 18027 Old 12-04-2014, 12:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
I don't know why I was not able to load the plasma picture in the original post, so here is the plasma picture along with my photo of my P70 (again). All of the other pictures were copied from the rtings.com website.

What plasma is that & which is which?
post #8447 of 18027 Old 12-04-2014, 12:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by socci View Post
Am I the only one that has a problem with the constant dimming of the zones, or is my set defective? Any scene that is remotely dark has zones being turned on and off with any slight camera movement. Sometimes the camera isnt even moving and zones cant figure out if they should be on or off. It is distracting to watch like this. I personally prefer the picture with the active dimming turned off, but then I lose the black depth, and that is part of the reason I bought the TV. I mentioned earlier in a post that it is even noticeable in bright scenes like football. I notice zones in the field dimming back and forth with any camera movement. I am pretty sure the field should stay one color no matter what. It makes the field look like its breathing if that makes any sense. I have about one more week before I can no longer return the set and I really dont want to settle with leaving the dimming zone off, or I would just buy a plasma.
Watch with only "Calibrated Dark Mode" picture option.
Don't rename it or anything. It has a completely different algorithm with the LED zones than the rest of the picture presets.
You won't notice the zones dimming or see any bloom with that mode on.
post #8448 of 18027 Old 12-04-2014, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfer View Post
Watch with only "Calibrated Dark Mode" picture option.
Don't rename it or anything. It has a completely different algorithm with the LED zones than the rest of the picture presets.
You won't notice the zones dimming or see any bloom with that mode on.
CD isnt as bad, but it is still there. I thought maybe my backlight was too high, but it doesnt seem to make much of a difference. Also CD is way too dark for any daytime sports viewing, and it seems like there is no way I can brighten it enough. Maybe I shouldnt be using Gamma 2.4 for CD?

The only way I can get blooming to go away on CD is to turn my backlight down to under 10.

Last edited by socci; 12-04-2014 at 12:34 AM.
post #8449 of 18027 Old 12-04-2014, 12:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
FALD for P70

How does one turn this on and off? I can't find the option for it
post #8450 of 18027 Old 12-04-2014, 12:33 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
The reason why you should return it is because it's a 60Hz panel which can't actually display 120Hz. If you want that, you should get the P502ui-B1 (not -B1E), or one of the other P-Series models (all of the others are 120Hz panels). Be aware that only the B1E seems to be available from Walmart so don't buy there.
So it's a fake 120hz? So when I play @ 120fps PC gaming, it's not really 120hz?

Do the other P series model have problem with random no signal black screens at 120hz in HDMI5 from PC?
post #8451 of 18027 Old 12-04-2014, 12:39 AM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6733 Post(s)
Liked: 6582
Quote:
CD isnt as bad, but it is still there. I thought maybe my backlight was too high, but it doesnt seem to make much of a difference. Also CD is way too dark for any daytime sports viewing, and it seems like there is no way I can brighten it enough. Maybe I shouldnt be using Gamma 2.4 for CD?

The only way I can get blooming to go away on CD is to turn my backlight down to under 10.

Calibrated Dark and make sure that you have Brightness 51 or below. Gamma 2.4 is ok for a night mode. Remember that most settings posted here are "night mode" and this will not work for daytime viewing if the environment is not light controlled. If you want a brighter daytime mode start in "calibrated" and make sure that CA is off.

Sent from an system/360
post #8452 of 18027 Old 12-04-2014, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Lascara View Post
Active dimming zones- On or Off I believe its called. Under advanced picture settings.
post #8453 of 18027 Old 12-04-2014, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Lascara View Post

The power button on the remote? Not sure what "this" is.

Sent from an system/360
post #8454 of 18027 Old 12-04-2014, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
I have the same problem. Everyone suggested to turn on GLL. They say it should help with motion. I will find out during tomorrows game. It disables film mode and smooth motion, but smooth motion is unusable anyway for me also. I get the same blocking with it on which makes no sense considering I thought it was there for sports and action films. CA also does nothing on my set but dim the screen. Real disappointment, hopefully GLL fixes things. Considering its still a 120Hz panel with CA off (assuming CA is why they market it at 240) there should be no motion problems imo. My Samsung was 120Hz and I never had a problem.
Thanks, I'll give it a shot. One thing to note is gaming on HDMI5 works great with no issues to my eyes. Only tv content and high action netflix movies. Cnet reviewer mentioned issues with his 65" HDMI1 but didn't specify exactly what. I'll move my cable over to HDMI2 and see if that helps as well.
post #8455 of 18027 Old 12-04-2014, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Active dimming zones- On or Off I believe its called. Under advanced picture settings.

Active LED zones aka ALZ

Sent from an system/360
post #8456 of 18027 Old 12-04-2014, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Calibrated Dark and make sure that you have Brightness 51 or below. Gamma 2.4 is ok for a night mode. Remember that most settings posted here are "night mode" and this will not work for daytime viewing if the environment is not light controlled. If you want a brighter daytime mode start in "calibrated" and make sure that CA is off.

Sent from an system/360
So you guys have zero blooming with CD, even letter boxes on dark backgrounds? I watched Sons of Anarchy just now on CD with backlight 29 and brightness 47 and I still get flashing zones on most dark scenes.
post #8457 of 18027 Old 12-04-2014, 12:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My 65-incher was installed today, and I told the installer -- Geek squad -- that I was going to use calibrations from either this thread or the CNET ones. He said wait a month or so and have it professionally calibrated, which coincidentally he could do for $250 or so. What's with this waiting stuff, and do I really need to have it professionally done?
post #8458 of 18027 Old 12-04-2014, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Considering its still a 120Hz panel with CA off (assuming CA is why they market it at 240)...

They market it as 240Hz because there is undefeatable backlight scanning or blinking to emulate 240Hz; CA emulates 960Hz.

post #8459 of 18027 Old 12-04-2014, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhall55 View Post
My 65-incher was installed today, and I told the installer -- Geek squad -- that I was going to use calibrations from either this thread or the CNET ones. He said wait a month or so and have it professionally calibrated, which coincidentally he could do for $250 or so. What's with this waiting stuff, and do I really need to have it professionally done?
I used the calibrations from here and they worked great. Color looks good to my eyes. How Is the motion blur on your set? Does clear action do anything but dim the screen?
post #8460 of 18027 Old 12-04-2014, 02:55 AM

I got my MINIX NEO X8-H Plus yesterday morning and played with it some last night. It is a very strange device; it's like an Android tablet in a box whose display is your television. Its overly simple IR remote is not very intuitive and the use of it is definitely not for the faint of heart. I'm not entirely sure that I'll keep it; it might not be worth the $177 that I paid for it.

It can, however, play 4K video files (both 2160x4096 and 2160x3840) encoded as HEVC or AVC. I have a downloaded copy of Sintel but hadn't been able to play it before, since, though encoded in HEVC, it was 2160x4096 which the television multimedia VIA app won't handle. I'm not sure that it can play VP9 though, either out of files or streamed through YouTube. Further experimentation is needed.

I was surprised that I could get 2160p24 through my HDMI switch and AVR into HDMI 5, though in theory it shouldn't be a problem since it fits in the bandwidth limits of HDMI 1.4a. It seems to fry my AVR a bit though; it had trouble syncing with some sources on some inputs for a while after that--my TiVo, Xbox One, BD player and Roku 3 were toast and I thought that I might have permanently broken something (strangely, the Roku 3 was sharing an input through a switch and the two things it was sharing it with, an Xbox 360 and WD TV Live, worked fine, as did this PC. I tried plugging the AVR into HDMI 4 and all of the same problems persisted so I'm fairly sure that it was the AVR itself. So I'm going to have to connect the thing up to its very own HDMI input on the television which means that I'm not going to be able to play files with sound formats which can't be passed to my AVR through optical S/PDIF.
Compeau likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page