***Official 2014 Vizio P Series Owner's Thread - Page 395 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4644Likes

post #11821 of 18021 Old 01-21-2015, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjtiger View Post
I had a 50 B1e that had this same issue. Vizio replaced the set, so it is a panel defect.
Yeah Vizio told me they'd replace it...but if the third one does the same thing (Vizio's replacement) I can no longer return it to best buy.

Did you immediately notice a difference? Im just worried as this is my 2nd set that has shown the exact same behavior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11822 of 18021 Old 01-21-2015, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Googer View Post
The P65's main issue seems to be it's more prone to uneven brightness / DSE (dirty screen effect) than the other sizes, but not all sets have this as some owners have in fact gotten sets where this issue is either minimal or non-existent. If I was you, I'd probably roll the dice on the P65 ($1350 before tax is insane for a 65" TV putting out the picture quality it's capable of, even ignoring that it's a 4K set) and exchange as necessary. Yes it's a bit of a hassle if needed but that's why you take advantage of free delivery.

I know this isn't a best buy policy thread, but if you get free delivery from bb, will they pick it up if you want to exchange/return it?

And I guess I'd like to know if Vizio says they'll replace a screen with bleeding, etc... how does that exchange process work? I'm 95.7% sure I'm buying the 65in today.

Last edited by Grahamdini; 01-21-2015 at 09:26 AM. Reason: sure
post #11823 of 18021 Old 01-21-2015, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for all the replies so far. Well I found the p70 at Costco for 1999.00 and if I can get BB to match it and knock off the 10% for my fresh start coupon I may just make the jump to the 70 to avoid the 65's issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11824 of 18021 Old 01-21-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamdini View Post
I know this isn't a best buy policy thread, but if you get free delivery from bb, will they pick it up if you want to exchange/return it?

And I guess I'd like to know if Vizio says they'll replace a screen with bleeding, etc... how does that exchange process work? I'm 95.7% sure I'm buying the 65in today.
When i spoke to Vizio about the screen bleeding they offered a delivered replacement to my house - even though i purchased it at best buy.
post #11825 of 18021 Old 01-21-2015, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Not necessary but a color tuner reset makes entering new settings quicker.
Thank you and thanks for all your contributions.
post #11826 of 18021 Old 01-21-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoskywalker View Post
When i spoke to Vizio about the screen bleeding they offered a delivered replacement to my house - even though i purchased it at best buy.
Awesome, thanks, I think I'm going to ask if I can look at it in store to see if it suffers from banding, my guess is they won't let me, but I might as well try.
post #11827 of 18021 Old 01-21-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Awesome, thanks, I think I'm going to ask if I can look at it in store to see if it suffers from banding, my guess is they won't let me, but I might as well try.
PLEASE DO and let me know if you see it. If you do get it, please try playing Season 2 Episode 1 of House of Cards on Netflix and let me know if you see what i posted (if you would be so kind).
post #11828 of 18021 Old 01-21-2015, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Hi All,

Im on my 2nd P65 in two days from Best Buy that both had this issue on the left and right with almost an "edge-bleed" type look. Comparison shots of House of Cards on Netflix are attached: one being from the P65 and the other from my E42.

Anyone else seeing this?
Do you see the same issue on other inputs? I found that I needed to turn the brightness down a few ticks (to 47) on my VIA input, because Netflix stuff wasn't giving me true blacks otherwise.
post #11829 of 18021 Old 01-21-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compeau View Post
Do you see the same issue on other inputs? I found that I needed to turn the brightness down a few ticks (to 47) on my VIA input, because Netflix stuff wasn't giving me true blacks otherwise.
Yeah Im seeing it on everything from Netflix to my WDTV (mkvs) and PS4. Its strange because my E series doesn't show this one bit. Just worried that two in a row had this and i don't want this to be "expected behavior)
post #11830 of 18021 Old 01-21-2015, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
You missed my point.

Full screen slides.. It seems people have missed my point more than once. I never said you saw issues. My point was if you are watching the TV and don't seen any issues with all of the content you've watched then why are you going to purposefully try to go and look for possible defects? I'll put it this way, if you go looking hard enough you'll always find something. If you didn't see it before, but now find "something" you may endlessly obsess over trying to find it in regular content. Now what happens if what was discovered is something you now see and ruins your experience because you know what to look for. You'll be back at square one.

Pretty much sums it up. Unless there are glaring issues ((which some people have had) sometimes just enjoying the TV is a great "option". The obsession that is had icon this forum while sometimes fun can also lead you down a road of second guesses, and total dissatisfaction where before you were happy. Not always a bad thing, but as killrob said ignorance can be bliss at times

Sent from nowhere
(Dating myself here, but I'll continue anyway...)

In the late 1970's. there was a guy named Werner Erhard who developed a self-awareness program called Erhard Seminars Training, aka EST. A couple I knew attended, and they pronounced it life-changing. Perhaps it was; I never attended. But when I asked them how it changed their lives, they said that they were asked questions and had to look inside themselves thoroughly to answer them. The question I remember best of those they told me was. "Is it better to have what you want, or to want what you have?"

I've considered this ever since. I've found more happiness in wanting what I have. That doesn't mean I don't want new things. It means that I second-guess my decisions less, and I am at peace with the results I have.

Just a thought pursuant to this discussion.
creator2000 likes this.
post #11831 of 18021 Old 01-21-2015, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjtiger View Post
I had a 50 B1e that had this same issue. Vizio replaced the set, so it is a panel defect.
Yeah Vizio told me they'd replace it...but if the third one does the same thing (Vizio's replacement) I can no longer return it to best buy.

Did you immediately notice a difference? Im just worried as this is my 2nd set that has shown the exact same behavior.
The new set is flawless. Mine was actually a little worse than yours. That bleeding by the bezel isn't normal.
neoskywalker likes this.
post #11832 of 18021 Old 01-21-2015, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryscott621 View Post
You'll need to first get the updated firmware in order to get access to the UHD content through the Amazon app.
I have the new firmware. Is there anything special that I need to do to get to the 4K content?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
post #11833 of 18021 Old 01-21-2015, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Quote:
The P65's main issue seems to be it's more prone to uneven brightness / DSE (dirty screen effect) than the other sizes, but not all sets have this as some owners have in fact gotten sets where this issue is either minimal or non-existent. If I was you, I'd probably roll the dice on the P65 ($1350 before tax is insane for a 65" TV putting out the picture quality it's capable of, even ignoring that it's a 4K set) and exchange as necessary. Yes it's a bit of a hassle if needed but that's why you take advantage of free delivery.

If they delivery it you get free pick up and exchange they swap out my sets.
post #11834 of 18021 Old 01-21-2015, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6619 Post(s)
Liked: 6426
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolisdead View Post
I have the new firmware. Is there anything special that I need to do to get to the 4K content?

For Amazon they have a special UHD section on the main screen. Also most of their "Pilot Season" episodes are available in UHD.

Sent from nowhere
post #11835 of 18021 Old 01-21-2015, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4928
Quote:
From what I can tell, HDMI 1-4's color setting is correct for the Via apps but I haven't as of yet confirmed this is the case. I intend on figuring it out at some point for sure though (though I may have to get creative in figuring out a way of putting up some formal test screens to determine this).
I have putt patterns in through USB (MediaPlayer in ViaApps) and confirmed they match HDMI 1-4.

I assume the streaming application (Netflix, Amazon) use these same ViaApps settings as well but have no easy way to confirm.
Googer likes this.
post #11836 of 18021 Old 01-21-2015, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Three quesitons:

Does anyone know the largest size USB thumb drive that can be used in the P-series USB port? Anyone using a portable USB-powered HD in the port?

Will VP9 support come via firmware update? Would love to see support for viewing 4K Youtube videos in the VIA app.

And, after a system update, are there any PBS apps? (PBS, PBS Kids, etc)
post #11837 of 18021 Old 01-21-2015, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I think I am going to pull the trigger tonight on the P65. I am looking at $1,372 after tax using the 10% Best Buy Movers coupon and the Discover 5% Cash Back Statement Credit.

I am replacing an 8 year old 720p 42 inch Panasonic Plasma, so it is a pretty huge upgrade.
post #11838 of 18021 Old 01-21-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
PLEASE DO and let me know if you see it. If you do get it, please try playing Season 2 Episode 1 of House of Cards on Netflix and let me know if you see what i posted (if you would be so kind).
Well I asked the "magnolia" rep, who was not in his correct area, and he said that he could take it out of the box, but did not have the ability to turn it on...(apparently no where to plug it in). Sounded kind of like a crock of turds to me, but I took the risk anyway and its getting delivered Friday. I will test out HoC Friday and let you know. I really hope I get lucky, but if not I'll have to have it exchanged.

I paid $1420 with tax included, minus a couple $5 RZ certificates. We'll see if I'm still able to part with my 2010 Samsung plasma once the P65 arrives. My wife says no to a 50in TV in the bedroom...which is probably for the best, and I already have a projector in another room and really no where else for the 50in to go.

Last edited by Grahamdini; 01-21-2015 at 11:23 AM.
post #11839 of 18021 Old 01-21-2015, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Can anyone recommend a good blu-ray (cal disc or otherwise) that I can use to adjust the audio delay in my AVR to sync it up with the video?

When viewing blu-rays thru the AVR to the P70 the video lags the audio. So I increased the delay and it's definitely better but I think it's still a bit off and it has become a distraction because I find myself looking at people's mouths to see if the dialog is in sync.

Last edited by KillRob; 01-21-2015 at 11:29 AM.
post #11840 of 18021 Old 01-21-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Well I asked the "magnolia" rep, who was not in his correct area, and he said that he could take it out of the box, but did not have the ability to turn it on...(apparently no where to plug it in). Sounded kind of like a crock of turds to me, but I took the risk anyway and its getting delivered Friday. I will test out HoC Friday and let you know. I really hope I get lucky, but if not I'll have to have it exchanged.

I paid $1420 with tax included, minus a couple $5 RZ certificates. We'll see if I'm still able to part with my 2010 Samsung plasma once the P65 arrives. My wife says no to a 50in TV in the bedroom...which is probably for the best, and I already have a projector in another room and really no where else for the 50in to go.
Totally turd crock. Hope you get a nice set...i'll keep you posted as well as I plan on getting another one hopefully within the next week.
post #11841 of 18021 Old 01-21-2015, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:

I purchased the P65 on Sunday and drove it home. I went in today with the pictures I posted a few pages back about my blob on the screen.

I tried chatting with vizio and tried calling but I ran out of time and patience both times while on hold. I just left BB and showed them the pictures of the blob and they said bring it in tomorrow and they would replace it. They had 1 tv left that he went back and put on hold for me.

Im not sure which is the best way to get a replacement but since I work 7 minutes from BB it doesnt kill me to drive it back and forth. Hopefully the return process tomorrow goes off without any hassle.
post #11842 of 18021 Old 01-21-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamedev123 View Post
Three quesitons:

Does anyone know the largest size USB thumb drive that can be used in the P-series USB port? Anyone using a portable USB-powered HD in the port?

Will VP9 support come via firmware update? Would love to see support for viewing 4K Youtube videos in the VIA app.

I've gone up to 128gb USB flash stick. I know @FAD rd has done some testing as well.

Unknown, the more people that contact Vizio to add support (and not just hope they do) the better chance to have it added (if possible).

I don't remember and PBS apps off the top of my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillRob View Post
Can anyone recommend a good blu-ray (cal disc or otherwise) that I can use to adjust the audio delay in my AVR to sync it up with the video?

When viewing blu-rays thru the AVR to the P70 the video lags the audio. So I increased the delay and it's definitely better but I think it's still a bit off and it has become a distraction because I find myself looking at people's mouths to see if the dialog is in sync.

I think the S&M disc has some audio tests on it. You may want to try a mix of delay with the TVs internal option as well as your AVR.

Sent from nowhere
post #11843 of 18021 Old 01-21-2015, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
Quote:
VIA apps like Netflix are a separate input, so make sure you configure the picture settings on it like the other inputs.

When I run a VIA app all of the picture settings are the same as what they were when I started it. EDIT: With some experimentation I see that you're right--I must have changed it at some point.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill

Last edited by michaeltscott; 01-21-2015 at 11:52 AM.
post #11844 of 18021 Old 01-21-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghjeeper View Post
The P65ui-b2 is 1499 and I have a 10% off coupon.

Wow! I just looked at BB online and that's one hell of a sale price, $700 off list--they've only taken $200 off of the other models, making the P65 and same price as the P60. (Take note, WaveBoy--that's $800 for a P50, $720 if you get a BB 10% off coupon code ).

My impression is that there have been more complaints about the P65 than the P60 and P70, though some people have posted that they're quite happy with theirs. The common complaint seems to be a vertical banding problem.

post #11845 of 18021 Old 01-21-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolisdead View Post
I tried deleting and reinstalling my Amazon app, but I didn't see any difference. Am I doing something wrong?

What did you do to "delete" the Amazon app? I see a way to remove it from "My Apps" but none for deleting it from the system, making it necessary to reinstall it. (I have some problems with a couple of the apps and I'd like to see if deleting and reinstalling them would help).

post #11846 of 18021 Old 01-21-2015, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamedev123 View Post
Three quesitons:

I've gotten my 64GB flash drive as well as a 2TB USB hard drive to play through the USB port (believe I have tried NTFS as well as exFAT formatting).

Don't believe it is possible to exceed 2TB with the P70.
post #11847 of 18021 Old 01-21-2015, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
VIA apps like Netflix are a separate input, so make sure you configure the picture settings on it like the other inputs.
Do not understand. Please clarify when you get a minute. Thanks
post #11848 of 18021 Old 01-21-2015, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah123 View Post
You will notice that each time you change HDMI input or change to TV/Viaapps, the settings are independant. Whatever it the primary input you have set up to your liking, all settings will need to be copied to other inputs or ViaApps as required...
post #11849 of 18021 Old 01-21-2015, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
TV looks fine but netflix movies look really strange. Any ideas?
Think I may be referring to soe (soap opera effect). Does anyone have suggestions on how to tame down this effect? Using googer's settings for the latest fw version for my p70
post #11850 of 18021 Old 01-21-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:

The via apps much like each HDMI input can be "set" to whatever you like and when you go back to it, the input retains what it was left on.

For instance if you have HDMI 5 on calibrated dark/normal then go to via apps and change that to calibrated/computer. When you exit via apps and go to HDMI 5 it will go back to CD/N. Then when you go back to via apps it will change to C/C. The actual settings within the modes are NOT independent from what I have seen as of yet, but you can set each input to its own mode and it will "retain" it when you leave and go back.

Sent from nowhere
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page